New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    six dark vials
    Worm-Infected Potions of Bull's Strength (x2), Cure Serious Wounds (x2), Haste, and Invisibility

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick stands uncomfortably as Colonel Trask speaks. A few comments from the commander prompts a response. "I would be surprised if this Ilthane figure didn't try to do exactly that, actually. I've not read overly much about dragons, but we stole a grand prize from her in freeing the Twisted Branch from her clutches. I'd expect any creature with the pride of a dragon to take it personally. I don't pretend to know much about cunning and subterfuge, but I would expect no less from one of her ilk."

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan exits the basement with a huff of exhalation before breathing deeply of the distinctly less-stale air, almost as a swimmer reaching the water's surface. She is unusually quiet, watching (and not interrupting) the soldiers as they work to restore some semblance of order in the absence of imminent threat.

As the morning dawns, Jan chances a walk about the battlements, peering suspiciously into the mist that cloaks the low areas in the surrounding terrain, but by late morning the visibility has improved, alleviating any concerns of hidden dangers. As the day drags on, the gnome's restless nature begins to get the better of her; it is with distinct interest (and relief) that she notes something, anything, beginning to happen at the horn's warning of the arriving reinforcements. Joining her companions in their distinctly less formal "rank" nearby the soldiers proper, she stands to her full 3 feet, 3 inches, chin high to greet them.

Padding after the others (particularly Marzena) to meet with Colonel Trask, she arrives just in time to hear the battle-mage begin her report. The gnome is by the businesslike but comprehensive description of their activities to listen quietly, merely nodding her emphasis on the more notable moments.

"I am grateful to all of you for helping rescue our soldiers. Thank you."
    Jan smiles up at the Colonel, clearly enjoying the recognition of the party's efforts.

"...In the meanwhile, I will meet with the Twisted Branch and begin the negotiations...I assume, since you are all here and bringing this up that you think they are trustworthy enough to seriously consider this? And you don't think this dragon 'Ilthane,' will try and sabotage the peace efforts or attack the Keep?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "I would be surprised if this Ilthane figure didn't try to do exactly that, actually. I've not read overly much about dragons, but we stole a grand prize from her in freeing the Twisted Branch from her clutches. I'd expect any creature with the pride of a dragon to take it personally. I don't pretend to know much about cunning and subterfuge, but I would expect no less from one of her ilk."
    "...but the lizard folk seem to be on the level. I mean," Jan interjects, furling her brows in thought, "from what we could tell, and the shaman seemed to be on the up-and-up. It seemed happy to root out the dragon's influence, and we managed to limit the losses to their tribe. Most likely, if they hadn't been put up to it by the dragon and the chieftain- now dead, the chieftain that is- they probably wouldn't have attacked in the first place. Uh, 'sir'?" the gnome ends uncertainly, suddenly remembering the military circumstances after her recounting.

Then Colonel Trask turns to his desk, dismissing you all without further ceremony.
    As they file out of the commanders' quarters, Jan turns up to Frederick. "Sounds like we're headed back to good ol' Diamond Lake, eh? Long's the trail doesn't run cold before we get there. Say," she turns to Marzena, "what are you gonna do? Does this mean you're... retired from the army? Or whatever it's called?" she chuckles softly to herself.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-09-17 at 08:58 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

4. - Top - End - #454

The grizzled old soldier paces the room for a moment, thinking furiously. "Lieutenant Marzena, your tenure here ends soon, correct?" At Marzena's confirmation he continues. "I am accelerating your Honorable Severance from the Army of Greyhawk. Effective immediately you are relieved of Duty and recognized for your valiant role in recovering from that disastrous attack. I am no longer your superior and you are no longer required to remain at this post. I recommend strongly that you and these adventurers travel back to Diamond Lake and meet with Allustan, however. If I know anyone who can help answer the questions you have about this 'Age of Worms' it is him. If he can't, hopefully he knows someone who can..."
    "That is correct, Sir. As you're aware, my second year is nearly over, and I declined the offer to reenlist for a third. Thank you, Sir. It is indeed my intention to go back and ask Allustan for support. It is my belief that by joining with Sir Frederick's group, I shall be of greater assistance to Greyhawk than as a member of this garrison." She salutes, and takes her leave when the group is dismissed.

Besides... Trask is no fool, he surely realized that I wouldn't be able to work with these men anymore, after this...

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    As they file out of the commanders' quarters, Jan turns up to Frederick. "Sounds like we're headed back to good ol' Diamond Lake, eh? Long's the trail doesn't run cold before we get there. Say," she turns to Marzena, "what are you gonna do? Does this mean you're... retired from the army? Or whatever it's called?" she chuckles softly to herself.
    "Technically, I'm discharged. I'm fuzzy on the bureaucrats' language, there's far too much in this place, a real headache. Anyway, I'm outta here, yes. And if you'll have me, I wish to join you. You guys are a tough bunch, and you know what you're doing. The cards have been telling me for a while, of a great danger, to a great many people. I can't face it by hunkering down in some hole, can I? And in the field as a soldier following orders, no, thank you so very much. So I reckon that fighting it together with you is my best bet. Besides, I owe a life, mine, to be precise, to all of your, right? And I'm pretty sure I can help you some... with underwater tunnels, and suchlike." She makes her infectious grin at the gnome: She feels happier and freer than she has in months.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick nods at Jan's affirmation, and leaves when dismissed without fanfare.

