Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default I play in a No Death, No Friendly Fire table. How can this be exploited for fun? Theo

Theoretically of course, I love these madlads too much to exploit this too hard for real, but... theoretically...

My gaming group houserules away player death and friendly fire. Splash damage, explosions, big weapon swings, these things can't hurt allies even if you want them to because magic anf the gods say so.

As for Death, you can die at any time if you write Hardcore Mode on your sheet, but nobody does that as "you faint like a Pokemon at 0HP and get back up with 1HP when the fighting is done, also whenever you unquestionably die due to a bad roll and fall off a cliff into lava for example, The Power Of Friendship can revive you Lego Star Wars style" means you don't have to worry about cheap deaths and bad rolls "ruining the game".

How can these things be exploited, theoretically speaking? I might do any fun things mentioned here but anything that goes too far suggested is theoretical only.

edit: When you die in a fight and faint, then you have to run out of the collapsing cave or whatever, you'll wake up for that. I've never tested this to see how far the immortality here can be pushed but that's something I remembered after posting: fight in a cave, Aarok dies, cave starts collapsing, he gets back up and we run out of there. Then the cave is blocked so we had to find another way in. I suggested swimming and checking the waterfall. But no. There was a back entrance and it's ordinary.
    Last edited by MatrixStone93; 2019-11-14 at 11:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I play in a No Death, No Friendly Fire table. How can this be exploited for fun?

For a relatively tame example, spells like Detonate become somewhat more appealing options for casters. Plus you'll never need to take Selective Spell, which is nice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I play in a No Death, No Friendly Fire table. How can this be exploited for fun?

Does that mean casting Antimagic Field won't affect yourself or your party? What about crowd controls like Web, Sleet Storm, etc.? Just go full exploit mode with area of effects.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd just go warmage and enjoy blasting away. Maybe take Arcane Thesis (fireball).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Have the party wizard put explosive runes on everyone's armor, every morning.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

City Bomb as a routine combat action is the real answer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 16bearswutIdo View Post
    ROFLMAO! And the winner is .....
    Currently Playing:
    A Very Laid back gestalt game

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Does this apply to companion creatures, too? Because that would actually make the detonate psicrystal power useable.
    Tanuki in the Playground.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Obviusly, you should theach you DM the "errors" of his way and use so much cheese it will collapse on itself creating a milky black hole by......becoming The Comedic Relief!
    I mean, from what you said, everyone is having fun, so why not?
    Last edited by TheCount; 2019-11-15 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typoes
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Also pseudodragons takes easily more screen time than "true" dragons.
    (but it is fair: "true" dragons are not telepathic venomous flying cats and so does not deserve screen time like a pseudodragon)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Wait for an artefact grade plot McGuffin to come along, and cast Disjunction.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Create bags of holding and portable holes. Combine at your leisure.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Teleport the entire party into the heart of the sun.

What you are really talking about here is consequence free gaming and that sucks frankly.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post

What you are really talking about here is consequence free gaming and that sucks frankly.
    If the table's having fun, I wouldn't say it sucks.

It might suck FOR YOU, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps look up the Death Throes spell?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

Cast detonate on yourself and willingly fail the save. You die instantly, but every non-ally around you is probably coming too.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-11-16 at 02:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

Why not judge my optimization competition, thereby earning fame and glory? It's surprisingly easy! Military Games Act II: Mounted Defense

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You get to play a Wizard as meme'd. That is, the only spell you know once you get it is Fireball.

Just Fireball.

Just. Fireball.

JUST. FIREBALL.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Wait for an artefact grade plot McGuffin to come along, and cast Disjunction.

Ehhhhhh.... it's not strictly consequence free. As RAW this wouldn't, for example, stop Disjunction from draining your magic powers if you fail the save (better stack those Will Save buffs). There are consequences other than Death (looking at the srd Imprisionment and Baleful Polymorph are utterly unaffected by the strictest reading).

Plus as said, as long as everybody's having fun what does it matter? While it's not how I expect D&D works, I'd be shocked if I was playing a game based on My Little Pony and such a rule wasn't used (barring some scenarios). It's like calling meatgrinder campaigns achievement free gaming, it's not actually true and even if it was who cares as long as everybody has fun.

Lethality is a tool to determine game tone. I like the threat of death hanging over characters, but I prefer it to come from permenancy rather than ease. The best game I ever played had no ressurrection but the GM was very careful to give an out requiring no more than a bribe and Diplomacy check for every problem. (We obviously then stole the bribe back.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by 16bearswutIdo View Post
    Cast Apocalypse From the Skies to abuse both rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

19. - Top - End - #19

I remember hearing about some earlier RPGs that tried tinkering with a "no death" rule, that devolved into comedy games as PCs regularly committed blatantly suicidal actions and saw how the GM would save them. That's one option.

AOEs obviously become a lot stronger with only a modicum of positioning. There are lots of ways to get enemies to bunch up, either by having one tanky guy try to draw aggro or by having the party members all act in close quarters. Although I have a feeling that everyone at the table would consider this a feature of the system rather than a bug.

There are a few spells and abilities that outright kill you or otherwise severely mess you up if you use them, but frankly at the levels those come on line it's trivial to raise the dead or undo most misfortunes. So all your houserule really does at that point is save you some diamond dust.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

That sounds like a Looney Tunes cartoon.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Frenzied Berzerker is a good one--its main problems are friendly fire and falling apart at -54 HP when the frenzy ends.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Frenzied Berzerker is a good one--its main problems are friendly fire and falling apart at -54 HP when the frenzy ends.
    To be fair, most people fall apart at -54 hp.

23. - Top - End - #23

I was going to say Transcend Mortality, but all the bonuses it gives are defensive anyway.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStone93 View Post
    It actually is very similar to the death rules used in Toon.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixStone93 View Post
    I do love Looney Tunes...

The older stuff, especially.

But not the REALLY old stuff. A lot of that was...not so good. For all sorts of reasons.

Still, I'm all in favor of not dying!
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2019-11-16 at 03:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    To be fair, most people fall apart at -54 hp.
    Not me. I'm at a table with no negative hit points! Yay, Pokemon rules

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Grab 100 necklace of fireballs and do a death from above attack from 1000 feet in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, your roleplaying guide is pretty much "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a confusing corpse"?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

if "for fun" means "to have some laughs" and not to break balance, you could have some fun with your character inexplicable frequent deaths and inexplicable comebacks. We had a druid with a very weak wolf companion, and it gradually shifted to comical relief. In the end I granted it this cheat death power, and he became something akin to the bard from the gamers. we all had a lot of fun whenever the wold was mentioned
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert