New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age Of Sigmar II: I Can't Believe It's Not Magic!

The Hexgorger Skulls also cause the casting attempt to fail - does that kick in before the re-roll, so you don't get the re-roll, or does the re-roll happen before you have an "unmodified" result.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

iirc rerolls are before modifiers. Its weird like that.

New KO warscrolls are around, and I'm a bit miffed that I have to change some wargear around. I'm also wondering if I should keep rigger saws or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

It seems to have flown under the radar - I only know about it because a close friend specifically pointed it out to me - by GW are launching another subscription-only, build-your-own-army magazine called Age of Sigmar: Mortal Realms

Collect Stormcast Eternals and Nighthaunt a dozen models at a time (or rather, half-a-sprue of a large monster when appropriate) along with paints, brushes, model holder, paint pot, palette, clippers and other modelling accessories over the course of the next... year or so, I think? Going by the pictures it seems to be roughly 52 weeks, at 3 Stormcast/handful of 'Gaunts per issue.

Only available in the UK and Spain, for some reason, so I don't know how many people would be able to get hold of it if they wanted to... But it's interesting none-the-less.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It seems to have flown under the radar - I only know about it because a close friend specifically pointed it out to me - by GW are launching another subscription-only, build-your-own-army magazine called Age of Sigmar: Mortal Realms

Collect Stormcast Eternals and Nighthaunt a dozen models at a time (or rather, half-a-sprue of a large monster when appropriate) along with paints, brushes, model holder, paint pot, palette, clippers and other modelling accessories over the course of the next... year or so, I think? Going by the pictures it seems to be roughly 52 weeks, at 3 Stormcast/handful of 'Gaunts per issue.

Only available in the UK and Spain, for some reason, so I don't know how many people would be able to get hold of it if they wanted to... But it's interesting none-the-less.
    Yeah it's pretty neat but wrong country for me

I've already heard that people are buying up multiple subscriptions and then flipping the sprues for full cost of what they'd be. As expected, to be honest.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

If they ever bring a similar Conquest-style subscription to Canada, I'd snap that up...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #66

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

It’s 80 issues, just like Warhammer Conquest. Looks to have a good range of stuff available!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

7. - Top - End - #67

Beholder

Conquest is definitly good value. Definitly a recommendation if you want the models included.

Played some warcry yesterday. I think I'm finally getting grips with the Unmade. Use the leader to steamroll things and the other fellas to support him and make sure he can't be attacked.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Conquest is definitly good value. Definitly a recommendation if you want the models included.

Played some warcry yesterday. I think I'm finally getting grips with the Unmade. Use the leader to steamroll things and the other fellas to support him and make sure he can't be attacked.
    IMO, Unmade are 100% about abusing Nightmarish Visage. You want as many Doubles as possible, chuck your chumps up the board, and lock down important units. Then your Blissful One cleans house!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

10. - Top - End - #70

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    IMO, Unmade are 100% about abusing Nightmarish Visage. You want as many Doubles as possible, chuck your chumps up the board, and lock down important units. Then your Blissful One cleans house!
    I made less use of the Nightmarish Visage than I should, but it is very good. Upping that in priority next time.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Brotherhood battle report!

I was at Brotherhood in cardiff this weekend with a group of friends, and we were aware going into it that this was a big event in the UK AOS calendar - i'm not much of one for following "the scene" but my companions who were kept saying things like "I heard that Facehammer will be there", as if I should know who Facehammer were. We were a group of chumps in comparison, so we pretty much wanted to just not come last.

My List
    Spoiler
    Show
    Daemon Prince of Khorne (Thronebreaker's Torc, General)
    Skarbrand
    Bloodsecrator (Thermalrider's Cloak)
    Slaughterpriest (Resanguination)
    Slaughterpriest (Bronzed Flesh)
    Bloodstoker
    15x Blood Warriors
    10x Bloodreavers
    10x Bloodreavers
    5x Wrathmongers
    6x Bloodcrushers
    Hexgorger Skulls
    Skull Altar

Skarbrand and the Bloodcrushers can do a truckload of mortal wounds in the right condition, The slaughterpriests, skulls, and altar shut down enemy wizards, and between the Goretide command ability and the Bloodstoker, I can charge the warriors or reavers 17+2d6 inches.

My preferred Hidden Agendas were Onslaught (make a 9" charge, which I was able to do pretty easily with the whip), and Sacrifice (get Skarbrand killed by a Hero or Monster) which I only got once since he kept dying to spells or non-hero units.

Practice Game - Shifting Objectives vs Skaven - 5 Stormfiends, HPA, 90 assorted rats
    • I setup to go for all three objectives, while my opponent castled up to one side, ready to jump through a Gnawhole.
    • My opponent gave me the first turn, which allowed me to rocket blood warriors across the board and into a screen of rats that they did very little to, although they did just clip the stormfiends.
    • Bloodreivers took a break from "shielding objectives" to get on with "shielding gnawholes".
    • I managed to take all three objectives on the first turn, and the stormfiends being in combat meant that Skarbrand made it into their lines to just erase twenty clanrats. This was the biggest kill he would make for quite a while. Off to the left, the Bloodcrushers do much the same thing with impact hits.
    • The Daemon Prince was erased by a warp lightning vortex, and half the rest of my heroes took a few wounds.
    • The stormfiends, having mulched the blood warriors, mulch Skarbrand.
    • At the end of the game I hadn't really killed much except clanrats and been pretty decimated myself, but forcing the board control meant that I was racking up points fast enough to be well ahead.

Skarbrand Kill Running Total: 8 Gluttons, 2 Leadbelchers, Slaughtermaster, twenty clanrats.