He sighs at Jan's almost insufferable optimism. He manages to muster a polite response of, "That seems right," for the sake of her feelings. Unable to miss the conversation that transpires moments later, Frederick turns to Marzena with a stoic expression to contrast the unlikely duo's excitement. "I'm sure we would be pleased to have you. I've seen you fight, and though the how of it leaves me a hair unnerved, the why and the quality are without question." After a confusing moment, he offers a firm handshake, distinctly unsure how to interact with the recently un-enlisted.

6. - Top - End - #456

NecromancerGuy

The party spends about an hour preparing to leave, during which time they see Corporal Howard first enter and then leave the Colonel's quarters with a look of shock on his face and steel in his spine. If asked he reports that he has been commended for leading the Keep's men in the absence of higher ranked officers and is being retained at the fort, for now, with the expectation that if he continues to walk in honor that he may make Sergeant within a year or two! It seems that when Howard explained what happened two years ago the Colonel recognized that the men most responsible for the travesty are already dead. The young man was prepared to take the fall for the disaster, but his Commander would have none of it and told him to get back to work instead.

Once they find the Quartermaster and receive horses Corporal Howard approaches them with a sealed letter to deliver to the Garrison in Diamond Lake. He then wishes the party safe travels, thanks them again, and excuses himself, the spring in his step a welcome change from his dejected look over the last several days. As they get ready to leave, Amearin explains that he won't be going back to Diamond Lake - his adventures are over, and he won't be joining them. "If you are ever in town and not trying to save the world, look me up. Be safe and please don't think less of me for this, but I can't keep this up anymore. Thank the good gods you all are made of sterner stuff, though. I will travel back home with the next supply shipment in a well armed caravan...Alright, then...goodbye!" he says as he sees you off from the Keep's courtyard. The awkward and bookish elf waves uncomfortably for several moments before looking away and finding something to pass his time while you ride away.

You see Ssayth on the way out, where he is apparently providing some training to a few newly arrived soldiers. "Thesssse men wissssh to learn more of the sssswamp and how to hunt and track. It sssseemssss I will have a home here, for now. Thank you for ssssaving my clutchmatessss - your kindnesssss hassss changed my life," he says, his demeanor serious but nearly happy, at least by human standards. "If I do not ssssee you again, be well!" he calls out as you turn the corner and make it to the road.

As you leave the Mistmarsh the humidity decreases and it is almost like a weight comes off your shoulders. You breath easier and the air smells cleaner, somehow. You make it to the abandoned farmhouse before sundown and find it much as you left it. With the weather clear you all debate bringing the horses into the house, but as the evening darkens there are less signs of the worms that plagued you on your first visit here. During the first watch you hear something roaring in the distance, back towards the swamp. It isn't thunder - it's more of a deep, reptilian sound - though to hear it from this distance the thing must be enormous. The image of a vengeful black dragon springs to your mind and you wonder how the men at the Keep are faring. As the noise carries on you can tell that it seems to be moving, as if flying about in search of something (and not settling down to lay siege to Blackwall Keep. Whatever it is never flies overhead, though, and after taking some precautions you each get to sleep in turn.

The morning dawns with no sign of dragons or worms and by noon you see the dirty town of Diamond Lake across the polluted water of its namesake. You arrive at Allustan's shortly after lunch time to find the sage isn't at home. When you deliver the letter to the garrison he finds you, exiting one of the buildings and calling for you.

"Thank goodness! You have all returned! Wait - Marzena! I didn't expect you to come in person! Come, come, let's get to my house and we can settle down and talk...Oh, those aren't your horses? Right, right, I brought back one of yours didn't I? Sir Frederick, I think you will find him in the stables over there. Drop off those loaned to you by the garrison, get settled into your residence, and everyone come see me this evening. I will have dinner and we can discuss everything then. How does that sound?"

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You see Ssayth on the way out, where he is apparently providing some training to a few newly arrived soldiers. "Thesssse men wissssh to learn more of the sssswamp and how to hunt and track. It sssseemssss I will have a home here, for now. Thank you for ssssaving my clutchmatessss - your kindnesssss hassss changed my life," he says, his demeanor serious but nearly happy, at least by human standards. "If I do not ssssee you again, be well!" he calls out as you turn the corner and make it to the road.
    Jan grins broadly up at Ssayth before suddenly darting in to hug the lizardman's scaled knee. "Please, take care of yourself! And just think, these men," she gestures at his trainees, "are trusting themselves to your teaching. Treat them like family, and they will surely do the same to you!"

