New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Hieroneous. All right, I'm grateful for the blessing for sure. Nonetheless, without you and your companions coming to the rescue, his blessing wouldn't have made it here, right? So I reserve the right to thank them, and you. I'm sure Hieroneous won't begrudge me that." A hint of an impish smile passes over her now cleaner lips.
    "I- err, hmph." Lydia frowns slightly , unsure quite what to make of the newcomer's cheeky attitude. She is spared having to respond by Olofire's tugging at her tunic.

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    Before leaving he pulls Lydia down to his level,
    Spoiler: whisper to Lydia
    Show

Do you think we should talk with them about Ssayth? Perhaps he may have a place to come back to now?
    She bends over to whisper back,
    Spoiler: whisper to Olofire
    Show
    That occurred to me, too. I was going to bring it up right before we depart. These lizardfolk have a peculiar sense of honor and I don't want to give offense while we're still... surrounded.

Straightening, she returns her attention to Marzena and the other former captives. "The lizard chieftain had a satchel of human gear - looks like military issue. Yours or your men's, I take it?" She passes over the bag containing Marzena's equipment. "We have some final business to attend to in the tribe's egg chamber. Amearin, would you help, uh..." She blinks in the sudden realization. "I'm sorry, I don't believe I asked your name. As I said I am Lydia Constantine, a humble servant of the Archpaladin. This is my associate Doctor Olofire Lightouch - a surgeon of some repute."
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-06-13 at 06:52 AM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire nods and to Lydia and then nods and smiles to the now healed prisoner. A smile far more "fangy" then she might have first expected for a halfling.

He looks around to everyone present, "Anyone else wish to join us to see this egg? I would like to move quickly if possible before my mutation wears off.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

I'm ready when you all are!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Most pleased to meet you, Lydia, Doctor. Well, 'pleased' is a weird word for this situation. Hugely relieved and grateful, is more like it. I am Marzena, I'm the battlemage assigned to this gods-forsaken outpost. As you can see, having a battlemage isn't always enough to ensure victory, so I sure am happy to meet you! Aand that... Yep, that's my gear. I'm grateful for that, too!" As if remembering something, she feels for the grey scarf she wears over her shoulders - a quick touch that seems to reassure her.

"No question, if you save my life and property, I'll come along and try to help you with that final business of yours. Least I can do. Eggs, you say? To get rid of them all, I guess?" She eyes the strangely toothy halfling with curiosity.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-06-15 at 08:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia helps the other woman to her feet. "If you feel up to it, we would welcome the assistance. Better than another civilian, anyway." She glances over to where Amearin is crouched down by the remnants of the worm swarms, poking at the ashes and assiduously scribbling something in a leather-bound notebook. "No, not to destroy the eggs. As I said the situation here is... complicated." She leans in a bit closer and lowers her voice.

"This tribe was being manipulated by a black dragon, "Ilthane", and another unknown entity called "Kyuss". It was their aggressive influence that led to the raid on the Keep. What's more, they got to the chieftain and corrupted him into some kind of unholy abomination." She shivers slighty, remembering Shukak's gruesome final transformation. "Before we leave, the shaman has asked us to inspect the egg chamber for evidence of any further taint. Apparently Ilthane left a special egg with the tribe for 'safekeeping'..."
    Show

5. - Top - End - #335

Marzena lowers her voice, mirroring Lydia's caution even as she isn't quite sure why there's a need for discretion.

"Right. So it's more complicated than just hunger or pillage. "Kyuss"? "Ilthane?" External forces calling the shots? That can't be good... I've heard of Ilthane, a black dragon sometimes seen in these parts. Kyuss? No idea what or who that is."

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling for Knowledge (add +15 for Arcana, Nature or Planes, +10 for History):
    Kyuss (1d20)[3]
    Ilthane (1d20)[11]

Only basic knowledge unfortunately.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-06-16 at 05:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick grunts at mention of a "gifted" egg. His eyes are hard as he grips the hilt of his enchanted blade. "As many of the Lizardfolk's clutch as can be spared and rescued, we will. This Ilthane's brood, however, will be dealt with swiftly. I've no particular hatred for dragons, but this one has proven its character enough for me."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia nods in acknowledgement of Marzena's recollection of Ilthane. "Yes, that's the one." She turns to glance at Frederick, who has come up to join their conversation. "Indeed, we've already seen evidence of other treacherous "gifts" from this beast, so it's likely the egg will prove no different."

