New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

Spoiler: Orchid's Elixir
    Show
    There's something missing. It's quite the unpleasant draught, but seems to have no immediate noticeable effect. Please add 0.5 to the Action Points on Orchid's sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The time has come once again and it is time to return to the Dungeon. Each of you gathers your equipment, preparing for the journey to the fortress.

As before, the procession of delvers passes by the enormous obelisks, inscribed with the names of those who have fallen to the Dungeon, it seems the current obelisk has nearly been completely filled with names. A few of the low-ranking bureaucrats with their small round hats continue inscribing names magically enchanted to provide additional information about the fallen heroes.

A stout dwarven taskmaster is shouting at a variety of workers who are laying the foundations for a new obelisk monument. Oxen pull carts filled with materials and a few magic-users seem to be assigned to assisting in shaping and molding the materials, likely a cushy gig compared to risking one's neck in the Dungeon.

The procession passes by the last of the obelisks, where even a hush falls over them, viewing the shattered remnants, a reminder of the lives and records lost the last time creatures escaped the Dungeon. The greenhorns whisper to each other while the veterans simply press forward.

In the distance at the base of the mountain rises a large structure made of dwarvencraft stonework, plants have been magically encouraged to shape themselves to the structure's support. An enormous stone wall capable of supporting 4 men standing shoulder to shoulder on the width of its towering battlements surrounds an expanse of land called The Dungeon Courtyard, but colloquially referred to as simply the yard. Before that, an enormous moat filled with jagged barbed spikes, and running water. The drawbridge to the Dungeon has already been lowered by the time you arrive in preparation. Here, outside of the fortress, the enterprising merchants begin to set up their carts and wares.

Passage across the drawbridge is closely watched by several heavily armed city guards, a post often taken by successful Delvers desperate to never return to the forsaken Dungeon, and is being managed by several bureaucrats, obvious by their emblematic garb, tall round hats, and the potent stink of ink. The bureaucrats ominously copy information from your papers onto their books, stamp your papers and direct you into the yard. You know this process is used to keep track of the death toll.

As you pass over the drawbridge you see numerous doors and stairs to the battlements on the outside of the wall. You pass through the wall, seeing the numerous metallic portcullises and gates suspended overhead, you emerge into the yard. You see numerous seasoned Delvers, including some that you know, famous heroes and celebrities often talked about. Celebrities such as Mialee the grand elven sorceress, Harran the Iron Dragon, Sword Saint Noctis, the Ephemeral Valan. You also note the hundreds of murder holes in the walls of the yard, it appears this place was designed as a kill box in the event anything should ever exit The Dungeon uninvited again.

Numerous guards patrol the area, some simply watching the crowd, others fortifying and repairing the wall with tools and magic. The dull roar of the chatter of those Delving today comes to a sudden stillness after the deafening blast of a trumpet. The Magistrate, with her especially tall round hat, steps onto a raised platform at one side of the yard and in a loud voice begins making announcements. Most of them are irrelevant to you and pass you by in anxious anticipation. Unlike the first time, your team is called out relatively early on the list, as you're now more veteran than most of the delvers near you.

Liselle, Orchid and Solstafir are joined by Abigail, Alistair, and Levi.

You each make your way towards the large temple-like structure in silence, as is tradition. Guards face both in and out towards the entrance, but they've already parted ways to make room. The six of you march to face your fate, ascending the white steps one by one you enter the large structure. Support columns clearly rigged to be quickly destroyed to collapse the structure line the left and right side of this hall. As you proceed deeper into the structure it seems the light from outside struggles harder and harder to reach you until you feel a strange sickening sensation of a shift in gravity as you pass through space-time to enter... The Dungeon.

Dungeon Chamber 1:
    It takes a moment for those eyes not gifted with low-light or darkvision to adjust, but no time whatsoever for you to feel the biting cold. You seem to be in some kind of stone structure, except there is a layer of ice floe covering all the stone, the floor is a bit slick (half speed, or balance DC 10 to move at normal speed in this area). The room layout is a semi-circle, with a singular door on the flat wall ahead.

There do not appear to be any immediate threats, but the cold is extreme (around -30 celsius/-22 farenheit), requiring a Fort DC 15 or take 1d6 non-lethal damage.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ogre in the Playground

A shiver goes up Orchid's spine as the the bitter cold strikes her.- the scales of her snakelike lower half being affected most of all. Thinking fast on her feet, from her haversack she hastily dumps out two sets of firewood. With her own flint and steel, she swiftly started a fire to hopefully halt the cold.

"That should buy us a little time. I'm going to need a minute to setup a resist energy to at least buy us some time against this cold. Everyone that needs it, raise your hand." she asks of the now larger party as she begins to focus.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm assuming the fastest she can get the wood out and start a fire is two rounds, so I'm going to roll two saves for that and then I'm gonna roll UMD on spell storing item to create a mass resist energy.

Activating Insignia with Divine Insight to boost UMD by 8 because I absolutely don't want this to fail.
    UMD: (1d20+25)[44]vs DC 29

Fort saves: (1d20+9)[18] (1d20+9)[16]
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The halfling with an old face and dresses like a street rat surveys the icy terrain.

"Welp. This is a great starting point."

Levi closes his eyes and in a second, his figure levitates in which his eyes open again. He turns to the Naga.

