New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

Solstafir hustled back into the tunnels, the considerable weight on his shoulders not slowing down his step. Dwarves may not have the quick step of other racesbut it takes more than mere encumbrance to impede their movement. He reached for the potion he originally had brought for himself, feeding it to Levyk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Give him my Lesser Vigor. Takes a bit longer, but a guaranteed 11 HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid grabs one of the flasks from her makeshift bandolier and throws it at the giant without a second though. She then grabs her crossbow from the ground.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I don't know what the range increment on throwing things are, so I'm just applying the -4 penalty for not being proficient in throwing them.
    Swift: I'm assuming that retreiving the flask from the bandolier is a swift action since it's readily available.
    Standard: Throw the flask at the giant; Attack: (1d20-2)[6]
    Move: Pick up the crossbow.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid flings the flask of red-tinted liquid at the giant scoring a direct hit! The flask explodes into flame as the liquid violently reacts with air as the brittle glass shatters on impact. The giant roars in pain taking (1d6)[3] damage.

Solstafir hauls Levyk back into the tunnel and applies his potion. Lesser Vigor heals Levyk for 1 HP, bringing him from -9 HP to -8 HP. 10 rounds of healing remain.

The giant, now on fire, roars something as it drops to the ground and rolls out of view attempting to extinguish the flames on its body. Reflex to extinguish the flames (1d20+4)[15] vs a DC of 15.

Spoiler: Status and Conditions
    Show
    Levyk, -8 HP with 10 rounds remaining of fast healing
    Aertre, -4 HP
    Thanquil, -3 HP

Giant:
    rounds remaining on pain: 3
    Pain damage (1d6)[6]

The giant has taken 22 damage.

Players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-01-22 at 08:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

"Keep at it, I'll see it I can get the singer out too." With the ettin not yet seeming wise to their plan Solstafir moved back into the large chamber, quickly hurrying towards the pillar behind which Thanquil's body lay waiting.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid takes a hand off her crossbow and ready another flask to throw at the giant for when shows up in her light of sight.

"Come on! I bet that hurts less than when you hit me earlier!" She shouts at the ogre, hoping to keep his ire on her.

Show

Ready an action to throw another one at the ogre. Attack roll just in case(using the same assumption as the last): (1d20-2)[15]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Geraldo, seeing that Solstafir has already taken off to retrieve Thanquil, decides to try another of the milky potions from the vials, feeding it to Aertre and healing (1d8)[6] HP. (Aertre is healed from -4 HP to 2, Aertre is now conscious.)

The giant, having put out the fire, stands and takes account of its surroundings. (1d20+9)[11] on a 15 or better, the giant clearly realizes the downed adventurers are disappearing. The giant's focus is once again captured by Orchid's taunts and it focuses it attention back on that particular tunnel.

Show
    Levyk -7 with 9 rounds of fast healing
    Thanquil -3

Giant has taken 22 damage.

Players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-02-23 at 03:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

It seemed the group still had some time left to finish their evacuation as Solstafir put the unconscious body of Thanquil over his shoulder. The singer was considerably lighter than Levyk much to his relief and the dwarf hurried towards the nearest tunnel entrance. He'd have to circle a bit through the narrow corridors to rejoin Geraldo, but he judged that to be better than giving the ettin one last chance to see where they were bringing the bodies of their companions.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Forgot to roll PW: Pain

Giant's updated status:
    Rounds remaining on Pain: 2
    (1d6)[1]

Giant has taken 22+pain roll damage.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

"What are you waiting for!?" the former maid shouts from the tunnel, ever ready to throw another flask.

Show
    As per last turn.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2020-02-25 at 12:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Geraldo hustles over to administer another of the potions (4th of the 6 collected, leaving 2 remaining) to Thanquil, healing him (1d8)[2] hp, while doing so he quickly catches up Aertre on what has happened during her brief stint of unconsciousness.

The giant moves and slams both his clubs onto the tunnel, apparently smart enough not to give direct line of sight to Orchid a second time. The first club slams into the stonework with tremendous force dealing (1d10+6)[11] followed immediately by the second (1d10+6)[14]. The stone work cracks substantially and small pebbles begin to fall lose inside the tunnel. One or two more rounds of blows like that and the entire tunnel may come down.

