New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

Round 5

Hoping to dwindle their numbers, Olofire reloads his sling and attacks Lydia's prey!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Sling Attack at H3
    Attack (1d20+10)[11]
    CC x2 (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage (1d3)[1]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 4, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 7, Ref 13, Will 5, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +13 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +12 (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +12 (1d4+6, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Shield, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Condition None
    Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    Extracts prepared: CLW 1/1, Expeditious Retreat 1/1, Shield 1/2
    Panache 3/3

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As Lydia takes a new position to better defend the party Jan leaps up and casts one of her signature spells, hitting two of the harpies with a blast of colorful illusion. Though both shrug off its effects, one hisses at the gnome angrily. Frederick, using a dagger, viciously stabs the fleeing harpy, dropping the monster to the ground as it begins to bleed out. Olofire tries to hit the disabled harpy with a sling stone and Amearin does the same with a ray of cold magic, but both miss their mark.

Seeing one of their flock mortally wounded and another only a hairs breadth away, the remaining creatures begin to fly away. Frederick slashes at the one nearest him, dealing a very real wound to it, but the harpy gets control of her flight and flees with her remaining sisters. Several moments later the remaining trio have fled out of sight, the tree canopy and darkness making them impossible to see.

End of combat. Well done!

Ssayth retrieves his javelins and inspects the downed harpy. "Sssshe issss dying but not yet dead. What sssshall I do with her?" he asks, looking to Frederick for direction.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    The only thing carried by the harpy is a normal morningstar. Their treasure is back in the Twisted Branch Lair.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Well fiddlesticks!! blurts out Jan at the fleeing harpies. "Filthy feathered hags!" she calls out spitefully. "I figured for sure I could get one of 'em, at least."

Finally mastering her own irritation, the sorceress puffs a lock of hair out of her mouth, taking a second to smooth her traveling clothes and bring some semblance of order to the tangled frizzle of her hair.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Sssshe issss dying but not yet dead. What sssshall I do with her?"
    "Hmmph. Whatever we do to her is likely nicer that she was gonna do to us. 'Least she had a fair fight, none of this midnight lullaby garbage." She glowers contemptuously at the fallen foe before her eyes drift in the direction of the still-enlarged Frederick.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I propose we do nothing," Lydia intones grimly. "Let them bear the consequences of their cowardly ambush."

"Is anyone else injured? Heironeous willing, I can still manage a few spells, but this little sortie has cost us much-needed rest, as well as the element of surprise. They now know our location, they know our numbers, and they have the advantage in this terrain. We risk another ambush by remaining here tonight... Any suggestions?"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick's breathing grows slow and steady, if heavier than normal. As he stands over the fallen Harpy, his glower softens and something resembling pensivity settles over his face. After a moment, he nods.

"We are in no position to pass impartial judgement, and she brought it on herself. Leave her or don't. I don't care." He turns aside from the singular fallen foe, pondering Lydia's words.

"Surprise or not, we are in no shape to press on this night. Let's rest as well as we can; the fight tomorrow will be strenuous."

6. - Top - End - #186

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire nods his agreement with Lydia and Frederick, not wanting a repeat of what he did to Ssayth just a couple days prior.

We will be useless tomorrow if we don't rest while we can. Before we sleep does anyone need attending? Amearin?

Spoiler: Healing
    Show

Anyone that needs healing, prioritizing Amearin, can use my CLW extract for (1d8+3)[7].

7. - Top - End - #187

NecromancerGuy

Ssayth nods without showing much expression on his reptilian face. With a decisive motion the lizard first slits the harpy's throat and then lifts the body to carry it out into the marsh away from the camp. "We cannot have itssss body here - it will attract sssscavengerssss. The ghoul troopssss don't come thissss closssse to the Twissssted Branch lair, but wild animalssss will," he explains as he walks away. A couple of minutes later he returns, saying nothing more.

After the party settles back to sleep the rest of the night passes without incident. In the morning the marshland is quiet and a bit cooler than the last several days. With the rain stopped and the clinging mist a bit lighter, the silence of the surrounding swamp begins to weigh on the party, as if the wilds knew violence would come that day. Ssayth breaks camp and leads the party to within a half-mile of the entrance. After giving them directions he says, "It issss unlikely the harpiessss returned to the lair lasssst night. They ssssaw me and know I am an outcasssst now, but their loyalty to the Twissssted Branch issss only becausssse they had a ssssafe nesssst insssside. They are clever enough to know that the nesssst would not be ssssafe today...Do you have any lasssst quesssstionssss before you go?"

