New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character

The giant's first swing hit the ground hard as Solstafir dodged to the side, the second one he blocked with his clockroach shield. Only the protection of his Soulmeld allowed him to absorb the raw force of the impact without suffering injury. Seeing little hope in a melee while the giant was still barely injured he disengaged, rounding one of the pillars to get some distance between himself and the two-headed monster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Withdraw 40 feet, try to break LoS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Thinking twice about engaging the giant again, Orchid shuffles the scroll under her arm holding the shield and then goes into her pack to bring out one of her scrolls of lesser vigor. She opens it up and begins chanting, hoping that she can fix herself. "Lesser Vigor."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'm just assuming shuffing the power word pain scroll she has under her shield arm is an easily available action.
    Move: Take out a lesser vigor scroll
    This time I'm positive I have to roll for this, I swear.
    Standard: Active the scroll(targeting herself) UMD: (1d20+12)[32]
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2019-12-21 at 04:13 PM.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Forgot my int Check
    Show
    Forgot to roll int
    (1d20+3)[6]

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"There are holes in the wall, watch out for goblins coming out! Actually, we can probably squeeze into the holes to hide from the bear and giant!"

Geraldo actually decides to squeeze in. He figures that he might be able to take out a goblin and get some kind of ranged option. Trying to fight the bear and giant in melee seems to be a lost cause.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The goblins finish their ascent of the pillars and enter into small chambers near the top. From there, they each lob a vial of acid down at characters still moving around in the circular chamber below. Due to their advantageous positions high on the pillars, they suffer no penalty for the range of the attack.

Spoiler: Goblins Acid attacks
    Show
    They target players they can see at random. 1 - Orchid, 2 - Solstafir, 3 - Thanquil - they can no longer see Geraldo.

Goblin 1: Target (1d3)[1] throws an acid vial (1d20+3)[18] to touch AC hit, on a hit it deals (1d6)[5] acid damage and being hit to requires a Fortitude Save DC 13 against 1 point of Constitution damage.

Goblin 2: Target (1d3)[3] throws an acid vial (1d20+3)[9] to touch AC hit, on a hit it deals (1d6)[6] acid damage and being hit requires a Fortitude Save DC 13 against 1 point of Constitution damage.

Goblin 3: Target (1d3)[2] throws an acid vial (1d20+3)[16] to touch AC hit, on a hit it deals (1d6)[5] acid damage and being hit requires a Fortitude Save DC 13 against 1 point of Constitution damage.

Goblin 4: Target (1d3)[1] throws an acid vial (1d20+3)[8] to touch AC hit, on a hit it deals (1d6)[6] acid damage and being hit requires a Fortitude Save DC 13 against 1 point of Constitution damage.

Goblin 5: Target (1d3)[3] throws an acid vial (1d20+3)[12] to touch AC hit, on a hit it deals (1d6)[4] acid damage and being hit requires a Fortitude Save DC 13 against 1 point of Constitution damage.

Goblin 6: Target (1d3)[2] throws an acid vial (1d20+3)[19] to touch AC hit, on a hit it deals (1d6)[4] acid damage and being hit requires a Fortitude Save DC 13 against 1 point of Constitution damage.

If they miss their touch attack, their aim is too far off to even deal splash damage.

Entering the tunnels, Geraldo squeezes into the area, finding it quickly hits a T intersection with a curvature suggesting this passage forms a ring around the main chamber. From Geraldo's left, he sees a Goblin hustling towards him (ending a double move). It stops 15ft away from Geraldo. This goblin has numerous flasks of reddish liquid tied around its torso. Other goblins might be setting up to emerge from the tunnels at different points, as well.

The bear limps miserably after Thanquil. It manages to reach its intended victim again, but that's all it can manage in its weakened state. The bear roars a very sharp roar, like its trying to communicate something other than its standard rage and pain.

