New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC AoW - Encounter at Blackwall Keep (PF) (Take 2)

A huff of breath escapes through Frederick's nose, as Amearin announces their foe's awareness. He sets his jaw in a grim expression, and takes a moment to sheathe his warhammer. "Now, we give them clean deaths," he grumbles, partially in response and partially to himself.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 1
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin 5 (Variant Barbarian Multiclass), Level 5, Init 1, HP 44/44, Speed 20
    AC 25, Touch 11, Flat-footed 25, CMD 19, Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 6, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Magic Falchion +1 +10 (2d4+7, 18-20/x2)
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    MW Composite Longbow (+3 str) (40 standard arrows) +6 (1d8+3, x3)
    Full Plate +1 Heavy Steel Shield(+10 Armor, +3 shield, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition Lay on Hands: 5/5 (2d6, removes fatigue)
    Smite Evil: 2/2
    Divine Bond: 1/1
    Rage: 6/6
    Magic Vestment: +1 enhancement to shield, <5 hours

A: Sheathe warhammer. Move to AL/26.

B: Alternatively, if double-move is preferable, move to AH/27. To be discussed in groupme.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Over the course of the next minute the party hustles, casting spells and preparing for combat as they move through the dense root-tunnels. Frederick stays in the lead, using his darkvision to accurately move along the uneven path with Olofire taking the rear guard. Though the armored knight is noisy, his determined stride and the unprepared lizardfolk combine to allow the inhabitants of the lair too little time to react - the party gets to the last fork (T29) without additional (obvious) incident...until they encounter the snake from before.

As Frederick turns the corner the enormous viper raises itself up, prepared to strike, and hisses loudly. At the same time, in rough common, a rasping, reptilian voice calls out, "Wait! It will not sssstrike firsssst - only if you attack it. Come thissss way, pleasssse! I offer ssssanctuary until you leave my nesssst again," from down the tunnel, towards the rooms held by the tribe's hermaphroditic shaman.

This is not railroading - you can easily defeat the animal companion and ignore the druid's request for parlay if you wish. It might even put you in a stronger bargaining position.

You can also stop and go into the druid's portion of the lair. This may cause some buffs to expire, but I am willing to be flexible with the way you use your time while there. It won't be long in any case - the Grease spell and dead Assassin Vine will cause a stir among the Twisted Branch and not all of them will honor the shaman's offer of sanctuary.

What do you do?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We've no time for this!" Lydia cries from the back of the group. "Amearin, tell it why we're here. Frederick, if the snake won't move, cut it down!"

Amearin gulps and nods before quickly responding to the shaman in its native tongue.
    Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    We've come to free the Twisted Branch from the treacherous wyrm, Ilthane. To do this, we must stop Shukak. If you value your peoples' lives, keep them back from us!

(Amearin's Diplomacy was 18, rolled in OOC.)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-04-28 at 09:15 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick takes one calm, slow step forward. His grip is a gesture that promises the potential of violence, but the obvious lack proves his intention of restraint. He interposes himself squarely between the snake and Amearin, his gleaming falchion held aloft with the relaxed stance of ready confidence.

For a long moment, he stands sentinel watching the snake, waiting for the Druid's response.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I figure taking a standard action/full round to not attack the snake is my most reasonable attempt at social intervention.

(1d20)[3] +18 for intimidate, +7 diplomacy (assist?)

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan lets out a breathy huff of annoyance at the unintelligible, hissing, reptilian speech of Amearin. "We have no time for this!" she calls out to the unseen speaker in Common. "We want as little blood shed as possible, but your chieftain is dominated by that dragon, and won't submit! Let us deal with him, and our quarrel with your clutch will be over!!"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+12)[25]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

6. - Top - End - #246

NecromancerGuy

There is a moment of pause, heavy with tension and stress. The PCs cannot tell how many lizardfolk may be coming from behind, but the shaman and its animal companion do not attack or move out of the way. "You wissssh to...'cut off the head of the ssssnake,' then?" it asks, emphasis on the phrase as it considers the PC's words. "Wisssse, but firsssst pluck out the head'ssss other "eye." You killed one back at the keep. I cannot sssstop the resssst of the Twissssted Branch unlesssss you kill the other firsssst. Come thissss way. I have your friendssss in my chamber. We can deal with Kotabassss and then you will attack Sssshukak.