Game One - Total Commitment vs Tzeentch Changehost (note that it was the old book, by TO's order)
    • We're up against a team that looks rather stronger, but I get a good matchup.
    • This game was so similar to the Skaven one - me vs a real big castle - that a few days after the fact I'm struggling to remember which moments were from which.
    • Lots of magic coming in, far more than my antimagic could effectively stop. Having some nullifying terrain helped, but between all the various bonuses to cast, until my hexgorger skulls were in range, all I had was a "re-roll successes" and my attempts to unbind - and frustratingly what kept happening was that he would re-roll a successful six into a successful fourteen or whatever, meaning my unbinds were useless.
    • The full Nonsense Cannon was only in action for one turn, though, meaning all my heavy hitters - Prince, Skarbrand, Skullcrushers - made it in reasonably healthily. Just about everything else died, though.
    • The Hexgorger Skulls only exploded once, not killing anything - but my opponent then avoided them for the rest of the game, which cut down on the magic a lot. Still lots of summoning shenanigans though, lots of darting around and swapping and dropping horrors everywhere. While Khorne has a rule where you can't add models to the unit to take it into combat, Old!Tzeentch has nothing similar and he was able to deny me lots of useful movement and charge bonuses by clipping units.
    • I get eight blood tithe points, enough for a Bloodthirster! I don't have a Bloodthirster! I drop down twenty bloodletters instead and draw a big ridiculous line to deny him summoning onto two objectives.
    • I'm doing pretty badly at the end, but I have a big points lead. Victory to Khorne!
    Skarbrand Kill Running Total: 8 Gluttons, 2 Leadbelchers, Slaughtermaster, twenty clanrats, about thirty assorted horrors.

Game Two - Blood and Glory vs Hallowheart - Luminark, Hurricanum, wizards, crossbows, handgunners.
    • As a team, we practically drew last round, so we go up to the mid-tables to face off against someone that my more community-minded companions are all terrified of. "It's Dice Studz!" they say. "The Facehammer people. Look, that's Tony!". None of these names mean anything to me at all.
    • My opponent castles up big around a Soulscream Bridge so he can teleport around, and though I could make it in on the charge I decide not to, afraid of the overwatch they get to do. "They'll shoot anyway," I think. This is a mistake.
    • Everything dies. My opponent was nice when chatting before the game but soon gained the dispassionate mien of a man clubbing yet another seal. The hexgorger skulls are out of range first turn - as always - and so all I can do is try to deny against over a dozen spells with +6 or more.
    • Turn two, everything effective I have is dead except the Daemon Prince, who hops onto the other end of the Soulscream Bridge to block it, and summons a group of bloodletters. They charge, kill two crossbowmen, and die. Then the daemon prince dies.
    • Turn three and four all I can do is back away out of range and try not to be killed too much - every two units of mine that die is another small group of Bloodletters to die.
    • I don't quite get wiped. I had a big points advantage at the start, but my opponent effortlessly pushes it back to a 10-12 loss.
    • He explains kindly that this is not bad, considering he and his team are ETC world champions. Knew I knew the name from somewhere.
    Skarbrand Kill Running Total: 8 Gluttons, 2 Leadbelchers, Slaughtermaster, twenty clanrats, about thirty assorted horrors.

I kind of want to play Hallowheart now? AOS has been Mathematically Solved. It was like being run over by a well-oiled machine and being congratulated for some of my blood having sprayed into the driver's eye.

Game Three - Places of Arcane Power vs Orruk Warclans - two Maw-krushas, two units of pigs, two Warchantas
    • The Daemon Prince does basically nothing because they're all so fast.
    • I park a small hero on each of the two flank objectives, and he squashes each of them with a Maw-krusha.
    • If I can kill both the krushas, I can win this, I think - they're such a huge portion of his army. I spend blood tithe points to race my Bloodcrushers into one, and Skarbrand makes a long charge on some pigs in the hope of getting up close to the other.
    • The Bloodcrushers get one down to four wounds with their impact hits. I choose to fight first with them, and they fail to kill it. The pigs then kill skarbrand dead from full wounds. Those are both moments of real bad luck, and while it's a poor workman who blames his dice, there really isn't any coming back after that.

When I started that tally I was really hoping for some more effective kills.

Game Four - Knife To The Heart vs Mawtribes - 3x Stonehorns, 3x 4 Mournfangs
    • My hope is to use my Daemon Prince to pick and choose fights and either punch through or do a sneaky summon onto the other objective late in the game. My Skull Altar is only 12" away, so if he leaves it undefended I can get a really easy win.
    • Daemon Prince and Blood Warriors try and charge one of the units of mournfangs, and between the two of them kill zero models. The prince dies immediately. Great job, folks.
    • The Hexgorger Skulls don't actually do anything this game, but I can use them to screen and manage to successfully freeze one of the stonehorns out of the fight.
    • Skarbrand lines up for a 3" charge on some Mournfangs and rolls a double one, which i re-roll with my last command point. The bloodcrushers are setup for a 6" charge on a stonehorn, which they juuust make - only one of them gets in, so no 6d3 mortal wounds. While the Mournfangs die hard, the bloodcrushers are wiped out.
    • I'm not doing great, especially since my opponent specifically asks me about summoning and I have to admit that the Skull Altar does it. He moves a Stonehorn back onto it. I use Blood Tithe points to charge it with Skarbrand, but Skarbrand is in perfect health so doesn't hit nearly as hard, whiffs entirely, and dies like a chump. Game over.
    Skarbrand Kill Running Total: 8 Gluttons, 2 Leadbelchers, Slaughtermaster, twenty clanrats, about thirty assorted horrors, four mournfangs.

Game Five - Border War vs Mawtribes - 4x Stonehorns, 2x 2 Mournfangs, Slaughtermaster
    • He gives me the first turn, and I screen pretty heavily, getting both border objectives with reavers at a distance - they all get charged and die, though. It definitely comes down to who gets turn two priority, and I roll a 2 - thankfully, he rolls a 1 and I'm laughing.
    • Skarbrand kills two Stonehorns in one combat phase, which is more bloody like it - thanks to two sixes on his Slaughter dice, he in fact deals forty mortal wounds to one.
    • The Bloodcrushers deal ten mortal wounds to another, but only two of them are alive to fight so can't quite finish it off. On the other side of the board, my blood warriors and a pair of mournfangs grind each other into oblivion.
    • Two Stonehorns are still around, and after Skarbrand is killed I can't really do anything to stop them sitting on the objectives and scoring me into oblivion.
    Skarbrand Kill Running Total: 8 Gluttons, 2 Leadbelchers, Slaughtermaster, twenty clanrats, about thirty assorted horrors, four mournfangs, two stonehorns.

