New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

Orchid turns around and gives the portal an amused smirk, as if she was imaging that being the origin of the voice itself. "Hey Solstafir, that voice is saying he'd promise more loot if you killed us all and beat the passage on your own. Can you believe this guy, thinking you'd stab us in the back for money?"
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Moving forward (assuming Solstafir is neither homicidal or suicidal) the group exits the Dungeon through the portal, once more experiencing the disorienting sensation of suddenly being in another place.

You're greeted by the large columns supporting the tunnel back to the yard, through which you march victorious. An elderly gnome hobbles up to you and ushers you to the appropriate bureaucrat, a dragonborn with an intense glare who appears to have lost some of the skin on the side of her snout leaving her teeth constantly visible. A strange sight to see underneath her round hat.

She extends a claw wordlessly collecting your papers and then tapping on a small emblem emblazoned object on her desk, which glows softly displaying something like an illusory screen. Her commanding presence somehow makes it obvious that it would be better to wait for her to speak first.

While this is happening you notice the tiny merchant hidden behind the bureaucrat's desk. A very short kobold wearing a crystal monocle and a puffy jacket adorned with feathers and gems. His yellow eyes meet yours and his tongue briefly flicks out as he smiles. You know it's meant to be friendly, but the fangs of dragon-folk are always a bit off putting.

After several seconds of her looking at the magically produced image, she speaks. "Congratulations on your return. Please provide all collected treasure to be counted and identified by the merchant, and report on what creatures you faced.

As usual, the merchant offers to lump sum purchase the non-magical equipment for a price of 500gp and takes particular interest in the Divine Scroll of Raise Dead and Unhallow, offering you 6,500gp for the scroll (offers do not have to be taken together).

Once the haul and kills are recorded, the dragonborn bureaucrat dismisses the kobold merchant, who smiles, nods, and departs a ways.

Now alone with the bureaucrat and out of ear shot of the rest she states "If there were any unusual occurrences during your delve, please describe them in detail now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid tells the bureaucrat about the party's second encounter with the voice.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Having been filled in, the dragonborn bureaucrat's eyes deceive some kind of excitement as her pupils dilate as she is told. "Thank you for your honest report. You should expect a letter bearing the royal seal. When you receive it, please be aware that the information contained within is for your eyes only and not to be shared with anyone."

You're then dismissed to your homes, where you each receive a letter bearing the royal seal the next day. The letter is a summons to the King's castle. Following the orders you each travel across the land of Solum to the castle where you are welcomed warmly. Servants, prepared for your arrival guide each of you to lavish personal quarters until the entire team has arrived.

Finally, you're lead to an outrageously gaudy meeting chamber where two regal humans wearing clothes fit for royalty meet you. A man with well groomed blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin, and a woman with long curly red hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. The woman's outfit reminds you of emblems emblazoned on the bureaucrats' uniforms, though she wears no hat.

The man steps forward and introduces himself. "I am Atticus, prince of Solum and third in line for the throne. I've summoned you here to make you an offer. I want to kill the Infernal Voice, and you are going to be my champions to do it. You didn't only survive one of its games, it contacted you a second time. It will contact you again. You will figure out how to force it to reveal itself and kill it, even if you have to play its games to discover its secrets. I will get the glory. In exchange, I offer you power." without a breath he claps his hands and says in a commanding voice "Camilla."

The woman with the red hair moves and picks up a silver tray on which four crystal drinking glasses are filled with a strange amber liquid. "This potent elixir will grant you great power. If you choose to drink, you will be in agreement to cooperate with us to this end, and we will provide additional elixir as we are able."

Do you drink the elixir?
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-07-24 at 10:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

After Atticus introduces himself Thanquil bows deeply and listens intently to his proposition. After being offered the Elixir he ponders for a moment and then takes it and says.

"From what we've experienced of it so far, the Infernal Voice is only making the Dungeon more dangerous. If we can take it out an make the Dungeon safer then it would be our duty to do so."

With that he drinks it down in one long draught.

"What can you tell us of the voice? I've tried doing my own research but I have found little information surrounding it. It would be good to know more about what we're going up against."

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanquil feels the power of the elixir surge through his body.

Atticus leans forward "All I can tell you about the Infernal Voice is that it is like a deity in the Dungeon, and I want the glory of having my champions slay it. That's why I've designed this elixir. I believe with its power, we can do it.

Thanquil gains not one, but TWO bonus feats from the following list:
    Blind-Fight, Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Endurance, Eschew Materials, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Skill Focus, Toughness, Weapon Finesse.

If you choose a feat you already possess, you may retrain the original iteration of the feat without cost (as per retraining rules, so the new feat must have been qualified for at that level).

