Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default [D&D 5e] We Be Goblins, Closed to new interest

"Take the sharp metal stick and make a lotta holes." -Jula, goblin raider

I was thinking it might be fun to play in, or if nobody else steps up to GM possibly run, an all goblin campaign.
    Not necessarily the Pathfinder short that is called We Be Goblins, but that is the inspiration.

Edit: Looks like I am running it.
    Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 5e.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Combination of the We Be Goblins Modules adapted from Pathfinder and homebrew.

3. How many players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4 or 5 players, up to 2 alternatives.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

IC and OOC here on Giant.
    Will probably set up a Discord OOC as well.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Gear provided by class and background or average class wealth (1d4 = 2.5) from the starting wealth table.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No Wizards unless you want to try to roleplay around the following setting information: "Writing, after all, is bad mojo, since it can steal words out of your head and thus snatch away your soul."

See number 16.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All characters must be some variation of Goblin, Hobgoblin, or Bugbear.

To add some diversity to builds (and for the convenience of those that do not have Volo's handy) you can re-skin some of the other racial stat blocks.
    Take Halfling and swap out two traits of your choice for Darkvision and 30 ft move speed.
    Take Human and add Small and Darkvision.
    Take Gnome and swap out one trait of your choice for 30 ft move speed.
    Half-Orc as an alternate type of Hobgoblin or Bugbear.

9. By what method should players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

27 point buy.
    Cap before race modifiers is 16 (3 points to go from 15 to 16).
    The minimum score for a dump stat is 6 (which gives you a total of 4 points to put elsewhere)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

In this setting Goblins are typically Neutral evil in comparison to your typical adventuring races.
    You can choose alignment you want and we will scale it to norms of goblin society.
    This means that you can be LG and eat a jar of pickled halfling toes without worrying about repercussions.
    PVP is allowed.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

RAW

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players can use the forum roller to make their own rolls for attacks and skill checks when appropriate.
    Rolls on the IC thread should be placed in spoilers. If there is a typo on the IC thread causing the forum roller to not work move to OOC thread and leave a note so I know what the roll is for.

I would like to propose that I make the rolls for some saves and the occasional skill check for your characters for the express purpose of expediting gameplay.
    It might be a little unconventional but it should drastically reduce the back and forth posting that brings combat to a grinding halt.

If you are not sure which roll is required for a given situation, or you do not want to mess with the forum roller, just say so and I will make the relevant rolls and post the results.

I intend on making all GM rolls with physical dice because they are faster then the forum roller and are not subject to typos. If this is a problem for you please let me know.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

The following are simple weapons for goblins:

Dogslicer, 8 gp, 1d6 slashing, 2 lb. finesse, light.
    This short, curved sword is a favorite weapon of goblins, who show unusual cunning by drilling numerous holes in the blade to reduce the weapon’s weight.

Horsechopper, 10 g, 1d8 piercing or slashing, 6 lbs. reach, two-handed.
    Crafted by goblins for battling horses, this weapon is essentially a halberd sized for small creatures with an enlarged hook on the blade.

I will allow Pathfinder equipment that is non-magical and not weapons/armor.

The optional rules for flanking as shown in the dungeon masters guide are in effect.

Some minor adjustments to rules may creep in due to inspirational material and my experience with Pathfinder, I will attempt to document them as they come up.

Feel free to tweak and/or reflavor the backgrounds provided in the book.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

You are goblins of the Licktoad tribe, who live deep in Brinestump Marsh, south of the hated man-town called Sandpoint.
    His Mighty Girthness Chief Rendwattle Gutwad is in charge.
    Only his duly appointed adviser, an overdressed, pompous goblin named Slorb can handle the might of the chief ’s words without fainting from fear.

Keep it short and simple, a few paragraphs (or half dozen bullet point sentences) will do.
    If you want to be ambitious the 10 minute backstory is acceptable.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, role playing, or a combination of the above?

Hack & slash, role playing, and whatever is in the module.

16. Are your players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can players use for their characters?

Anything in the following: Players Handbook, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, and Elemental Evil Player’s Companion.
    I just got Eberron: Rising from the Last War, but I need time to review it.

Any official content that is listed legally for free online including UA, please provide a link to the relevant source material.
    Unearthed Arcana: Class Features and Revised Ranger are pre-approved.

I will consider homebrew and 3rd party content on a limited basis. A new archetype is the upper limit, an entire homebrew class is too much. Please ask first.

Please limit yourselves to only one or two UA, 3rd party, or Homebrew bits of content per character (Custom race adjustments not included).
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-11-20 at 08:27 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 5e] Interest Check We Be Goblins

There are some variant goblin races from the MtG/D&D stuff too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It sound like potentialy fun
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That sounds like a fun idea, I'm interested

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm interested in playing. I made a goblin stone sorcerer that I've been trying to find a campaign for.

