New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "Nonsense!" interjects Jan, "We have plenty of space at the house, don't we, Freddy?" Looking up to her half-orc friend for confirmation, she turns back to Marzena to grin invitingly.
    Frederick starts, a little surprised by the outburst, but nods. "Of course, you're welcome to stay with us Marzena. If you'd rather have more time to reconnect with Allustan, I certainly won't be offended." As she and the rest of the party finalize their evening plans, Frederick excuses himself to get Leeroy home.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Firbolg in the Playground

Marzena smiles in spite of herself. The always cheerful gnome's mood is so infectious. In spite of the ominous portents, of the frightful struggles ahead of her, she can't help but feel her heart lifted.

"Yes, I will spend time with my old friend, recounting stories and sharing again everything we know together! But I understand we'll spend a few days here, so there will be time for that. And I have thrown my lot with you guys, and the cards tell me we have many battles ahead of us, together. So, I need to get to know you more. Maybe even a little training as a group, you know, and planning for battle tactics. I'm no longer a battlemage in title, but there are war magic tricks we ought to discuss. I'll gladly accept your invitation, and join the useful with the pleasant!"

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"If you've plenty of space, I may board with you as well. The garrison is not so comfortable that I'm eager to enjoy its hospitality again..." At Marzena's suggestion of 'battle tactics' she brightens up considerably. "Yes! The most sensible words I've heard since I arrived. Of course we should discuss tactics! I'm keen to understand the limits of your magics, and seeing the way the good doctor maneuvers about has given me a few ideas for a superior formation. You see, I was thinking that I could feint an attack from the side, which would give Olofire an opportunity to slip into the enemies' midst, and then..." She happy continues this line of thought as long as anyone is willing to listen.

Spoiler: Shopping and downtime
    Show
    I'll make a pass through the PHB, but I think Lydia is good to go on mundane items. She's interested in the Kyussbane Oil, especially, if Olofire can provide some. She'll contribute her magic to the crafting efforts however she can.

Its been a while since I've updated the loot spreadsheet so I'll go and do that next. Otherwise, Lydia is largely ready to return to Greyhawk whenever the others are.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick finds himself oddly at peace with the time spent preparing for travel. Some if it is spent going through the forms with his new trident, and marveling at the wonderful oddness that brings it back to his hand every time he flings it haphazardly into a tree trunk. After a few days (and eventually no doubt destroying the tree in question), he updates his target practices with a pair of heavy bales of straw. Once he's well and truly destroyed yet another, it becomes feed for Leeroy, and is replaced with another.

One afternoon, as their ordeal in the lizardfolk's lair has begun to fade into memory, he stumbles upon the shield recovered from the cultists of the Ebon Triad, and looks at it with new appreciation. That evening, he shoulders the shield along with the trident, and takes them into Diamond Lake, hoping to find a cleric able to remove whatever taint that place and its (mis)use might bring, and repurpose it for the Archpaladin's use.

5. - Top - End - #485

NecromancerGuy

The unusual assortment of heroes walks to their home, recently rebuilt from the collapsed ruins of an old mine office, their spirits mixed. As they pass the roadside shrine to Fharlanghn and the graves of several of their comrades Frederick, Jan, and Olofire explain some of the story of how they got here - the personalities, the bravery displayed, the final sacrifices given in the face of evil. It seems that the ground around the house is largely undisturbed by animals or man, located far enough from the center of Diamond Lake that most of the town residents probably don't know about it. Whether it is the rocky soil or some other, less mundane reason, there don't appear to be any signs of the green worms that have plagued the wild areas where the PCs have traveled, either.

The house still has many of the smells of fresh carpentry and stonework. It also remains clean, if not really very comfortable yet. Olofire finds his alchemy lab in the basement in the condition he left it and a small collection of books on religion and divine powers has been started for a library on the ground floor. Seeing the books reminds the three original members of the company of the young woman who acquired them (Arkiana) and her intense focus and drive. While the few books collected so far aren't enough to provide a bonus to any knowledge rolls, that was the original intent of starting the collection. Investing in more tomes could lead to providing a bonus to Knowledge (Religion) if new books are on the same topics. It could also be developed in a different direction, if desired.

There are enough beds for everyone and a semblance of privacy available for quiet, personal thoughts or tasks. Everyone drifts off to their own activities before winding down to a good night's rest.

In the morning Olofire begins his studies and works to remove the worms from the party's pilfered potions. He finds the vermin to be particularly determined to resist his efforts to physically remove them - they wriggle through all but the finest of filters and somehow make it around even his finest sieves and into the containers below to hide in the potion liquids. It does occur to the halfling doctor that with the aide of some restorative spells (such as remove disease) he could neutralize (kill) the worms entirely, though. Once done the dead worms could provide material components for Kyuss Worm Paste or Kyussbane Oil (collecting all the worms from the potions you have will provide you enough raw material for two doses - either one of each item or two of one item). I recommend engaging with the spellcasters to roleplay this. I will provide more details as you do. Alternatively, you could save some potions to present as evidence to Eligos in Greyhawk.

The more combat oriented adventurers collect old gear and mark off areas in the yard outside to practice and drill. The hours spent help bring the three closer together as they push each other in their different ways and help to develop some routines that might help them in the near future. As Frederick gets ready to head into town to get his recovered shield repurposed, Marzena mentions needing some help acquiring some arcane scrolls of unusual spells. Frederick remembers an encounter with the local temple of Wee Jas and their reserved priestess. Maybe she could help both PCs...?

As for Jan, she sleeps late and watches the antics of her allies with glee, but doesn't immediately find anything to do around the house. @JWallyR - what sorts of things would Jan want around her new home to make it comfortable and really hers? We should identify some of what you are doing during this downtime.

@Everyone - when the house was rebuilt it was simply a building. Low level PCs don't have many enemies, and those they have don't tend to have powerful, magical tools at their disposal to harass a party. I strongly recommend looking into at least some basic security measures for the home and grounds. There are tons of NPCs in the area that can help in a variety of ways. If you need a refresher on the sorts of groups around, look here and here. I would be thrilled to roleplay encounters with more of the cast of NPCs in the area.

