New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

Olofire's breathe is ragged as he attempts to clear his head and calm down. He makes no interjections as Lydia, Frederick and Amearin lead the conversation. Has he always been able to speak Draconic?

As Ssayth finishes up, Olofire says to Frederick, without making eye contact with anyone, I can help search for any traps. We must not delay, I will continue working on my alchemy to prepare for the upcoming venture.

Olofire goes back to his tools and sits and lights a candle to begin his work.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Olofire will need a little more than an hour to create another Mutagen as well as filling his blank extract slot with a second Shield extract.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan listens to Ssayth with a mixture of concern for his position and shock at the description of sacrificing the human captives to their reptilian deity. She blinks her large, wide-set eyes as the discussion strays toward the particulars of strategy, but continues to watch the lizardman with sympathy. "I know it's hard, Sssayth, figuring out the right thing to do for your family, your tribe, and even your faith." She gives him a rueful smile. "One thing that worries me- do your clutchmates share your concerns about Shukak at all? There's little love lost between your kind and humans, from what I can tell. If we can subdue your kin, will they listen to you and give up the fight? Otherwise..." The gnome raises her hands in a gesture of helplessness.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ssayth looks down at Jan. "The sssoldiersss have told me that a 'sssmile' can ssshow when you like another. They alssso sssay my sssmile is ssscary. If I could sssmile without ssscaring you I would, little one. I remember your kindnesssss from before.

I do not know how to anssswer you. They attacked the fort, but they might be afraid of Ssshukak. Sssome believe in him and Ilthane. Before you killed him, Kussshak, Ssshukak's ssson, did. Kotabasss triesss to be like Ssshukak, but hisss anger isss not the sssame. Ssshesssht followed Kussshak, but is Hissshka'sss apprenticcce, ssso who knowsss what ssshe thinksss...

You will have to fight and kill sssome of them. I do not know how many. They will not lisssten to me, excccept for maybe Hissshka - it isss wissse and lissstensss more than it ssspeaksss. But the othersss? No.
    " the lizardfolk shakes his head and ruffles his dorsal frill. "I am a ssskithra, a failure, and they will never lisssten to me or have me back. It isss not our way."

Jan's Diplomacy check has improved Ssayth's attitude one step further to friendly (at least as much as a reptilian - and therefore alien - humanoid can be). If you all ask him to lead you to the Twisted Branch lair it will make finding the lair much easier and faster.

Also, let me remind you that there has been at least one black dragon ("Ilthane") in this swamp - not everything here will be reasonable for you to defeat and having someone guide you away from the biggest threats could prove important.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Olofire producing his alchemy kit reminds Lydia that the team needs to prepare its own logistics for an extended excursion into the swamp. She beckons for Corporal Howard to attend her. "Corporal, you know these lands better than any of us, except... Ssayth." Her mouth twists on the unfamiliar pronunciation. "What can you tell us about the environment and any hazards we'll be facing in the swamp? I hate to ask it of you, but if we could borrow any relevant gear you have - ropes, tents, and the like - it would increase our chances of success. We're currently outfitted for journeying on well-traveled roads, not delving into the muck."

"And, one more thing..." Her voice lowers somewhat as she attempts to discreetly keep Ssayth from hearing her next words. "You've also spent the most time with this Ssayth creature. Can he be trusted? If he can lead us straight to their lair it would be a huge aid, but if he decides to win back favor with his tribe by leading us into a trap..."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

5. - Top - End - #125

NecromancerGuy

The Corporal attends to Lydia smartly, his fatigue only obvious when looking closely at the new wrinkles around his eyes. "Ma'am, the Mistmarsh is tough. We don't usually perform patrols or anything into the interior because the swamp is so treacherous. What maps we have tend to be outdated, since a serious storm can move sandbars and riverbanks overnight. We know there is at least one band of ghouls in the area, as I mentioned earlier, and there have been rumors of something that can turn people to stone - I've been told that there are monsters called basilisks or cockatrices that do that, though for all we know it could be a powerful spellcaster too. Of course, there are dozens of lizardfolk tribes, and none of them are friendly. They war between each other mostly, but they will eat anything they can kill..."