"Ah, I suppose you need a few more introductions. This-" she gestures to the hulking half-orc at their side, "is Frederick, a capable warrior and another follower of Heironeous. Of a sort..." Her face twists a moment before she regains composure and continues.

"You've already met Doctor Olofire and myself. He's not usually so feral - an aftereffect of one of his alchemical concoctions, I believe. Over there you see Amearin, a scribe, and Janstina, a... gnome. Appearances notwithstanding, they have both proven themselves to be somewhat useful in combat. Each possesses a degree of control over the arcane arts, something I don't claim to understand. Perhaps you might."

"You'll get no more 'magical arts' from me until we get out of here!" Amearin complains from across the room. "I'm spent, and I nearly just DIED, remember?! Hurry up and smash that egg or whatever so we can leave!" He crosses his arms in a huff, evidently content to stay behind and monitor the other recovering soldiers.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-06-17 at 05:31 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan gives Lydia and the newly-revived battlemage some space, still uncharacteristically quiet after Amearin's brush with mortality so quick on the heels of an already ferocious battle. As the newcomer engages with the businesslike cleric, however, the gnome takes notice, one lip curling upward in a subtle smile and a furtive narrowing of the eyes hinting at her appreciation for the mage's less-than-serious tone.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "...and Janstina, a... gnome. Appearances notwithstanding, they have both proven themselves to be somewhat useful in combat. Each possesses a degree of control over the arcane arts, something I don't claim to understand. Perhaps you might."
    Jan's amused expression breaks into a broad grin, and she curtseys low to the ground, inclining her head with an air of theatrical overstatement. "Not the best introduction I've ever received, but probably not the worst I can expect!" she says as she rises from the gesture. "'Battlemage', eh? Sounds like you might be more about the BOOMS and POWs, whereas I'm more about the 'huh?'s and 'whoops'es!"

She giggles for a moment before seeming to remember the situation. "Anyway, yeah, let's deal with this dragon's egg already. No offense to our 'hosts'," the gnome turns to favor Hishka with an apologetic smile and a shrug "but to those of us without scales, this is hardly a 'home-y' place, and I'd just as soon have it at my backside." She turns to look expectantly upward at her half-orc friend.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

9. - Top - End - #339

Marzena's piercing, dark blue eyes meet each of her newly introduced saviors' in turn, acknowledging each one with a nod and a quick smile. "My thanks go to each one of you, and I'm in your debt, no question."

Now that she's standing and somewhat cleaned up of blood and grime, her appearance is a fairly pleasant one. A short, lithe woman, with a lean, open face, she wears a practical, yet elegant attire of wide-leg cotton trousers, a sharp high-collar shirt of dark red silk, soft leather vest and matching low boots, complemented with a long grey mohair scarf, large bronze earrings, and a pendant made from a gold dragon scale. Her hair is tied back with a simple leather cord headband, adorned with a single hematite bead. She looks at the group, but eyes the lizard folk with a bit of embarrassment, as if she doesn't know how to react. At last, she elects to say nothing to them, and mostly ignores their presence. She moves toward Amearin instead.

"I'm with you, for sure. Been looking at death pretty close today myself. But I'm in good shape right now, thanks to you, to Hieroneous, and to Lydia's ministrations. I reckon I'm going to go and help with this egg thingy in your stead. You do look like you need a breather."