And that's it! One win, four losses, two of which were very close - I think for a non-meta list and a tournament novice, that's pretty respectable.

• I should have taken a proper bloodthirster - instead of the prince, instead of skarbrand, or as well as both. Skarbrand needs careful piloting to do his thing, the prince is dependent on enemies wanting to charge without bonuses... just a straightforward heavy hitter would have been better, and could have taken artefacts, general traits, and such.
    • The bloodcrushers were a off-meta pic but honestly a pretty good one - they whiffed a few times due to bad luck, but scored me other objectives, cleared out plenty of chaff.
    • I'm not nearly as anti-magic as other people can be magic. The hexgorger skulls have a 28" range, which isn't enough to get wizards who aren't pushing their deployment, which means I just have a forced re-roll and only two attempts to deny. They're great when in range, but I think probably only really work when my opponent wants to move forward with their magic.
    • I think I'm done with Khorne. I'm not sure they're the style I really want to stick with, I'm looking into something with a bit more range - cities? Shooty stormcast?
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-01-20 at 09:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    And that's it! One win, four losses, two of which were very close - I think for a non-meta list and a tournament novice, that's pretty respectable.
    Not bad, though getting paired against a Facehammer member is bad beats. Sad to see the Skarbrand running total end though. If you want to do a shooty army the answers is Cities or Tzeench. KO, unfortunately have way to many caveats that hamper them into oblivion.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

• I should have taken a proper bloodthirster - instead of the prince, instead of skarbrand, or as well as both. Skarbrand needs careful piloting to do his thing, the prince is dependent on enemies wanting to charge without bonuses... just a straightforward heavy hitter would have been better, and could have taken artefacts, general traits, and such.
    • The bloodcrushers were a off-meta pic but honestly a pretty good one - they whiffed a few times due to bad luck, but scored me other objectives, cleared out plenty of chaff.
    • I'm not nearly as anti-magic as other people can be magic. The hexgorger skulls have a 28" range, which isn't enough to get wizards who aren't pushing their deployment, which means I just have a forced re-roll and only two attempts to deny. They're great when in range, but I think probably only really work when my opponent wants to move forward with their magic.
    • I think I'm done with Khorne. I'm not sure they're the style I really want to stick with, I'm looking into something with a bit more range - cities? Shooty stormcast?
    Nice report! Sounds like some harsh matchups and tough teams, but the games seemed close enough to not be complete shutouts.

Bloodcrushers are better, imo, when taken en masse. I have a friend who plays the battalion with them and it's hard to shut them down when he just runs the entire thing across the board. And I agree about magic - if you can't fully nullify Tzeentch or Hallowheart, it's almost not worth focusing on. The Skulls are still dope though.

If you're looking for shooting, 9mm is right about Cities and Tzeentch, those seem to be the top performers, though they're more "entirely ranged" than "balanced melee/ranged". There's still some bickering about KO though - some people seem to think they're very viable board control shooting, others think they're worthless, but I think if you're interested, wait a month or two for the book to get shaken out. Stormcast have some good shooting options, I have a lot of success with Longstrike Anvils and other people play Ballistas to good effect, and those lists still have some melee teeth. Skaven are another army that can go super powerful at ranged, as you've noticed.

Other armies with a mix of shooting, though still heavily with melee, would include Bonesplitterz, Ogors, certain Sylvaneth builds, Ossiarch Bonereapers (just the catapults but they're great), and Seraphon (Magic and Bastiladons). Even if you want to stay Khorne, splashing some Skull Cannons in can make a good difference in picking off enemy shooting, though they're not super efficient for the points.
    Last edited by Requizen; 2020-01-20 at 12:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I have a bunch of Ogors and the Stormcast Battlebox under my bed ready to be painted, and although I think I've turned on the Ogors enough to get rid of them, I'll probably keep the stormcast around for a little to see how their book turns out (There isn't one rumored, but I'd put money on one happening within six months or so), and it also seems likely Seraphon are soon so worth looking out for them, they have a lot of fun things.

Someone at the event was running about twenty Kurnoth Hunters with bows which is... certainly an option. I love the models, at least.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Once again, bearing in mind that I have little knowledge of AoS outside Cities of Sigmar (I don't even know about Kharadons, and they're [allegedly] good now!), here's the results from CanCon, the one of the biggest AoS (singles) event in the world;

Chaos - 57 lists
    Death - 46 lists
    Destruction - 45 lists
    Order - 76 lists

...With 26 dropouts. For a total of 280.

Largest showings are

Bonereapers (Petrifex) - 18
    Skaventide - 13
    Mawtribes (Bloodgullet) - 9
    Seraphon - 8
    Khorne (Reapers), Nurgle, Gloomspite Gitz and Cities (Hallowheart) - 7

For the 'Mode 5', that's surprisingly little - especially compared to the ****show that is Competitive 40K right now.

All Rounds take place in Ghyran.

Spoiler: 16. Daughters
    Show
    Daughters, Khailebron (Ulgu)
    Morathi; Shroad of Despair
    (G) Bloodwrack Medusa; Mistress of Illusion, Shadowstone, Mindrazor
    Hag Queen; Catechism of Murder
    Hag Queen; Martyr's Sacrifice

Witch Aelves (x20); Pairs of Knives
    Witch Aelves (x30); Knives and Bucklers
    Sisters of Slaughter (x30); Whips and Bucklers
    Khinerai Lifetakers (x10)
    Khinerai Heartrenders (x5)

Shadow Warriors (x10) (Cities of Sigmar)

2000 Points

Only person playing Daughters of Khaine at the entire tournament (n=254).

