New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

"It-t-t-t just bit me" stammered Thaquil as he slashes down with his sword wildly before stepping backward.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Attack one of the Fuzzballs then 5ft. step away towards the rest of the group.

Attack: (1d20+1)[14], damage: (1d8+1)[9]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The heroes mutilate some fuzzballs, vanquishing all of them around Thanquil.

Spoiler: AoO against Solstafir
    Show
    (1d20+4)[13] dies on a 17 or better

The last fuzzball remaining is by Levyk, who still has actions before the fuzzball attempts to devour his toes.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-11-22 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    sorry, had an unexpected busy day yesterday

With an angry look on his face, Levyk strikes at the fuzzball again. He's more angry about himself, not hitting the creature, than about it...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attack (1d20+4)[10] damage (1d10+3)[5]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The fuzzball narrowly avoids Levyk's vicious attack before launching it's counterattack. It opens its miniscule maw as much as it can muster and attempts to chomp on the dwarf's toes. Will it get through his footwear?

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

(1d20+4)[13] to hit for 1 damage

All players may now act.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid moves over to the remaining fuzzball and swings her scythe.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: Move to the remaining fuzzball.
    Standard: Swing her scythe at it. Attack: (1d20+4)[23] Damage: (2d4+4)[10]
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid swipes her scythe, cutting the last fuzzball down.

All of the fuzzballs are defeated. Each character gains 575 XP.

7. - Top - End - #37

Chimera

Aertre shakes bits of fuzz and gore from her weapon, where it had gotten stuck between the spikes. She really hadn't considered the cleaning aspect when she'd selected this in her first days of training. A sword probably would have been easier. Still, she can't help thinking about the satisfying crunch it made as she struck the thing. She grimaced, disgusted with herself.

She turns to Geraldo. "You were saying, the door was safe?"
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"Felt safe enough to me. Don't think we'll ever meet something less dangerous down here," Solstafir said dismissively. He went to retrieve his throwing hammer, wiping away the blood then returning it to its sheath on the back of his shield. He picked up the fuzzball left unconscious by his attack and inspected it with a curious eye, the fluffy creature dangling by a strand of its fur held between his thumb and pointer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The creature is surprisingly round, with scraggly black hair, thick enough to stick out in every direction, giving it the appearance of a ball. It has tiny legs with even tinier claws, not large enough to draw blood against small or larger opponents even if they were used aggressively. The creature's beady eyes are closed but its mouth hangs open, it has teeth including large incisors like a rat, with numerous jagged canines filling the rest of its mouth.

It's a pretty filthy creature. Its own waste is tangled in its fur.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

On seeing that it appears to be safe, Orchid holds her scythe close to her.

"Is this what the rest of the dungeon will be like?"

She takes a deep breath.

"Let's just hurry through the right door. I don't like it here."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The party proceeds through the door to the right, you pass through a long corridor into a large chamber. This room is empty save for a single, small, stone chest crouching in the middle of the floor. There is no decoration or pomp to the chest, no lock or hinge, just a simple stone lid on a stone box. This room is filled with something like dust and cobwebs, coating the stone chest in its quiet solitude, as if it has long been adrift undisturbed in the passage of time.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

When they turned to leave Solstafir tossed the fuzzball through the hole in the wall to rejoin the one he had kicked through the opening earlier. Whatever happened to things dropping off the edge of Solum, falling forever with no ground below to meet them? Well, the tiny creature would soon find out once it regained consciousness, though it probably lacked the mental faculty to understand its fate.

Once in the cobwebbed room he held a harpoon at the ready, eyeing the chest critically. "That has to be the most suspicious chest ever. Though it almost feels more like a sarcophagus."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #43

"These Fuzzballs are a species of vermin native to the Dungeon, I've read about them. Apparently they breed like crazy and if there's a lot of them about some can grow much larger and even act with intelligence." Thanquil says after the last of the beasts falls.

Then he cleans his blade off before sheathing it and following the rest of the group into the next room. He circles round the walls of the chamber examining the stone chest at a distance from different angles.
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2019-11-24 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to add colour to speech

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gross. If it wasn't for how dirty they get I might've wanted one as a pet..."

On entering the room, Orchid looks the chest suspiciously.

"Let's see if there's any magic coming off of it."

Orchid stands a safe distance away and casts detect magic, trying to identify if there are any magic auras coming off of the chest.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2019-11-24 at 10:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid detects no magical auras on the chest or in the room.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't see any magic coming from it." Orchid comments, looking at the chest.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

"Wanna check for traps or just throw it open and see what happens?" Solstafir asked.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll take a look." she states, ceasing to concentrate on detect magic. She then takes a deep breath and moves to the chest to begin looking it over.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Search: (1d20+4)[20]
    Disable Device(if there are any traps of the sort): (1d20+6)[11]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"If there is no magic and if the thing is trapped, then it will be mundane. Let me check this out. I've had some training with disarming traps."