"No need to include me. I am not affected by the cold. Share with those who need it. Before we go, may I imbued each of us with a preventative measure?"

Show
    Activate Fell Flight Invocation(24 hours)

If any members agree, he will imbued them with a use of healing devotion, refreshing his uses with his renewable stock of turn undead.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair Edsarn

The burly human with bow and daggers raised a hand.

“I do,” he said, “I had no idea it could get this cold down here.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #1086

AssassinGuy

Levi puts his hands on his chin.

"On second thought. I will need it since it will help against the potential creatures we will fight against."

He raises his hand.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Earlier that morning

As the morning sun rose in the east Sister Abigale was already up and pacing back and forth. The night before she had spoken to her brother Tarith about coming to look after their sister Sara while she was gone and he had promised he wouldn't be late. Yet here it was a quarter past first light and he still wasn't here. "I told you he would be late." came Sara's calm voice from the kitchen table where she was calmly sitting drink from a cup of tea. "He always comes after the monkey bites the cookie, never before." To anyone listening in such a statement would seem odd and out of place, after all it was, however to Sister Abigale who was used to the small amount of insanity her sister had suffered when the two were young it was almost normal. "I know he will be here Sara, but this was important. You know I don't like leaving for long periods of time with you being all alone, what if someone..." she starts before Sara cuts her off. "I'm blind not stupid, and crazier then a goblin with a wand of fireball. Everyone knows it, even me. If you forget though I also have "the sight", or the talent for divination magic as they learned when they left the orphanage and were no longer learning only what it wanted them to, and can tell when danger is coming my way. Speaking of which he's here."

It was at that moment a knock came on their simple wooden door as it opened to reveal their brothers smiling face. "I know I know, but look I grabbed breakfast for me and Sara." he says holding out two crescent shaped pieces of bread. "It's okay, just be safe and take care of her Tarith. No funny business with bringing her into your cons, if you do this I may even give you a piece of my share instead of funneling it all into medical supplies for the poor district as well as food for everyone." she says knowing the easiest way to get her brother to do something is to offer him something in return. She never knew what it would be, however she would always take what was left behind as a payment for him taking care of their sister while she was gone.

At the ceremony leading to the Dungeon

As the group passes the many constructed obelisks Sister Abigale bows her head in prayer to her lost siblings, it was a small ritual she did each time she left as she silently asked them to watch over her when she entered the dungeon, asking them to help her not lose anyone else. It was a simple gesture and no doubt purely superstition, however in the end it gave her comfort thinking that perhaps just maybe they could see her now, older and with silver hair like no doubt they would by this time in their lives had they lived. As the group she was with walked along in silence she looked to the others to take in their appearance and try to get a feel for who they were or what their motives might be. Her own were rather simple, she had been told by the shining one that the cure to her affliction was within the dungeon, and when she was offered a deal to keep a sponsors chosen alive and in return he would help her try and find a cure she could not refuse.

Spoiler: Sense motives
    Show
    She is trying to get a feel for everyones overall demeanor, do they seem more like a bunch of murderhobos, or more along the lines of if we don't do this people will die which is bad. Or someonewhere in the middle.

(1d20+7)[8] Liselle
    (1d20+7)[21] Orchid
    (1d20+7)[21] Solstafir
    (1d20+7)[21] Alistair
    (1d20+7)[27] Levi

Once inside the dungeon Sister Abigale notices the cold and immediately gets ready to cast a spell to protect the others when one of the people she has just meet asks if the cold is bothering anyone else, and that they could help everyone. "If it helps I could do it instead so you can save your own powers. My name is Sister Abigale and while I may not be able to help much in a fight," she says as she looks at everyone else with their magical gear versus her simple peasant clothes that she had made herself, "I should be able to support you all when it comes to healing, curing most aliments, and aiding in matters like this." she says referring to the cold everyone seems to be suffering from, and while it was indeed cold to her, it was not so bad as to harm her as it seemed to be doing to a few of the others.

"Thank you, Orchid?" Sister Abigale says, unsure if that was the persons name or not who had cast the spell. "Perhaps we should all get to know what to expect for each other before we continue on so that we know how best to aid one another?" so saying she casts a simple Abjuration spell as she recites a short scripture from the top of her head, asking Pelor to shield them from the cold and to aid them in their trials ahead.

Spoiler: Mass Conviction
    Show
    Everyone gains a +3 morale bonus on saving throws for the next hour.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

At their arrival in the ice-haunted cave Solstafir showed a rare sign of discomfort, fiery orange eyebrows knitting together on copper skin. His very presence seemed to radiate heat, the heat of a thousand forge fires ringing with the steady rhythm of hammer kissing anvil, the heat of the draconic blood coarsing through his veins carrying ancient power. The power of the Fireblood, a legacy he tapped into ever deeper with each time he entered the Dungeon and emerged stronger. And this blood, this heritage, it avoided the cold with oil's disdain for water. With a short effort of will, he channeled a sliver of his Essentia through his arm, into the high shield of black chitin where it coarsed through the skin become armor of the mightiest creature his group had slain yet. Almost immediately, a relaxed sigh escaped the dwarven smith as the biting cold faded to a temperate neutral. "There. Much better. Don't mind the zombie."

