Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
Results 631 to 657 of 657
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Spawn of Kyuss and Kyuss Worms
    "You've only fought spawn that were once human...or human-like, I presume? I haven't fought anything else either, but I found records suggesting that other creatures can be turned too...everything from household pets to much larger, more dangerous creatures. The worms themselves seem to be the common thread and what is most dangerous, at least in my opinion. Obviously if the creature infected was horribly dangerous, like a hydra or something, it would be even worse, but a zombie dog isn't really that frightening to seasoned adventurers. A Kyuss-dog on the otherhand...well, you wouldn't fight just one and I'm sure you can see how bad things could get," responds Filge as he sits back to think. "The worms don't seem to turn everything though, and I don't yet know why. It might have something to do with the relative intelligence of the creature...and the worms, being vermin themselves, don't seem that interested in other vermin. They also don't...turn or advance other undead creatures...

    Honestly, I think the worms show a frightening degree of...not intelligence, really, but direction.
    " Seeing the confused looks on several of the listeners' faces the necromancer continues. "I mean, look at what happened here. My entire family is wiped out, but I would bet you that no one in Fork has any idea anything has happened. See, the spawn of Kyuss seem to be going about and creating little 'cells' of undead, hidden all over the countryside. They go, seemingly at random, and find and infest a little place - a home or a cave - and then they move on. They don't turn the entire town, or do anything so tumultuous as to attract any kind of attention.

    And that is what makes them so dangerous, really. None of the major churches or arcane schools believe them to be a threat because the evidence of widespread undead plagues isn't presented by the evidence,
    " Filge says, glancing at Lydia meaningfully. "Well intentioned people, even villainous power-mongers who don't want to be turned into worm-food, would fight against such a plague if they knew it existed!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Kyuss the Demi-God
    "There's not much to say, really. Among necromancers there are several kinds, and the religious ones are the worst. When a person starts to worship gods of death and undeath, there is something deeply wrong with them. I like living, for example...or at least I did - being this monster is awful...You never really know what kind of person a necromancer is until you spend time with them, and I decided that wasn't worth the risk with other necromancers a long time ago," Filge says with a shudder that his worm-body makes look just wrong. "Of the deities of undeath, Kyuss is hardly ever brought up. He's basically a dead-god. I haven't heard of anyone living who worships him at all."

    For several seconds Filge is silent. Then he takes a deep breath and sighs. "Unfortunately, in my field that doesn't mean he isn't worshipped - it means that his cult is old, and the faithful are still worshipping him even though they would have died ages ago had nature had its way. If they are found, the Cult of Kyuss won't be led by crazy, mortal priests or the like. No, it will be led by undead monsters that have worshipped the worm-God for centuries and grown more and more powerful all that time. You won't be dealing with cultists like I heard you found below Diamond Lake - you'll be dealing with liches, vampires, or something even worse and a horde of mindless undead 'followers' to destroy civilizations.

    Kyuss' church may be dead...but it will be much worse if it is un-dead.
    "

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Age of Worms Prophesy
    Filge looks at Marzena with a interested expression. "This sounds like you have learned more than me. What do you know of the eight events? I might be able to identify one or two if you can recite any of the prophecy..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Through them all the worm that walks dreams, waiting the day its heralds rouse it to feed on all that is...

    Rings a bell?"
    Filge gulps and the illusion covering his form turns a sickly shade of green. "Well, that certainly sounds familiar, though I promise, by all I am, that I am no herald of Kyuss...at least not deliberately," he responds. "I have heard of monsters like...well, me...before, and 'worm-that-walks' describes them accurately. Usually the...thing comes about when an 'unholy,'" he uses air-quotes with his hands, "spellcaster dies and is buried in soil heavily tainted by necromantic magic. Worms eat the body and take on the personality of the dead, complete with memories all the way up to their death.