Spoiler: 15. Khorne
    Show
    Khorne, Reapers of Vengeance (Ghur)
    (G) Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster; Mage Eater, Skullshard Mantle
    Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage; Amberglaive
    Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury; The Crimson Crown
    Bloodsecrator
    Skulltaker
    Slaughterpriest; Killing Frenzy

Flesh Hounds (x5)
    Flesh Hounds (x5)
    Flesh Hounds (x5)
    Flesh Hounds (x5)
    Flesh Hounds (x5)

Murderhost
    Tyrants of Blood

1980 Points | +2 CPs

Spoiler: 14. Deepkin
    Show
    Deepkin, Dhom-Hain
    Volturnos, High King of the Deep
    Isharann Soulscryer; Cloud of Midnight
    Isharann Soulscryer

Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (x3)
    Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (x3)
    Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (x6)
    Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (x3)

Shadow Warriors (x10) (Cities of Sigmar)

2000 Points | +1 CP

13. ???
    '
    Spoiler: 12. Bonereapers
    Show
    Bonereapers, Petrifex
    (G) Liege-Kavalos; Mighty Archaeossian, Godbone Armour
    Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead

Mortrek Guard (x30); Blades and Shields, Greatblades (x3)
    Mortrek Guard (x20); Blades and Shields, Greatblades (x2)
    Mortrek Guard (x10); Blades and Shields, Greatblade

Endless Spells
    Bone-Tithe Shrieker
    Purple Sun of Shyish
    Nightmare Predator

1980 Points

Spoiler: 11. Cities
    Show
    Cities, Hammerhal
    (G) Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix; Blood of the Twelve, The Twinstone
    Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage; Wings of Fire
    Battlemage; Wings of Fire, [Ghur]

Celestant-Prime (Stormcast Eternals)

Freeguild Handgunners (x10); Honoured Retinue
    Freeguild Handgunners (x10)
    Phoenix Guard (x30)

Shadow Warriors (x10)
    Shadow Warriors (x10)

Endless Spells
    Soulscream Bridge

2000 Points | +1 CP

Remembering that Cities Battlemages can just pick which Realm they're from. Which is a decent buff when you go into the tournament knowing that every single game is in Ghur.

Spoiler: 10. Fyreslayers
    Show
    Fyreslayers, Hermdar (Shyish)
    (G) Auric Runefather; Warrior Indominate, Tyrant Slayer
    Auric Runemaster
    Battlesmith; The Nulsidian Icon
    Auric Runesmiter; Forge Key

Hearthguard Berzerkers (x20); Broadaxes
    Hearthguard Berzerkers (x20); Poleaxes
    Vulkite Berzerkers (x30); Picks & Shields
    Auric Hearthguard (x5)

Lords of the Lodge

Endless Spells
    Runic Fyrewall

2000 Points | +1 CP

Spoiler: 9. Ironjawz
    Show
    Ironjawz, Ironsunz (Hysh)
    (G) Megaboss on Maw-Krusha; Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth Fist, Right Fist of Dakkbad, Sunblessed Armour, Mean 'Un
    Warchanter; Killa Beat
    Warchanter; Killa Beat
    Weirdnob Shame; Aetherquartz Brooch, Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork ...Did GW honestly name a unit 'Weirdnob'? Surely that's taking the piss?

Orruk Ardboys (x15); Banner & Glyph
    Orruk Brutes (x10); Gore-Hakkas, Gore Choppas (x2)
    Orruk Gore-Gruntas (x6); Pig-Iron Choppas

Ironfist

1960 Points | +1 CP

Spoiler: 8. Cities
    Show
    Anvilgard (Aqshy)
    Black Market Bounty

(G) Dreadlord on Black Dragon; Exile Blade & Shield, Blackfang Crimelord (Sorcery), Venomfang Blade, Jutting Bones
    Dreadlord on Black Dragon; Lance of Spite & Shield, Acidic Blood
    Sorceress on Black Dragon; Witch Rod, Drakescale Cloak, Vitrolic Spray
    Knight-Azyros (Stormcast Eternals)

Drakespawn Chariot
    Drakespawn Chariot
    Drakespawn Chariot
    Drakespawn Knights (x15)
    Scourgerunner Chariots (x3)
    Scourgerunner Chariots (x3)

Endless Spells
    Malevolent Maelstrom

2000 Points

It's disappointing (to me) to see a mono-Faction Cities list. But, if you are going to play mono-Faction, then Anvilgard Dark Elves is the way to do it, I guess. Only because Anvilgard literally asks you 'Yo, where's all your Dark Elves at?'.

Spoiler: 7. Cities
    Show
    Cites, Hallowheart (Aqshy)
    (G) Anointed; Warden of the Flame, Thermalrider Cloak
    Sorceress; Roaming Wildfire, Warding Brand, General's Adjutant
    Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage; Elemental Cyclone, Sear Wounds
    Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage; Crystal Aegis, Ignite Weapons

Phoenix Guard (x30)
    Darkshards (x10); Honoured Retinue
    Darkshards (x10)

Gyrocopters (x3)

Shadow Warriors (x10)
    Shadow Warriors (x10)
    Sisters of the Thorn (x5); Warding Brand, Roaming Wildfire

Endless Spells
    Prismatic Palisade
    Geminids of Uhl-Gysh

1980 Points

You don't play 'Elves'. You play Cities of Sigmar, now. Which means jamming in Wizard Wagons and Gyrocopters.

