New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

"Can anyone disable or break that trap?" Thanquil asks "If not lets get out before more of those things appear."

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Remind me to make a backup adamantine weapon," Solstafir said as he abandoned his shield and hit the wall where the rune had appeared with all his might while being mindful to leave enough room for Liselle to do the same.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+11)[26] slashing damage - (2d8+8)[16] +1 Fire +1 Electricity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Technically, Liselle might have been able to disarm the trap... but it would have been slow, and risky, and she didn't much fancy running into another couple of locust swarms. So there wasn't much point trying to stop Solstafir breaking it; it was time to pull out the flail, and smash this thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Switching into Punishing Stance, pulling out the Adamantine Heavy Flail, and cranking up the Power Attack (on the assumption that she'll probably hit a stationary target either way...)

"Attack" - (1d20+7)[23] counting the 4 points of Power Attack and the point of Offensive Precognition
    "Damage" - (2d8+15)[28]
    "Bonus Damage" - (1d6)[4]

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The wall thoroughly demolished, the glyph briefly lights up partially before its magics spill out evaporating harmlessly into the air. Whatever value this thing might have offered has been thoroughly destroyed. The wall crumbles revealing a small space containing a sturdy box with an ornate design. The box, being quickly identified as neither locked nor trapped has a few items contained within. Perhaps these were personal effects of the trap smith?

The box contains a fine cloth choker threaded with platinum and bearing a small ruby worth 150gp.
    A coin purse containing 800gp.
    An unidentified scroll.
    An unidentified oil.

The party gains 3,200 XP.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious exits other than the open trap door near where you first appeared.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-26 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

"Shame we couldn't keep it. Maybe I can at least learn something..." Orchid says. She then starts gathering the remains of the trap and stowing them away. Afterward she takes the time to try to identify the newly gotten items.

"Does anyone want some healing? I have plenty of potions and scrolls to go around."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Artificer Knowledge rolls: (1d20+7)[22] (1d20+7)[20] vs DC 15
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

"I could certainly use some patching up," Solstafir said as he retrieved his shield. "After that let's move on."

Spoiler
    Show
    At 26 HP, 2 Lesser Vigors will bring me to full.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

7. - Top - End - #787

While Orchid identifies the magic items, Thanquil pulls out a scroll of Lesser Vigor, casting it on Solstafir and then when the dwarf is still wounded, uses a second scroll of the same spell.

"I hate bugs." Thanquil mutters. "I suspect I'm going to have a bad time on this delve if there's much more like that."

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

While patching up (including any additional uses of healing items as desired for further party recovery as desired since nobody, not even the zombie escaped that encounter unscathed) Orchid identifies the scroll and oil.

A divine scroll of Faerie Fire and Heat Metal.
    An oil of Magic Weapon.

There remains only one obvious path forward:
    The open marble trap door where you first appeared.

9. - Top - End - #789

Eyeing the zombie's torn flesh, Thanquil says "I suppose we should patch this thing up too."

With obvious distaste he pulls out another scroll, casting the spell and gingerly touching the zombie to discharge the magic.

"Well then, I guess down the trapdoor is our only path forwards. Who wants to go first?"

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

"The zombie as usual. Once I find a good body I'll make a fresh one anyway, I've been itching to try out that chained undead thing we found." The dwarven smith armed with harpoon and shield followed shortly behind his unliving minion.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not much useful here aside froma scroll with Faerie Fire and Heat Metal and this oil of magic weapon." With that said, Orchid follows behind Solstafir.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You proceed down the stairs, with the zombie taking point.

The passage is narrow, forcing you to march single file. It descends for quite a distance, the air feels progressively thicker and more humid as you progress. The walls of the stairway are etched with ancient designs muted by time. With each foot fall a cloud of dust rises up to irritate your eyes and noses.

You see the passage open up ahead.