    That didn't happen to me. I was attempting an alchemical experiment,
    " the necromancer glances at Olofire, "in which I was attempting to study a collection of worms to see how they interacted with a Kyuss worm. Something went wrong, the worms suddenly multiplied explosively, and the swarm got free from their container..." Filge rests his elbows on his knees and as he sits there the illusion begins to fade, leaving everyone looking at the worms crawling around instead of his face and body. He takes the hood of his cloak and covers his head and hunches down in shame. "They got to me. It hurt and I lost control. I tried to keep my mouth closed, cover my ears, close my eyes...but they burrowed into me anyway...I guess I probably died in that moment and am not really Filge Hoffman at all anymore. But I think I'm still me...and I don't want to be this abomination...

    If I am the harbinger of Kyuss and the Age of Worms, please forgive me and help find some way to put me out of my misery. Save Helen and stop all this from happening!

    If you think I might not be all of that...then please help me...
    " he finally whispers before going silent.

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Jan listens with a weary expression, increasingly mingled with horror and disgust at the description of giant, worm-ridden monstrosities and beings of ancient, undead intelligence, each fighting in their own way in service to this dead, forgotten deity. Then... the necromancer's remarks turn to himself.

    At first, the gnome seems caught up in the description, the pain, and... the wrongness of the explosive event itself. Then, as his illusion fades and the necromancer subconsciously seeks the protection of his own cloak, Jan's eyes fill with unspilled tears, and a bone-deep sadness reveals itself in her lean toward the... thing that still calls itself Filge Hoffman. "Oh, Filge, you poor fool..." she murmurs, resting her forehead in the heel of one tiny hand. "A devil always cheats on his end of a bargain."

    She looks up from the floor, resting her chin on a tiny closed fist. Blinking a few tears out of the corner of her eyes, she fixes them on the necromancer. "I... for one believe you, Filge. But we can't help you; we haven't anywhere near enough power, or knowledge. I don't know if the gods themselves, whichever might be listening, know how to un-ring the bell that turned you this way. Maybe the church has priests or wizards in their ranks that could begin to pull on that thread... but that's if they don't try to smite you on sight." She sighs dispiritedly.

    "Lydia..." she begins, turning to the priestess, "what do you think? Would the church even give him a hearing? The man's in desperate need! Surely they'll give him a chance, if he comes peaceably and in the company of Heironeans in good standing, like you and Freddy!!" The gnome looks at the stern cleric with pleading eyes. "Or... could he come with us? We can, you know, keep an eye on him, and surely his expertise would come in handy! And along the way, maybe we can figure out a way to, to... to fix him?" The gnome turns her pleading eyes to the necromancer. "Wouldn't that be better than wandering the world alone, Filge? Never knowing if the worms that have taken over your body will overthrow your mind, not knowing whether you'll be found and destroyed by an uncaring crusader... or whether you will look up one day and find that you've been turned into a pawn in the hand of this... 'Kyuss'." She spits the name out, as though its taste offends her mouth.

    "Either way, there's gotta be something we can do... something..." The gnome trails off into silence.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Lydia listens quietly first as Marzena describes the intelligence the party has gathered, and then as Filge responds. She grimaces at his mention of the church not taking the threat seriously but keeps her silence.

    Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "Lydia..." she begins, turning to the priestess, "what do you think? Would the church even give him a hearing? The man's in desperate need! Surely they'll give him a chance, if he comes peaceably and in the company of Heironeans in good standing, like you and Freddy!!" The gnome looks at the stern cleric with pleading eyes.
    "I- I think so," Lydia confirms, frustrated that she cannot give a more definitive answer. "It would help to wear that illusion of the man he was, and perhaps to let me make my report before waltzing him into the Sanctum." She frowns pensively.

    Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "Or... could he come with us? We can, you know, keep an eye on him, and surely his expertise would come in handy! And along the way, maybe we can figure out a way to, to... to fix him?" The gnome turns her pleading eyes to the necromancer.
    "I like that less... As you say, his mind could be turned by those worms at any moment. And I know his condition is beyond anything I myself can mend. No, if there is a cure, the paragons will know of it. That is surely the wisest course of action." She nods to herself, then glances out to the yard where the occasional thunk of Frederick's blade upon would can still be heard. "Though, it is a course that requires consensus, and that may be too much to hope for tonight. This place is secure enough - we can camp here for tonight and finalize our decisions en route to Fork tomorrow. What say you?"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Her travel notebook spread open on her lap, Marzena's quill moves quickly, recording Filge's extensive description of the spawn in a neat, tiny script. "So, we should expect purpose, if not intelligence, from them. A pretty important insight..." A deep frown is her only comment when the necromancer talks of the cult of Kyuss not just as one of undeath, but of and by undead. But it is his question about prophetic events that gives her pause.