It doesn't take long to collect the notes and artifacts from previous adventures that the party plans to bring to Greyhawk. The preserved green worm found in the necromancer Filge's lab and the silver diadem, two demon horns, and the inert talisman of the sphere from the Whispering Cairn are all collected and discussed. Then, the documents found in the caverns below the Dourstone mines come out (the journal of Theldrick the Hextorite heretic, the mad ramblings of Grallak Kur, the witch-shaman of the Erythnul-worshipping grimlocks, and finally the letter from the Faceless One, archivist of Vecna, to Theldrick). They read these again and recall the horrors of Lyr's death, the wonder of his brief, post-death return, and the battle with the Ebon Aspect. Frederick also remembers the discovery of the animated corpses of his uncle and grandfather and the relief he felt at their final burial outside.

In some ways, the adventures in the swamp seem mundane in the face of such powerful, divine evil...until everyone realizes that they lack anything concrete to prove what they saw there. All they will have is their accounts of the ever-present worms, the infested kobolds and lizardfolk king, and the undead-corrupted black dragon egg. How can they even talk about the Spawn of Kyuss under Blackwall Keep?

It seems like it will be easier to pack and travel to Greyhawk than to even tell the story of what has happened to Eligos once they get there...

6. - Top - End - #486

The next few weeks are busy for Marzena. She only spends a small amount of time becoming acquainted with the town of Diamond Lake, not being particularly interested in any of the attractions found there. The amount of injustice, poverty and crime present in the place strike her, and she certainly exerts some charity when the opportunity arises, but redressing all the wrongs that exist here is clearly beyond her abilities. Besides, the portents of Kyuss and the Age of Worms loom large in her mind, focusing her towards a higher goal.

First, she gets to know her companions better. She respectfully listens to their stories, in particular those of the group members who have fallen in the effort. She reads everything there is to read about their discoveries, and examines any item they found which might be relevant. She also does her best to understand who her companions are, what makes them tick, and how they like to work together. This goes beyond conversations and meals taken together. Assuming they give her permission to do so, she performs a Harrowing on each of them. "We're going to undertake dangerous tasks together. The cards are my way to help. The knowledge of one's fortune, gained from the cards, is good - most of the time. Sometimes however, it can be detrimental. Such is the Harrow - an attempt to tinker with fate is never a completely risk-free endeavor."

Spoiler
    Show
    This refers to the Harrowing spell. Unless her companions disagree, she plans to cast the spell once per day, so that they each have a Harrowing active most of the time.

As a first example, she'll do a Harrowing on herself, aimed at the purpose of learning and training against the Ages of Worms threat.

9 cards (I'll post the list of Harrow cards in the OOC thread):
    (1d54)[6] +1 to an attack roll
    (1d54)[16] -1 to Reflex saves
    (1d54)[33] +1 to a skill check
    (1d54)[8] +1 to an attack roll
    (1d54)[10] +1 to a Reflex save
    (1d54)[33] +1 to a skill check
    (1d54)[42] +1 to a Will save
    (1d54)[52] -1 to any rolls (ouch)
    (1d54)[2] +1 to an attack roll
    ... so this is a pretty bad reading, and I would typically hasten to make another one to cancel it.

She visits Amariss in the Temple of Wee Jas, to inquire about the ability to purchase some carefully chosen scrolls, with the intention to expand her mastery of magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    At a minimum, she needs a scroll of Remove Disease. Unfortunately, the coin portion of the loot doesn't get her very far: level 4 spells are unaffordable. I'll write a list of other target spells in the OOC thread.

She writes to her mother, Acerna, in Greyhawk, to give an abridged account of her adventures and ask about any knowledge of the religion of an ancient god named Kyuss, the Ebon Triad cult, or any related matters.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is intended to continue building on the book collection started by Arkiana. Marzena is prepared to spend money, but spell acquisition will be her first priority.

She talks shop with Jan and Dr Olofire, comparing the sources of arcane power, how they are separate but yet overlap in sometimes unexpectable ways. "My dear Doctor, did you know there exists a spell that can transform an alchemical substance into another? It only lasts a few minutes, but I find the possibilities fascinating..."

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a reference to the Alchemical Tinkering spell. If Olofire expresses interest, Marzena will seek to acquire the spell.

She's quite knowledgeable about the topic, and she tells them how it relates to her personal experience of trying to learn how to use magic. "I was remarkably unsuccessful with the regular path of scholarly arcane learning. Even though I was able to read and understand the theory reasonably well, I never could master the practice. The cards, in fact, are the only conduit I found for casting spells. It was Allustan who put me on the path to this discovery..."

Spoiler
    Show
    HEre, Marzena refers to her own experience. Read her backstory in the character sheet (link in my signature) for details.

She also spends a considerable amount of time with Lydia, and any other willing group members, to discuss the applicability of their respective spells in battle, and how they can be used to help Frederick, Olofire and Lydia bringing their more physical power to bear.

Spoiler
    Show
    For any actual discussion of this, the OOC thread is more convenient, I think.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-10-10 at 02:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    In the morning Olofire begins his studies and works to remove the worms from the party's pilfered potions. He finds the vermin to be particularly determined to resist his efforts to physically remove them - they wriggle through all but the finest of filters and somehow make it around even his finest sieves and into the containers below to hide in the potion liquids. It does occur to the halfling doctor that with the aide of some restorative spells (such as remove disease) he could neutralize (kill) the worms entirely, though. Once done the dead worms could provide material components for Kyuss Worm Paste or Kyussbane Oil (collecting all the worms from the potions you have will provide you enough raw material for two doses - either one of each item or two of one item). I recommend engaging with the spellcasters to roleplay this. I will provide more details as you do. Alternatively, you could save some potions to present as evidence to Eligos in Greyhawk.
    After trying all that he could to remove the live worm from the potion with out harming the magical properties within the vial, he realized that it may actually take magic to safely remove the creature. But will it remain living after the extraction? Only one way to find out. He goes to look for Lydia, Jan, and Marzena.