She turns to the half-orc. "No question, a gift from Ilthane is bad news." Finally, she smiles at the gnome. "Well met, Miss Janstina. Happy to meet a fellow practitioner. My job in this wretched outpost says 'battlemage' on the ledger, but I can't say I specialize in BOOM and POW kind of stuff, precisely. Sure, I can dish out some things that hurt the baddies, but I'm more about divining their... well, their future, and maybe just tweaking it a little bit. I've found it to be helpful in, shall we say, conflict situations. Just... not the most recent one, but I'd like to balance my record." She notices that she has a deck of ivory cards in her hand, and puts it back in the folds of her scarf. "Anyway, I'm ready to go... And I look forward to seeing your 'whoopses' and your 'huhs' in action!"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-06-22 at 07:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick looks on sternly, his breaths astonishingly level considering the degree of his near-immediate physical exertion. He begins to smirk at Lydia's description of him as a capable warrior, and his mouth splits open into an almost totally feral grin at the last comment. Fully aware of the impact his spiked armor and shield can have on the casual observer, he shrugs pointedly to reveal a solid, heavy silver symbol of Heironeous, usually hanging against his bare skin beneath the burdensome plate. He keeps his peace while Lydia lists the rest of their group and Amearin makes his own declaration of intention.

The hulking figure bows deeply to Amearin. "You have my word, as much good as it will do." Frederick's face is visibly pained in the aftermath of his utter inability to render aid directly. It's quite obvious that he considers the man's ill fortune at least partially his fault, but for the moment he doesn't address it.

Finally, turning to Marzena, the smile offered is much more subdued- masking all but the two most protruding tusks completely. Even so, the presentation is almost polite, if not quite normal. He nods, a formal-ish acknowledgment. "Debts are a matter to be repaid. You are welcome for the aid, and have no need to keep a tally." The uncontrolled grin appears once more at her eager attitude, and he nudges Olofire on the shoulder- nearly sending the smaller man to the floor on accident. "I like her!"

Without more fanfare, he draws his gleaming blade once more. "Let's see just how bad this news is," he rumbles, stomping off in the direction indicated by Hishka.

11. - Top - End - #341

NecromancerGuy

Please ensure you have finished leveling and preparing for further encounters before posting. If you are ready, however, here is what happens next...

Once the party is ready to visit the egg chamber, Hishka lead them down a tunnel of roots and earth situated between its chamber and that of the late king. "Our kind sssswim quite well, compared to you warmbloodssss, sssso we have hidden our egg chamber on the other sssside of a ssssubmerged tunnel. On the other sssside you will be confronted with sssseveral kobold guardianssss that Ilthane provided. Given what I just ssssaw, you sssshould be careful - they are either worm sssswarmssss already or likely to become sssswarmssss upon their deathssss.

Oh, and beware the ssssnare sssspellssss in the water - they are there to sssslow down enemy sssswimmerssss. You can avoid them by looking for the loopssss of leather cord tied to the rootssss in the water. I will go with you - would you like me to go firsssst or lasssst?
    "

The tunnel down which Hishka leads the party slopes downward into an area of shallow water extending westward. The ceiling declines as well, and after about 40 feet the tunnel becomes completely submerged. It winds about 100 ft westward before emerging into a tunnel above the water again.

Swim checks are at DC 10. The area is completely dark without a source of light, though the water is clear and clean. You will also need to hold your breath. Avoiding the snares require DC 15 Perception checks to find the leather cords. The snare spells are configured to entangle anyone they catch.

12. - Top - End - #342

"Warmbloods will have trouble navigating this. No kidding", Marzena says. "That's quite a distance without taking a breath. Plus, traps on the way. Well, I have this, at least, that should still work under water, but it fixes just a small part of the problem." She takes a small object from her pouch, a round, smooth pebble. She tosses it in the air, and it begins to fly in circles around her, emitting a brilliant light.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marzena takes out her ioun torch, so there's light at least, but I think the many Swim checks are not the greatest odds for her with just a +3.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-06-23 at 05:40 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia casts a light orison upon her own longspear to add to the illumination, and frowns down at the murky water. If the lizardmen wanted to betray us, no better place to do it... Aloud she responds, "I think it best if you were to go first, Hishka. You know where the snares are - perhaps you can help us avoid them."