Pleasssse?
    "

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 12
    Show
    Hishka is saying that you killed one of the lizardfolk King's lieutenants (the cavalier on the turtle) back at the keep. He has another here that will threaten you from behind if you don't deal with him first.

It also claims to have some of the prisoners in its chamber. You can see them and ensure they are safe/well before continuing, if you wish.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 17
    Show
    The shaman is on the level and telling the truth.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 22
    Show
    It is concerned that you may hurt its animal companion but doesn't want you to leave a dangerous threat behind you as you attack the Lizardfolk King.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 27
    Show
    The shaman is deliberately attempting to negotiate in a way that fits you as mammals by mentioning the prisoners. It's motives are more pragmatic and reptilian (and less social), but its normal manner of thought and speech would not help it convince you to do what is best for the Twisted Branch or itself.

This is actually encouraging - it means that it really wants you on the same side.

The shaman has not directed the snake to back down. You remember Ssayth mentioning Kotabas before. What do you do?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia pushes her way to the front as the shaman is speaking, earning an indignant "Hmph!" from Amearin. She frowns thoughtfully as it finishes speaking, taking a quick moment to gather her thoughts. "I- I think it speaks the truth," she says quietly to the others. "Don't ask me why, but it's really desperate for our help, otherwise it wouldn't have mentioned the prisoners."

She nods to herself, quickly making up her mind and already beginning to formulate a new plan. In a louder voice addressed to the shaman, "Right! We agree - Kotabas first, and then Shukak. We won't harm the others unless they force us to. Lead the way!"

As she readies herself to follow Hishka back into its lair, she catches Amearin and asks in a lower voice, "That spell with the slippery effect, can you cast it again? When the rest of the tribe catches up I need you to keep the off of us - harmlessly if you can, but do what you have to do."

Amearin crosses his arms and sniffs haughtily. "Oh ho! Now who needs who's help? Don't worry, I'll keep em busy!"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    Lydia pushes her way to the front as the shaman is speaking, earning an indignant "Hmph!" from Amearin. She frowns thoughtfully as it finishes speaking, taking a quick moment to gather her thoughts. "I- I think it speaks the truth," she says quietly to the others. "Don't ask me why, but it's really desperate for our help, otherwise it wouldn't have mentioned the prisoners."

She nods to herself, quickly making up her mind and already beginning to formulate a new plan. In a louder voice addressed to the shaman, "Right! We agree - Kotabas first, and then Shukak. We won't harm the others unless they force us to. Lead the way!"

As she readies herself to follow Hishka back into its lair, she catches Amearin and asks in a lower voice, "That spell with the slippery effect, can you cast it again? When the rest of the tribe catches up I need you to keep the off of us - harmlessly if you can, but do what you have to do."

Amearin crosses his arms and sniffs haughtily. "Oh ho! Now who needs who's help? Don't worry, I'll keep em busy!"

Wait! What?! There's no time! Frederick?

Olofire looks up to his tall friend gritting his sharp fangs, hoping for guidance.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

While Olofire trusts Lydia, this seems very backward to him. So he is looking to Frederick.

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 6, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 23, Touch 17, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 15, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Scalpel (dagger) +9 (not transformed) (1d3, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (Bullets) +10 (1d3, x2)
    only while mutated, Claw +10 (1d4+6, x2)
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 23, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 9
    Condition Mutated for another 28:54
    Mutagen Prepared: Dex +4, Wis -2, +2 Nat Armor 0/1
    Extracts prepared: CLW 1/1, Expeditious Retreat 1/1, Shield 2/2
    Panache 3/3

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2020-04-30 at 05:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick growls quietly, decidedly nonplussed by the development. He listens with obvious impatience and without understanding as Amearin and the snake converse, and watches his allies peripherally to wait for their acknowledgement.