Backing awkwardly away from her reptilian friend, the gnome smiles apologetically for her outburst.

"Thank goodness! You have all returned! Wait - Marzena! I didn't expect you to come in person! Come, come, let's get to my house and we can settle down and talk...Oh, those aren't your horses? Right, right, I brought back one of yours didn't I? Sir Frederick, I think you will find him in the stables over there. Drop off those loaned to you by the garrison, get settled into your residence, and everyone come see me this evening. I will have dinner and we can discuss everything then. How does that sound?"
    Jan's entire face lights up at the mention of dinner. "Gosh, we've had nothing but trail rations and soldiers' food for what feels like an eternity! I'll be there for dinner but I can't promise you'll have my full attention if the food's good!" She flashes a toothy grin up at the mage before adopting a theatrical expression and pose of hunger and weakness, rubbing her stomach with one tiny hand for effect.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Despite her best efforts Lydia finds herself cracking the briefest of smiles at the precocious gnome's responses. "Thank you, Master Allustan - we will accept your gracious offer. There is much to discuss since we've last seen you. What of the town? No more sightings of green worms or the walking dead, I pray?"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

9. - Top - End - #459

NecromancerGuy

Ssayth stands awkwardly, his stance and expression making it clear that the hug Jan is giving him is totally foreign to the reptile. As she hangs on tightly he looks down at her face and sees that she is smiling and then looks at the soldiers nearby. When they shrug and gesture that he should hug her back he gently wraps his scaly arms around the halfling and weakly squeezes her back. As she lets go he does too, with a toothy expression that is either his attempt at a smile (horrifying to see) or a carnivorous hunter's threatening, defensive expression. When she mounts her pony and begins to ride off it is clear that it was meant to be a smile as he waves awkwardly at the departing adventurers.

"I'm not a bad cook, but it won't be at the level of a master chef," Allustan says to Jan before turning to Lydia's more serious questions. "Worms, yes, but no more than we had already noticed. Undead, no, thankfully. Did you encounter some? I also heard the roar of a black dragon last night - you all weren't involved with that, were you?"

10. - Top - End - #460

"Allustan! It's so great to see you, old pal! We've got a bunch of things to tell you, that's for sure. Not the most pleasant ones, mind you. Looks like you too are embroiled in this story with worms and with Kyuss? We saw what the worms can do... They're real bad news. Methinks we have a lot on our hands with this!" Marzena's joy at seeing Allustan is apparent: Clearly, the two of them go back a long way.

11. - Top - End - #461

NecromancerGuy

Allustan suddenly looks like he is several decades younger and full of vigor, but also weighed down by powerful emotions. "Marzena - I was so worried when I saw that the Keep was under attack. It is so good to see you again, but I am also so sorry I didn't stay to help...but you know how it is, I never did have the stomach for real danger..." he says as he embraces his younger friend. "Tenser always knew you would be the sort to go out into the world and fight the good fight. I just couldn't do it. I hope you can forgive me for not coming to your aid personally, but at least these fine heroes were up to the challenge. How bad was it when they reached you at the keep?"

Spoiler: OoC reminder for Gwyfrid - the other players can get the hints of this as well
    Show
    Allustan does not know that Marzena was captured by the Twisted Branch.

He is also essentially a coward. Allustan and Amearin were more similar to each other in personalities than they were to Marzena or most any other willing adventurer. When Allustan left his apprenticeship to Tenser he was not on the best of terms with the well-known archmage due to Allustan's cowardice and Tenser's lack thereof.

That said, Allustan really likes Marzena and believes she has the fire he lacks. Despite being significantly older than her, he lacks the fortitude to adventure that she has and is inspired by her. The odd juxtaposition of ages could make people uncomfortable, but isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Afterall, powerful archmages often live for centuries, so a difference of ages of only a decade or so isn't too concerning on that time scale.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick allows himself a smile at Ssayth's unexpected, but well deserved and valuable role as field instructor. He offers the lizard man a simple nod of respect before breaking into a toothy grin at Jan's antics. "Come, little one. Diamond Lake isn't getting closer, and I'm afraid you may have just scarred him for life!" He chuckles quietly, before spending much of the next hour wondering what that turn of phrase might have meant to their reptilian acquaintance.

In the farmhouse, Frederick rests uneasily at best. Some part of him wonders and worries over Ilthane's certain ploys at retribution, and he finds himself jumping at the slightest noise- of which the night has plenty.