Add 1 point to Thanquil's Action Points.

If the other characters drink, they get the same reward.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-07-25 at 09:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid fidgets a little seeing the elixirs- something ringing some alarm bells in her head. "I wasn't aware that we had the ability to produce potions that could provide immediate power." she comments, eyeing the potions. "If you wouldn't mind, I think I would like to postpone my choice."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If possible, Orchid wants to roll spellcraft to try some guesswork on those potions. Spellcraft: (1d20+13)[14]

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid looks at the elixir with a very discerning eye. It's not a potion, it's a... something. Orchid is unable to determine what this is or the precise effects it will have presently.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir was still fuming after the others refused to face the Death Door. He lived for the challenge and their perhaps biggest one yet was denied to him because he was paired with people who'd rather make some safe runs into the Dungeon than face the music. He went as far as scouting the taverns for new more like-minded companions with no luck. Turns out, when describing a 'fictional' scenario closely resembling their expierence almost everyone seemed to take it as a given that the obvious course of action would be to take their plentiful loot and return to Solum. All of three people chose the Death Door. Two of them he wouldn't expect to live long enough in the Dungeon to ever make that decision and the third one, well... She chose neither option, she just wanted to clear out a section of the Dungeon to make her living there and escape her abusive family.

He contemplated the prince's offer but his mind was already made up long before he spoke. He wanted to face the Voice's challenges or even itself again and the royalty giving his chicken companions incentive to do so suited him well enough. "I'm in. But I will claim its skull or whatever else suitable it has. Take whatever credit for organizing this mission you want, what I kill is mine."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Liselle, for her part, had been rather torn on whether to drink or not. On the one hand, after their last delve she hadn't exactly been feeling great about her performance... but on the other, this sounded very much like the sort of agreement that would leave her stuck delving long past the end of her sentence.

Then Solstafir spoke up, and brought up a point she hadn't even considered yet: To agree would be to bind her fate to that of the creepy dwarf. At least if she wasn't committed, there was the chance she'd get to serve part of her sentence in a party that didn't contain him...

"I... will pass, thank you, Sir." Liselle seemed as awkward as ever in the high-class surroundings, but she was at least trying to be polite.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Atticus folds his hands in front of his face, concealing his expression when he sees half of the party unwilling to accept the elixir. "Very well. Mr. Rockeby and Mr. Bazaratek, I will provide you the support I can from here. As far as its physical carcass, if it has such a thing, I'm happy to bequeath it to you as long as the Infernal Voice is proven to be utterly destroyed. If you parade its corpse in the streets of Solum as a gruesome display of your victory that suits my purposes well enough." He stands up abruptly, the gaudiness of his gem-studded clothing still quite over the top. He sweeps back his blonde hair with one hand and shows his pearly white teeth with a beaming smile that almost twinkles "I pray for your victory in battle." he turns and slides silently and gracefully over the lush carpeted floor out of the meeting area.

Camilla, who remains in the room, moves with the tray supporting the two remaining doses of elixir and sets it back where it was originally, adding "Given that we still have two doses, we may have to seek another team of Delvers to sponsor. Given that imbibing too great a quantity of elixir too quickly can result in adverse effects, we aren't able to share this with you at this time without agreement to cooperate. Orchid, Liselle, should you change your mind and decide to dedicate yourself to this mission of true heroism, please contact me." She instead produces four rock-like objects each emblazoned with a magical glyph. "You can use these to reach me. They are communication devices, though they aren't instantaneous and will not function while you are inside of the Dungeon."

You each get an item that can cast something like Whispering Wind once per day. The differences being that it can only transmit words and the only choice of destination is Camilla's receiver.

You're then summarily dismissed from the castle, as hospitable as they were to start, it almost feels like you got kicked out.

You've advanced to level 4 and may spend XP during your stay in Solum. What do you do?

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

In town you find the following for sale:

Spoiler: Trader
    Show
    Arcane Scroll (Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (375 gp), Magic Circle against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law (375 gp)) (total 750 gp)

Banded Mail (Medium) (+3 armor, Electricity Resistance) (27400 gp)

Dwarven Waraxe (Medium) (+4 weapon) (32330 gp)

Heavy Wooden Shield (Small) (+4 shield) (16157 gp)

Oil of Invisibility (300 gp)

Potion of Bear's Endurance (300 gp)

Potion of Eagle's Splendor (300 gp)

Potion of Shield of Faith (+2) (50 gp)

Ring of Chameleon Power (12700 gp)

Ring of Improved Swimming (10000 gp)

Rod of Cancellation (11000 gp)

Rod of Wonder (12000 gp)

Shortbow (Small) (+5 weapon, Frost, Unholy) (128330 gp)

Staff of Conjuration (36 of 50 charges) (46800 gp)

Staff of Frost (33 of 50 charges) (37125 gp)

Staff of the Woodlands (23 of 50 charges) (46575 gp)

Wand of Bull's Strength (47 of 50 charges) (4230 gp)

Wand of Cure Serious Wounds (12 of 50 charges) (2700 gp)

Wand of Eagle's Splendor (7 of 50 charges) (630 gp)
    This ornate yew wand also grants the magical ability to charm snakes.

