New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

"It's just a dead end with a small window to the endless sky. Found some treasure though. Orchid, bring the grappling hood if you don't mind." Grabbing the lock box Solstafir went down the rope again, offering the container to their lock experts. "Seems just that ominous black door is left to explore before we're finished here. We should at least open it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Orchid can ignore falling damage so she can safely make it down after retrieving my grappling hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Perhaps the hieroglyphs are suggesting some sort of magical trap through the door? Regardless I agree with Solstafir we should at least check it out." Thanquil says while thinking to himself It's what Davos would do, I can't let him down.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid nods in response to Solstafir. After he fully descends, she unhooks the grappling hook and gently glides using her wings, coiling up the rope as she descends. On landing, she returns the grappling hook and coiled rope to Solstafir. "I just hope there's nothing bad behind that door."
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I'm sure there is. So we're gonna kill it." There was no doubt in the dwarf's voice. He didn't voluntarily descend into the Dungeon to avoid the stronger monsters and bail out of a Delve soon as the opportunity offered itself. Whatever horror awaited them behind that door, he was determined to see it bleed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again harpoon at the ready, I'll take point at the door once it is checked for traps.

This is probably a good opportunity to use any remaining buffs since we're likely near the end.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Geraldo whips out his tools and starts working on the box. He starts to give his thoughts on the unknown passageway.

Spoiler: Attempt to open the box
    Show

Search:(1d20+8)[13]
    Open Lock:(1d20+8)[23]
    Disable Device:(1d20+10)[16]

"I don't know about that black door. I suspect what lies behind it is beyond our ability to challenge right now. Well, at least my ability. I think the representations of us dying horribly are a big enough hint. "

6. - Top - End - #156

"I can cast a spell to Protect from Evil on the first person through the door. I found an arcane scroll for it back in the other room as well if anyone in the party can use that?" Thanquil says readying himself for whatever may come next.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid takes a deep breath and starts to get to work on Solstafir weapons and then Levyk's; working a temporary enchantment on both. "Ready."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spending my last two infusions to cast Magic Weapon on their weapons, giving a +1 enhancement bonus for a minute. I'm spend on Infusions now. I'm gonna need to remember to actually buy materials for some of these other infusions. I somehow neglected it the first time through.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright then, let's finish this." Having readied shield and harpoon again during their preparations, Solstafir threw open the final door eager with anticipation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Infusion is on my axe. We should get some bludgeoning backup weapons by the way, all our primary melee weapons are slashing. Skeletons and the like would be troublesome.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yoho, I would appreciate your blessing against evil!

Brother, I follow your lead

Levyk waits for the Protection against evil to be cast on him, to rush into the death-door, axe drawn, after his brother (brother because of dwarf)

10. - Top - End - #160

Chimera

Aertre gives a faint shrug at Thanquil's question — she understood abjuration spells in theory but couldn't seem to make them work with any regularity. Her instructors guessed this was likely due to the influence of her aunt, who made her distaste for protection magic known to anyone within shouting range.

Show

If we really need her to try for that Arcane PoE spell there's a chance (though not a great one). Expel her current vestige, bind Naberius, pick up UMD with that vestige's class skills and make a DC 21 check with a +4 on the roll. Eventually she'll gain some more flexibility but right now it's a low-odds move.

Last edited by infomatic; 2019-12-16 at 05:34 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The black door swings wide, inky blackness spilling out to consume everything around you. You briefly feel the sensation of floating, then falling. You land on something firm. You hear a strange voice, echoing from everywhere and nowhere. It resonates with a deep pitch and behind it a cracking like fire, with just a hint of the forlorn screams of the souls of the damned.

The resonating voice speaks in a strange and harsh language for a few sentences.

Spoiler: Geraldo and Orchid
    Show

You recognize the language as Infernal. It says:

"You haven't yet sated your lust for violence? Intriguing. You may yet prove useful to my ends. I will provide you all the foes you could wish for. Show me your mettle. Kill them all and I will grant you something... special."

The blackness fades away and you find yourselves near the wall of a large circular stone chamber with six pillars stretching several stories skyward to the beautifully crafted vaulted ceiling. Bronze sconces line the walls and pillars ablaze with flame illuminating the chamber. The wall seems uneven in the lightning, like it's not a perfect circle, however, your attention is quickly captured by something else.

Standing in the center of the chamber is a ten foot tall, two headed monster with brown leathery skin, disproportionately long arms bursting with muscle, a round belly and strangely stubby stout legs. Its two heads sport jagged yellow teeth with tusks jutting from its faces and long thin stringy patches of wisps of hair. The creature's four eyes shine bright red, filled with the power of the Dungeon. It wears armor crafted from iron bands interwoven over each other and holds two enormous clubs in its mighty hands. You see it has a holy symbol around each of its two necks.