When Lydia speaks, the Half-Orc's eyes narrow, but he listens closely. For several heartbeats he waits, thinking. With a loud sigh, he nods. "I don't trust the snake," he begins. "but I do trust you. We'll go deal with this Kotabas first." He sets off on a new course, striding past the snake as if it's forgotten.

He glances over his shoulder to Olofire. "Faith, friend. There must be time."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We haven't really addressed precisely which buffs are active, but I had planned to use basically all of mine (except smiting is a swift action). So I'll have my bonded weapon bonus going already- for the keen effect.
    Both of his prepared spells are similar short-term/immediate effects, so they're in waiting.

10. - Top - End - #250

NecromancerGuy

Some of the tension in the tunnels deflates as the enormous viper lowers itself to remain coiled in the passageway. As the party follows the shaman's voice into its chambers the snake slithers behind them before turning around to block the way for anyone following them. "Ssssesssskitar will keep anyone from following ussss that way," says Hishka as the party begins to get a good look at the room and its occupant.

This room is different from the others in the lair. Decorations made of wood and clay beads hang from the walls, with an egg symbol the most common element. A small pit of stone and clay holds the remnants of a fire, and several open pots of herbs stand near the fire pit. A pool of water surrounds a cluster of tree trunks in the center of the room. In one corner of the room are two human prisoners, both unconscious and bound. From where you are you can see a male soldier and a female mage, by their clothing. Between you and the prisoners stands a stooped lizardfolk wearing necklaces and bracelets of animal's teeth.

"You are in a hurry - I undersssstand. Magic power decayssss after a time. Kotabassss sssshould be in the next room over. I will go firsssst and hold back the Twissssted Branch while you kill him. Are you ready?" When someone confirms that the party is ready the shaman nods and walks towards an opening in the tree roots, leaving the prisoners behind and trusting you to follow.

If someone wishes to inspect the prisoners you may. Open the spoiler below in this case.

Spoiler: Inspecting the prisoners, Healing DC 10
    Show
    Both prisoners have been kept asleep by roots and herbs fed to them by someone. The woman's hands and jaw are broken, presumably to prevent spellcasting. They should wake naturally and the broken bones can be mended with basic healing magic combined with healing checks to set the bones properly.

Hishka calls out loudly in Draconic as it enters the other chamber, saying,

Show
    "Kotabas! Challengers have come to dethrone Shukak! Come and defend your king!"

A reptilian roar can be heard in response, as another voice, responds to the shaman's,

Show
    "Hishka! You betray Shukak? Then I fight with Kotabas - and Shukak will hear of your betrayal!"

It is clear that the new voice is upset with the shaman, but is not that of the screaming lieutenant. As the party follows Hishka into the chamber they find a room with several thick bundles of roots dividing the room into two smaller areas. The larger area in which the party finds itself has a large sleeping pallet covering much of the floor in the northern part and a half-eaten carcass of a man-sized snake in the southern part. Hishka and the druid from the keep are spitting at each other in draconic, clearly arguing, while the roaring lizardfolk lieutenant enters from behind the bundles of roots. With a brief glare at Hishka he throws himself into a frenzy and lunges at the PCs, initiating combat! The druid steps away from Hishka with a final, hissed threat at her mentor before joining him! Hishka steps past them both and addresses the lizardfolk coming from that direction, stopping them as the battle begins.

All of the buffs you have prepared remain active. Any buffs with short durations (5 minutes or less) have lost six rounds of their duration. No one is surprised. Both enemies act on initiative order 2 (they rolled poorly), so most likely you all act before them. The map is updated.

Roll initiative! Begin combat!

11. - Top - End - #251

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Olofire reluctantly follows the group into the Shaman's quarters and makes sure to get a good look at the prisoners before following to the next room. They appeared to be sedated and the soldier appeared to be mostly unharmed. They mage however, was in worse shape with a broken jaw and a broken hands. While awful, the doctor couldn't help but admire slightly the work they did to make sure she wouldn't cast spells. Still, they will live. And he moves forward to the next room.

Upon entering he notices the druid from the battlefield a few days ago and rushes forward to the other lizardfolk in the room, whom he assumed to be the other "eye", and attempts to strike at him!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Rolled Initiative (22) and heal check (17) in OoC.