Wand of Silence (1 of 50 charges) (90 gp)

Spoiler: Armorer
    Show
    Buckler (Medium) (+3 shield, Acid Resistance) (27165 gp)

Buckler (Medium) (+3 shield, Arrow Catching) (16165 gp)

Buckler (Small) (+4 shield) (16165 gp)

Chain Shirt (Medium) (+1 armor) (1250 gp)

Darkwood Buckler (205 gp) (Medium)

Full Plate (Medium) (+1 armor) (2650 gp)

Full Plate (Medium) (+1 armor) (2650 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Medium) (+1 shield) (1170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Medium) (+5 shield) (25170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Medium) (+5 shield, Improved Fire Resistance) (67170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Medium) (Mithral) (+2 shield) (4170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Small) (+1 shield) (1170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Small) (+3 shield) (9170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Small) (Mithral) (+3 shield, Sonic Resistance) (27170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Small) (Mithral) (+5 shield) (25170 gp)

Heavy Wooden Shield (Small) (+4 shield) (16157 gp)

Spined Shield (5580 gp) (Small)

Studded Leather (Medium) (+1 armor) (1175 gp)

Spoiler: Weaponsmith
    Show
    Bastard Sword (Medium) (+1 weapon, Shock) (sheds light) (8335 gp)
    A battered weapon, engraved with the holy symbol of a war god.

Bastard Sword (Medium) (+3 weapon) (18335 gp)

Bastard Sword (Medium) (+3 weapon) (18335 gp)

Dwarven Waraxe (Medium) (+1 weapon) (sheds light) (2330 gp)

Dwarven Waraxe (Medium) (+3 weapon) (18330 gp)

Gauntlet (Medium) (+4 weapon, Spell Storing) (sheds light) (50302 gp)

Greatsword (Medium) (+3 weapon, Merciful) (sheds light) (32350 gp)

Heavy Mace (Medium) (+1 weapon) (2312 gp)

Light Mace (Medium) (+3 weapon) (18305 gp)

Longsword (Small) (+3 weapon) (sheds light) (18315 gp)

Nunchaku (Small) (+2 weapon, Shock) (18302 gp)

Rapier (Small) (+4 weapon, Throwing) (50320 gp)

Rapier of Puncturing (50320 gp) (Medium)

Shortspear (Medium) (Adamantine) (+4 weapon) (sheds light) (32302 gp)

Sling Bullets (50, Medium) (+2 weapon, Seeking) (18300 gp 5 sp)

Sword of Life Stealing (25715 gp) (Medium)

Spoiler: Alchemist
    Show
    Marvelous Pigments (4000 gp)

Oil of Greater Magic Weapon (+2) (1200 gp)

Oil of Greater Magic Weapon (+3) (1800 gp)

Oil of Greater Magic Weapon (+5) (3000 gp)

Oil of Magic Stone (50 gp)

Oil of Magic Stone (50 gp)

Potion of Cure Light Wounds (50 gp)

Potion of Greater Magic Fang (+3) (1800 gp)

Potion of Greater Magic Fang (+3) (1800 gp)

Potion of Mage Armor (50 gp)

Potion of Mage Armor (50 gp)

Potion of Magic Fang (50 gp)

Potion of Neutralize Poison (750 gp)

Potion of Owl's Wisdom (300 gp)

Potion of Resist Cold (10) (300 gp)

Potion of Shield of Faith (+4) (600 gp)

Potion of Spider Climb (300 gp)

Silversheen (250 gp)

Spoiler: Scribe
    Show
    Arcane Scroll (Animal Growth (1125 gp), Lesser Planar Binding (1125 gp), Persistent Image (1125 gp), Teleport (1125 gp), Circle of Death (2150 gp), Binding (8500 gp)) (total 15150 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Deep Slumber (375 gp)) (total 375 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Deep Slumber (375 gp), Dispel Magic (375 gp), Vampiric Touch (375 gp), Arcane Eye (700 gp)) (total 1825 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Dispel Magic (375 gp), Major Image (375 gp), Protection from Energy (375 gp)) (total 1125 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Fly (375 gp), Secret Page (375 gp), Shadow Conjuration (700 gp)) (total 1450 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Keen Edge (375 gp), Summon Monster IV (700 gp)) (total 1075 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Magic Weapon (25 gp), Eagle's Splendor (150 gp)) (total 175 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law (25 gp)) (total 25 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Touch of Fatigue (12 gp 5 sp), Detect Secret Doors (25 gp)) (total 37 gp 5 sp)