Would one of you please mind assisting me with something downstairs in the lab? I require some magic that I currently don't possess."

Spoiler: For whomever comes to help
    Show

"I have tried several different means if extracting the worms from these potions so that I could further study them. However, they continue to literally slip through the cracks. It occurs to me that these creatures, being magical in nature, may require a more magical solution to remove. Observing their affect on living creatures, they act as a disease on the mind and body. What I would like to try is use your magic to basically remove the disease, that is the worm, from the potion. Do you have any such magics available to you to try?"

8. - Top - End - #488

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    She talks shop with Jan and Dr Olofire, comparing the sources of arcane power, how they are separate but yet overlap in sometimes unexpectable ways. "My dear Doctor, did you know there exists a spell that can transform an alchemical substance into another? It only lasts a few minutes, but I find the possibilities fascinating..."

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a reference to the Alchemical Tinkering spell. If Olofire expresses interest, Marzena will seek to acquire the spell.
    That is fascinating indeed! I'm not sure off the top of my head in what ways I would want to utilize that right now. You see, my studies are more biological in nature. How alchemical can improve the body. Whether it be healing or enhancing, as you have now seen. Lately my studies have been more towards the enhancing side of things. He smiles to Marzena. Dr. Olofire and Arkiana never really truly got along. Amearin was an old classmate, but the venture into the Twisted Branch made Dr. Olofire realize how far beyond just his studies he has grown. Yet, Marzena showed an interest in his work, even though she did not know the full extent of it. It was refreshing to talk about it. A wave of happiness washes over him, which he hasn't felt for some time. Was that just the events weighing down on him? Or could there be something else going on internally? He filed it away for now, but would need to address it at some point.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan grins at Marzena's suggestion that the magic-users in the group confer. She does not however match Lydia's apparent enthusiasm at a more martial exercise in tactics and training, but she nods placidly. "Oh, sure, 'hit them from behind' and all that kind of thing," she chatters idly, "..but what I want to know is, what was that thing with the cards?? That was incredible! Nothing I couldn't recreate with an illusion, but once the show is over there'd be nothing to show for it..."

After scavenging a few low cushions and appropriately gnome-sized bits of furniture to make her own little 'nest' in an unoccupied corner of the living area in the little building that has become her home, Jan shuffles out to where Frederick is practicing destruction with his trident.

Grinning at his early, clumsy efforts as he attunes himself to the unfamiliar weapon, she begins to grudgingly appreciate his aim. Grinning mischievously to herself, she begins to entertain herself by playing a few harmless pranks on the paladin... creating an illusion of the haystack that gradually slides aside from the real haystack, causing the paladin to question his aim until he realizes the gnome's trickery. An eyebrow-raised glance sends the gnome into fits of laughter, spoiling her concentration on the illusion and removing the impediment to his continued practice.

Waving her apologies to her oldest friend, she pads off in the direction of Diamond Lake proper, and what modest excitements are available in the bars and dives that exist to divide the town's miners from their hard-earned coin. Soaking up what gossip there is, she realizes that her world has expanded much beyond the borders and provincial lives of those in this little corner of the world.

Thoughts turned toward the grave errand onto which she and her companions have stumbled, Jan trots off to seek the guidance and aid of what clergy exist to serve the town's spiritual needs.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I'm not sure what she should look for, aside from a wand of CLW for UMD purposes in dire straits.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

10. - Top - End - #490

NecromancerGuy

Marzena finds that the closest thing to a real post office in the backwater that is Diamond Lake is either at the garrison or handled by the regular deliveries to/from Taggin's General Store. Since Taggin's is less consistent, she eventually finds the message runner team at the local fort. The young man that day takes her sealed letter, confirms the address, and agrees to have it delivered for free this time as a favor to the ex-soldier. Further letters will require a (largely inconsequential) fee, but it appears her reputation back at Blackwall Keep isn't unknown here. The knowledge that a veteran battle mage has decided to take up (temporary?) residence with the recent heroes of Diamond Lake has already made it around the military community in town, for better or worse.

Will Marzena make any efforts to reach out and invest in her reputation and build any connections in town this way?

The Cairn of the Green Lady is, for the town of Diamond Lake, an imposing edifice outside of town. Surrounded by consecrated graveyards carefully tended by the faithful, the dark stone cathedral is highlighted with red and green stained glass that will look very impressive (and gloomy) at night. Marzena is greeted at the door by a young male acolyte, clean shaven and soft spoken. He opens the door silently and waits until the battle mage makes her request before nodding and escorting her inside. The acolyte guides her to an office where he politely knocks on the closed, heavy wooden door. When it open the woman before you is very thin with short cropped black hair and sharp features. She speaks quietly but with a tone full of confidence, saying, "Yes? What can the faithful of the Witch Goddess do for you today, child?"

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    Would one of you please mind assisting me with something downstairs in the lab? I require some magic that I currently don't possess."
    Remove Disease will neutralize and kill the worm. Any characters capable of duplicating the effect or casting the spell can respond to Olofire's request with success pre-approved by the DM.

Her easy going attitude allows Jan to get comfortable (in the short term) very easily, and the amount of camping in rough environments lately help her to sleep easily in spite of the few gnome-sized furnishings in their little house. It occurs to Jan that perhaps Tidwoad could help her identify a source for appropriately sized furniture, both for her and the ever-focused halfling doctor. When she enters his shop she finds the jeweler intently looking at some gems with a series of magnifying tools. The bell on his door rings and he says, in an irritable voice, "One moment, please! If you wish to look around, go ahead but I need just a moment to...finish...this...cut...!" With a decisive move he takes a precise tool and cuts the gem before him along a fault, resulting in an immediate improvement of his spirits. "There! Excellent, now, to you..." Looking up he recognizes Jan and laughs! "Miss Janstina! You're back - how have your adventures been? Do you come with jewels to sell, or maybe you wish for me to cut something for you? What can I do for you today?"