Spoiler: Bear actions and pain damage
    Show
    Remaining rounds of pain: 5
    pain damage (1d6)[3]

Double move into melee with Thanquil. Free action to "speak".

The giant hears the bear's roar and turns towards Thanquil. The creature runs with surprising agility for its stumpy legs and comes down hard at Thanquil with a single club. One of the creature's heads sobs miserably.

Spoiler: Giant's actions and attack
    Show
    The giant charges Thanquil.
    (1d20+14)[31] to hit
    On a 34 (1d20+14)[19] to confirm

Dealing (1d10+6)[10] damage.
    On a critical hit it deals (1d10+6)[13] additional damage.

Spoiler: Status and Conditions
    Show
    The Bear has taken 41 damage and is Harpooned.
    The Giant has taken 12 damage.

Thanquil crumples under the club and is in critical condition.
    Acid rains down on Orchid, with her other wounds, it's too much. Orchid is in critical condition.
    Acid rains down on Solstafir, dealing 9 damage.

The acid thrown at Thanquil misses him entirely and splashes on the bear, dealing it two 2 extra damage.

Geraldo and Solstafir may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-21 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

6. - Top - End - #186

NinjaGuy

Geraldo moves up to the goblin and attempts to hack at it in the tiny space. Assuming he can draw his sword while moving, he uses Wolf Fang Strike, otherwise, he just attempts to ram it with an armor spike.

Spoiler: Attack the Gobbo
    Show
    Wolf Fang Strike:
    Great Falchion: (1d20)[15] includes bless, wolf fang strike penalty, and squeezing penalty
    Damage: (1d12+6)[15]
    Armor Spike: (1d20)[7]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[9]

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"Tch." Seeing no more hope of winning the fight inside the large arena Solstafir ducked into one of the side tunnels, the acid eating away at his skin leaving him badly burned.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move into the nearest tunnel entrance.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Geraldo brings a swift end to the goblin.

Solstafir, entering one of the tunnels, sees a goblin approaching from his right. It has a dagger in a leather strap serving as a belt and under its right arm it carries a cask, like a very small barrel, with a rope extending about a foot from the wooden container. In its other hand, it holds flint and tinder. It stops 15ft away from the Dwarf, awkwardly unsure what to do with the objects in its arms.

The more violent of the giant's heads barks something unintelligible and swings its club against the pillar of one of the goblins who hit the bear with acid, the force of the impact causes the pillar to shake. The goblin attempts to balance (1d20+1)[11], but the shaking is too much, it careens over the side and plummets. It dies with a dull thud as it collides with the ground.

Spoiler: Int DC 15
    Show
    "No hit bear! Go kill!"

The bear limps towards the center of the room, looking for other prey.

Spoiler: Bear
    Show
    Remaining duration on Pain: 4 rounds
    (1d6)[1] damage

The other goblins seeing no foes moving around below, begin to descend their pillars.

Orchid stabilizes due to gaining HP from Lesser Vigor.

Spoiler: Thanquil
    Show
    You hear the infernal voice reverberate through your being saying something you can't decipher. You've stabilized.

Show
    The Bear has taken 42 and is Harpooned.
    The giant has taken 12 damage.

Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-22 at 06:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir forced his way through the narrow corridor, reaching for his axe for the first time since the fight began. He gripped the shaft way up to shorten the weapon's reach in the cramped quarters and swung down hard at the goblin. "Geraldo, you hear me?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Crusader's Strike
    attackk - (1d20+3)[21] includes Bless, racial bonus against goblins and squeezing penalty
    slashing damage - (1d10+4)[8]
    if hit heal - (1d6+3)[4]
    edit: well, good on the attack but minimal healing. Eh, I'll take it.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2019-12-22 at 07:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: If Geraldo hears Solstafir
    Show
    "I hear you, one goblin down on my end! I am going to head over to you!"