Divine Scroll (Bane (25 gp), Summon Swarm (150 gp), Stone Shape (375 gp)) (total 550 gp)

Divine Scroll (Blade Barrier (1650 gp)) (total 1650 gp)

Divine Scroll (Death Ward (700 gp)) (total 700 gp)

Divine Scroll (Detect Snares and Pits (25 gp), Cure Moderate Wounds (150 gp)) (total 175 gp)

Divine Scroll (Magic Fang (25 gp), Lesser Restoration (150 gp)) (total 175 gp)

Divine Scroll (Mass Inflict Critical Wounds (3000 gp)) (total 3000 gp)

Golem Manual (clay) (12000 gp)
    This book is bound in blackthorn plates inlaid with electrum.

Golem Manual (flesh) (8000 gp)
    This impressive compendium is written upon paper and bound in carved wood plates.

Manual of Bodily Health (+2) (55000 gp)

Spoiler: Wandwright
    Show
    Wand of Bull's Strength (41 of 50 charges) (3690 gp)

Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds (33 of 50 charges) (2970 gp)

Wand of Cure Serious Wounds (13 of 50 charges) (2925 gp)

Wand of Cure Serious Wounds (25 of 50 charges) (5625 gp)

Wand of Daylight (10 of 50 charges) (900 gp)

Wand of Dispel Magic (27 of 50 charges) (6075 gp)

Wand of Eagle's Splendor (38 of 50 charges) (3420 gp)

Wand of Hold Person (heightened, 4th level) (13 of 50 charges) (5460 gp)

Wand of Knock (49 of 50 charges) (4410 gp)
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-07-29 at 02:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #733

After returning from the meeting with Atticus, Thanquil throws himself into his research. If he was going to take out the Infernal Voice he would need to find a way to force it to reveal itself. He mentioned briefly to his parents that he'd met with the prince and been tasked with a mission from him directly and they were over the moon with excitement. They tried insisting on throwing another lavish celebration but Thanquil told them he didn't have time and he needed to work on his mission.

He started by using some of his new found regard to expand his parents library further and hire additional researchers to help. From there he began his research into what the Infernal Voice could be and anything remotely similar. He sought out accounts from other delvers where possible and otherwise researched the nature of deities and of devils. Knowing that this wasn't a task he would be able to complete without assistance, Thanquil also sought out other divine casters. He wants to build relationships for now with the intention of trading them to help him scribe scrolls at a future date.

Show
    1000xp on expanding library (2000xp total)
    499 xp on researching the voice (499xp total)
    500 xp on building relationships with other casters (particularly druids, rangers and paladins) (1000xp total)

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Following the meeting Orchid returns home, eager to get away from the bureaucracy of the city and back into the now familiar territory of her lab- and her newfound assistant Zilver, who still speaks far too quickly for her liking. First thing first before conducting her research, the artificer begins her crafting plans. Most of which fall apart for her- she soon realizes that the magic required is far out of reach for her at the present time- the power required out of reach for her. Annoyed, she sidelines the projects for constructs and claws and in turn begins focusing on the current commissions submitted to her from her companions- in addition to responding to a proposal from Solstafir. Afterward, begins the work on her own items- a new circlet supposedly having the blessings of a deity and an opulent set of bracelets for her tail. The former of which required a great deal of books and research to achieve- books mostly borrowed from Thanquil's lavish library.

With all of her current crafting needs done, she begins doing research with her fast talking assistant. The first being graft research followed up by the more experimentation with Xansia's crafting methods.

Spoiler: OOC/XP spending
    Show

Xansia Crafting research: -899 xp
    Graft research: -1100xp
    Sanctify Relic feat: -2000xp

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

As with the first time they'd delved together, Liselle quickly went through her business with Solstafir and Orchid, and then vanished out of the other delvers' lives.

For a while, anyway.

Eventually, Solstafir, Orchid and Thanquil received letters, written in an unfamiliar (and rather shaky) hand. They were invitations to a graduation from a small school near Solum's outskirts. With a signature that, if squinted at in just the right way, would read 'Liselle'.

Her start as a burglar apparently hadn't allowed for much schooling during her childhood. But she was, at least, technically literate.