Round 1
    Run to (AI,35) and Bite. Does not include any flanking bonus if someone gets there in time.
    Attack (1d20+10)[22]
    CC x2 (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage (1d6+6)[8] + Sneak Attack (if applicable) (3d6)[7]

If Kotaras tries to attack Olofire and misses, I will use one Panache point to enter his space.

Spoiler: Character Stats
    Show
    Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Male N. Good Halfling Alchemist (Chir./Vivis.) 3/Unchained Rogue 2, Level 5, Init 6, HP 32/32, Speed 30 ft
    AC 25, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 15, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +4 Natural)
    Condition Mutated for another 28:24
    Barkskin 28:54
    Panache 3/3

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick marches forward resolutely. He offers a short nod of acknowledgement, and watches as the shaman departs. He takes a moment for one last glance to his companions before following through the open space.

In the chamber beyond, he wastes no time with preparation nor speech. Tightening his grip on the falchion, he lunges forward to bring the fight to the chieftain's lieutenant.

Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    M LG Half-Orc Paladin 5 (VMC Barbarian), Level 5, Init 1, HP 44/44, Speed 20
    AC 25 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 24 22, CMD 19, Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 6*, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Condition Irrepressible: Cha isntead of Wis for charm/compulsion will saves
    Lay on Hands: 5/5 (2d6, removes fatigue)
    Smite Evil: 1/2
    Divine Bond: 0/1
    Grace: 1/1
    Hero's Defiance: 1/1
    Divine Bond, keen falchion: 44 round remaining.

Smite Ko:
    Charge Ko to AH/33:
    (1d20+15)[34] atk (doesn't include buffs from other people)
    (1d20+15)[23] CC (28+)
    (2d4+12)[16] dmg
    (2d4+12)[17] crit bonus

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 1

Amearin weaves a spell and then falls silent, concentrating - suddenly a whirling array of lights and sparks in the form of a dragon erupt from his outstretched fingertips! They careen madly about the room before striking Kotabas, singing him and throwing sparks into his face!

Lydia steps forward and assaults the lizardfolk druid with her spear. "You don't have to die with Kotabas - give up!"

Show
    Amearin's init 17 in OOC.
    Amearin casts snapdragon fireworks (round 1/5), 5ft steps into AF/32, and uses a move action to shoot fireworks at Kotabas:
    (1d4)[2] fire damage + dazzled, DC 17 Reflex save for half

Lydia's initiative 9 in OOC
    Lydia steps to AG/32 and power attacks the druid:
    power atk (1d20+6)[17], dmg (1d8+8)[12], cc (1d20+6)[25] (20/x3), cdmg [Roll]2d8+16[/Roll
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan waves contemptuously at the floor beneath the charging, frenzied lizardman, conjuring into place a transparent slick. "Let's get this over with!" she sighs, in a theatrically dismissive tone.

Show
    Cast Grease, Reflex DC 17, attempting to hit the (barbarian?) lieutenant and the square behind him, leaving Frederick unhindered. I don't think she can catch the druid and the lieutenant in the same Grease.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Janstina Silentall
    F Chaotic Good Gnome Sorcerer, Level 5, Init 4, HP 37/37, Speed 20
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 11, CMD 11, Fort 2, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Acidic Ray Ranged (1d6+1/2lvl, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d3-2, x2, 19-20)
    (+2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 23
    Condition None
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-05-04 at 09:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

NecromancerGuy

Round 1

The party charges into the chamber, surrounding and attacking the raging lizardfolk viciously. Between Olofire's savage bite, Frederick's critical smite, and the fireworks the barbarian bleeds and burns horribly. Then, to stack insult on top of injury he falls from Jan's grease, landing heavily to the floor. His spitting anger is palpable, but his position is dire. He begin to claw and snap at Frederick, his manner more like a crazed animal than an intelligent humanoid. Kotabas' attacks miss, though Frederick can tell one is only deflected by divine providence (the AC bonus provided by his smite evil).