The request, if it could be called that, was directed at the newcomers to the party, given Liselle's and Orchid's growing familiarity with the undead creatures he habitually animated from the Dungeon's denizens. The horse-sized spider with gray, decaying gaps in its shell would make for a more imposing figure if it didn't inexplicably wear a belt and a tiny pair of red silk slippers of all things on its two hind-most legs, giving this walking nightmare of arachnophobes everywhere an almost comical appearance.

The same can't be said for the dwarf themself, who from the body of a vargouille fashioned into a helmet to the adamantine plate incorporating the exoskeleton robbed of some large monster's bone structure made no secret to what purpose he delved Solum's Dungeon. "I can cut things, slow them down with harpoons, and if I lie down doing nothing while a troll whales at me it will probably fall over dead and crispy before I do. Oh, and..." Seeing Orchid attempt to spark fire from wooden logs with nothing but flint and steel Solstafir breathed a gout of intense flame at the heap, the side exposed to the gust turning from bark to ash and glowing embers near instantly.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2021-12-11 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

As the older human woman gets a better look at the dwarf she realizes very quickly why he delves into the dungeon. Making a name for himself wasn't just enough, people had to be able to recognize him easily as well, and looking at the gear he was wearing from the different monsters he had no doubt slain it would definitely be easy to spot him in a crowd. Perhaps this is why she had been hired to keep them alive, they were slowly gaining fame, and stood out more so then most others?

At the mention of the undead spider you can see Sister Abigale's skin actually shiver as she takes another step in the opposite direction of the creature. I have worked with others who thought using the undead was a good idea. And I will say the same to you as I did them. So long as it stays away from me, and you keep it under control I will not destroy it. Though if we are surrounded by a bunch of undead enemies I would advise getting it further away as I can attempt to turn the undead to dust. It is not as powerful as other priests of the shining one, as I choose to walk a different path, but it should clear out the weaker lots.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2021-12-11 at 03:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir gave an indifferent shrug. "Unless I find a good body they're free and disposable. We killed like, what, sixteen of these spiders? I still have a spare in my bag of holding."
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid recoils and jumps bit from the sudden burst of flames that immediately light the wood on fire despite any stray flames harmlessly flowing off her golden draconic scales. She then gets close to the fire once more, deciding to use it as a catalyst.

"Yes, my name is Orchid."
    the young serpentine lady says.

"I'm an Artificer- though I supposed grafter might be a better word for it at that point- maybe Fleshwarper for the technique I use for my grafts?" she states, taking a moment to highlight the long golden serpentine tail that had replaced her legs; the golden scales that adorn most of her tail, body, and face; the unnaturally sharp claws on her hands and the large golden wings on her back- notably all showed no real signs of scaring or surgery as compared to traditional grafting. On all this, she wears a maid outfit that's commonly seem from the staff of one of the nobles that has a hint of chain underneath. Behind her, an animated wooden chest with arms seems to be following her closely.

"I've also been one of the primary casters- though I can't cast that many different spells. So I typically carry more than a few scrolls on me. If we make it out again, and still wish to continue to the next dungeon dive then I can offer you all my crafting services at a discount." she informs the sister and she draws out a coal from the fire. She then taps herself, Alistar, Liselle, and Levi all granting the effects of resist energy.

"That should cover us for 15 minutes.I can do it a few more times if need be."
    she states, tossing the coal back into the fire.

"Plus that Salamander and drider I believe Thanquil is holding onto for us."
    Orchid adds.

Show
    Splitting Mass Resist energy among 4(Orchid, Liselle, Alistar and Levi.) Duration is 15 minutes and stops 10 points of cold damage.
    Assume Orchid's familiar is hiding in her back due to the cold. Chester will follow behind Orchid for now since as a construct he likely isn't affect by the cold. During their traveling time from now on, she's gonna start on the 10 minutes

Spoiler: Sense Motive results
    Show
    It doesn't seem like Orchid has violent tendencies at all despite the numerous alterations to her body.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2021-12-11 at 05:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Fort
    Show
    [roll0][roll1] - as I understand it, these two would be before Abigale buffs us, so, rolling at +11.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Liselle's clearly no stranger to violence. But she seems both entirely comfortable around Solstafir and Orchid... and distinctly unenthusiastic about being on a delve.

"And now that we're up to 6 people, maybe you'll have enough votes to try the next Death Door for some replacements, hm?"

Liselle went to join the group around the fire once Solstafir got it going. She'd always been dependent on the rest of her team's magic (and/or campfires) to protect her from environmental dangers. And in turn, she and Solstafir had been responsible for protecting the others from violent dangers. Looking at their three new recruits... Well, it didn't look like that part of the job had changed much. Alistair, at least, seemed to have brought a weapon (even if it was only as large as the smallest weapon she herself bore) - Levi and Abigale didn't appear to be (visibly) armed at all.

"Alright, so, as you can tell by the weapons, " Liselle is carrying 6 that the others can see - three swords, a spiked chain, a heavy flail and a longbow - "I hit stuff for a living. Used to be guards and people who didn't pay off the right gang, then I got caught mid-burglary, and now it's whatever monsters the dungeon throws at me." Liselle's punishment had been conscription, so here she was. No matter how little she wanted to be. "Going by the light weaponry, I'm guessing you three new recruits are all casters? Guess it figures that's what they'd pick to replace our old Bard..."