Whichever ones decided to attend would find that this wasn't Liselle graduating regular school - it was a small psionics academy she'd enrolled with. She stood out like a sore thumb amongst the other students - while not so far off in terms of age, most of the others were the children of well-off families, sent off to learn their 'true potential' (or, more likely, to ensure that even if they were called up to go delving, someone poor would be stuck wading into melee with a sword). So how had she gotten in? Well, as she was learning, being a delver rather than a criminal (technically, at this point, she was still both...) made people a lot more willing to accept you. Especially Psionics Tutors, for whom she would serve as free advertising, were she to survive another Delve...

The graduation itself wasn't a terribly complex affair. Each student was called up by the instructors, demonstrated at least one full Manifestation (Far Hand and Energy Ray being very popular demonstrations), took a little diploma, and disappeared in the direction of the catering table with their beaming parents. Then Liselle's turn came around. She went up in front of her instructor, and he pulled out a staff. Liselle held an arm out in front of her, there was a faint shimmering in the air just beyond it, and the instructor swung... only for the shimmering energy field to stop the staff-blow cold, half a foot before impacting Liselle's arm. Far from the flashiest power anyone had demonstrated today, but to delvers who knew just how badly the furniture had beaten her up in the last delve, her choice of a defensive power to master first would have made much more sense.

Finally, diploma clutched tightly in hand, she glances around to see who came for her...

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Nearby Orchid was watching everyone go by until it was Liselle's turn. Once she stepped away with her diploma in hand, the artificer approaches Liselle giving her a hug.

"Congratulations!"
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2020-08-05 at 12:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid's research is fruitful:

She gains a bonus feat from the following list, even if she doesn't meet the prerequisites for the feat:
    (Lords of Madness) - Graft Flesh (except modified, it can be taken multiple times to select multiple types. Orchid must still meet the type requirements within the feat)
    (Magic of Eberron) - Deathless Fleshgrafter
    (Magic of Eberron) - Eldeen Plantgrafter
    (Magic of Eberron) - Elemental Grafter
    (Faiths of Eberron) - Construct Grafter

She discovers how to more effectively apply Xansia's crafting method. When using it, you can get a stronger benefit at the cost of a worse Drawback.

Thanquil's efforts are also productive:

He successfully forms an alliance between the Rokeby family and a small religious order, the Ivory Cloaks. It's composed of an assortment of like-minded divine casters.
    The Ivory Cloaks, as part of the agreement put their scribes to work copying books from the Rokeby library and copying books from the order's library as exchanging while proliferating knowledge. The scribes, who are primarily acolytes of the order, are also capable research assistants if you're willing to trust them with sensitive information.

He discovers among the new books a rather old account, a record of a Delver who returned from the Dungeon violently insane. He was quickly killed upon entering the yard in a blood-frenzy. A very unusual occurrence but not outside of the scope of what the Dungeon able to do to a Delver. While the Ivory Cloaks don't have any inkling of its significance, eye witness testimony suggests after the madman was slain, someone overheard one of the Bureaucrats using Speak With Dead.

When asked about the circumstances of its return he said "I played the devil's game."
    When asked why he attacked citizens of Solum he said "I fought against the Dungeon to my last breath."
    When asked about the devil's game, what it is, how he did, or about the devil he simply repeated "I played the devil's game."
    When asked how he returned to Solum he said "I used the red Escape Stone." but was unable to provide details on this item.

You know that Infernal is the language of devils, so it's very possible this was related to a Death Door encounter and the Infernal Voice.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-05 at 08:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The initial attempt at a hug might have been a touch awkward - Liselle did have a force-effect shield floating in front of her, after all - but after a moment, she remembered to dismiss it. "Hey, glad you could make it! It's my first qualification for... uh, anything, really. Back where I started out, the equivalent was a street brawl; If you came out with all your limbs and at least 2 remaining teeth, that was considered a pass!" Going by the grin, she's probably exaggerating there.

"Anyway, I was taking some self-improvement courses. The shield, making myself harder to injure, and one they called 'offensive precognition', to make me more accurate. I'm never gonna lose a fight to a chair again!"

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

The Foundry

"Raylor got word from his sister working in the bureaucracy, looks like he'll be coming back later today."

Korgar groaned, his voice echoing down the spacious corridors of red-tinted stone. Their shadows shortened then stretched again as they passed the next magical torch along their path, the taller man conscious to slow down his gait to let the hafling woman beside him keep up without having to hurry.

Fiona Lisdale smirked mischiouvously. "You drew the short straw, didn't you."

"Yeah, I did." He knew she knew, but she just liked teasing him like that. Whenever Solstafir returned someone would go in to check out his bloody bounty to warn the others what to expect and if necessary take a slow day. People adapt. Also, Briskir now was making a decent side business selling scented incense sticks.