Listen checks:
    Liselle (1d20+8)[24]
    Thanquil (1d20+9)[24]

Before you have a clear view of the room or anything in the room has a clear view of you, Liselle and Thanquil hear a creature's muted, guttural humming rising up the stairs from the room ahead.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-28 at 05:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, let's see what that is, come on." The Necrocarnum zombie took the lead while Solstafir followed on its heel and they descended down the stairs towards the source of the voice.

14. - Top - End - #794

"There's something waiting in that room. Be wary as we enter." Thanquil says, readying his bow as they approach.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid follows the rest of the party, wary of what could be up ahead.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: DM rolls
    Show
    (1d20+10)[29]

(1d20+7)[13]
    (1d20+7)[13]
    (1d20+7)[13]
    (1d20+7)[19]

(1d20+1)[13]
    (1d20+1)[15]
    (1d20-2)[14]
    (1d20+2)[3]

The passage opens into a chamber of moderate size. The masonry of this room has crumbled some revealing walls of rich dark soil and plant roots. Webs collect in the corners and along the walls of the room.

You see a hunched demi-humanoid creature near the far end of the room hurriedly stuffing something it was holding into an oversized sack which it deftly swings over one of its shoulders. The one eye visible on its twisted face regarding you with contempt. Spittle flies out of its grotesque mouth as it speaks in a language you're unfamiliar with, displaying its three crooked, rotten teeth.

The group also notices three (Medium size category) Monstrous Spiders, roughly the size of dogs, shift slightly as the group is entering the room on the ceiling where they are partially obscured by cocoons of webbing.

Initiative:
    Enemy (1d20+8)[14]

Liselle (1d20+8)[14]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[19]
    Solstafir (1d20+8)[9]
    Thanquil (1d20+7)[15]

Orchid and Thanquil have initiative (Liselle and enemy tied with the same initiative modifier, DM wins ties).
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-08-31 at 06:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #797

Thanquil carefully reviews his knowledge on such foes and then shoots a pair of arrows at the twisted creature.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Free: Knowledge Devotion (nature) for Monstrous Spiders (1d20+20)[32], for the creature if it is a different type (1d20)[12] + 21 if arcana, dungeoneering or religion, +23 if planes and +20 if local - EDIT: That's a +4 no matter which skill
    Full round: Full attack, Rapid Shot Point Blank Shot?
    Attack 1: (1d20+5)[15] damage (1d6+1)[2]
    Attack 2: (1d20+5)[16] damage (1d6+1)[6]
    +1 to attack and damage if within Point Blank Shot range, +4 attack and damage from knowledge devotion
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2020-09-01 at 04:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid grabs a scroll of web out from her pack and begins reading it aloud.

Show

Move action to draw the scroll.
    Standard to cctivate web scroll: 39
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2020-09-03 at 10:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanquil's arrows hiss through the air towards the demi-humanoid. The grotesque creature shifts its overstuffed sack with near supernatural speed to block the arrows. The arrows tear into the sack, which appears to immediately push the arrows out almost as if it were alive. The arrows clatter onto the ground as the sack bleeds out coins and gems. It's filled with treasure! As quickly as it was torn open the sack magically mends itself and stops the flow of treasure.

The demi-humanoid shouts something at you in its alien tongue. It doesn't seem very happy about this.

During this commotion, Orchid casts Web, attempting to catch the demi-humanoid.

Reflex save: (1d20)[15]

The creature shifts its sack with near supernatural speed, somehow blocking the magically conjured web with the sack. The sack shimmers momentarily and the strands of web simply fall away from the sack. Looks like the creature wasn't caught by the web.

The spiders begin to skitter across the ceiling to the walls and begin their descent, judging by their current movement, they will be able to engage in melee combat next round. A fourth spider comes out from hiding behind a cluster of web cocoons, they scatter towards the corners of the room.

