New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Age Of Sigmar II: I Can't Believe It's Not Magic!

I have wondered for a while why the pricing on the Seraphon start collecting made any sense given that the big model was only $5 less than the box, if you want it, why not just pay the extra $5 for all the additional minis? Well, I bought it and am now starting to assemble those additional minis and think I've figured it out. They're ugly sculpts and I doubt they'd move well on their own from a hobbyist perspective, the box set is just to help get rid of stock that wouldn't move for beans to begin with.

Still don't get the Fyreslayer starter set, where the big model alone costs as much as the box....
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I have wondered for a while why the pricing on the Seraphon start collecting made any sense given that the big model was only $5 less than the box, if you want it, why not just pay the extra $5 for all the additional minis? Well, I bought it and am now starting to assemble those additional minis and think I've figured it out. They're ugly sculpts and I doubt they'd move well on their own from a hobbyist perspective, the box set is just to help get rid of stock that wouldn't move for beans to begin with.

Still don't get the Fyreslayer starter set, where the big model alone costs as much as the box....
    You're not wrong at all. I think the idea was that those models weren't selling anyways, so make them effectively "free" to tempt people into starting, and then they'll want to buy more. Or something like that.

But yes, those two boxes are bonkers value.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Check the actual value on retailers though, not just GW website. Many models that show up in SC boxes do so because they haven't moved at SRP in years, and are at -15% or -30% everywhere. Big / ugly / etc aside.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Everything is at -x% elsewhere, though? I can't speak for anywhere else but the standard third-party discount in the UK is -20%, -25% if the storefront is willing to run a little close to the wind, and applies to every product in the retailer range.

Personally I think it's more likely that their profit margins on some of these kits are so huge they can afford to give them away at a discount: the original design brief for the SC! box was "Two units and a big thing for £50" and they weren't all that concerned about how much they were losing on it.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

If you wanted to embrace skaven's penchant for blowing themselves up by overcharging dangerous technology, what would that army look like? Asking for a friend
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    If you wanted to embrace skaven's penchant for blowing themselves up by overcharging dangerous technology, what would that army look like? Asking for a friend
    Take as much Clan Skryre as you can, overcharge every weapon you can. Weapons teams, Doomwheels, Warlock spells, Engineer guns, all of it. Laugh manically as you do insane shooting but also lose models at the same rate.

I think Skryre can still run a one-drop list? It's pretty low model, though.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...-on-the-table/

35 wounds is a lot. That's Dread Saurian level, with some pretty strong attacks. Truly looking like the AoS version of 40k Knights.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Someone in a discord pointed out that in terms of points cost, they're similar to Gotrek, and it might be funny to see how reliably Gotrek can kill one.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...-on-the-table/

35 wounds is a lot. That's Dread Saurian level, with some pretty strong attacks. Truly looking like the AoS version of 40k Knights.
    They've even announced that they're selling Aleguzzler Gargants (Now "Mancrusher Gargants" in the new rulebook) in packs of 2, who the larger Gargants can command to make an extra shooting attack. So they're basically making them equivalent to Knight Armigers.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sons of Behemat is out now, all rules known.

They seem... fine? Strong, but fairly unreliable attacks that can be boosted with various sources of rerolls. 35 Wounds is a lot, but there's only minimal access to Ward Saves, so they'll die to focus fire over a period of time. Reasonable shooting attacks but nothing special so they aren't like 40k Knights just standing still and wiping tables. Counting as 10/15/20/30 models is pretty cool, but they still will usually only have 4-6 units on the board at a time (and if they go 5 or 6 units, those small Mancrusher units die fast). I imagine they'll be a solid mid-tier army - some factions will struggle to drop them quick enough, while really fighty factions will tear through them quickly.

They seem alright on the table overall. The price tag per model, though, is worthy of an eyebrow raise. I think overall it's not too wild compared to the pricepoint of other 2k armies (Daughters of Khaine come to mind, and Lumineth aren't exactly cheap once you add it all up), but it's a bit crazy for what you're getting. If I really liked the army, I don't think the price would keep me from getting into it, but as someone only casually interested, it's a hard pass.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

It's nice to know that if I ever want a ludicrous centrepiece I could break out one of them, but I wouldn't take one for any other reason. Though on the plus side, being "okay" rather than "great" means they're hopefully not going to completely rewrite the meta like Knights have done a few times now.

