New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Age Of Sigmar II: I Can't Believe It's Not Magic!

So bunch of reveals from the latest AoS stream. More Lumineth and already a new battletome. Oh well, at least AoS has free warscrolls.

Cursed City looks pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    So that TTS tournament I mentioned a while ago has finally closed sign ups. 32 people from several LATAM countries.

My group has me playing Cities (Tempest Eye) vs Kharadron Overlords, Seraphon (Fangs) and Nighthaunts (ft. Ollynder).

So nervous.

If you wanna check out the site (although its all in spanish):
    http://latwargame.com/torneos/explorar
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Well thanks to man who reads book, I no longer plan on buying the Teclis book. A single battalion for OBR and FEC. Wheeeee.

Seems to be worthwhile purchase for Nurgle and Cities players though.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Have they brought the Dark elf Black Ark Corsairs and their hydras/Charybdis pets up to date yet in AoS or is there just the Witch Elves at this point? I know there were lists for all the old Fantasy stuff but they were supposedly very low powered on purpose.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Yes- those rules are in the Cities of Sigmar book.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Halfling in the Playground

My understanding is that Privateers still aren't the best. 5+ save goes to 4+ against missiles, and can either choose from 2 5+/4+ 9" attacks or 1 4+/4+ 1" attack.

However, they did actually basically re-unify the old Dark Elves units with the new Cities of Sigmar sub-allegienace Har Kuron, which can be Scourge Privateers, Shadowblades (aka assassins and such), Order Serpentis (aka any cold one units), or Darkling Covens (aka all other Dark Elf units), with one in four units being a Daughters of Khaine unit.

I'm unsure whether this means that you can't use the old Anvilgard rules (which specialized in Dragons, Kharybdiss, and War Hydras, and in the fluff was largely Scourge Privateers and other Dark Elf units)

Edit: To be clear, Anvilgard is in Cities of Sigmar, and Har Kuron is rules added in Broken Realms; Morathi.
    Last edited by Gwynchan'rGwyll; 2021-03-29 at 03:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Banned

Any city can take any cities units, and most people go Tempest Eye for the +1 to wound relic (or was it General trait?). You can also get that from Hallowheart, and +1 to hit from a Luminark so number of shots matter more than hit/wound.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Question, out of interest.

Does AoS suffer from the same broken-meta issues that (supposedly) 9e WH40K does? Is there a wide range of play styles (not just factions that are the same style in different dress) that are viable at the "not necessarily tournament winners but still have a chance of not getting crushed hopelessly" level?
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Question, out of interest.

Does AoS suffer from the same broken-meta issues that (supposedly) 9e WH40K does? Is there a wide range of play styles (not just factions that are the same style in different dress) that are viable at the "not necessarily tournament winners but still have a chance of not getting crushed hopelessly" level?
    AoS mission design is extremely different from 40K; I think 40K players would have a heart attack if they played Knife to the Heart. It is a game of bodies standing on objectives but what bodies will change both based on army AND mission.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    AoS mission design is extremely different from 40K; I think 40K players would have a heart attack if they played Knife to the Heart. It is a game of bodies standing on objectives but what bodies will change both based on army AND mission.
    Knife is super simple. Round 1: chicken. Round 2: Soulscream Bridge near it, shoot the life out of anything in cap range, plop khinerais, on 4+ move to the point and win. The new Lumineth guy can do the 'shoot then run' thing too.

Better part of valour, on the other hand... yuck

Right now its Age of Shooting after it was Age of Summoning, but Im sure others will have more positive outlooks. A new faction is about to come out as well that may shake the meta.
    Last edited by LansXero; 2021-03-30 at 12:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340

GnomePirate

Just checking for my favorite Fantasy armies, since the Corsair fleets are back, by chance are Bretonnians?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    Just checking for my favorite Fantasy armies, since the Corsair fleets are back, by chance are Bretonnians?
    They aren't back, some fantasy units were grandfathered in with stats in the Compendium, sort of like 40k's 8E Indexes. They didn't have any extra abilities like command abilities, subfactions, etc. until the release of Cities of Sigmar, but they were playable, had points costs and could be taken as allies within their own Grand Alliance.

