New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    "Now, I've come out here for the day just like you asked old man. Tell me about Khellek and the Seekers, or I'm just going to walk away!"
    "Khellek? The arcanist from Greyhawk? Well, like any smart wizard he and I met his first night in town - he is part of a trio of adventurers who visited several weeks back. They had heard that there might be treasures in one of the cairns in these hills, but they had the wrong one in mind.

These three,
    " he gestures to Frederick, Olofire, and Jan, "went with a traveling cleric and...a late apprentice of mine and explored the Whispering Cairn..."

Unless Amearin redirects him, the sage spends some time off-topic, telling of the first adventure in the campaign. Even without redirection, Allustan eventually returns to the topic of Khellek, though by now they are well out of town...

"Now...Khellek stayed around after the Whispering Cairn was mostly explored, but he had begun spending his time playing dragonchess - and beating basically everyone in town - in the establishment known as Lazare's House. However, he left shortly before the recent exposure of Ragnolin Dourstone and Balabar Smenk, again by the same adventurers who accompany us today..."

Similarly, Allustan will talk about the second adventure unless/until reminded of the original question.

"Now, the Seekers are an odd bunch. Many of them are perfectly reputable adventurers, but they lack some of the strictness in their bylaws that encourage respectful and honorable exploration. As such, many of them - including, in my opinion, Khellek - tend to be selfish and vain. We have no chapterhouse in Diamond Lake, so when it looked like he had earned all the winnings he could from dragonchess Khellek left with his companions, taking this road towards the Free City. Unless he stopped at Blackwall Keep for several days we won't see him there. I believe he has been gone about a week now. However, we might learn of his plans when we arrive at the Keep, assuming you wish to continue with us. If you hurry you could make it back to Diamond Lake tonight, but it will be a brisk walk..."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "What are you doing here?" she blurts out. "We're not heading back to Greyhawk, for some time anyway, and I doubt there'll be very many ledgers needing balancing on the road. Shouldn't you be in one of the mining offices, where it's safe?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    My lady, I have asked him to join us. It has been some time since we have spoken, and I wish to catch up. However our mission does not allow time to dally. I hope his boyish charms are not too much of a distraction to your duties.
    Jan snorts at Olofire's response. "What's the matter, is the road not wide enough for all of us together?" She chuckles under her breath, but gives the stodgy cleric a sidelong, appraising glance.

Jan eyes the halfling farmers' produce with unease, and their ragged garb with obvious sympathy. She opens her mouth to speak, but seems to think better of it.

As the party settles into the unusually weathered house, Jan's eyes light up with Allustan's storytelling and accompanying illustration; after only a few minutes of storytelling, she raises one eyebrow and grins mischievously before whispering a few words and gesturing with one hand... suddenly the images depicting these ancient heroes, their steeds and companions, and the monsters and elementals they faced seem to speak, roar and otherwise make the expected sounds of their various actions! At times, however, the gnome's humor gets the better of her; sword swings make sounds like children's mimicry, dire wolves begin to yip like puppies. After a few stern looks from the wizened mage, however, the gnome resumes a more... dramatic tone to her sound effects.

As morning breaks, Jan is padding toward the door behind Frederick, and the half-orc's sudden stop provokes her curiosity. Leaning past the paladin's thick leg, the gnome yelps at the disgusting sight. "Good grief, there must be hundreds of them! Thousands!" With a shuddering sigh of disgust, she races back into the house to find their cleric companion. "C'mon, you've got to see the worms! Then you'll see that we're not playing around with this stuff!!" The tiny gnome begins to pull at Lydia's wrist as though she would physically move the much larger human woman to the threshold herself.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2019-11-26 at 08:52 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    As the party settles into the unusually weathered house, Jan's eyes light up with Allustan's storytelling and accompanying illustration; after only a few minutes of storytelling, she raises one eyebrow and grins mischievously before whispering a few words and gesturing with one hand... suddenly the images depicting these ancient heroes, their steeds and companions, and the monsters and elementals they faced seem to speak, roar and otherwise make the expected sounds of their various actions! At times, however, the gnome's humor gets the better of her; sword swings make sounds like children's mimicry, dire wolves begin to yip like puppies. After a few stern looks from the wizened mage, however, the gnome resumes a more... dramatic tone to her sound effects.
    Lydia finds Jan's theatrics more interesting than Allustan's tale as she tries to make sense of her new traveling companions. That one... played an important role in defeating the Ebon Triad, according to Allustan, so she's seen the horrors of battle. But still, just a child in mind and spirit! And then there is the physician, and the accountant, and the storyteller... what a rag-tag bunch to be journeying with She makes an extra supplication to Heironeous that evening for the protection of her new companions, not yet convinced of their abilities to protect themselves...