The demi-humanoid spits hocks a chunk of mucous out of his mouth onto the floor in your general direction before turning and fleeing into an open hallway directly across the room, it travels out of sight of Solstafir's darkvision and the light from Orchid's lantern and Liselle's torch. Judging by its speed, it likely only moved 50ft and is just barely outside of your range of visibility, looked like it was hustling hard (double move) under the weight of that overstuffed treasure bag. There's are coins and tiny gemstones glittering where the creature stood, but this no time to take account of the treasure.

Spoiler: Status and Conditions
    Show
    The spiders (Medium 1, 2, 3, 4) are unharmed.
    The demi-humanoid has blocked 16 damage.

Liselle has 27 HP left over from the previous encounter (missing 18)
    Orchid has 31 HP left over from the previous encounter (missing 18)

Feel free to retroactively spend resources to heal if desired, I didn't see any mention in either thread about what resources were used for that.

The party may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-09-03 at 04:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

"A slippery one, eh? Let's see how this one works." Solstafir pursued the fleeing treasure carrier and once he had the creature back in his sight he let loose his harpoon while keeping firm hold of the trailing rope. The necrocarnum zombie covered Orchid and Liselle, ready to attack any of the oversized spiders moving in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zombie readies an action to attack first spider in its 10 ft reach, may also get an AoO if they move adjacent

Solstafir pursues to a distance of 25 feet.
    attack - (1d20+8)[9]
    piercing damage - (2d8+5)[16]
    If hit Reflex DC 10+damage taken or harpoon stuff

21. - Top - End - #801

Unwilling to follow the fleeing creature into the dark, Thanquil switches his attention to the Monstrous Spiders. He fires a pair of rapid fire arrows at the closest spider to him.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Full Attack, Point Blank Shot, Knowledge Devotion +4
    Attack 1: (1d20+10)[17], damage (1d6+6)[9]
    Attack 2: (1d20+10)[23], damage (1d6+6)[12]

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    Liselle's going to start this fight in Island of Blades stance

Liselle pulls out her spiked chain and steps forwards to engage the first of the spiders. She's doing it from as far out as the chain allows (just in case it survives her hit, and she needs the AOO when it finishes approaching her next round).

Spoiler
    Show

Starting with the Shadow Blade Technique and 4 points of Power Attack. Net attack: +7 (+9, +1 from Offensive Precognition, +1 from Dwarvencraft, -4 from PA)

...Apparently, I didn't notice I was trying to do dice rolls with spoiler tags. I'll reroll!

"Damage" - (3d6+15)[21]
    "Crit Damage" - (3d6+15)[19]
    "Cold Damage" - (1d6)[5]

Last edited by whoiam; 2020-09-07 at 03:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    Redoing the attack rolls:

"Attack 1" - (1d20+7)[24]
    "Attack 2" - (1d20+7)[14]
    "Crit Conf" - (1d20+11)[31]

Taking the better attack roll, so I forfeit the Cold damage
    Last edited by whoiam; 2020-09-07 at 03:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid begins chanting and points towards the fleeing foe. "Glitterdust!"

Show

Standard: Orchid casts glitterdust on the enemy running away with our future loot.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir's harpoon sails through the air, but the bag toting creature ducks underneath it.

Orchid has to move forward quite a ways to see the location of the bag toting creature before unleashing a spell.
    Demi-humanoid's Will save: (1d20)[11] (save bonuses are unknown)

Thanquil fires an arrow into a spider, killing it instantly before turning and firing into another spider, injuring significantly.

Liselle moves to an uninjured spider and smashes it into the wall with her spiked chain. The spider's corpse slides down smearing a trail of gore down the wall.

The bag toting creature hisses and whoops loudly before moving another 50ft away continuing through the long corridor. The dust on the creature glitters, revealing its distant location.

The spider injured by Thanquil's arrow turns and begins to ascend back up the wall, apparently it doesn't have a death wish. It isn't able to ascend as fast as it could descend and reaches the top corner of the room.