She turns to briefly confer with the others. "My magic is quite spent after battling Shukak. I can manage one or two curative spells, but no more - and nothing to help us with this. I'm not the strongest swimmer but I think I can manage. And I know the kind of snare Hishka means, I think - I should be able to recognize them. What of the rest of you? Would it be safer for Frederick to carry the little ones across?"

Spoiler: Skills question
    Show
    Is taking 10 a thing that could be done here, or do the penalties for failure preclude that?

Lydia's at a +2 Swim and +13 Perception, so at least she'll be good at spotting the snares.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-06-23 at 07:50 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344

"Right... Not easy... But, I have this hunch now... We're just going to get lucky on this one. Let me check for a minute, what do the cards have to say about this?"

Marzena's hand plunges into the folds of her long scarf, and extracts a stack of cards. They're beautifully carved, slim slices of ivory, perfectly square in shape, decorated with a variety of figures - a classic Harrow deck. She locks eyes with Lydia as she shuffles the cards with impressive dexterity and speed, then flips the top card over - all of this, using only her left hand. "The Paladin. No surprise here, right? That card says you won't back down on this, not that there was doubt in anybody's mind." She giggles. Turning to Janstina, she shuffles again, this time extracting... "The Cricket, for quick and successful travel, just what we need... Excellent. Let me continue with you, Sir Frederick..." She giggles a little louder, as she looks at Frederick and takes out another card. "Well, of course. The Trumpet, diving right into the heart of danger, is the right one for you!" Her mirth continues, and she addresses the halfling next. "What shall we see for the good doctor... Yes! The Locksmith! You're the one with the tools to get us into this place, no question..." Her giggles turn to outright, joyous laughter. She looks at Hishka, and her hesitation doesn't last long. "Of course you don't need luck to swim over, but who knows, maybe later? Let's see... The Forge, strength through diversity. I had my doubts, but the cards don't lie: Your help will matter..." She pauses, only a brief second before her giggles return. "How about me now... Here! The Joke! Maybe it's on me indeed, but a good sign still!"

Still laughing, she adds, "Now, I can promise this, we're all in luck for a moment... At least, as long as I find it funny and we all enjoy this! Let's go!" Her bursts of laughter echo through the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marzena puts her Fortune hex on everyone in turn, using Cackle throughout. As long as she laughs (a move action every round), the effect of Fortune continues to apply every round to all those within 30ft of her. This means she can only take one move action to swim: If someone is strong enough to drag her along, maybe we could do this faster?

Fortune (Su)
    Effect: The witch can grant a creature within 30 feet a bit of good luck for 1 round. The target can call upon this good luck once per round, allowing him to reroll any ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or skill check, taking the better result. He must decide to use this ability before the first roll is made. At 8th level and 16th level, the duration of this hex is extended by 1 round. Once a creature has benefited from the fortune hex, it cannot benefit from it again for 24 hours.

Cackle (Su)
    Effect: A witch can cackle madly as a move action. Any creature that is within 30 feet that is under the effects of an agony hex, charm hex, evil eye hex, fortune hex, or misfortune hex caused by the witch has the duration of that hex extended by 1 round.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-06-23 at 08:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan looks distinctly nonplussed at Marzena's description of her own battle tactics, but she nods and smiles congenially before turning her attention to Hishka's description of the submerged tunnel. Readying her (almost comically tiny) dagger, she murmurs and gestures toward it, and it begins to glow as a torch. "You want to shed some light with your scalpels, Olof?" she says, offering to do the same for the halfling.

"Now, uh... let's just say that I haven't won any swimming contests lately. Maybe I can, err, hang onto someone with one hand?" the gnome looks hopefully up at Frederick, and gives a more questioning gesture toward Lydia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "Right... Not easy... But, I have this hunch now... We're just going to get lucky on this one. Let me check for a minute, what do the cards have to say about this?"
    Jan turns to watch the 'battlemage' with curiosity, which melts into confusion as she begins to manipulate the Harrow deck... but something in the newcomer's giggles seems to buoy the gnome's mood, and she begins to grin broadly, contributing her own bursts of laughter here and there. "I have no idea what's so funny," she wheezes out between peals, "but I DO feel better, for some reason." As her laughter subsides, however, and the battlemage's inexplicably continues, her eyebrow rises in confusion once more.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick's expression sours rapidly at the discussion of swimming. He stares at the shallow water, taking deliberate, slow, and measured breaths. "Hishka, this is very important: how deep is the tunnel? I cannot hope to swim with my armor, and don't want to leave it behind. Also, once we're done in there, do we have to swim back out?"