As morning breaks, Jan is padding toward the door behind Frederick, and the half-orc's sudden stop provokes her curiosity. Leaning past the paladin's thick leg, the gnome yelps at the disgusting sight. "Good grief, there must be hundreds of them! Thousands!" With a shuddering sigh of disgust, she races back into the house to find their cleric companion. "C'mon, you've got to see the worms! Then you'll see that we're not playing around with this stuff!!" The tiny gnome begins to pull at Lydia's wrist as though she would physically move the much larger human woman to the threshold herself.
    "What is it? Can't you see I'm in the middle of something? What do you-" Lydia stops cold in the threshold at the sight of the worms, some of the color receding from her face. She looks sharply down at the diminutive figure clutching her wrist. "If this is another one of your magic tricks, I warn you that I'm in no mood for such games!" On receiving assurance that the worms are real, though, she starts looking for a more rational explanation. "An infestation would explain the poor crops of those farmers yesterday. Hardly the end of the world, though - likely nothing than a priestess of Merikka couldn't fix by consecrating a few acres here and there. You've seen this before, then?" she asks Jan.

At the prospect of the day's hard, sweaty march she inquires to Allustan, "How much futher to this keep? It's going to be hard going if it stays as warm as this. Best to move out early and rest through the midday heat, I think."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick enjoys himself while Allustan and Jan regale the newcomers with their past exploits. He picks a spot near the door, after hauling all of their weather-sensitive belongings inside, refilling Leroy's feed bag, and gently tethering him to a post on the ramshackle front porch. Just before he lays down for the night, he steps outside and makes one last lap of the house, searching for anything untoward. Content that they haven't been watched, he settles in to wait for second watch.

The sudden shower hits with such force that the generally heavy sleeper is roused quickly. He hurries to the front porch, to find Leroy has already taken shelter as best he can under the eaves of the house. Trusting his mount's training, Frederick leads him inside, and gets him to lay down in the corner behind him. It's not as comfortable as standing for Leroy, but less likely to get someone hurt if lighting and thunder get involved.

Fortunately, as day breaks, Leroy is still snoozing. Frederick promptly leads him outside, to relieve himself nearby, only to stop suddenly at the doorway. "Hmph," he grunts, surveying the writhing masses all over the yard. "It's a miracle those farmers had anything to sell at all, if this is a regular occurrence." Grimacing, he steps over the threshold, stoically ignoring the squelches beneath his feet as he pads across the yard. He glances over his shoulder at Jan and Lydia's interaction, before turning his attention to the morning's business with Leroy

When the worms wriggle back into the depths- perhaps to escape the sun? he begins going through his forms in the cool early-morning air. He's just finishing when the rest of his companions begin to stir, so he spends a few minutes returning their food and other belongings to the cart before hitching Leroy.
    "Best to move out early and rest through the midday heat, I think."
    Frederick nods, glancing back at Olofire, Amearin, and Allustan, as the scholarly trio begins to emerge.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire wakes from his rest, and decides to practice some of his alchemy as he did not the day before. While he absentmindedly brews a few simple extracts, he sets the familiar blue and green swirling flask in front of him and ponders how he can continue to improve it.

But as he hears the now familiar whinny from Leroy, he packs his things and gets ready to head out.
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2019-11-28 at 10:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Now, the Seekers are an odd bunch. Many of them are perfectly reputable adventurers, but they lack some of the strictness in their bylaws that encourage respectful and honorable exploration. As such, many of them - including, in my opinion, Khellek - tend to be selfish and vain. We have no chapterhouse in Diamond Lake, so when it looked like he had earned all the winnings he could from dragonchess Khellek left with his companions, taking this road towards the Free City. Unless he stopped at Blackwall Keep for several days we won't see him there. I believe he has been gone about a week now. However, we might learn of his plans when we arrive at the Keep, assuming you wish to continue with us. If you hurry you could make it back to Diamond Lake tonight, but it will be a brisk walk..."
    Amearin listens to the old man intently. From the sounds of it, he wasn't close to finding the man whose name had ruined his life, but...he was on the right path. He didn't like that he felt tricked into some mission to save the world when all he was really trying to do is get back to his cozy somewhat uneventful life back home. Amearin decides silently to himself to stay with the group until Blackwall Keep before further pursuing Khellek back to the free city.

In the meantime, Amearin kept to himself. This group of people seemed strange and dangerous. He'd seen adventurers before, back in Greyhawk. But always from a distance. And he'd certainly never talked to them. Even his old friend Olofire seemed to have grown an edge around him. Amearin couldn't quite put his finger on it, but it certainly seemed like Olofire had taken one too many looks into the Abyss since they had last parted ways.

Jan tipped her hand as a moderately talented sorcerer when she started using illusions. What else she could do remained to be seen. It wasn't that unusual for a gnome to be making illusions. Frederick just looked big...and mean. Though, apparently Heironious was allowing orcs in their ranks? Seemed odd, but the cleric wasn't too phased by it. Though, like him, she seemed to have doubts about the apocalyptic nature of these events.

Amearin hated bad weather. It would ruin his already dirty clothes. So, when the storm came up, the elf decided it would be best to stay inside and let the rest of them handle whatever it was they needed to handle. By doing so, he apparently had missed these green worms that they were talking about. He wasn't disappointed. He did, however, stow himself off to the side to prep his spells for the day. It had been a while, so it took some time. But, once complete, he had some tricks up his sleeve if any of this turned out to be real.

