New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

The team buffets the enemy with attack after attack. The enemy manages to slip through some attacks and avoid some others, but it seems the sheer quantity is too much for it evade or deal with.

As the attacks hit, phantasmagorical goo spurts from the shadowy stuff within now rather tattered robe which seems to contain its essence.

The supernatural cold ticks again, still rather weak compared to how powerful it had become before: (1d6)[1] untyped damage (the cold can't overcome your resistance)

The enemy vanishes, appearing again 30ft in the air in the center of the combat area. The monster lifts its arms as glyphs appears at the ends of each of its sleeves. The large glyph on the ground briefly lights up again, though it seems that it is draining the last of whatever magic was contained there as it flickers and dissipates at the completion of the Massive Robed Figures' magic. The team feels your life force being forcefully drained. It's unlikely to be able to perform magic like this again.

Each character gains 1 negative level - no save. If you have SR (1d20+9)[26] to overcome. The life force visible invigorates the foe as it enervates you. Some of the tears made in the robe by the team almost seem to sew themselves back up, though it didn't nearly recover the amount of damage it received and still looks rather worse for wear.

Spoiler: Enemy status
    Show
    In flight, hovering 30ft in the air
    Massive Robed Figure: 190 damage taken, 30 health recovered - 160 health lost. The enemy is seriously injured.

The party may act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir was not at all pleased with their enemy retreating into an unreachable position just when he was about to unleash his most devastating attack. He wedged the now useless axe into his armpit to free up his weapon arm, then hurled an oversized harpoon at the floating spectre.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+8)[11] +1 Bless, +1 Haste, +1 Furious Counterstrike, -1 negative level
    piercing damage - (4d8+7)[26]
    miss chance - (1d10)[9]
    Reflex DC 10+damage or harpoon stuff. May not apply due to being only 60% corporeal.

Edit: I forgot to actually change the number after writing out the modifiers, but a 13 is still almost certainly a miss.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2022-02-28 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Levi flinch as visible glow is ripped from him to heal the robe figure who teleported. He waves his hand. A bolt springs and propels towards the Robed Figure.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+8)[16] (+1 to result if target is within 30 ft)

Magic Damage: (3d6)[9] (+1 to result if target is within 30 ft)

Incorporeal Miss Chance: (1d10)[6] (1-4 is miss)

Current Effects: Endure Elements, See Through Darkness, Slowed (4 rounds remaining) (cancelled by Orchid's haste), 20% concealment, Energy Resist (Cold) 10, Flight up to speed (10 ft due to slow 20 ft due to haste cancelling slow), Darkvision & See invisibility, Mass Conviction (+3 morale bonus to save from Abigail), Bless (+1 Morale Bonus to Attack & Saves vs fear from Alistar (Conviction bonus supersede this increment to save), Magic Circle against Evil (if within 10 ft of Abigail), -1 negative level (-1 skill & ability checks, -5 HP, -1 attack & saving throws, -1 effective levels for the purpose of spellcasting)

HP: 38/45

Sheet.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-02-28 at 08:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid flies up part of the way towards the enemy, and then suddenly disappears and reappears in a better position not to far from her previous location. Taking another scroll from her third hand, she gets to work reading it.

Show
    Move action: Move towards the enemy. Standard: Activate a scroll of mass snake's swiftness. Swift: Activate Tailband of Translocation to teleport the remaining distance. Ideally, both movements put Orchid in the best place possible for her to help Alistair flank; even if she provokes or otherwise winds up in a dangerous spot.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-02-28 at 07:32 PM.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: UMD and results
    Show

Scroll UMD: (1d20+20)[35] vs DC 23

If successful, Orchid will make a rending claw attack.
    Rending Claw: Attack(Crit on 28): (1d20+8)[15] Damage: (1d6+4)[7] + 1 + (1d4)[2]
    Crit confirm: (1d20+8)[16] Damage: (3d6+12)[24] + 3 + (3d4)[11]