    "Well, unfortunately, I only got fragments. The only full sentence I remember is the one I quoted to you. About the events, I have three: Large scale destruction, I haven't heard of something like that recently; the rise of unholy powers... I guess this spawn activity is a first sign of that; and the discovery of ancient artifacts. On that one, I'm not sure... I only joined this quest recently, but my companions may know more..."


    Spoiler: about artifacts
    Show
    Did the others tell Marzena about the Talisman of the Sphere? This qualifies for sure. Now, if they have told her, she will feel that it's not her place to disclose that information, and look to Lydia to do so.


    When the discussion turns to Filge's monstrous state, she fells silent. Her demeanor shows that her feelings lean towards Jan's reaction, but her the colder part of her mind accepts Lydia's perspective as the reasonable one. At the end, she speaks up.

    "I agree, we should stay here and rest the night. But, in the morning, before we depart... I can attempt to divine some answers about this crazy condition of Mr. Hoffman's... If he, and you all, allow me to do so."

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Filge listens to the three women speak, his expression bleak and haunted. After it becomes clear what they hope to do he says, "Greyhawk is about a days walk from here. If you help me take Helen into Fork and we can find someone to care for her...then I can stay here, hidden, and wait for you to return. My illusion won't last long enough to get everything done without exposing my...condition to everyone there. Besides, there are powerful magic-users in Greyhawk who would see right through it and expose me for a monster if we ran into them. Then we'd be in a worse mess...

    If you will help me I will swear to remain here and keep Fork safe until you return with news. Will that do?
    " he asks. "Oh, I suppose you will want the two men's votes as well - someone better get them..."

    Spoiler: Regarding the Talisman of the Sphere
    Show
    I am sure this would have come up in discussion. It also makes sense not to share that detail with Filge.

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Filge doesn't follow the halfling out at first, but when Olofire calls for him to look at the birthmark he comes outside, his hooded cowl tied close around him. In spite of the necromancer's efforts to hide his condition, it isn't but a moment before Olofire notices that Filge is a worm-that-walks and not a human anymore...
    As Olofire, hears the necromancer's approaching footsteps, he speaks to him without looking back, "They all seem to have been attacked an transformed the same way. Slammed hard with the fist of a spawn, and worm taking root in the new host. I need to verify if this is a birthmark or something el-aaahhh!" For the first time he notices Filge's true form and swipes at him with a scalpel!

    Spoiler: Attack
    Show

    Attack (1d20+10)[17] CC 19-20/x2 (1d20+10)[12] Damage (1d3+5)[7]

    I don't imagine it'll hit hard if it does hit at all.


    "What happened to you!?" He crouches 5ft away listening as Filge sighs and retells what happened to him. "Mr. Hoffman, you know firsthand these are dangerous creatures, these worms. You may not believe this, but your fate could be worse. You've kept your mind and your identity. You may have changed but you aren't dead." He stands up and puts away his scalpel, crosses his arms, one hand resting on the clef of his chin, and paces a bit.

    "I imagine, as a man of science, you have run some tests on this new form of yours? For example, those worms. Are they covering your body? Or are you now a conglomerate of them but with your psyche imprinted on them? If not covering your body, but in fact is your body now, can you control the form you take, or are you stuck as your previous self? How do you sustain yourself, or nourish yourself? And after that, what of the waste?? What properties do you share with that of the spawn? I can already see that slice, sorry about that by the way, has healed over just since we've been talking." Realizing he's rambling he pauses and sits again next to Filge.