He begins counting off items on his fingers. "Of course, there is quicksand, poisonous plants and animals, and all the other sorts of nasties one would expect in a swamp too. I am sure you all could handle anything thrown at you, but please excuse me if I don't offer to send my men along - with our losses we need them here until reinforcements and relief arrives..." the young man trails off, and for a moment Lydia realizes just how young he must be. Little more than a boy, this soung soldier has already seen more death than many see in decades of military service. "We have some basic equipment stored, but it may take us some time to find it - our quartermaster was killed during the fighting, and since we don't use that gear often it is likely in crates in the basement," he continues, looking away from the cleric nervously.

Spoiler: Lydia: Sense Motive DC 14
    Show
    Corporal Howard is clearly nervous about something in the basement and doing his best to hide his discomfort. He probably doesn't want to discuss it, however...

Corporal Howard continues, "As for Ssayth...he showed up here about a month and a half ago, voluntarily submitting himself to the fort Commander. He is, well, a lizard, and the men are uncomfortable around him, but he has behave well. If anything, he seems more intimidated by us than we are of him. As for trusting him, I don't know, Ma'am...I don't think he is likely to offer you and your allies much of a threat alone, but I suppose it is possible that he could lead you into a trap..."

Looking over his shoulder at Dr. Olofire he finishes, saying, "After the halfling attacked him just now I wouldn't be surprised if he turned on you, but, well, you see his response so far. He hasn't struck back..." the young man shrugs, noncommittally.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Ssayth looks down at Jan. "The sssoldiersss have told me that a 'sssmile' can ssshow when you like another. They alssso sssay my sssmile is ssscary. If I could sssmile without ssscaring you I would, little one. I remember your kindnesssss from before.
    Jan smiles warmly at the lizardman, but allows him to continue uninterrupted.

I do not know how to anssswer you. They attacked the fort, but they might be afraid of Ssshukak. Sssome believe in him and Ilthane. Before you killed him, Kussshak, Ssshukak's ssson, did. Kotabasss triesss to be like Ssshukak, but hisss anger isss not the sssame. Ssshesssht followed Kussshak, but is Hissshka'sss apprenticcce, ssso who knowsss what ssshe thinksss...

You will have to fight and kill sssome of them. I do not know how many. They will not lisssten to me, excccept for maybe Hissshka - it isss wissse and lissstensss more than it ssspeaksss. But the othersss? No.
    " the lizardfolk shakes his head and ruffles his dorsal frill. "I am a ssskithra, a failure, and they will never lisssten to me or have me back. It isss not our way."
    Jan nods thoughtfully. "Well... we can't save any of your clutchmates from here, not to mention the human captives, so... can you guide us to your tribe's home? Maybe we can... persuade them to give back their captives, and if we show that we mean them no direct harm, perhaps they'll come around on the dragon, worms, all that kind of stuff as well!" She smiles hopefully up at Ssayth.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    I don't suppose it takes a Diplomacy check to make the request, but: [roll]1d20+12 27, rolled in OOC due to typo
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-01-15 at 03:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

NecromancerGuy

Ssayth looks at Jan for several breaths, his lizard eyes blinking but showing no other motion. "I am ssstill learning to underssstand your way of ssspeech, but if 'persssuade' meansss to fight, I will not raissse claw againssst my clutchmatesss. You may have to do thisss, but all I will do isss guide you to our...their lair. If you commit to killing asss few of them asss possssible, I will do thisss," he finally responds, the words ponderous and slow. It is clear he is unhappy with the circumstances, but sees this as the only way to really help. "Will your alliesss trussst me asss your guide?" he asks, glancing at Olofire meaningfully.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia listens stoically to the young corporal's description of the swamp's hazards, although inwardly her spirits begin to sink at the complexity of the task before them. "Thank you, Corporal - that's just the information we need. We will take whatever equipment you can spare - Frederick and I can help you in the basement. Although..." she leans in closer and lowers her voice again, "is there something troubling you about the basement, or the equipment in it? There's no shame in a little fear - it's what keeps us alive in moments like this."
    Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Lydia's bedside manner is... not great, but she'll try to reassure the Corporal to spill whatever's on his mind: (1d20-1)[0]
    EDIT: lol, she probably just pissed him off