Lydia's attack on the druid misses, eliciting a hiss from the female as it rears up its dorsal crest angrily. Seeing her ally down and in great danger the druid steps away from Lydia's spear and casts a spell. An instant later the entire room turns into a muddy quagmire! As the party sinks into the muck they struggle to find footing and the barbarian flounders, his struggles unaided by the mess.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 17
    Show
    The druid cast Soften Earth and Stone.

Everyone must make a DC 13 Reflex save or be unable to move, attack, or cast spells for 1d2 round. Please roll the duration along with the saving throw. Success means you can move through the mud at half speed, and cannot run or charge in the area shown on the map. Kotabas is in bad shape, prone, and failed his save in the mud. Shesht is still unharmed.

Begin round 2!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Slender (but stretchy) arms windmilling for a heartbeat, Jan manages to steady herself, a broad grin breaking out on the tiny face. With an imperious expression fixed on the reptilian druid, she murmurs once more, forming a scooping gesture with both hands. "Oh, do be a dear, give up and save us the time of subduing you. I think we'd all just as happily not kill you."

Show
    Cast Create Pit on the square formed by AI30 and AJ31, Reflex DC: 18 or the druid falls.
    Pit is 20 ft deep and lasts 6 rds.
    If a Move action will help her to steady another party member, she'll happily do that. Otherwise, sitting tight.

Show
    Janstina Silentall
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 11, CMD 11, Fort 2, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    (+2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Condition None
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-05-06 at 05:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Round 2

Olofire wobbles for less than a second before gaining his footing once more as the floor churns beneath his feet. When he sees that his foe was not as sure footed as himself, he can't help but give a fang filled grin.

Show

Bite attack on prone Kotobas.

Bite (1d20+10)[17]
    CC x2 (1d20+10)[18]
    Damage (1d6+6)[10] + Sneak Attack (3d6)[12]

IF this downs him, run up around the mud to (AH,30) next to druid. If the druid attacks and misses, I am entering the druids space using panache.

IF this does not down him, continue with two claw attacks:

Claw 1 (1d20+10)[13]
    CC x2 (1d20+10)[30]
    Damage (1d4+6)[9] + Sneak Attack (3d6)[14]
    Claw 2 (1d20+10)[20]
    CC x2 (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage (1d4+6)[9] + Sneak Attack (3d6)[14]

If there is an AoO then:
    Bite (1d20+10)[21]
    CC x2 (1d20+10)[26]
    Damage (1d6+6)[12] + Sneak Attack (3d6)[14]

Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    AC 25, Touch 17, Flat-footed 19, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 15, Will 4, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +4 Deflect)
    Condition Mutated for another 28:18
    Barkskin 28:48
    Panache 3/3

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 2

Amearin and Lydia both shift their weight in the nick of time and avoid the worst of the grasping muck. Amearin steps out of the newly-softened clay and weaves a spell: another snapdragon firework goes careening into the prone Kotabas while a ray of icy energy shoots towards the druid.

Spoiler: Amearin
    Show
    5ft step to AF/31, maintain concentration on snapdragon fireworks (round 2/5).
    Move action to zap Kotabas: (1d4)[3] fire damage + dazzled, Reflex DC 17 for half
    Cast ray of frost against druid: touch atk (1d20+5)[7], (1d3)[1] cold damage

Passed Reflex save in OOC. character sheet

Lydia reacts to the druid's hiss with a snarl of her own as she steps out of the muck and retries her attack. "You're not listening! We're here to save the Twisted Branch! Amearin, tell her!"

Spoiler: Lydia
    Show
    Step to AG/31 and power attack druid:
    power atk (1d20+6)[14], dmg (1d8+8)[11], cc (1d20+6)[21] (20/x3), cdmg (2d8+16)[31]

Passed Reflex save in OOC. character sheet

Amearin nods and quickly hisses a shorter version of what he relayed to Hishka, in Draconic.
    Show
    She speaks the truth! Ilthane deceives you - we are here to free your tribe from its influence!
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-05-06 at 08:03 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

As the lieutenant falls, something gives in Frederick. He's too slow to intercede before Olofire's assault shreds the lifeblood from the beaten berserker. "HOLD your attacks!" he demands, watching with empathetic interest as the druid fights to keep its footing.