Gone is gone. GW can't copyright generic knights or egyptians. Some 'spiritual succesor' might show up (like High Elves -> Lumineth or Tomb Kings -> Ossiarchs) but they won't "return" gone armies.

12. - Top - End - #342

Brets are gone-gone. Models no longer sold. I'm not sure if they even have rules that are legal anymore, though they might have old rules that aren't tournament-legal.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'know. I don't know why I'm surprised. Nagash has basically been a punching bag since AoS started. What better way to go forward than to have him killed off *again* to make the pointy elves look good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

14. - Top - End - #344

I mean we're transitioning to 3rd Edition. They need to downplay Nagash to transition from the Age of Death to the Age of ______. The Soul Wars (and Nagash's supposed ascendance) is over.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just grousing because literally every campaign, Nagash at his best, just... What? Caused the Necroquake by messing up his big ritual? Temporarily stalled the return of Slaanesh? Got killed by Archeon and now Teclis?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I'm just grousing because literally every campaign, Nagash at his best, just... What? Caused the Necroquake by messing up his big ritual? Temporarily stalled the return of Slaanesh? Got killed by Archeon and now Teclis?
    Part of the problem is that Nagash goes for the 'win big' plans. If he were to suceed he would completely win, which isn't something that can happen in current AoS. Also, chance of a character failing in their namesake book is near zero.

Which is why I'm looking forward to Be'lakor. He's bound to shake up Chaos in an interesting way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Banned

The problem isn't Nagash losing or even dying.

The issue is that the books got destroyed.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Part of the problem is that Nagash goes for the 'win big' plans. If he were to suceed he would completely win, which isn't something that can happen in current AoS. Also, chance of a character failing in their namesake book is near zero.

Which is why I'm looking forward to Be'lakor. He's bound to shake up Chaos in an interesting way.
    It's not so much that I want to see him completely succeed in his win-big schemes.

But seeing him do anything that isn't Jobbing for other characters would be nice. Particularly when at least in the actual Teclis campaign rulewise seems so heavily favored towards Nagash being the actual winner.

My only hope out of this is maybe we'll get Death not being totally bound to Nagash and therefore able to kind of diversify from it's previous incarnation as Nagash's spooky scary dudes.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    It's not so much that I want to see him completely succeed in his win-big schemes.

But seeing him do anything that isn't Jobbing for other characters would be nice. Particularly when at least in the actual Teclis campaign rulewise seems so heavily favored towards Nagash being the actual winner.

My only hope out of this is maybe we'll get Death not being totally bound to Nagash and therefore able to kind of diversify from it's previous incarnation as Nagash's spooky scary dudes.
    Sounds like they're "Worf"ing him pretty hard. Poor guy is going to end up like Abaddon in 40k.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Today I learned:

The Cursed City Humanoid models are done in 32mm scale, not just on 32mm bases*. This means that against other Humans and Human-like models, they're like 8-ft. tall. That means the Duardin, is somewhere between 5 and 5'6". This makes the models barely usable in any other game (specifically, D&D), and barely functional in my current Cities of Sigmar army, and as such has killed my interest in buying the box...Of which I was going to do, until the store owner showed me the models, my heart died - as did he - as he just lost a $300 sale.

*I'm sure, had I watched any videos on the subject, I would've have seen the models, in scale, before now, instead of against a white backdrop with no scale. Unfortunately, I've given up on Warhammer TV content, so, no, I have not seen the models in their 32mm scale glory until now. So that's on me, sure. I'm not mad. Just sad that I can't use the models for anything other than the game they're made for.
    The non-Human models appear to be in 25mm scale, and I do need Bat Swarms and Rat Swarms. So my money will be going to scalpers, and unfortunately, not to my local (non-GW) store owner.