"Gadkeg ig." one of the heads moans. The other screams "Kra theg!" none of you recognize the language.
    Spoiler: Intelligence check DC 15
    Show
    One head moans "Save me."
    The other head screams "Kill them!"

Next to the giant, a large bear turns its face towards the party, bearing its fangs and growling viciously. The beast's eyes glow red with the power of the Dungeon as well.

Scattering from the center a gang of small goblinoids rush out towards other places in the room. At least a half dozen, maybe more.

You brace yourselves for the coming onslaught.

Initiative:
    Bad Guys: (1d20+3)[6]

Solstafir (1d20+3)[20]
    Geraldo (1d20+2)[3]
    Orchid (1d20+2)[8]
    Thanquil (1d20+3)[21]
    Aertre (1d20+3)[18]
    Levyk (1d20+0)[6]

Solstafir, Orchid, Thanquil and Aertre have initiative.
    Then Bad Guys (they win the tie with the Levyk as they have the higher initiative modifier).
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-16 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid holds her head with one hand as te voices of the damned pound her head- her headache clears as she hears the voice clearly speaking Infernal.

On adjusting to her new surroundings, he quickly dives into her pack and produces a scroll. She looks at the two headed being clearly conflicted for a second- before turning her attentions to the nearby large bear. She opens the scroll and begins reciting the spell. "Power word- Pain."

Show

Move Action: Take out one of her scrolls of Power word Pain.
    Standard: UMD to activate the scroll, targeting the bear. (1d20+12)[19]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

"Take the harpoon, we have to slow at least one of the big ones down!" Solstafir dropped his weapon, immediately reaching for another of the barbed spears. This fight seemed much different from what they had gone through so far. It would be a worthwhile effort for his purpose. If the survive that is.

Targetting the two-headed giant his right arm drew back, then shot forward explosively, harpoon and trailing rope leaving his hand to fly at their enormous foe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drop harpoon for someone else to pick up, draw another
    attack - (1d20+4)[13] distance penalty may apply
    [roll=piercing damage]1d10+3[/roll
    if hit, Reflex DC10+damage dealt or harpoon is stuck in target. Half movement, not running or charging. it can be removed as a full round action requiring two free hands. DC15 heal check or same damage dealt again.]

14. - Top - End - #164

Thanquil gulps when he sees what awaits them in the next room but his training kicks in and he leaps into action, pulling a scroll from his bag and using it to cast the spell Bless.

Bless - Each ally gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

15. - Top - End - #165

Chimera

"Two-heads is of two minds; only one of them seems hostile," Aertre calls as she gathers herself and sizes up the battlefield. Raising an outstretched palm in the air, she brings it down suddenly, as if tearing a drapery from a window.

Show

If she can get 3+ targets in a 5-foot radius spread, cast Hail of Stone

(1d20+6)[23] vs. all targets for (1d4+3)[7] damage, no save.

If she can't get 3+ targets, cast Lesser Orb/Sound vs. Bear and adjacent opponent via Ricochet. Use same attack roll (so total 20 touch attack) for (1d8+3)[7]

Last edited by infomatic; 2019-12-17 at 11:44 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanquil empowers the group using his scroll.

Orchid utters a word of power against the bear.

Aertre's lesser orb of sound fires from her fingertips, bouncing between the giant and the bear.

Solstafir hurls his harpoon, but it finds no purchase against the giant.

The goblins rush away from the giant. Five of them start to climb the pillars, it seems there are grips made for their small gnarly hands and feet, one on each pillar. The others scatter to the wall and duck into the shadows.

The bear releases an enormous roar and comes barreling towards the group, eager to exact revenge against Aertre for damaging it, swiping down with an enormous claw.

Spoiler: Bear's Attack and Pain damage
    Show
    Pain duration (2d4)[8] rounds
    Pain damage (1d6)[2]

The bear charges (1d20+13)[33]
    On a critical threat (33) (1d20+13)[19] to confirm.

Dealing (1d8+5)[7] damage.
    On a critical hit add (1d8+5)[8] damage.

The giant marches towards the group, one of the heads chants a magical incantation as it does, impressively gesturing with the fingers of one hand without releasing its club. Solstafir feels magical energy attempting to pierce his mind. The other head growls and the other club comes in a vicious swipe at Orchid.

Solstafir Will Save (1d20)[19] (modified by Bless). Solstafir resists the strange magic successfully.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    You recognize the spell as Cause Fear.

Spoiler: Giant's attack
    Show
    Attack against Orchid (1d20+12)[21]
    On a critical threat (32) (1d20+12)[13] to confirm.

Dealing (1d10+6)[12] damage.
    On a critical hit, add (1d10+6)[11] damage.

Spoiler: Damage and conditions of enemies
    Show
    The giant has taken 7 damage.
    The bear has taken 9 damage.