When Lydia suggested moving to avoid the heat of the day, he nearly hugged her. "What a fantastic idea! Let's get going then, shall we?"
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Hardly the end of the world, though - likely nothing than a priestess of Merikka couldn't fix by consecrating a few acres here and there. You've seen this before, then?"
    Jan tilts her head to look askance at the cleric. "Well, not this exact manifestation, but the other worms we've seen..." the gnome shudders in revulsion at the memory before continuing, "...and you've seen the state of this house! Something is leeching the life out of the very ground, and this place must just have it worse than some others. Just wait, you'll see..." she states confidently before padding off to ogle the squirming creatures.

"What a fantastic idea! Let's get going then, shall we?"
    Jan pipes up, "Well, looks like the worms- at least the ones that Frederick didn't squish- have wriggled off elsewhere, so at least we won't have to get them on our shoes on the way out!" With a theatrical retching sound, the gnome skips out toward the cart where Frederick is finishing his preparations. "Lead on, noble sir knight!" She grins winsomely up at Frederick before scrambling up into the back of the cart.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2019-11-28 at 10:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

NecromancerGuy

The troupe begins traveling, the humidity and heat doing nothing to lift their spirits. The muddy road and the heat slow things down, and as the sun passes its midpoint overhead and the fog begins to clear Allustan has the party stop, briefly, for lunch. Everyone eats quickly to try and return to the road.

About an hour later the party crosses a small stream at a stone bridge. Several men sit on the rock, their fishing lines dangling in the water. As the party approaches they grunt noncommittally at the party, their lethargy seeming to get the better of them. As he passes Allustan asks one of the men, "How are the fish today? Getting any bites?"

The fisherman responds, "No sir - we can't seem to get any good bait lately. The usual grubs just aren't cutting it..."

To which another interrupts, "The worms are right out! Every time I put one of those green ones on my hook I catch a fish that's more dead than alive! Nothing worth eating, that's for sure..."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If the party wishes to RP more they can. Otherwise this is just a random encounter, focusing on the blight of the land and threat of worms as you get closer to the swamp.

Continuing along the road, the party takes note of the earthy, loamy smell of the marshland growing...along with the (unexpected) smell of fire and ash. Flies, including the biting kind, become more common until finally the party sees that a plume of smoke can be seen rising from a point ahead of them. "That looks like it is coming from Blackwall Keep - hurry!" Allustan says fearfully as they get closer. Then the wind shifts - the acrid smell of blood in the air makes it clear that a battle has been raging before them.

The terrain is hilly still, so it might be possible to sneak closer without alerting the attackers to the party's presence. The keep is to the south, and prior discussions with Allustan suggests it is a small site built of black stone with a single ground floor (largely hidden by the hill upon which it is built) and a tower. The keep also maintains a stockaded horse corral near the road partially embedded in the false hill.

How do you proceed?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

At the scent of blood, Lydia holds up a hand to halt the wagon and the others a few hills before the keep comes plainly into view, shhh-ing the others intently. "Something's not right! Frederick, it might be time to put that armor back on. We need intel on what we're walking into - is anyone here good at moving stealthily who can scout ahead? Or," she turns to consider Allustan and then Jan, "does anyone have any magical means of seeing what lies ahead?" As she speaks she adjusts the straps on her own armor and belongings, ensuring the fit is tight and that her pack won't encumber a weapon thrust.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2019-11-29 at 06:08 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The worms are right out! Every time I put one of those green ones on my hook I catch a fish that's more dead than alive! Nothing worth eating, that's for sure..."
    Jan gives Lydia a look pregnant with meaning, but is uncharacteristically silent.

"Is anyone here good at moving stealthily who can scout ahead? Or does anyone have any magical means of seeing what lies ahead?"
    Jan sniffs the air suspiciously, but turns to Olofire. "It's a bit early in the day to let your friend out to play, isn't it? A simple illusion at this distance would be more than enough to fool distant observers..." The tiny sorceress eyes Olofire expectantly.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Never much of a fisherman, Frederick doesn't have much to add, though he favors the unfortunate fellows with an apologetic glance. His eyes dart to Lydia and Amearin, but he says nothing.

When the plume of smoke comes into sight, Frederick urges Leroy into a brisker canter, hoping to make better time, but not so foolish as to strain the tongue of the cart with a gallop. When the wind shifts, and the unmistakeable scent of blood and death flood his lungs, he stops short. Lydia gives voice to his concerns as he hops down from the seat and stomps roughly behind the cart to retrieve his armor. "You know the straps, right? If they're scouting or scrying, I'll need someone else to lend a hand," he grunts pointedly at Lydia. With swift, practiced movements, he throws the coif and leather tunic over his head and shoulders, and hoists the chest plate into place, turning his flank to the cleric to expose its straps more readily.

