New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age Of Sigmar II: I Can't Believe It's Not Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    You are correct, I completely read it wrong. Either way it's not great, though might be ok for Teclis autocasting on a 12.
    It would be incredible for wiping out skeleton blocks etc if it was per model - as is, I'm not sure it justifies it's high CV. I suspect it's most scary against well-protected low-save heroes.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

So I swung by the warhammer shop this week end to resupply on paint, washes and glazes, and I saw the Kharadron Overlords models for the first time.

THEY
    ARE
    SO
    ADORABLE

In my current dnd game, I created the "dwarves who use an absurd amount of technomagi" as a generic antagonist, and oh my god the little bubble magical jetpack, the bubble sky cutters, they are so cuuuuute.

So I bought the starter set just because I couldn't resist. I don't plan to actually play the game, I just wanted my crack miniatures.

I wanted to check what was the tactical philopshy of the Kharadron? They seem to be airship and ranged weaponry, so.. Some sort of Imperial Guard equivalent?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    So I swung by the warhammer shop this week end to resupply on paint, washes and glazes, and I saw the Kharadron Overlords models for the first time.

THEY
    ARE
    SO
    ADORABLE

In my current dnd game, I created the "dwarves who use an absurd amount of technomagi" as a generic antagonist, and oh my god the little bubble magical jetpack, the bubble sky cutters, they are so cuuuuute.

So I bought the starter set just because I couldn't resist. I don't plan to actually play the game, I just wanted my crack miniatures.

I wanted to check what was the tactical philopshy of the Kharadron? They seem to be airship and ranged weaponry, so.. Some sort of Imperial Guard equivalent?
    They are definitely more focused on ranged weaponry, though they're not afraid to brawl hand to hand when the situation calls for it (mostly balloon units and Heroes). The lore has them more focused on mid-ranged firepower - deck sweepers, semi-automatic rifles, and volleyguns all excel a bit closer on the field. To accomplish this, they practice rapid redeployment by dropping in and out of their Airships to where is needed on the battlefield, supported by fast-moving Endrinriggers (balloon boys).

Even if you don't play, if you're interested in the lore, consider picking up the Battletome (army rulebook). It's a lot of background, lore, and excellent paint schemes to drool over

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

FAQs and point changes for armies not caught in GHB2020. There's quite a bit of small tweaks, but big ones to note:

-Petrifex Elite changed from "+1 save" to "reroll save rolls of 1". Which is good, because 3+ save horde Battleline was awful. The other subfactions are still good though. Heck, even reroll 1s across the army is pretty solid still.
    -Pink Horrors got a double nerf: points went up, and the Gaunt Summoner can only summon 5 now instead of 10. Excellent change - keeps them viable but does hit them appropriately.
    -Kroak went completely unchanged. Seraphon will be top dogs for the next Tournament cycle (assuming there is one).
    -Salamanders totally went up in points though. As if people were actually paying for them instead of summoning.
    -Kharadron boats dropped across the board again, "Please buy Kharadron boats," says the GW team.
    -Steam Tanks (both basic and Hero) dropped a bit, not enough to make that army competitive, but if you were playing it for fun anyways, now you have more points. And it's a cool army.

Overall slight changes, but good changes.

Except Seraphon. I guess they really want to sell out of those Kroak models that are taking up space in the warehouse.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Banned

Which is good, because 3+ save horde Battleline was awful.
    So it went from Battletome: Petrifex Elite to Battletome: Katakros and Mortis Praetorians huh?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

FAQs and point changes for armies not caught in GHB2020. There's quite a bit of small tweaks, but big ones to note:

-Petrifex Elite changed from "+1 save" to "reroll save rolls of 1 AGAINST MELEE". Which is good, because 3+ save horde Battleline was awful. The other subfactions are still good though. Heck, even reroll 1s across the army is pretty solid still.
    updated to what it actually says. Petrifex is dead, OBR will cut what they need to take Katakros and going back to being 3+ as Praetorians.

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    So it went from Battletome: Petrifex Elite to Battletome: Katakros and Mortis Praetorians huh?
    yes.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2020-07-20 at 01:15 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    updated to what it actually says. Petrifex is dead, OBR will cut what they need to take Katakros and going back to being 3+ as Praetorians.
    Sure, not that it matters, since like you said people won't even use Petrifex anymore. Though they're still pretty good at combat.