"Will your alliesss trussst me asss your guide?" he asks, glancing at Olofire meaningfully.
    "It seems we have no choice. From what Corporal Howard here has said, you're probably our only chance of finding the captives and rescuing them in time." She sighs and softly shakes her head. "Fate has made us unlikely allies, Ssayth. I will give you a chance to prove yourself. If you will lead us to the lair and back, you have my word we will do everything in our power to help your people."
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-01-16 at 09:51 AM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick stands firm, his own presence something of a deterrent from any further unpleasantness. As Olofire begins the work of preparing another mutagen, he relaxes slightly, but his military training and upbringing keep his spine straight and his chin elevated just above the horizontal nonetheless. He glances back and forth between Jan and Ssayth's dialogue and Lydia's discussion with Howard. Eyebrows furrow slightly as she leans in for a conspiratorial whisper, but his glance flickers to the pendant at her neck and he masters himself. No Heironean would dare employ subterfuge in such a setting. His eyes lower in a scowl meant only for himself and his head shakes in silent reprimand.

Seeing that Ssayth is at least well on the way to agreeing, he plods towards Olofire. "I hope you can speak simply while you work?" he begins. If the doctor assents, he will mutter in a lower voice, "You know he is not... like the rest of his kind. Why did you attack him? - and can you remain calm and accept his aid traversing the swamp?" He means the questions simply, having no mind nor heart for the politics of court- and likewise fails to recognize the potential insult carried therein.

10. - Top - End - #130

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Thank you, Corporal - that's just the information we need. We will take whatever equipment you can spare - Frederick and I can help you in the basement. Although...is there something troubling you about the basement, or the equipment in it? There's no shame in a little fear - it's what keeps us alive in moments like this."
    Corporal Howard starts, standing up straight and for a moment looking quite frightened. "No ma'am!" he says, a little too loudly and with obvious discomfort. "I wouldn't consider asking you or Sir Knight to step in and help - we may be tired, but we can handle getting you some basic equipment..." Several of the soldiers nearby look over at the young man with quizzical expressions until it becomes clear what he is discussing. Then they studiously find something else to do, leaving the Corporal to face Lydia and the party alone...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Give me a list of basic camping/hiking/traveling equipment - from the core rulebook and non-magical - and the Corporal will acquire it for the party to borrow (with my approval).

Ssayth looks over at Lydia and Corporal Howard, his cold eyes and reptilian features displaying none of his thoughts. "The sssoldiersss do not like going down to the basssement. I do not know why," he hisses, his voice low enough to be heard by the party and Corporal Howard, but no one else. "Corporal Howard hasss been kind to me, but he doesss not ssspeak about what isss down there..."

Corporal Howard is obviously avoiding the topic of whatever it is in the basement that makes him uncomfortable, and anyone else nearby (like the rest of the party) can tell. Do you want to continue to dig into this right now?

"Fate has made us unlikely allies, Ssayth. I will give you a chance to prove yourself. If you will lead us to the lair and back, you have my word we will do everything in our power to help your people."
    The lizardman nods his head awkwardly. "Thank you."