Spoiler: 6. Tzeentch
    Show
    Tzeentch, Host Duplicitous
    Archaon the Everchosen; Infusion Arcanum ...**** yeah.
    Chaos Sorcerer Lord; Brand of the Sprit Daemon, Bolt of Tzeentch
    Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch; Fold Reality
    (G) Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch; Will of the Phantom Lord, Glimpse the Future

Chaos Marauders (x20); Axes & Shields
    Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (x10)
    Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (x10)

Endless Spells
    Balewind Vortex
    Darkfire Daemonrift
    Purple Sun of Shyish

2000 Points

Spoiler: 5. Tzeentch
    Show
    Tzeentch, Guild of Summoners
    Gaunt Summoner; Aspect of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch
    (G) Magister on Disc of Tzeentch; Prophet of the Ostensible, Arcane Suggestion
    Orgroid Thaumaturge; Infusion Arcanum
    The Changeling; Unchecked Mutation
    Tzaangor Shaman; Brimstone Familiar, Shield of Fate
    Magister; Glimpse the Future

Kairic Acolytes (x10); Blades & Shields, Cursed Glaives (x3)
    Kairic Acolytes (x10); Blades & Shields, Cursed Glaives (x3)
    Tzaangors (x10); Blades (x5), Greatblades (x4), Blade and Shield

Tzaangor Englightened on Discs (x3)
    Tzaangor Skyfires (x3)

Arcanite Cabal

Endless Spells
    Balewind Vortex
    Burning Sigil of Tzeentch
    Tome of Eyes
    Daemonic Simulacrum

1980 Points | +1 CP

Spoiler: 4. Big Waaagh!
    Show
    (G) Orruk Megaboss; Brutish Cunning
    Maniak Weirdnob; Breath of Gorkamorka
    Orruk Warchanter; Fixin' Beat
    Wardokk; Kunnin' Beast Spirits
    Wardokk; Kunnin' Beast Spirits, Mork's Boney Bitz

Savage Orruk Arrowboys (x30)
    Savage Orruks (x30); Stikkas
    Orkk Gore-Grunters (x6); Pig-Iron Choppas

Rogue Idol

2000 Points

Spoiler: 3. Fyreslayers
    Show
    Hermdar (Hysh)
    (G) Auric Runemaster; Warrior Indominate, Prayer of Ash, Aetherquartz Brooch
    Auric Runefather; Tyrant Slayer
    Auric Runesmiter; Runic Iron, Ember Storm
    Battlesmith; The Nulsidian Icon

Auric Hearthguard (x5)
    Auric Hearthguard (x5)
    Auric Hearthguard (x5)
    Hearthguard Berzerkers (x20); Broadaxes
    Hearthguard Berzerkers (x20); Poleaxes

Lords of the Lodge
    Forge Brethren

Endless Spells
    Runic Fyrewall

1980 Points | +2 CPs.

Spoiler: 2. Bonereapers
    Show
    Petrifax

Kavalos Deathriders (x15); Blade & Shield
    Kavalos Deathriders (x5); Blade & Shield

Endless Spells
    Bone-Tithe Shrieker
    Emerald Lifeswarm

2000 Points

I'm sure somebody's going to tell me that Deathriders are b0rked, and this list makes total sense?

Spoiler: 1. Tzeentch
    Show
    Eternal Conflagration
    Lord of Change; Rod of Sorcery, Coruscating Flames, Shroud of Warpflame, Tzeentch's Firestorm
    Fatemaster
    Gaunt Summoner on Disc of Tzeentch; Arcane Suggestion, Aura of Mutability
    The Blue Scribes; Fold Reality
    Fatecaster, Herald of Tzeentch; Staff of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch
    Changeling; Treason of Tzeentch

Pink Horrors (x10)
    Brimstone Horrors (x10)
    Brimstone Horrors (x10)
    Flamers (x3)
    Flamers (x3)

Changehost

Endless Spells
    Emerald Lifeswarm
    Aethervoid Pendulum
    Darkfire Daemonrift

2000 Points | +1 CP
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

And since it's not 40k, here's the other thing I've been painting. It's an old model, for an army that technically no longer exists, but dammit I love my Egyptian skeletons and GW can't stop me.

Spoiler
    Show
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

That looks fantastic, Destro! I agree that the Tomb Kings were one of the best-looking armies. The bronze and blue play off each other really well - there's a lapis lazuli look to the cloak that I think fits in very well. Is the staff going to stay black?

Also, for games that keep in the Egyptian aesthetic, I've been a fan of Wargods of Aegyptus for a long time. Despite not really having an active player-base in my area (or, looking online, really anywhere) the company is still putting out new stuff. It might be worth a look.

-----------

I played my first few games of Warcry this week, using my Splintered Fang warband against Iron Golems. We were both playing for the first time and really loved it. It had some surprisingly interesting maneuvering challenges, and because SF have a lot of 2-inch and 3-inch weapons, there were a lot of fun moments of measuring distance from fighters to objectives to other fighters and similar. It gave us the kind of cinematic experience we got from playing Infinity, but the barrier to entry (in terms of rule density) was much lower. Plus, my warband is exactly 1000 points right out of the box - it's a pretty good deal for a starter set.

The first mission was giving one of my characters a bit of treasure and he had to grab it by the third battle round. Unfortunately for him, I was able to keep well out of range of his fairly slow-moving warriors. The second mission was more in his favor, objective-capturing. It was really touch-and-go, but I eked out a victory in the last round. We both had a lot of fun.

As a fan of reptiles, gladiators, and the color green, I think Splintered Fang will be my go-to warband. Their mobility matches my preferred play-style, and their native double ability (count the strength as higher than the opponents toughness until the end of the activation) came in useful against the Iron Golems on multiple occasions. That said, I'm interested in trying out my Corvus Cabal warband next time we play. On the whole they're a bit more fragile but a lot more maneuverable, so we'll see how it goes. His second warband is the Spire Tyrants, about which I know very little.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post
    That looks fantastic, Destro! I agree that the Tomb Kings were one of the best-looking armies. The bronze and blue play off each other really well - there's a lapis lazuli look to the cloak that I think fits in very well. Is the staff going to stay black?
    Main body of the staff is staying black, but the snake on top, and the two snakes on her arms, are getting painted bright green. I've noticed that a lot of people paint them as coral snakes, probably for the vibrant pattern, but those are native to North America and it bothers me. So, green it is. All the Egyptian snakes are mottled brown, which wouldn't show up well against the bandages.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

19. - Top - End - #79

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Once again, bearing in mind that I have little knowledge of AoS outside Cities of Sigmar (I don't even know about Kharadons, and they're [allegedly] good now!), here's the results from CanCon, the one of the biggest AoS (singles) event in the world;

Chaos - 57 lists
    Death - 46 lists
    Destruction - 45 lists
    Order - 76 lists

...With 26 dropouts. For a total of 280.

