New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Age Of Sigmar II: I Can't Believe It's Not Magic!

The difference between shields & knives isn't that big, but when you wipe an enemy that charges you with shield parries you feel good. But if you want all with knives for that large number of attacks then there is nothing wrong with it.

You'll be surprised how good that 6" range on being able to pile in and attack combined with 2" melee is. There are some tricks you can avoid by skipping the charge phase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post
    I've always admired Blood Bowl from afar. Do you have a local league you think you could join?
    I'll ask around when this is all over. I know there's some grogs who play with the old old sets and have been playing for decades, but my normal group said they'd be down for anything once we finally get to play games together again.

I think I'm gonna order the Lizards, so I'll end up with 4 pretty different teams and can play a good amount of variety. Not sure if how much to go into getting extra players or anything like that, though.

Blood Bowl is fascinating to me. Especially as a fan of esports, it's interesting since only a few games have really withstood the test of time (Brood War, Smash Melee, Counterstrike), and seeing Blood Bowl be basically unchanged for 20 years or so (only minor changes with LRB) gives off similar vibes, though obviously it's not a "competitively balanced" game in the same way. Some games just have that je ne sais quoi that keeps a community invested for a lifetime even after official support basically goes away. And GW has been really good about coming back in and not changing much to preserve that legacy from what I've seen.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    The difference between shields & knives isn't that big, but when you wipe an enemy that charges you with shield parries you feel good. But if you want all with knives for that large number of attacks then there is nothing wrong with it.

You'll be surprised how good that 6" range on being able to pile in and attack combined with 2" melee is. There are some tricks you can avoid by skipping the charge phase.
    Yeah, the range seems like a big deal for actually getting your attacks off. Melee hordes with 1'' range have a hard time, since most of your guys are wasted, especially if you face a small unit/hero. Case in point, I recently played a match with my stormcasts vs. another stormcast player with a huge blob of sequitors. I managed to negate them for most of the game by charging one end with my fulminators. He only ever had 5 guys or so fighting out of 30; even once they managed to pile in only so many could get in range.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lumineth Realmlords get some previews. I'm not sure hammers and elves really go together the way they want us to think that they do, but the armor looks nice - and the stated intention is to redefine what you think of as an elf army, so there you go. I think that of the new cowgods, the one with the large hammer works better - in this instance, being a double-kit kind of did a disservice to the more active of the two poses, I think. Doublehammer cow looks a bit caught in the headlights.

I really love the new Scions of the Flame warband. I think they're distinct from the other warbands and reference certain real-world aesthetics while still combining them in interesting ways to make something new. No idea for abilities other than a possible Double to let them throw some fire, like Raven Dart or Iron Bolas. But probably no use speculating, eh?
    Check out my miniature painting log! Trying to update weekly.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lumineth Realmlords get some previews. I'm not sure hammers and elves really go together the way they want us to think that they do, but the armor looks nice - and the stated intention is to redefine what you think of as an elf army, so there you go. I think that of the new cowgods, the one with the large hammer works better - in this instance, being a double-kit kind of did a disservice to the more active of the two poses, I think. Doublehammer cow looks a bit caught in the headlights.

I really love the new Scions of the Flame warband. I think they're distinct from the other warbands and reference certain real-world aesthetics while still combining them in interesting ways to make something new. No idea for abilities other than a possible Double to let them throw some fire, like Raven Dart or Iron Bolas. But probably no use speculating, eh?
    Scions look so, so cool. Top 3 Warcry warband for me, can't wait to get them put together and on the table. The sword dude and mage lady are both aces.

I'm fine on the Aelves. They're cool enough that I'll admire the models, but not so much that I want to rush out and buy them. The expanding lore of civil war on Hysh and Realm Spirits going to battle is the coolest part to me, though, can't wait to see that explored some more.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

The elf helmets look so, so dumb. I'm really not a fan of the 'enormous sweeping curvy horn' thing they've got going with so many of the miniatures. It looks stupid on Teclis, and doubling down on it doesn't make it look any less stupid.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

7. - Top - End - #157

Beholder

Scions of Flame are amazing.