He glances at Amearin, without understanding the words but recognizing the urgency and intent in the wizard's body language. "Shaman, if you can translate as well," he calls. "For everyone here." He trudges towards the open pit, stepping just to the edge of the mud and sloped ground, with his great blade shouldered for the moment.

"We made a promise to save as many lives as we can. It is up to each of you whether you will be one of them."

Spoiler: Frederick, round 2
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    AC 25 22, Touch 11, Flat-footed 24 22, CMD 19, Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 6*, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 5
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    Full Plate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+10 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Smite Evil: 1/2
    Divine Bond, keen falchion: 44 edit: 43 round remaining.

I'm not precisely trying to demoralize the lizardfolk, but I am trying to clearly impress upon them the severity of the situation and Frederick's desire to limit unnecessary bloodshed - while making clear that he will do what it takes to end the dragon's influence. I know that's a lot to cover in ~6 seconds, so if it's totally unreliable, or takes a few rounds, so be it.

Move to AG/31 (I think? Don't want to risk a reflex save on the pit, so if he has to stay in the mud, he will).
    (1d20+18)[38] intimidate. Hoping for something more like the (1 minute required) influence attitude than demoralize, but obviously the two are related.

20. - Top - End - #260

NecromancerGuy

Round 2

As Olofire bites the strugglin Kotabas, causing the lizardfolk's rage to deflate and his lifeblood to flow out into the mud, Jan conjures a pit into which the druid apprentice falls with a thud. Seeing this, Olofire wipes his mouth and creeps up to the sloping edge, watching the druid for more hostility. None of the other party members' attacks connect, and from inside the pit can be heard the spitting of anger and pain from the druid. When Frederick and Amearin begin speaking, trying to end hostilities, the noises stop. As Olofire looks down he sees the lizardfolk female squatting on her feet and scratching in the dirt, her stance one of defeat and resolve.

Killing Kotabas so effectively and removing Shesht from the fight have taken the wind out of the druid apprentice's sails. Combat is over - she will submit to the guidance of Hishka and allow the PCs to act without opposing them further.

In the quiet after the violent storm, Hishka turns and walks back to the PCs. "When your sssspell endssss sssshe will ssssee to Kotabassss' body. The other Twissssted Branch will leave ussss alone. Do you wissssh to sssspeak with me and heal the prisonerssss, or will you go to fight Sssshukak now?" it asks, walking towards its chambers apparently unconcerned for the scene behind it.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You're sure you can make them see reason?" Lydia pants as the rush of combat endorphins leave her system, peering down the pit at the druid. "Very well. As long as the prisoners are stable they can wait - none of us is safe until we finish dealing with Shukak. Come on, Frederick - let's end this." Her face tightens in resolve, and she casts a spell to bolster her own strength as the group prepares to face the chieftain.

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Lydia will cast Bull's Strength on herself while moving towards Shukak's lair - Q/28-ish.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick nods, grunting curtly. "Let's go."

23. - Top - End - #263

NecromancerGuy

Hishka does not respond to Lydia, instead leading them to where its viper animal companion has been blocking the passage. With a hiss it directs the snake out of the way and then watches the party pass silently, its reptilian eyes betraying no emotion or thoughts.

The party walks past one opening in the tree roots on their right (from whence they came moments earlier) before coming to a small alcove. To the north and west is Shukak's chamber and to the south and west is the tribe's egg chamber. A large knot of roots and earth block the view of the lair of the lizard king, but around either side can be seen daylight - apparently the king's chamber has some natural lighting from above.

I have placed the party on the map. Please apply one move action to your PCs (as you wish) before starting combat. Due to your haste you have only lost an additional four rounds of duration on any buffs. If you wish to do anything more before combat (such as Lydia's spell) apply it now.

I have rolled initiative already so we can begin combat without any further delay. After everyone has applied a move action to enter the room Olofire and Amearin act, then Shukak, and then the party as a block.