It would take a good while until he could afford to regenerate the leg he lost on his first Delve. If he even wanted to; remaining a cripple might well be preferable to having to brave the Dungeon again. He paid a heavy price, but at least he got out alive.

"I'll see what he brought this time. He's not the talkative kind but I think that is mostly because he gets completely absorbed in his work. Perhaps I should gently rapp on his forehead and see if he answers..."

"Dude, don't mess with the Reaper!" Lisdale admonished. "I heard the very first time he entered the Dungeon he burned a 15 foot giant to death just by letting it hit him."

""Hruthgar hit him well enough and remained thoroughly unburned," Korgar answered, unimpressed. "And it was an ettin, more like 12 feet give or take. Actually saw him work on it. Carved the flesh from its legs to use the bones as harpoon shafts." He shook his head violently, trying to dispel the memory.

"Hrm." The young woman bit her lip in contemplation. "I think it's those weird things hovering over his skin. Old schoolmate of mine in Kingscrown knows someone with the same stuff, seems it's called Soulmelds. Lots of Firebloods have it."

"How on Solum did someone from a common school get into Kingscrown?" The most prestiguous of Associations, so named for its first Grand Master who had forged the crown juwels, was home to the offspring of Solum's highest nobility while also expecting them to meet exacting standards in craftsmanship. Of course, their status meant they had access to quality tutors and the best equipment to tip the scales in their favour.

"Same as everyone else really. Politics. His mother's the maid of a count. His only son from his widow died some stupid death in a duel and he might not get another heir from his second marriage, so now he's grooming his bastard son to eventually adopt and legitimize him. Sure unusual for a nameless bloke to make it into Kingscrown, but if you have enough strings to pull such social conventions are more suggestions than rules."

Korgar mulled this over for some moments. Life in the upper levels of the Foundry was much different from here, their challenges no less alien to him than the life of a Delver. Although the vast majority of Fireblood Dwarfs were in the most prominent Associations. Perhaps there were others with Solstafir's peculiarities?

Korgar smiled a silent smile. He'd love to see a sheltered nobleman's reaction to a zombie skinning.

Another day

"Hey, you're Solstafir, right?"

The dwarf looked to the left, then for once downward instead of up, seeing a thin girl of perhaps twelve years with unkempt shortish brown hair in stark contrast to her immaculate and expensive dress. "I'm Kirana of the Fairfield noble family. Surely you've heard of them. Though not of me. We may not be the biggest house, but my parents do still get a personal letter from the King every year on their anniversary."

Solstafir opened his mouth to speak, but the bubbly little girl rolled right over him.

"My maid's brother works here and told some stories of what you do so I was excited to meet you. See, my mother keeps insisting I should take on a tutor to make it into a suitable Association before I come of age for the draft, but I actually wanna adventure and explore! She calls it stupid, says the Dungeon is no place for a noble lady and would just kill or maim me, but what does she know, she never once even walked down to the market on her own two feet. Anyway, she just wouldn't shut up about it but then I thought of you and I was thinking I could finally get her off my back while still learning stuff about the Dungeon and its creatures!"

When after a short pause where she finally took time to breathe it became clear the girl would finally give him a chance to answer Solstafir spoke up. "So, you just want to watch me work?"

Kirana nodded enthusiastically. "I figure the real stuff isn't like the wart-faced trolls in children's tales. If you got a troll. I think you killed a giant once?"

Solstafir nodded slowly. "Alright. Just look, don't touch." He moved over to a nearby table and removed the tarp covering it, revealing a rotting corpse with retreating lips forcing the jagged teeth into a perpetual smile and its arms replaced by barbed chains still covered in dried blood. "This probably was a ghoul, though an unusually tall specimen with some modifications I intend to emulate later on in my own work. We begin by making an incision in the abdomen to remove the organs without damaging the skeletal structure..."

-------

Milena of the Fairfield noble family waited more or less patiently for her daughter to return to the Brightmane office she had been provided to sit in, barely adequate but it would have to do. She didn't quite understand why the girl was so insistent on this middling Association, but after months of fruitless coaxing and pressuring she wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth lest it run away. As long as the tomboyish little thing gave up her silly ideas of adventure and heroism it would be good enough. Take a tutor, spend some years in the Foundry and then once she found a suitable match for marriage she could give up crafting and instead benefit from the child-raising exemption to the Draft. It was a good plan and the many noble houses who handled things exactly like that were proof of it. The little madcap just had to accept her elders know best.

Finally, the door creaked open shyly. "There you are, I thought you'd never..." The noble lady stopped dead in her tracks as she saw the deathly pale face of her daughter, standing on wobbly legs while using her left hand to brace against the wall. "Honey, are you alright?"