A friend of a friend recently sold the old Lizardmen Battalion box for £30 and i leapt eagerly on that, since that's about as much as I'd pay for any one of the units inside (eight saurus knights, ten saurus guard, twenty warriors, ten skinks.) Some of it is already assembed or painted but i think only one model (a technicolor saurus knight clearly used as the paint scheme tester) is unsalvageable, so combined with the Start Collecting boxes I had bought, now I have a whole-ass Seraphon army on sprue ready to be assembled. Only problem is that my policy of not buying more than i paint is now completely shot to hell.

Total so far:
    Slann
    Astrolith Bearer
    Carnosaur
    32 Saurus Warriors
    15 Saurus Knights
    10 Saurus Guard
    Starpriest
    24 Skinks
    3 Terradons
    Bastiladon

Should keep me going for a while!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Sons of Behemat is out now, all rules known.

They seem... fine? Strong, but fairly unreliable attacks that can be boosted with various sources of rerolls. 35 Wounds is a lot, but there's only minimal access to Ward Saves, so they'll die to focus fire over a period of time. Reasonable shooting attacks but nothing special so they aren't like 40k Knights just standing still and wiping tables. Counting as 10/15/20/30 models is pretty cool, but they still will usually only have 4-6 units on the board at a time (and if they go 5 or 6 units, those small Mancrusher units die fast). I imagine they'll be a solid mid-tier army - some factions will struggle to drop them quick enough, while really fighty factions will tear through them quickly.

They seem alright on the table overall. The price tag per model, though, is worthy of an eyebrow raise. I think overall it's not too wild compared to the pricepoint of other 2k armies (Daughters of Khaine come to mind, and Lumineth aren't exactly cheap once you add it all up), but it's a bit crazy for what you're getting. If I really liked the army, I don't think the price would keep me from getting into it, but as someone only casually interested, it's a hard pass.
    I haven't looked at the rules yet, but the word I've gotten from the competitive players in my area has been "peak casual fun."
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Is there something good I can make with daemons of khorne? I've got the following:

1 SC (daemons of khorne): 10 bloodletters, 3 bloodcrushers, 1 skull throne/herald.
    1 Daemon Prince with a sword and wings
    1 random bloodletter unit (another 10, for a total of 20)

plus 1 random chaos warrior unit (16 total, weapon + shield).

Looks like about 900 points worth in total, but likely most of it's pretty trash.

What would be a relatively cheap, relatively easy to assemble, but not total trash way to finish out a 2k point army?
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Is there something good I can make with daemons of khorne? I've got the following:

1 SC (daemons of khorne): 10 bloodletters, 3 bloodcrushers, 1 skull throne/herald.
    1 Daemon Prince with a sword and wings
    1 random bloodletter unit (another 10, for a total of 20)

plus 1 random chaos warrior unit (16 total, weapon + shield).

Looks like about 900 points worth in total, but likely most of it's pretty trash.

What would be a relatively cheap, relatively easy to assemble, but not total trash way to finish out a 2k point army?
    I haven't read much about Khorne Daemons since the GHB2020 updates, but prior to that, the two main builds were either:

1) Murderhost with lots and lots of Bloodletters, gaining extra mobility and having bodies for objectives
    2) Tyrants of Blood with 3 Bloodthirsters all kitted out for murder, sometimes using the FW Thirster or Skarbrand.

Murderhost seems good, but only if you like mass infantry. Tyrants got some nerfs with the loss of Realm Artifacts, but their points came down, so overall still good probably.

What type of list did you want to run?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I haven't read much about Khorne Daemons since the GHB2020 updates, but prior to that, the two main builds were either:

1) Murderhost with lots and lots of Bloodletters, gaining extra mobility and having bodies for objectives
    2) Tyrants of Blood with 3 Bloodthirsters all kitted out for murder, sometimes using the FW Thirster or Skarbrand.

Murderhost seems good, but only if you like mass infantry. Tyrants got some nerfs with the loss of Realm Artifacts, but their points came down, so overall still good probably.

What type of list did you want to run?
    I know very little about styles, never having actually played a real game. I initially picked up the models for the hobby part, but would like to have something playable.

I'm a bit more attuned to elite armies compared to hordes, just for ease of transport and moving things around on the table. I think.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

16. - Top - End - #286
    Banned

So, new Warcry boxes and a new starter set... at $210.00. DoA, at least here.

Unlike KT, Warcry needs specialized stuff to be playable, so them putting such a high price tag on it kills the game before it can even start.