Largest showings are

Bonereapers (Petrifex) - 18
    Skaventide - 13
    Mawtribes (Bloodgullet) - 9
    Seraphon - 8
    Khorne (Reapers), Nurgle, Gloomspite Gitz and Cities (Hallowheart) - 7

For the 'Mode 5', that's surprisingly little - especially compared to the ****show that is Competitive 40K right now.

All Rounds take place in Ghyran.
    1980 Points | +2 CPs.[/spoiler]

Spoiler: 2. Bonereapers
    Show
    Petrifax

Kavalos Deathriders (x15); Blade & Shield

Endless Spells
    Bone-Tithe Shrieker
    Emerald Lifeswarm

2000 Points

I'm sure somebody's going to tell me that Deathriders are b0rked, and this list makes total sense?

The borked thing here is Petrifex Elite, the subfaction which gives +1 to saves armywide, +2 wounds to the general, ingore the first wound each turn as an artefact, and a Command Ability that gives -1 rend because somebody thought this was balanced? And yes, this means you can get 2+ save Nagash. Don't expect to see anything except Petrifex anywhere for the reapers. Unless they go for the Crematorians meme list.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That's a pretty reasonable spread from CanCon. Petri-gash lists are good, but they do have their own set of issues (if you clear the units, Nagash can't out-score by himself, for example), so even that isn't completely borked. Petrifex giving +1 saves across the board is strong, but not unbeatable. It's strong because it's outside the main meta of the game, no one really list builds for 3+ chumps, but now everyone I talk to is discussing horde-killing spells or endless spells, or high amount of Rend-2 attacks to chew through them.

New Changehost is scary, but it's not unbeatable. Tzeentch units deal ok damage, but they're not tabling on turn 1 like other armies, and if you have good dispels their big abilities (Daemonfire Rift being the big one) can get shut down. Anything that can hunt down the Heroes should make pretty short work of the list, so #shootingmeta?

ION, 3 tournaments down with my Bonesplitterz after this weekend. 4-1, 4-1, 4-0-1 (technically 5-0, but counting one as a draw since it was a wacky narrative mission and not entirely indicative). Turns out, 90 bodies with 2 wounds and a shrug save will generally make anyone struggle to clear them off, and the Rogue Idol is just a punching powerhouse.

I talked with some people about using the Big Waaagh Allegiance instead of Bonesplitterz, though losing turn 1 Warpaint is pretty rough. I'm hoping to try it at a one-day before Adepticon to see if I want to swap it up, but it's a bit close at this point.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    The borked thing here is Petrifex Elite, the subfaction which gives +1 to saves armywide, +2 wounds to the general, ingore the first wound each turn as an artefact, and a Command Ability that gives -1 rend because somebody thought this was balanced? And yes, this means you can get 2+ save Nagash. Don't expect to see anything except Petrifex anywhere for the reapers. Unless they go for the Crematorians meme list.
    its funny because in between can con and now, Reapers, including petrifex, is now just a noobstomper gate keeper army. Petty much every meta army turns the +1 save into decrease rend by 1, and the trick behind Nagash+deathriders is out (protection of nagash is hilarious, ignore nagash); and since Bonereapers can do damn near nothing to Tzeench, you get to play dreamkiller and that is about it.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

I'm currently deciding on my next army between Living City, Lumineth, and Seraphon, and although I obviously can't make too many guesses about the latter two, I'm drafting up some fun Living City lists. How does this look?

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
    - City: Living City
    Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
    Spirit of Durthu (300)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Ironoak Artisan
    - Artefact: Spear of the Hunt
    Drycha Hamadreth (320)
    Battlemage (90)
    Battlemage (90)

Battleline
    20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
    10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
    - Halberds and Shields

Units
    10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
    5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)

Behemoths
    Celestial Hurricanum (220)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Emerald Lifeswarm (50)
    Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1950 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 123

The basic mechanic is that Durthu and Drycha use the Hidden Paths ability to appear from a board edge, and can spend command points to shoot and charge. Durthu has +1 to wound, +1 save, and an extra -1 rend on his spear, meaning that his 3" charge allows him to go first and makes him an absolute combat monster. I can either castle the handgunners around the hurricanum for +1 to hit, or send them on the Hidden Paths - they can shoot to full effect after arriving, then move onto the newly vacated objective.

I've got 50 points left: I could swap a battlemage for more sisters of the thorn, or pick up some endless spells, or mount a wizard on the hurricanum and drop a battlemage for both a spell and some sisters.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry I cannot comment on the list, LeSwordfish, I don't have the Cities book. I'll be picking up the new Seraphon battletome when it drops in stores, so perhaps it would be fun to workshop some lists together!

-----------

Yesterday our gaming group met and played Triumph and Treachery (the four-player variant) match of Warcry. It was myself and Tau!Friend, with whom I share the wargaming hobby, and two friends with whom we play board games but haven't gotten into miniatures (yet!). Tau!Friend and I each have two gangs, and so the games was Corvus Cabal (me), Splintered Fang, Spire Tyrants (Tau!Friend) and Iron Golems.

The mission was Number 6, where you score a point at the end of the round for holding the treasure. My secret objective was to clear the center, Splintered Fang was to keep his bloodmarked unit (one of the Venombloods) alive, Spire Tyrants was to kill all other warbands, and Iron Golems to secure the southwest sector of the board. Our deployment map was the first of the three, with Shields starting on the board, Daggers coming in turn two, and hammers turn three.

I don't know Iron Golems or Spire Tyrants well enough to say, but Splintered Fang shield was mostly Clearbloods, Serpent Caller, and the snake base, whereas mine was the Shadow Piercer, two Cabalists with Spear, and a Spire Stalker. My Shrike Talon and another Spire Stalker dropped turn two, and the rest of my Cabalists (with Familiar) dropped Turn 3. They ended up coming in very useful by the end of the game.