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair Edsarn

“I can cast, I am a full member of the Order of Illiander,” Alistair said, as he held up his holy symbol, “and along with everything that comes with that, I’m also a fair fighter and will work to help open up enemies with whomever is near me, if it comes to close combat. I also know a great deal about most creatures, and can point out weaknesses of theirs.”

Spoiler
    Show
    full cloistered cleric (I made up the deity, hope that is ok) and Alistair has island of blades martial stance, so flanks with adjacent allies.

Physical description:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fair skinned and solidly built with a large frame for a human, Alistair has clearly seen his share of winters. His beard and temples are flecked with grey, and his cheeks are hollow, as if he had starved during his life and they never properly filled out again. Despite this, the rest of him appears to be fit and athletic, if not overly muscular. A thin white scar runs from the bridge of his nose and over one cheek, a reminder of some past scuffle. He carries a pair of daggers in holsters on his belt, and a weapon sleeve, probably for a bow, across his back.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-12-11 at 07:29 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

14. - Top - End - #1094

AssassinGuy

"Name's Levi. Warlock; pacts, blasting, and other stuff. I prefer attacking from range. I can also help with the scouting and act as backup healer if needed."

The halfling turns to Solstafir, shrugging.

"I've seen worst horrors than your pet spider. No problem with docile undead unless it becomes a threat to the group. And keep em far from me when we are fighting undead. Like our cleric, I can vaporize undead."

Levi twisted back to his original position so that his face is facing the party.

"By the way, before we go through those doors, may I imbued each of you with a preventative measure? It is a death cushion that activates and heals you when you go down. I am still waiting for answers."

Show
    If any member agree, he will transfer a daily use of healing devotion to them, refreshing his daily uses with his renewable turn undead.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-12-11 at 09:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    "Name's Levi. Warlock; pacts, blasting, and other stuff. I prefer attacking from range. I can also help with the scouting and act as backup healer if needed."

The halfling turns to Solstafir, shrugging.

"I've seen worst horrors than your pet spider. No problem with docile undead unless it becomes a threat to the group. And keep em far from me when we are fighting undead. Like our cleric, I can vaporize undead."

Levi twisted back to his original position so that his face is facing the party.

"By the way, before we go through those doors, may I imbued each of you with a preventative measure? It is a death cushion that activates and heals you when you go down. I am still waiting for answers."

Show
    If any member agree, he will transfer a daily use of healing devotion to them.
    “Yes of course, with thanks,” Alistair replied, “every little bit helps.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-12-11 at 09:17 PM.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"...Well, I wasn't planning to 'go down' in the dungeon, but it never hurts to take precautions... Sure, go ahead."

As she waited by the fire, Liselle used the time to add a couple of extra buffs to herself. The first being Expansion (increasing her size to 'Large'), followed by Precognition, Defensive, Precognition, Offensive, and Force Screen. This would, presumably, be enough to inform the others that she was some kind of Psion...

...Oh, but this was the first time she'd used Expansion in front of the other delvers, wasn't it? That was reason enough for her to excitedly tap Orchid on the shoulder once her manifesting was done, and pose her now-much-larger body once she'd gotten Orchid's attention. You'd almost swear she was a kid trying to show off a cool trick to her friends... which, to be fair, was more inaccurate than outright wrong.

"Hey, look what the school taught me this time! Shame I didn't have enough time off to try this out in a tournament, huh?"

Spoiler
    Show
    3pp on Expansion, for a 60-minute duration. 1pp each on the precognitions and Force Screen, for a total of 6pp spent.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Group Listen checks
    Show
    Only rolling for those that might hear:
    Liselle (1d20+11)[16]

The ice slowly melts around the crackling campfire and a gentle veil of steam travels up around around the fire a short ways before freezing again and falling back down towards the flame. Even with the protection of magic, the warmth of the flame is a very welcome phenomenon. All seems quiet.

Having had time to introduce yourselves, and take better stock of your surroundings you can also see that this chamber is rather tall, extending upwards about 60ft. There is a maze of icy rafters above with large icicles hanging down. It seems the flat wall which boasts the most prominent feature of the partially iced over door only extends up about 50 of those feet and there is a gap above, though the space between the top of the wall of the wall and the icicle covered ceiling is largely occupied by the rafters and ice.

Levi, capable of seeing perfectly in darkness, flight, and having a small stature, estimates he might be able to squeeze (squeezing rules) through one of the gaps.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-12-12 at 09:09 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Abigale nods her head in understanding at Solstafir reasoning. She didn't like undead, nor necromancers in general, however so long as the populace wasn't being harmed she saw no harm in a single one fully under the wielders control to help clear the dungeon.

As the Draconic woman with wings introduces herself and explains that she was not always as she is now, that she in fact did the surgeries to make herself this way Sister Abigale was a mix of impressed and surprised. After all her own sister refused to allow her to return her sight through magic, yet here this woman was with wings and a serpentine lower body. In the end her curiosity and medical abilities won out as she listened intently to what Orchid had to say. "May I?" she asks referring to the areas that were grafted upon to look at the scaring.

Spoiler: If allowed
    Show
    Heal check to determine how well they were healed/taken care of (1d20+17)[21]
    "This is amazing Orchid, I have worked with quite a few groups over the years. However none have shown the medical talents that you are, just look at this, its almost as if you were born with these!" she says excitedly as she examines each graft with great enthusiasm.