Frederick nods in time with his companions, silently agreeing to the offer of dinner. He volunteers to take their loaned horses to the stables, and stays for some time tending to Leeroy with patience and gentleness belying his huge frame and tendency for violent outbursts. He makes no effort to greet or speak with anyone else he finds on duty or who finds him, but doesn't turn away from pleasantries and idle chatter while he lovingly brushes his steed's mane and flanks.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Worms, yes, but no more than we had already noticed. Undead, no, thankfully. Did you encounter some? I also heard the roar of a black dragon last night - you all weren't involved with that, were you?"
    "Yes, I'm afraid we did. And that dragon - it's connected to the worms, and Kyuss, and the lizardmen besieging the keep. There is much to tell. Let us walk and I can begin to give you the story while the meal is prepared." She begins describing the events of the last week, beginning with Allustan's departure from the Keep. Her descriptions are terse and efficient, and she frequently has to pause when a more loquacious party member interrupts to elaborate on a particular point.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lydia will give Allustan a run down of everything unless someone interrupts or stops her - she trusts him and won't intentionally withhold anything.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

yuk Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

The little doctor was happy to be back "home" and went straight to his lab downstairs to analyze the worms he had collected. Once there, he sets his pack down and sits on the chair next to his desk breathing a deep heavy sigh. The next thing he remembers is waking up in that chair, his pack unopened, his lab untouched. He looks around dazed and confused, but having finally slept he looked a little more chipper in the morning than in days past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon arriving to Allustan's, he greets the wizard with a big smile shaking his hand. It is so good to see you and be back in Diamond Lake! Allow me to make some tea. And he heads into the kitchen to help himself to prepping tea for everyone. He sits and listens to each tell their accounts of what happens. Wait.. There was a dragon last night?? I didn't hear it..

Dr. Olofire nods to the parts he remembers, his lips tight as he dwells on the events.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Allustan! It's so great to see you, old pal! We've got a bunch of things to tell you, that's for sure. Not the most pleasant ones, mind you. Looks like you too are embroiled in this story with worms and with Kyuss? We saw what the worms can do... They're real bad news. Methinks we have a lot on our hands with this!" Marzena's joy at seeing Allustan is apparent: Clearly, the two of them go back a long way.
    Allustan suddenly looks like he is several decades younger and full of vigor, but also weighed down by powerful emotions. "Marzena - I was so worried when I saw that the Keep was under attack. It is so good to see you again, but I am also so sorry I didn't stay to help...but you know how it is, I never did have the stomach for real danger..."
    Jan looks from one mage to another, an appraising look in her eyes. With a blink and a small shake of the head, she returns her attention to the conversation at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "...And that dragon - it's connected to the worms, and Kyuss, and the lizardmen besieging the keep. There is much to tell. Let us walk and I can begin to give you the story while the meal is prepared." She begins describing the events of the last week, beginning with Allustan's departure from the Keep. Her descriptions are terse and efficient, and she frequently has to pause when a more loquacious party member interrupts to elaborate on a particular point.
    True to her form, the excitable gnome peppers the description with vigorous nods in agreement, grimaces theatrically along with descriptions of half-eaten soldiers, worm-infested-undead-dragon-spawn, and frequently interjects with corroborative details and expansive elaborations on the excitements, dangers, and reliefs of the journey.

"...and that's when the Colonel said we should come talk to you! Oh, and we heard the dragon last night too- but you already knew about that." Trailing abruptly off into silence, the gnome finally leaves enough silence for the mage to respond.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-09-24 at 02:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466

NecromancerGuy

Frederick finds Leroy in good spirits, tended by a young man who is clearly working for the soldiers as a stable-hand. Thomars introduces himself, brings out Leroy and his gear, and takes the other horses from Frederick with little ceremony - he is clearly busy and doesn't stand around to talk to the half-orc knight. Frederick does notice the young man looking at him with a mixture of awe and confusion, based no doubt on the obvious quality of his gear, the symbol of Heironeous on his chest, and his half-orcish features. Thomars is respectful, though, and doesn't linger long.

Before Frederick leaves the fort he has the boy deliver the report from Colonel Trask to his deputy-commander at the garrison. Then, without wanting to get wrapped up in more military business he excuses himself and rejoins the rest of the party.

As everyone makes their way to Allustan's home and begin discussing the events of the past two weeks he stops them, saying, "I don't know that any of this should be discussed in the open. Lydia, you and Marzena weren't here for the investigation into the Ebon Triad, but some cultists of that heretical group nominally worshipped Vecna, and we don't need to allow dangerous news to make its way to anyone in town who might still hold allegiance to such dark powers. My home is well warded and safe - let's discuss the details there." He then makes small talk as they walk and ride through town.

Once settled inside with Olofire's tea and other fine quality drinks in hands, the party gets down to discuss their most recent adventures. Given the topic Allustan lights several additional lamps and opens some drapes to let in sunlight as he learns about the foul undead abominations plaguing the swamp and corrupting the Twisted Branch lizardfolk. At the word that Marzena was captured before the PCs ever arrived at the Keep, Allustan's face blanches and he looks nearly sick with shame. He doesn't interrupt, though, and allows them to tell him the whole story, only interrupting to get the occasional detail or ask a short question.

Finally, well after sunset when it becomes clear that Marzena knows little more than he does about the threat of the Age of Worms he sits back unhappily. "I am certainly glad you all are here safe - especially you, Marzena - but I had hoped for more answers and less questions as a result of this venture. No, no, of course it's not your fault for not knowing more, my old friend, but it would have helped..."

