New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age Of Sigmar II: I Can't Believe It's Not Magic!

Currently KO are best as part of a Cities of Sigmar army, however the rumor mill says that the new Battletome is coming next year, along with Tzeench and Saraphon.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Robot Goat View Post
    Thanks all for the responses, glad to hear that it wouldn't be the roughest match-up out there. I also recommended Free Cities, but he's worried that they aren't going to get new models. I do love the dwarf spear-men conversions I've seen out there, though.
    Well, since they can ally in Sylvaneth, KO and Stormcasts, they'll always be getting 'new' models; although I doubt the range itself might get much if anything.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey all, I've been thinking about dipping my toe into Warcry. It looks like a lot of fun and the models are gorgeous. Thoughts and feelings on the gameplay? How have people gone about setting up campaigns?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post
    Hey all, I've been thinking about dipping my toe into Warcry. It looks like a lot of fun and the models are gorgeous. Thoughts and feelings on the gameplay? How have people gone about setting up campaigns?
    Warcry is a lot of fun! As I've posted before, I think it lacks the depth to be a "main wargame" that you play nonstop, but it's excellent as a pick up and play or beer and pretzels game in your hobby repertoire. To that extent, it's good because all you need is your warband box, the Core Rulebook, and a terrain set - or not, if someone else has it. (Alongside of course regular wargaming tools like dice and measuring)

The campaign system is very simple, you don't even have to set up a running map campaign or anything like that. Just confirm if your opponent is also playing a campaign (easy if you all are) and keep track of your own! Campaigns from the book are more of a personal progress system rather than a cooperative storyline, though you could easily add those elements yourself.

What warbands are you looking at?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well my shop is doing a holiday sale and I picked up Splintered Fang and the Corvus Cabal. I figured I might as well pick up some of the terrain as well, and bought the Defiled Ruins. Now I realize I also need the cards and the main rulebook. Overall my investment will be a little over the $175 for the starter kit, but truthfully neither of the starter warbands interested me very much and it seems like I'll be able to pick up everything I need without it. Unless I oughta pick up the chaotic beasts pack as well.

I have one primary opponent and we rotate through 40k, Infinity, and Dystopian Wars. I don't think it would be too hard to add in Warcry to the rotation as well, maybe keeping a once a month campaign going.
    Last edited by Don Qui Ho Tep; 2019-12-17 at 03:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tbh if they had switched out just one of the starter-kit bands for literally any of the others, I probably would have got it. They just had to pick what I think are the two most boring bands for the starter kit.

Like, you have Graeco-roman snake gladiators, super creepy faceless death cultists with a stilt-walking quadriplegic scarecrow (I have a favourite does it show), sophisticated masked dancers, crow-masked assassins, and you pick the... generic furry barbarians, and metal-covered brutes. The two bands that look most like the existing chaos models (though I do have to give the Iron Golems credit for their Bioshock-Big-Daddy helmets).
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

You're not wrong! I like the Iron Golems okay (and very happy to see a Chaos Dwarf), but the Untamed Beasts just turned me right off. I've come back to playing 40K after a seven-year hiatus because I love the lore and heard good things about eight edition. But I've not yet dipped my toe into Age of Sigmar because it doesn't have the same sense of nostalgia attached to it (although I am very happy for everyone else to continue to be enjoying Age of Sigma without me ). Part of that was the aesthetic of some of the new sculpts and a lot of the Untamed Beasts look much too much like the generic angry Blades of Khorne type models, in which I have little interest.

That said, literally every other warband in the game is fantastic. I knew I was going to pick up Splintered Fang but was torn in a three-way tie between the Unmade, Cypher Lords, and Corvus Cabal. I ultimately decided that Corvus Cabal would have a distinct enough aesthetic from Splintered Fang and that the higher mobility, lower toughness would be a good contrast in playstyles.

Thoughts and feelings on if I should pick up the Chaotic Beasts? I'm not really feeling the need to at the moment but I'm a little anxious to pick up the Twist deck and find half the cards require me to place a bunch of Furies on the board.

Which warbands do you play, and what has your experience been?
    Last edited by Don Qui Ho Tep; 2019-12-17 at 09:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The December update is out.

Slannessh is finally getting fixed, the Contorted Epitome is still way too cheap, and Demon princes are hilarious now.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    The December update is out.