The uninjured spider comes after Thanquil, provoking AoO's from both Liselle and the zombie.
    Liselle:
    (1d20+7)[15]
    On hit it kills the spider with static damage alone.

Zombie:
    (1d20+8)[17]
    On a 28 (1d20+8)[13] to confirm
    (1d3+5)[8] dmg
    On crit (1d3+5)[7] more dmg.

Liselle and the zombie separate the body sections of the last spider from each other. The pieces fly about the room from the force of the attack leaving a splat of spider guts and gore where the creature once was.

Show
    Medium Spider 1 took 12 damage from Thanquil's arrow and died.
    Medium Spider 2 took 9 damage from Thanquil's arrow and is critically wounded and retreating.
    Medium Spider 3 took 21 damage from Liselle's spiked chain and splatted against the wall.
    Medium Spider 4 took 3d6+28 damage killing it on average three and a half times over.

Liselle has 27 HP remaining.
    Orchid has 31 HP remaining.

Players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-09-08 at 10:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806

Thanquil moves out into the corridor after the fleeing creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanquil double moves (60ft.) after the creature.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir remained in persuit, readying and throwing his next harpoon while the zombie slowly caught up to them to hold the fleeing goblin down.

Spoiler
    Show
    30 ft movement without Haste, 60 with Haste on both Solstafir and the zombie

attack - (1d20+8)[9] +1 if Haste
    piercing damage - (2d8+5)[15]
    If hit Reflex DC 10+damage taken or harpoon stuff

Zombie will use a double move(60 or 120 ft respectively) to get as close as possible and lock the goblin down in his 10 ft threat zone. Should the zombie get an AoO it will be used for a trip attempt.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid has her spare hand drop the scroll it was previously hold into her pack and fetch a scroll of haste, which she immediate begins reading off.

Show
    Free: Spare hand drops the scroll it was holding and brings out a scroll of haste from her pack.
    Move: Orchid moves into the best position to at least affect Solstafir and whoever else she can.
    Standard: Activate scroll of haste(CL3), with Solstafir as the priority recipient. UMD: (1d20+19)[24]
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2020-09-11 at 08:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid casts haste, managing to be able to target the entire party. A CL 3 Haste gets three targets, so three targets are hasted (unless clarified otherwise Solstafir, Liselle and Thanquil are hasted).

The zombie double moves out 60ft, leaving 40ft between it and the enemy.
    Solstafir rushes forward 60ft and hurls his harpoon, which sails off course again.

Thanquil is able to easily keep up with the group.

Liselle charges down the corridor, power attacking for 4
    (1d20+8)[9] to hit
    On a 28 (1d20+8)[20] to confirm.

Dealing (3d6+13)[27] damage.
    On a critical hit it deals an extra (3d6+13)[17]

The bag toting creature blocks Liselle's spiked chain with its bag, managing to interrupt the spiked chain with incredible deftness. Then it withdraws (Withdraw action), traveling 50ft further into the corridor, continuing to whoop and holler. It's making quite the racket, the noise echoes about the chamber.

The last remaining spider in the early entry way seeing fewer enemies to contend with, moves back onto the walls.

Show

Medium Spider 2 has taken 9 damage.

Liselle has 27 HP remaining and Haste for 2 more rounds.
    Orchid has 31 HP remaining.
    Solstafir has Haste for 2 more rounds.
    Thanquil has Haste for 2 more rounds.

You notice a passage branches out of this main corridor to the right. The bag-toting monster has already passed the split and continues fleeing straight down the corridor.

The party may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-09-11 at 07:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir kept charging after the bumping sack of treasure. He abandoned his futile harpooning efforts and instead barreled straight into the goblin to restrain it in a hold with his superior mass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaaaarge
    melee touch - (1d20+12)[19]
    opposed grapple - (1d20+9)[19]

Zombie double moves or runs if it has an unobstructed line to get as close as it can