New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default IC Lords of Ruin (Spheres PF1)

The day starts as usual, with a dreary grey sky, with clouds dampening the light. Other inmates in the camp form a line to get their morning meal, most shuffling like sedated zombies, with despair and self-defeat on their faces. They air's scent is fetid, due to the lack of bathing and waste removal. The Fire Giant and Muspelblut guards seem to carry themselves with an air of superiority, pushing around several of the smaller and more docile inmates. The camp is surrounded by a wall of iron mesh, converted with several barbs and blades. Like many of the other inmates, you have metal cuffs on your wrist, suppressing any magic you might otherwise possess. Even those without any skill in magic are similarly cuffed, as it ensures none are missed, even magic tattoos.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, you are all more or less standing amidst the crowd. You may introduce and describe yourself to others at this point
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-11 at 07:50 PM.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: IC Lords of Ruin (Spheres PF1)

One of the prisoners stood out as a Muspelblut himself, a scarred and craggy man who held his head high in spite of his chains. His crest of red hair was long enough now to droop over the stubble that had grown in at the sides of his skull, and his braided beard was similarly fraying and unkempt.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Krova is like a chiseled statue of ice, her pale blue skin stretched tight over lean, corded muscle and patterned with pale tattoos etched by her own hand. Her face is long, her black eyes angled, and her snow-white mane tied up in braids. Without anything to do in the crowd, she just waits for the meal to come. She'd never realized how ugly Fire Giants and their children were before she'd met them, not that such things are very high on her list of problems. But one's minder wanders when stuck in a camp like this, especially considering she isn't distracted by the chill other prisoners complain about. Just the hunger, and the lack of freedom, and, oh yes, the fact that she's separate from the civilization she came down her to find in the first place. Doubly annoying, that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 68/68

A wiry, wrinkled gnome sidles up to the muspelblut. "Hey there big fella. Name's Calben, Calben Traser. Is this your first time in a prison camp?". He leans in and whispers conspiratorially "It's not my first time". "What you want to do is, you want to get your hands on some kind of weapon. If you could find something for me as well, I'd be much obliged".

Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A wiry looking man with odd blue markings running up and down his arms stands in the line for the morning meal. Eshegan keeps his head hunched down, trying to avoid drawing attention, but keeping an eye to the left and the right. As he has done every morning since being dragged to this place, he clenches his fists, trying to draw on his elemental power... nothing still. He felt... empty. Drained. But he kept an eye out for an opportunity. If he could just slip these cuffs, regain access to his magic, he could get out of here. Maybe fry some of these fire giants on the way out. But for now... stay low and wait.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Eshegan was part of an adventuring group before he was captured--if anyone wants to say we know each other from beforehand, let me know. Or I can be the only one of the group that was captured.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

A tall man with a commanding air stands out among the other prisoners. Xerxes' straight posture and direct gaze are a stark contrast to the tattered rags he is forced to wear. His face might be handsome, if it wasn't a mass of cuts and bruises. He'd picked fought with the guards to protect some of the humanoids, with predictable results. He refused to be cowed by these barbarians. To torment the weak showed their lack of honor; that five of them had jumped in fully armored to beat him down when he stepped in showed their cowardice. He would escape and put these animals to the sword. But now, unarmed and bereft of his power, he needed allies. He approaches the tattooed Jotunblut. You don't seem nearly as frightened of the fire giants as most here. Or as unfamiliar with battle. How did they capture you?

7. - Top - End - #7

Krova glances at the human that has approached her, and he's even starting conversation. A lovely change from...well, her initial reception. She might have preferred the setting of the former and the conversation of the current, assuming it goes well.

It immediately doesn't, as he brings up her getting captured.

"Eh...you know how they are. Big and ugly and bastards. They did it bastardly." Krova bristles. "It must have been the same for you, Man."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

He chuckles, his face lightening briefly. Succinct and to the point. Well put. And you aren't wrong. They ambushed my men and I, lured us in by attacking a village. Then, when we rode to the rescue, their reinforcements sprung. No sense of honor, slaughtering innocents like that for a tactical advantage. They are, as you say, bastards. No offense meant at all, I can see you're quite capable. It happened to the best of us, or we wouldn't find ourselves here, would we? He extends his hand. Xerxes Vesh, Praetor-Conjurant in the King's service. The real question is, now that we are here, what are we going to do about it?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    "What you want to do is, you want to get your hands on some kind of weapon."
    "No ****. If I found one I wouldn't be here right now. But," he sighed, "the first thing you want to do is find out who you can trust. Clearly I can't trust my own kind. So: I am Volistad. Pleased to meet you."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-03-12 at 11:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Krova takes a second to recognize the gesture, then reaches out and gives Xerxes a firm, brief handshake. He looks like he could take a full-strength shake, but apparently that's not polite.