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Jan sniffs the air suspiciously, but turns to Olofire. "It's a bit early in the day to let your friend out to play, isn't it? A simple illusion at this distance would be more than enough to fool distant observers..." The tiny sorceress eyes Olofire expectantly.

The blood reaches the good doctor's nostrils and he stands up straight eyes fixed dead ahead. The stench stirs a sense of duty to help the injured within him. As Jan motions to him and the flask at his hip, he scoffs to himself. Heh.. Friend..

No but I am still a smaller fellow, I can look ahead and report back with my findings. With that, he darts off the path staying close to any brush as possible.

Spoiler: Stealth Roll
    Show

(1d20+15)[30]

13. - Top - End - #43

NecromancerGuy

When Olofire returns several minutes later he reports that things are bad at the small keep.

Describing the scene, he explains that the keep itself is a squat, simple looking building of black stone consisting of a single ground floor with a tower. It is on a hill and looks to be built into the hill itself. On the level above the entrance there is a 5-ft balcony extending outward, presumably to make it harder for invaders to enter the tower by climbing the walls. Large sharpened wooden stakes (tree trunks sharpened to points) jut out from the hillside on all sides pointing away from the keep to further deter attackers.

None of these defenses seem to be discouraging the lizardfolk from attacking, however.

The fort's stockade horse-corral has been taken, with the dismembered animals dead in the doorway and their stalls. The main door to the keep is on the south side (opposite the PCs), so he couldn't get around to look to see how it is holding up. The little doctor saw eight groups of lizardfolk around the keep arranged in strategic places and using bushes, large rocks, and dead trees as cover. Getting into the keep will require the party to go through the lizardfolk, and the last several yards to the keep walls are open and lack any sort of cover in which someone could hide.

As the halfling's reports the situation, Allustan visibly pales and suddenly looks very nervous. "You all must help the soldiers at the keep! I do not know why Marzena, my contact at the fort, did not send me warning via a spell, but it likely means she has been killed or very badly injured...and without their horses they could not call for reinforcements from Diamond Lake. The small contingent of troops there must be hard-pressed to be in such bad shape. They must have been defending for days by now! I will use my emergency scroll of Teleport to return to the garrison in Diamond Lake to bring back reinforcements. If those men are to have any hope of survival in the meantime you must intervene!" As he speaks he begins rummaging in his robes, apparently looking for the scroll to use it immediately...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I knew it. I just did. Trouble. Adventure. Friggin Lizardfolk!

And of course this little insane group was going to charge right on in! without a care in the world in regards to his needs or life or anything. sigh

If they were going to insist on getting themselves killed before he found Khellek, before he got his life back, well then...it would just be up to him to make sure they got out alive.

Amearin pulls his backpack over his shoulder and pulls out a small wand with a crude inscription on it of a helmet. He points it at himself then Jan after a brief pause and pointed look.

"Well, if we're going to be idiots about this, might as well be smart idiots." A chromatic sheen appears over the two of them before dissipating into their skin.

Spoiler: Spells:
    Show

Jan and Amearin are now under Mage Armorfor the next two hours.

If it would be useful for anyone else, assume you get it and just notify me so I can keep track of charges.

Putting the wand away, he grabs out a copper rod with several dents in it, along with an etching that looks vaguely like a clock.

"If you'll tell me just before we go in, I may be able to make this slightly less suicidal..."

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Before going into battle, Amearin will cast Bull's strength on Frederick (+4str for 5 minutes). The rod is a metamagic rod of extend, but will not be used on the Bull's strength.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2019-11-30 at 10:22 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "You know the straps, right? If they're scouting or scrying, I'll need someone else to lend a hand," he grunts pointedly at Lydia. With swift, practiced movements, he throws the coif and leather tunic over his head and shoulders, and hoists the chest plate into place, turning his flank to the cleric to expose its straps more readily.
    "Don't mistake me for some useless bureaucrat - of course I know the straps! Here, hold still." Lydia steps forward and helps the huge half-orc fasten the chestpiece, tugging perhaps a little harder than is strictly necessary.

"Good work, Doctor - knowing the number and deployment of enemy forces is invaluable." She congratulates the halfling on his return, somewhat stunned at his unexpected grace of movement. When Amearin - the accountant?! - begins distributing magic spells she has to blink rapidly to convince herself that she is still wide awake. Are they all so full of surprises? But the thought doesn't linger for long as her training kicks in, and soon she is barking out orders as though she were back home commanding a patrol of the city watch.

"Alright. Allustan will return to Diamond Lake and arrange for backup - tell Trask that if he doesn't triple-time it on that march he'll have me to answer to! Now, we need to know if we're up against opportunistic raiders or a disciplined military. The first engagement will be to test their mettle. The doctor will lead us to the nearest cluster of enemies and we will dispatch them swiftly and silently! Once we know how tough they are we can formulate a better plan. Until then, we can also rely on the fact that they don't know our strength, or our numbers." She turns to consider Jan. "I know some of your kind are proficient with illusion magics that can make the eye see things that don't exist. If you have any such tricks, they might help in convincing the lizardfolk that our force is larger and stronger than it truly is. Shock and awe is the idea."

