New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

Orchid begins to look frustrated that it the foe is still alive. Wanting to remedy this, she brings her scythe down once more, following it up with a twirl and a slam from her tail!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Full Action: Full Attack
    Scythe: Attack: (1d20+5)[14] (bless) Damage: (2d4+4)[9]
    Tail: Attack: (1d20-1)[7] (bless) Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir finally finds purchase on the enemy with his axe, inflicting a heavy wound and reducing the creature's movements even further, but the armored foe continues to write on the ground, not yet defeated in earnest.

Thanquil's arrow weaves between his comrades, but collides uselessly against the thick metal armor.

Orchid swipes her scythe again, glancing off the writhing enemy's form and failing to inflict any damage. Her tail makes a nice noise smacking against the armor, but it has no real effect against the enemy's metal shell.

Spoiler: HP and conditions
    Show
    The enemy takes 9 damage from Solstafir's axe.
    The enemy has taken a total of 20 damage and is prone.

Geraldo and Aertre may still act before the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Aertre steps to the side to get a clearer shot at the armored foe, trying to put it down for good before it could clamber to its feet again.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Cast Disrupt Undead, (1d20+2)[7] touch attack. Includes Dark Knowledge/Bless and prone penalty

(1d6+3)[4] positive energy damage
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

4. - Top - End - #124

Thanquil strides to a flanking position and brings his sword down on to the undead enemy.

Spoiler: attack
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[14], damage: (1d8+1)[5]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Geraldo readjusts his stance to try to get a better aim on the downed foe and attempts to hack into it again.

Spoiler: Wolf Fang Strike
    Show
    Falchion: (1d20+3)[21] plus dark knowledge, plus bless, plus flanking, plus prone to hit (+9)
    Damage: (1d12+6)[18] plus 4 from inspiration point if hit
    Armor Spike: (1d20+3)[16] plus dark knowledge, plus bless, plus flanking, plus prone to hit (+9)
    Damage: (1d6+4)[10] if first attack missed, +4 damage from inspiration point

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As Aertre begins the incantation for her spell, Geraldo's falchion finds the gap underneath the enemy's helmet. The sword clangs against the stone floor as the enemy's head rolls away, separated from the creature's body.

(Aertre can retain the spell slot). The zombie knight defeated, each character gains 600 XP. On the corpse of the foe there is a suit of Full Plate Mail, though battered, it is still functional, as well as a Light Wooden Shield and a Morningstar.

As the head comes to a final stop, the far and left walls begin to shift. Appearing where there was but a blank stone face on the far wall past the disgusting altar appears a vortex of swirling colors and lights. You can vaguely make out the shapes of the support columns rigged to blow and the sunlight steaming into the structure from a distance through the distorted vortex. This may be a portal back to Solum.

On the left wall, a black door materializes surrounded with strange hieroglyphics depicting a party passing through this very door. The next set of hieroglyphics show them meeting a variety of gruesome deaths. The party shown on the door is clearly comprised of three humans, two dwarves, and an elf, you note with an eerie uneasiness. There are no locks on this door.

Exploring the room, you discover a sturdy wooden chest with iron reinforcements crouched behind the sickening altar featuring a old lock with some rust stains dotting its surface. Taking time to search the chest carefully, no traps are identified. Between Geraldo and Orchid, the group makes short work of the lock and opening the chest you discover a trove of goods:

Coinage totaling 1220gp
    A masterwork composite shortbow adjusted for a +1 str modifier
    Two flasks of acid
    Two potions of unknown effect
    Two scrolls of unknown effect

You now have four paths left unexplored:
    Climb the rope in the Hobgoblins' torture chamber
    Proceed down the side path prior to the zombie knight's room
    Enter the strange black door
    Pass through the swirling vortex
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-11 at 07:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

"Nice cut," Solstafir complimented, picking up the undead knight's helmet with the severed head still inside. He met the zombie's dead eyes through the visor for a moment, then it joined his growing collection of corpses. "The armor is still servicable, if anyone wants it I can patch it up. Otherwise it should fetch a decent enough price."

The dwarf seemed oddly undisturbed by the altar, though the hieroglyphs seeming to portend their doom provoked a frown. "Let's check the corridor from before first, then we can come back here."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #128

"That shortbow looks perfectly sized for me, does anyone have a problem with me taking it?" asks Thanquil. "Let's see if I can find out anything about these potions and scrolls as well."