OBR are still a good faction. Good units, Relentless Discipline is excellent, and no Battleshock and giant bricks of hardy Battleline is, unsurprisingly, actually kinda stupid. If they do the midway points errata in Jan/Feb (and there are enough events to make changes from), I can see some further point adjustments there.

Also, where the **** is my Lumineth second wave?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, not that it matters, since like you said people won't even use Petrifex anymore. Though they're still pretty good at combat.

OBR are still a good faction. Good units, Relentless Discipline is excellent, and no Battleshock and giant bricks of hardy Battleline is, unsurprisingly, actually kinda stupid. If they do the midway points errata in Jan/Feb (and there are enough events to make changes from), I can see some further point adjustments there.
    OBR are not a good faction, they are an easy to play noob stomper faction. Yes there is a difference. The top factions are still Seraphon, Cities, LoCA, and Tzeench. Solo Overlords might be top tier now after GW lost their damn minds with the points decreases, but for now its just more gravy for Tempest Eye.

Data is still coming for Lumineth but it looks like they'll just be a Teclis delivery system.

This GHB and FAQ may be worse overall for the game than GHB 2109 was when you consider whats actually happening at the top tables.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

OBR are not a good faction, they are an easy to play noob stomper faction. Yes there is a difference. The top factions are still Seraphon, Cities, LoCA, and Tzeench. Solo Overlords might be top tier now after GW lost their damn minds with the points decreases, but for now its just more gravy for Tempest Eye.

Data is still coming for Lumineth but it looks like they'll just be a Teclis delivery system.

This GHB and FAQ may be worse overall for the game than GHB 2109 was when you consider whats actually happening at the top tables.
    Cities (namely Hallowheart) got tempered a bit with the change to Hallowheart abilities and the limit on Endless Spells. Soul Bridge gunlines are pretty good still, however, but with the bridge going up to 100 points, it'll get reconfigured a bit. The Tzeentch changes weren't quite enough, but it does get dropped a small amount. I don't think the gulf between top tier and high competitive is that large, personally, though it's all very subjective.

The more I read the LRL book, the more I think Teclis might be a meta-trap. In a hard shooting meta, he just dies quickly. 16 wounds 4+ seems good, but my Longstrikes can clear that in one turn of shooting, and the new Vanguard Auxiliary list can out-drop LRL and gimp Teclis before the game starts. However, against lists that are higher drop or without good ranged damage, he turns on all his defensive stuff basically for free and boosts the rest of the army quite a bit.

Still, I think he might be more like Allarielle than Nagash - there will be lists that use him to good effect, but it's not the only build in the book. Vanari horde lists and Ymetrica double Spirit of the Mountain lists both look quite powerful in their own ways as well.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Didn't expect those KO boat point decreases, but I don't mind them.

Petrifex nerf was worse than I expected, but pretty much needed a nerf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Out of interest, where can I see these top-tier Seraphon lists?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Out of interest, where can I see these top-tier Seraphon lists?
    Mostly on Discord right now: standard core has been Krocknado, skinks and Salamander spam.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

The top factions are still Seraphon, Cities, LoCA, and Tzeench.
    Sorry, whats LoCA?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Sorry, whats LoCA?
    Legion of Chaos Ascendant. Effectively Be'lakor's legion, the whole army gets a 6+ shrug, chance to get a free summon once per turn (one Hero can summon if you roll a 10+ on 3d6), and some other bonuses to non-monster Daemon units (return models, fight before they die, etc). It's good.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, I really like the Anvil of Apotheosis rules. And it's great they have points costs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Honestly, I really like the Anvil of Apotheosis rules. And it's great they have points costs.
    I really love it a lot, I'm sad it's come at a time where few events or pickup games are happening. I'd love to make a beatstick Boar rider Hero for my Bonesplitterz, or a mounted Priest for my Stormcast.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had about 70 Skeletons languishing unbuilt because I couldn't muster enthusiasm for my legions of Nagash army. It was just something I was making in order to have an AoS army. Then Ossiarchs came out, I made those instead and never built the skeletons.....