11. - Top - End - #131

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Seeing that Ssayth is at least well on the way to agreeing, he plods towards Olofire. "I hope you can speak simply while you work?" he begins. If the doctor assents, he will mutter in a lower voice, "You know he is not... like the rest of his kind. Why did you attack him? - and can you remain calm and accept his aid traversing the swamp?" He means the questions simply, having no mind nor heart for the politics of court- and likewise fails to recognize the potential insult carried therein.
    Olofire stops his work but doesn't look up, I'm sorry Frederick. I don't know. I just remember seeing all the dead soldiers, and I fought with and killed his leader and almost died myself... He takes a moment to retrieve the words. I couldn't help myself. I think it was just the culmination of everything that has happened.. I can remain calm. I have been listening and we need him. Please forgive my outburst.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Will your alliesss trussst me asss your guide?" he asks, glancing at Olofire meaningfully.
    "Fate has made us unlikely allies, Ssayth. I will give you a chance to prove yourself. If you will lead us to the lair and back, you have my word we will do everything in our power to help your people."
    Jan nods sagely up at the Heironean cleric. After a moment sending a sidelong, appraising glance at Frederick and Olofire's quiet side conversation, she says, "Don't worry, Ssayth, we'll keep a closer eye on the doc' over there. I mean, he's usually a lot more mild-mannered, but when he gets the 'crazy juice' in his system..." she shrugs, smiling disarmingly at their new reptilian guide. ""

"Corporal Howard hasss been kind to me, but he doesss not ssspeak about what isss down there..."
    Looking from the captain to the lizardman with a suspicious expression, Jan raises one eyebrow. "Hoooookay, I suppose we're gonna have to figure that one out a little later, maybe when there's not soldiers in danger of becoming lunch."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Amearin stays quiet through the interrogation. His presence only serving to start translating should the need arrive. As the conversation progresses, it becomes increasingly obvious to the accountant that his linguistic skills are no longer required.

Stepping back, he takes a moment to contemplate the battle, the fallout, the implications of going into a FRAGGIN SWAMP. I mean, what exactly are you doing?. This is no place for you! You'll just get yourself killed, or worse, EATEN?!?!. There were a lot of ways that Amearin had imagined up to die horribly in various situations, though, he had to admit, the prospect of being eaten was never considered until now. It was one he did not particularly find too keen.

Maybe he could just...go make a life back in that small backwood town Diamond Lake. Living out his life in a rustic backwater with nothing to do but help some local farmer remove a wart off his wife's ass using a fake magical remedy. Dear lord that sounded dreadful.

He had to face it. If he wanted his old life back, he would have to go into that swamp and figure out just what this was all about. Whatever it was, it drove him from his home and life and he wasn't about to sit around and just let it do that.

Waiting until the cleric was finished with the captain, Amearin walked up to her. He started talking before he realized what he was saying.

"I think....I think I'll go with you....but you have to swear that you won't let anyone or anything eat me!"
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick nods, before realizing that Olofire never actually looked up. "Good enough," he responds with a grunt. "Let us know when you're ready," he adds, before turning on his heels to approach Lydia. It appears Amearin had the same idea, only a moment or two prior, so Frederick is standing by when the accountant makes his declaration.

"I'll make that promise, man," he interrupts. "Though I think it's likely to be an all or nothing kind of situation. Still, if you've got any more tricks up your sleeve like that last one, I think we'll be just fine." One hand closes into a fist with an eager grin. He nods in a way that is supposed to be reassuring, but probably comes across.... not.

Turning to the cleric, he inclines his head respectfully. "Miss Constantine, what is your assessment of Howard?" he asks, trying to balance formality and his concern over the soldier's obviously uncomfortable secret.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Just 'Lydia' will do, please," she replies. "We've now shed blood in battle together - we don't have to stand on full ceremony."

"Corporal Howard? Hmm... young, inexperienced, exhausted. But he is earnest and, whatever he is hiding in the basement I believe he means no harm by it. Probably an illegal gambling ring or some other vice that soldiers in isolation will turn to out of boredom... I would let him save face, especially with more lives hanging in the balance. If the situation is unchanged when we return we can deal with it then."

Turning to Amearin, "Thank you for stepping up. As Frederick says, we will do everything in our power to shield you from harm. Should anything happen to Ssayth your translations will be our last chance of resolving this without more violence. And if it should come to violence, your magic may again be... very useful. If you need to make any preparations, like the Doctor, you should do so now."

