New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Entering a rotating black hole

The other night my friend told me that it was possible to enter the singularity of a rotating black hole, which seemed totally nuts to me.

I looked it up, and I found several articles that said that new mathematical models show that it would be possible to enter a singularity and emerge in another galaxy if you found the perfect path into a large enough black hole that was rotating in just the right way, but they were all short on details and any more complex research I did was too math heavy for me to make heads or tails of.

Is anyone able to explain how this concept works to me, preferably in layman's terms?

I just don't get how:

A: Why tidal shredding wouldn't occur at some point, even if it is only microscopic distance from the singularity itself.
    B: How an object with finite size could enter a 1 dimensional point at all, let alone intact.
    C: Why you would emerge in a different galaxy specifically.

Thanks!
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Entering a rotating black hole

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    The other night my friend told me that it was possible to enter the singularity of a rotating black hole, which seemed totally nuts to me.

I looked it up, and I found several articles that said that new mathematical models show that it would be possible to enter a singularity and emerge in another galaxy if you found the perfect path into a large enough black hole that was rotating in just the right way, but they were all short on details and any more complex research I did was too math heavy for me to make heads or tails of.

Is anyone able to explain how this concept works to me, preferably in layman's terms?

I just don't get how:

A: Why tidal shredding wouldn't occur at some point, even if it is only microscopic distance from the singularity itself.
    Tidal shredding would occur if you got close enough. That's why it has to be fricking HUGE.

B: How an object with finite size could enter a 1 dimensional point at all, let alone intact.
    The trick is that the singularity of a rotating black hole is a ring, so if it's big enough, and has enough rotational energy, something could theoretically go through it without getting near the singularity.

C: Why you would emerge in a different galaxy specifically.
    I don't think that's proven, though something odd might well happen.

Thanks!
    You're welcome.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The trick is that the singularity of a rotating black hole is a ring, so if it's big enough, and has enough rotational energy, something could theoretically go through it without getting near the singularity
    Cool, thank you.

Is there any way you could elaborate more on this?

I thought the whole point of a singularity was that it was a single point with mass, and therefore infinite density. Isn't a singularity with size and shape a contradiction?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Cool, thank you.

Is there any way you could elaborate more on this?

I thought the whole point of a singularity was that it was a single point with mass, and therefore infinite density. Isn't a singularity with size and shape a contradiction?
    A circle-shaped line still wouldn't have any volume. And it could sort of get shaped by an interplay between really strong gravity and really strong centrifugal force.

That being said, I think there is some maths behind the possibility of wormholes forming from donut shaped black holes, but that's usually the sort of maths that assumes extra dimensions and interprets strange rather freely. (Which is something entirely different than the math being wrong. It just leaves us with the question whether our universe is right for the math.) The idea that you could make a wormhole this way, or in fact any way, is far more speculative than the relatively solid concept of creating a ring shaped object by spinning a mass fast enough.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-11-14 at 05:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    A circle-shaped line still wouldn't have any volume. And it could sort of get shaped by an interplay between really strong gravity and really strong centrifugal force.

That being said, I think there is some maths behind the possibility of wormholes forming from donut shaped black holes, but that's usually the sort of maths that assumes extra dimensions and interprets strange rather freely. (Which is something entirely different than the math being wrong. It just leaves us with the question whether our universe is right for the math.) The idea that you could make a wormhole this way, or in fact any way, is far more speculative than the relatively solid concept of creating a ring shaped object by spinning a mass fast enough.
    Cool. That makes a lot more sense.

Still having trouble picturing actually making contract with the singularity though. Or do you skip that step and just jump through the middle like a hoop?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Cool. That makes a lot more sense.

Still having trouble picturing actually making contract with the singularity though. Or do you skip that step and just jump through the middle like a hoop?
    I think jumping through the hoop is exactly the idea.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The issue actually comes in two separate parts.

First, some maths say that if you jump into any black hole, they might be connected to other universes. The problem with most of them is that once you jump in you're on a collision course with the singularity, which means that tidal forces will tear you apart and then you'll eventually fall into nature's divide by zero error. So you can maybe see something, but you're not able to communicate with the outside world and you'll be destroyed in the not too distant future. Obviously this is less than ideal.

Then as mentioned, if the black hole is spinning in just the right way, the singularity can be a ring instead of a point. If that's the case, you may be able to fall through the hoop instead. This is just a way to do the above and not die, although it's very tentatively theoretical right now.

Relevant wiki link, if you want the idea without too much math.