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

At the appointed time, Frederick joins Marzena for a trip to the outskirts of Diamond Lake. Both of them sharing a need to speak with the followers of Wee Jas, it is made more simple to show her to the cathedral, though directions wouldn't have been difficult. He walks mostly in silence, still not entirely sure what to make of Marzena's affinity for the Harrow, nor his own concerns over the recovered shield.

Inside, Frederick inclines his head politely to the priestess, feeling a bit out of sorts to be once more in such an alien place. Other than the obviously hierarchal nature, the priestess' behavior always struck him as odd. Still, better to be safe than sorry, and no better person to ask than the odd but undeniably non-evil priestesses of another magic-serving god.

He looks up to meet the priestess's eye, having already taken the shield from his back. "Pardon the intrusion, miss. I have some concerns over this device, recovered in the depths of halls dedicated to Vecna. I would use it to serve The Archpaladin, and must be sure that none of its former master's machinations linger upon it."

12. - Top - End - #492

After trying all that he could to remove the live worm from the potion with out harming the magical properties within the vial, he realized that it may actually take magic to safely remove the creature. But will it remain living after the extraction? Only one way to find out. He goes to look for Lydia, Jan, and Marzena.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll punt on this one for a bit, because it depends on whether Marzena successfully acquires the Remove Disease spell.

That is fascinating indeed! I'm not sure off the top of my head in what ways I would want to utilize that right now. You see, my studies are more biological in nature. How alchemical can improve the body. Whether it be healing or enhancing, as you have now seen. Lately my studies have been more towards the enhancing side of things. He smiles to Marzena. Dr. Olofire and Arkiana never really truly got along. Amearin was an old classmate, but the venture into the Twisted Branch made Dr. Olofire realize how far beyond just his studies he has grown. Yet, Marzena showed an interest in his work, even though she did not know the full extent of it. It was refreshing to talk about it. A wave of happiness washes over him, which he hasn't felt for some time. Was that just the events weighing down on him? Or could there be something else going on internally? He filed it away for now, but would need to address it at some point.
    Marzena and Olofire enjoy an evening of shared stories and insights, ranging from the silly and amusing, like anecdotes about laboratory mishaps and pranks she played on some of her teachers, to the deep and serious, including some of the advanced knowledge they acquired from their respective experiences. She finds the halfling a pleasant companion to talk to, and he discovers in her an engaging researcher, always curious and ready to explore the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Jan grins at Marzena's suggestion that the magic-users in the group confer. She does not however match Lydia's apparent enthusiasm at a more martial exercise in tactics and training, but she nods placidly. "Oh, sure, 'hit them from behind' and all that kind of thing," she chatters idly, "..but what I want to know is, what was that thing with the cards?? That was incredible! Nothing I couldn't recreate with an illusion, but once the show is over there'd be nothing to show for it..."

"Certainly, I'm always happy to explain the workings of the art! You see, all magic, is at heart, the power to manipulate reality, and the various practices and traditions of magic are just different ways to aim for the same goal - unlocking that power to beneficial use. It can be done with words and incantations, intricate gestures, handling amulets and other power focusing objects, driving power through a staff or wand or other implement... For me, it's the cards. That deck was given to me by my mother, who also has the power in her blood, you see. The cards, in many magical traditions, hold the secrets of fate, and they can be used to uncover what it holds in store, and even... sometimes, tinker with fate, oh, at the margins, yes, sure, but sometimes... sometimes, the effects can be profound.

Most days, I use the simple Harrowing spell to uncover one's luck, and maybe improve it, for a few days. But for the information we sought, about Kyuss, I needed the cards' assistance to looking into something much more difficult: the unfathomable breadth, heights and depths of the Akhashic Record itself. The cards served as a guide on the spiritual path to the Record, and that's how I got a glimpse of information. This is not something I can attempt too often, though... It might drive me mad eventually!"

Marzena finds that the closest thing to a real post office in the backwater that is Diamond Lake is either at the garrison or handled by the regular deliveries to/from Taggin's General Store. Since Taggin's is less consistent, she eventually finds the message runner team at the local fort. The young man that day takes her sealed letter, confirms the address, and agrees to have it delivered for free this time as a favor to the ex-soldier. Further letters will require a (largely inconsequential) fee, but it appears her reputation back at Blackwall Keep isn't unknown here. The knowledge that a veteran battle mage has decided to take up (temporary?) residence with the recent heroes of Diamond Lake has already made it around the military community in town, for better or worse.

Marzena is happy to share some of the stories from her experience in the Keep with the local garrison. She doesn't hide the difficult truth of the wormspawn. We heard of dark powers rising... If these men get at least a warning, it might save their life, and what I did wouldn't be for naught. But she makes sure her listeners don't leave her company without a firm conviction - that these horrors, however scary, can be taken down by a group of resolute men, with some arcane or divine assistance..

The Cairn of the Green Lady is, for the town of Diamond Lake, an imposing edifice outside of town. Surrounded by consecrated graveyards carefully tended by the faithful, the dark stone cathedral is highlighted with red and green stained glass that will look very impressive (and gloomy) at night. Marzena is greeted at the door by a young male acolyte, clean shaven and soft spoken. He opens the door silently and waits until the battle mage makes her request before nodding and escorting her inside. The acolyte guides her to an office where he politely knocks on the closed, heavy wooden door. When it open the woman before you is very thin with short cropped black hair and sharp features. She speaks quietly but with a tone full of confidence, saying, "Yes? What can the faithful of the Witch Goddess do for you today, child?"
    "Revered Mother, I have recently faced a truly dangerous hazard, in the form of undead monsters that can infest one with deadly worms that crawl under the skin. But, I have learned that the best way to fight the infestation is a magical disease curing spell. I therefore humbly request a chance to acquire the appropriate spell from you. There are also a few lesser spells that would be of use in these circumstances. I would be delighted to make the appropriate donation to the temple of the Stern Lady."