Finally, rejoining Corporal Howard: "I'm sorry if I offended - of course you all have proven to be more than capable. If it's not too much to ask, we could use these items for our journey into the swamp..." She begins ticking off items on her fingers as she recites them aloud, her church training having included the basics of squad logistics and expeditionary missions.

Spoiler: Item List
    Show
    Will update this with a first draft in just a moment - anyone else is welcome to amend it here or in OOC.

- Trail rations: Enough to make up 3 days for everyone, plus 3 days' worth per captive
    - Waterskins: 1 for each captive
    - Tents: 2 medium and 1 small
    - Bedrolls and blankets: 1 for each captive
    - Camouflage netting x3 (for the tents)
    - Fishing net x2
    - Compass
    - Map of the area
    - Hemp rope: 200 ft (minus whatever we already have)
    - Hooded lamp x2
    - Lamp oil x4
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-01-19 at 09:53 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

NecromancerGuy

Ssayth nods and says, "I will get my thingsss," before excusing himself and walking into the fort to presumably gather his equipment.

Corporal Howard salutes Lydia smartly before making a sharp about-face and barking orders at several of the soldiers nearby, directing them to start gathering the required equipment for the party.

Spoiler: Items requested
    Show
    The only items not provided or required are:

Waterskins - Lydia can cast Create Water to handle the needs of a small army if needed
    Bedrolls and blankets - in the climate of the swamp they won't need the additional cold-weather gear, so you only get the bedrolls
    Compass and Map of the area - Ssayth doesn't need these and maps aren't useful in the constantly changing terrain.

About thirty minutes later the soldiers have carefully packed everything in packs for the PCs and Ssayth is ready to leave. If you have any final preparations before leaving Blackwall Keep, let me know. Otherwise I will post the first day of your cross-swamp trek tomorrow.

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGuy

An hour later the party has provisions, camping gear, and is ready to go. "We will be repairing the main door after cleaning the bodies from the battlefield. Thank you for this - we're a small company...smaller than we used to be...and we're praying for your success saving our buddies," Corporal Howard says, as he sees the party off. The young man looks tired, but motivated by the party's timely arrival and the ensuing victory. His men are already hard at work, and you feel confident that unless some new disaster strikes the fort that they will be alright for several days (at least until reinforcements arrive with Alustan).

With Ssayth in the lead the party begins walking south into the bogs and marshes. It isn't more than ten minutes before the going gets difficult - though the lizardfolk tries to keep to the driest path, the swamp is choked with plant life and streams. The fleeing lizardfolk seem to have cut a path of sorts, but especially for Jan, Olofire, and Amearin, this will be tough. Every time the mud slows Ssayth down it all but stops the party as they help the halfling and gnome over the morass, and though the accountant is clearly doing his best, this is not something he has ever imagined doing before.

Frederick and Lydia spend a good deal of time helping their allies as Ssayth keeps an eye out for danger. As the afternoon lengthens a light shower hits, and after about fifteen minutes passes. In turn, the mist for which the Mistmarsh gets its name rises from the muck and swarms of insects assault the party in the heat and humidity. Travel gets even worse at this point, and the armor of the cleric and paladin begin to stink from sweat and grime.

About an hour before sunset Ssayth suddenly brings the party to a halt with a loud hiss. "Sssssss! Ssstop moving, right now!" he commands, as he freezes completely, barely seeming to even breath. Silently, he points to the left between two trees.

For several seconds no one can see anything, but then the light seems to hit something floating in the air. A long filament runs nearly-invisible between the two trees, and following it the adventurers begin to see more and more, until after about a minute they have traced an enormous web as large as the fort spanning the area. Ssayth seems to have seen several lines just moments before the party would have collided with them, surely alerting the monstrous arachnid who spun this web to their presence. "A ssspider has laid itsss web here. It ssseemsss likely at leassst one of my kin went thisss way, but I doubt they made it passst. We ssshould go back and go around..."