"Our objective is to drive off the lizardfolk and secure the keep. Stay alert, keep behind Frederick and I, and follow my instructions, and you'll make it out alive. Any questions?"

Spoiler: Spells & Initiative
    Show
    Before engaging the first batch of lizardfolk, Lydia will cast Bull's Strength on herself and Aid on Frederick.

As a Divine Strategist, Lydia confers a +1 initiative bonus to all of her allies (1/4 her cleric level).

From the War (Tactics) subdomain, Lydia will use Seize the Initiative to let Frederick roll twice for initiative and take the better result. (In the future she may use this ability on other PCs, but for now Frederick is the only one she trusts in a fight!)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2019-11-30 at 11:37 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"Allustan." Frederick calls to the mage, while Lydia helps him don the plate. "Will your magic enable you to take Leroy as well? He is well trained, but I have never been able to afford barding, and would never forGIVE!-" he suddenly barks out the word, with a scowl for Lydia. "At least one pin looser, please," he growls, turning back to face Allustan. "I would never forgive myself if he befell the same fate as the poor beasts stabled up the hill. If need be, I'll pull the cart when it comes to it." The last straps are tightened appropriately, and Frederick begins to bend and stretch, working tired and cramped muscles free from the tightness of sitting most of the day. He reaches into the cart, retrieving his heavy blade, and adds as an afterthought: "Perhaps you should take Amearin, as well. This seems beyond-"
    "if we're going to be idiots about this, might as well be smart idiots."
    Frederick raises his head over the cart walls and blinks, at first unsure if his ears have just deceived him. As Amearin's actions prove otherwise, the paladin takes is decidedly surprised by the knobby Elf's stoicism. "I suppose never mind," he finishes lamely, but with a new expression of profound respect for the accountant.

Sword in hand, he turns to Jan and Amearin. "Now, when Olof-"
    "Alright. Allustan will return to Diamond Lake and arrange for backup - tell Trask that if he doesn't triple-time it on that march he'll have me to answer to! Now, we need to know.."
    The paladin blinks again, surprised both by Lydia's interruption and her fast-streaming words. He watches her, cool and collected, summarizing their strategy and giving orders with clarity and composure. A scowl growing, he listens dutifully, with an otherwise unreadable expression (the scowl is sufficiently perpetual to mean little by itself).
    "Any questions?
    Still standing beside the cleric, he mutters in a gravely tone, perhaps too quietly for the other companions to hear, "You are aware that we've fought worse than this without you?"

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

Allustan nods to Frederick and responds, "I will be glad to take Leroy with me - and the cart as well. They will be safe back at my home in Diamond Lake." He then watches the party prepare, keeping his thoughts to himself and waiting until everyone has their gear from the cart before activating the scroll and disappearing with a faintly audible pop.

The party makes their way quietly to the outskirts of the fort grounds before Olofire stops them at the bottom of a slight rise. There everyone prepares their magic and readies themselves to attack.

This image above is the original from the campaign material. Each square is 10 ft x 10 ft (I have no idea why).

Battle Map

You all are approaching from the North (top of the map).

On both maps you can see spikes - these are literally large tree trunks with sharpened ends used as defenses by the soldiers against invaders. Entering these squares from the wrong direction (any of the three squares on the pointy end of the spikes) subjects a character to a DC 10 (DC 15 if running/charging) Reflex save to avoid 1d6 piercing damage. A PC may avoid this save entirely by taking two squares of movement and not running/charging as you enter these squares.

Though there is an aspect of elevation, it will only matter if you intend to charge or used range attacks over the hill. Use the original map image to get an idea of the general slope.

The lizardfolk are arrayed in groups roughly where noted on the battle map. They are generally looking towards the keep and are not concerned with being ambushed from behind (yet). As the PCs engage them I will provide more details for each group of foes. In general they appear to be armed with morningstars, heavy wooden shields, and javelins.

There isn't a safe way for the soldiers to escape the fort, even if they wanted to take a 10-ft drop from the ledge on the second floor. The soldiers are spread out roughly evenly, with a couple of extras manning the southern wall above the entrance to the keep. They are running short of arrows, so they won't fire unless they have good shots or you communicate with them to distract the lizardfolk somehow.

You cannot see inside the keep yet or see the southern door (which has been broken down and hastily rebuilt at least once already). I included some internal features for later on the battle map.

18. - Top - End - #48

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"[COLOR="#008000"]"Alright. Allustan will return to Diamond Lake and arrange for backup - tell Trask that if he doesn't triple-time it on that march he'll have me to answer to! Now, we need to know if we're up against opportunistic raiders or a disciplined military. The first engagement will be to test their mettle. The doctor will lead us to the nearest cluster of enemies and we will dispatch them swiftly and silently! Once we know how tough they are we can formulate a better plan. Until then, we can also rely on the fact that they don't know our strength, or our numbers." She turns to consider Jan. "I know some of your kind are proficient with illusion magics that can make the eye see things that don't exist. If you have any such tricks, they might help in convincing the lizardfolk that our force is larger and stronger than it truly is. Shock and awe is the idea."