"Krova; I don't have any titles, but nice to meet you, Xerxes Vesh," She looks around after his question and shrugs. "Wait for them to leave an opening? I could fight, but, not against so many, and then I would get an axe in my head and I would not be imprisoned but also I would not be alive. So that would be bad."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There is some muttering amongst the guards, as a new procession of prisoners are led into the yard, one of whom appears to be hobbled, leaning on a cane. His face is covered from the shadow of his ratty cloak's hood. One of the guards kicks the cane out of his hands and he stumbles forward, falling to the ground, his face getting covered in mud. The giants start laughing uproariously, as one of them gives Volistad a condescending look. "Here's another playmate for you, ashborn." As the guards leave, the man struggles to get to his feet as he stumbles in an attempt to reach his cane.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"**********s." Volistad swore colorfully under his breath as he stepped over to the old man to help him up. "Relax, they're just trying to scare you."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy, in case it's needed or would help calm him down: (1d20+18)[26]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Xerxes retrieves the man's cane and hands it to him. Here you go. He looks up at Volistad appraisingly. That was honorable of you. I take it you are not well-loved by our captors? That didn't sound like a term of endearment.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The man gratefully accepts his cane back.

Spoiler: Reflexive roll for Xerxes
    Show
    (1d20+6)[26]

Xerxes goes to collect the cane and notices it is oddly heavy, even for being what seems to be solid wood.

As the man reaches for the cane, a tattoo along his wrist and forearm are revealed, and the pattern seems to be of Dwarven design.

Xerxes takes a moment to contemplate what he just saw and recognizes the man as his former Swordmaster, though he seems to have been disguised to hide his age. Non-magical in design, there was no glamer or figment to suppress.

Spoiler: Xerxes
    Show
    The tattoos seem somewhat similar to Krova's, since both Giant and Dwarven utilize the same runic alphabet (one is merely an offshoot of the other). You've seen the tattoos before during training), however, the Swordmaster never fights unarmed, so it seems strange that he has them. I am debating if you would know his name, since those under him simply call him swordmaster
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-14 at 12:32 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser
    Perception +4|AC 23 (+4 vs giants), Touch 12, FF 22, CMD 15|Fort +6 Ref +4|HP: 68/68

"And welcome to sunny Camp Wedonwantcha. The right honorable gentleman here is Volistad, and I am Calben. Let's get you cleaned up, and I'll give you the not-so-grand tour.""

Seeing Xerxes's interest in the newcomer, he sticks out his normal, well proportioned hand for the big guy to shake.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-03-14 at 12:56 AM.
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"It's not a term of endearment. If they loved us, they wouldn't be our captors," Volistad pointed out wryly.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Looking down to see the Gnome stick out his hand, he considers a moment before shaking it. He speaks, yet while his voice is soft it does carry a more youthful tone than one would expect of an older human. "I am not comfortable working with giant-kin, but this feels like an enemy mine situation. I can help get us out of here, but it will take a group effort." He taps his cane against his leg, and as he does, you can hear a distinct metallic sound inside, probably blade against sheathe. "These guards are far from elites, but they have numbers. I suspect a distraction could help take care of a majority."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-14 at 11:26 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Xerxes shakes Calben's hand. A pleasure to meet you, Calben and Volistad. I am Xerxes Vesh. You seem in high spirits, given the situation.

As Xerxes realizes who the man is, he gasps. Mindful that they are not alone, he holds the Swordmaster up by one arm and speaks to him face-to-face. Father?! Father, it is you! It's me, Xerxes! What are you doing here? Did grandfather send you to check on the farm? He puts one arm around the "old man's" waist to help him walk. Come on, Father. Let's get you out of the wind. He starts to walk his "father" towards shelter away from the guards.

When the Swordmaster speaks, Xerxes straightens up. Well then! I'm glad to see there's a plan, sir. We'll help any way we can. Did you happen to see where they're keeping our gear or the keys to these cuffs? We'd be of more use armed with more than fists.

Show
    Xerxes can't actually fail the DC 15 Bluff check to send a secret message. He's asking whether the King sent him to check on/resolve this giant situation, but first they need to move somewhere more private.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2020-03-14 at 11:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Well, yes and no. I have no idea when you arrived, but I noticed a shipping manifest, which indicated that every few weeks they send it to a nearby storage place. You could check there, though given how stacked up they were, I'd say they haven't done so for a bit yet, meaning they may still have it here, but set to ship out soon."

Looking down at his wrists and the bindings. " These cuffs dampen magic, but that energy does not seem to go anywhere. From what our recon team reported, simply cutting or breaking them off is a bad idea if you've worn them for a while. It tends to have explosive results. Otherwise, I'd cut them off of you easily. Items of consistent, stabilized energy do not seem to cause this, only power emanating from within a person. In such cases, you will need to find the keys, as they safely disperse it into the Ether. On me, they are mostly ornamental, but any of you with inner magic should be wary."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can provide a distraction. Or more, with the cuffs off. And I might be able to talk something out of a guard, if I find one who isn't a complete prick."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-03-15 at 02:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Eshegan notices the commotion of the old man being thrown to the ground, but does not immediately go over to help as the others had--keep his head down, and all. However, he does notice something odd about the man's voice--he doesn't sound quite as old as he looks--and catches a flash of the tattoos on his arms. And that fellow--Xerxes, was it? The one always picking fights with the guards on behalf of the other prisoners--seemed to be taking quite a bit of interest in him. Glancing about to make sure the guards' attention is elsewhere, he slips out of the line and cautiously follows the others, quick enough to catch the tail end of the conversation--it seems this old man was indeed more than he appeared.