Geraldo quickly loots the goblin of the vials and quickly sees if the corpse has any other ranged armaments. If he hears Solstafir's shout, he will head over towards Solstafir while staying in the tunnels. If he doesn't hear Solstafir's shout, he will keep progressing down this tunnel after shoving the corpse behind him or pushing it forward as a makeshift shield if he can't fit it behind him.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir cuts down the goblin.

Geraldo finds a small sized sling and a small bag of smooth stones on the goblin after taking the makeshift bandoleer of flasks.

You can hear each other. Geraldo shoves the goblin corpse out of his way and begins heading toward Solstafir.

Going a short way Geraldo sees a light coming from the outer side of the ring. Likely a room connected to this small hallway. Light is spilling in from the room and you hear a creature snort and croak some words from around the corner in a language you don't understand.

The bear roars in agony.
    Show
    Remaining rounds of pain: 4
    (1d6)[6] damage

The giant smacks another pillar and you hear the sickening thud of another goblin. By his tone, you guess the giant isn't too happy with the goblins. Four goblins continue to descend from the pillars.

Orchid recovers 1 HP from Lesser Vigor.
    Spoiler: Orchid's status
    Show
    She has taken 17 or 18 damage total I think, 12 from the giant, 5 from the acid, and (1d20+3)[4] fortitude against the 13 to avoid the 1 Con damage which would reduce her HP by changing her modifier. Rule here.
    She has gained 3 HP back from Lesser vigor with 8 more to go.
    I listed the HP gain and stabilization a round later than I think I was supposed to, so I'm catching it up.

The failed save puts her at -1 HP at this round, she'll regain consciousness after this round at 0 hp.

Show
    The bear has taken 47 damage and is Harpooned.

Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-22 at 10:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

"Same here. Just the two of us left looks like." The lingering pain from the acid burns quickly faded as Solstafir's skin knit together raipdly, the wounds shrinking in on themselves like a layer of water in a frying pan. Half of the burns still remained, but he was in fighting shape. He scooped up the goblin's seeming explosive device to put it into his haversack then made in the direction of Geraldo's voice.

13. - Top - End - #193

NinjaGuy

Geraldo stops moving and takes a moment to actively listen to try to find out approximately how far away the creature in the room. During this time he readies his sword in order to make a more efficient surprise attack.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move action: Listen - (1d20-1)[9]
    Swift Action: Recover Maneuvers
    Standard Action: Recover Maneuvers

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Listening, Geraldo can tell that there is at least one enemy, but doesn't hear more. There is also a faint bubbling sound like liquids simmering and a shuffle as the creature moves. You guess its probably fairly small by the light plodding of its feet. The enemy is a few feet around the corner. Easily reachable with a move action.

Solstafir moving through the tunnel towards Geraldo's voice comes upon the other side of the room, light spilling in. Whatever creature is around the corner from the two of you croaks a few more words in a harsh and coarse language.

The giant begins stamping its feet and yelling at the goblins who are still descending from their pillars.

The bear begins to whine loudly.
    Show
    Pain duration: 3 rounds
    Pain damage (1d6)[5]

The bears whining ceases as it lets out a gurgle, unable to continue on, it dies from its wounds.

Show
    The Bear is dead.

Orchid recovers 1 HP and is now at 0 HP, regaining consciousness.

Solstafir, Geraldo, and Orchid may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-23 at 05:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Solstafir moved into the room, happy to see the narrow corridor giving way to a less cramped space for now. Axe still at the ready he moved in on whatever stood between him and Geraldo.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchids comes to life, stirring from unconsciousness, opening her eyes and then closing them back up as she hears the sounds of movement. Still feeling weak she elects to remain still as best she can while she waits for the healing magic to restore her just enough to make movement less painful.