Frederick listens carefully, nodding slowly at their unusual guide's quick explanation. "Then I will go right behind you, Hishka." He turns to his allies. "I suggest at least using a rope as handholds to guide us, if not tying it to ourselves." The potential difficulties and dangers are obvious, but nonetheless, Frederick begins to solemnly tie a long length of rope around his waist. Moving to Olofire second, he makes sure that the ropes do not impede the smaller man's arms. After tying the knot, he places a huge gauntleted hand on the Halfing's shoulder, and kneels to meet his gaze. "If I get stuck, you cut free, understand?"

Marzena's chortles suddenly pierce the paladin's thoughts, and he finds himself almost compelled to focus on her as she draws a card for him. His expression is grim, forming an almost carnival-mirror-esque reflection of the rescued mage's apparent humor. The Half-Orc nods stoically, in acknowledgement of his fortune.

Frederick waits patiently for the rest of the party to secure themselves and turns back to the pool. "Whatever you do, don't stop. Let's go, Hishka."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I... The Paladin? But that's-... I'm not..." Lydia turns a bewildered glance to Frederick before regaining composure, a slight flush in her cheeks. "But you're right about not backing down. If this... divination will help us complete the task, so be it."

Lydia nods in approval as Frederick secures the rope to the smaller party members. "I'll be right behind you, Frederick. My eyes are keen - maybe I can keep you from stumbling into a snare."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Swim (using Fortune hex to take the better):
    (1d20+2)[3]
    (1d20+2)[18]

Perception to spot snares:
    (1d20+13)[29]
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348

Marzena, still giggling softly, ties Frederick's rope around her waist, but in such a manner that she can detach herself easily, and takes a place at the back of the group. Once underwater, her companions can still hear, from time to time, the sound of her belly laugh, eerily deformed by the water environment.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I understand this right, using a move action with a successful Swim check makes her move 1/4 of her speed, or 7.5ft. So, she needs 14 successful checks (20 checks if we round it down to the nearest 5ft). She can't make more than one per round, which also means everyone needs to adjust their speed to hers, or lose the benefit of Fortune.

Below, I'll roll Swim checks until 14 are passed. I assume I don't need to roll Perception since she just follows the exact same path others have gone through ahead of her.

Swim (best of 2 rolls)

#1 (1d20+3)[16], (1d20+3)[19]
    #2 (1d20+3)[14], (1d20+3)[8]
    #3 (1d20+3)[6], (1d20+3)[8]
    #4 (1d20+3)[22], (1d20+3)[6]
    #5 (1d20+3)[18], (1d20+3)[23]
    #6 (1d20+3)[4], (1d20+3)[4]
    #7 (1d20+3)[4], (1d20+3)[11]
    #8 (1d20+3)[11], (1d20+3)[15]
    #9 (1d20+3)[12], (1d20+3)[17]
    #10 (1d20+3)[21], (1d20+3)[15]
    #11 (1d20+3)[12], (1d20+3)[17]
    #12 (1d20+3)[6], (1d20+3)[19]
    #13 (1d20+3)[19], (1d20+3)[22]
    #14 (1d20+3)[11], (1d20+3)[18]
    #15 (1d20+3)[23], (1d20+3)[14]
    #16 (1d20+3)[7], (1d20+3)[16]
    #17 (1d20+3)[10], (1d20+3)[17]
    #18 (1d20+3)[20], (1d20+3)[13]
    #19 (1d20+3)[22], (1d20+3)[19]
    #20 (1d20+3)[15], (1d20+3)[16]
    #21 (1d20+3)[18], (1d20+3)[16]
    #22 (1d20+3)[17], (1d20+3)[19]
    #23 (1d20+3)[23], (1d20+3)[5]
    #24 (1d20+3)[10], (1d20+3)[11]

She can keep this up for 24 rounds before she gets in real trouble.