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair

Being one of the only ones in a good position to continue attacking, Alistair twists and turns as he slices and stabs with his twin kukris.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+14)[32] threat on 18
    Damage: (1d4)[3] + (2d6)[12]+16[/roll]
    Crit threat: (1d20+14)[33]
    Crit damage: (1d4+16)[20]
    Incorporeal: (1d100)[75]

Attack: (1d20+14)[32] threat on 18
    Damage: (1d4)[1] + (2d6)[7]+16[/roll]
    Crit threat: (1d20+14)[23]
    Crit damage: (1d4+16)[18]
    Incorporeal: (1d100)[12]

Attack: (1d20+14)[33] threat on 18
    Damage: (1d4)[3] + (2d6)[11]+16[/roll]
    Crit threat: (1d20+14)[23]
    Crit damage: (1d4+16)[19]
    Incorporeal: (1d100)[41]
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #1297

AssassinGuy

Orchid's spell stimulates his body in particular his hand to launch another magical bolt at the Robed Figure.

Show
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+8)[9] (+1 to result if target is within 30 ft)

Magic Damage: (3d6)[12] (+1 to result if target is within 30 ft)

Incorporeal Miss Chance: (1d10)[9] (1-4 is miss)

Current Effects: Endure Elements, See Through Darkness, 20% concealment, Energy Resist (Cold) 10, Flight up to speed (20 ft), Darkvision & See invisibility, Mass Conviction (+3 morale bonus to save from Abigail), Bless (+1 Morale Bonus to Attack & Saves vs fear from Alistar (Conviction bonus supersede this increment to save), Magic Circle against Evil (if within 10 ft of Abigail), -1 negative level (-1 skill & ability checks, -5 HP, -1 attack & saving throws, -1 effective levels for the purpose of spellcasting), Fast Healing 2 (8 rounds).

HP: 38/45

Sheet.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid warps up to the foe, and swings at it with a claw, though it shifts slightly avoiding the attack.

Levi fires off two blasts, landing both on the large target.

While the monster's attention is on these two, Alistair manages to get into position, slashing his kukris deep into the monster, locating some kind of higher concentration of ephemeral essence within the robes with the first attack. The enemy manages to phase through the second, but with the third, Alistair can feel the core break under the pressure.

The creature appears to release a silent scream as the incorporeal substance within the robes rushes out of the tatters, dissipating. The tattered robe drifts to the ground, now empty, with the supernatural cold vanishing, leaving only the natural cold of being inside of an ice box.

The Tattered Otherworldly Robe seems to have some magical properties (included in the loot).

The Internal Voice says some words inside of your heads:
    Spoiler: If you understand Infernal
    Show
    "You've overcome, so as promised, your reward. I'll prepare something even more challenging for you next time!"

Two tunnels magically open in the ice. From one the characteristic whoosh of the opening of the portal home to Solum opens. The other leads to a chamber filled with treasure!

The treasure room has icy vines going in and out of the walls and twelve strange crystalline Dungeon Fruit hang from the vines. Enough that the party could potentially each eat two. Ice chests full of items and coins are accompanied by piles of coins and items line the walls underneath the vines.

Spoiler: Things known about Dungeon Fruit
    Show
    They disintegrate if they leave the Dungeon, it's either eat them now or lose them.
    They give you benefits of some kind, though the benefit is unknown unless eaten.
    Stories say that there may be some cost to eating them, some Delvers have suffered deleterious side effects, though not always purely negative.

Treasure room contents:
    20,600gp
    Arcane Scrolls:
    • Unseen Servant
    • Protection from Arrows
    • Rope Trick
    • Hypnotism, Summon Monster I, Blur
    • Disguise Self, Blindness/Deafness, Pyrotechnics

Divine Scrolls:
    • Goodberry

Potions:
    • Blur
    • Bull's Strength
    • Cure Light Wounds
    • Cure Serious Wounds
    • Darkvision
    • Jump
    • Lesser Restoration
    • Remove Paralysis
    • Sanctuary