    "Forgive me. I was never the best at bedside manners during my studies to become a doctor and of alchemy. But you have seen my own transformations as well. Mine, although temporary, I find it affects my mind more than I'd like to admit. Certainly more than I'd admit to the others. However, with you, you've not only found this new stronger form, you seem to have retained all your faculties at the same time. Perhaps there is some things I - we - can learn from your condition. If alchemy had a part to play in your becoming this way, perhaps there is an alchemical solution as well. It may be difficult to get you to the University of Greyhawk, but their labs a facilities allows for far more extensive studies than what I can do with my small kit I carry with myself. And.." He pauses once more. With a deep sigh, he pulls a flask he's never grabbed before out. This one a bright pinkish hue, he closes his eyes and chugs it down in a few big gulps. When he opens them again, his eyes seem slightly glazed over and his body sways trying to maintain balance.

    "Sorry, this is just all getting really heavy.. But you know, maybe you and I working together and studying you we can also cure me. You see, when we were fighting your family earlier, when we didn't know it was your family, and they were really scary, but one of them hit me. And I didn't really think anything of it at the time because I killed him. Sorry again. But I didn't think anything of it except when I was coming back to the house after running away and pissing myself, I tried to heal myself with some of these elixirs I made. Except they didn't seem to work as good as they used to work, and I think that hit may have actually affected me more than I first thought and I don't want to die or turn into what you are..." He grimaces at the word vomit he just spewed.. "Sorry.. Again.. I'm saying sorry a lot aren't I? I just seem to be doing a lot of killing for a doctor. Someone who is supposed to heal people, you know? But I don't mind the killing honestly. I mean they are evil creatures right? Except not all the lizardfolk were bad, Ssayth isn't bad. I'm doing a good thing though! I'm helping save the WORLD! I'm a F$*&ing HERO!" The small doctor screams the last parts up to the heavens, trips over himself and falls on his back. Tears start to well up in his eyes as he looks to the sky. "Sorry..

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    So he's drunk. The pink elixir is Polypurpose Pancea and he took the intoxication effect.
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show




  7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Lydia turns and arches an eyebrow towards Marzena at her mention of "ancient artifacts", silently willing the other woman to take her meaning. We'll speak of this later...

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "If you will help me I will swear to remain here and keep Fork safe until you return with news. Will that do?[/B]" he asks. "Oh, I suppose you will want the two men's votes as well - someone better get them..."
    "It will have to do," Lydia sighs, beginning to stand. "I'll go get Frederick. And the doctor - come to think of it, I haven't seen him recently. Doctor? Are you there?" She exits to the front yard, calling quietly so as not to wake Helen, and quickly explains the discussion and current plan to Frederick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    The small doctor screams the last parts up to the heavens, trips over himself and falls on his back. Tears start to well up in his eyes as he looks to the sky. "Sorry..

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    So he's drunk. The pink elixir is Polypurpose Pancea and he took the intoxication effect.

    She doesn't recognize Olofire's drunken stupor for what it is at first glance, and seeing him sprawled in the yard she rushes to his side and pulls him up urgently. "Doctor! What's the matter with you?! Is it the worms again? Did Filge do something to you? It's me, Lydia! Say something, dammit!"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    She doesn't recognize Olofire's drunken stupor for what it is at first glance, and seeing him sprawled in the yard she rushes to his side and pulls him up urgently. "Doctor! What's the matter with you?! Is it the worms again? Did Filge do something to you? It's me, Lydia! Say something, dammit!"
    "Ugh! Get off of me woman! He didn't do anything.. I'm fine. I'm a little intoxicated... A lot of intoxicated.. But I'm fine. Well... not fine actually. I think I may have caught something from that spawn earlier when it hit me. Not like what happened to Arkiana. But still not good.. I tried healing myself after running away, but it didn't seem to take like it usually does." He sits up and looks past Lydia to Filge and nods to him. "Filge and I were discussing his condition. He's fine too. Well not fine, because the worms. But he didn't do anything.
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show




