Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 70
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    For reference, this was written by Leigh Carr and Lynne Hardy and dedicated to Greg Stafford, RIP.

    The Lightless Beacon

    Welcome to your fourth scenario of Call of Cthulhu, the Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now that you've gotten some experience under your belt concerning cooperative investigations, we will enter into our first closed-room-esque pre-generated scenario. This is something intended for beginners, but there's a greater emphasis on interpersonal RP as opposed to RP with the DM, as well as being more physically challenging than the other scenarios (generally pre-generated adventures run a much greater risk of TPKs), but nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to The Lightless Beacon.

    One important thing you have to keep in mind (for EarthenRite, as I've already gone over this withe Zene) is that certain sections I may only show to either of you, for example, if/when you split up I may spoiler off certain pieces of text, if you happen to go insane, I may split up certain pieces of text. Basically, whenever you are not seeing the same thing, I will split up pieces of text. Please also respond similarly if a player would theoretically be unable to notice exactly what you're doing.

    ----
    The Atlantic Ocean, 8:15 PM, Monday, April 12, 1926

    The Beacon Island lighthouse off the shore of Folly Point, Massachusetts, ceased to cast its light over the region’s dangerous rocky waters about 15 minutes ago. As a result, the SS Essex County, a mixed passenger and cargo vessel on which you are all traveling to Rockport, has foundered on the rocks and incurred considerable damage to its hull.
    The ship is sinking, and the crew hurries you toward one of the many small rowboats acting as the ship’s lifeboats. As they load the two of you in, they tell you your best bet is to aim for Beacon Island—they doubt you’ll make the mainland as a storm is brewing. You should have just enough time to reach the island before it hits. Then, without another word, they shove you off into the dark, churning waters. All you have to guide you is the small light shining at the base of the lighthouse’s towering silhouette.
    ----

    Please give me 3d6x5 to establish your starting Luck score for this character. In addition, how would your characters react to suddenly being forced into this position? How would they interact with the other member of their boat (to clarify it's just the two of you)? A name would also be nice (at least for my reference).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-19 at 07:01 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    (Initial luck: (3d6x5)[50])

    Dean, clearly irritated by the inconvenience, mutters ”Already causing’ me problems, eh? Serves me right for wantin’ to help,” under his breath.

    He grabs an oar, sits down, and looks up at the other passenger with a forced—and maybe a little apologetic?—smile. “Welp, I s’pose introductions are in order, eh? I’m Dean Mullins. I’d shake your hand, but it’s probably best that we just get to paddlin’. You ever operated one a these before?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    The man in the boat nods and takes up the oar.

    “My uncle had a lake. Used to row a lot over the summers. I’m Scully - Walter Scully. If we were to have landed, I was going to be starting as a night watchman at the docks. If we make this, I guess I still will.”

    Walter keeps rowing, matching time to Dean’s. Survival dictated, now, that their rapport was solid. That said, he was on edge. This shouldn’t have happened. Surreptitiously, whenever he was able, he checked his person to make sure he hadn’t lost anything in the sinking and evacuation.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Luckily everything still seems to be on both of your persons.

    Spoiler: Walter Scully
    Show
    Including your badge, you don't know what you'd do if you lost that...

    You both continue your strokes, progressing closer and closer over the rough waves towards the island with the now-out lighthouse.

    Spoiler: Successful Combined Natural World and Science (Meteorology) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    You notice that clouds seem to be forming into those of storm clouds... darkening the horizon. There is indeed going to be a storm soon, and quite a terrible one at that. You really must get to shelter soon.

    ----

    For reference...

    You were both just past Folly Point in terms of your last known location. I'll post another update soon but I want to give the both of you a post or two more in terms of conversation.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-20 at 09:22 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Natural World and Meteorology: (d100)[49]

    Dean keeps rowing, sweat drops starting to appear on his forehead.

    "A watchman, eh? Seems like a fine profession, that. Well, as long as you don't have too many lawbreakers around, I suppose."

    "I'm an antiques dealer, myself. But I was heading out here to visit an old friend, who's been working as the lighthouse operator."


    He looks up at the sky. "I suppose I should consider it a bit of good fortune that I'm heading straight to my destination. But I can't imagine this bodes well for the visit. I'm no seaman, but my friend -- Cassidy's his name -- I'm guessing he should have had the lighthouse shining, right"
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-21 at 04:34 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    The stress was starting to show on Walter as well as he strained against the oars.