EDIT checks 3 and 6 are failed, the rest succeeds. So, she's through in 16 rounds if my assumptions are correct.

Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-06-25 at 02:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The little doctor raises an eyebrow at this "war mage" and her unusual tactics but he cannot deny the rising feeling within him as they loosely tie the ropes around each other.

In response to Jan, "Actually if you wouldn't mind casting your spell on these I would appreciate it. I don't hope we will need the scalpels under the water there.

Once everyone is set he takes a few deep breaths before plunging his head under the surface following the rest of the team!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

I'll let Jan put the light spell on my lockpicking tools and have then more readily available if needed.

Perception to look for traps (1d20+11)[20]

I'm gonna roll all the swim checks now like Marzena, in OOC. If we are wanting to stay by her side then I believe she said it was 14 checks needed. I'll copy paste and notate which are successes and which are failures.

Round 1 (1d20+4)[14] (1d20+4)[15] SUCCESS
    Round 2 (1d20+4)[23] (1d20+4)[23] SUCCESS
    Round 3 (1d20+4)[24] (1d20+4)[7] SUCCESS
    Round 4 (1d20+4)[6] (1d20+4)[15] SUCCESS
    Round 5 (1d20+4)[23] (1d20+4)[6] SUCCESS
    Round 6 (1d20+4)[15] (1d20+4)[22] SUCCESS
    Round 7 (1d20+4)[9] (1d20+4)[23] SUCCESS
    Round 8 (1d20+4)[12] (1d20+4)[6] SUCCESS
    Round 9 (1d20+4)[6] (1d20+4)[20] SUCCESS
    Round 10 (1d20+4)[24] (1d20+4)[23] SUCCESS
    Round 11 (1d20+4)[15] (1d20+4)[13] SUCCESS
    Round 12 (1d20+4)[24] (1d20+4)[8] SUCCESS
    Round 13 (1d20+4)[21] (1d20+4)[19] SUCCESS
    Round 14 (1d20+4)[10] (1d20+4)[17] SUCCESS
    Round 15 (1d20+4)[7] (1d20+4)[14] SUCCESS
    Round 16 (1d20+4)[10] (1d20+4)[16] SUCCESS
    Round 17 (1d20+4)[24] (1d20+4)[8] SUCCESS
    Round 18 (1d20+4)[15] (1d20+4)[24] SUCCESS
    Round 19 (1d20+4)[11] (1d20+4)[16] SUCCESS
    Round 20 (1d20+4)[15] (1d20+4)[10] SUCCESS
    Round 21 (1d20+4)[17] (1d20+4)[5] SUCCESS
    Round 22 (1d20+4)[7] (1d20+4)[21] SUCCESS
    Round 23 (1d20+4)[23] (1d20+4)[15] SUCCESS
    Round 24 (1d20+4)[22] (1d20+4)[5] SUCCESS

If I still haven't made it across by the end of this string of rolls I start to drown and need to roll more.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 6, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 29, Touch 17, Flat-footed 23, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 15, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +9 (not transformed) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +10 (1d4+6, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Shield, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +4 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 23, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 9
    Condition Mutated for another 27:36
    Barkskin 28:06
    Shield 2:48
    Nauseated 1 more round
    Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 0/1
    Extracts prepared: CLW 1/1, Expeditious Retreat 1/1, Shield 1/2
    Panache 3/3

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan casts a quick spell, causing a few illusory duplicates to spring into existence around her before grabbing onto the rope and looping it about one tiny hand. Gritting her teeth, she shuffles apprehensively toward the water. Taking a deep breath in a fashion that becomes almost comical, she trudges into the water, hoping for the best...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Mirror Image for: (1d4+2)[6] duplicates.