Upon entering the chambers of the lizardfolk king, the PCs find a large room with a raised, throne-like area at the western end built out of wood and large animal bones. The ground in front of the throne is dry but appears stained with old blood. Behind the throne is a pool in which you can hear the splashing of fish.

Spoiler: Image of Shukak
    Show

Upon seeing the party enter his throne room, a strong-looking lizardfolk with mottled pattern of black scales, forward sweeping horns, and a finely detailed metallic trident leaps up from where he has reclined. With a reptilian scream the lizard king grows to the size of an ogre as the very sunlight seems to briefly fade. "Adventurers...Well, I've killed your kind before. Come and meet your death on the end of my trident!" he spits, his deep voice lacking the usual lisp of the other lizardfolk.

Spoiler: Linguistics DC 10
    Show
    Shukak learned to speak common in a major city like Greyhawk.

Spoiler: Linguistic DC 20
    Show
    He projects his voice as if used to speaking in an arena. He likely learned Common in the Free City Arena in Greyhawk.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show
    Shukak's Trident is of at least masterwork quality, possibly enchanted. He is also wearing several other items that could be magical in nature.

Begin Combat! (Please call this "Round 0," Albinobrow and MuffinMan.)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Lydia pauses in front of Shukak's chamber briefly to gather the group and issue a brief prayer to Heironeous. "The Archpaladin is with us - may he bolster our courage and bless our righteous mission this day. " As she finishes, a sudden glow of yellow/gold energy shoots up and down the length of her longspear, leaving it wreathed in crackling energy. (Casting divine favor) With a final wordless nod to the others, she rushes into the room!

Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    Lydia will move to O/24.
    Amearin will move to Q/24.

Round 0

As Shukak bellows his taunt both Amearin and Lydia notice different things, and quickly begin speaking over each other. "That accent - it sounds like Grayhawk...!" "Watch the trident! It could be enchanted!" "Grayhawk... That's it! The Free City Arena! He must have been a gladiator!" "Maybe he's got other tricks too - stay sharp!" Each pauses to glare at the other, momentarily, before Amearin breaks off to begin casting a spell.

As he finishes, a billowing yellow-green fog quickly rises out of the ground at Shukak's feet, higher and higher until it envelops even the enlarged chief and the area around the throne. His form momentarily disappears inside the roiling fog bank, and even from a distance the party can detect the nauseating stench of rot and decay.

Show
    Amearin casts Stinking Cloud to create a 20ft radius cloud centered on Shukak. (So, a circle passing through D/23-24, G-H/20, K/23-24, and G-H/27.)

Shukak needs a DC 19 Fortitude save. On failure he's nauseated while in the cloud and for (1d4+1)[3] rounds after leaving.

Spoiler: Amearin
    Show
    Amearin Deh Elf Wizard 5 NG HP 14 / 23 Speed ft Init 8 AC 13 Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 5 CMB +2 BAB 2 Ray of Frost 5 (, x20) Str 10 (0) Dex 16 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 10 (0) Int 22 (6) Cha 8 (-1)

Spoiler: Lydia
    Show
    Lydia Constantine Human Cleric 5 LG HP 43 / 43 Speed ft Init 5 AC 19 Fort 6 Ref 4 Will 7 CMB +7 BAB 3 +1 Longspear +7 (1d8 + 8, x3)
    Longsword +6 (1d8 + 5, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Mace +6 (1d8 + 5, x2) Str 16 (4) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 17 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 8 (-1)

Bull's Strength round 5/50
    Divine Favor round 1/10
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-05-11 at 07:08 AM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Round 0

Olofire quietly responds to Lydia, "I see it too." Not ready to tangle with such a monster, he quickly and quietly runs around the room and just outside of the could Amearin just created.

Show

Olofire is going to use his movement and round to better position himself within the room. I would like to try and hide in J,20 after he's in the cloud.

Stealth to hide (1d20+15)[25]

AoO if available
    Bite (1d20+10)[11]
    CC x2 (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage (1d6+6)[8] + Sneak Attack if applicable (3d6)[9]

Lastly, if he tries to attack me and misses I will use panache to enter his space.