  9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    If anyone looks out the window at Olofire's outburst, they will see Frederick glaring intently at the pair of talking "men." After a few moments pause, he seems to deliberately put it behind him, and resumes chopping wood with a heavy, slightly rusted axe by the barn nearby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    ..."I think I may have caught something from that spawn earlier when it hit me. Not like what happened to Arkiana. But still not good.. I tried healing myself after running away, but it didn't seem to take like it usually does.
    "What!? For gods' sake, man, tell me these things!" Frederick barks, his expression unusually distressed. The burly Half-Orc literally tosses the axe aside, ignoring the heavy thunk as it slams against the walls of the barn. He rushes urgently to the reclining Halfling, falling loudly to he knees in his plate mail. He places his hands on Olofire's shoulders with... surprising gentleness.
    Spoiler: Lay on Hands
    Show
    (2d6)[7] HP and (1d20+7)[16] caster check vs disease DC. 1/6 remaining for the day.

    "Damn it, Doctor," he groans, visibly resisting the urge to pick up and cradle the smaller man. From beneath a thick, furry brow he stares into the alchemist's face fondly. With an ugly but authentic smile, he pokes Olofire's shoulder. Hard. "You don't get to die on me."

    As it seems the situation has resolved- at least for now, Frederick's breaths become slower, more regular. He rises to his feet slowly, willing to return to the house and listen to Lydia and Filge. At their conclusion, he sighs. "You know as well as anyone how little protection Fork will be," he comments brusquely- clearly still not fully at peace with the necromancer's objections. "We can protect her better, and you know it. I won't fight you on this; she's your sister. But if you insist she stay here, well..." He shakes his head. "I don't think I could make that decision for my family."

  10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    For the first time he notices Filge's true form and swipes at him with a scalpel!
    Filge stares at the halfling, the worms making up his face writhing in agitation, but the rest of him appearing to stand as still as he can. The scalpel doesn't do any noticeable damage and he waits patiently for the little doctor to calm down. When, instead, Olofire begins to ramble and spout of questions rapid-fire, he leans back and leans his head to the side, as if observing something odd for the first time. "An alchemical experiment went wrong. I was trying to study what I thought was a Kyuss worm," he says before Olofire starts talking again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    "Forgive me. I was never the best at bedside manners during my studies to become a doctor and of alchemy."
    "You don't say..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    The small doctor screams the last parts up to the heavens, trips over himself and falls on his back. Tears start to well up in his eyes as he looks to the sky. "Sorry..
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Doctor! What's the matter with you?! Is it the worms again? Did Filge do something to you? It's me, Lydia! Say something, dammit!"
    "He's caught a disease - 'Kyuss' Gift' - and is acting inebriated," answers Filge, his expression unreadable with the worms, but his tone indicating that he is not impressed with how Olofire is handling things. Filge remains impassive at Frederick's continued argument against leaving Helen in Fork, not responding verbally but making a shrugging motion with what would have been his shoulders had they not been worms. "All I ask is that we try to handle it so it won't upset her any more than it must.

    Now, I don't really sleep anymore...it would likely be a bit unsettling to watch. When I allow my mind to wander and zone out then the worms...dream? It is hard to describe, very fragmented and disjointed. I will stay outside, in the barn, so that there is little chance that anyone will be hurt accidentally by the worms. I will return to the house at dawn to wake Helen and take her into town with you all. After that I will return here and bury the remains of my kin while you do whatever it is you plan to do in Greyhawk. How long shall I protect Fork and wait here while you are gone? When will you return?
    "

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "How long shall I protect Fork and wait here while you are gone? When will you return?"
    Lydia frowns, considering Filge's question. "It is hard to know how the paragons will take this news, initially. I'm sure they will listen to reason, but they may require some convincing..." She begins to count off on her fingers. "A day or so to reach Greyhawk, the same back, and time to visit the Sanctum... I should think three or four days will be sufficient. No longer than a week. Although," she casts a meaningful glance towards Frederick, "I cannot guarantee it is we who will return - our duties may take us elsewhere in the fight against Kyuss. But I will at least send a few of the Blessed as messengers. I will inform them of your... condition and advise them not to attack without provocation. " She spreads her hands. "I'm afraid that's the best I can guarantee."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Lydia turns and arches an eyebrow towards Marzena at her mention of "ancient artifacts", silently willing the other woman to take her meaning. We'll speak of this later...
    The barest blink indicates that Marzena took the hint.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    All I ask is that we try to handle it so it won't upset her any more than it must.