"Yes mum. Just... asked for more than I can handle. Or my stomach, for that matter." The usually quirky girl remained silent and subdued for some moments. "Say, after we get back, could we look into getting me a tutor?"

"Oh, of course dear!" Milena said, joy and relief quickly supplanting the concern she had felt a moment ago. "In Brightmane?"

Kirana's eyes widened in utter horror. "NO!"

Later that day

After a hard day's work Solstafir returned to his private chambers; they wouldn't be his much longer once the approval for his rank advancement went through but for now a small room with bed, a small table, chair, a chest and little room for much else had to do as for as lodgings went. Opening the door he did a double-take, closed it again, verified the room number, then opened it again. "The hell?"

On his desk, in striking contrast to its bleak surroundings, stood a luxurious gift basket.

Liselle's graduation

Solstafir waited at the catering tables for the show to finish while partaking at the food. He couldn't say he disapproved of Liselle's defensive choice, though he was the kind of person to prefer solid steel over such mystic tricks. Even his Soulmelds were permanently active; he had them ready when surprised, and no restraint could prevent them. "Say, have you guys ever heard of something called a pineapple? Apparently they're outrageously expensive as they don't grow naturally in Solum's climate and have to be raised in magical greenhouses. They're quite tasty though the skin is a bit tough to chew."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2021-11-20 at 02:32 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

20. - Top - End - #740

Thanquil is pleased to make the acquaintance of the Ivory Cloaks and eagerly exchanges knowledge with them.

He hasn't left his study for days when he receives the invitation to Liselle's graduation. Thanquil had graduated college himself, several times in fact, so he recognised the achievement made by Liselle. He took the time to spruce himself up and change into a fancier set of clothes than his usual wardrobe of drab shirts and set off. He claps his hardest when she receives her diploma and welcomes her off the stage with a smile and a hug. "Congratulations!" he says and then makes the most of the food and drinks available.
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2020-08-06 at 03:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid invokes her knowledge of Xansia's craft technique forging a mystical belt. She can feel a strange heavy aura while she works like there are spirits squirming in displeasure at her work. When the final product is done, it does feel like a masterpiece. Though, it's unclear if anyone would want to use this.

You have crafted:
    Belt of the Berserker [Xansia]
    The wearer of the belt gains a +2 enhancement bonus to strength, and gains the Power Attack feat.

Drawback: Berserk
    If the wearer has less than 50% HP after taking damage, the wearer must make a Will Save DC 20 or enter a state of Berserk.
    Berserk: the creature becomes unable to distinguish friend from foe. The strength bonus from the belt increases to +6 and gains a +4 bonus to confirm critical hits, the wearer also suffers a -4 penalty to AC and Reflex saves. The wearer loses 3d6 HP each round while in Berserk (this is not subject to Damage Reduction).
    In order to exit Berserk, the creature must first either rise above 50% HP or slay at least 10 creatures. Once one of those two conditions it met it is entitled to a Will Save each round as a free action against a DC 20, this DC is lowered by 1 for each HP the wearer is above half.

You have crafted:
    Memento Magica [Xansia]
    Effect: If you spend one hour attuning to this item, you unlock its power.
    If you are attuned, once per day, you may recover a first level spell slot as a standard action. If you instead use a full round action, you can immediately cast a spell of the appropriate level for the slot regained. This does not use the regained slot.

Drawback: What's this do?
    If you are attuned to this item and discover a potion or unidentified magical item, you must immediately imbibe the potion, or attempt to use the magic item via the Activate Blindly function of Use Magic Device. Failure to do so results in backlash, causing you to suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, lose 5 HP, and lose one spell slot of your highest level for 24 hours. This HP damage can't be healed until the duration of the penalty ends. Multiple failures to use blindly result in stacking penalties and refreshes the duration.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-07 at 08:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The time has come once again. Embarking on the now familiar long march past the obelisk where there are once again low ranking bureaucrats in their small round hats carving and enchanting markings on the face of the monument, making records of fallen delvers. There appear to be more bureaucrats working on it this time around.

"I heard we lost an exceptionally large number of Delvers this rotation." you overhear a heavily armored Elven woman say in a hushed tone. She doesn't appear to be talking to anyone in particular, and nobody directly responds, but the heavy atmosphere among most of the Delvers on the march is so thick it feels like it could be cut with a sword.

You reach the yard, passing the assembled merchants outside of the fortress and the associated dim hubbub. It's clear that the number of Delvers in your rotation has once again significantly reduced. Lots of Delvers are clearly barely holding themselves together under the pressure of the knowledge they will once again face their potential death within a few hours.