The entrance is close and won't be hard to find. Now is your chance for any final intelligence gathering from Ssayth and the time to set the marching order. If you feel you had more questions to ask that involve more discussion it can have taken place during the morning walk - just let me know what you want to know.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia plants her spear in the ground with a soft squelch and leans on it slightly. "No, I think the information you've given us about the lair and its inhabitants should be sufficient. Although, where will you be while we are in the lair? We'll need your help returning to the keep, and we might be carrying wounded soldiers with us."

When all questions have been asked and the party is ready to part ways, Lydia turns again to their guide. "I'll admit I had my doubts at first, but you've kept your word, Ssayth. If all lizardfolk had your sense of honor - humans, too, for that matter - this world would be a better place. We'll hold up our end of the bargain to finish this with as little loss of life as possible."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

To the side, hunched over his bag, Frederick freezes suddenly while listening to Lydia casually describe the hours to come. After a moment,his motions resume, all familiar- almost robotic: One tightly-wrapped bedroll lashed to the base of the bag gives it stability, as he casually dumps the small vessel of conjured water used to clean his face and shave clean the last two days' worth of stubble, stowing it in its place among his other mundane tools. He rises, shouldering the pack and favoring the cleric with another appraising and thoughtful glance.

Somehow seeming perhaps more appreciative, the paladin nods at the unlikely pair, joining Lydia in waiting for a response to her only question. He grimly acknowledges her praise of his character, pleased that his previous assessment holds true- at least for now. "Though you probably don't need it, you have my word as well."

Once they know how to contact Ssayth on the back end, Frederick straightens up, stretching his back a little in a deliberate arch. "Now then, Olofire. Are you content to watch out from behind me, or do you really want to tromp ahead on your own?"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan shudders involuntarily at Ssayth's matter-of-fact handling of the fallen harpy's final disposition. Shaking off the momentary discomfort, she waves away offers of healing. "They didn't get their claws in me, thanks to you all! Now... to get a mite more shut-eye..." she trudges off toward her makeshift shelter.

Jan gives a sour face at Ssayth's description of the harpies' behavior. "Cowards. But, maybe that means your clutch mates won't see us coming, though? If we get the jump on some of them, maybe we can subdue a few without any more unpleasantness than necessary." Jan eyes their reptilian guide expectantly.

"In any case, I know where I'm gonna be walking." The gnome walks up to stand beside (and just a little behind) Frederick, reaching one tiny hand up to pat his hip, the gesture reminiscent of a child patting the neck of a horse due to the disparity in their sizes and builds.

11. - Top - End - #191

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Although, where will you be while we are in the lair?"
    Ssayth gestures vaguely around them. "I will find a placccce nearby to watch for your return. No one exccccept one of the druidssss - Hisssshka or itssss sssstudent Sssshessssht - will be able to find me. If they come looking, I am likely dead anyway," he says flatly.

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "Cowards. But, maybe that means your clutch mates won't see us coming, though? "
    "The harpiessss are sssscavengerssss firsssst and hunterssss lasssst. They would patrol at night ssssincccce they could ssssee in the dark and we can't. Bessssidessss, when a hunter issss bessssted they do not sssstick around for a ssssecond try - they avoid death. That issssn't cowardicccce - it issss the wissssdom of the sssswamp," he replies with a shrug, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

12. - Top - End - #192

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Once they know how to contact Ssayth on the back end, Frederick straightens up, stretching his back a little in a deliberate arch. "Now then, Olofire. Are you content to watch out from behind me, or do you really want to tromp ahead on your own?"
    Thanks to Ssayth here, we know the layout of the lair and you know our plan on how to we want to go about this, correct? I see no need to go ahead and scout this time. We will follow your lead.

Olofire continues to create extracts for the day and before the last one he asks, Ssayth, do the other Lizardfolk speak common as you do?

Show

Preparing extracts for the day
    1 CLW
    1 Shield
    1 Expeditious retreat
    Depending on Ssayth's answer either another Shield or a Comprehend Languages Extract.