"While I thank you for the offer Orchid, I have sword to a life of helping the people. So in truth you all will be getting a larger sum then normal for this size crew. I only require enough gold to buy some resources to help me treat the people in the poor district medically, as well as take care of my sister and pay the man watching her while I am here and everything else is yours." she says, letting the group know that she was not really here for the gold. "In truth I am here to make sure each one of you succeed and do not fall. My talents as a healer are decently well known by this time, and their are fewer and fewer of the next generation who are looking into the art of healing so I am trying to find a successor along the way."

"Yes as a healer I have sworn off Violence of any kind unless it is against very specific enemies. And I know what you are going to say, am I insane to go into the dungeon with a refusal to kill anything. Perhaps if we live through this one I'll share the story as to why I don't." she replies to Liselle. "Think of me this way, I make sure whatever the monsters do to you, won't bring you down so you can make it home to whatever is waiting for you along the other side." she says, hoping that would alleviate some of Liselle's possible concerns.

Spoiler: Religion check on the order of Illiander
    Show
    (1d20+12)[27]

Rubbing her old wrinkled hands together near the fire she listens to What Alistar has to say and nods as she tries to determine what she knew of his order.

Turning As Levi introduces himself and states what he can do, and states that he is also still waiting on an answer to his question the old woman shakes her head. "Sorry dear, my hearing must be going. I'll take it, after all my job is to make sure you all stay standing in a fight. And I often forget about myself. Thank you very much." she says accepting and observing how he does the spell or ability to perhaps one day try and learn it herself.

As Abigale sees Liselle start to cast her spells and begin to grow the woman is impressed, however knows that this is really happening as well, and immediately begins casting her own spells to protect the group. She first begins by drawing rune's in the ice with one of the sticks from the fire before asking for them all to be shielded from the forces of darkness. After that she seems to pull a small portion of the light that seems to surround her and slowly it begins to descend down her body, until at last she is encased in a full suit of armor made of pure light.

Spoiler: Spells Cast and duration
    Show

Mass Conviction (from earlier) probably 58-59 minutes remaining after talking
    Magic circle against Evil +2 Deflection bonus to everyone's ac, as well as a +2 Resistance bonus to their Saves (Abigale only benefits from the second half (later not even that, but its a good party buff which she is all about) 60 mins centered on her
    Luminous Armor +5 Armor bonus to AC (which stacks with Exalted Armor from VoP to my knowledge, sheds equivalent light as a daylight spell(which is more then her nimbus of light did, and anything trying to hit her suffers a -4 to its attack roll (8 hour duration)

Also of note Any weapon striking her must pass a DC 18 Fort save or the weapon shatters (its low now but it will get better in time)
    And anything within 20ft of her must pass a DC 21 Will save or be under the effects of the calm emotion spell (if she is told by the others they don't like it she will restrict its use to when they are encountering monsters)

With the group properly introduced and having an idea what each other are capable of Abigale looks to the door. "I don't know about you youngsters, but this old woman much rather see whats on the other side of that door, perhaps something not cold?" she says with a wistful smile after taking a quick look around the area to make sure there was nothing missed in this room now that they could fully see better.

Spoiler: Spot check
    Show
    (1d20+5)[24]

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

The Artificer looks up at her (now) large friend. "If only I could make a graft that did that- then yould be really big! ...Being bigger than that might get in the way though, but that would deal out a lot of pain." Orchid responds.

Orchid gives her permission to Abigale, and adjusts her clothing and armor as necessary for the sister's examinations.

"They aren't a complete result of medical talents. I'm skilled at it but the last time I tried the surgery route it nearly ended with me dying before I entered the dungeon the first time." she notes, thinking about the past- the memory of the battle behind the first black door sending a shiver up her spine.

"It's the technique that I developed with my assistant that has these results. It comes down to warping body and flesh to accept and meld the grafts for a period of time. Once it's in place, then it functions normally- though now with new developments they work as if they were always part of you. With this technique, it should be possible to remove the graft. Should be, though I haven't found any reason yet to remove any." Orchid informs the sister.

Orchid looks up towards the gap in the wall and then back to Levi.

"If you want to investigate, I can fly you up to the hole. Otherwise I 'm ready to move on through the door."

Show
    If Levi doesn't want to check out the hole, Orchid is ready to move through the door. If it being frozen over would stop us, I assume Solstafir's new breath weapon would melt it away with ease.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The team thaws the door and opens it. As normal, the undead spider takes the vanguard, as it passes through the door it is immediately beset upon by enemies hiding by pressing themsevles against the wall.

Spoiler: Surprise attacks against the spider
    Show
    (1d20+14)[34] to hit - morningstar
    (2d6+6)[11] damage upon hit prior to DR

(1d20+14)[23] to hit - morningstar
    (2d6+6)[11] damage upon hit prior to DR

(1d20+5)[10] to hit - javelin
    (1d8+6)[7] damage upon hit prior to DR

(1d20+5)[11] to hit - javelin
    (1d8+6)[11] damage upon hit prior to DR

As the group catches glimpses of the enemies Solstafir and Orchid immediately recognize them as Ettins, having had a rather dangerous experience with one of their ilk in the past. By the number of attacks against the undead spider, there must be four of them. Each of their two heads having some kind of different winter garb such as ear muffs, a fur hood, a knit cap, etc. They have foot wear that appears to be made to allow them to move freely on the ice and thick animal hide armor.