Spoiler
    Show
    Marzena hopes to acquire scrolls of the following
    Remove Disease
    Mage Armor
    False Life

13. - Top - End - #493

NecromancerGuy

The priestess listens to both the armored paladin and the battle mage silently, turning to face each as they speak. "Please, come inside my office," she says as she opens the door and ushers them both inside to a pair of chairs. "May I?" she asks as she gestures to look at the shield for Frederick. Once he gives it to her she lifts it smoothly, showing clear signs of training as she first straps it to her arm and then faces it away from the pair. "It's a blinding shield, I see...well made and enchanted, though the enchantment is not as strong as some. You say you recovered this from the vaults of the Maimed One's cult? Impressive...was it the heretical one you and your companions cleaned out below Diamond Lake, or elsewhere?"

As Frederick answers her polite but thorough questions about the shield and the circumstances of its recovery she goes to a bookshelf on the wall and recovers an aged tome. "When dealing with deceitful forces it is sometimes necessary to use their own work. Sir Knight, please refrain from judgement upon me for consulting such dark tomes, but it is necessary to ensure your shield is clean. One moment..." Amariss opens the tome to a cloud of dust and the smell of death - the book has clearly remained unopened for many, many years and was used for dark purposes before that. "Ah, here we are - hidden mundanely...how clever..."

Closing the book and returning it to its place on the shelf, the priestess walks back to her desk where the shield lies. "Please look here," she directs Frederick to the straps used to secure the shield to ones arm. "I recommend removing the braided, leather straps here. Within them you may find runes placed there by the cult, and even if you cannot find them I still recommend replacing the straps entirely. Burning the straps will ensure any enchantment hidden there is destroyed and doing such will not in anyway damage the shield or its enhancements. I am sure that Manlin Osgood can do the work if you cannot.

Now, go with the Ruby Sorceress' blessing and continue to shine light upon such dark powers. We have no love for the cult of Vecna and are grateful for your opposition to them.
    " Amariss bows her head to the paladin and then turns to Marzena with a thoughtful expression.

"There is much you have not said that makes me curious. Were you a fellow cleric, even of another deity, you would not need scrolls to learn spells. Simple prayer and sufficient strength of character will do. However, you ask for a spell to remove disease as if it could be learned from a scroll, something many great wizards have attempted for hundreds of years unsuccessfully..." Amariss falls silent as she looks at Marzena with piercing eyes. Then she nods. "You are not a wizard, not a sorceress, nor a musician bending reality to the whim of your art.

Wee Jas knows what you are, and she approves. Do not be afraid, you will find no judgement here, only welcome.
    " The priestess then smiles, though the expression looks somewhat foreign to her, as if she doesn't smile very frequently. "The good news is that I believe I can help you. However, I will need several days to prepare the scrolls properly. It is good that you came here to us. I doubt you that St. Cuthbert or even the Invincible Heironeous could easily produce such...hybrid magic. Please come back in three days time. I will have the scroll for you then."

@Gwynfrid Unfortunately Amariss cannot get you the purely arcane spells you want. In addition to Allustan there is at least one more arcane spellcaster in town, though that individual does not advertise themselves as such. If you want to get those spells before traveling to Greyhawk it will take either Allustan or that other individual to help you.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick answers succinctly, but honestly. He watches with narrowed eyes- nodding approvingly at the visible dust disturbed by this errand, as Amariss seeks answers to his question. He inclines his head gratefully, making careful effort to precisely note the straps and fixtures indicated by her research. After sharing a glance with Marzena, he recognizes the suddenly awkward nature of his presence, and excuses himself with a simple nod. "Ladies."

On the street, he glances back curiously at the cathedral while he makes his way to Diamond Lake, every step closer making him feel more and more naked for his lack of armoring. Still, trident and shield are enough to strike an imposing figure. Nearer to the blacksmith, the heavy smell of slag and coal fire fills the air as he trudges in. Finally, he breaks out in a wide grin at sight of the heavily muscle-bound smith, for the moment calling out orders from several paces behind an apprentice. "Osgood!" he calls out, bellowing over the din of a mostly steady rhythm of hammering. He boldly strides towards the round-faced man, leaving a wide enough berth on the forge to be mostly untainted by the fumes.

Frederick presents the shield in reverse, holding its face in his hands and showing Osgood the inside. "I know how you love to criticize a lesser man's work, so I brought you a treat. I want the straps replaced." At Manlin's questioning glance he shrugs. "I found it in the employ of... unsavory sorts. Amariss claims they hide their villainy in bands among the braids here, and they're the sorts of villains she and I share, so I believe her."

He meets the Osgood's stoic gaze for a moment, before smirking easily. "As I recall, you preferred cowhide anyway. This leaner stuff has to be elk or some kind of deer, right? Just doesn't have the same give in the grip, here..."

15. - Top - End - #495

NecromancerGuy

"WATCH IT! WATCH IT! DON'T LET IT COOL EARLY!" bellows the large blacksmith over the din of his forge at the young man heating a cup of metal. "IF YOU LET IT COOL YOU WEAKEN IT!" With a gesture he makes clear to Frederick that he sees the half-orc but cannot step away from his student right away.

After seeing to their project and ensuring it won't be ruined Manlin Osgood steps up, removing his gloves and retrieving his ear horn. "Lesser work? This shield is quiet excellent! Fine lines here and here, but you're right - these straps are weak. Amariss says they're dangerous, huh? Well, we can fix that!" With a couple of sharp motions he removes the straps, walks over to his forge, and tosses them into the flames. The puff of smoke they make as they burn up instantly doesn't hold any hints of dark magic, but it makes Frederick more comfortable anyway. "Cowhide would be fine for a standard shield, but this is clearly enchanted. No, for something like that I recommend something more fitting. What's the shield do?" he asks as he hefts it up and accidentally activates it with a brilliant flash. "Oh my, that's a shocker! Hmmm...well, I cannot think of anything thematic that might help reinforce that sort of power, so perhaps its best to keep it simple. I have some left over sharkskin that we could braid into strong handles if you have the time. Lose your fighting gear, get on an apron, and I'll get the leather-working tools..."