If you don't want to reflavor other races, one rule I've used to allow people to play a non-optimal race/class combo is to use point buy +1. After using point buy and adding racial modifiers, players can add one to any ability score up to a maximum of 17. This lets anyone get a starting 16 in any score.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2019-11-14 at 11:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Planetar

I am possibly interested as a goblin (refluffed gnome) battle smith artificer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the option of the GM just saying you can move the racial ability modifiers around. Which is what I do for any race in any game I've run as I'm philosophically opposed to race/class combination limiting.
    (No this isn't an offer to run the game. I'm already running two and working on stuff for a third.)

8. - Top - End - #8

DrowGirl

Well it looks like we have the minimum required interest for a game.
    I will wait a few days to see if somebody else would like to GM, meanwhile I will contemplate possible campaign ideas if I end up in that roll.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question: Can I possibly play a bugbear or hobgoblin instead of a goblin? Still goblinoids.

10. - Top - End - #10

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KAmber View Post
    Question: Can I possibly play a bugbear or hobgoblin instead of a goblin? Still goblinoids.
    Ultimately it will be up to the GM. I mentioned hobgoblins in the first post.
    Forgot about Bugbears, if I end up GMing then I would allow them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Certainly interested in playing a goblin. Possibly a shadow sorcerer or Mastermind rogue. Both would be great fun!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Sounds like fun times.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    I'm interested in playing. I made a goblin stone sorcerer that I've been trying to find a campaign for.
    Please dont be a mystical being, just a tiny green dude throwing rocks. "Magic Missile" Boblin screeches as he throws pointed rocks at the dog.

I'd probably want to play a Goblin Berserker Barbarian with either this or that art.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

interest as a player pending big 16

15. - Top - End - #15

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Please dont be a mystical being, just a tiny green dude throwing rocks. "Magic Missile" Boblin screeches as he throws pointed rocks at the dog.

I'd probably want to play a Goblin Berserker Barbarian with either this or that art.
    I agree. If I play that character, he's a sapper that digs tunnels and blows up things. Mostly melee with quicken/twin booming blade and then some mining and explosive themed spells. Early spells would be mold earth, firebolt, create bonfire, catapult, shatter, erupting earth, and some melee buffs, avoiding enchantment, illusion and divination.

I'd definitely be in for a group of goblin barbarians though. I'll call dibs on zealot since you've taken berserker.

16. - Top - End - #16

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by Telemont View Post
    shadow sorcerer or Mastermind rogue. !
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    hobgoblins
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    battle smith artificer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    stone sorcerer
    Bard
    *cues ****ty A-Team theme*

*in my best gruff 80s action hero announcer voice*

A ten day ago a crack goblin unit was sent to prison by court for a crime they did commit. Nasty large ones. These goblins promptly escaped from a minimum-security stockade to the underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The G-Team.

But they most likely just make it worse.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-11-17 at 04:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

*cues ****ty A-Team theme*

*in my best gruff 80s action hero announcer voice*

A ten day ago a crack goblin unit was sent to prison by court for a crime they did commit. Nasty large ones. These goblins promptly escaped from a minimum-security stockade to the underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem... if no one else can help... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The G-Team.

But they most likely just make it worse.
    Oh my god, that's great.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

DrowGirl

Okay, unless somebody else would like to step forward to GM the G-Team, which would be awesome, I have a idea for what I might run.

How many of you have actually played the pathfinder one shot module We Be Goblins?
    If I were to GM I am thinking of running it as a starting point, then transition into a longer adventure that I will flush out some of the details on while we work through the module.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't played any pathfinder anything.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Me neither.

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomeWizardGuy

I never played pathfinder. Sounds like a great starting point.

22. - Top - End - #22

I havent but I've seen the premades because we gifted the goblin book to our old DM for his birthday.

23. - Top - End - #23

Okay, unless somebody else would like to step forward to GM the G-Team, which would be awesome, I have a idea for what I might run.

How many of you have actually played the pathfinder one shot module We Be Goblins?
    If I were to GM I am thinking of running it as a starting point, then transition into a longer adventure that I will flush out some of the details on while we work through the module.
    I've not played it. So I'd be down.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

DrowGirl

Default Re: [D&D 5e] We Be Goblins

Big 16 is now posted up at the top of this thread.
    Character selection and IC thread will happen shortly after my thanksgiving vacation ends (Around December first for those of you outside of USA.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm. Would a Horsechopper count as a monk weapon and could one use its reach with Flurry of Blows? Because a goblin Drunken Master swinging around a polearm sounds amazing.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-11-20 at 03:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #27

GnomeWizardGuy

Here's my goblin stone sorcerer. Think Rico from Penguins of Madagascar - Boom, Kaboom!

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2052101

28. - Top - End - #28

Technically Golarion's goblins are demonspawn and thus fiercely CE, but I can accept a more orderly NE approach if you want.

Which props up the question: Is this Faerun or Golarion?

I'm further gonna assume vhuman is barred and you mean standard human.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-11-20 at 07:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

So, I made a class that's all about goblins.

It's in the first draft right now, so will likely need adjusting, but DM, would this be a reasonable thing to play as? The gobliniest goblin who ever goblined?

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

I kinda want to go for a LE orderly goblin to be honest.

Spoiler
    Show