But now, I could try my hand at a fairly major kitbash and make a Necrofex Colossus, with a Vampire pirate captain atop it, to act as a centerpiece. Right now I'm imagining no small amount of Green-stuff, + bits of the Gloomtide shipwreck. Maybe some bits off of the Gothizzar Harvester.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    But now, I could try my hand at a fairly major kitbash and make a Necrofex Colossus, with a Vampire pirate captain atop it, to act as a centerpiece. Right now I'm imagining no small amount of Green-stuff, + bits of the Gloomtide shipwreck. Maybe some bits off of the Gothizzar Harvester.
    You may want to consider the Reaper Shipwreck Revenant as a starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Been trying to reconcile "what I like" and "what is good" in Seraphon lists. These two look much more my speed than the usual tourney winners:

Spoiler
    Show
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Koatl's Claw

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (210)

- General
    - War Spear
    - Command Trait: Dominant Predator
    - Artefact: Eviscerating Blade
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Celestial Harmony
    Skink Starseer (140)
    - Spell: Hand of Glory

Battleline
    15 x Saurus Knights (300)
    - Blades
    10 x Saurus Knights (200)
    - Blades
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    20 x Chameleon Skinks (360)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)

Total: 1980 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 124

Spoiler
    Show

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (250)
    - Artefact: Blade of Realities
    - General
    - War Spear
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Tide of Serpents
    Skink Starseer (140)
    - Spell: Bind Endless Spell
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - Lances
    - Lances
    - Lances
    Firelance Temple-host (160)
    Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)
    Bound The Burning Head (40)
    Bound Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (40)
    Bound Quicksilver Swords (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Wounds: 100

Obviously both need some adjustments to swap out the chameleon skinks and glut of Endless Spells respectively, but I'm starting to suspect that I could run pretty much whatever I wanted if the core of it was a Kroaknado/Slannado. Perhaps the first one - swap the Chameleon Skinks for another twenty ordinary skinks, grab a Balewind Vortex, and have about 150pts left for something.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

I was wondering. Since I noticed all Kharadon heads and faces are actually helmets, do we know if the Kharadon still look normal under there? Has there been images of unhelmeted Kharadon?

I started testing out my paint schemes, and the fact that they are all masked really can make them cool Evil Empire mooks.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was wondering. Since I noticed all Kharadon heads and faces are actually helmets, do we know if the Kharadon still look normal under there? Has there been images of unhelmeted Kharadon?

I started testing out my paint schemes, and the fact that they are all masked really can make them cool Evil Empire mooks.
    I think there’s only the one image of an unarmoured Kharadon, and that’s from the back, seen here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ms-this-april/
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

There are some in the battletome I believe.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Been trying to reconcile "what I like" and "what is good" in Seraphon lists. These two look much more my speed than the usual tourney winners:

Spoiler
    Show

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (320)

- General
    - War Spear
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    Skink Starseer (140)

Battleline
    15 x Saurus Knights (300)
    - Blades
    - Blades
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    20 x Chameleon Skinks (360)

Total: 1980 / 2000
    Wounds: 124

Spoiler
    Show

Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (250)
    - Artefact: Blade of Realities
    - General
    - War Spear
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Tide of Serpents
    Skink Starseer (140)
    - Spell: Bind Endless Spell
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - Lances
    - Lances
    - Lances
    Firelance Temple-host (160)
    Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)
    Bound The Burning Head (40)
    Bound Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws (40)
    Bound Quicksilver Swords (40)

Extra Command Points: 1
    Wounds: 100

Obviously both need some adjustments to swap out the chameleon skinks and glut of Endless Spells respectively, but I'm starting to suspect that I could run pretty much whatever I wanted if the core of it was a Kroaknado/Slannado. Perhaps the first one - swap the Chameleon Skinks for another twenty ordinary skinks, grab a Balewind Vortex, and have about 150pts left for something.
    First one has Kroak and Skinks, it's good. Though I think Chameleon Skinks are often better in smaller units rather than one big brick.

Second list has too many Endless Spells. You can only take 3 in a 2000 point list now. I think Knights are.... kinda bad in general, but honestly if you have enough of them you can go fast and do ok.

The Soulbound book has some images of them without their helmets on. They look like... Dwarves, honestly. Shorter beards or sometimes clean shaven, since they need to fit in their helmets, but overall the same variety that you'd get with Dispossessed. They stay in helmets 90% of the time for practical purposes, but they don't need the suits to live on the ground or in general.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

First one has Kroak and Skinks, it's good. Though I think Chameleon Skinks are often better in smaller units rather than one big brick.