"What's this about breaking the cuffs off? If you're planning a breakout, I am very interested." He looks at the others--pretty sure he doesn't know any of them, though of course he's seen them around the camp before. "Eshegan Mashka, pleased to meet you. And I think I could be quite distracting without these things." He holds his cuffs up. "Not a lot I can do with them... although I may be able to fast-talk my way past some guards if we need to."
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2020-03-15 at 09:04 AM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Well, if any of you are skilled enough at picking pockets, then by all means, try to get a key. I'm not going to cut off the cuffs, because I don't feel like standing in the center of an explosion of raw magic."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

23. - Top - End - #23

Krova passively watches the kerfuffle surrounding the man who was just tossed in. The cuffs are dangerous, they need keys, these things she knows already.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Noticing how Eshagen butts into the conversation, the Swordmaster takes a few steps back in the conversation. "What's with Sparky and the Ice Princess over there? Stormboy just inserted himself in the conversation and Frosty has been eyeing me down since I arrived. My tolerance is already worn thin trusting with Soot-Skin over here without worrying about others."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-15 at 11:01 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

25. - Top - End - #25

"I looked because there was a fuss, you silly goose," Krova clicks her tongue at the swordmaster. "I can look away if you are so shy as a teenager in a bathing pool, yes?" she asks, calling on a particular idiom she's relatively certain she got correct. It sounded legitimate when that bard told her of it, at least.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser

"This motley crew, sir, of mostly vertically over-endowed individuals, is most of this camp's complement of people who have not yet given up. Those scrapes and bruises you see are courtesy of our jailers for small acts of resistance. Once out of here, I can give all you lumbering longshanks the tongue lashing you deserve for letting it come to this, but in here, we are all united in the Prisoner's Brotherhood, and setting up arbitrary walls between us only serves our jailers. Dixit!"
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Really? Brotherhood? You don't say. How naive! This Muspelblut might be a spy inside the camp to help alert our keepers to prevent any dissidents from freeing themselves. Sure, he is ragged, but that helps sell it. As for the Jotunblut, whose to say that if we actually do manage to free ourselves, that she wouldn't just sell us out to the Frost Giants?"

As this arguing continues, two of the guards start to approach the group to try to break it up. They approach wielding very large warhammers. "You worms better break it up or we will smash you to pieces. Heck, we just might smash you to pieces now because we don't like you."
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-03-16 at 01:37 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Looking over his shoulder, the Swordmaster says, "Excellent, right on schedule. Here come the guards with our keys right now. Don't take it personal, divide and conquer is the simplest way to deal with these giants. I just needed a commotion to draw them out."

Spoiler: Initiative Rolls
    Show
    ***I am using block initiative to expedite things. Also, if and when you use a spell or ability that grants a save, you roll your DC - 10 vs the Target's relevant save +11 (essentially making you roll an attack roll vs their "AC" with respect to whichever save is relevant). I will do the same. This way, neither side needs to wait for the next post to determine if it hit its mark or not.

Initiative -

Casben (1d20+1)[19]
    Volistad (1d20+1)[15]
    Eshagen (1d20+2)[6]
    Xerxes (1d20+2)[15]
    Krova (1d20+3)[10]
    Swordmaster (1d20+4)[16]

Fire Giants (FG1 and FG2) (1d20-1)[6]

Spoiler: Map Link
    Show
    As one of you were so kind as to provide me with a template, I was able to edit the Battle Grid section for now (one of the tabs), but have not messed around with the others at the moment.

The link is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

The brown building at the top is the Processing (marked P) center. Guard barracks are nearby, but outside of the gate. The other building is the dormitory where inmates sleep (marked D).

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Calben Traser

"No sirs, please! The dice are so hot right now! I'll share with you!". Calben pleads with the giants as he approaches one of them. Coincidentally providing cover for others who might wish to engage without drawing opportunity attacks.

Selling the Bluff that this is just a gambling huddle: (1d20+16)[19]
    Semper ludens.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Eshegan stares at the man, regretting having come over--if he keeps raising this kind of commotion, he's going to draw the--

Damn. All the shouting had brought them after all...

But then--the madman actually wanted to bring the guards over? Guards with weapons, awake and looking for a fight? If they got out of this alive, Eshegan was going to have some words with the man...

Nothing for it now, and no way out of this mess. Now or never. Catching onto the gnome's bluff and without much else to do, he steps up and jumps in--maybe they can keep the dumb brutes' attention for long enough that the others can manage... something. "Hot dice? Bah! They're weighted, I'd swear it. Been robbing us blind, you have!"

Show
    Again, not a whole lot which Eshegan can really do at the moment. Pity he didn't go for quarterstaff fighting, a long wooden pole would probably be close enough for those abilities to apply.

Bluff check: (1d20+13)[25]

And yeah, this is more or less what I'm going for (2:03 for the relevant part).

-----