"Our objective is to drive off the lizardfolk and secure the keep. Stay alert, keep behind Frederick and I, and follow my instructions, and you'll make it out alive. Any questions?"
    Lydia, if I may. I don't intend to overstep any bounds or lessen your experience, but based on our previous experience, if even one lizardfolk sees through any illusions to mask our numbers, they can call for backup and we can easily be overwhelmed by sheer numbers again. Instead why don't we quietly dispatch each group before they can notify their companions? There is a group of lizardfolk on the north east side of the hill that is fairly isolated. Why don't we start there?

The whole time he speaks he does not look up at the cleric, however the conviction in his voice is not lost to those that can hear him. Which ever way she responds, he follows gripping his scalpels.. This is never an easy task for him, but he must help save those that he can!

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

(1d20+4)[20]
    As mentioned I will follow Lydia as she has more experience. Just hoping she will heed my words.

Spoiler: Current Status
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 4, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 7, Ref 12, Will 4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +11 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +11 (1d4+1, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 23, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 9
    Condition None
    Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    Extracts prepared: CLW 1/1, Expeditious Retreat 1/1, Sheld 1/1, 1 blank extract (1 minute to create)
    Panache 3/3

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If Lydia hears Frederick's muttered question she doesn't let on. "Of course, Doctor. I only meant for the illusions as an element of last resort, when we are engaging the full strength of the foe. Beginning by dispatching one group at a time is a sound strategy. Won't you lead the way?" Finishing her spellcasting, Lydia tightens her grip on her spear and exhales heavily, mentally preparing herself for the chaos of battle.

Spoiler: Initiative & Actions
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+5)[16]

Assuming we're engaging group 8 on the battle map, Lydia's first round will be spent moving (up to 30ft) into range of the nearest lizardfolk and (power) attacking with her longspear:

atk (1d20+8)[10], dmg (1d8+11)[19], cc (1d20+8)[15] (20/x2), cdmg (1d8+11)[16]

If AoOs become applicable, she can make up to 3:
    atk (1d20+8)[11], dmg (1d8+11)[14], cc (1d20+8)[20] (20/x2), cdmg (1d8+11)[16]
    atk (1d20+8)[23], dmg (1d8+11)[12], cc (1d20+8)[27] (20/x2), cdmg (1d8+11)[14]
    atk (1d20+8)[13], dmg (1d8+11)[19], cc (1d20+8)[26] (20/x2), cdmg (1d8+11)[16]

Active spell effects:
    - Bull's Strength on self (+4 STR, 5 min)
    - Aid on Frederick (+1 atk, +1 save vs fear, (1d8+5)[9] temp hp, 5 min)

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Lydia Constantine Human Cleric 5 LG HP 43 / 43 Speed ft Init 5 AC 19 Fort 6 Ref 3 Will 7 CMB +8 BAB 3 +1 Longspear +9 (1d8 + 8, x2)
    Longsword +8 (1d8 + 5, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Mace +8 (1d8 + 5, x2) Str 16 (5) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 17 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

(Don't forget Lydia gives everyone +1 to initiative!)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2019-12-01 at 08:45 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I will use my emergency scroll of Teleport to return to the garrison in Diamond Lake to bring back reinforcements. If those men are to have any hope of survival in the meantime you must intervene!" As he speaks he begins rummaging in his robes, apparently looking for the scroll to use it immediately...
    Jan interrupts the mage's digging, blurting out "Wait a second- before you bolt, do you have some spells that might help us? Reinforcements won't do much good if they, not to mention we, aren't able to hold out 'til then!"

The gnome sorceress nods appreciatively at Amearin's lent charge of Mage Armor, and she eyes the quiet elf with greater interest than before.

"Of course, Doctor. I only meant for the illusions as an element of last resort, when we are engaging the full strength of the foe. Beginning by dispatching one group at a time is a sound strategy. Won't you lead the way?"
    Jan's face twists from one party member to another as their various tactical suggestions vie for dominance; landing finally on the cleric, the gnome gives a frazzled smile. "Uh, sure! If we need a diversion, or just to drive off some numbers, I can make somethin' happen. Like a few dozen soldiers marching behind?" She grins impetuously, rubbing her tiny hands together in eagerness!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Have to address WBL and build stats. Will insert these when able.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick groans. "Subterfuge and stealth are not my strongest suits, but I will try to keep it down." He clanks along several paces behind his allies, trusting his legs to carry him into the fray with sufficient speed to make up the difference. As they approach, he hunkers lower, gripping his falchion such to keep the blade down and out of the light. He waits for Olofire to make the first move, before charging in with an uncharacteristically shout-free gait.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 1?
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin, Level 5, Init +1, HP 44/44, Speed 20
    AC 24, Touch 11, Flat-footed 24, CMD 19, Fort 8, Ref +4, Will +6, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Magic Falchion +1 +10 (2d4+7, 18-20/x2)
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    MW Glaive +10 (1d10+6, x3)
    MW Composite Longbow (+3 str) (40 standard arrows) +6 (1d8+3, x3)
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield of Blinding +1, Ring of Protection +1 (+10 Armor, +3 shield, +1 Deflection)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition Lay on Hands: 5/5
    Smite Evil: 2/2
    Divine Bond: 1/1
    Aid: +1 attack, + 9 temp HP (5 mins)