Second list has too many Endless Spells. You can only take 3 in a 2000 point list now. I think Knights are.... kinda bad in general, but honestly if you have enough of them you can go fast and do ok.
    I've heard a mix of opinions on Knights and frankly they seem Just Fun. I kind of just want them and a scary monster. The Chameleon Skinks are presumably for teleporting around onto objectives, hence why it's a big block I guess, big enough to take an objective and survive. I might be tempted to run as Starborne instead to let anyone do that, although +2 attacks on all the knights is tempting.

How about instead:

Spoiler
    Show
    - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (320)
    Skink Starpriest (120)

Skink Starseer (140)
    Skink Oracle on Troglodon (220)

- General
    - Warblade
    - Artefact: Serpent God Dagger

[B]Battleline[/B]
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)

- Blades
    - Blades
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    20 x Skinks (120)

Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Wounds: 134

Kroak gets a vortex and a bodyguard, and a Troglodon to cast spells through, which gives me essentially complete board coverage with his nukes. Fangs Of Sotek lets my chaff skinks spread out across half the board on the first turn, and the knight units are still pretty tough and big.

If the Troglodon is the general instead, I can swap the Fangs Of Sotek "yet another command point" command trait for a standard one, probably giving him +1 save for 12 wounds, 3+ save, regenerating.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

So I've got to play Force the Hand and Blades Edge so far in this weekends TTS tourny. I really dig em.

also if you want to meme as Seraphon run the following and name each dino

Spoiler
    Show

- Constellation: Thunder Lizard
    Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
    Stegadon with Skink Chief (250)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    - Weapon: Sunfire Throwers
    Skink Starseer (140)

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (60)
    Stegadon (240)
    - Weapon: Skystreak Bow
    Stegadon (240)

Behemoths
    Dread Saurian (420)
    Dread Saurian (420)
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon: Solar Engine

Wounds: 125

meanwhile playing against Karhadrons is exhausting.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2020-07-25 at 03:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

So I've got to play Force the Hand and Blades Edge so far in this weekends TTS tourny. I really dig em.

also if you want to meme as Seraphon run the following and name each dino

Spoiler
    Show

- Constellation: Thunder Lizard
    Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
    Stegadon with Skink Chief (250)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    - Weapon: Sunfire Throwers
    Skink Starseer (140)

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (60)
    Stegadon (240)
    Stegadon (240)

Behemoths
    Dread Saurian (420)
    Dread Saurian (420)
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon: Solar Engine

Wounds: 125

meanwhile playing against Karhadrons is exhausting.
    Why is it exhausting?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is it exhausting?
    they have an Ironclad and 6 gunhaulers: I have 4" movement.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

they have an Ironclad and 6 gunhaulers: I have 4" movement.
    So.. They are fast, and you are slow. They quickly take objectives while you have to play catch-up?

I thought the advantage of the Kharadron were the Fly High/Deepstrike of their flying units.

Also, I've read on the internet that the gun hauler is a suboptimal use of point compared to the frigate or the ironclad. Care to comment on that?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

So.. They are fast, and you are slow. They quickly take objectives while you have to play catch-up?
    That and we estimate he killed ~150 skeletons by the end of the game.

The other reason is Legions of Nagash is positioning restrictions the army, that Khadrons mobility and shooting exasperates.

I thought the advantage of the Kharadron were the Fly High/Deepstrike of their flying units.
    that and they are a 40K army in the wrong game. That much shooting all with rend is VERY powerful.
    Also, I've read on the internet that the gun hauler is a suboptimal use of point compared to the frigate or the ironclad. Care to comment on that?
    checks out, I don't do mathhammer that much, but everyone I know have been more interested in double frigate than gunhauler spam.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That and we estimate he killed ~150 skeletons by the end of the game.

The other reason is Legions of Nagash is positioning restrictions the army, that Khadrons mobility and shooting exasperates.

that and they are a 40K army in the wrong game. That much shooting all with rend is VERY powerful.

checks out, I don't do mathhammer that much, but everyone I know have been more interested in double frigate than gunhauler spam.
    Legions is generally weak against shooting, unless you're rolling with Nagash himself, who is fairly durable against (most) shooting and can support the rest of the army. Still, good dice can cut even the big man down before whittling down the troops. Anything that can clear mobs and prevent them from rezzing will do reasonably well.

The relatively massive drops in KO points is going to make them play very differently, bringing Boats is no longer a burden, and they were relatively buffed in the last book compared to before.