Quote Originally Posted by Games Workshop
    Warcry Catacombs

A brand-new starter set for Warcry that allows players to take their battles underground. Contains a huge amount of new content:
    • 9 x Khainite Shadowstalker Miniatures;
    • 8 x Scions of the Flame miniatures;
    • 37 x Terrain pieces, including 23 new Dungeon focused pieces
    • 5 different campaigns for the warbands in the box, along with 4 Fated Quest which can be played by any Warband in Warcry

Also includes 2 x Rulebooks, 1 x double-sided gaming board, 79 x tokens, 18 x dice, 18 x fighter cards and 2 x ability cards

17. - Top - End - #287
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post

Unlike KT, Warcry needs specialized stuff to be playable, so them putting such a high price tag on it kills the game before it can even start.
    Very steep price that. I’m really surprised they’re including several frames of buildings as well as the catacomb terrain: without those it might have been a price more comparable to the 40k command edition. Shame really, Warcry is a good ruleset IMO.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post

Where'd you see those prices? If that's USD, it's a bit more expensive than the last one, I'd want to compare the terrain and new bits. Also there's a second book in there, which they probably use to justify the price jump, which is a bit silly.

Honestly if the rulebook didn't change (looks the same to me), you probably don't need to buy the box unless you really want to play Catacombs or really want the Warbands before they're sold separately. I want all of it, so I'll probably buy in anyways

Warcry actually doesn't need special stuff - get the rulebook and Cards or Tome of Champions 2019, and you can use your AoS models on whatever 22x30 space with terrain. Sure, you don't have the specific terrain to match terrain cards, but that's not specifically necessary. Now, that might change in Catacombs, since it uses those corridors and narrow boards (like KT Arena did), but you can build those up as well.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Where'd you see those prices? If that's USD, it's a bit more expensive than the last one, I'd want to compare the terrain and new bits. Also there's a second book in there, which they probably use to justify the price jump, which is a bit silly.

Honestly if the rulebook didn't change (looks the same to me), you probably don't need to buy the box unless you really want to play Catacombs or really want the Warbands before they're sold separately. I want all of it, so I'll probably buy in anyways

Warcry actually doesn't need special stuff - get the rulebook and Cards or Tome of Champions 2019, and you can use your AoS models on whatever 22x30 space with terrain. Sure, you don't have the specific terrain to match terrain cards, but that's not specifically necessary. Now, that might change in Catacombs, since it uses those corridors and narrow boards (like KT Arena did), but you can build those up as well.
    At least for us the older one has been out of stock for months now, same with the card packs and tome of champions.

New Warcry boxes for Ironjaws, Kharadron, Skaven and FEC at 60$ seem like a mixed bag; the Skaven one with 20 clanrats plus stuff seems good, but the Ironjaws being 10 models feels like not much of a deal.

Edit: Details of the box in Warhammer Community:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ts-in-the-box/
    Last edited by LansXero; 2020-10-19 at 11:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Note to self. Sylvaneth is not my jam. The big issue is that the models are really obnoxious to assemble--all spindly limbs and branches.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Some nice reveals for AoS today. I'm not a big Slaanesh fan, so I'll pass on Prince Sigvald and his pals, but the Underworlds warband looks like the kind of thing that I want just to paint, those are some lovely looking minis.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #292

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Some nice reveals for AoS today. I'm not a big Slaanesh fan, so I'll pass on Prince Sigvald and his pals, but the Underworlds warband looks like the kind of thing that I want just to paint, those are some lovely looking minis.
    The improved Chaos Warrior look is great, but they were great to begin with.

Don't really care much about more Slaanesh, though I will have to beat them when I will see them on the other side of the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone read C.L. Werner's Kharadron novels, if so, any good?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know about his work on Kharadrons, but I liked what he did for Skaven in Time of Legends: Black Plague.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

If he's the one that wrote Overlords of the Iron Dragon, I found it an enjoyable read, and I've heard that the sequels get better, too.

26. - Top - End - #296

Beholder

Overlords of the Iron Dragon was pretty enjoyable for a warhammer book, and told a solid story. Haven't read the sequels yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    I don't know about his work on Kharadrons, but I liked what he did for Skaven in Time of Legends: Black Plague.
    Oh, didn't know he did that one, guess I shouldn't be surprised, he did a great job on the Thanagoul (sp?) novels, I'll have to pick it up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

potato cam strikes again!

Spoiler
    Show

well 4 more days till the preview....
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

29. - Top - End - #299

NecromancerGuy

Better quality images direct from GW here.

Definitely pleased to see the vampire harkening back to the Blood Dragons!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

That vampire looks rad, and surprisingly restrained for GW's recent stuff.