28 rounds of no Con checks to move 5 ft. Hoping it doesn't take longer...
    #1: (1d20)[18] or (1d20)[19] vs DC 10
    #2: (1d20)[2] or (1d20)[3] vs DC 10
    #3: (1d20)[16] or (1d20)[6] vs DC 10
    #4: (1d20)[18] or (1d20)[14] vs DC 10
    #5: (1d20)[20] or (1d20)[4] vs DC 10
    #6: (1d20)[15] or (1d20)[14] vs DC 10
    #7: (1d20)[3] or (1d20)[16] vs DC 10
    #8: (1d20)[12] or (1d20)[19] vs DC 10
    #9: (1d20)[18] or (1d20)[1] vs DC 10
    #10: (1d20)[20] or (1d20)[2] vs DC 10
    #11: (1d20)[4] or (1d20)[8] vs DC 10
    #12: (1d20)[9] or (1d20)[14] vs DC 10
    #13: (1d20)[18] or (1d20)[19] vs DC 10
    #14: (1d20)[8] or (1d20)[8] vs DC 10
    #15: (1d20)[7] or (1d20)[2] vs DC 10
    #16: (1d20)[6] or (1d20)[4] vs DC 10
    #17: (1d20)[1] or (1d20)[8] vs DC 10
    #18: (1d20)[7] or (1d20)[17] vs DC 10
    #19: (1d20)[13] or (1d20)[4] vs DC 10
    #20: (1d20)[10] or (1d20)[12] vs DC 10
    #21: (1d20)[7] or (1d20)[4] vs DC 10
    #22: (1d20)[5] or (1d20)[10] vs DC 10
    #23: (1d20)[20] or (1d20)[17] vs DC 10
    #24: (1d20)[8] or (1d20)[18] vs DC 10
    #25: (1d20)[18] or (1d20)[8] vs DC 10
    #26: (1d20)[19] or (1d20)[1] vs DC 10
    #27: (1d20)[16] or (1d20)[8] vs DC 10
    #28: (1d20)[15] or (1d20)[13] vs DC 10

5 Perception checks (hopefully aided by leadership from Hishka??). If possible, Jan will reroll THESE instead of swim checks on their respective rounds:

(1d20+3)[9] or (1d20+3)[6]
    (1d20+3)[4] or (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d20+3)[8] or (1d20+3)[10]
    (1d20+3)[19] or (1d20+3)[8]
    (1d20+3)[17] or (1d20+3)[6]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 6, Init 4, HP 21/45, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 12, Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 5, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 23
    Condition Mage armor: +4 AC, 1 hr
    Mirror image: 6 images, 5 minutes dur.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-06-26 at 01:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

At Hishka's heels, Frederick trudges into the murky liquid. With one final breath, he closes his eyes and plunges his head beneath the surface. Straining his eyes against the silt kicked up by his passage, Frederick suppresses a grumble and a slow trickle of bubbles begins to creep from the tusk protruding from the left corner of his mouth. He stomps through the tunnel, keeping his eyes on Hishka, and trying to watch for both the Lizardfolk's guidance and any hint of treachery.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, Frederick is not making any attempt to swim- he's got like a -5 mod. Instead, I'll just roll perception, I guess?

(1d20-1)[8] (1d20-1)[16] perception 1 Best of two: 16 (hopefully modified substantially by Hishka's guidance and/or darkvision?
    (1d20-1)[18] (1d20-1)[8] perception 2 Best of two: 18
    (1d20-1)[14] (1d20-1)[2] perception 3 Best of two: 14
    (1d20-1)[19] (1d20-1)[2] perception 4 Best of two: 19
    (1d20-1)[0] _(1d20-1)[9] perception 5 Best of two: 9

If entangled and unable to move, Frederick will interrupt movement attempts to cut the entangling loop:
    (1d20+8)[16] dagger "attack" (including underwater penalty)
    (1d4+4)[7] damage

22. - Top - End - #352

NecromancerGuy

Hishka watches the party make their preparations silently, but as they are about to enter the water it says, "Perhapssss I have underesssstimated thissss danger for you. I will do what I can to help make thissss quick and ssssafe. Thank you for trussssting me - you will not regret it." The shaman then takes a breath - apparently no deeper than normal - and plunges underneath the water. A gentle but insistent tug on the rope can be felt, and the water comes rushing up to each of the party members in turn.