Slannessh is finally getting fixed, the Contorted Epitome is still way too cheap, and Demon princes are hilarious now.
    What's funny about Princes now? Or were you just talking about the bonkers StD update? Which they kind of needed with how good the god-specific Greater Daemons are now.

I like the Slaanesh update. It's more of a gentle touch than a smashing, which feels better for everyone. Slaanesh gets nerfed and others are happy, but Slaanesh players don't have to bin their entire army. There's a chance that it's not enough of a push (Keepers are still crazy efficient, Locus is nerfed but still one of the better abilities in the game, Summoning will still be efficient, etc), but if they do keep up with 6 month updates, I think it'll be ok.

I don't have much thoughts on a lot of the changes. None of the point drops strike me as big enough to turn the game on its head, but should open up some new support for existing builds. SCE might see more Dracoline Evos, which is cool, but Stardrakes are still a bit pillowfisted for their points. I'll wait and see on the rest. The other rule updates are mostly common sense, other than the Plague Monk changes, which nerf them but they're still very strong horde blendy boys.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    What's funny about Princes now? Or were you just talking about the bonkers StD update? Which they kind of needed with how good the god-specific Greater Daemons are now.
    the STD update, taking 11d3 mortal wounds while trying to clear maruders is hilarious.

The other rule updates are mostly common sense, other than the Plague Monk changes, which nerf them but they're still very strong horde blendy boys.
    the plague monk changes aren't a nerf, its a power redistribution that is a net benefit for speed of play reasons.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2019-12-18 at 10:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

the STD update, taking 11d3 mortal wounds while trying to clear maruders is hilarious.

the plague monk changes aren't a nerf, its a power redistribution that is a net benefit for speed of play reasons.
    It is a nerf, you get one less attack with the woe-stave setup now, and the double blade setup is worse. Additionally, when the rats explode on a 6, they can only deal MWs to an enemy within 3" of the model that died, rather than any distance, so if you tag a unit of Monks at the end they can't choose to pull far away models and still hurt you. Very good for big monsters on the charge - can still get hurt, but not the whole unit can do so.

And their exploding attacks happen on Wounds of 6 instead of Hits, which is better and worse depending on buffs, but baseline worse.

Overall, the nerf isn't enough to shelve them (especially since they're still massive bombs with the right buffs), but it is for sure a weaker warscroll than it was yesterday.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

It is a nerf, you get one less attack with the woe-stave setup now, and the double blade setup is worse. Additionally, when the rats explode on a 6, they can only deal MWs to an enemy within 3" of the model that died, rather than any distance, so if you tag a unit of Monks at the end they can't choose to pull far away models and still hurt you. Very good for big monsters on the charge - can still get hurt, but not the whole unit can do so.

And their exploding attacks happen on Wounds of 6 instead of Hits, which is better and worse depending on buffs, but baseline worse.

Overall, the nerf isn't enough to shelve them (especially since they're still massive bombs with the right buffs), but it is for sure a weaker warscroll than it was yesterday.
    You'll forgive me when I take the word of the current second place ITC player that the new monks > old monks.

Double blades were always better than woe-staves (magic number being 16), you no longer need to keep 4 piles of dice, double blades now hit more often, pull order only matters if you are daisy chaining and you rely on Death Frenzy for death trigger damage anyway.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You'll forgive me when I take the word of the current second place ITC player that the new monks > old monks.

Double blades were always better than woe-staves (magic number being 16), you no longer need to keep 4 piles of dice, double blades now hit more often, pull order only matters if you are daisy chaining and you rely on Death Frenzy for death trigger damage anyway.
    They're better in that it's more streamlined and easier for play. They're mathematically worse damage for both weapon options as well as MW on death. I agree that they're better for the game now that one unit doesn't take 20 minutes to roll out, but it's still a nerf from a stat perspective.

Do people actually submit AoS events to ITC? I honestly don't hear about it outside 40k anymore. From what I gather it's basically just West Coast.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Do people actually submit AoS events to ITC? I honestly don't hear about it outside 40k anymore. From what I gather it's basically just West Coast.
    Pretty much everyone except Adepticon (who doesn't submit despite the players telling the TO to submit) submit to the ITC these days.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pretty much everyone except Adepticon (who doesn't submit despite the players telling the TO to submit) submit to the ITC these days.
    I mean, except the UK, Australia, most of Europe, most of the midwest (including some of the largest AoS events in the US), and big southern events like Nashcon. Not to put down the accoplishments of reaching that high on the rankings, as it's still fairly popular, but imo it doesn't really hold the weight of something like 40k does.