13. - Top - End - #193

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    Ssayth, do the other Lizardfolk speak common as you do?
    Ssayth is silent for a moment, presumably thinking. "I have never sssspoken to any of the Twissssted Branch exccccept in the dragon tongue. I ssssusssspect both Sssshukak and Hisssshka do, though - Sssshukak wassss a gladiator before returning to the Misssstmarssssh and Hisssshka issss wisssse," he answers noncommittally.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "The harpiessss are sssscavengerssss firsssst and hunterssss lasssst. They would patrol at night ssssincccce they could ssssee in the dark and we can't. Bessssidessss, when a hunter issss bessssted they do not sssstick around for a ssssecond try - they avoid death. That issssn't cowardicccce - it issss the wissssdom of the sssswamp,"
    Jan eyes the lizardman with narrowed eyes and a confused expression. She opens her mouth as if to speak, but the unspoken question dies on her lips. Instead she gives their reptilian guide a winsome (albeit lopsided) grin and a shrug of the shoulders. "'When in Grayhawk, do as the Freemen do', am I right?" She chuckles for a moment before lapsing into silence.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

As Frederick listens to the questions and back-and-forth, he silently gestures to the straps on his full plate to get Lydia's help. When it becomes apparent that there is nothing or little more to gain, they've finished the donning process and he nods resolutely. "Let's go, then. I'll lead the way, but stay close. Jan, you've got that spell to knock 'em out, right?" When she nods, he continues. "Make good use of it. I won't hesitate to put them down if we have to, but I gave Ssayth my word to protect as many of his kin as we can. I mean to do just that. If you'd like, I can carry you until we arrive.

Finally, I will be grateful for any defensive magics you all can provide. I tend to prefer asking questions when the enemies have yielded, but that'll be harder than usual.
    "

In near-silent testimony to his intentions, Frederick leaves the broad, enchanted blade strapped between his shoulder-blades, its handle extending just over his left shoulder. Instead, he checks his gauntlets and readies a simple steel shield and warhammer. Once he's confident the grips are in place and suitably tight, he begins trudging heavily in the direction indicated by their guide. "I can't see much through this helm," he grunts, already breathing a little heavily from the combined efforts of thick mire and heavy armor. "Keep your eyes peeled, everyone."

16. - Top - End - #196

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Finally, I will be grateful for any defensive magics you all can provide. I tend to prefer asking questions when the enemies have yielded, but that'll be harder than usual."
    Frederick, I do have a couple potions that might help. One condenses the air around your person with divine magics to make things harder to connect, the other gives you hard calluses all over your skin so that anything that does connect may not actually penetrate anything vital. Truly they have the same benefit just a matter of how you get them and for how long.. Are you or is anyone else interested in these?

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

I have a potion of Barkskin and a potion of Shield of Faith up for grabs.
    I might want one for myself just in case.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Finally, I will be grateful for any defensive magics you all can provide. I tend to prefer asking questions when the enemies have yielded, but that'll be harder than usual."
    "Since you mention it... hold your shield still." Coming forward, Lydia places her hands atop the symbol of Heironeous and mutters a brief prayer. As she finishes, a silver aura pulses twice from the shield before receding back into the metal. "That should help."

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Cast magic vestment to give Frederick's shield a +1 enhancement bonus to AC for 5 hours.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-03-31 at 07:12 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198

NecromancerGuy

The party gets prepared and receives final directions from Ssayth about how to find the entrance to the Twisted Branch lair before heading south towards the mangaroo grove. "I will find any patrolssss outsssside and draw them away from you," says Ssayth as he all-but disappears into the swamp, instantly hidden from sight and sound as he presumably does what he can to ease your entrance into the lair.

The tribe makes their home in a slightly elevated part of the swamp. Even with the lizardfolk guide's directions it takes them several minutes to find the entrance. They are not harassed and no alarm can be heard, so Frederick enters the tunnel with the others close behind. Once inside the hidden entrance it is clear that these are not entirely naturally occurring tunnels. While the "walls" and "ceilings" are made up nearly entirely of thickly grown-together tree roots, limbs, and other organic material, the floor is mostly smooth and clear of debris. It is incredibly wet, though, with water nearly constantly dripping down from the overgrowth above and leaving tiny puddles everywhere. Mosquitoes start biting immediately and the heat is suffocating (not mechanically). In the dim light of the entrance you can see that there is enough space between branches for air to circulate throughout the area and even see signs of tiny swamp animals living in the "walls" of the lair. Further in it looks darker and darker, suggesting that a light source will be needed very, very soon. The omnipresent sounds of moving air, dripping water, and creaking wood make it hard to hear very far.