Magic Items:
    • Bag of Tricks (Grey)
    • Bag of Tricks (Tan)
    • Dust of Dryness
    • Ioun Stone (Clear Spindle)
    • Pearl of Power (3rd level)
    • Ring of Climbing
    • Ring of Evasion
    • Metamagic Rod of Empower
    • Metamagic Rod of Maximize, Lesser
    • Tattered Otherworldly Robe

Spoiler: Tattered Otherworldy Robe
    Show
    Market Price: 50,000gp

This Robe grants its user some of the power of the Otherworld:
    Once per encounter you may use One With Shadow (Shadow Hand Maneuver), even if you do not qualify for the maneuver. However, it is not a Maneuver known, can't be refreshed, and doesn't count towards qualifying for other Maneuvers.
    Additionally, you may, as a standard action, choose to become incorporeal. You may be incorporeal rounds rounds equal to 3+charisma score, divided as desired throughout the day.
    While incorporeal, you gain the effects of the Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis) and you may choose upon becoming incorporeal if your weapons and equipment become incorporeal with you.

Spoiler: Full loot from Delve including the above
    Show
    Gold: 34,600
    Arcane Scrolls:
    • Mage Armor
    • Read Magic, Grease, Undetectable Alignment
    • Unseen Servant
    • Protection from Arrows
    • Rope Trick
    • Hypnotism, Summon Monster I, Blur
    • Disguise Self, Blindness/Deafness, Pyrotechnics

Divine Scrolls:
    • Wind Wall
    • Goodberry

Potions:
    • 2x Bull's Strength
    • 2x Blur
    • 9x Cure Light Wounds
    • 2x Cure Moderate Wounds
    • 3x Cure Serious Wounds
    • 1x Darkvision
    • 1x Jump
    • 1x Haste
    • 2x Lesser Restoration
    • 2x Nondetection
    • 4x Protection from Foe
    • 1x Remove Paralysis
    • 1x Sanctuary
    • 12x Water Breathing

Magic Items:
    • Hoinnia's Assassination Rapier (24,000gp market price)
    • +1 Mithral Chain Shirt
    • Ring of Natural Armor +1
    • 2x Ring of Protection +1
    • +1 Composite Shortbow (+2 str)
    • Bracers of Armor +1
    • +1 Defending Longsword
    • Bag of Tricks (Grey)
    • Bag of Tricks (Tan)
    • Dust of Dryness
    • Ioun Stone (Clear Spindle)
    • Pearl of Power (3rd level)
    • Ring of Climbing
    • Ring of Evasion
    • Metamagic Rod of Empower
    • Metamagic Rod of Maximize, Lesser
    • Tattered Otherworldly Robe

The standing question is: do you want to eat the fruit?
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-03-01 at 10:08 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"And those would be the dungeon fruit." Despite pointing them out to her newer allies, Liselle makes no attempt to claim any of the fruit herself. "I'd recommend not eating them, but... well, I'm not the boss of any of you..."

Instead of taking her own two, Liselle would busy herself once again with packing away any loot the others didn't pick for themselves. There wasn't anything in this set she desperately wanted for herself, anyway.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

As the final enemy fades away, leaving its robe behind Sister Abigale lets out a serious cough of pain as blood splatters into her hand. "Really....great job....everyone." she says in between coughs. It takes a few more moments for her to be able to regain her composer and stand straight again as the coughing fit slowly subsides. "Right onto our reward that was promised." she says, softly adding "And still no cure." as she follows the others.

As the arrive in the treasure room and the otherworldly infernal voice speaks some words again she doesn't understand she looks at the strange crystal like fruits hanging from a vine. "I take it those are the Dungeon fruit you warned us about?" she asks, only to get confirmed a moment later. She slowly began making her way over to them, wondering if perhaps she could channel their energy, cure herself. However it was her sisters voice in her head that reminded her that nothing good came from accepting gifts from evil. And so she eventually moved away from the fruits, resisting the temptation, at least this time to try one of the fruits to cure herself. She still had time, she could find another way, she had to. The dungeon fruit would be her last resort she told herself as she went to help the others collect all the loot.