Thanquil then picks up the potions, inspecting them carefully before opening the vial and sniffing the contents. Then he casts read magic and examines each scroll before taking a look at the hieroglyphics for good measure. He scoops the coins into his haversack for distribution later and holds out the flasks of acid "Does anyone want either of these?"

"I agree. Let's continue exploring the corridor for now." Thanquil responds to Solstafir.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Spellcraft to identify potion DC 25
    Spellcraft to identify potion 1: (1d20+8)[15]
    Spellcraft to identify potion 2: (1d20+8)[18]

Read magic allows me to identify the scrolls without a roll, does it tell me anything about the glyphs on the wall?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid's eyes shine at the new loot found until Solstafir mentions the armor. "I don't think I would want to wear anything that... he was wearing. I find armor that heavy uncomfortable anyway. Maybe if it was made out of Mithral I would. I'd still have to size it for myself..." she then stops speaking for a moment staring off at the armor. "I wonder if we could patch it up and try selling it through the shop my father used to run at home. It might be worth a try." she comments. "Going down the corridor seems like a good idea. I'd like to open that black door last in case it shunts us off somewhere else." Orchid then takes use of the downtime to dig some tools out of her bag and begins adjusting her scythe and performing a quick ritual, binding an Earth Elemental onto it which quickly gives it a crystal like appearance.

Show

One Minutes: Spending an infusion on Lesser Personal Weapon Augmentation to give her scythe the Earthbound ability, which gives it a +2 to attack on damage rolls when both she and her foe are grounded. Lasts 10 minutes.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Levyk scans the room (especially the door) if somethings evil is detectable. After 5 minutes looking at the hieroglyphs, he starts laughing: Don't know if this is a good or bad sign, but the guys on the wall here, they look like us! HAHAHAHAHA

I don't have any preferences, where to go next. I'll follow your lead

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The group traces their steps back to the branching corridor, proceeding down it cautiously.

Spoiler: Spot
    Show
    Aertre (1d20-1)[11]
    Geraldo (1d20-1)[0]
    Orchid (1d20+1)[16]
    Solstafir (1d20-2)[15]
    Levyk (1d20+3)[16]
    Thanquil (1d20+2)[8]

The corridor shrinks down as you progress to barely 5ft in width, forcing the group to march single file. You eventually reach an opening into a room, past the gaping maw of the vacant doorway, you can make out rubble strewn about, but nothing particular of interest from this distance.

As you are moving single file, you can choose who will enter the room first.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-12 at 05:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"Mithral, ha? I'll probably go for that as well to replace my current plate, we might get a decent haul out of this Delve. Though with those wings and tail fitting a full suit of armor will be tricky... Seems an interesting enough challenge, once you can afford it pay me a visit. I work at the Brightmane association at the Foundry, take the eastern entrance then go left." Solstafir talked casually as he took the lead down the path, again harpoon held ready. As the corridor got thinner the flickering flames of his mantle began touching the walls on occasion, leaving a blue-white wisp behind for a moment before flickering out.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Forgot about identifying potions and scrolls /Detect Evil see here
    Show
    Based on what Thanquil can deduce of the potion, you have a strong confidence they're beneficial, but their exact function is unclear.

Reading Magic you discover:
    Scroll one is an Arcane Scroll of Protection from Evil.
    Scroll two is a Divine Scroll of Entropic Shield and Flame Blade.

The door's glyphs do not resonate any particular Evil. Only the quickly fading Evil of the zombie knight was in the room.

Stepping over the precipice, Solstafir is suddenly met with resistance, as the near imperceptible strands move with the force of the dwarf's movement, the party's light sources reflect the long strings revealing their presence. Solstafir is Entangled in a web.

A hideous eight eyed, eight legged beast approximately the size of the dwarf himself takes clear advantage of the group's surprise, scuttling down from its hiding spot above the doorway and attempting to bite the dwarf with its long mandibles, dripping a strange clear fluid.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    The Monstrous Spider uses a partial charge for its surprise round.
    (1d20+6)[20] to hit against Solstafir's flat footed AC.
    If it has a critical threat (26), (1d20+6)[11] to confirm.