Over the next several hours the two men work to replace the straps and talk. Osgood's current apprentice works nearby and listens - sometimes too closely and allowing himself to be distracted from his work, earning a swift rebuke from the smith - and the afternoon passes productively. By evening Frederick's shield is clean and ready for use in battle and he has spent some time with one of his oldest friends in town. "Now, while you're in Greyhawk I want you to keep an eye out for me. I haven't been there in years and they always have new, trendy armors and weapons. All I make here are pickaxes and shovels, but you know I prefer more exciting work...If you find something that's really interesting, I need you to bring me a sample or plans or something so I can try it myself, alright?"

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick enjoys the encounter thoroughly, clearly demonstrating the most relaxed attitude and behavior he's experienced in weeks. He chuckles gently as Osgood responds exactly how he expected- taking literally the jests and remaining almost brutally focused on the task at hand. He averts his eyes deftly right before the smith floods the area with a blinding explosion. "That," Frederick chuckles. "It does that."

The usually surly Half-Orc blinks at Osgood's objection to cowhide. "You've got shark skin?" he marvels, gladly placing the trident into the corner and taking up an apron and awl. For the first time in entirely too long, Frederick honestly loses himself in the work.

Finally, their time comes to a close, and Frederick's attention returns to the grander matters at hand. There's an amusement still to Osgood's providential work and the idea that he'd rather make weapons of war, but there's a great deal of stress in the looming trip to Greyhawk. "You know I will, Osgood." He smiles, but it's a wan expression now. "I've got to be honest, though. This whole thing, man. It's... It's bad."

Frederick's gaze falls to the ground. He shakes his head, frowning. "I've already lost two friends to this. I know you won't spread idle chatter, so I'm willing to tell you more than I would most others- there was a man trapped beneath the keep for years, plagued by this vile infection. At least two others died there." He shakes his head again, before lifting his gaze to meet his mentor's.

"There's no guarantee I'm coming back, Sir."

17. - Top - End - #497

NecromancerGuy

"Yeah, I've got some shark skin - just some scraps left over from a project a while back. Once its cured right it lasts a long time. That sort of thing is great for climbing gloves, certain tools, and the like. It won't be enough to really help here, but it will feel good and secure in your hands," replies the big smith with a smile and a look in his eyes that shows he is lost for a moment in a memory.

"I never saw as much as you have, but I've traveled with rough people, long time ago. There's not much in this life that lasts...I mean, most everyone dies and death is only rarely gentle when it comes. Figure there are only two ways to meet death right - either fighting for something good until your last breath or after a long, peaceful life of building something that will last for a while. I saw some men die the first way and have chosen the other, if I can. If you have to face the reaper, do it like the man I think you are - stubbornly refusing an inch as you protect those who can't protect themselves.

In the meantime, though, keep an eye out. No point in not living just because things are dangerous, right?
    "

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I have tried several different means if extracting the worms from these potions so that I could further study them. However, they continue to literally slip through the cracks. It occurs to me that these creatures, being magical in nature, may require a more magical solution to remove. Observing their affect on living creatures, they act as a disease on the mind and body. What I would like to try is use your magic to basically remove the disease, that is the worm, from the potion. Do you have any such magics available to you to try?"
    "Certainly," Lydia replies, following the halfling doctor into his basement laboratory. The furnishings and overall space are cramped enough that she has to stoop slightly, but they suit the diminutive doctor well enough. "I got a good look at the magic that lizardfolk shaman used to cure Amearin, and I have beseeched Heironeous to make its power available to me every day since. If our foes can wield that kind of infestation as a weapon, I think it best to be prepared, don't you? Now, you mentioned something the other day about an oil or unguent that you theorized might be able to disrupt the unholy magics animating undead like the ones we fought below the keep. Have you made any progress on that theory?"

Lydia spends the first several afternoons in Diamond Lake sparring with Frederick, pitting longspear against trident and longsword against greatsword. After several grueling bouts she has to admit that the half-orc is the superior combatant - his size and ferocity give him an edge she can't surpass with armaments alone. But she scores enough hits and points of her own to reassure her that any true contest between them would be close.

When she tires of hearing Olofire's alchemical theorizing and drilling with Frederick in the yard, she makes her way back to Diamond Lake's garrison and asks to supervise a training session. The instructor in her can't stand merely sitting on the sidelines, however, and soon she finds herself working hands-on with the newer recruits: showing them how to properly move in formation and drilling them on proper form with spear and shield.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick nods, acknowledging his mentor's wisdom in the face of mortality. "Of course. None of us is guaranteed the next sunrise, as the book says. 'It will rise and it will fall. What matters is what we do with our time in the light,'" he quotes, falling easily into the repeated maxims shared between his patron and Pelor. Further acknowledged by Heironeous' commands to live with valor in the face of danger, Frederick bows his head for a quick moment of self-admonition and prayer.

"I will face what I must, and stand between the darkness and those less fit to face it," he states- perhaps as much to himself as Osgood. "And I have been told that bravery is not the lack of fear, but action despite it. That, I will do, as the Archpaladin wills." The paladin rises, a heavy dose of macabre humor now blending through his usually grim facade. He grips the shield's new straps, smiling eagerly at the prospect of its use.

One of select few capable of it, Frederick looks down on his mentor, now smiling warmly. "and if the Archpaladin wills it, I'll bring you spoils aplenty from their ransacked vaults and armories." He clasps hands with his old mentor and dearest friend. "Be well, goodman Osgood."

20. - Top - End - #500

NecromancerGuy

At first the soldiers at the garrison are a bit stand-off-ish towards Lydia. Her offer is so out of character with the people of Diamond Lake that it takes her several days of consistent visits and genuine offers before Father Valkus Dun, the garrison chaplain (and fellow Heironean), steps in and convinces the leadership present to give Lydia a chance. "Sometimes the laymen don't understand that our faith is as much about waging war effectively as it is about waging war for the right reasons," he confides to Lydia as he walks with her to the indoctrination class for new recruits from Greyhawk. Once they find the group of young soldiers - four men and one woman - in the courtyard the older man introduces her to the group. After observing her for several minutes he excuses himself.