The party has not yet seen the threatening monster, but if desired you could fight through the webbing and not have to back track. What do you do?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan freezes at Ssayth's hissed warning, her raised arm freezing mid-motion in an effort a stray lock of her usually-frizzy hair that, weighted down by the humidity, was stubbornly drifting down across her face and frequently into her mouth, further complicating the swampy trek. Wide eyes following the lizard-man's pointing claw, she tugs the hair out of her face and squints into the marsh. "Well... if we press on, maybe we can save your kinsman from the bug? A big bug, I'm sure, but...?" She looks up at the other members of the party, her gaze finally resting expectantly on Frederick.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

The party heads south, led by Frederick who makes an active effort to keep high spirits. "Surely, with Ssayth to guide us, we will return with your companions safe in tow, soon!" He trudges away from the keep with a too-cheerful-to-be-real expression, that quickly fades back into his typically stoically grim facade.

For several minutes, he plods at Ssayth's heels, both the most trusting of the Lizardman and also the most likely to serve as vanguard should a threat arise. It quickly becomes apparent that he is not dressed for this. After stumbling over an unseen root for the third time, he calls a quiet halt. It doesn't take him long to remove his greaves, and only a few extra minutes to rig a leash securing them to the base of his pack. Thus, clanking slightly more than usual, he resumes- at least with the ability to feel where his feet land, since he often can't see it.

His mood sours quickly as biting insects begin to probe the sweaty rivulets running in the various creases of flesh- especially under his plate. Several times he slaps a thigh only to find that his armor protects the pests even more than it does them. Scowling, he trudges on, becoming increasingly irritable as chafing and sweat prove to be an unreasonably effective means of slowing the bulky Heironean. Still, more than a few times, he finds himself hauling Jan over and through slow-moving streams of near-stagnant water and bodily passing Olofire to Lydia to get him across a particularly gnarly bundle of mangrove roots. Amearin gets a helping hand at least as often, though his height proves surprisingly significant. Just when Frederick thinks it can't get worse, it begins to rain. "Ah, blessed relief!" he gasps, as the cool droplets provide momentary respite- earning yet another unreadable glance from their reptilian guide. When the brief storm passes through and leaves a sudden spike of humidity and reduced visibility in its wake, the paladin understands- and begins grumbling all the more emphatically for it.

Ssayth calls the sudden halt, and Frederick falls almost to a knee. He looks up angrily before turning his gaze as directed. The sudden risk of danger does wonders for his attitude, giving him both an immediate and existential threat to focus upon and perhaps an outlet for his anger. As Jan makes her comment, Frederick looks back and grunts acknowledgment. "Does going back and around mean more steps? I vote through."

20. - Top - End - #140

NecromancerGuy

Ssayth turns and hiss-whispers at the party. "The Twisssted Branch can move fassster than we can. Thessse tracksss are hoursss old. Any of my kin who fell for thisss trap are well passst sssaving - dead of the ssspider venom," he tells them, without any sign of remorse for the dead lizardfolk. "Going back will take usss an hour to get sssafely away and around. There isss a grove of mangrovesss where we can ressst ahead, passst the websss. If we hurry, we can make it there before the sssun sssetsss," he says, looking at Frederick for a response.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

"Unless someone speaks up before I find it," Frederick grunts- his words accompanied by the quiet rasp of his blade being drawn from its sheathe- "we're going through." He takes a heavy step forward, beginning to scan the trees and brush for a spider the size of a horse.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The oppressive heat and humidity have done little to improve Lydia's mood, and she finds herself snapping at Frederick more forcefully than she intends, "You vouch for him as a guide, and now you want to ignore his first warning?? There isn't much daylight left, anyway. If we go around we can reach the grove before nightfall - what do we gain by risking an encounter with a giant, venomous spider??" She leans wearily on her spear, looking to Olofire and Amearin for any indication of agreement.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan visibly blanches at Ssayth's matter-of-fact pronouncement regarding the fate of his unfortunate kin. Swallowing down her own apprehension, she looks from Frederick to Lydia uncertainly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    With the prospect of saving any lizardmen seeming slim, Jan is not inclined one way or another.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah...my vote will always be against running into spiders."