    Now, I don't really sleep anymore...it would likely be a bit unsettling to watch. When I allow my mind to wander and zone out then the worms...dream? It is hard to describe, very fragmented and disjointed. I will stay outside, in the barn, so that there is little chance that anyone will be hurt accidentally by the worms. I will return to the house at dawn to wake Helen and take her into town with you all. After that I will return here and bury the remains of my kin while you do whatever it is you plan to do in Greyhawk. How long shall I protect Fork and wait here while you are gone? When will you return?
    [/B]"
    Marzena nods, sadness apparent on her sharp face. "Lydia is right. We can't be sure we'll be back, although I would prefer to. It's like you said, there is a risk that the spawns or spawns that infected your family have a sort of... plan? Not really a plan, but a drive to spread their curse around. Hopefully, you'll be able to prevent that. I trust you to try, at least.

    And... You'll have to forgive the good doctor. This hard been hard on all our minds."

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Frederick only grunts, acknowledging Lydia's concerns as valid and offering nothing more.

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Jan lingers inside until Olofire's sudden outburst jars her into motion. Darting out through the door, she arrives in time to see Frederick's ministrations take their effect, and the clearly healthy (but inebriated) halfling relax at the hulking half-orc's gentle touch. From the doorway, the gnome suddenly smiles, the expression strangely prideful and intense, as the paladin cares for the child-like figure not too dissimilar from her own.

    All too soon, the moment of joy passes, the cares and concerns of the moment weighing once more upon the gnome's weary mind. "I suppose that with you in our company, the townsfolk will at least believe us when we... strongly discourage anybody from investigating the family farm. I would hate for further... unpleasantness to happen. Y'know, a simple tradesman stumble onto you in your current condition, burying bodies and such." The gnome grimaces at the thought. "But I s'pose there'll be time to think through that in the morning."

    With a theatrical yawn and stretch (revealing her unusually... stretchy arms), the gnome turns to Filge. "So where's a girl supposed to get a little shut-eye around here?"
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Olofire lays down after receiving the blessing from his paladin friend, a weight lifted off his small shoulders. He makes no more effort to speak and looks up to the sky as it begins to fade to dusk.
    The only motion he makes as each talks to a slight glance over towards Filge. A curious look in his eyes, but it will have to wait till morning.
    As everyone gets up and heads inside he sits up and follows suit for the evening.
    Spoiler: My Characters
    Show




  16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    The party heads into the farmhouse, looking about the place in the dim light with sad expressions as they imagine what it might have looked like only a little bit earlier. It's a homey building, full of wood carvings, knitted blankets, home-made pillows, and all sorts of other knick-knacks. It's clear that the people who once lived here lived simple, largely wholesome lives and wanted this place to be a welcoming and comfortable house for their family. Inspecting the rooms they find that most remain clean and untarnished by the undead monsters that replaced the Hoffman family, and everyone is able to find a comfortable place to sleep when they take their turn.

    Unfortunately, all the quaint niceness of the Hoffman farm does little to assuage the party's dark thoughts, because several minutes after leaving Filge strange screams can be heard from the barn where he is staying. The noises defy description, except to suggest that Filge is plagued by thousands of nightmares at once, and that his cries of terror, anguish, and rage are attempting to express themselves simultaneously. Should anyone dare to sneak out to try and get an idea of what is happening they find the barn door firmly shut and barred from the other side. The unsettling noises seem to be coming from all over the inside of the building, and one cannot help but imagine a swarm of worms, each screaming individually in a cacophonic chorus of misery.

    The sounds do not ever really stop, though between the thick wooden walls of the barn, the stone farmhouse, and blankets over their heads, the noise is muted enough that the adventurers find a way to sleep...somehow...