First turn was just getting everyone into position. Splintered Fang won the roll to pick up the treasure, but had deployed just out of range for a single movement action. First round, initiative went to Iron Golems.

At the end of the first round, both my Shadow Piercer and Spire Stalker were within 1 inch of the treasure box, as were one of the Splintered Fang's Clearbloods. My cabalists were hugging the center and poked ineffectually at the IG. On one side of the board, Spire Tyrants and Splintered Fang were getting into a tussle.

Round 2, Splintered Fang won initiative and I thought for sure I was cooked - but instead of grabbing the treasure he decided to lay into the Spire Tyrant's leader, getting him down to only 2 wounds. Well done, but that lost him the game. Spire Tyrants were next, and rather than move his Beastman to the treasure and grab the artifact, he activated his leader to put out some hurt before he was killed. IG went next, and having had to deploy on the opposite corner from the Splintered Fang, were the furthest from the treasure. So, despite activating last, I was able to pick up the treasure with my Shadow Piercer and burned two doubles to give her an extra inch of movement and ignore vertical movement, which let her get safely behind cover to the board edge. From there she was safe. The rest of the round was consumed in petty combats.

Last Round was tense, but my last cabalists came in in a way that let me deploy them around the terrain so that no one could reach my leader without becoming engaged. The Raven Familiar came in super useful - the Ogor Breacher was stuck in combat with the Shrike Talon, a Spire Stalker, and my leader, so I used a triple to not allow it to disengage and that left it unable to chase after my leader.

Splintered Fang was able to score his secret objective, but IG and I had accidentally goofed up each others. Tau!Friend's leader died first round, so he was out of luck there. Final score, 2:1:0:0 to my favor.

Well, I had a lot of fun, and so did everyone else. Spire Tyrants and Iron Golems are both very slow, and it was unfortunate that the two fastest warbands happened to be the closest to the treasure. I liked the narrative of the Corvus Cabal stealthing into a three-way brawl, stealing the treasure from out of their noses, and running away like the cowards they are, leaving the three martial warbands to hack it out.

Tau!Friend was frustrated with the Spire Tyrants' performance. We speculated that because they came out after the Monsters and Mercenaries book, they were meant to be allied in. I think they could have had a lot more luck if they had run the roll to set up the treasure, and he also picked one of the more difficult secret objectives.

Here's some photos from the game:
    http://imgur.com/a/6GdOwtB
    How great to Tau!Friend's Iron Golems and Spire Tyrants look?

Still really loving Warcry. It's a fun, and importantly quick, game, and has the kind of positioning challenges on a scale that is very accessible for new players, one of which had never played a wargame before (other than a five-way game of X-Wing three or four years ago).

If anyone's into it, I've started a Warcry painting log on DakkaDakka: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/786090.page Having some fun with the starter kit for Splintered Fang.
    Last edited by Don Qui Ho Tep; 2020-03-05 at 08:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm drafting up some fun Living City lists. How does this look?

Handgunners - or Crossbowmen - aren't really that good unless you've got the Freeguild General to go with them. Personally, I'd go with the ranged unit that doesn't need help; Darkshards.

10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
    [I]- Halberds and Shields
    Same, here.

5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)
    These are two top-tier choices in the book. I don't think you need two units of Shadow Warriors, one should be plenty. But, if your Handgunners aren't being mobile, I can see why you'd need two units.

Celestial Hurricanum (220)
    No Battlemage? Sad. But it depends on the kinds of Battlemages you already have - since that isn't listed.

I've got 50 points left: I could swap a battlemage for more sisters of the thorn, or pick up some endless spells, or mount a wizard on the hurricanum and drop a battlemage for both a spell and some sisters.
    I strongly think you should switch a Battlemage, to put one on the Hurricanum. You definitely don't need more Sisters of the Thorn. One unit is plenty.

EDIT: Speaking of, here's what I'm looking at.

Cities, Hallowheart, Aqshy
    Battlemage on Griffon - 300 Points <WR>
    Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage - 280 Points <WR>
    Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage - 270 Points <WR>
    Sorceress on Black Dragon - 300 Points <WR>

Darkshards (x10) - 100 Points

Sisters of the Thorn (x5) - 160 Points
    Evocators on Celestial Dracolines (x3) - 360 Points (Stormcasts)

Whitefire Retinue - 140 Points
    Emerald Lifeswarm - 50 Points
    +1 CP - 50 Points

1940 Points

I'm sorely disappointed that I can't fit Shadow Warriors in the list.
    I can't tell if this list will make me all the friends, or if I will hand out free wins.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-03-06 at 09:01 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This discussion on Cities makes me realize there are a bunch of units in the book and I have little to no idea what most of them do. No one book needs like 5 units that are "shooty horde, but slightly different" haha

I have spent some time with the allegiance abilities, and I think Hallowheart is like one of the most secret OP allegiances in the game. Insane casting in a book that has good troops and can ally with a bunch of good armies? Cheese, the only thing I'd change about your list is trying to get even more Endless Spells in, Purple Sun is solid now at 50 points and everyone taking hordes, for instance. Really buggers up OBR for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post
    Here's some photos from the game:
    http://imgur.com/a/6GdOwtB
    How great to Tau!Friend's Iron Golems and Spire Tyrants look?

Still really loving Warcry. It's a fun, and importantly quick, game, and has the kind of positioning challenges on a scale that is very accessible for new players, one of which had never played a wargame before (other than a five-way game of X-Wing three or four years ago).

If anyone's into it, I've started a Warcry painting log on DakkaDakka: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/786090.page Having some fun with the starter kit for Splintered Fang.
    Glad you're liking Warcry! At our local, it's one of the more popular games - less time to play than AoS and less cutthroat than Underworlds, makes it great for game night. Personally I like the other two more (I enjoy the complexity of both), but I still love Warcry enough to own all warbands and faction cards.