Aertre takes a critical hit from the Bear and is in critical condition. (Taking 15 damage)
    Orchid takes a brutal blow from the giant and is badly wounded. (Taking 12 damage)

All players may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-18 at 07:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

NinjaGuy

"Retreat into cover! Don't let them gang up on you!"

Geraldo grumbles about everyone ignoring him when he suggested this was a deathtrap. He suspects that the bear and the two-headed giant would slaughter him if he were to engage them in melee, so he picks up Solstafir's harpoon and dashes behind a nearby pillar.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Both heads seem hostile enough to me, unless you can convince the peaceful one to lay down without a fight!" Solstafir retorted to Aertre mere moments before she was mauled down by the bear, cutting off any answer she might have given. Things were going badly, even with him easily brushing off the ettin's spell. He followed behind Geraldo, readying the next harpoon to this time take aim at the bear before it could get a swipe at another of them.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to get some distance, draw harpoon as part of move
    attack - (1d20+5)[13]
    piercing damage - (1d10+3)[12]

If hit, Reflex DC10+damage dealt or harpoon is stuck in target. Half movement, no running or charging. it can be removed as a full round action requiring two free hands. DC15 heal check or same damage dealt again.

19. - Top - End - #169

Thanquil heads in the opposite direction to Geraldo and Solstafir and then takes a shot at the two headed giant.

Spoiler
    Show

Move away but remain within 30 ft. for Point Blank Shot.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[24] damage (1d6+2)[5]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

What the... A short moment later, Levyk attacks the bear. This door should have stayed closed!

Spoiler: ROLLS
    Show
    Moving if necessary, then attacking the bear.
    Attack (1d20+4)[16] damage (1d10+3)[5]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the blow coming, Orchid tries to protect herself by bringing her wings forward in an effort to absorb some of the blow. A scream is let out along with a few audible cracks as the giant weapon strikes her. Fighting back tears, Orchid moves away from her attacker, retreating to the back lines, trying to make her way to one of the pillars to hide behind.

Show

Full Action: Withdraw and move away from the giant; preferably behind a pillar if there's enough distance.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Geraldo manages to hide behind the pillar out of sight of the two tremendous threats.
    Solstafir lobs his harpoon as he moves into cover with Geraldo, the harpoon sinks into the bear's flank, eliciting another angry roar from the beast.

Orchid retreats behind another pillar as Thanquil moves in the same direction, firing an arrow against the giant. The arrow strikes true, but the giant seems unfazed.

Levyk slashes the bear with his mighty axe.

The goblins on the pillars continue their ascent. It's taking them awhile to climb even with the handholds. The other goblins seem to be missing, as if they have vanished into the walls.

The giant and bear, left only with Levyk in their midst, both turn their attention on the likely doomed dwarf.

The bear swipes a claw at Levyk.

Spoiler: Bear actions
    Show
    Remaining rounds of Pain: 7
    Damage taken from pain (1d6)[3]

Claw (1d20+11)[20]
    On a 31 (1d20+11)[23] to confirm

Deals (1d8+5)[9] damage
    On a critical hit, deals (1d8+5)[7] additional damage.

If the dwarf is still standing, the giant swings a club at him. If he is still standing after the first club, it swings the second club. If Levyk falls, one of the giant's heads scoffs something unintelligible while the other moans something equally unintelligible.

Spoiler: Int DC 15
    Show
    One head scoffs "Puny foes." while the other moans "No, no, why again?"

Spoiler: Giant's actions
    Show
    The giant swings its clubs
    First attack (1d20+12)[17] to hit
    on a 32 (1d20+12)[22] to confirm

Deals (1d10+6)[12] damage
    On a critical, deals (1d10+6)[12] additional.

If conditions are met for a second attack
    (1d20+7)[26] to hit
    On a 27 (1d20+7)[9] to confirm

Deals (1d10+6)[9] damage
    On a critical, deals (1d10+6)[7] additional

Spoiler: Damage and conditions
    Show
    The giant has taken 12 damage
    The bear has taken 29 damage and is Harpooned (Half Movement speed, no running or charging).

Levyk takes 21 damage and is in critical condition.

Spoiler: Aertre and Levyk
    Show
    Even in your unconscious state, you hear the infernal voice echo through your very being. It says something in infernal which you don't understand. You have both stabilized.

All standing characters may act (Geraldo, Thanquil, Orchid, Solstafir)
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-19 at 07:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Reflex save DC 22 for the Bear against Harpoon (1d20+6)[19].

24. - Top - End - #174

NinjaGuy

After making it behind the pillar, Geraldo takes a moment to take in the surroundings and see if he can make more sense of the situation. He first attempts to figure out what the giants are saying.