"If no one else would like it, I promised to bring my brother back something for keeping an eye on our blind sister while I was away, could you count the rapier as part of my share? I'll take the rest in coin if that is okay with everyone else, this way I can restock the poor districts medical supplies as well as help pay for some building repairs and such for those in need." she adds, waiting to see if anyone had any objections, however ready to leave this place as soon as they were all ready.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ogre in the Playground

"Feel free too." was the fleshwarper's response as she stared at the rewards.

Turning away from them, Orchid looks a the fruit prisms, debating with herself. She reaches out to one of them testing it with her sharp claws, thinking on the first time she ate one.

"I wonder..." she says aloud.

Resolving herself to at least try to figure something more out about the fruit, she plucks the fruit off and begins to consume it trying to note everything she can about the experience.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-03-02 at 03:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1302

AssassinGuy

His personality back to normal and after healing the party, Levi shrugs as he see Orchid eats one fruit. He picks one and consumes it.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As Orchid eats the strange crunchy fruit-like thing she feels magic welling up within her body. A wildly different taste, texture and experience from the previous Dungeon Fruit she's eaten. The patterns of the ice-like flesh within the fruit is reminiscent of the glyphs the Robed Figures utilized.

Spoiler: QuadraticGish/Orchid Only
    Show
    Up to the others if they want to risk eating this fruit:
    You gain one extra spell slot of the highest spell level you can cast (at level 7) or equivalent. If you are a prepared caster, you also gain a spell known.
    For Archivist Sorcerer, you'd gain a 3rd level Archivist Infusion or a 3rd level Sorcerer spell slot and spell known.

Add 1 Action Point to your sheet.

As Levi eats the strange crunchy fruit-like thing, he feels magic welling up within his body. The patterns of the ice-like flesh within the fruit is reminiscent of the glyphs the Robed Figures utilized.

Spoiler: Yas392/Levi Only
    Show
    Up to the others if they want to risk eating this fruit:
    You gain on extra spell slot of the highest spell level you can cast (at level 7) or equivalent.
    As a Binder/Warlock you would gain another Least or Lesser Invocation of your choice.

Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-03-03 at 04:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1304

AssassinGuy

After experiencing euphoria, Levi nods and eats another fruit.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ogre in the Playground

On finishing the fruit Orchid looks back at her party members with her body filling with arcane might.

"I'm almost positive now. I want to believe that the benefits of the fruit correlate in someway to our challenge here."
    the Artificer announces to the rest of the party.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Upon eating another fruit, Levi feels the magic burn within him.

Spoiler: Yas392 / Levi only
    Show
    Same effect, add another Action Point to your sheet.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair

“Do you feel… worse in any way?” Alistair asked. He was still on the fence about eating the fruit.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

18. - Top - End - #1308

AssassinGuy

"I feel great. Like I am on top of the world."

Levi gestures to the fruits.

"There are enough for each of us if we divide and distribute them in twos. I had my share. Come gorge yourselves on those fruits."

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

As Levi and Orchid eat the fruit Sister Abigale walks over to them. "Are you crazy, what if it poisons you? Quickly tell me how you feel. What's changed?" she asks worried as she immediately tries to check their vitals, among other things she could easily do while in the dungeon to try and see if their were any ill effects to the two of them.

Spoiler: Heal check
    Show
    (1d20+18)[38] Trying to see if there are any oddities that she didn't notice when the group first entered the dungeon. Basically she is testing their pulse, blood pressure, making sure nothing seems to be growing out of them, and the like. Simple stuff, asking questions to judge if their mental state seems to be the same, things along those line.

20. - Top - End - #1310

AssassinGuy

"No need for diagnosis, Abigail. They are safe to eat. I do not know the benefits Orchid got. For me, it boosts my magic and progression. I learned two new invocations and the feeling that I can change fate like getting a second wind in the face of adversity. No side effects."

After the priestess check up on him, he tests his limbs on the ground then flight with no lag.