    Morning breaks and the party finds Filge already digging graves in the field outside the farmhouse garden. He explains that he's never really hungry anymore - the worms seem to feed naturally as he walks about and he has no physiology to support - and encourages the party to eat anything they wish in the house. When Helen wakes she immediately begins screaming in terror, her own memories from the previous night fresh and raw. Filge is there instantly, his illusion on and his quiet words doing their best to comfort his sobbing sister. "Let's go," he says to the party after a minute and helps his sister rise and begin walking towards Fork.

    In town things go rather quickly. Filge is known, not for being a necromancer, but for growing up nearby, and his explanation of what happened seems to be received with sadness but understanding. "Monsters attacked the farm - got to everyone except Helen. I'm going to go back and bury the dead, but it's dangerous there now. Some dark magic is in the ground and people need to stay away - including Helen," he explains to a matronly old lady and her husband. As the couple takes Helen into their home Filge walks back to the party and explains, "The Harpers...he was once town caller and she's been the head of the women's circle for decades. They will help find a family to take Helen in and spread to word to watch out for undead and to stay away from the farm..."

    The necromancer looks back at his sister, who stares with a haunted look into space. Helen doesn't even turn back towards her brother as she is led gently into the building, though the Harpers wave goodbye with sad expressions. "I'd like to go finish burying my family now. I will look for someone within a week and plan to stay about two. Then I will begin roaming further afield to try and keep Helen safe. If you don't find me at the farm I will try to leave word with how to find me with the Harpers..." he says, his voice cracking with emotion.

    Do you have anything else to say or do with Filge before you head towards Greyhawk? If you wish to speak with the Harpers, or anyone else in Fork, that is fine too.

  17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Frederick is stoically quiet and grim throughout most of the night and the next morning. He leads the way to Fork briskly, after having broken his fast on a substantial amount of eggs and dried meat- it would just go to waste, otherwise.

    He says nothing to Filge, having already said everything he cared to. He does, however, glance at the necromancer in a way that might be called sympathetic when he thinks it might go unnoticed.

    Some time later, possibly even after the party has "left for Greyhawk," Frederick makes it a point to speak with the Harpers relatively privately. "I will be plain, and hope to not offend. I do not agree with Mister Hoffman's choice to leave his sister here, and you should know that this place is not safe from what happened on their farm. If you ever fear for your safety or hers, make for Greyhawk with all haste, and go to the cathedral of Heironeous. Whatever else may be said about my order, we protect those who need it." The last sentence comes out with more force than might be due, as if he's trying to convince himself as much as anyone else.

  18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    As Frederick finishes his plea the two old people smile and the man winks at the woman. He turns to go inside without saying anything more, but she turns to Frederick and says, "It's been a long, long time since we were young and thought like you do, but we do appreciate it, young man. Let me ask you something - in a world full of dragons, cults, and necromancers, how do normal people make it? Hmmm?" She doesn't really wait for his answer, instead gesturing at the buildings of Fork around them. "The man who owns that inn fought in several wars - he never talks about it, but I know he has a set of armor he keeps in good repair in one of the back rooms, along with some well-made and well-used weapons. The woman over there is a hedge-witch who can put together some basic potions to heal injuries. My husband and I met as part of a mercenary company...We retired after fighting and killing a young dragon that was terrorizing folks off to the east quite a ways..."

    She turns to look at Frederick with kind eyes that still hold confidence and fire. "Not everyone, not even close, have stories like we do. Those who don't work together. Fork isn't in the path of most of the armies that have laid siege to Greyhawk over the centuries, but we've had a few march through. After a couple of fires, folks start looking into building their homes out of material that won't burn very well. Everyone in town has a solid threshold in their house, built up over years and years of dedicated prayer, good living, and working together to afford paying a mage out of the Free City to come and help them protect their homes. Those folks too young or poor know where they can go for protection, and we open our doors to them."