Amearin's eyes wouldn't stop moving. Ever so slightly, he would move his head to the left and to the right...checking and looking.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"We gain avoiding whatever else we'll find instead and a few extra hours in this hellhole. As you just mentioned- there isn't much daylight left. Backtracking means spending who knows how long trying to avoid a web at least as large as the fort we just left behind. Who knows how much further it goes, one way or another? Blasted waste of damned time is what we avoid..." He scowls even deeper than before, but isn't foolish enough to plow into the webs by himself. Instead, he takes up position back behind Ssayth, grumbling about hauling Gnomes around for the rest of the day.

26. - Top - End - #146

NecromancerGuy

From the fatigued grumbling of the rest of the party Ssayth takes cue that they would prefer to go around, in spite of Frederick's more vocal complaints. Without speaking he doubles back about a quarter of a mile and begins leading the party on a route around the giant arachnid. It is only after they are well away from the spider web that the party notices the sounds of the swamp return from an absence they had all missed...

About a half hour after the sun has set, before it is too dark to travel, but only barely, the party arrives at the mangrove patch Ssayth mentioned. "We can ressst here, up off the wet earth," he says, directing the party up into the roots of the trees. "I will ssset sssome ropesss with bellsss on them to alert usss if anything approachesss from the dark - we ssshould ssset watchesss, but it isss hard to sssee from inssside the trunksss."

Over the next several minutes the lizardfolk scurries about the grove, moving much faster alone than he could leading the party. It is clear that he is in his native habitat and comfortable in the swamp, in spite of its many hardships. He then helps the party members to set camp, taking particular care with their food. "It mussst hang from the tree branchesss - otherwissse animalsss may get it...if not the wormsss..."

Speaking of hardships, there is no dry wood to be found for a fire, even if one could be lit in the unusual campsite. The air remains humid and hot throughout the night, a perfect environment for the many flying, biting insects plaguing the party. Getting a good rest is made easier by some of the equipment provided by the soldiers, especially the fly netting, but it is still an unpleasant night. Ssayth's snares go off only once in the night, and after several moments the lizardfolk can be heard, hissing, "Gatorsss - we are sssafe up here," before rolling back over and returning to sleep.

The next morning dawns foggy - it is impossible to see more than about fifty feet through the mists that rise with the sun. The air remains muggy, and everyone who didn't use some sort of magic to endure the elements wakes already drenched in sweat. For his part, Ssayth seems unaffected by the climate, perhaps as a result of his reptilian nature. After a quick meal, taken from the safety of the mangrove branches (where it was undisturbed), the party is ready to begin.

Ssayth takes several moments to scout about, returning with a confident nod and leading the party to a series of tracks. "Ssseveral of my clutchmatesss passssed thisss way about two daysss ago. They were clumsssy and broke branchesss as they russshed towardsss their lair," he explains, pointing out his findings to anyone interested. Then, without further discussion he begins walking in a southerly direction, continuing to skirt the most difficult terrain as best he can.

Similar to the previous day, however, the travel is hard and exhausting. By lunch it is clear why the soldiers don't patrol into the marsh, when it rains again, only this time for several hours. The swamp becomes nearly impassable, but at the insistence of the party Ssayth keeps guiding them deeper toward the Twisted Branch lair. "We will not make it there today," he says, after the rain begins to lessen, but not stop, in the late afternoon. "We are lucky there isss no river between the fort and the clutch. With thisss rain it would be too dangerousss to crosss."