Several minutes later one of the senior enlisted, Sergeant Donovan, a strict but fair soldier who had been receptive to Lydia earlier, arrives to help with the training. He has a clipboard with training requirements and a schedule to follow, which helps to keep the small team focused. The training seems to go well, especially the physical training and squad tactics (led by Lydia). "Ma'am, I know you have other duties, but when you are in town, come and find me. Your help will always be welcome in training the junior soldiers," says Sergeant Donovan on their last day working together before the party leaves for Greyhawk. "Duty to the Arch-Paladin!" he concludes, with the traditional fist-on-chest salute as they part ways.

Manlin Osgood laughs at the the offer of spoils. "Just be sure you come back," he says with a smile as they shake hands. "Be well, Frederick."

Frederick finds the new grips on the shield to be quite satisfactory, though the roughness of them would discourage him from handling the shield without a glove on that hand. Their toughness is very pleasing, though, and he finds the sunlight and fresh air (blowing to keep the smells of Diamond Lake from him) very refreshing. If the weather holds, the trip to Greyhawk will be a pleasant change from their recent days in the swamp to the south.

21. - Top - End - #501

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Certainly," Lydia replies, following the halfling doctor into his basement laboratory. The furnishings and overall space are cramped enough that she has to stoop slightly, but they suit the diminutive doctor well enough. "I got a good look at the magic that lizardfolk shaman used to cure Amearin, and I have beseeched Heironeous to make its power available to me every day since. If our foes can wield that kind of infestation as a weapon, I think it best to be prepared, don't you? Now, you mentioned something the other day about an oil or unguent that you theorized might be able to disrupt the unholy magics animating undead like the ones we fought below the keep. Have you made any progress on that theory?"

"Thank you. The timing on this has to be perfect. I am going to pour this potion into the sieve above this funnel that will then pour the potion into the next flask below. I need you to cast your magic as the draught is pouring. Theoretically that will keep the worm from wriggling through the holes in the sieve. Are you ready?" As soon as he gets confirmation from Lydia, he begins to pour and Lydia casts her spell. The potion flows through and for the first time, the worm stops in the sieve. Is it dead? Dormant? I'll run more tests.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    They repeat this process as many times as Lydia as able to (comfortable with casting the spell.) There are 9 potions needing to be purged. 8 now.

"Actually, now that I have your help removing these, I believe I will be closer to creating that oil for your weapons. Oddly enough, these creatures are the key to taking them down. I will take a look at that this afternoon."

Show

DarkOne What is the DC to craft the Kyussbane Oil and Kyussbane Paste? So I can get started on that.

22. - Top - End - #502

NecromancerGuy

Show
    @DarkOne What is the DC to craft the Kyussbane Oil and Kyussbane Paste? So I can get started on that.
    I recommend copying the text into your notes on your character sheet. It is also in one of my earlier posts here.

Spoiler: Alchemical Items for Olofire
    Show
    Kyuss Worm Paste - This cup-sized container of bad-smelling greenish-brown paste renders a creature immune to the green worms of a spawn of Kyuss. Any worm from a spawn (or similar worm attacks, such as slow worms) dies instantly if it touches a creature protected by the paste. Applying the paste is a full-round action and lasts 1 hour. Each cup of paste can protect one creature. If the container is thrown at a normal spawn, it transforms the creature into a normal zombie, just as if remove curse had been used.

Faint abjuration: CL 5th: Craft Wondrous Item or Brew Potion, Neutralize Poison: Price 750 GP

Kyussbane Oil - This rank, oily substance gives a weapon the undead-bane property for 1 hour. Any spawn of Kyuss or similar creature struck by the affected weapon takes +1d6 damage in addition to the +2d6 from the bane property.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item or Brew Potion, Summon Monster I; Price 750 GP

Silversheen

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Back at the farm, and freshly arrayed with the enchanted trident and repurposed shield, Frederick finds himself with some free time while the others finish their preparations. He spends a few hours in Olofire's laboratory, trying (and largely failing) to stay out of the way, or at least make himself useful by handing the diminutive fellow requested tools and reagents. Before long, the combination of smells and ignorance leaves him more uncomfortable than curious, and he excuses himself.

With Jan, Frederick finds an unusual situation. The unlikely pair quickly find themselves comfortable just being together. Their feelings of trepidation and loss don't need to be spoken, and their dogged, faithful perseverance is self evident by the upcoming journey. After a time, Frederick begins reading a few of the tomes left by Arkania, in between exercises, of course.

24. - Top - End - #504

"There is much you have not said that makes me curious. Were you a fellow cleric, even of another deity, you would not need scrolls to learn spells. Simple prayer and sufficient strength of character will do. However, you ask for a spell to remove disease as if it could be learned from a scroll, something many great wizards have attempted for hundreds of years unsuccessfully..." Amariss falls silent as she looks at Marzena with piercing eyes. Then she nods. "You are not a wizard, not a sorceress, nor a musician bending reality to the whim of your art.

Wee Jas knows what you are, and she approves. Do not be afraid, you will find no judgement here, only welcome.
    " The priestess then smiles, though the expression looks somewhat foreign to her, as if she doesn't smile very frequently. "The good news is that I believe I can help you. However, I will need several days to prepare the scrolls properly. It is good that you came here to us. I doubt you that St. Cuthbert or even the Invincible Heironeous could easily produce such...hybrid magic. Please come back in three days time. I will have the scroll for you then."
    "Indeed, I am no arcane scholar, nor someone gifted with natural magic, or with such strength of faith that grants magic through prayer. Truth be told, it took me a long time to find out what sort of magic I have, and I'm discovering more about it every day. My resolve is to put this magic, whatever its source is, to battle the dark forces on the rise in this world. I am honored by your trust, and I will be pleased to see you in three day's time."

On the way back from the temple, Marzena asks Frederick, "It is wise of you to equip the best steps possible armor, Sir Frederick. This got me to think. I appreciate that you let me have these magical bracers for protection, but in fact, I think I can use a simple spell to the same effect. So... I might sell the bracers, in fact they're worth a pretty penny. With that gold, each of us could possibly acquire something more useful, in my case, probably more scrolls. Do you know a place in town that may be interested in buying the bracers from me?"