Show
    Levyk -6 hp with 8 rounds of fast healing remaining.
    Thanquil was at -3, now: -1

Remaining duration on pain: 1
    Pain damage (1d6)[4]

The giant has taken 27 damage including pain this round.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-02-27 at 08:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Prompted by Geraldo as he finishes explaining the situation, Aertre administers the 5th potion to Thanquil, leaving one left. Thanquil is healed another (1d8)[1] HP, bringing him to 0 HP. He is now conscious, though Disabled.

All players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-02-27 at 08:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

"Good morning fellas. Surprise, you're not dead. Now if you got any healing potions, scrolls or doodads left better use them, we still got a twoheaded giant to kill." With most of their people able to move Solstafir reached into his extradimensional storage, distributing the looted alchemical weapons as evenly as he could, including Levyk who should soon enough recover thanks to the potion he had given him.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanquil groans in pain as he comes to. He hadn't expected the giant to move so fast when it came at him and he was seriously reconsidering his choices that had led him to this moment.

At Solstafir's words he groaned again and reached into his bag to pull out his last scroll of Lesser Vigor which he then cast on himself (fast healing 1 for 11 rounds).

"What did I miss? If the giants still alive, where are we?"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

"Some tunnels ringing that arena. Rather narrow because the goblins used them so watch your head. Got some fire flasks from an an alchemist they had, grab some if you got nothing better to attack from range."

15. - Top - End - #285

"Thanks for getting me out of there." Thanquil says before looking down at the offered flasks. "I think I'll stick with my bow, I can keep a bit of distance from it that way. Have you explored the tunnels? Is there another way out so we don't have to fight that thing?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

"They go all around in a ring, no exit. There's always the escape stone but we must not chicken out here. Not sure if you picked up on it, that thing said 'not again' when it got ugly. Bet you we're not the first Delvers getting thrust into this meat grinder and if we don't put a stop to it we won't be the last either." The dwarf put on his shield again, his determined gaze focusing on the way into the arena. "This ends today."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

After seeing that the giant wasn't falling for her trick again, Orchid tosses the flask right out side of the entrance to hopefully distract him as scurries back into the tunnel. She tries to navigate to a different tunnel, hoping to find another angle to target the giant.

Show

Standard: Throw a flask right outside the entrance: (1d20-2)[14]
    Move: Move deeper inside, toward another tunnel that won't collapse.

18. - Top - End - #288

Chimera

Aertre coughs, spitting up blood before wiping it from her mouth, and looks around the tunnel at the others. "I heard voices …" she begins, then trails off, shaking her head as if confused.

She pushes her legs beneath her and stands as best she can, hands fumbling in a pouch for a bottle of red liquid, which she downs. "Is it hurt at all?" she asks.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Not sure if anybody used that CLW potion of hers to get Thanquil up. If yes, that red liquid will be wine. If not …

(1d8+1)[7]

"My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

19. - Top - End - #289

"I guess if there's no other way out we should try again to take out the giant. How many entrances to the arena are there? We could all pop out of a different one to attack it and then whoever it moves to attack can duck back in to the tunnels and move elsewhere."

Then to Aertre, Thanquil says "I think I heard voices too... I couldn't understand what it was saying although it sounded malevolent."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid flings the flask just outside the entrance of the tunnel. Flame licks wildly from the reaction of the alchemical substance within's exposure to the air. Orchid hears the giant grunt angrily, likely caught by the edge of the blast, as she starts into the tunnel, feeling the deep vibrations of the giant's clubs slamming into the stonework once again. Based on the feeling, Orchid estimates that tunnel is probably not structurally safe anymore.

On her next action Orchid can check from another tunnel to see if there's a good line on the giant - but it will take a double move to get there if she wishes.