Show

Orchid plays dead.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2019-12-23 at 09:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

NinjaGuy

Tightly gripping his falchion, Geraldo moves into the room to take out the unseen enemy. He moves next to where he suspects the dungeon spawn would be and will make attacks once he sees it clearly and can tell the situation in the room.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Geraldo and Solstafir spill into the room, taking the overly focused goblin alchemist completely by surprise. This goblin is draped in ratty robes and is stirring a large cauldron of strange colored liquid using a wooden staff when it first sees you. It sputters out some word in what you now presume is the goblin language and briefly goes slack jawed in surprise as you move around the cauldron and a table covered in reagents into melee with the filthy creature. You find the room large enough that you have no need to Squeeze.

You have the surprise round, Geraldo and Solstafir may take a standard action against the goblin alchemist prior to round wrap up.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"So you're the bastard that brewed those acid flasks, huh?" Solstafir quickly took position opposite Geraldo, lashing out with his axe to take the alchemist's attention and give his companion an opening.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we have two turns of Bless left after this. My maneuvers granted will reset next turn.

5 foot step into flanking if possible
    Vanguard Strike
    attack - (1d20+9)[21] includes Bless, racial bonus and flanking
    slashing damage - (1d10+4)[5]
    Heal 2 if hit and Geraldo receives +4 on gis attack rolls
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2019-12-24 at 10:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir deals the goblin a brutal blow. It clutches its fresh wound as Geraldo attempts to finish the job.

Geraldo initiates Wolf Fang Strike
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Attack with Falchion (1d20+10)[12] to hit, includes +1 Bless, +2 Flanking, +4 Vanguard Strike, -2 for Wolf Fang Strike
    If it is a critical threat (28+) (1d20+10)[27] to confirm

Dealing (1d12+6)[14] damage
    On a critical hit, deals (1d12+6)[9] additional damage.

If it doesn't fell the goblin, Geraldo attempts to impale it with his armor spikes
    (1d20+10)[25] to hit
    On a crit threat (30) (1d20+10)[18] to confirm

Dealing (1d6+4)[8] damage
    On a critical hit, deals (1d6+4)[5] additional damage.

Even though Geraldo's blade slides awkwardly off of seemingly nothing causing a brief shimmer in the air, his armor spikes find the goblin's vitals. The goblin collapses as its guts spill out of its wounds. Its staff rolls out of its gnarled grip onto the floor.

With the threat out of the way, you see this room is a small chamber lit primarily by a fire underneath the cauldron and a few torches held by bronze sconces on the walls. Beyond the cauldron of foul bubbling liquid and the table of empty flasks and reagents stands a shelf with several flasks and vials full of assorted concoctions. Four more sit with the iconic green bubbling acid. Two with the strange reddish liquid akin to that on the bandoleer taken by Geraldo. Six potion vials also rest on the shelf, each full of mystery liquid. Two more small casks with a short length of rope rest at the bottom.

Next to this shelf at the back of the room stands a small stone altar with strange runes carved into its top. Six stone tubes stretch down from the ceiling along the back wall onto the array glyphs. Each has an opening just large enough to place a flask or vial into the tube.

Beside the stone altar is a stand upon which rests an open book full of crudely drawn letters, likely the Goblin tongue, as well as a small ink vial and a pen that appears to be made from carved bone.

Orchid heals for 1 HP.

The giant stomps loudly enough that Orchid estimates its position as now in the middle of the chamber. Upon discovering that the bear is now dead, the giant unleashes an ear splitting scream from both heads. The scream has no distinct sounds, but is full of anger, sorrow, and regret.

The remaining four goblins in the central chamber continue their descent down the pillars.

Show

Orchid, Solstafir, and Geraldo may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-26 at 06:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

NinjaGuy

"We should check to see if there are any more of these labs. I think flasks are being shipped to the top of the pillars using that apparatus at the back. Do you think we should split and try to meet back up in the middle, or stick together?"