Based on the size of the enemies and (presumed) party positioning, Abigail estimates the Ettins using melee attacks must be just outside of her aura.

Initiative:
    Enemies: (1d20+4)[24]
    Abigail (1d20+2)[11]
    Alistair (1d20+5)[17]
    Liselle (1d20+14)[25]
    Levi (1d20+7)[14]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[13]
    Solstafir (1d20+9)[11]

Liselle has initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-12-13 at 12:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Show
    Balance - (1d20+11)[21]

With the enemy sheltering behind the walls, there's no way for Liselle to charge any of them. Of course, that doesn't stop her just passing through the doorway normally and attacking one of the ones on the right with her spiked chain.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    As per usual, Liselle's starting in Child of Shadow stance, so anyone trying to AOO against her has to beat the 20% miss chance, too.

With the size increase, Liselle's Spiked Chain can hit anything up to 20' away. If that's close enough to get the javelin ettin on the right of the door, she'll do that - otherwise she's going for the warhammer ettin on that side.

Liselle's using Power Attack for 6 points, and firing off Emerald Razor. So the attack is at +10, but it's a touch attack.

Emerald Razor - (1d20+10)[22] - Touch Attack, Crit Threat on a 30
    Crit Conf - (1d20+16)[35]
    Damage - (4d6+11)[20] (includes doesn't include 12 points of power attack damage because I copied the wrong thing...)
    Crit Damage - (4d6+11)[20]

And in case they come up, Liselle's max 5 AOOs:

AOO1 - (1d20+10)[17] - Crit Threat on a 30
    Crit Conf - (1d20+16)[31]
    Damage - (4d6+23)[35] (includes 12 points of power attack damage)
    Crit Damage - (4d6+23)[36]

AOO2 - (1d20+10)[16] - Crit Threat on a 30
    Crit Conf - (1d20+16)[36]
    Damage - (4d6+11)[30] (includes doesn't include 12 points of power attack damage because I copied the wrong thing...)
    Crit Damage - (4d6+11)[26]

AOO3 - (1d20+10)[20] - Crit Threat on a 30
    Crit Conf - (1d20+16)[19]
    Damage - (4d6+11)[30] (includes doesn't include 12 points of power attack damage because I copied the wrong thing...)
    Crit Damage - (4d6+11)[31]

AOO4 - (1d20+10)[11] - Crit Threat on a 30
    Crit Conf - (1d20+16)[22]
    Damage - (4d6+11)[23] (includes doesn't include 12 points of power attack damage because I copied the wrong thing...)
    Crit Damage - (4d6+11)[21]

AOO5 - (1d20+10)[23] - Crit Threat on a 30
    Crit Conf - (1d20+16)[24]
    Damage - (4d6+11)[22] (includes doesn't include 12 points of power attack damage because I copied the wrong thing...)
    Crit Damage - (4d6+11)[21]
    Last edited by whoiam; 2021-12-13 at 12:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As Liselle enters the room clambering past the spider zombie, the two closest Ettin's take their attacks of opportunity.

Spoiler: Ettin AoOs
    Show
    Miss on 1: (1d5)[1]
    to hit: (1d20+14)[25]
    damage: (2d6+6)[15]
    On 34 to hit: (1d20+14)[15] to confirm
    On crit: (2d6+6)[15] more damage

Miss on 1: (1d5)[4]
    to hit: (1d20+14)[26]
    damage: (2d6+6)[12]
    On 34 to hit: (1d20+14)[21] to confirm
    On crit: (2d6+6)[13] more damage

Liselle's spiked chain shatters the goggles on one of the javelin-throwing Ettin heads is wearing and tears the balaclava the other head is wearing. The heads start to bicker about how rude that is.

Enemy initiative:
    The Ettins decide to swarm Liselle, deciding the large armed woman is the more threatening target, especially after she rudely damaged their winter wears.

The Ettins who have thrown their javelins have to move in, allowing Liselle to strike, however, between being bum rushed by giants and standing on slick ice her chain doesn't do much other than tear at the animal pelts not finding their flesh. This only makes the Ettins more annoyed and they come down on her with their morningstars:

Spoiler: Ettin attacks vs Liselle
    Show
    Miss on 1: (1d5)[3]
    to hit: (1d20+14)[24]
    damage: (2d6+6)[14]
    On 34 to hit: (1d20+14)[23] to confirm
    On crit: (2d6+6)[14] more damage

Miss on 1: (1d5)[4]
    to hit: (1d20+14)[28]
    damage: (2d6+6)[14]
    On 34 to hit: (1d20+14)[34] to confirm
    On crit: (2d6+6)[12] more damage

Miss on 1: (1d5)[3]
    to hit: (1d20+14)[31]
    damage: (2d6+6)[13]
    On crit: (2d6+6)[14] more damage

Miss on 1: (1d5)[2]
    to hit: (1d20+14)[30]
    damage: (2d6+6)[18]
    On crit: (2d6+6)[16] more damage

Spoiler: Secret skill rolls
    Show
    Move Silently (1d20+13)[27]
    Abigail (1d20+5)[24]
    Alastair (1d20+3)[19]
    Orchid (1d20+3)[8]
    Levi (1d20+4)[12]
    Solstafir (1d20-2)[11]