I personally would prefer if it was more popular, a wide adoption of an international ranking system would be great for competitive AoS, but it's still fairly fractured overall.

Anyway, this is tangential at best.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-1/

KO and Tzeentch box + Battletomes! The characters look pretty amazing too. Hopefully they'll make both armies not just one-tricks, I have a lot of faith in that given how good the recent slew of books have been.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

And the rumor mill continues to be correct.

new Tzeench and KO this January.

Meanwhile the latest White Dwarf Nighthaunt Battalions are really good.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Partially tempted to get that box, but questioning myself if I want even more skyriggers and discgors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Partially tempted to get that box, but questioning myself if I want even more skyriggers and discgors.
    And the truth is, you won't know until the book comes out Worse comes to worst, you can always hang on to it and sell it after.

I do like the idea of a Kharadron army, but to be honest I have enough shooting in my Stormcast that it doesn't really feel like I'd get a different experience out of them unless they really revamp the vehicle mechanics and make it interesting. Disc-based Tzeentch does seem cool but I dunno if it'd be my first choice for a new army.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

Kharadron! The changes sound good so far, being able to shoot out of boats is solid, and boats just having an innate teleport is pretty bonkers.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...s-of-tzeentch/

Tzeentch, on the other hand, seem like they're going to be insanely frustrating again. Destiny Dice remain (eww) and a faction that lets you summon your first Lord of Change super cheap, plus an innate -1 hit melee Locus? I can't wait to pull my hair out, it'll be just like 2017 all over again

In other news, I committed a list for the end of the month and now need to get 90 Boyz + Heroes and Rogue Idol painted in a few weeks. Contrast, hooooo
    Last edited by Requizen; 2020-01-02 at 09:20 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Frankly, I'm most excited that one of the KO subfactions is going to have frigates as battle line. Makes me hope that a boat centric list is goi gto ve viable.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

22. - Top - End - #52

Beholder

The tzeentch stuff is thematic, but is probably not all that enjoyable ingame.

Skydwarfs on the other hand seem to get the things they needed to get in their first release.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Frankly, I'm most excited that one of the KO subfactions is going to have frigates as battle line. Makes me hope that a boat centric list is goi gto ve viable.
    It'll depend on their point values. The small and medium boats are still too expensive atm, but scuttlebutt is that we'll see some noteworthy warscroll and point changes alongside the subfaction stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    The tzeentch stuff is thematic, but is probably not all that enjoyable ingame.

Skydwarfs on the other hand seem to get the things they needed to get in their first release.
    I'm fully ready for Tzeentch to be a problem again, but tbh the power level in the game right now is a lot higher than when the first book came out and broke the game, so it probably won't be too crazy in comparison. "If everything is OP, nothing is" and what not.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just hoping my mortals only lists will be a bit more viable.

The changes to kairic acolytes make me optimistic. (I don't mind summoning in some daemons, but I prefer to avoid the tzaangors.)
    Last edited by Tome; 2020-01-03 at 10:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Beholder

So the upcoming big book is a new book in the Soul Wars: Wrath of the Everchosen, death vs chaos. We will see what it brings.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-1/

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Pointy elves? Oh dear.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That new Underworlds warband looks great! Finally a replacement to the old Hunter, I bet you see lots of people using him as their foot dude.

Pointy aelves are.... interesting, and I've historically liked the aesthetic, but I've come to enjoy AoS's wacky take on the various traditional races. Dunno if I'd be as tempted by them as Deepkin, personally, but I'm glad they exist for the people who prefer that.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

We played a few test games for the team tournament on the weekend, with my Khorne up against first Stormcast and then Ogors.