How do you proceed? Ssayth has warned you of a guard alcove near the entrance and described the rooms and layout well enough for you to use this map to place your PCs and give me an idea of your actions. Do not place them below the dotted line near the entrance and describe any stealth checks or other actions so I can properly adjudicate the lizardfolks' reactions, please.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"By the gods, it's like swimming through midair." Even the usually-stoic Lydia has to remark on the intense heat and humidity as the groups begins journeying through the natural "tunnel". "Here, this will help. Gather 'round... this should last for a few hours, Heironeous willing." She makes the now-familiar incantations for endure elements, communal and the party feels the oppressive heat subside, a little.

"Ssayth mentioned that a guard was stationed just up ahead." She uses a lower voice as the end of the tunnel comes into view. "If the harpies did not return here last night, we may still have the advantage of surprise. We need to silence the guard quickly and decisively. Frederick and I can do that if we rush him, I think. Unless... does anyone else have an idea?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick tromps at the fore, a scowl developing as they struggle to find the entrance. "He said it would be here!" With an expression suddenly suspicious, he continues. "Have we been betrayed? What if- oh, hey. Here it is. Nevermind." His anger evaporates, though the pervasive humidity refuses to follow suit. Lifting aside the overhanging greenery, Frederick allows Olofire and Jan to carefully peer and then step inside before following them into the tunnels.

His breathing almost immediately seems heavy- not labored, but like the thickness of the subterranean air takes greater force to accommodate. He nods, grateful, in response to Lydia's ministrations.

Looking down the tunnels, he frowns. "I won't have any trouble seeing in the depths, but doubt I can catch anyone much by surprise. If I hurry, we might be able to keep them from sounding an alarm, but if Olofire sneaks.... "

He turns to the little alchemist. "Do you think you can see well enough to do it? I figure there'd be torches if the Lizardfolk needed them, so we need to assume they can see just fine without. Lighting our own might as well announce our presence to anything that sees the flickering."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That question is as much for DarkOne as AlbinoBrow. Is low-light vision of notable value down here, and can we get clearer parameters of how far we (myself included, w/ darkvision) can see?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan softly says, "If I can get close enough, I might be able to take out a couple... or... Invisibility!" The gnome looks up at Frederick in sudden eagerness! "If this guard post is the worst of it, then sneaking up on them might be worth just a few spells, if it buys us an opening the whole rest of the way. What do you think??" The gnome casts an enthusiastic grin about the assembled group.

Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 5, Init 4, HP 37/37, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 11, Fort 2, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 23
    Condition Mage Armor: 1 hr, +4 AC
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-04-05 at 08:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia crosses her arms and studies the diminutive physician a moment. "Hmm... If the doctor thinks he can do it, then I guess it's worth a try. We'll be right behind you, and we'll come running at the first sound of struggle. Here, this may help." Muttering a few words, she casts a spell to enhance Olofire's weapon with supernatural sharpness and accuracy.

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Cast magic weapon on Olofire's weapon of choice (scalpel?). +1 atk & dmg for 5 minutes.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Looking down the tunnels, he frowns. "I won't have any trouble seeing in the depths, but doubt I can catch anyone much by surprise. If I hurry, we might be able to keep them from sounding an alarm, but if Olofire sneaks.... "

He turns to the little alchemist. "Do you think you can see well enough to do it? I figure there'd be torches if the Lizardfolk needed them, so we need to assume they can see just fine without. Lighting our own might as well announce our presence to anything that sees the flickering."