If it hits it deals (1d6)[2] damage and requires a fortitude save of 12 or suffer (1d4)[1] strength damage.
    On a critical hit add (1d6)[3] damage.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-12 at 07:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Initiative:
    Spider (1d20+3)[6]

Aertre (1d20+3)[15]
    Geraldo (1d20+2)[9]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[20]
    Solstafir (1d20+3)[9]
    Levyk (1d20)[5]
    Thanquil (1d20+3)[17]

All party members other than Levyk have initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-12 at 07:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll be sure to do that. Getting my own measurements is a pain and it has been a long time since I last worked in the Foundry. I might have to wait to get some enchantments done on it though- I don't know if making out of Mithral alone would make it easy mobile enough to allow spellcasting-"

Orchid stops speaking as the oversized spider springs down, making her tense up. Seeing the monster bite down onto her ally motivate her into action letting her swing her scythe to try to cut the webs and use her tail to sweep the rest.
    Show

Full Action: Full Attack, targeting the webs that are tangling Solstafir.
    Scythe: Attack: (1d20+6)[24] Damage: (2d4+6)[10]
    Tail: Attack: (1d20-2)[5] Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

16. - Top - End - #136

Chimera

Perhaps it was the grotesque chamber they'd just exited, or the disturbing wall carving, but Aertre is far more focused as they enter the room, and has her wits collected enough to conjure a swirling ball that grumbles with energy, hurling it at the attacking spider with a loud crack!

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Cast orb of sound, lesser, (1d20+3)[19] touch attack for (1d8+3)[9]

Crit check (1d20+3)[5] for (1d8+3)[4]

— The Dragon, to Grendel

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, poison? Poor thing." Solstafir withdrew his right arm where the spider's mandibles had failed to penetrate his enhanced body, droplets of deadly liquid glistening on pristine skin. His selection of soulmelds had paid off well so far on their Delve. He reached for his axe, eager to add another monster's corpse to his growing collection.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spider takes Fire - (1d6)[6] from hitting me

Vanguard Strike - (1d20+3)[11] includes -2 for Entangle
    slashing damage - (1d10+3)[11]
    If hit everyone gets +4 on attacks against the spider

18. - Top - End - #138

Amazed at Solstafir's seemingly impervious skin, Thanquil fires off a quick volley of arrows at the spider

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Full attack using rapid shot and assuming within point blank shot range
    Attack: (1d20+3)[20], damage (1d6+2)[6]
    Attack: (1d20+3)[14], damage (1d6+2)[8]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Burned by the spectral fire around its would-be prey, the spider begins to recoil as it is hit by a strange ball of noise. With the spider's disorientation, Thanquil's two arrows find their way deep into its body. The creature spills off of its web and onto its back, its legs momentarily twitching in the air for the last time.

The party easily frees Solstafir from the web.

There is a small room with an annoying amount of webbing in this small room. Areas around the door are packed with a variety of sizes of cocoons of web, apparently this spider had been fairly successful previously. There are no doors or other exits and on a cursory glance, nothing of value, just rubble strewn about the room.

Each characters gains 300 XP.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-13 at 10:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

How to clean a room from webs? Burn them!
    Levyk takes his flint & steel, and looks for a stick and some old clothes or so, which he can use as a torch.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    search check (if needed) (1d20)[12] yep, no modifier

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

"If nothing interesting's here we should probably check that rope next if anyone can climb it, or perhaps we can stack enough of the tables to see what's up there." Solstafir wiped away the remaining web clinging to his body best as he could, which only resulted in a tangle of it stuck to his hand. When even vigorous shaking didn't dislodge it he just shrugged and held his hand into the flame of Levyk's torch, watching the web smolder away. "There, better."

After stuffing the dead spider's body into his haversack in a by now familiar process he checked to cocoons, reasoning that the arachnid's previous victims might have possessed things of value or at least some more useful corpses for his necrocarnum abilities.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Clearing webs away, Levyk and the group largely find desiccated husks contained within the cocoons. Some so brittle they break apart into dust after their first exposure to air. Any equipment is so forlorn to be useless scrap.

However, he does find a small pouch, which while riddled with holes, was just intact enough to contain 300gp in random coinage and a small pearl illuminated of its own accord with a soft, gentle light. The light is much weaker than even a solitary candle, but clearly this gem contains some kind of magic within it.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid speaks up. "I guess that leave those other two paths, or returning home now. I'm worried that the rope would make it difficult for us to respond if a fight happens as soon as someone reaches the top or that the black door might keep us from back tracking to the portal."