Several minutes later, Ssayth calls for a stop again. "Twilight Sssand!" he says, his voice heard by the party but not carrying due to the rain. He then points into a clearing, where a band of a half dozen lizardfolk can be seen prowling towards the west. "They live along a river bank to the eassst - thisss isss a hunting party. Ssstay low and we can let them passss before we continue. They will not enter Twisssted Branch territory."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick's grumbling subsides into a dull static of displeasure as he trudges uncomfortably and heavily through the murk and mire. The sudden onslaught of sound prompts an irritated and confused scowl at the trees, followed by a series of suspicious glances back the way they came. He calls a brief halt before inspecting the phenomenon further.
    Show
    I'm assuming nothing will come of sense motive and perception checks, as this comment didn't prompt a break in your post. Still, Frederick would want to take some time to make sure they weren't being followed.
    Still irritated, and perhaps more confused than satisfied, the trudge on.

His feet fall heavily on the relatively dry earth near the mangrove patch. From a position seated near its edge, he watches Ssayth set the alarm bells with a curious eye. It's impossible to witness his lithe, comfortable movement without appreciation, though it does little to improve Frederick's own opinion of the swamp. Still, this is what swamp life looks like. It isn't glamorous, but neither is mining back in Diamond Lake...

He takes first watch, his grumbling lessened by a few minutes of cleaning and massaging his abused feet. He leaves them bare for now, after getting help from Lydia to remove his heavy plate and hang it on a broad tree limb as a makeshift mannequin.

Sweating profusely, Frederick stirs with a grumble. The fog does little to help his attitude as he crankily chews some hard tack and dried cheese into submission. For several minutes, his attitude is bolstered by the sign of their quarry's passage. As the rain begins to fall, his scowl returns and his gauntlets come off to wipe the ever-present trickles of water from his eyes. They push on doggedly, unwilling to waste time no matter the unpleasantness of the deluge.

Frederick drops low at Ssayth's warning, planting his hands like a racer, able to run forward at a moments notice. He begins to slowly ease his pack to the side and checks the positioning of his blade's haft when he finally spots the indicated lizardfolk. "Are we in their territory?" he gruffly demands of Ssayth in hushed tones. He scowls about the ground, not understanding his guides words.
    Show
    I also don't understand what you mean, DO. If we're traveling south, the lizardfolk live to the east and are traveling westward, our paths of travel are roughly perpendicular. I don't follow how their trajectory doesn't lead them to Twisted Branch territory, unless we're already in theirs.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At the sudden hushed warning from their guide and Frederick's adoption of a ready stance, Jan instead stoops to rest both hands on her knees, breathing heavily from the prolonged effort to manage the uncertain terrain. After several seconds catching her breath, she rises to her full height to peer through the foliage at the band of lizardfolk. "I could draw them off with an illusion- is there some kind of animal that they'd rush to hunt if they heard it?" The gnome yanks the frizzled and matted mess of her hair out of her face before raising her hands in a gesture of preparation...

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The morning dawns hot and oppressively humid, just the like the day before. And the night. It takes all the concentration Lydia can muster to make it through her morning prayers, supplicating Heironeous for strength and wisdom against the trials ahead. "Here," she pronounces as she rises to rejoin the others. "I can't do anything about the wet, or the insects, but this should help with the heat. Gather around..." She utters an incantation and a thin aura settles into each party member (save Ssayth), shielding them from the extremes of the climate. "There's one more thing - I have a spell that can help us tread on this muck as though it were solid ground. It'll only last about an hour, though- best to save it until it's needed."
    Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Lydia will cast Endure Elements, Communal to give everyone the benefits of Endure Elements for ~4.5 hours. When it expires, she will recast it once for a total of ~9 hours of protection.

The other spell she's referencing is Water Walk. It can affect 5 allies for 50 minutes each but she'll only have 2 castings of it prepared (3rd level spell).

Lydia hunches low with the others at Ssayth's warning about the approaching hunters. She tries her best to remain still and quiet, ignoring the ever-nagging insects as she waits for the lizardman's response to Jan and Frederick's questioning.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire is very quiet for the first part of the journey as he still contemplates and regrets his actions against Ssayth back at the fort. But he follows the group thankful to not cross through the webs.

When Ssayth warns everyone to duck, he puts his hand on his scalpels just case he needs them. He really hopes to not have to fight again, but will if necessary.