Geraldo swipes half the flasks of each color and throws the potions and book into his haversack quickly. He also takes a moment to re-ready his maneuvers.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

"Interesting... Maybe we can rig one of these flasks to explode in their face when they arrive on the pillars? It will be hard to deal with them up there." Solstafir returned his axe to the loop on his belt and grabbed whatever he could to pile it into his haversack lest another goblin came to pick it up and use it against them. "Let's clear these tunnels, doesn't seem the giant and bear can reach us there. Best stick together, if you get wounded I can heal you."

He rummaged through the small lab, hopeful for something beyond vials of various harmful or benevolent liquids. "I'd gve an inch of beard for a tanglefoot bag right now. Would have made things much easier back there."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2019-12-26 at 09:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Feeling better, Orchid stands up, using the nearby pillar as support. She then cautiously looks around from her position for some place to hide.
    Show

Move: Stand up from prone.
    Standard: Look around. I don't know if this would be a spot or search, so I will just roll both. Spot: (1d20+1)[2] Search: (1d20+4)[13]
    And here's the fort save I needed to make earlier: (1d20+3)[11]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir's search (1d20+1)[13]
    Solstafir strikes figurative gold. On the corpse of the goblin alchemist, stashed in his ratty robe is a single bag of just the sticky goo he was hoping to find.

Geraldo swipes a bunch of goodies out of the goblin alchemist's lab.

Orchid spots a somewhat cleverly disguised tunnel small enough for a goblin to easily go through, but large enough that the giant will have no hope of fitting, on the outer wall. It's likely at least one of the goblins will soon be going for that same passage. Orchid gains 1 hp.

The four goblins in the center chamber have finished their descent of the pillars. The giant screams out its first command again - to go and kill.

Geraldo, Orchid, and Solstafir may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-27 at 05:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

NinjaGuy

"Sounds good, but do you have any idea of how to rig one of these bottles to explode?"

Geraldo checks to see if the cask with a fuse will fit into the apparatus. Otherwise he starts crawling back down the tunnel in the direction that he came sword at the ready.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

"Dunno, not my usual kind of tinkering. Perhaps if we can give it extra speed so it smashes against the wall or ceiling when arriving..." Solstafir's rummaging was soon rewarded as he pulled a bag of alchemical substance from the goblin's still fresh corpse. "Aha! That should be helpful once we face the giant again." Having cleared out the lab he followed Geraldo into the narrow tunnels.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid quickly makes her way to one of the tunnels and starts moving through the cramped pathway hoping to get out of sight of that giant.

Show

Move action: Move toward the open she sees.
    Standard: Move inside of the tunnel. I don't know much rules regarding this sort of thing, so enlighten me if I can't get any real movement done yet.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Orchid quickly makes her move and squeezes into the tunnels (you can move at regular speed, but you take a -4 penalty to attack and AC). She hears voices of her comrades from further into the tunnel.

Geraldo and Solstafir squeeze back into the narrow tunnel.

You all hear the four goblins in the center chamber let out blood curdling screeches, like a goblin war cry. Orchid hears their feet pounding against the stone. It doesn't take long before she sees two goblins entering the tunnel just behind her. The one in front is carrying a heavy wooden shield and wearing patchwork leather armor and the one in back appears to have a spear long enough to reach over its buddy and is wearing a crudely crafted iron helmet with twisted metal horns.

The giant is quiet.

Show

Orchid, Geraldo, and Solstafir may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-28 at 02:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds like they're coming for us. Works for me. Let's go back into the alchemist's room and face them there. Solstafir handed Geraldo a spare harpoon, waiting for the charge of the goblins.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

"Geraldo? Solstafir?" Orchid calls out from the tunnel as continues moving through it. She then glances behind her on hearing the warcry, seeing the two goblins coming after her.

She then starts calling out to the two with urgency. "I uh, need some help- I-I have goblins after me! One of them has a spear and is behind one of his friends with a shield! I'm barely standing as it is!"

She then continues to make her way through the tunnel, hoping to get through as soon as possible.

Show

Move and Standard action: Squeeze through the tunnel.