In other news:
    The 'new' Underworlds set is the already-existing ETB Castigators with Gryph-Hound and the ETB Glaivewraith Stalkers.
    I think I died a little on the inside.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Meanwhile GW ran out of Cursed City before even processing my LGS's order.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I don't even play AoS but I saw this (new and improved Lord Kroak on his throne) and my jaw hit the table.

Look at it. Just... look at it. This is an utterly incredible miniature.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-04-12 at 10:58 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #353

It's a GORGEOUS mini, but I do miss the more skeletal skull. My first take was "wow Kroak returned to life!" Maybe there'll be an alternate skeletal head option? Fingers crossed.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynchan'rGwyll View Post
    It's a GORGEOUS mini, but I do miss the more skeletal skull. My first take was "wow Kroak returned to life!" Maybe there'll be an alternate skeletal head option? Fingers crossed.
    Looks like one is a "living" head with a tiara and the other is his golden helmet/headdress. Paint it up like a death-mask, make his skin paler and the brown straps back into bandages and I think it's look fine as a mummy again.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

It looks like they took some design cues from the old 5th edition artwork, which is one of the art pieces from when I was first getting into WFB that's really stuck with me. I'm not sure about the big rotating rings (I think they're on the verge of making it overly busy in the way a lot of current-generation GW minis are), and I'm not a huge fan of the more sci-fi/mechanical details on the back of the palanquin - but it's definitely a great mini. Wish I still had a game to buy it for.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

26. - Top - End - #356

NecromancerGirl

So, I saw someone mention in the 40k thread that Daughters of Khaine are one of the top end armies, but seemed to be saying that was when played with Morathi. Is that basically mandatory? How well do they work without that big centre piece model? How reliant are they on either the Shadow Queen and/or the big shrine models? Is there a place for builds with on foot heroes and loads of infantry? I'm mostly asking cause Morathi eats up a lot of points, and I really don't like the look of the big wheeled shrine models. And at what point is it too many snake archers? Cause those are some very good looking models. And after the witchbrew nerf how needed is a Hag Queen? And are there any units that have a great big "don't take unless you really like the look of them" sign on them?

27. - Top - End - #357

I'm no expert, but I will say that Sigmar is a shooting meta, and the snake archers can currently take out a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh by shooting in the COMMAND phase. I've seen it done. It's scary.

28. - Top - End - #358

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynchan'rGwyll View Post
    I'm no expert, but I will say that Sigmar is a shooting meta, and the snake archers can currently take out a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh by shooting in the COMMAND phase. I've seen it done. It's scary.
    Yeah, but that is based on an ability of Morathi-Khaine. I'm asking if its possible to not take her, and have them be a lot more reasonable in terms of fairness. Almost all the battle reports I have seen involving the new Daughters of Khaine have had Morathi in the list. But for when I play, I'm planning on not using her that often, if at all. So its very likely they will be middle of the road or even bad like they were before.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    Yeah, but that is based on an ability of Morathi-Khaine. I'm asking if its possible to not take her, and have them be a lot more reasonable in terms of fairness. Almost all the battle reports I have seen involving the new Daughters of Khaine have had Morathi in the list. But for when I play, I'm planning on not using her that often, if at all. So its very likely they will be middle of the road or even bad like they were before.
    DoK without Morathi are like Seraphon without Kroak: way overnerfed. You are fragile and don't have redundancy (summoning) or endurance, so unless you can deal a huge blow to your opponent T1, you'll fold right after. Morathi cant be killed so she will keep providing force multiplication and her own firepower and as such anchors the list around her. Without that, a double turn on round 2 will probably wipe you out.

You have to contend with gunlines at the level of Tempest Eye, Kharadron or Lumineth, and doing so without an unkillable powerhouse that is also one of the better force multipliers in the game is just asking to lose.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    you can, but you will be absolutely forced into Hagnar, and will need multiple blood-alters. However as Lans points out, some of DoK's best tricks either run off Morathi's command ability or her durability.