    Old Woman Harper sighs and looks in the direction of the Hoffman farm. "Filge was never really happy here, and though I suspect much I don't know what sort of magic he does. He smells wrong and if you know what you're looking for you can tell that he's pretty haunted by things he has seen or done. We probably can't help him, at least not unless he wants to help himself, but we can keep his sister safe enough...at least we can now that she's in town," she says as she looks up at the tall half-orc and smiles once more. Then her smile turns sad and she mutters, "It's too bad whatever got the Hoffmans came so fast...The womens' circle will discuss this and try to see what we can do to help the outlying farms better. Yes, we'll send runners out today..." She seems to drift off for a moment, considering what needs to be done to keep more of their little community safe. Then she seems to remember Helen and looks back towards her own home. "Odds are she would be safer in the Cathedral of the Shining One, but living isn't always about being safe. Please don't worry about Helen, young man. Do what you can for Filge - he needs it more..."

  19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Frederick's eyes slowly drift in the directions indicated, not ever quite focusing on the locations. He listens patiently and calmly, only nodding silently as acknowledgement.

    Finally, Mrs. Harper begins to systematically address the next steps, and he nods a few more times. "I'm glad you're as capable as you are, though I caution you against underestimating this threat. That hedge witch may be the only one able to keep you all alive."

    Unbidden, his heavy gaze turns back towards the Hoffman farm. He frowns bitterly. "He very much does. I will do as much as he lets me." He turns back to the woman, his face hard. "And whatever he makes me. Your instincts are well honed, Ma'am. I pray that Filge turns away from this path, lest it ruin him entirely."

    "I hope, for Helen's sake." Frustrated, conflicted, angry, and helpless, Frederick turns away from the home, trying to blink away a pair of slow-growing tears.

  20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Old Woman Harper's attention catches when Frederick suggests they may need the hedge-witch's help specifically. "Young man, much of how we stay safe around here is knowing what threatens. What can you tell us to help us stay safe? I will share the information carefully to keep folks calm but try and get everyone ready," she says, her tone suddenly very serious and business-like. "I want to comfort you a bit, after you showed us concern, but I want to keep Fork safe even more..."

  21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    "I have been sheltered from much of the knowledge, but I know this: they are undead that spread by worms. The worms attack your mind like a disease, making a new spawn of itself within moments. Magic to counter disease can prevent the spread, but only if it's applied quickly and effectively." He frowns once more, considering Filge's family.

    "The entire Hoffman family likely fell in a matter of a minute. Maybe two or three. Helen was only spared because of a secret room and our quick intervention."

  22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    "Nearly as bad as a wight, then...we will collect funds and get a wand and several potions, then..." replies the old woman. "Thank you, young man. We will do our best to keep Helen and the rest of Fork safe. We will be praying for your quest to be successful."

  23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Having overheard the conversation between the old woman and Frederick, Marzena chimes in. "My respects for you and the folks here for being prepared to fight, Ma'am. If I may add something to Sir Frederick's advice: Your best bet is to kill the worms before they can enter the victims' body. You just have mere seconds, 'cos once they burrow under the skin, only magic will save you. But in the open, they're quite fragile. Any good hit, or just the touch of silver, will kill them. I have also applied emergency fire, to good effect, although of course the recipient needed healing after that - better than be turned into a ravening undead, though!"

  24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    The old woman smiles at Marzena and replies, "That is surely good to know, and easier for most of us. Everyone in town will know by the end of the day tomorrow. Thank you both."

  25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Sensing the conversation winding down, Lydia calls to Frederick and Marzena from a bit further down the road, with the others. "All set, then? Let's be off - Grayhawk isn't getting any closer and every minute we waste is more time for those things to spread. Best to be going." She nods to herself adjusts the pack on her shoulders, preparing to depart for the Free City.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Sensing the conversation winding down, Lydia calls to Frederick and Marzena from a bit further down the road, with the others. "All set, then? Let's be off - Grayhawk isn't getting any closer and every minute we waste is more time for those things to spread. Best to be going." She nods to herself adjusts the pack on her shoulders, preparing to depart for the Free City.
    Jan breaks her uncharacteristic silence, piping in with her agreement. "Yes, that's quite enough of this dreary business. First to the Free City, and next to... well, wherever this corruption has planted its root! "
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

    The story continues in chapter 4, the Hall of Harsh Reflections! Please head over, subscribe, and start posting there!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •