New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

Heading across to the far door, you proceed down another corridor into a small chamber. The only object of interest in this room is a statue at the far end, which appears to be something like a sarcophagus standing upright, engraved is a humanoid with a distorted face and tendrils for hair.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Bad guy: (1d20+9)[15] hide

Aertre (1d20-1)[10] spot
    Geraldo (1d20-1)[0] spot
    Orchid (1d20+1)[7] spot
    Solstafir (1d20-2)[1] spot
    Levyk (1d20+3)[4] spot
    Thanquil (1d20+2)[4]

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Bad guy: (1d20+1)[9]

Aertre (1d20+3)[22]
    Geraldo (1d20+2)[15]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[3]
    Solstafir (1d20+3)[16]
    Levyk (1d20)[16]
    Thanquil (1d20+3)[12]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The distorted head of the Sarcophagus begins to suddenly shift as the group enters the room, catching you all by surprise. Batlike wings unfurl from its temples and its eyes open, aglow with a ghastly green flame. The head lets out a piercing Shriek! The sound reverberates in your skulls, a strange terrifying pitch.

Make a Fortitude save DC 12 or be Paralyzed with fear for (2d4)[3] rounds.

Fort Saves:
    Aertre (1d20+3)[8]
    Geraldo (1d20+4)[20]
    Orchid (1d20+3)[22]
    Solstafir (1d20+7)[23]
    Levyk (1d20+4)[20]
    Thanquil (1d2+3)[5]

Geraldo, Solstafir, and Levyk may now act.
    Aertre and Thanquil are Paralyzed for 3 rounds.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-11-27 at 05:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir interposed himself between the creature and his paralyzed companions, taking aim with his harpoon to tie it down before it could fly out of their reach. Letting loose the barbed spear he kept hold of the trailing rope, ready to hold their assailant in place.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move within 30 feet if I'm not already.
    attack - (1d20+4)[23] piercing damage - (1d10+3)[12]

if hit, Reflex DC10+damage dealt or harpoon is stuck in target. Half movement, not running or charging. it can be removed as a full round action requiring two free hands. DC15 heal check or same damage dealt again.

edit: Jormungand's teeth the dice love me in this game.
    Just a note, though it didn't matter fear effects are always mind-affecting, which I'm immune to as a certified madman.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2019-11-27 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

There's no time to loose! Two of his fellows are paralyzed by fear. He doesn't want to know, what other attacks this creature has, so he charges.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    charge attack with PA -1 (1d20+5)[8] damage (1d10+5)[10]
    If it's an evil outsider, please add 2 because of favored enemy

EDIT: the dice hate me :(

Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-11-27 at 11:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Geraldo dashes to get into melee with it, drawing his falchion along the way. Once in melee, he attempts to distract it from his currently frozen allies by performing his tried and true one-two combo.

Spoiler: Wolf Fang Strike
    Show
    Great Falchion:(1d20+3)[17] Damage: (1d12+6)[9]
    Armor Spike:(1d20+3)[22] Damage:(1d6+4)[8]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Skewered by the harpoon, the strange head shaped creature's bat like wings begin to drop as it's immediately sliced to ribbons by the combination attack from Levyk and Geraldo.

Spoiler: Knowledge Planes
    Show
    This creature is a lesser vargouille. The beastiary places this creature among those referred to as "Outsiders" - native neither to Solum nor the Dungeon, they take advantage of the weaker planar boundaries around the Dungeon to gain access for any number of reasons.

This particular type is a being of evil and violence that delights in the suffering of others. It appears this one isn't fully developed as others have venom (this one doesn't) and turn victims paralyzed by their shriek into more vargouilles.

The creature defeated, each character gains 300 XP. On one of the tendrils of the creature is a platinum ring.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"W-what was that? I can still hear ringing in my ears..." she asks aloud, still surprised about what had just occurred seconds before.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't cut it up more than you need to, that thing's gonna be my helmet," Solstafir admonished. He couldn't answer what it was, but visually it was quite suitable to his purposes. He retrieved his harpoon and stored the remains of the vargouille inside his haversack after removing the platinum ring. "Guess we check this for magic along the rest of the loot later."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I think it's some form of Vargouille, they feed off pain and suffering. It isn't native to the dungeon, it must have come here to hunt..." Thanquil says before tailing off. He looks round the room seeing it empty apart from the sarcophagus on the far wall. "I guess we should investigate the sarcophagus as well. Should we check it for traps? Don't want to get caught out by something like that dart trap in the other room"

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on the Knowledge Planes check to identify the Vargouille.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll take a look around." Orchid then begins examining the sarcophagus for anything out of the ordinary. "So you're going to turn that thing into a helmet Solstafir? Will doing that let you do that creepy scream it did to us?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Taking 20 on Search to see if the sarcophagus is trapped.
    Disable Device in case there are traps: (1d20+6)[15]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

While Orchid is examining the sarcophagus, Levyk steps aside. He makes three, four swings with his axe, looks at the head, the shaft, controls the leather straps on the handle... Everything is fine.
    He puts out his whetstone and sharpens the axe with it (although it isn't necessary).