Geraldo cautiously approaches and searches the chest for traps. He appears to also be sniffing the air to see if there are any strange smells or indicators of other vermin. If he finds any traps, he pulls out his masterwork thieves tools to disarm them.

Spoiler: Search Check
    Show
    Search: (1d20+8)[10]
    If necessary (Disable Device:(1d20+10)[26])

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Levyk walks over to the other dwarf, and while the chest is searched for possible traps, he says Take a look at this! It's plain and simple. But the edges and the symmetry... that's nothing you build in a week. followed with much more dwarven love for good stonemason work.

With a look over the chest and at the flames on Solstafir's body Can you burn these webs here everywhere?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Brushing past the cobwebs and dust, Orchid and Geraldo begin looking over the stone box. Orchid catches a glimpse of something reflecting light through the smallest of gaps between the lid and the rest of the chest, identifying a trap - as she examines, she uncovers that it's a set up that will launch projectiles in all directions once the lid is cleared of the mechanism.

Geraldo deftly cuts a string required for the mechanism's activation, rendering it inert.

Lifting the hefty lid of solid stone away, the mechanism within becomes apparent, it is loaded with 8 darts which are easily removed for use later.
    Around the base of the mechanism within the chest lies two identical silver headbands inlaid with pearls and inscribed with a phrase in draconic atop a pile of coins, counting each coin you find a total of 450 gp worth of assorted coins, and three small pearls each 50gp in value also hidden in the pile.

The walls and lid of this stone chest are surprisingly thick for a small chest, roughly 1 foot of stone thick, created all from a single piece of stone. A very solid and weighty item, but without any monetary value.

Spoiler: If you can read Draconic
    Show
    The inscription says "Our thoughts are ours alone".
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-11-25 at 06:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"Sorry mate you're standing close enough to notice the flames don't spread any heat. They only lash out when someone attacks me. Incarnum has a mind of its own." Incarnum had its peculiarities difficult to explain to outsiders, but it was certainly preferable to setting things on fire everywhere he went. "But if some spiders come calling feel free to stand back and let them beat on me, chances are they just burn up without being able to hurt me like those dirty fleabags." Solstafir paused a moment in consideration. "Well, unless it's a really big spider."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"Our thoughts are ours alone." Orchid says, reading the inscription aloud.

"What does that mean?" she asks.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir guffawed. "A bad joke. We're reading the inscription expecting to find some meaning and intention but then they're like 'Nah, ain't telling ya'."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"These things are likely enchanted, wouldn't advise putting them on without identifying them first. I suspect the container being thick enough to prevent the detection of magic was made for a reason. Unless there is a secret exit here, we should probably backtrack and pick a different path. There are 450 gold pieces and 3 pearls here and we can split the loot when we get back. For now, I say we keep moving."

Geraldo puts the darts, gold and pearls into his haversack for now, then he starts searching the room. If there is nothing else in the room, he retraces his steps back to the starting room and creeps towards the center door and searches the doorway for traps.

Spoiler: Search Checks
    Show
    Search current room:(1d20+8)[19]
    Search center door:(1d20+8)[13]

26. - Top - End - #56

"I wonder if the headbands provide some sort of protection from mind reading... or maybe telepathy?" muses Thanquil. "But Geraldo is correct, we shouldn't risk putting them on until we know what they do."

Thanquil follows Geraldo out of the room back to the entrance chamber and with an arrow knocked in his bow, looks round warily for more Fuzzballs whilst Geraldo searches the door.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Finding no secret passages or traps, the groups backtracks into the first chamber, the room is still quite large, and from your new orientation there is a door across from you, one on the right wall, and the left wall features the roaring gap in the wall past which you can see lightning dance among dark roiling storm clouds and rain whistling past at a sharp angle due to powerful winds.

Neither door appears to have any special markings or features, both being the same size and cut from the same sturdy wood.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid watches as the loot is put away and silently follows the rest out, trying to wrap around in her head how detect magic wouldn't have penetrated, until she recalled that enough stone can prevent it from seeing inside.

"Let's try the left next." she suggests, pointing the non-bladed end toward the leftmost door.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds good enough to me. I'll take point." Solstafir opened the door, confident out of the six of them he was best equipped to withstand whatever surprise awaited behind.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

With his axe still drawn, Levyk awaits what will surprise them behind this door.