Sitting in quiet for several long moments the old sage looks to be aging before your very eyes. "I didn't want to do this, but I think you all need to go to Greyhawk and meet with Eligos."

Spoiler: Marzena and anyone who passes a DC 20 Knowledge (Arcana) check
    Show
    Eligos is another of the students of Tenser, the archmage. He lives in Greyhawk and is known for being a sage of some significance. He is respected throughout the Free City for his obscure knowledge and skill in the arcane. Unlike Allustan, Eligos still serves Tenser as an apprentice and agent in Greyhawk. Though there is mutual respect between Allustan and Eligos, the two do not get along, largely due to Allustan's departure from Tenser's service.

After an audible gulp and a brief glance at Marzena, Allustan continues. "He may not know the answers to the questions we face, but he will have access to the many libraries in Greyhawk and the sages that tend them. Between the clues you have found and Eligos' research we may just be able to get a handle on what we are really facing here. If you will do this, I will help you collect all of your notes and evidence. Then I will send you with directions to Eligos' home. What do you think?"

As a reminder of backgrounds - Frederick, Lydia, Olofire, and Marzena have all been to Greyhawk before. Jan has not. Several of you will have organizations that will wish to hear from you (the Church of Heironeous, Tenser's agents, and contacts at the University of Greyhawk where Olofire got his medical doctorate). In addition, where Diamond Lake is a backwater with little in the way of resources, Greyhawk is the premier city of this campaign setting. If it can be sold, you can get it there. The roleplaying opportunities are endless (and likely to get us off task a bit) and this is where the campaign material recommends you go.

17. - Top - End - #467

Allustan suddenly looks like he is several decades younger and full of vigor, but also weighed down by powerful emotions. "Marzena - I was so worried when I saw that the Keep was under attack. It is so good to see you again, but I am also so sorry I didn't stay to help...but you know how it is, I never did have the stomach for real danger..." he says as he embraces his younger friend. "Tenser always knew you would be the sort to go out into the world and fight the good fight. I just couldn't do it. I hope you can forgive me for not coming to your aid personally, but at least these fine heroes were up to the challenge. How bad was it when they reached you at the keep?"
    "No forgiveness needed, my dear friend. Some of us are cut to take the fight to the enemy, some of us are more meant to be in the rear lines. All of us are needed, when the time comes. Your knowledge will be as useful in this battle than any of my combat prowess, such as it is. And much, it isn't... To your question, I have to confess that things were as bad as they get, for your humble servant. Some battlemage! When these guys found me, I was the lizardfolk's prisoner, down for the count, and with a broken jaw to boot. Damn useless, and without them you wouldn't have me give you a hug today!" Marzena indeed grabs the older mage in an warm embrace. "Look at you, all worried and pale. We made it, don't worry! Or rather, my newfound besties here did. Saved my life for sure." She grows more serious. "Then, the worms, the undead, the horror..." she recounts the details, adding color (if in a grim hue) to the recount by Lydia and Jan.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-09-24 at 10:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick opts to remain silent. His companions have the description and details well in hand, and he is enjoying a simple pipe and tea in the company of people he trusts with his life. Suspecting little time for small pleasantries, he intends to make the most of this one.

Mention of Greyhawk brings a scowl and a frown to his face. Not upset, but confused, he listens on and finds himself unfortunately with little room to argue. He sighs deeply before nodding reluctantly. "I suppose it was bound to happen eventually," he grumbles, taking a long deep sip of his tea.

19. - Top - End - #469

Finally, well after sunset when it becomes clear that Marzena knows little more than he does about the threat of the Age of Worms he sits back unhappily. "I am certainly glad you all are here safe - especially you, Marzena - but I had hoped for more answers and less questions as a result of this venture. No, no, of course it's not your fault for not knowing more, my old friend, but it would have helped..."

Sitting in quiet for several long moments the old sage looks to be aging before your very eyes. "I didn't want to do this, but I think you all need to go to Greyhawk and meet with Eligos."

After an audible gulp and a brief glance at Marzena, Allustan continues. "He may not know the answers to the questions we face, but he will have access to the many libraries in Greyhawk and the sages that tend them. Between the clues you have found and Eligos' research we may just be able to get a handle on what we are really facing here. If you will do this, I will help you collect all of your notes and evidence. Then I will send you with directions to Eligos' home. What do you think?"
    Marzena looks at her old mentor and friend fondly. He's aged... Sure, he's not so young anymore, but worry has something to do with it... She puts her empty cup down, clears her thoat. "We will do so, sure. But still, I'm hopeful that we can gather a little bit of knowledge of our own, that we can share with you, and with Eligos. I remember him a little bit, super bookish guy, right? That was just before I left myself, I think."

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's I'm making up a bit of the personal history of Marzena and the NPCs. I can adjust, if this doesn't fit with established narrative.