Something is wrong with his good old friend, he just can't tell what. His axe always was reliable before, but now?

The next one, for sure! he whispers
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-11-29 at 12:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing fancy like that I'm afraid," Solstafir answered Orchid. "I'm not yet able to forge magic, but I'll get there. For now it's just a trophy to show off the creatures I have defeated."

He eyed Levyk's ministrations critically; his craftman's eye can tell it is of good make and certainly not in need of sharpening. At least the other dwarf didn't seem to do it badly and ruin the edge.

13. - Top - End - #73

NinjaGuy

After the adrenaline from the previous skirmish has faded, Geraldo turns to Solstafir and says, "Sorry about doing more damage than necessary to the head. Being in this dungeon has me on edge and that thing had less vitality than I realized."

He then notices that Orchid has started searching for traps and mentions, "If you find any, I'll help to disable them. Give me a holler." He then starts skulking around the room trying to sniff out any unusual scents.

Spoiler: Disable Device
    Show
    If needed: (1d20+10)[29]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After careful examination, It appears the sarcophagus like statue is just a hunk of rock. The craftsmanship of the carving is surprisingly novice on close inspection.

What you do find, however is a small gap behind the statue, carved into the wall. Working together to shift the heavy hunk of humble stone, you find a small pouch squatting in the recess of the wall that contains two rubies worth 100gp each and coinage worth a total of 300gp.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"Found a couple of rubies and a good amount of gold!" Orchid says aloud. She then moves the pouch of loot into her haversack. She then takes a step back to look at the sarcophagus.

"...This sarcophagus looks a lot better in the distance than up close. Kind of like the adventurer I used to work for."

16. - Top - End - #76

Chimera

Perhaps the others are looking at her; Aertre suspects so but keeps her face averted, as if looking around, while mentally cursing herself. So far she'd have to be considered a pretty poor reincarnation of her Aunt; she'd bungled her first spell and hadn't even been able to master herself to cast a second.

She wasn't sure why that bother her — she'd spent the past few months telling anyone who would listen she didn't want anything to do with her violent aunt's spirit — but it did.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"Guess just the third door's left then unless there's a secret passage somewhere." Solstafir walked the edge of the room, checking the stonework, occasionally rapping on the wall with his knuckles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stonecunning allows me a free search check whenever within 10 feet of unusual stonework, modifier is +3.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Discovering no secret passages as you go, you enter the third door from the primary chamber. Another corridor 10 ft in width, this one much longer than the previous two. You eventually come upon a door.

There don't appear to be any special passages and this door is much like its predecessors.

Spoiler: Listen Check DC 15
    Show
    Aertre (1d20-1)[2]
    Geraldo (1d20-1)[1]
    Orchid (1d20+1)[4]
    Solstaif (1d20-2)[-1]
    Levyk (1d20+3)[7]
    Thanquil (1d20+6)[11]

The dull sound from outside of rain, wind, and thunder give the corridor a creeping ambiance. A cursory search finds no traps or locks.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-11-30 at 05:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid clutches her scythe tightly. "I hope there are no monsters past the door."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"I rather hope we finally get something able to take a hit or two. I expected much better thaan those pathetically weak fuzzballs." Previously the dwarf hadn't given much thought to the others' motivations, but it became increasingly clear some of their reasons for being here were involuntary or semi-voluntary, thus hoping for an easy ride instead of seeking challenges like he did. He grunted in displeasure. Nothing he could do about that.

Despite its weakness he had collected the bigger fuzzball killed by his hammer. If they found nothing stronger behind the final door it would have to do as the first zombie he creates once he wields the power of necrocarnum.

Without much pomp he threw the door open, keeping his harpoon at the ready.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The door swings wide revealing a dark room, the light shining into it from the party's various light sources, you all see several moldering tables casting long shadows across the far wall, you see rusty implements of iron lie scattered across tables, a strange rope swings lazily from a recess in the ceiling in the middle of the room, tiny rivulets of water flowing down its coarse surface, surrounded by free falling droplets of water. Underneath an old iron drain devours the falling liquid, surrounded by dark stains.

Among the tables, barely audible whispers immediately cease with the door's opening and three humanoid monsters raise themselves to their full height. Each standing over six and a half feet, grotesquely burly, eyes aglow with a dim red blaze. Their noses are long and flat, ears nubby and gnarled, jaws lined with jagged teeth. They growl a gravelly grumble in unison. They wear patchwork iron armor and raise their makeshift iron implements as they prepare for combat.