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick considers the question only briefly before nodding somberly. "I have had little reason to work with him directly, but Tidwoad is a local merchant of gems and other such fine things. He has a number of connections in the Free City, and perhaps more availability of funds than is good for one man. If he can't or won't buy it, he certainly would know who might. It could be that the errand will have to wait until we arrive in Greyhawk ourselves."

26. - Top - End - #506

"Thank you. I'll go see him, I think that's worth a shot. The earlier we're equipped, the better."

On the way back from the temple, Marzena goes straight into town, and inquires after Tidwoad, the gnome jeweler. As she arrives in his shop, she introduces herself. "Good afternoon, sir. I am told that you are an expert in gems and jewelry, including the magical sort. If that's indeed the case, then I'm hopeful that I can show you an object of interest."

27. - Top - End - #507

NecromancerGuy

"Miss Janstina! You're back - how have your adventures been? Do you come with jewels to sell, or maybe you wish for me to cut something for you? What can I do for you today?"
    Marzena walks into the shop just as Tidwoad greets Jan. While Jan suffers a brief sneezing fit Marzena approaches the male gnome (after ensuring her friend is alright) and introduces herself to the little man. "Are you a friend of Janstina? I am definitely the only real expert in town, as well as the only one with the contacts to properly move such items," Mr. Tidwoad responds as he comes around the counter top to walk about his shop and pointing out items. "When gemstones or precious metal veins are discovered in the various mines nearby I am the man to see. The business for enchanted items is much rarer, but there are still those who can afford such luxuries. I am also the only business in town with the security to protect such merchandise," The gnome gestures to a large construct by the door that stands unnaturally still. It is clearly not alive, but heavily armored and nearly the height of an ogre (though much less massive). "So, what do you have that you think will interest me? Gem or jewelry or artwork?"

After walking around the showroom he returns to Jan, to whom he offers a cup of water and tissue paper.

Show
    While not being overtly rude, he has not offered anything to Marzena yet. Tidwoad clearly thinks highly of himself and his store. It is also possible that he shows some favoritism towards Jan - or maybe its just another gnome...it's hard to tell.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Oh, MAD mumbling mice!" sputters Jan, finally freed from the fit of flying phlegm that had interrupted her conversation with the fellow gnome, "DRAT the dust in this town." Wiping her eyes on the sleeves of her robes, she turns to greet her companion and the fellow gnome. "Somehow I never noticed it until I left for a bit."

"Anyway! Yes, Miss Marzena has become quite the friend of mine! You see, we, that is, Freddy and Olof and me, and we met this priestess and then a stuffy accountant, well, he went on to Grayhawk, but I'm getting distracted, we had the good fortune to rescue Marzena and some other Heironean soldiers! From lizard folk, in the swamp!" The gnome proceeds to tell the broad strokes of the party's recent exploits to Tidwoad with a glee and energy unusual even for the animated and excitable gnome, and she only occasionally embellishes the story, though Marzena (despite her limited tenure with the group) can't help but note that somehow Jan's own magical prowess and clever trickery somehow seem to turn certain defeat into crushing victory for the band.

"...oh, right, all of which was to say that Marzena here is one of my best friends! And you should see what she can make a deck of cards do! Incredible!" With a satisfied sigh, the gnome slumps against a counter, looking up at her humanoid companion admiringly. "So what was it you needed, Marzena? I was too busy sneezing, but Tidwoad is the gnome who can make it happen!" She grins winsomely at the fellow gnome.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Diplomacy check to vicariously improve Tidwoad's attitude toward Marzena?
    (1d20+12)[17]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

29. - Top - End - #509

Marzena offers a delighted smile in answer to Jan's bubbliness. She's grown to like the little gnome and her cheerful worldview quite a lot over the past few weeks of knowing her. "Yes, my dear! But I wouldn't want to interrupt your own dealings with your friend! He's the one expert I can count on, but there is no need to rush..." She turns to the master jeweler with a knowing smile, "she's quite a spinner of tales, isn't she?", but her tone turns earnest. "You know what, the whole thing is actually true. She saved my life over there, along with Sir Frederick and the others. It was really quite dicey for a while. But the cards were in my favor, it was just like the name "Janstina Silentall" was written on them... So, we won the battle. In the process, we acquired this..." She produces the magical bracers. "What do you think, Master Tidwoad?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If necessary, here's a Diplomacy roll, but that's not her forte: (1d20)[13]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-11-05 at 10:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510

NecromancerGuy

Tidwoad listens to Jan, one gnome to another, with a knowing smile on his face. As she spins her yarn he responds as a good, entertained listener would. He laughs when he should, gasps in shock when he should, and generally looks admiringly at his two guests. When Jan finishes he turns appraisingly to look at Marzena and listens as she offers the magic bracers. He carefully takes the bracers in his hands and takes them behind the counter to inspect them closely. The gnome puts on a pair of spectacles with brightly colored, crystal lenses and looks at the magic item carefully. Turning them in his hands to see it from different angles he takes several minutes to quietly look at the bracers.

"These are rather heavily enchanted..." Tidwoad announces as he finishes, placing them on his wrists gingerly. Once they are securely there he walks up to his golem security guard and speaks in gnomish.

Spoiler: Gnomish
    Show
    "Activate testing protocol, defense against melee attack. Perform attacks, increasing accuracy until contact, minimize damaging force. Confirm directives."

The construct announces, "Testing armor, attack Tidwoad until contact made, avoid injury." Tidwoad nods and takes a passive stance, facing the golem with a relaxed expression on his face. Suddenly the automaton begins to punch at the little gnome, repeating the motion three times quickly before stopping. "Testing complete, defense increased thrice." Then the guard returns to its position near the door and stops moving again.

"Quite an impressive piece of equipment," Tidwoad says as he removes the bracers again and places them on the countertop. "I can offer you the standard market price of four and a half thousand Greyhawk orbs for it. Would you like to purchase anything I have here instead? Or as a trade-in for it?"