(1d20+1)[19] initiative
    (1d20+1)[4] initiative redo- best of two, thanks to Lydia
    Stealth rolled in OOC: 10
    Precise details will depend on the map when combat starts, but the plan is to run in with the falchion. Might charge, won't rage or use any paladin abilities yet. As always, buffs are much appreciated! XD

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

"Wait a second- before you bolt, do you have some spells that might help us? Reinforcements won't do much good if they, not to mention we, aren't able to hold out 'til then!"
    Allustan visibly blushes before responding, saying, "I'm sorry, Janstina, but I'm afraid nothing I can cast will last long enough to help you. Be brave - reinforcements are coming!"

The party is able to make it quite a ways before everyone can see the keep and its attackers. As they settle and begin their charge it looks like things will work out until at the last moment Frederick and Lydia both step too hard and two of the lizardfolk in the nearest group turn and look their direction...

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "Warmbloods! From behind!"
    "Look out!"

Round 1
    But the warning does little to help the five lizardfolk nearest the party. As Amearin imbues him with greater strength, the orcish paladin charges! With a fearsome overhead slash Frederick cleaves one of the two lizardfolk who heard him in two! Neither Olofire nor Lydia connect with their strikes, but in the last moments before the reptiles can react, Jan performs a classic move and sprays three of them with a burst of color from her fingertips, dropping two instantly into unconsciousness and blinding/stunning the third (a lizardfolk wearing hide armor over his scales). The final lizardfolk, seeing its allies prone and itself alone against five new enemies, flees towards another group of attacking lizardfolk, hissing more warnings as it runs!

The lizardfolk in Group 7 are warned of the party's presence by the one lizardfolk who survived your opening attack and reached them while fleeing during its turn. The lizardfolk in Group 1 heard the warning but will not be able to see what is happening for (1d4)[3] rounds.

How do you deal with the three lizardfolk at your feet? I need round-by-round action from here on out! The map is updated. Begin round 2!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

That was rather violent. It'd been a while since he used Bulls Strength, so, he hadn't 100% anticipated what Frederick was about to do. They'll get those, but unless I do something, that lizard folk that ran is going to warn everyone. Then we'll be in a right mess. Shortest. Adventure. Ever.

Amearin steps forward, waves his hands, and begins to encant while pulling out a small flat rock, with several distinct layers. Energy coalesces until it bursts far away, over the heads of the lizard group just warned.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Cast Glitterdust. DC 19 Will or be Blinded for 5 rounds. 10 ft radius
    Center on Group 7
    Move to (AX,9)

Show
    Amearin Deh Elf Wizard 5 NG HP 23 / 23 Speed ft Init 8 AC 13 Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 5 CMB +2 BAB 2 Ray of Frost 5 (, x20) Str 10 (0) Dex 16 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 10 (0) Int 22 (6) Cha 8 (-1)
    Last edited by Untarr; 2019-12-03 at 06:25 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

With a grim expression, Frederick notes the warning given to the next-nearest group. "We cannot afford to be caught with enemies both before and behind," he grunts with an expression of distaste. Without additional explanation, he brings his heavy blade down on one of the stunned foes.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 2
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin, Level 5, Init +1, HP 44/44, Speed 20
    AC 24, Touch 11, Flat-footed 24, CMD 19, Fort 8, Ref +4, Will +6, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield of Blinding +1, Ring of Protection +1 (+10 Armor, +3 shield, +1 Deflection)
    Aid: +1 attack, + 9 temp HP (5 mins, -12 secs)

Move to AT/12.
    Attack the stunned and blinded one, leaving the unconscious ones for my homies. I'm guessing substantial bonuses to-hit or penalties to AC.
    (1d20+11)[24] falchion
    (1d20+11)[30] crit confirmation (29+, x2)
    (2d4+7)[13] damage
    (2d4+7)[14] crit bonus

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    With a grim expression, Frederick notes the warning given to the next-nearest group. "We cannot afford to be caught with enemies both before and behind," he grunts with an expression of distaste. Without additional explanation, he brings his heavy blade down on one of the stunned foes.
    Lydia nods in silent recognition. Flipping her spear upside-down, she drives the point deeply into one of the unconscious lizardmen near the base of its skull.