Hide: (1d20+15)[26]
    Levi's Spot (1d20+2)[19]

A suspiciously large number of the sharp icicles crack and fall down on the group that hasn't yet made it through the door to combat the Ettins Reflex DC 15 to avoid. The large heavy icicles deal (6d6)[20] piercing damage to anyone who fails the save:
    Reflex saves:
    Abigail (1d20+8)[13]
    Alastair (1d20+9)[28]
    Levi (1d20+7)[18]
    Orchid (1d20+6)[22]
    Solstafir (1d20+7)[22]

Spoiler: Enemy status
    Show
    Ettin 1 is unharmed
    Ettin 2 is unharmed
    Ettin 3 has taken 32 damage and has thrown its javelin
    Ettin 4 is unharmed and has thrown its javelin

The party has initiative.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

"My, if you always were this eager I wouldn't have been left hanging at the last Door." The way Solstafir said the word seemed filled with meaning, beyond the mere description of a threshold. He moved to join the fray, though much to his frustration his steps were slow and shuffling instead of spurred by eager speed, but his mood was much improved by the gout of flame errupting from his mouth to wash over the ettins, tangible tendrils of fire clinging and wrapping around the giants with the smothering possessiveness of an enthralled lover. "Hey big guys, just wondering, can you recognize the bones of your own kind?" His most prized possession from as far back as their first Delve, an overpowering foe gifting him a trophy worn with pride and joy. And soon, it might be joined by its brethren. Going into the middle of the melee with neither fear or hesitation he reached for his ax, blade and wielder alike eager for the taste of blood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Speed down to 15 ft, either move or double move to get adjacent to Liselle and threaten as many ettins as possible.

I use quicken breath, as a Swift action I can use it at any point of my move, whenever the 30 ft line would cath the most ettins
    Fire damage - (6d8)[26] halved, Reflex DC 18 halves again
    Entangle duration - (1d4)[3] rounds, no save
    Cooldown - (1d4+4)[5]

If after the move I have my Standard left I use Crusader's Strike
    attack - (1d20+11)[21] slashing damage - (4d8+5)[19] 19 +1 Fire +1 Electricity + 17 Electricity from Lightning Gauntlets
    on hit Liselle heals (1d6+5)[10]

Spider attack (1d20+7)[21] (1d8+5)[11]

Liselle receives +2 shield AC from Shieldmate feat. If she would get hit I use Shield Block as an Immediate action to raise it to +8 for one attack.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2021-12-14 at 04:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Illiander:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiander is a deity of knowledge, and his clergy seeks to spread this information far and wide even in places they’re not normally welcome. In the long term, they spread their influence by building libraries and schools in places where there are none. They typically will specialize in a specific area, and from what Alistair mentioned earlier, it seems he specializes in knowledge of creatures. Ooc this is a deity I created for this char.

Alistair

Knowledge devotion (Ettins): (1d20+15)[33] edit: +4 hit/damage

Not wanting to get smeared by the Ettins’ attacks as he gets close to them, Alistair casts invisibility on himself first, then moved into a position next to Solstafir, just past him, drawing a kukri on the way and assuming island of blades stance so we both flank whoever we threaten (along with anyone else who gets adjacent to Alistair).
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-12-13 at 06:11 PM.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

"In my free time if you like, and we make it out together I would be willing to lend my medical assistance if you would like. In truth I am curious about your skills and it would give me a chance to see it first hand. In return you would have my medical skills at your service." Sister Abigale offers to Orchid. "Perhaps if we can find a way we would be able to repurpose limbs found in the dungeon and graft them to those who have lost limbs allowing them to go about their lives normally once again instead of hoping that someone with high powered magic was willing to cast spells upon them." the priestess says hoping to build a bridge between them.

As the door is thawed out and the spider is attacked the priestess believes that at least it wasn't one of them being harmed. She could see the use of having the undead set off all attacks. Turning to look at its controller Solstafir " I must admit that will make my life a lot easier in keeping you alive. I see why you keep the creature around." she says as she watches Liselle wade into battle and get surrounded by the larger monsters.

Spoiler: Lore check
    Show
    As she doesn't have the appropriate knowledge skill (1d20+5)[23]

"Well looks like its time to go to work." Abigale says as she sees the others begin to move in aid of Liselle. Moving to stand behind the giant female she places her hand upon the womans back, infusing her with healing energy.

Spoiler: Cure moderate wounds
    Show
    (2d8+16)[27] + 6 Temporary hp and for the next round until she attacks any creature attacking her must pass a Will DC 25 because of healing kicker (Sanctuary)

If this counts as a natural surroundings (1d20+12)[13] Nature check to also add magic of the land for an additional +4hp
    Rolled to low so no bonus regardless

Breakdown is 2d8+6 (levels) +2 from Healing Domain and Touch of Healing increasing CL by 1 each, +4 Healing hands adding Cha to healing spells, +4 Augment healing, +6 temp from Imbued Healing
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2021-12-13 at 06:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1106

AssassinGuy

Levi evades the icicles. He flies forward to a cover where he can see the ettins yet is out of reach of them. He waves his hand and a swarm of bats appears in the space between two giants attacking Liselle. He positions it in a way that the swarm is covering two Ettins and the radius exclude allies.

Show
    Swarm Damage: (1d6)[3]

Ettins damaged will bleed, taking 1 damage per round.