Spoiler: Intelligence Check
    Show
    [roll0]

Glancing at the goblins climbing the pillars, he also notices there are fewer goblins than initially despite being in a well lit circular room. He peeks out from behind the pillar to see what the bear and giant are doing and sees that another teammate has been taken down. Swearing under his breath, he hurls his harpoon at the giant because it appears the bear has already been impaled with a harpoon. He then flees towards the wall while trying to keep the pillar between him and the giant. The goblins vanished somewhere, so maybe there is a trick to the wall.

Spoiler: Harpoon Throw
    Show
    [roll1]includes inspiration point, bless, and exotic weapon prof penalty
    Damage: [roll2] includes inspiration point

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"Come on, we have to hamper the giant as well!" Solstafir rounded the pillar, trying to get the ettin between himself and the already inhibited bear. Levyk was down after a vicious assault from the pair, perhaps even dead. Either way, there was no point in rushing in to save the other dwarf; even Solstafir wouldn't be able to withstand their assault for long, if they wanted to survive trading blow for blow was not an option. "Aim for the legs or the soft tissue of the stomach. Anywhere movement puts a strain on for the barbs to do their work." He had barely finished speaking when he hurled his harpoon, bringing him down to his last two. Hopefully it would prove enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move, draw harpoon as part of move
    Intended distance: 30 from the ettin to avoid range penalty, and as far from the bear as possible
    attack - (1d20+5)[19]
    piercing damage - (1d10+3)[9]

26. - Top - End - #176

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Intelligence Check
    Show
    (1d20+4)[13]

Spoiler: Harpoon Throw
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7]includes inspiration point, bless, and exotic weapon prof penalty
    Damage: (1d10+8)[18] includes inspiration point

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

From the safety of the pillar Orchid breathes heavily while listening to the giant speak, watching and taking note of which heads are saying what. As she does so, she drops her scythe and goes into her pack, bringing out a scroll and a shield.

"Hey!" she calls out. "Giant! I know one of you doesn't want to fight! If you really don't want to then stop! You have to resist and act against the other! I don't know if you can, but it will make it easier for us if you can take care of the other!"

Show

Free Action: Drop scythe
    Move action: Take out scroll of power word pain
    Standard: Take out heavy steel shield

28. - Top - End - #178

Hearing Orchid try to communicate with the giant, Thanquil shifts his aim to the bear, firing a pair of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid shot full attack
    Attack: (1d20+4)[18], damage (1d6+2)[5]
    Attack: (1d20+4)[8], damage (1d6+2)[3]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir and Geraldo hurl their harpoons at the giant. Geraldo's falls short while the creature bats Solstafir's away with one of its clubs.

Geraldo moves over to the wall and upon close proximity he can see that there are cleverly disguised passages in the wall at various points. Big enough for a goblin to easily enter, small enough for a medium creature to Squeeze into the passage. While you suspect there are goblins within, it should provide excellent protection from the giant and the bear, who would have no hope of entering the tight corridors.

Thanquil lands an arrow into the bears flank, which unleashes a pained roar in response.

Orchid attempts to begin diplomacy with the two headed monster.

The goblins have nearly completed their ascent of the pillars.

The bear limps towards Thanquil, eager to devour the bow wielding scholar, but it requires the bear great effort to even reach melee with its target, leaving it unable to attack its intended victim.

Spoiler: Bear's action
    Show
    Remaining Pain duration: 6
    Pain damage (1d6)[2]

Double move into melee with Thanquil.

The violent head of the giant turns its attention to Solstafir, and marches into melee with the exposed dwarf. It takes a swipe with one of its massive clubs, if Solstafir is left standing, it swipes with the other club.

The conflicted head begins to let out sobbing cries and exclaims something in its strange near-indecipherable babble.

Spoiler: Int check DC 15
    Show
    "Can't stop! Run away!"

Spoiler: Giant's attacks
    Show
    Move into melee with Solstafir - the clubs aren't reach weapons so the Mantle of Flames will affect the giant.

(1d20+12)[14] to hit with the first club
    On a 32 (1d20+12)[14] to confirm

Deals (1d10+6)[7] damage
    On a critical deals (1d10+6)[7] additional damage.

If it hits, the giant takes (1d6)[6] reciprocal fire damage.

If Solstafir is standing after the first club swing, it attacks again.
    (1d20+7)[18] to hit with the second club
    On a 27 (1d20+7)[17] to confirm

Deals (1d10+6)[8] damage
    On a critical deals (1d10+6)[9] additional damage.

If it hits, the giant takes (1d6)[2] reciprocal fire damage.

The giant's strikes fail to inflict any bodily harm to the dwarf.

Spoiler: Conditions and Effects
    Show
    The Bear has taken 36 damage and is Harpooned.
    The Giant has taken 12 damage.

Standing characters may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-20 at 05:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Thanquil backs away from the bear not wanting to risk taking a hit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Withdraw 60ft.