New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Is D&D too hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    I don't follow. Could you please elaborate?
    I mean "experience equal to fighting the dungeon" doesn't work when there is no fixed dungeon. In a sandbox world, you often have to make up stuff on the fly. And PCs have a tendency to go onto WIDELY different paths that you never thought of. Flexibility and adaptability are an absolute must.

But if you throw stronger monsters then, under the xp method, you accelerate level progression far faster than if you did "Equal to ecl" encounters. Since, in my experience, "Equal to ecl encounters" generally equates to cakewalk, I tend to pit my PCs against actually challenging monsters that are well above their CR. With no TPKs to date, I seem to have a knack for identifying and making challenging but not party wiping encounters. (No TPKs, but plenty of character deaths)

So, I decide ahead of time when my PCs should be level X based on larger events within my world, rather than "exp should equal this after X many monsters have been killed."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

If D&D was easy then it will be a very boring game.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    So, I decide ahead of time when my PCs should be level X based on larger events within my world, rather than "exp should equal this after X many monsters have been killed."
    This is more or less what we do. Also we play Pathfinder so no spending xp for anything. :p

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoalpha View Post
    This is more or less what we do. Also we play Pathfinder so no spending xp for anything. :p
    Same. Even when I ran 3.5 I always hand waved the xp cost of crafting. It was a bs mechanic in my opinion. It doesn't even make much sense. How can we have these gigantic magic marts when crafting required xp costs?

Instead, I wrote a very different requirement into my universe. It needs something to bond the magic to the item. One such thing that was in widespread use was elemental souls. This was kept secret from anyone who wasn't a magic crafter. Another possible way is to place a part of a magical or planar creature into the item in question. ie: a feather from an angel's wing, a dragon's claw, etc. Only problem with this use is that it twists the magic towards the alignment of the creature the item came from. A paladin with a sword that was created using a demon claw would feel uneasy every time he picked it up. That sort of thing. I like this a lot better than standard magic item crafting rules.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I mean "experience equal to fighting the dungeon" doesn't work when there is no fixed dungeon. In a sandbox world, you often have to make up stuff on the fly. And PCs have a tendency to go onto WIDELY different paths that you never thought of. Flexibility and adaptability are an absolute must.

But if you throw stronger monsters then, under the xp method, you accelerate level progression far faster than if you did "Equal to ecl" encounters. Since, in my experience, "Equal to ecl encounters" generally equates to cakewalk, I tend to pit my PCs against actually challenging monsters that are well above their CR. With no TPKs to date, I seem to have a knack for identifying and making challenging but not party wiping encounters. (No TPKs, but plenty of character deaths)

Ok, got you.

Yeah, it isn't really a pure sandbox, more of a freeform hex-crawl. The players were wandering monster hunters, and they got milestone XP for killing one of forty legendary beasts that roamed the wilderness in the region. Half of these monsters were in dungeons, and those that were gave out an XP reward roughly equal to clearing the entire dungeon, even if the players ignored or bypassed the actual fights.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

In my games most encounters are overpowering at least. But more often than not my players (all of whom are beginners) are enjoying it and are successful at overcoming them (with some DM help here and there on my part, which they usually don't even notice). So I'd say it's just that people you're talking to aren't the people this game is meant for.