Show

Dr. Olofire Lightouch
    Mithral Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +6 Dex, +1 Size, +4 Deflect)
    Condition Mutated for another 27:54
    Barkskin 28:24
    Panache 3/3

Last edited by Albinobrow; 2020-05-11 at 07:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick strides deliberately behind Hishka. As he steps into the chieftain's oddly well-lit chamber, he eyes the monarch deliberately. "I think not exactly our kind," he grunts. Gripping his blade tightly, he begins to engage.

Spoiler: Frederick, round 0
    Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    Smite Evil: 0/2
    Divine Bond, keen falchion: 44 edit: 39 round remaining.

Move to P/24. Swift action to smite the chieftain.

If, perchance, an AoO becomes applicable:
    (1d20+13)[24] falchion
    (1d20+13)[31] CC (29+)
    (2d6+13)[25] damage (rolled as large, assuming enlarge has gone into effect)
    (2d6+13)[20] bonus

(4d4)[1][3][3][4](11) (if medium AoO somehow happens: each 2d4 is +12)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan tiptoes up to the edge of the pit in which the apprentice druid now crouches in defeat. The affectation of haughty contempt melts away from the gnome's face, and she looks down at the reptilian creature in heartfelt pity. "Poor thing. I suppose there's nothing for it." she murmurs to herself.

With a resolute expression, she turns to pad off after the others as they make their way to the chieftain's lair for the final confrontation. As she goes, she gestures and murmurs a few wordless words, and suddenly a few ephemeral copies of her begin to spring in and out of existence, flickering along with the flickers of light and shadow that play upon the walls.

Show
    On the way to the Chieftain's room, Jan will use her wand of Mage Armor to get +4, and then cast Mirror Image to create: (1d4+1)[4] images for the fight.

Jan makes her blinking way into the chamber, shuffling in behind Lydia and Frederick. She takes in the suddenly enlarged enemy with widened eyes, but quickly those wide eyes narrow with a conniving glee...

Show
    Jan moves into the chamber, but tries to place herself behind the front-liners, but within 10 ft of Frederick's current position.
    Show
    Janstina Silentall
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 11, Fort 2, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Condition Mage armor: +4 AC, 1 hr
    Mirror image: 4 images, 5 minutes dur.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-05-12 at 01:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268

NecromancerGuy

Round 0

With a barking laugh, Shukak makes an exaggerated sound of breathing in the fumes from the suddenly conjured, nauseating vapors. "Bah! You'll have to do worse than that!" he calls from inside the mists. A moment later his trident flies out of the mists, missing Amearin, and then zips around the area until it returns into the cloud!

The map is updated. Begin round 1!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Jan swallows down her surprise at the trident returning unexpectedly to the cloud from whence it came. She murmurs a few words, with a gesture that ends in a pat on Frederick's hip. As the already imposing half-orc's form begins to swell, she murmurs, "Go get 'im, Freddie. Oh, and Amearin?" she gives the scholarly man a sidelong glance. "I don't know who your cloud is gonna help more- us or him." she jerks one stubby thumb toward the unseen enemy within.

Show
    Cast Enlarge Person on Frederick.

Show
    Janstina Silentall
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 11, Fort 2, Ref 4, Will 4, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Condition Mage armor: +4 AC, 1 hr
    Mirror image: TBD images, 5 minutes dur.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2020-05-12 at 02:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Frederick grunts. "Definitely enchanted," he confirms, to Lydia's suspicions. At Jan's comment, a low growl begins in his throat. "Clear the way, Amearin?"

Show
    Frederick Strongarm
    Warhammer +9 (1d8+4, x3)
    Smite Evil: 0/2
    Divine Bond, keen falchion: 44 38 round remaining.
    Enlarge person: a few minutes

Move to L/24-M/25.
    Attack, if he can see the guy:
    (1d20+13)[25] falchion
    (1d20+13)[26] CC (29+)
    (2d6+13)[19] damage (rolled as large, assuming enlarge has gone into effect)
    (2d6+13)[17] bonus

I already looked it up and know that it isn't dismissable. Don't think I want to wade in, anyway.