In fact, given that we're expecting our first kid, Warcry might actually jump above AoS in my hobby focus. Smaller warbands to build and paint, shorter games so I'm not out as much, and easy to play at home on the table or floor makes it much more viable than full AoS. I'm planning on going full hog and making a warband for each faction that has cards, which will be a great hobby goal and also a pretty light one overall.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    I have spent some time with the allegiance abilities, and I think Hallowheart is like one of the most secret OP allegiances in the game.
    In the game? ...I wouldn't know. But it's definitely the best Allegiance in the book. And the great thing about Cities is how each Allegiance is pretty much an entirely new army. So you can run several competitive builds from the same book.

Cheese, the only thing I'd change about your list is trying to get even more Endless Spells in, Purple Sun is solid now at 50 points and everyone taking hordes
    At 1940 Points, I'm real stupid. For some reason, when I was writing the list, I was like "I can only take one Endless Spell." I know that that's not true. But, I guess I brainfarted.

I'm real impressed with Celestial Dracolines. I wanted to pick up Astreia Solbright, too. Since she's Easy-to-Build and therefore cheap. But I went with the Sorceress on Dragon, instead. Especially since I'm running Darkshards and there's no reason not to run a Sorceress if you've got the Darkshards to fuel Endless Spells.

Sorceresses - on or off a Dragon - is one of the best units in the book. Rocking +3 to cast Endless Spells, that are always Empowered, very brutal.

Glad you're liking Warcry!
    My meta is very much picking up WarCry. Basically, at this point, my meta is playing anything except 40K.
    Kill Team and WarCry are massively picking up steam, whilst Age of Sigmar is really the only 'big' game that people play, now. Somehow, I don't think the nerf to Combat Doctrines was enough to dissuade people that Space Marines - any colour - aren't broken, like, in general.

In fact, given that we're expecting our first kid
    Hooray!
    I hope.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-03-06 at 10:22 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm real impressed with Celestial Dracolines. I wanted to pick up Astreia Solbright, too. Since she's Easy-to-Build and therefore cheap. But I went with the Sorceress on Dragon, instead. Especially since I'm running Darkshards and there's no reason not to run a Sorceress if you've got the Darkshards to fuel Endless Spells.
    Hm yeah, having a Hero to go with the Evocators boosts their power quite a bit. They're a reasonable hunting unit by themselves, but if you really invest and go Dracoline Hero + 6 Dracovators, you're looking at a power unit that will mess up anyone's day. But that's a significant rewrite of the list, of course.

Sorceresses - on or off a Dragon - is one of the best units in the book. Rocking +3 to cast Endless Spells, that are always Empowered, very brutal.
    Endless Spells, and moreso when you can reliably cast them, have a very serious impact on the board, especially against opponents who are trying to push double turns. Throwing out a Purple Sun or Pendulum on bottom of 1, winning the roll off, and then choosing to not take the double in order to deal more damage is such a power move.

My meta is very much picking up WarCry. Basically, at this point, my meta is playing anything except 40K.
    Kill Team and WarCry are massively picking up steam, whilst Age of Sigmar is really the only 'big' game that people play, now. Somehow, I don't think the nerf to Combat Doctrines was enough to dissuade people that Space Marines - any colour - aren't broken, like, in general.
    Kill Team kind of died out around this area, it's mostly used like "Oh you're looking to get into 40k models? Here's a small scale game to play with them". Few people are playing it "competitively" or anything like that. I've used both it and Warcry as intro games for pen and paper or board game friends who are interested in miniatures to good effect.

I've seen a good number of people making the 40k -> AoS transition as well. 40k's shooting insanity, Stratagem bloat, and crazy competitive meta has turned a lot of people off. AoS can get competitive, but there are few armies in the game (if any, right now at least) that you roll up to and just feel helpless against, even if you're not netlisting.
    I also think the heavier focus on movement, positioning, and melee has a better feel overall than just squatting an objective and playing rocket tag while your one deathstar unit runs around killing things, but that's a bit more personal preference on my part.

Hooray!
    I hope.
    Thanks! We're very excited, but my hobby time is crying in the corner. Hopefully I can at least get a couple hours per week to put down some paint or something.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

[QUOTE=Requizen;24387522
    I have spent some time with the allegiance abilities, and I think Hallowheart is like one of the most secret OP allegiances in the game.
    [/QUOTE]

While its true most are focused on Tempest Eye, Hallowheart is damn good.

Good News: I finally beat a Tzeench list.
    Bad News: dude wasn't playing the mission at all.

But I know when Petrifex inevitably gets nerfed I can switch to the Lords easily.

29. - Top - End - #89

Beholder

Handgunners - or Crossbowmen - aren't really that good unless you've got the Freeguild General to go with them. Personally, I'd go with the ranged unit that doesn't need help; Darkshards.

Same, here.

These are two top-tier choices in the book. I don't think you need two units of Shadow Warriors, one should be plenty. But, if your Handgunners aren't being mobile, I can see why you'd need two units.

No Battlemage? Sad. But it depends on the kinds of Battlemages you already have - since that isn't listed.

I strongly think you should switch a Battlemage, to put one on the Hurricanum. You definitely don't need more Sisters of the Thorn. One unit is plenty.

EDIT: Speaking of, here's what I'm looking at.

Cities, Hallowheart, Aqshy
    Battlemage on Griffon - 300 Points <WR>
    Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage - 280 Points <WR>
    Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage - 270 Points <WR>
    Sorceress on Black Dragon - 300 Points <WR>

Sisters of the Thorn (x5) - 160 Points
    Evocators on Celestial Dracolines (x3) - 360 Points (Stormcasts)

Whitefire Retinue - 140 Points
    Emerald Lifeswarm - 50 Points
    +1 CP - 50 Points

1940 Points

I'm sorely disappointed that I can't fit Shadow Warriors in the list.
    I can't tell if this list will make me all the friends, or if I will hand out free wins.
    I quite like the list. How are the Evocators treating you? I kinda like the minis.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth, I have a friend who regularly runs a block of six Evocators on Dracolines backed up by a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline and does not rate them especially highly (though he uses them in an all-SCE list).