I do like the Divine Bovines. They're fun in an over the top way. Doesn't sell me on the army however.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah: I like the cows, but they've solidified for me that Lumineth aren't an army I'm interested in. I'm also really not into the helmets- how many aelves do they lose each battle to swinging those hammers back, getting them caugh in the horns, and neatly snapping their own necks?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

My wife has pointed out that the divine bovine is, in fact, a Holy Cow.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #160

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    My wife has pointed out that the divine bovine is, in fact, a Holy Cow.
    GW management: I want something for this range that makes them say ‘Holy cow!’ on seeing it.

Designers: ok then...
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I've realized that I have enough models to make a 2000 point Seraphon list. Being new to AoS in general, happy for any feedback as to what roles I might be missing.

Spoiler: 2000 Seraphon
    Show

Seraphon - Coalesced, Koatl's Claw

Warscroll Batallion
    Shadowstrike Temple-Host
    Skink Starpriest
    -Tide of Serpents

Skinks x 20
    -Boltspitter, Celestite Dagger, Star-buckler

Chameleon Skinks x 5

Terradon Riders x 3
    -Sunleech Bolas

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (General)
    -Great Rememberer
    -Ixtli Grubs
    -Walk Between Realms

Saurus Oldblood
    -Celestite Greatblade

Saurus Astrolith Bearer

Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    -Eviscerating Blade

Skink Starseer
    -Hand of Glory

Behemoth
    Bastilidon
    -Solar Engine

Battleline
    Saurus Knights x 5
    -Celestite Blade

Saurus Warriors x 20
    -Celestite Spears

Scenery
    Realmgate Engine

1930 pts
    2 command points

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So I've realized that I have enough models to make a 2000 point Seraphon list. Being new to AoS in general, happy for any feedback as to what roles I might be missing.

Spoiler: 2000 Seraphon
    Show

Seraphon - Coalesced, Koatl's Claw

Warscroll Batallion
    Shadowstrike Temple-Host
    Skink Starpriest
    -Tide of Serpents

Skinks x 20
    -Boltspitter, Celestite Dagger, Star-buckler

Chameleon Skinks x 5

Terradon Riders x 3
    -Sunleech Bolas

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (General)
    -Great Rememberer
    -Ixtli Grubs
    -Walk Between Realms

Saurus Oldblood
    -Celestite Greatblade

Saurus Astrolith Bearer

Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    -Eviscerating Blade

Skink Starseer
    -Hand of Glory

Behemoth
    Bastilidon
    -Solar Engine

Battleline
    Saurus Knights x 5
    -Celestite Blade

Saurus Warriors x 20
    -Celestite Spears

Scenery
    Realmgate Engine

1930 pts
    2 command points
    You can't buy more than 1 Command Point anymore, unless one of those were from the Battalion, in which case looking good. If you don't have any other models, I think it looks fine other than you don't seem to have the extra Artifact the Battalion gives you. The Skink ones are alright, I wouldn't recommend the Saurus artifacts unless you want to give the Carnosaur a Realm Artifact to keep it healthy like Ignax Scales or Gryph-Feather Charm.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    You can't buy more than 1 Command Point anymore, unless one of those were from the Battalion, in which case looking good. If you don't have any other models, I think it looks fine other than you don't seem to have the extra Artifact the Battalion gives you. The Skink ones are alright, I wouldn't recommend the Saurus artifacts unless you want to give the Carnosaur a Realm Artifact to keep it healthy like Ignax Scales or Gryph-Feather Charm.
    Thanks! Yeah, the extra command point is from the battalion. I gave the extra artifact to the Scar-Veteran ~ I have to take the Koatl's Claw artifact, the Eviscerating Blade (any unmodified hit roll of 6 deals two mortal wounds in addition to other damage), so unfortunately I don't have a lot of room to maneuver, there.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thanks! Yeah, the extra command point is from the battalion. I gave the extra artifact to the Scar-Veteran ~ I have to take the Koatl's Claw artifact, the Eviscerating Blade (any unmodified hit roll of 6 deals two mortal wounds in addition to other damage), so unfortunately I don't have a lot of room to maneuver, there.
    Ah right, forgot that that was from the subfaction. Then yeah, it's looking good. Down in points, you could easily throw in an Endless Spell or clear up some space for an Ally, but if that's what you've got on hand, I'm betting you'll do alright in the long run even if it's not "optimal". Koatl's Claw is a pretty good pick for the collection you have, or at least the best of the subfactions, I'm not sure if it's better than no Constellation.

Good enough to start playing, though! Maybe once we're no longer all locked away

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah right, forgot that that was from the subfaction. Then yeah, it's looking good. Down in points, you could easily throw in an Endless Spell or clear up some space for an Ally, but if that's what you've got on hand, I'm betting you'll do alright in the long run even if it's not "optimal". Koatl's Claw is a pretty good pick for the collection you have, or at least the best of the subfactions, I'm not sure if it's better than no Constellation.

Good enough to start playing, though! Maybe once we're no longer all locked away
    I appreciate the advice! Yeah, it might be a while before I actually get a game in. >.< Tabletop Simulator only goes so far. I think I'll see if my roommate wants to learn Warcry.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I appreciate the advice! Yeah, it might be a while before I actually get a game in. >.< Tabletop Simulator only goes so far. I think I'll see if my roommate wants to learn Warcry.
    I've tried in vain to convince my wife to play games with me, so I'm down to playing by myself. Blackstone Fortress is actually designed to play solo if you're a sad loner like me, but Blood Bowl and Warcry just aren't the same (and Underworlds is basically pointless with open hands).

17. - Top - End - #167

Beholder

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-1/

The Lumineth will apparently get a sister-like box of some starting unit, cards, dice and their battletome. I bet it will sell out in 4 seconds.

More importantly, there is a Giant army on the horizon!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Lumineth will apparently get a sister-like box of some starting unit, cards, dice and their battletome. I bet it will sell out in 4 seconds.

More importantly, there is a Giant army on the horizon!
    Giants soon!

And that Treeman looks pretty cool. I have 6 unfinished Blood Bowl teams, I don't need Halflings or Wood Elves... yet

Hopefully part 3 will have Underworlds stuff. They did say there would be something for all of their games.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, I kind of wish they'd saved it all for April 18th or just lumped it into last week's reveal. Why wait a week to tease a box for the Lumineth Realmlords that we already figured would come, with no new models being shown? Don't want to be super negative. I like that the Treeman's vines look like the grills of a football helmet, which was a nice touch. I'm not sure what to expect from a Gargant army. I remember when the plastic giant kit came out, it was such a big deal.

So Ogors and Gargants, despite using models from Fantasy, are completely indigenous to the mortal realms? Like we have to pretend that the old Giant kit is now a son of a zodiacal godbeast? Where did the new Ogors come from?

It's one thing I'm struggling with my Seraphon. The fact that the Old Ones were supposed to have built the realmgates, for example - but in the old world they were already a forgotten memory. No first-generation Slann remained, and second generation were incredibly rare. In the new Seraphon lore, the Old Ones created the realmgates in the Age of Myth, and the Slann helped out. Were there new generation of Slann that were spawned inbetween, and it just happens that they are exactly as rare now as they were in the Old World?

It would be a bit easier if it was a complete reboot, I think - having these distinct, specific ties to the history of the Old World makes it harder to suspend my disbelief for these kinds of continuity errors.