Initiative:
    Hobgoblins (1d20+1)[15]

Aertre (1d20+3)[5]
    Geraldo (1d20+2)[7]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[19]
    Solstafir (1d20+3)[11]
    Levyk (1d20+0)[20]
    Thanquil (1d20+3)[18]

Orchid, Levik, and Thanquil have initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-01 at 05:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Third fight. Now! It was time for Levyk to show the others, that he can fight (and hit). He focuses on one of the bugbears. With everything he has, physically and divine, he fuels his attack and charges.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack modifier:
    Bab: +1
    Charge attack: +2
    Strength with Rage: +4
    Power Attack: -1
    Smite evil: +3
    =+9
    (1d20+9)[14]

Damage:
    1d10
    Str: +6 (two handed)
    Smite evil: +1
    Power Attack: +2
    =1d10+9
    (1d10+9)[12]

23. - Top - End - #83

Thanquil shuddered as the door opened on what looked to be a horrific torture chamber inhabited by monstrous hobgoblins. He starts to take a step back but holds himself thinking I will not show fear. Then for strength he begins to sing a song of the old heroes that his brother taught him. Taking courage from the song and the memories of his brother he holds fast, drawing his bow and nocking an arrow in preparation to shoot.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Starts bardic music to Inspire Courage, the party gains a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why!?" Orchid shouts in a mix of annoyance and disappointment that there were actually hostiles behind the door.

"Grease!"
    She shouts, while going through the casting motions. Soon, grease appears under the feet of her enemies.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Grease requires a DC 14 Reflex save.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2019-12-02 at 09:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Reflex Saves:
    Hobgob 1 (1d20+1)[8]
    Hobgob 2 (1d20+1)[18]
    Hobgob 3 (1d20+1)[12]

Levyk, empowered by Thanquil's song, rushes out from the gap past Solstafir, his waraxe making its way into hobgoblin flesh, finding a gap in the armor between the creature's neck and shoulder, the hobgoblin gurgles briefly as blood spills onto the ground, mixing with the grease below.

The other two Hobgoblins slip on the suddenly greased stone, collapsing prone as they track the dwarf's reckless onslaught, their companions gore darkening their complexion further as they are spattered by a rain of blood.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-02 at 07:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Feeling the slickness of the stone beneath them, but able to reach Levyk, they swing their weapons at awkward angles, mustering as much force as they can from their disadvantageous position.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Hobgob 1 (1d20-2)[2]
    On a result of 18 (1d20-2)[10] to confirm
    Dealing (1d8+1)[9] damage plus (1d8+1)[3] on a critical hit.

Hobgob 3 (1d20-2)[16]
    On a result of 18 (1d20-2)[15] to confirm
    Dealing (1d8+1)[8] damage plus (1d8+1)[2] on a critical hit.

One of the rusty makeshift iron weapons finds its way into Levyk's side, tearing open his flesh, leaving a great gash as crimson lifeblood seeps down to join the foul ichor of Levyk's slain foe. Levyk takes 8 damage.

All players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-02 at 07:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

NinjaGuy

After seeing Levyk get wounded by one of the dungeon's denizens, Geraldo also charges in to try to bring a swift end to the prone creature. Drawing upon his various studies and recent experiences, he attempts to strike a lethal blow.

Spoiler: Charge the Gob
    Show
    Charge attack using an inspiration point
    (1d20+12)[17]
    If the attack connects, will use an inspiration point on damage
    (1d12+6)[13]

28. - Top - End - #88

Chimera

Aertre's face darkens as the scene unfolds and her arm jerks up, almost of its own accord. The air crystalizes in front of her outstretched fingers and a bullet of ice hurtles toward one of the sprawled assailants before bouncing toward its companion.

"Die!" she cries, in a voice a good bit deeper than its usual pitch. A gust of wind swirls around her, and for a moment she actually seems to gain in stature — or perhaps she just stood up straighter.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+3)[23] Ray of Frost touch attack vs. Goblin 1 (or both 1 and 3, if they're adjacent, using Leraje's Ricochet ability), for (1d3+3)[4]
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-12-02 at 10:49 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir joined the fray, storming into the room with heavy footsteps, reaching for his trusted axe as the harpoon clattered to the ground. If he had any misgivings about striking at an opponent lying on the ground it didn't show, driving the axe down with a vicious chop.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stone Bones because why not have even more DR
    attack - (1d20+6)[24] slashing damage - (1d10+4)[8]
    On hit Levyk heals 2 HP from my Martial Spirit stance.

30. - Top - End - #90

Upon seeing the savage wound dealt to Levyk, Thanquil rushes forward and casts Lesser Vigor, granting Levyk Fast Healing 1 for 11 rounds.