Show
    That question is as much for DarkOne as AlbinoBrow. Is low-light vision of notable value down here, and can we get clearer parameters of how far we (myself included, w/ darkvision) can see?
    Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Jan softly says, "If I can get close enough, I might be able to take out a couple... or... Invisibility!" The gnome looks up at Frederick in sudden eagerness! "If this guard post is the worst of it, then sneaking up on them might be worth just a few spells, if it buys us an opening the whole rest of the way. What do you think??" The gnome casts an enthusiastic grin about the assembled group.
    I can do that and would appreciate the aid of your spell, Jan, if you don't mind. Before he heads out he grabs his scalpel and feels the weight of it in his hand. Without looking up he says, I will try my best not to injure them too much per our agreement with Ssayth. I owe him that much. However, it may be difficult to accomplish. Hitting them hard enough to incapacitate them yet not kill them, as we saw at the keep, won't be easy.. That being said, I will choose all of you over them if it comes down to it. He looks up into the eyes each of his companions with a stern look, and then nods. He puts the scalpel back in its sheath by his side and grabs his Sap.

If we are ready, Jan? If you don't mind.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Whether or not Jan casts Invisibility on Olofire, he will sneakily make his way down the hall looking for the guard and potential traps.

Stealth (1d20+13)[21] Does not include invisibility bonus if given.
    Perception (1d20+10)[28] an additional +1 vs. traps.

If I find any traps, I would like to silently disable it before the others arrive.

Disable Device (1d20+18)[25] includes +1 vs traps.
    Another stealth roll if needed (1d20+13)[18] does not include invisibility if any.

Spoiler: Stats leading up to guard
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 4, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 19, Touch 15, Flat-footed 15, CMD 16, Fort 7, Ref 13, Will 5, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +9 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +8 (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +12 (1d4+6, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9
    Condition None
    Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 1/1
    Extracts prepared: CLW 1/1, Expeditious Retreat 1/1, Shield 2/2
    Panache 3/3

Once he comes up to the guard, Olofire will drink his mutagen before attacking.
    ADD +1 TO ATK AND DMG TO SAP PER LYDIA'S MAGIC WEAPON SPELL
    Sap attack Piranha Strike (1d20+9)[19] nonlethal
    CC (1d20+9)[20]
    Damage nonlethal (1d4+2)[3] Crit damage (1d4+2)[4]
    Sneak attack nonlethal (3d6)[5]

If this doesn't drop him and he tries to make a run for it AoO will be a Bite attack with Piranha Strike:

AoO Piranha Strike Bite (1d20+9)[17]
    CC (1d20+9)[26]
    Damage (1d6+8)[12] Crit damage (1d6+8)[11]
    Sneak attack (3d6)[9]

Spoiler: Stats after reaching guard
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 6, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 23, Touch 17, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 15, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +9 (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +10 (1d4+6, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 23, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 9
    Condition None
    Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 0/1
    Extracts prepared: CLW 1/1, Expeditious Retreat 1/1, Shield 2/2
    Panache 3/3
    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2020-04-06 at 11:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick frowns. "It's probably not best for anyone to go alone..." He looks down at Jan with a thoughtful expression. "Little one, if you think you can, perhaps you should become invisible yourself and go with Olofire. Your spell would probably be the best solution, assuming more than one guard is on duty."

He watches Jan consider the dangers. "We'll be close behind, but if I go first, they'll surely hear me coming. We might lose our chance for surprise, and be forced into a more pitched battle than we want."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan furrows her brows in a moment's thought before nodding in tight-lipped resolve. "I can do that. Don't dawdle, though, if a ruckus breaks out!" She jokingly wags her finger at the paladin towering over her.

Turning to see that Olofire is already creeping silently down the swampy corridor, Jan gestures and murmurs almost inaudibly before taking several steps after him. She seems to fade into nothingness, the only signs of her passing in the disturbed surface of the standing water here and there on what passes for a floor.

Show
    Casting Vanish for 5 rounds of invisibility and stealthing after Olofire: Stealth (1d20+26)[38] (includes +20 for instability while moving, but not any circumstantial penalty from the water on the ground, though presumably she's trying to avoid the worst of the puddles).

Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 5, Init 4, HP 37/37, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 11, Fort 2, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 23
    Condition Mage Armor: 1 hr, +4 AC
    Vanish: 5 rds of invisibility

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick nods shortly before turning to lock eyes with Amearin and Lydia. "Give it 30 seconds," he murmurs. Closing his eyes, he listens intently while his mouth moves silently over the count.

Show
    Either ~5 rounds after Jan leaves or at the first audible sign of combat, Frederick will lead the other three towards the anticipated guard's post. His haste will depend upon the reason.