That said, I'm totally on board for the new setting. I've been reading the lore in the second edition rulebook and it's really great stuff. I've already decided my Seraphon are based out of the deserts of Aqshy and have been painting them up to look like bearded dragons. I'm into it. But where was the Slann in my army spawned? In the Old World, or in the Mortal Realms during the Age of Myth?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quarantine Hobby: Underworlds Edition

Stormsire's Cursebreakers

I've got my painting backlog lined up in alternating order: Underworlds, Blood Bowl, Warcry. Lets me get a good mix of styles to paint so it doesn't get mind-numbing too quickly. Kill Team, Warhammer Quest, and remaining SCE/Bonesplitterz army models take a back seat, since I like the idea of knocking out a team at a time.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice job, looking sharp. Good job doing the black highlights. Only bit of constructive criticism is that the highlights on the cloaks look a bit severe - maybe another wash and highlight could even them out. But the gold trim pops like it should, and there's great flame effec

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nice job, looking sharp. Good job doing the black highlights. Only bit of constructive criticism is that the highlights on the cloaks look a bit severe - maybe another wash and highlight could even them out. But the gold trim pops like it should, and there's great flame effec
    Thanks! I agree the robes aren't perfect, I'm still not great at getting cloth to look right. And it was my first time doing fire, I'm pretty happy with it!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Posted some of my thoughts in the 40k thread, but there's plenty of AoS stuff in here worth talking about.

My biggest gripe right now is the Lumineth slow drip. Like, we all know the army is coming, we all know it's going to be different than what we all thought now that we've seen giant cows and hammer-wielding aelves, just dump the whole faction and be done with it. Two weeks and we get... a new Wizard. Lots of detail, and the story behind her is intriguing, but really? Show everything and let us have something to consume during lockdown, let people plan paint schemes and stuff. I just find it a bit frustrating.

Gargants are kind of a meh for me. I think the models look great, the detail is pretty ace, and the amount of bits will be crazy, but... was anyone really chomping at the bit to play mono-Gargants? Destruction already has a solo-monster faction in the Beastclaw side of Ogor Mawtribes, and I think those big beasties look way cooler than the Gargants. They're cool, I'm not mad about it, but it's a pretty hard pass on my side. I'm glad people who want them are happy, though.

The Warcry models are great, but my main interest is in what this means for the game as a whole. Are we going to get a full year "season" of Order warbands? One from each Realm, like we got for Chaos? If they all stay at the level of Cities of Sigmar linemen (Freeguild, Dark Aelves, High Aelves, Dispossessed, Wanderers) and are just themed to each Realm, I think that could be a really interesting style that matches well with the Chaos teams.

I like the Snotling BB team. I get that people wanted the existing factions, and I kind of want some High Elf or Vampire models, but I'm not mad over the release. And it's kinda cool to get a break from teams we already know to get something new. Hit and miss at the same time.

24. - Top - End - #174

Beholder

I think the partial problem with Lumineth is in the vein of the Engine Wars book, that it should be out already or released very soon. And GW does like to have something to show on release as well, at least for the full new armies. So they want to show something off, but still keep something back to get hype on release day.

Giants look like big giants. Don't really care about them though. People seemed to want some Knight-like faction in AoS, so they might be satisfied with this.

Warcry band is interesting. Nice to see the mistweaver aesthetic returned. Will be nice to see where that goes. It is also a nice way to add units to existing armies as well, considering these are Daughters of Khaine themed. (Or at least Morathi-related)

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My biggest gripe right now is the Lumineth slow drip. Like, we all know the army is coming, we all know it's going to be different than what we all thought now that we've seen giant cows and hammer-wielding aelves, just dump the whole faction and be done with it. Two weeks and we get... a new Wizard. Lots of detail, and the story behind her is intriguing, but really? Show everything and let us have something to consume during lockdown, let people plan paint schemes and stuff. I just find it a bit frustrating.
    Metrics. New GW is same as Old GW. They do exactly what they used to do. But now it's online. Instead of in White Dwarf.

You click on a thing, they give you two pictures. Generate hype.
    They make you click on another thing, they give you two pictures. Generate hype.
    They make you click on another thing, they give you two pictures. Generate hype.
    ...ad nauseum.

As per most commercial websites, they lose if you they give you everything at once:
    - They can say to their shareholders, that the site gets X visits per week. People have to keep coming back, equals more clicks.
    - The hype train stays fresh, because you can't pump out one piece and then be done with it.