"Anyway, I'm going to show you something I learned, since that day when you advised me to look for a different path to magic - a piece of wisdom I'm so grateful for! Mind if I clear this table?" Without further ado, she takes her deck of cards out, and lays them all face down on the table, in a seemingly random pattern. "This is something I cannot attempt often, but it has given me incredible insights in the past." She begins to cast, one quick spell, then immediately another.

"Aujourd'hui mon esprit est clair
    Pour distinguer en vérité
    Ce qu'il en est de cette affaire
    De vers et de morts relevés!"

Her second incantation is a much longer affair, lasting several minutes.

"Dans l'antique archive, il faut chercher
    Car elle contient le savoir des mondes
    De Kyuss l'histoire je veux trouver
    Puisse ma science être féconde!"

The cards in front of her begin to move around on their own in a strange dance, until finally they settle down. She closes her eyes, puts her hands on them, and turns one face up. She doesn't open her eyes, but instead strokes the ivory surface. Her mind swells with with a flow of words, ideas, ancient bits and pieces of knowledge...

Spoiler
    Show
    1) She casts Investigative Mind. This gives her to power to roll twice and take the best result for her next 7 Knowledge rolls.

2) She casts Akashic Communion at CL 9, thanks to the Harrow Chosen trait. This gives her 3 Knowledge checks with a +10 insight bonus, which she will use to find out anything she can about the Age or Worms, Kyuss, and the wormspawns.

The checks are to be rolled by the DM in secret. Let's try for the following (numbers include the +10 bonus)
    Knowledge (Arcana) at +26
    Knowledge (History) at +20
    Knowledge (Religion) at +16 (with Akashic Communion, she's treated as trained)

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia nods approvingly at Allustan's suggestion. "That is sensible. When facing a foe of unknown strength and disposition, a wise commander first gathers intelligence however he may. If you think this... Eligos may be able to help us understand the threat, and how to stop it, we will seek him out. Convenient that he's in Grayhawk - I can make my report to the Church in person and impressive on them the severity of the situation."

She watches politely as Marzena lays out her cards on the table, a bit disbelieving until they suddenly start whirling about of their own accord! She waits to hear what mystic wisdom the other woman might be about to pronounce...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471

NecromancerGuy

"Eligos wasn't always the scholar you now know, Marzena - it was many decades ago, but he began his career as an adventuring warrior. His talents for the arcane surfaced quickly, though, and now his mastery of obscure lore completely overshadows his ability with weapons or armor. But yes, he was serving Tenser elsewhere during most of the time you studied under the archmage," replies Allustan with a chuckle. From the look in his eyes he seemed to be recollecting times long since past before returning to the present and starting to clear the table for Marzena's cards.

After the cards cease moving there is little more for anyone else to see, but the battle-mage/witch sees many things in a blur, too fast to absorb at first. Once she gains control of the spell and can apply her own knowledge to the psychic search her body grows still for several seconds - she doesn't even seem to breath. When she opens her eyes again she has learned something, but it remains less than she had hoped. It seems that the knowledge Marzena wanted resists being found, as if there were a powerful, semi-active will opposing its discovery...

Spoiler: Results for the Age of Worms
    Show
    Over two thousand years ago, prophecy foretold a coming apocalypse, a time of death and wriggling destruction. The prophecy has not changed significantly in this time, as it resists the efforts of fanatics to reword its predictions in support of transient agendas. There are eight events predicted that herald the dawn of this Age of Worms. These tragedies include world-shaking destruction, unholy powers rising, and powerful artifacts being rediscovered. Through them all the worm that walks dreams, waiting the day its heralds rouse it to feed on all that is...

Spoiler: Results for Kyuss
    Show
    Kyuss is a demigod or minor deity (details vary on which) associated with creation and mastery of undead. His symbol is a human skull infested with small green worms. His portfolio includes the creation and control of undead, decay, unholy transformation of the flesh, and worms.

Spoiler: Results of Wormspawn
    Show
    In addition to what Marzena recalled here, she learns the following from her visions:

Magic that removes curses or diseases can save someone infected with the worms of Kyuss even if they have reached the victim's brain. Such a magic effect directed at the spawn itself can transform all but the most powerful into normal zombies. (Note that if the effect allows a save, even if labeled "harmless" the spawn can attempt to resist the spell effect and remain a full spawn.)

Some of Kyuss' spawn are much more powerful than the typical spawn and possess strange powers - like the ability to exhale clouds of noxious grave wind or the ability to spray the surrounding area with infectious worms. Not all spawn of Kyuss are humanoid in shape and worms might infest a variety of natural and monstrous forms.

Favored spawn of Kyuss (which are rumored to evidence the impending Age of Worms) and other, non-humanoid creatures infected with the worms are often called "Wormspawn" by knowledgeable sages who survive encountering them. The more common spawn (which you all encountered below Blackwall Keep) have existed for centuries and, while dangerous, do not necessarily portent such an apocalypse.

"Did your cards lead you to discover something of value?" Allustan asks seriously, with no hint of skepticism in his voice.