If moving after 30 seconds, he will attempt to do so quietly (lol): (1d20-7)[5] stealth
    if moving because he hears the sound of conflict, he'll be hurrying. Based on the map, that puts AL/14 one move action away. If that's enough to close with an enemy: (1d20+9)[27] warhammer to the business for
    (1d8+4)[6] damage

If it's not, he'll hold up at AK/15, and the above rolls can become a potential AOO.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

What is this place? Smells like back end of the bad side of town...and the BUGS Amearin grumbles to himself.

The rest of the part talks about sneaking up on the guard...Amearin couldn't sneak up on his brother while sleeping, so he let the more...agile...members of the part go forward, but not before helping them out.

Show

Cast Message pointing towards Jan

Spoiler: Whisper (DC 25 perception)
    Show
    I can whisper to you and you can whisper back. Let us know what you see!
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

NecromancerGuy

As Jan and Olofire creep deeper into the roots and brush they quickly find that the dim light behind them makes it hard to see what is in the darkness in front of them. Jan's low-light vision helps, but Olofire is nearly immediately creeping blindly. However, with a hand from Jan and an urgent motion to stop him before he gives himself away, the two are able to sneak up on a pair of lizardfolk in the guard post. Jan whispers (using the message-spell) to let the others know what she is about to do before casting her cascade-of-light at the two reptiles. Neither are prepared and both go down in a heap!

After letting the rest of the team know and telling them to bring light, the party is able to get to the guard post quickly and quietly without any alarm being given.

You now have two unconscious lizardfolk. Is the plan to bind and gag them? Let me know your actions with them.

I recommend you look at the map and make a plan - there are multiple routes through the lair. How do you want to get where you want to go?

From this point on, you will need some sort of enhanced vision or light source to see. If you have darkvision you are free to travel anywhere inside without issues of sight, but even low-light vision is limited outside of the rooms on the outer ring. The hallways are completely dark, but the rooms I note on the map generally have some dim light coming through the roots and overgrowth. If it is not labeled, assume it is either totally dark or lit by the lizardfolk - you will have to explore the inner rooms to know which.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia comes trotting up with the others upon Jan's pronouncement of victory. The glow of a light orison upon her spear shaft casts jumping shadows upon the wall of vegetation and helps to dispel the gloom, somewhat.

"Well done, you two! Here, Frederick - help me bind their hands. And muzzle them - those teeth could make short work of any rope. Amearin, take their weapons and hide them outside the tunnel. Let's see..." Rising from the bound lizardfolk, she turns to consider Olofire and notices his sap still in hand. "Doctor, do you think you would be able to... incapacitate them further? Keep them alive per our agreement with Ssayth but make sure that they won't come to for a few hours - the last thing we need is them alerting the rest of the lair."

When the unconscious guards are fully dealt with, she stops to recall the layout of Ssayth's crudely sketched map. "Let's see - the harpy's lair should be down that way," she points east, "and Ssayth believed that they wouldn't have returned. Down there just leads to a garbage pit," she points west. "The most direct route to Shukak would be through this southern passage here... according to Ssayth there's a narrow passage that leads almost all the way to the king's quarters. If we took it we might be able to reach him without engaging any other lizardfolk. But, we'd be at a disadvantage if we were discovered and forced to fight pinned in to such a cramped space..." She frowns and stares off into the distance, fingers tapping on her spear as she thinks.

"I have my own opinion but I'd like to hear the rest of yours. Should we try for the narrow passage to the south, or go through the harpy chamber to the east, or something else?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick hurries in, just a few paces ahead of Lydia. He assists with the bindings, mostly pulling and tugging the ropes snugly against the incapacitated lizardmen. He scowls for a minute before nodding to Olofire- no doubt it would be an unpleasant headache when they woke up, but it might be deadly for both the party and more of the lizardfolk if they woke up before the party was ready. "Do it."

That settled, he follows along with Lydia's gestures. "If we can verify that the harpies stayed away, I think we should do our best to go directly towards the king. It may be worth repeating this-" he waves a hand at the downed guards- "process, in the central living area, but with sufficient haste and luck, we may not have to kill anyone but the snake's head." Doubt casts an odd expression over his confident appearance. Otherwise, the broad-shouldered paladin waits for others to comment.