The head bureaucrat eventually appears in her very tall round hat and announces the groupings. Your team hasn't been altered, it likely won't be for the time being due to the support of Atticus, since it's unclear what about your group has attracted the Voice's interest.

You pass through the tunnel into the Dungeon, making preparations as desired as you enter.

After the momentary and icky sensation of suddenly being in a new place the Dungeon infuses knowledge directly into your minds. You have an image in your minds' eyes of a hunched demi-humanoid creature with a face so twisted that only one over-sized eye is visible. It reminds you vaguely of a goblin, but clearly isn't a greenskin. The creature hefts an overstuffed sack over once its shoulders gripping it with both gnarled hands. It wears a plain cloak and hood, though wisps of long stringy hair escape the hood. You know you must do everything in your power to kill this being, though it's unclear why.

You find yourselves in a cramped, dark, and empty room with a hallway behind you that stretches to the end of your vision. A large marble trap door hangs open opposite the hallway, revealing descending stairs. The air is stale and cool, and the semi-natural walls feel like they want nothing more than to contract until there's no space left to breathe. A low but persistent buzzing sound echoes about the small area, growing louder with each passing second.

Thanquil's keen ear is able to determine that the buzzing is emanating from the hallway.

There are two exits to this room:
    The hallway.
    Descending stairs.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-09 at 08:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

With Thanquil's (presumable) warning about the approaching noise, Liselle manifests two of her buffs (Offensive Precognition and Force Screen, duration 4 mins each), draws her chain, assumed the Island of Blades stance, and steps towards the hallway. "Guess we take out whatever's moving about up here first, right?"
    Last edited by whoiam; 2020-08-09 at 09:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sound right to me." Orchid comment, bringing out her scythe. In the meantime, her spare time which was activated ahead of time, takes out and holds a scroll of fireball.

"I hope it isn't a group of small bugs."

25. - Top - End - #745

Thanquil is feeling confident as he makes the march to the dungeon entrance. Until he overhears the elf woman's words that is. Then he starts fidgeting and pulling at a loose thread in his cuff.

After reaching the dungeon, Thanquil casts a spell on himself and then pulls out a scroll and casts a spell from that as well. "Did anyone else see that foul creature as we were brought here?"

"The buzzing is coming from the hallway, I second hoping it isn't bugs. Lets find out I guess."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casts Lore of the Gods and activates a scroll of Barkskin

Knowledge to recognise the creature? (1d20+25)[31] (+1 for Arcana, Dungeoneering or Religion, +3 for planes)

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Your fears are proven well warranted as a mass of insects enters the end of your range of vision advancing at roughly 10ft per round through the hallway towards you. Thousands upon thousands of the diminutive creatures scurry on top one of another as the writhing mass wriggles towards you unpleasantly.

Automatic Spellcraft DC 25:
    Orchid (1d20+14)[33]
    Solstafir (1d20+5)[11]
    Thanquil (1d20+13)[33]

Any results above 10 but under DC are converted to Aid Another on the highest roll.

Orchid and Thanquil both immediately see the tell-tale signs of magically conjured creatures. This isn't just a swarm of insects, this is an Insect Plague.

Judging by the the increasing volume of the creatures' sounds, it's not just the swarm visible in front of you. The number of swarms must be increasing, though it's hard to tell since the swarm in front blocks your line of vision further into the hall.

There are two apparent courses of action:
    Fight an unknown number of swarms of locust to try to advance through the hall.
    Go through the open marble trap door and maybe hope that can block the onslaught of insects.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-10 at 09:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid moves away from Solstafir and prepares to active the scroll of fireball when the swarms start assaulting the dwarf.

"Sorry in advance Solstafir!"

Show

Move action: move away from Solstafir.
    Standard: Prepare to activate scroll of fireball. UMD: (1d20+19)[39]
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2020-08-11 at 03:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Having decided to fight:

Initiative:
    Enemies (1d20+4)[22]

Liselle (1d20+8)[23]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[14]
    Solstafir (1d20+8)[25]
    Thanquil (1d20+7)[12]

Liselle and Solstafir have initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-11 at 04:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

"Bah, annoying little things." The dwarven warrior seemed more annoyed than worried about the wall of insects about ready to descend on them like a flood. He tossed one of his alchemist fires into the midst of the swarm but otherwise held his position while his zombie covered Orchid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zombie will stay adjacent to Orchid wherever she moves
    touch - (1d20+7)[14] plus any distance penalty
    fire damage - (1d6)[5] times 1.5 for swarms, and 1 splash in adjacent squares

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

With nothing much she can contribute to fighting a locust swarm (she knows full well she'd have better luck fighting them off with fly swatters), Liselle backs away and leaves Solstafir and his fire aura with the front line all to himself.