22. - Top - End - #472

Marzena opens her eyes, a haunted look in them. She's visibly shaken. "This phrase got into my mind... I... saw it... I don't know where... It says: The worm that walks dreams, waiting the day its heralds rouse it to feed on all that is..."

She pauses, shakes her head to dispel the vision and gather her thoughts.

"Sorry. The visions aren't always the most clear or coherent. This way of looking for things is faster than traveling to the Akashic Archive, but it tends to give multiple, disconnected perspectives.

Anyway, here's what I got. Kyuss is some sort of god. Master of undead, worms, flesh rotting and the dead rising, the works. Symbol: A human skull infested with small green worms. Obviously connected with what's going on right now. The Age of Worms: Old prophecy of apocalypse. There are eight events predicted to herald this Age of Worms, I saw some of them : Huge destruction, unholy powers rising, and powerful artifacts being rediscovered. I didn't see the other five, but those three are bad enough. And, well, unholy powers rising, I think we've seen that, but not the other two things.

Then, there's the wormspawn. The good news is, it's possible to fight the infestation of worms in the body by removing it like a disease or a curse. This can save a victim, and in cases where it's too late, at least it can turn the pawn into your regular ol' zombie.

The bad news is, the ones we met are just the easy ones. There are worse things, with the power to spew worms, or winds from the grave. And they aren't always your regular bipedal undead. The worms can infect bigger and stranger creatures too."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-09-29 at 09:56 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia frowns, considering the implications of what Marzena has just described. "So this Kyuss is... some kind of lord of undeath, with power of deific proportions. And he, or 'it'?, wishes to spread his unholy blight across the realm... That cannot be allowed to happen! Did your vision include anything about the means he's using to attain power, or how he might be stopped?"
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick watches with a scowl, plainly suspicious but willing to humor their new companion. When one card moves, he blinks, scowling deeper. When the rest join, playing out a bizarre dance on the table in front of him, his expression melts into one of confusion. He glances about, taking in Allustan's matter-of-fact acceptance, Jan's gleeful curiosity, and Lydia and Olofire's more professional detachment in turn before deciding there might be something to this, after all.

Finally, when Marzena seems to return and expounds upon what she's learned, it doesn't seem much new information is divulged. However, her sources align with what they've learned elsewhere, so the whole thing gains a measure of believability. He turns to Lydia. "I've got some ideas on that last part," he murmurs with a smug smirk. He squeezes his hand shut tightly into a fist, reflexively testing the responsiveness of his muscles. "I'd love to share them with this 'Kyuss', given the chance."

25. - Top - End - #475

"That's about it", Marzena replies to Lydia's question. "Hopefully, Eligos will know more. But, before we go, we'll want to stock up on ways to fix a worm infestation. Is there a place in town where I could buy a scroll?"

26. - Top - End - #476
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"That's about it", Marzena replies to Lydia's question. "Hopefully, Eligos will know more. But, before we go, we'll want to stock up on ways to fix a worm infestation. Is there a place in town where I could buy a scroll?"
    If we intend to stock up on things, I can go back to my lab and make some alchemical items that might help. However, that will cost us time. And frankly, money for materials. There are a few things I learned in my extra curricular studies at the University that might help. And I have some ideas on others.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

If there's anything you would like made outside of alchemist's fire let me know. I had done some research a while ago but can't find my notes on other ideas I had to craft. I'll look more tonight.

27. - Top - End - #477

NecromancerGuy

Allustan takes in the conversation silently, his expression troubled. "Dark portents of a darker, forgotten god..." he murmurs to himself as he thinks over what they know. More loudly he addresses everyone, saying, "I think you should all be as well prepared as you can be - alchemically and otherwise. As you face more wormspawn we should consider it to be more signs of Kyuss' growing in power and influence as well. I would not assume that you understand specifics about these prophecies, though. Even resilient predictions have a way of being misinterpreted or even misidentified. For example, there have been many events over the last several millennia that fit the descriptions of 'huge destruction' or 'unholy powers rising.' There are dozens of powerful artifacts that pop into and out of the historical record that likely have nothing to do with the Age of Worms.

However, you must find out more about these prophecies...specifics if at all possible. I recommend you collect all the evidence you have found so far and take it to Eligos. The various worms you have collected - from the necromancer's lab to the corrupted potions - the documents from the Ebon Triad cult, and your own eye-witness accounts will likely all prove significant. Eligos will help you find answers in Greyhawk, or help you find someone else who knows more if necessary.
    "

Looking around the room Allustan smiles. "I think we are blessed to have champions such as all of you fighting this fight," he says as he notices Frederick's gauntleted fist. "Don't be too eager to fight a demigod, but know that I wouldn't want to oppose you either!"

There are a couple of shops in town (see previous threads, including my introduction (first two posts) to the first adventure here), though none have the breadth of items that you will find in Greyhawk. I will review the campaign notes and see what you can purchase now and update this post accordingly.