The light sources help, but the muted sounds (especially the uncanny snickering of Marzena under the water), dark shadows, and unfamiliar place quickly instill an alien sense of isolation that becomes quite frightening. Frederick's steady steps keep everyone moving forward, but as everyone begins to feel the pressure on their lungs the terror grows. Hishka, who is not swimming directly ahead, but instead swimming up and down the line, directing the party away from snares and helping any members struggling, makes some motions with its hands, indicating that they have made it over halfway and that breathable air is now closer ahead than behind, but that is little relief to the mounting panic.

Then, moments before each of you feel you would have lost control and had to breath, risking drowning, the sound of Frederick's head breaking the surface of the water can be heard. Everyone rushes forward, breathing deeply as water drips out of hair and into faces. "Well done. We are here," says the hermaphroditic shaman, quietly. "Catch your breath, but be ready for anything. Who knowssss what Sssshukak and Ilthane have hidden here..."

In the dim light of cantrips the egg chamber starts to come into view. A wall of stacked rocks makes up the southwest part of the first half of the chamber. Beyond the northwest end of the room is another with water on the floor.

A reptilian voice barks out in Draconic, challenging Hishka and the party as they enter. The voice echoes strangely in the chamber, masking the speaker's position somewhat.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "Stop! Shaman, why have you brought these warm-bloods here? Have you betrayed Ilthane and Shukak? Explain yourself!"

Spoiler: Perception DC 15, requires Darkvision, Low Light Vision, or passing by more at least +5
    Show
    You can see a jet black kobold, identical in appearance to those that fought with Shukak, hidden among the rocks.

Spoiler: If you passed the first check with at least a 30 or a 35 without special vision
    Show
    You can see an additional three kobolds hidden about the chamber.

"I cannot ssssee how many there are...what sssshall I tell them?" asks the shaman...

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Uh... would they believe that you brought us to be a snack?" Jan whispers to their guide, chuckling softly to herself. Peering into the darkness, she shakes her head, seemingly unable to locate the speaker or other hidden foes.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia hears the draconic voice but cannot make its source beyond the dim glow of her light orison, a most unnerving effect. "Stall for time..." she mutters to Hishka, straining to see into the depths of the chamber. "Ask them if the eggs are safe."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire can barely make out the black scales of a kobold, similar to the ones they fought with in Shukak's throne room, but he cannot understand it's words or if there are anymore than just the one. He looks around the room trying to see anything more.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

I rolled a 21 in OOC thread. Though Olofire doesn't speak draconic he's not sure what is happening other than one a kobold speaking.

26. - Top - End - #356

In between two bursts of giggling, Marzena puts two fingers on her lips, and her whisper can be heard by her freshly adopted comrades. "One single black kobold. Follower of Ilthane. I'm ready for battle."

Spoiler
    Show
    Marzena understands Draconic, and passed the perception check with her low-light vision. She uses a message cantrip to talk clearly to the group. DC25 Perception for someone else to overhear what she says.

She continues cackling, so the Fortune hex remains in effect.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick grunts, somehow conveying both acknowledgment of Marzena's information and disapproval at her apparent methods. "Last time, it burst into a swarm. Are you able to control swarms, Marzena?"

28. - Top - End - #358

"I have a couple of tricks that could help if that happens", Marzena replies. "But I can speak the language. Wanna me give peace a chance? No guarantees it will help, mind ya. I'm a battle mage, not a charmer mage or enchanting mage, remember?"

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick unties the rope, letting it fall to the floor, and moves to draw his blade. "I expect little, but you're welcome to try."

30. - Top - End - #360

"Yessir." Marzena clears her throat, and hesitates briefly, before she addresses the kobold in its language.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "Listen... One, Shukak is dead. Two, Ilthane is not here. Three, I can see you. You don't stand a chance. Surrender, if you want to live to see the next morning."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate (1d20)[6]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-07-05 at 05:19 PM.