Spoiler: Damage to stonework
    Show
    (1d10+6)[10] plus (1d10+6)[7]

Show
    Levyk -5 with 7 rounds remaining on fast healing
    Aertre should be up to 9 HP now
    Thanquil heals for 1, reaching 1 HP with 10 rounds remaining on fast healing

Remaining Pain rounds: 0
    Final pain damage (1d6)[6]

The giant has taken 28+pain damage.

All players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-03-01 at 04:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Geraldo, seeing as Levyk is still down, moves over to help administer the last cure light wounds potion.

"The giant appeared fine the last time I got a quick look at it. I suspect we still have some work to do."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid shifts through the tunnels as swiftly as she can, trying to find another good tunnel to use against the giant.

Show

Move+Standard: Moving to find a better tunnel.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

"Anyone else got any caltrops?" Solstafir asked, pulling out the three bags he himself brought. Making those was some of the lowest and most monotonous work for those starting out at the Foundry, utilising the lowest quality crude iron they had on stock, usually made from melting down the shoddy gear of Dungeon denizens like the hobgoblins they had fought some time before. "The giant has a much wider frame than us so we can make a field with narrow gaps we can pass through freely but it can't. Also got a tanglefoot bag from the goblin alchemist for you Geraldo. Just do anything to keep it at ranged, none of you can afford to take another hit."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Aertre and Thanquil indicate they have no caltrops and await a finalized plan.

The final goblin alchemist potion administered to Levyk heals for (1d8)[3].

With only Orchid being in potential combat as the rest of the team are safe from the giant, I'll keep updating rounds.

Orchid finds a view of the giant. Based on the spacing, there are 5 total entrances the ring around the central chamber. From her position, she can see the giant due to its large size, however, it has cover from one of the six pillars.

The giant slams its clubs into the stonework once more (1d10+6)[16] plus (1d10+6)[9]. The entrance to that tunnel collapses, reducing the usable entrances to four.

Show
    Levyk -1 with 6 rounds left of fast healing
    Thanquil heals to 2 HP with 9 rounds left of fast healing.

The giant has taken 34 damage.

Players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-03-04 at 08:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

"My healing spell can take around a minute to fully close up any wounds so I'd like to wait a little while before we go back in there. I can move into position at one of the entrances opposite the giant while I wait though. Since you seem to be the toughest, Solstafir, do you want to run in and lay the caltrops while the rest of us provide some covering fire and Geraldo tries to hit it with the tanglefoot bag?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Alright, I'll get into position. I suspect we don't have that much time before it collapses all the tunnels to finish its blood ritual."

Geraldo accepts the tanglefoot bag from Solstafir and attempts to scurry over to one of the remaining openings towards the main room.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

"Fine, but wait with the tanglefoot bag until we're all ready to engage. It will only slow it down for a short time and we have to make the best of it." Solstafir moved back into the chamber, doing his best to remain out of the giant's field of view and ripped open his first bag of caltrops to spread them ten feet from the nearest pillar.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid whistles at the giant from her tunnel and slaps her tail against the wall, trying to get his attention.

Show

If the giant can get to her without double moving, Orchid will ready an action to retreat inside the tunnel. Otherwise, ready an action to throw a flask as he gets close.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir spreads caltrops while Geraldo hurries into position.

Aertre, getting some idea of the plan, begins moving to the final available entrance with intention to use ranged magic to assist in bringing the giant down.

Orchid successfully gets the giant's attention. It seems it is fairly easy to manipulate it in this fashion.

The giant charges towards Orchid as she slips back into the tunnel after realizing she's not safe. The giant furiously pounds its clubs against this entrance dealing (1d10+6)[7] and (1d10+6)[14] damage to the stonework.

Show
    Levyk regains consciousness at 0 HP with 5 rounds remaining of fast healing.
    Thanquil heals to 3 HP with 8 rounds remaining of fast healing.

The giant has taken 34 damage.

Players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-03-07 at 09:02 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid moves to a position that allows her sight of the giant and throws another flask out.

Show

Move action: If nessecary to get sight of the giant if it's possible without leaving the tunnel.
    Standard action: Throw a flask out at the giant or at least in out front of the tunnel. Attack roll: (1d20-2)[3]