Spoiler: Alchemical Items for Olofire
    Show
    Kyuss Worm Paste - This cup-sized container of bad-smelling greenish-brown paste renders a creature immune to the green worms of a spawn of Kyuss. Any worm from a spawn (or similar worm attacks, such as slow worms) dies instantly if it touches a creature protected by the paste. Applying the paste is a full-round action and lasts 1 hour. Each cup of paste can protect one creature. If the container is thrown at a normal spawn, it transforms the creature into a normal zombie, just as if remove curse had been used.

Faint abjuration: CL 5th: Craft Wondrous Item or Brew Potion, Neutralize Poison: Price 750 GP

Kyussbane Oil - This rank, oily substance gives a weapon the undead-bane property for 1 hour. Any spawn of Kyuss or similar creature struck by the affected weapon takes +1d6 damage in addition to the +2d6 from the bane property.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item or Brew Potion, Summon Monster I; Price 750 GP

Silversheen

The next several posts need to be pushed by all of you. How do you wish to prepare for your trip? What sorts of purchases do you want to make now vs. later? Do you want to set up someone to care for the house while you are gone? There are some encounters I have planned before you get to Greyhawk, so don't go too crazy, but we are getting ready to leave Diamond Lake for a bit longer than the last chapter, and your PCs know this. Plan accordingly.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Somehow, the little office-turned-home seems different. It was tough to leave the first time, and that was planning to return imminently. This one feels different. Frederick pauses at the narrow stone gate, looking on the first place that's felt like his home. Sure, Osgood put him up for a while and helped teach him enough to get him off the ground. Still, that stifling home attached to the blacksmith's shop never felt right, and the apartment he rented might have even been worse. Never before here did he feel like he could settle down and live the simple life.

He sighs, plodding towards the frame, Leeroy in tow. How could anything ever be simple, after Arkiana and Lyr? Shaking his shaggy head, he pokes his head inside. He looks about a few times, surprised to be the first one here. Without waiting for them, he takes Leeroy around to the small makeshift barn and makes sure he has plenty of oats and clean straw in the stall dedicated to him.

A few minutes later, Frederick unloads his cares onto the couch in the main room. Within a few moments, he's dozing- snoring quietly as he waits for the others to arrive to begin their preparations. Here, more than anywhere else, he rests easy.

29. - Top - End - #479

Marzena yawns loudly, the exertions of the day having taken their toll. "Sorry... Er... All right, I think we know where to go next. Tomorrow I'll go see to some purchases and then we'll be on our way to Greyhawk. Say, old friend, would you mind letting me have a room for the night?"

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I didn't want to do this, but I think you all need to go to Greyhawk and meet with Eligos. He may not know the answers to the questions we face, but he will have access to the many libraries in Greyhawk and the sages that tend them. Between the clues you have found and Eligos' research we may just be able to get a handle on what we are really facing here. If you will do this, I will help you collect all of your notes and evidence. Then I will send you with directions to Eligos' home. What do you think?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Frederick's sighs deeply before nodding reluctantly. "I suppose it was bound to happen eventually," he grumbles, taking a long deep sip of his tea.
    Jan's expression of intrigue and excitement at the prospect of experiencing the famous city melts into one of confusion at her companion's expression... but for the moment, she holds her peace.

"Anyway, I'm going to show you something I learned, since that day when you advised me to look for a different path to magic - a piece of wisdom I'm so grateful for! Mind if I clear this table?" Without further ado, she takes her deck of cards out, and lays them all face down on the table, in a seemingly random pattern.
    Jan grins excitedly, and she stands on the tall chair provided for her to rest her hands on the table to watch. "Oh goodie goodie gumdrops!!" she giggles to herself...

After the cards have ceased their motions, Jan watches the battle-mage with wide, eager eyes... but the haunted look in the latter's eyes gives pause to the gnome. Watching with furrowed brows, she listens to the ill omens given by the companion with increasing concern.

"I think we are blessed to have champions such as all of you fighting this fight," he says as he notices Frederick's gauntleted fist. "Don't be too eager to fight a demigod, but know that I wouldn't want to oppose you either!"
    Jan smiles at the mage's first comment, but the latter causes the gnome to erupt in deep, belly-laughing guffaws. "Oh, Allustan! You are just too cute, and wayyyy too neighborly for something like that. I mean, who would want to mess with you?" Cackling (just a bit too hard) at the internal amusement, she shakes her head as the giggles subside, clambering down from her raised seat to pat the mage's hip reassuringly.

"Sorry... Er... All right, I think we know where to go next. Tomorrow I'll go see to some purchases and then we'll be on our way to Greyhawk. Say, old friend, would you mind letting me have a room for the night?"
    "Nonsense!" interjects Jan, "We have plenty of space at the house, don't we, Freddy?" Looking up to her half-orc friend for confirmation, she turns back to Marzena to grin invitingly. "I don't know what you book-learning types do at night, but we wouldn't want to disturb Good Master Allustan's beauty sleep, now would we?"

Waving the battle-mage to join their little band, the gnome pads off toward the door.