New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

You search the Harpy's chamber for treasure hoping to take advantage of the illumination before the orbs of flight all flutter out the high window.

Liselle (1d20+9)[28]
    Orchid (1d20+4)[5]

You discover a loose brick in the chamber, behind which is a glimmering stash of treasure the Harpy had collected.
    1 diamond valued at 10,000gp. (What? It's in the module)
    5 white pearl gemstones valued at 100gp each.
    (gemstones trade for 100% of market value, they can serve as higher denomination of currency in Solum)

An unidentified wand
    A pair of unidentified magical gloves.

Looks like there are no doors from this room other than to descend the staircase again.

The only remaining unexplored/undefeated areas are:
    Gelatinous Cube's room.
    Strange rough hewn room with treasure chest.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-17 at 07:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid's face flushes once the enchantment breaks and remains such as they search through the room.

"L-let's just go to the room with that chest and try that stuff we mentioned."
    Orchid manages to get out.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Liselle's perceptive enough to spot Orchid's embarrassment... admittedly, that's not much of a feat, since it's rather... visible... but having noticed it, she's kind enough to roll with Orchid's attempt to change the subject. "Sure, we just need to see if the zombie's finished gathering the coins yet, and then we can see if the room eats it!"

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

"And if it does I can just make a fresh one," Solstafir said with a shrug as he examined the harpy's corpse before stuffing it into one of his companions' bag of holding given his own wasn't currently with him. Perhaps a feathered cloak? If they kill other monsters with feather wings he could make separate segments on the cloak for each of them. "But let's take the other three corpses into that corridor first, I got an idea for that gelatin thing." Once this was done, he retrieved his zombie and sent it into the room with the treasure chest after taking his magical bag back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You return to the treasure chest room meeting up with the gnoll zombie, who has finished collecting the coppers. The zombie obediently enters the room. Having the zombie simply stand in the room doesn't appear to cause anything to happen.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid watches the gnoll closely.

"Maybe we should just have him open the chest and drag it to us." she suggests.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

"Right. Let's see what that does." The trophy hunter directed his minion to open the chest or failing that drag the whole thing out.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Upon interacting with treasure chest, the mimic collapses itself, chomping down hard onto the gnoll zombie, as the zombie is utterly surrounded on all sides, it's entirely unable to avoid the initial attack:

The mimic deals (1d8+4)[7] damage before DR.

The walls collapse onto the heavy chest as chitinous insect-like legs and antennae emerge from under the chest's lid which now display numerous teeth. The creature screams at you "I HUNGER!" in common. Its voice echoes from the depths of its treasure-chest shaped torso as a tongue emerges to accompany it. Its visage is like something straight out of a nightmare.

Now that the mimic isn't concealing the rest of the room, the room is larger than the mimic could expand to occupy, though it appears to be empty. Maybe the mimic devoured everything that was previously in this room.

Initiative:
    Mimic (1d20+1)[21]

Liselle (1d20+8)[23]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[17]
    Solstafir (1d20+3)[13]
    Thanquil (1d20+3)[9]

Liselle has initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-17 at 02:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

As soon as the Mimic pounces on the Zombie, Liselle's in motion. If she wants to try a proper sneak attack, she has to land the first blow while it's still distracted by the Zombie, after all.

Spoiler
    Show

"Tumble for no AOOs while getting into a flanking position" - (1d20+10)[27]

Liselle's got a flanking bonus from the Zombie, but I don't think she's getting anything else this round, since she can't charge and the others haven't acted yet.

Trading the +2 to hit from Flanking for 2 points of Power Attack, using the Greatsword and her usual opener, the Shadow Blade Technique.

"Attack 1" - (1d20+6)[25]
    "Attack 2" - (1d20+6)[7]
    "Crit Confirmation" - (1d20+6)[25]
    "Damage" - (2d6+8)[14]
    "Sneak Attack" - (1d6)[5]
    "Cold Damage" - (1d6)[3]

Assuming this is the stock mimic from the srd, I also need to make a reflex save to avoid having the greatsword stuck after the attack (assuming it lands a hit):
    "Reflex" - (1d20+10)[30] - including the +4 from Battle Clarity, since Liselle is not flat footed.

Edit: Yeah, Liselle's using the higher attack roll, losing the cold damage but dealing double damage for the critical hit. And since I keep forgetting to state it, getting concealment for having moved more than 5' this turn.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2020-05-17 at 09:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Liselle scores another critical hit (critical hit additional damage: (2d6+8)[17]), striking a decisive blow against the horrific creature.