Show
    5ft step to AS/8 and then coup de grace one of the unconscious lizardmen (full-round action).
    damage (1d8+11)[15] + critical damage (1d8+11)[12] -> DC 37 Fortitude save or die

Active spell effects:
    - Aid on Frederick (+1 atk, +1 save vs fear, [roll17] temp hp, 5 min)

Show
    Lydia Constantine Human Cleric 5 LG HP 43 / 43 Speed ft Init 5 AC 19 Fort 6 Ref 3 Will 7 CMB +8 BAB 3 +1 Longspear +9 (1d8 + 8, x2)
    Heavy Mace +8 (1d8 + 5, x2) Str 16 (5) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 17 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Last edited by MuffinMan; 2019-12-03 at 03:44 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire steps up to the other unconscious Lizardfolk and deals a painless strike with his scalpel. He silently laments that Amearin is here for all this, but is thankful for his help.

When he hears Frederick's warning, he quietly stands back up ready to move forward and intercept while the blue and green swirled concoction sways at his belt.

Spoiler: Round 2 Actions
    Show

5ft step (AS,9)
    CDG Damage (1d3+2)[3] x2=6 + Sneak Attack (3d6)[10] = 16 total damage

Spoiler: Character stats
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 4, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 7, Ref 12, Will 5, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +11 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +11 (1d4+1, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Condition None
    Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    Extracts prepared: CLW 1/1, Expeditious Retreat 1/1, Sheld 1/1, 1 blank extract (1 minute to create)
    Panache 3/3

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2019-12-03 at 09:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

Round 2
    As the three melee PCs mercifully execute the lizardfolk at their feet (each death is deliberate, precise, and instantaneous-enough to be painless) Amearin moves to a nearby rock outcropping and conjures a cloud of golden particles over the group of lizardfolk warriors south of him. As the particles begin to fall one of the reptiles screams, making a sound wholly unlike anything a human could (imagine a mixture of a hiss and a goose' honk, only at the volume of a roar), and all of the reptiles begin clawing at their eyes as the powder falls over them.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "Ah! What is it?"
    "I can't see!"
    "My eyes!"

Meanwhile, Jan removes a wand and activates it, causing a barely visible shield of force to form in from of her.

From the battlements of the fort can be seen several human soldiers, watching but not yet calling out to the party.

Group 7 looks to be entirely blinded and unable to effectively react to the party. These lizardfolk are making quite the (different) commotion, however, and are likely to be noticed by their allies. You have been seen by the soldiers nearest you, but they are not yet calling out to you - whether this is out of fear or out of trying to help you (by not giving away your entrance to the battle) is unknown. Continue with round-by-round actions, please. The map is updated. Begin round 3!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow...they just all...killed them. The big ol' orc managed to chop two in half with one swing. This was so INSANE. What was he even doing here? The glitterdust spell just went off without a hitch.

Hah! Not just a silly party trick Professor Gerodin! I am so friggin awesome. Look at those Lizardfolk just running around clawing their eyes out! Maybe I can do this!

*hears the cries of the blind group grow*

...ewww...well that was not my intention. At this rate they'll all know something is wrong. We'll get swarmed and be lizardfood for sure. Oh man...if only those soldiers...WAIT! They can...hah!

"That group is blind for the next minute. Chop choppie you little chop choppians! I'll get those soldiers to start helping us"

Amearin puts the rock away and pulls out a piece of copper wire. One end touches his tongue for a brief moment before the spell completes.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show

Cast Message

Move to (AW, 15)

What is said to the soldiers can be discussed in chat or OOC thread. I won't be able to edit this post for the rest of the day though.

Show
    Amearin Deh Elf Wizard 5 NG HP 23 / 23 Speed ft Init 8 AC 13 Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 5 CMB +2 BAB 2 Ray of Frost 5 (, x20) Str 10 (0) Dex 16 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 10 (0) Int 22 (6) Cha 8 (-1)
    Last edited by Untarr; 2019-12-04 at 06:56 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 3

"You're full of surprises, accountant! Keep an eye on the flank." She gives a universal military signal signal to "advance", forgetting for a brief moment that her allies are not trained soldiers, but mostly civilians. She herself moves closer to the next band of enemies, noting that Amearin's spell seems to be affecting their vision somehow. Good.

Show
    Double-move to AV/19. Out of stabbing range, so that's all for this round unless any blinded lizards wander into range and provoke AoOs.

Sample AoO:
    power attack (1d20+8)[17], (20/x2) crit confirm (1d20+8)[9], damage (1d8+11)[12], crit dmg (1d8+11)[18]

Active spell effects:
    - Aid on Frederick (+1 atk, +1 save vs fear, [roll17] temp hp, 5 min)

Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Given the distance across the sloping hillside, Frederick lumbers into a heavy gait that might charitably be described as running. Those familiar with the encumbrance of heavy armor would accurately describe it as downright frightening. He lumbers towards the blinded lizardmen, grim purpose barely visible beneath the cowl of his simple helm.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 3
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin, Level 5, Init +1, HP 44/44 (9 temporary), Speed 20
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    Aid: +1 attack, + 9 temp HP (5 mins, -18 secs)

If it's mechanically kosher (straight lines are iffy with curvature, and I'm not sure if spikes would entail difficult terrain?), Run to AW/22. If for some reason this isn't OK, double-move to AW/20 instead.