The only way this stops working, is if you refuse to jump on the hype train. That's why I rarely go to Warhammer Community. I know what GW is doing, and I refuse to be a part of it. I'll just wait for someone else who has seen it, and go off what they say. The pictures will be up on Facebook within an hour or so. Just wait. Don't go to WC.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-04-19 at 03:35 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well I'm a bit late to comment on the preview because the internet ate my first post. After a few days the only thing I really have to say is I hate the bow-legged stance of the new giants. As a whole their proportions look more cartoonish to me than anything, and for that reason I'm bitter on them the way I am on most of the Gloomspite Gitz model range - they don't have the grounded feeling that a lot of the Old World had. Fair enough, new setting, new aesthetic. Just my preference. If I have a big centerpiece model I want it to be aesthetically interesting, not oafish.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I got my PDF of Soulbound, the AoS Tabletop RPG. Would anyone be interested in a rundown once I'm done reading it? Or would it be better put into a separate thread, as it's a different game?

28. - Top - End - #178

Beholder

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

Lumineth Endless Spells. Less grand than other factions, but I like them.

I got my PDF of Soulbound, the AoS Tabletop RPG. Would anyone be interested in a rundown once I'm done reading it? Or would it be better put into a separate thread, as it's a different game?
    As it is an RPG, it might be better to create a seperate thread in the RPG subforum instead.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

Lumineth Endless Spells. Less grand than other factions, but I like them.
    Oh good, they updated the Twinstones. When they first posted it, it just had the first paragraph of rules so no one knew what it actually did lolol.

I think the Twinstones are going to be a must-take if they end up being Wizard-heavy. Though, as we've only seen foot wizards and Tyrion, unsure if that will be the case, I generally like to see at least one Monster or Monster-mounted generic Wizard for magic heavy armies. I don't think the Battle Cattle are Wizards, but if they are, I'd wager you'll see the Twinstones a lot.

The Rune is fine as a little nuke, especially as it can't backfire. Depends on points, but if it's low enough it'll find space. The -charge is huge if you're trying to dictate the flow of battle.

As for the Sanctum... it seems cool but it's not 100% clear how it works. It almost looks like it's designed to fit around a monster base, so does it just go around one of the big guys? If so, the buff is insane. Or is it a little area that your dudes sit inside? If that's the case, it's pretty nuts since you can prevent charges entirely and it also buffs. But, does it move with models? Need to see the deployment rules to get a better picture of it.

As it is an RPG, it might be better to create a seperate thread in the RPG subforum instead.
    Yeah I might make one and link it here. I'm enjoying what I'm reading so far, and the fluff in it is actually quite interesting, more of a look into City-level stuff in AoS than we've seen before. And things like "What's up with Sylvaneth that don't just hang around with Alarielle in Ghyran?" and "How do outsiders react to the more rare Aelves like Khainites and Idoneth?". I'm digging it.

30. - Top - End - #180

Beholder

Oh good, they updated the Twinstones. When they first posted it, it just had the first paragraph of rules so no one knew what it actually did lolol.

I think the Twinstones are going to be a must-take if they end up being Wizard-heavy. Though, as we've only seen foot wizards and Tyrion, unsure if that will be the case, I generally like to see at least one Monster or Monster-mounted generic Wizard for magic heavy armies. I don't think the Battle Cattle are Wizards, but if they are, I'd wager you'll see the Twinstones a lot.

The Rune is fine as a little nuke, especially as it can't backfire. Depends on points, but if it's low enough it'll find space. The -charge is huge if you're trying to dictate the flow of battle.

As for the Sanctum... it seems cool but it's not 100% clear how it works. It almost looks like it's designed to fit around a monster base, so does it just go around one of the big guys? If so, the buff is insane. Or is it a little area that your dudes sit inside? If that's the case, it's pretty nuts since you can prevent charges entirely and it also buffs. But, does it move with models? Need to see the deployment rules to get a better picture of it.

I've seen rumours that the unit captains are low-key wizards like acolytes/pink horrors. Which could make them quite magic heavy.