"I'm so hungry. You look tasty." the creature moans as it takes a 5 foot step, positioning itself against one of the walls as its strange tongue-like appendage lashes out at Liselle.

The mimic attacks Liselle:
    (1d20+9)[14] to hit
    On a 29, (1d20+9)[23] to confirm

On a hit, it deals
    (1d8+4)[7] damage
    On a critical hit it deals (1d8+4)[6] additional damage.

Liselle is able to parry the creature's attempt to lick her.

Spoiler: Status and Conditions
    Show
    Liselle still has 1 strength damage

The mimic has taken 36 damage.

All players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-18 at 10:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

"I confess this is about the last thing I expected to properly communicate," Solstafir said, somewhat puzzled by the mimic's body and speech. It didnt stop him from doing his part in taking down this unusual enemy and he tried to shift its focus away from Liselle with a powerful strike at what he surmised to be its main body.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vanguard Strike
    attack - (1d20+7)[24] slashing damage - (1d10+4)[8]
    If hit everyone else receives +4

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid moves in to join the melee, bringing her scythe down onto the mimic.

"I didn't know mimics could talk at all."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: Move to the mimic, flanking if possible.
    Standard: Attack mimic; Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[16] Damage Roll: (2d4+4)[9]

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir's axe and Orchid's spear come down hard on the strange creature, mutilating it, as its tongue retracts into the treasure-chest like body and strange ichor spills out from the gap between the lid and chest, the creature's legs give out. It collapses and wriggles, gurgling out its final words: "I don't... want to... die hungry." its insect-like legs shudder one final time as it vomits its nasty ichor and a soaked cloth bag before becoming still.

The creature apparently had eaten a Bag of Holding (1). Though the bag is empty, it still has value despite the limited market for it, given that government issued haversacks aren't available to the general public. Perhaps the contents of the bag and whatever else it had eaten were already digested.

It seems the mimic must've eaten everything that was previously in this now empty room.

The only enemy you're still aware of is the Gelatinous Cube in the adjacent room.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-18 at 01:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Bugbear in the Playground

"That was... unlike anything I've ever seen before." Thanquil says. "I had no idea a creature like that would be intelligent. I'll have to research this further when I'm out of the dungeon. Does anyone have a plan for taking out the ooze?"

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sending in wave after wave of your own (disposable) men (gnoll zombies) at the Cube, it reaches its limit and shuts down, collapsing in waves of gooey slime. You can easily recover the 250gp worth of silver, though the rest of the material is trashed.

Your hear a faint whooshing sound and see the portal back to Solum at the end of the tunnel. However, you also notice one of the fuzzballs scurry into the hall. It spots you quickly and turns around to scamper off to wherever it came from. How much harm could those couple of fuzzballs really do, though?
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-18 at 04:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

"Seems we're mostly done here." Solstafir said without any of the relief someone not in the Dungeon willingly would feel; it was just a matter-of-fact statement like someone talking about the weather. He inspected his current zombie. Most of its fur was gone, the skin disfigured by acid burns and the left arm seemed nonfunctional, most of the muscle tissue at the shoulder eaten away. In an instant, it collapsed in a lifeless heap after its thankless service only for another gnoll to rise to take its place.

"Let's take some time checking if we missed anything, but I'd say we got a pretty decent haul. Though far as monsters go nothing close to that ettin from last time."

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I'd suggest we do a pair searching and a pair camping by the portal. I get the feeling that even if there's only small fry left, the folks topside'll probably count it against us if too many of them slip through our exit portal..."

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid nods in response, by how having recovered from her earlier experience. "I wouldn't mind going to look around."

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Does the group split up or stick together to search the area?

If split up:

Going:
    Orchid
    ???

Staying:
    ???
    ???

20. - Top - End - #560

"If there are more of those fuzzballs around we should try and hunt them down, don't want to leave a group of them breeding more. Won't hurt to take another look around the place either."