Fort DC 11 or nauseated.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid thinks about the sister's offer as Solstafir melts down the ice covering the door.

"May-" Orchid starts to say before suddenly interrupted by the scene of ettins crowding around Liselle.

With fast thinking, Orchid narrows slithers around the suddenly icefall avoiding the worst of the downpour with her scales only protecting from most minor injuries.

"Let's continue after this." Orchid states, feeling a rising cold up her throat as she recalls her first encounter with ettins.

She takes off into the air, breathes in, and breaths out a cold far harsher that the freezing temperatures present.

Show
    Move action: Orchid moves to an optimal position for her breath weapon utilizing her flight speed- avoiding her allies.
    Standard: Orchid uses her breath weapon against the Ettins: 30ft cone, (6d8)[38] cold damage; DC 17 reflex for half. CD: (1d4+1)[4]
    Damage reduced to 8 due to successful save and DR/magic.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Used the wrong dice for Solstafir's axe
    slashing damage - (3d8+5)[19]

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: A bunch of Ettin saves
    Show
    Vs. Solstafir's Breath - line attack can hit two (standing in a square around Liselle)
    Reflex DC 18 for half of half damage (19 on failed save, 10 on passed save).
    (1d20+2)[19]
    (1d20+2)[14]

Levi's swarm:
    Fort DC 11 vs Nausea
    (1d20+9)[29]
    (1d20+9)[26]

Orchid's cone breath, can hit up to 3 without hitting Liselle
    Reflex DC 17 for half (38 on failed save, 19 on passed save)
    (1d20+2)[8]
    (1d20+2)[20]
    (1d20+2)[6]

The team moves in, weapons and elemental breath weapons unleashed upon the Ettins. Two fall dead from the onslaught.
    One stands, both heads grimacing in pain, seriously wounded.
    The two heads on the healthiest Ettin are saying things in the tongue of giants to each other with looks of disgust and concern about the spider that bit them.

Spoiler: If you can speak giant
    Show
    "What a nasty beasty. Ew! It bit us.
    Did that little woman abandon us? We're going to die!"

Spoiler: Enemy status
    Show
    Ettin 1 has taken a total of 86 damage and is dead.
    Ettin 2 has taken 11 damage, bitten by the spider.
    Ettin 3 has taken 73 damage and is dead.
    Ettin 4 has taken 41 damage and is seriously wounded.

Liselle has not yet acted this round (if no action is posted today I will take Liselle's action tomorrow to move things along).
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-12-14 at 02:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Wall of Blades
    Show

Doubt this'll roll high enough, but might as well try to stop one of those attacks.
    Wall of Blades - (1d20+10)[25]

...Well, she hadn't really been aiming to get herself surrounded, but that was what seemed to have happened. She might have been a little over-enthusiastic in the opening exchanges - that is, she flailed her chain around so hard she barely even landed a single hit. Ugh, just as well there wasn't much of an audience for this; that opening period had been kinda embaressing.

On the plus side, her allies had racked up a couple of kills...

Alright, calm down. She doesn't need the chain's reach anymore, so switch that out for the greatsword. She can't move much with the two surviving Ettins already crowding around her, so switch child of shadows out for a different stance - Punishing Stance. Dodge attacks from the least damaged Ettin (#2) while attempting to down the more-injured of the surviving Ettins (#4).

Spoiler
    Show

No Power Attack, no Maneuvers. Liselle is using a Full attack (everything she did above was either a Free or a Swift action) against Ettin#4 (and #2, if the first attack downs #4) with her greatsword.

Her Concealment has expired now.

Liselle's temporary bonuses for the round are the dodge bonus - +1 AC vs attacks from Ettin #2, the flanking bonus - +2 to hit, the shieldmate bonus (+2 AC, +8 vs first attack that would have hit), her stance bonus - +1d6 damage / -2 AC, and her Sneak Attack - +1d6 damage. Net bonus: +0AC (+6 vs First Hit, +1/+7 vs Ettin #2), +2 to Hit, +2d6 damage.

Attack - (1d20+19)[25]
    Crit threat on a 38 or 39 - (1d20+25)[42]
    Damage - (8d6+11)[37]
    Crit Damage - (6d6+11)[34]

Spoiler: AOOs, if either Ettin tries to retreat
    Show

Attack - (1d20+19)[36]
    Crit threat on a 38 or 39 - (1d20+25)[40]
    Damage - (8d6+11)[48]
    Crit Damage - (6d6+11)[29]

Attack - (1d20+19)[21]
    Crit threat on a 38 or 39 - (1d20+25)[29]
    Damage - (8d6+11)[33]
    Crit Damage - (6d6+11)[31]

Attack - (1d20+19)[37]
    Crit threat on a 38 or 39 - (1d20+25)[30]
    Damage - (8d6+11)[40]
    Crit Damage - (6d6+11)[31]

Attack - (1d20+19)[28]
    Crit threat on a 38 or 39 - (1d20+25)[45]
    Damage - (8d6+11)[33]

Attack - (1d20+19)[26]
    Crit threat on a 38 or 39 - (1d20+25)[40]
    Damage - (8d6+11)[39]

If an Ettin survives long enough for her to need it, she'll use her refreshed Wall of Blades:
    Attack - (1d20+19)[22]
    Last edited by whoiam; 2021-12-14 at 05:39 PM.