"See?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-03-04 at 08:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

If Abigale finds nothing wrong with the others who ate the fruit she looks at one, looks back, looks again. Then takes a bite, looking inside to see what she can see.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've done it before." Orchid responds. "I know you're concerned with the rumors that go around about the fruits. I definitely felt a surge of power once I finished my fruit."

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"The issue isn't that they don't work, " Liselle notes, "But rather that their effects are unknown until you eat them, and chosen by a consciousness we don't understand. You are, effectively, putting your life, body and sanity in the hands of the dungeon's guiding intelligence each time you eat. It's a gamble. Is it happy with your performance? Or perhaps so happy it won't let you leave?

The thing about gambling like this is, if you play enough times, the winner is always the person who sets the odds. The only way to guarantee those fruits won't ruin your life... is not to eat.

Me, I have this ambition, to finish my sentence and retire back to Solum. And I was strong enough to earn my fruits without the dungeon's 'help'. So for me, eating them... just doesn't make sense. Why would I risk the future I actually want for a bit of power I don't need? But if you think it's worth taking that gamble... well, it's your life to gamble with.
    "

24. - Top - End - #1314

AssassinGuy

Levi shrugs at Liselle.

"Eh, suit yourself. We are already gambling our lives by dungeon delving and taking this challenge anyways."

He turns to Orchid.

"Looks like we are getting similar power ups. As someone who has consumed two fruits, I can attest that it is safe to eat two."

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not entirely sure on that. There have been more than enough stories floating around about eating too much of it; especially with those that eat too much being unable to return to Solum. When we get back, I'm going to see if I can develop a method of how to identify what properties these fruit have. Hopefully a way to figure out what is too much as well." Orchid responds while sparing a glance at the rest of the fruit.

26. - Top - End - #1316

AssassinGuy

Levi slip on his artificer's monocle, eyes glowing blue (detect magic) and examine the fruits in an attempt to reveal their magical properties, ill and good (identify).

Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) if needed: (1d20+7)[27]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-03-05 at 10:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair

The lure of more power was strong, but Alistair knew he also wanted a way out eventually. He suspected the fruits of this place would bind him to it or the infernal entity somehow.

“I think I’ll pass on the fruit,” he said, “there’s more than enough gold here for now, and the promise of another delve.”
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Abigail finds that there seems to be no apparent negative side effects.

When she takes a bite to see inside one of the fruit, the magic rushes into her.

Spoiler: dantiesilva / Abigail Only
    Show
    You gain one extra spell slot of the highest spell level you can cast (at level 7) or equivalent. If you are a prepared caster, you also gain a spell known.
    Since there's 1 lost progression level on your Cleric casting, it would be a 3rd level Cleric slot or a 4th level Healer slot. You could also add a spell to the spell list for that class.

This is the final chance to eat the fruit.

The fruits are pure Dungeon magic. They can't persist outside of the dungeon, though with so many talented eyes studying them, you find they seem to contain Outsider material that registers as both [Good] and [Evil]. There's no way to really tell what they might do without eating them though.

Investigating the fruit reaps rewards:
    With Abigail, Levi, and Orchid investigating the fruit and sharing what was discovered Orchid makes a connection with her previous research into creating Elixir. The elixir may require some kind essence from an Outsider.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

As Levi, Orchid, and herself discover some new mysteries about the Dungeon fruit she begins to wonder if thats how one were to become an stuck in the dungeon, it slowly transforms more and more of your body into that of an outsider, until at last its effects are so far gone that you can no longer return. "Orchid if you do not mind me asking, how many of these fruits have you eaten before? And when we are back in Solum I would like to do a test, and was hoping perhaps you and Liselle, who I assume has never had any of the fruits before, would be willing to help. Anyone else who would like to help as well is more than welcome to of course." she adds. Not voicing her idea out loud saying it seemed that which created the dungeon was listening and she did not wish for it to catch onto her idea.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've eaten two of them; this one I just finished and one on my first time in the dungeon. I'll gladly help with your experiment." she responds.