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir, having less skill at searching than the others, remained at the portal back to Solum.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Count me in for the looting party, too." Liselle was the party's best searcher, so it wouldn't have made much sense for her to stay behind.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid and Liselle begin to re-search the area. Entering back into the rubble passages, you discover the items carried by the halfling laying in a pile. It seems the halfling's soul was also put to rest, but his equipment remained:

Masterwork Leather Armor
    Masterwork Dagger
    Masterwork Shortbow
    (already looted when it was disarmed) Masterwork Hand Crossbow
    Unidentified magical cloak
    Unidentified potion

Peeking around the corner into the area where you previously discovered multiple fuzzball nests, you see a horrific sight. It seems they've been multiplying with the supernatural speed only possible to a creature of the dungeon. There are hundreds of them now (2 swarms), and the writhing masses of fuzzballs are evidently producing more fuzzballs.

They haven't noticed you yet and the nests where they are multiplying are in close proximity. You could take a surprise round and engage, or you could return to fetch your allies... though they may have multiplied to even greater numbers by the time you return.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid takes out a scroll of Web, and tries to activate it on both swarms.

Show

UMD: (1d20+13)[30]

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Reflex DC 13 Web:
    Fuzzball Swarm 1 (1d20+6)[9]
    Fuzzball Swarm 2 (1d20+6)[18]
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-19 at 09:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

One fuzzball swarm is encapsulated in webbing, but the other spills out of the way just in time. They begin squeaking incessantly and aggressively in the direction of the two nearby Delvers.

Liselle may still take her standard action surprise round prior to initiative order.

Initiative:
    Swarms: (1d20+2)[14]

Liselle (1d20+8)[19]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[7]
    For when they get here:
    Solstafir (1d20+3)[10]
    Thanquil (1d20+3)[19]

The party is currently 150 feet apart by the shortest route, which has multiple turns (preventing the run action). Easily close enough that the two at the portal may hear:
    Thanquil's listen DC 5 (-10 DC to hear a battle, +15 for distance) (1d20+7)[13]

Liselle has a standard action in the surprise round, then Liselle and Thanquil have initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-19 at 09:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Nice one!" Liselle congratulates Orchid for taking half of the fuzzballs out of the fight. Then she charges the other half. After all, they may have numbers, but they're only little, right?

Spoiler
    Show

Standard action charge, drawing her Heavy Flail as she moves, and attempting to squish the un-webbed swarm.
    "Attack" - (1d20+5)[21]
    "Damage" - (1d10+8)[11] - Liselle spent her to-hit bonus from charging on Power Attacking.

And since she seemed to have reacted faster than the swarm did, she'd immediately follow up her first attack with another! After all, the whole point of charging was to wipe out the 'free' swarm before the other one can escape the web and try to back it up.
    Spoiler
    Show

For her actual round, switching stance to the Punishing Stance, then attempts her favourite Shadow Blade Technique on the swarm. She's still Power Attacking, but since she has no charge bonus this round, she takes a -2 penalty to her attack rolls.
    "Attack 1" - (1d20+3)[6]
    "Attack 2" - (1d20+3)[14]
    "Damage" - (1d10+8)[14]
    "Punishing Stance damage" - (1d6)[1]
    "Cold Damage" - (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by whoiam; 2020-05-19 at 10:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568

At the sound of a fight breaking out in the distance, Thanquil stops his nervous pacing and sets off at a trot down the corridor. "I can hear fighting, I think the others might be in trouble." he says to Solsatfir as he sets off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move 60ft. In the direction of the fighting
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2020-05-20 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Forgot the mechanics

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Swooping in, Liselle mercilessly pummels the fuzzballs with repeated strikes from her flail, the death toll of fuzzballs is unclear as their corpses become indistinguishable after being smashed together. The few surviving fuzzballs from that group scatter, ducking into the openings in the rubble and fleeing. Looks like melee weapons may not be able to permanently stop their procreation.

The fuzzballs caught in the web attempt to break free. Strength check: (1d20)[2] they break free on a 20.

Spoiler: Status and Conditions
    Show
    Fuzzball swarm 1 is dead.
    Fuzzball swarm 2 is caught in a web.

Thanquil has 90ft left to traverse to join the fray.
    Solstafir has 150ft left to traverse to join the fray.

All players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-05-20 at 08:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid watches Liselle obliterate the mob of the of furballs, observing how they fled.

"I wonder if the acid I'm carrying would be enough to finish those off..."

Looking toward the trapped fuzzballs, she moves in close with her scythe raised and tries to cut through them as though she was a farmer.

Show

Move: Move in range of the trapped fuzzballs.
    Standard: Attack the fuzz; Attack: (1d20+6)[7] Damage: (2d4+4)[10]