24. - Top - End - #144

Chimera

Aertre considers this; she had a sense that the group had been lucky thus far and certainly didn't want to cut off what could be a way out. "I'm not sure how it's really supposed to work," she ventures. "A delve isn't supposed to end until we clear the dungeon, but does what we've done so far count?" She tries to remember the orientation classes.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

She's probably overthinking this, but this is the first time for everybody so some confusion is understandable. I'm good either doing the rope or taking our wins and bailing.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"Eh, if the going gets too hot we can just bail to the exit but so far we handled everything well enough. The next time's not going to be easier if you keep doing this, might as well get as much out of it as we can while we're here." Solstafir checked the hole in the ceiling the rope is leading into; perhaps he could make the climb with the knotted rope attached to his grappling hook.

Spoiler
    Show
    How high does it go and is there anything I could aim for? Knotted ropes are only DC 5 to climb so that would be easy enough.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Backtracking to the room with the lazily swinging rope the rivulets of the water still flowing down the rope, you peer up into the gap, estimating it would be about a 20ft climb. The only object that might be a target for the grappling hook is the iron ring attached to the ceiling onto which the other rope is tied. The ring isn't particularly small, but it may still be a challenge to connect the grappling hook (Use Rope DC 14).

If you connect the grappling hook, it would be DC 5 for all 20 feet.

Alternatively you could simply try to climb the rope as is (Climb DC 12 for the first 10 feet [Rope DC 5, slippery due to water +5, not knotted +2 circumstance], DC 7 for the second 10 feet [Rope DC 5, slippery due to water +5, not knotted +2 circumstance, perpendicular walls to brace against -5]).

Show
    It's weird that I don't see anything in the Climb skill about a free hanging rope without knots. So I'm just throwing a +2 circumstance on the DC for no knots.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-15 at 10:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not that good at climbing with my armor on, but this should help." Pulling a steel grappling hook with an attached knotted silk rope from his haversack Solstafir unslung his shield and put it on his back, taking careful aim at the ring at the top and then once the rope was secured pulling himself up.

Spoiler
    Show
    With 3 dex and +2 circumstance from silk rope I can make that DC with Take 10. If I can't Take 10 I'll just try a couple times until I hit it
    (1d20+5)[10] (1d20+5)[25] (1d20+5)[24] (1d20+5)[12] (1d20+5)[11] (1d20+5)[22]

My climb modifier with the armor on is -1, which should be enough with a DC of only 5. Again Take 10 or if not possible
    (1d20-1)[18] (1d20-1)[18] (1d20-1)[7] (1d20-1)[0] (1d20-1)[0] (1d20-1)[14]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't think I'm much better at climbing myself. At least if I fall if I can keep myself self with my wings." Orchid comments, stowing her scythe away into her bag before starting to try to climb the rope.

Show
    Just gonna take 10 on my climb checks after Solstafir gets the rope setup.
    Climb checks just in case: (1d20+1)[21] (1d20+1)[5] (1d20+1)[13] (1d20+1)[20] (1d20+1)[2]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It takes a couple of minutes, but you connect the grappling hook to the iron ring and begin your ascent up the rope.

Taking 10 on Climb stop being available once you reach a height that you would take fall damage (so once the DC goes down due to the walls). Assuming taking 10 as possible followed by rolling, Solstafir slowly makes his way up the rope, followed by Orchid. Both successfully ascending until they reach an alcove branching off of the vertical chute, providing one 5 foot square to stand on, both of you squeeze onto the space, albeit rather uncomfortably.

A window maybe 1 by 1 foot sits near the top of the pathway, wind and rain whipping in through the small gap through which you can see lightning dancing far in the distance among the roiling black storm clouds. Clearly the source of the water dripping down the chute.

Solstafir has an odd feeling that something is amiss with stonework in this alcove (Stonecunning). Taking 20 to search, you discover a loose stone. Shifting it aside you find a very small iron lock box (Open Lock DC 25) hidden behind the stone.

30. - Top - End - #150

Thanquil waits at the bottom of the rope while Solstafir and Orchid ascend. When he hears the sound of stone shifting he calls up "What's up there? Should we follow you up?"