My List
    Daemon Prince of Khorne (Thronebreaker's Torc, General)
    Skarbrand
    Bloodsecrator (Thermalrider's Cloak)
    Slaughterpriest (Resanguination)
    Slaughterpriest (Bronzed Flesh)
    Bloodstoker
    15x Blood Warriors
    10x Bloodreavers
    10x Bloodreavers
    5x Wrathmongers
    6x Bloodcrushers

The general vibe is that Skarbrand, the Blood Warriors, and the Bloodcrushers are three threats which hit home pretty quickly and need to be dealt with. If both the Wrathmongers and Bloodsecrator are in range, Skarbrand deals 24 damage, no questions asked. The Daemon Prince has his great command ability, automatically fights first, and with the Thronebreakers Torc has a 3++ and lasts a while against anything other than mortal wounds.

Better Part Of Valor Vs Stormcast Eternals
    • He had shooting and an Everblaze Comet, so I took the first turn even though that meant I couldn't get the charge. His army was based around a lot of casting, plus a deathstar of Evocators on Dracolines with Staunch, so they were making saves on 2+rr... or something.
    • He froze Skarbrand out by deploying everything far away so Skarbrand never made it to combat.
    • One side of the board had a huge piece of Entangling terrain, which his Evocator force had to pass: I charged my Bloodcrushers straight into it and took a gamble - that paid off, when even with a re-roll, halving and reducing charge distance meant the Evocators didn't make the charge and my Bloodcrushers instead got them good.
    • I was skeptical about the Hexgorger Skulls, but my opponent misplayed by using his Lord-Whatsit to drop his cogs and then tried to spam spells - causing them to explode not once but twice and kill the Lord-Thingummy and half the dracolines.
    • My opponent snatched two objectives off me in the last turn with Judicators and Vanguard Hunters coming in from space, but he'd delayed a little too long on burning his own, and I was able to push forward and burn them for lots of points and get an unbreakable lead.
    • Skarbrand Running Kill Total: 0

Blood and Glory vs Ogors
    • My opponent had a two-drop list of a Goremand and Frostlord on Stonehorn.
    • The Daemon Prince did great work again, protecting my bloodcrushers from a charge by a big group of Gluttons, and then the Slaughtermaster exploded himself on the hexgorger skulls.
    • The Blood Warriors made a first-turn charge on the Stonehorn, and effectively tied it up for the rest of the game.
    • Skarbrand made a fully-buffed charge this game, dealing those twenty-four wounds to the other big group of Gluttons, causing the rest to flee. This left him exposed to some Leadbelcher shooting, but they rolled a 3 for their 2d6 attacks and he survived on only a few wounds left.
    • My opponent had further terrible luck with his gluttons and Ironbellies failing to scratch either the Bloodcrushers or the Daemon Prince, and what I had thought was an entirely lost cause of a flank actually turned in my favor over time.
    • After shooting and Thunderous Charge, Skarbrand is at four wounds left. The Slaughtermaster and Leadbelchers charge, but only one gets to go before Skarbrand himself. The leadbelchers beat him down to one wound with their guns, and then land a hit and a wound with their bites. Thanks to Ribcracker, he needs a 6 to save - and gets it! Skarbrand survives on one wound, and chops up the ogors.
    • Turn 3, Skarbrand moves onto one of my opponent's objectives, and the Daemon Prince disengages onto the other. Major Victory!
    • Skarbrand Kill Running Total: 8 Gluttons, 2 Leadbelchers, Slaughtermaster.

I'm pretty pleased with my list (good, because the deadline to change it has passed). I got a lot of good luck (a few excellent charge rolls, poor luck on my opponent's part, and lots of opportunities for things to go against me that didn't come up), and my opponent in the first game made a few misplays - in retrospect, we decided that when casting at a -2, re-rolling successes, the chances of successfully casting are so low compared to the chances of exploding oneself are so low as to not be worth bothering with. The way that multipliers and modifiers stack makes -to charge really good when combined with the Daemon Prince halving charge ranges, so I wish I had an in-list source of that, but the Thermalrider's Cloak was consistently excellent on the Bloodsecrator, so I don't know how I could get any of it in.

A question: Hexgorger Skulls explode if my opponent rolls an Unmodified 8 and apply a -2, and the Bloodsecrator forces opponents to re-roll successful casts. If my opponent rolls an 8 while within range of the Bloodsecrator and it is a success, do the skulls explode, or is my opponent forced to re-roll first?

30. - Top - End - #60

Beholder

After rerolls, just like unmodified hit/wound rolls.