    “I hope your friend is alright for the light to be out now, especially given the conditions.”

    Walter raised his eyes to the horizon. This wasn’t like his grandfather’s lake. That lake was calm, barely disturbed. This was wild, and it fought him as he strove to find a rhythm.

    “I’m meant to meet a friend of mine in town as welL. I hope he’ll excuse the lateness. Have you ever been to this light before?”

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    It is right as you ask this question when you crest another of the growing waves. After you descend (quite quickly, I should note), the feeble rowboat suddenly crashes into something... hard. There's the horrid sound of a KER-CHUNK as the boat becomes stuck in something deep within the dark waters. As a glimmer of moonlight happens to peek behind a cloud upon your location you happen to see that twisted metal has become lodged in a nearby sandbank, entrapping your vessel. As you both peer over the edge you see that yet more lurks below the surface.

    Spoiler: Combined Know (Education) and Spot Hidden Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    Spoiler: If the Know (Education) Roll Was Successful
    Show
    This strange metal appears to have the same, albeit clearly ruined and water-worn, construction as that of a ship. However, you don't recall hearing of a wreck around here for quite some time.

    Spoiler: Walter Scully
    Show
    Something strikes you about this realization. You feel like you might have heard of this before... but where? Something about... February?
    Spoiler: If the Spot Hidden Roll Was Successful
    Show
    There are strangely no identifying marks on the metal, and judging by the relatively small number of barnacles and general lack of deterioration, it obviously hasn't been here for very long.

    Note that if you're successful in both, you would be able to open both spoilers.
    ----

    You'd guess that in order to free the boat you'd have to make a Pilot (Boat) roll. Even then, it would barely be in operable condition (maybe enough to get you to the Beacon).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-25 at 08:48 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Know - (1d100)[92](92)
    Spot Hidden - (1d100)[4](4)
    Pilot - (1d100)[32](32)

    [b] “What on earth was that?” [/rollv]

    Walter practically jumps at the impact, raising his oar defensively, instinctivey.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Combined roll spot hidden and know: (d100)[69]

    Boat Pilot roll: (d100)[92]

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    ”Whoah!”

    “Looks like we hit some kind of wrecked ship?”

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Spoiler: Walter Scully
    Show
    Something strikes you about your companion's realization. You feel like you might have heard of this before... but where? Something about... February?
    ----

    EDIT: Neither of you are quite confident that you can remove the boat without it ripping in half, but you may nevertheless Push the roll should you wish... I mean, a storm is apparently coming.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-26 at 04:44 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Are we in swim distance of the lighthouse? How rough does the water look? (Can I swim? lol) Are there any other options apparent besides pushing to unstick the boat, or trying to swim to the lighthouse?

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    You may certainly attempt to Swim (it’s... sorta swimmable, but the water is by no means calm). Or at least make a roll to see if the water is such that you can make it to the Beacon.

    Otherwise, you don’t see too many obvious options.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-27 at 02:58 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Swim roll to see if I think I can make it to the Beacon: (d100)[40]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    From Dean’s vantage point, the water looks pretty rough, and he might get battered by the waves, but he thinks he might be able to make it (read: by pushing the roll).

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    "I dunno if I'm a good enough swimmer to make it from here. Let's try to get this boat unstuck, eh? I'll follow your lead."
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-11-28 at 12:05 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Walter looks grim as he secures as much of his belongings about his person as he can, in case they have to swim anyway.

    “If we can’t...and have to make a swim for it...stay to the shore as best you can once you get out of the water. It’ll help if we get separated.”

    With that he bends down to heave, trying to leverage the oar in such a way as to provide a lever, if possible.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d100)[14](14)

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Walter sticks the oar in-between the metal and the boat and just barely manages to force the boat off of the metal. This action sends it hurtling off over the waves and it takes both of you to navigate the choppy waters in order to make it to the small dock and pier of The Lightless Beacon...


    (because you realized there was a ship under there)

    The boat crashes into the pier at the exact moment when lightning flashes some distance off, briefly illuminating the island which the Beacon stands on. Clearly, although this is the safest place to land on the island, that's not saying too much. The beacon itself is, of course, lightless, and yet, there are a couple of glimmering lights at the base of the cottage/lighthouse structure, to which a narrow dirt path hemmed in by long grass at the end of the dock leads.
    After the pearl of thunder departs and instead is replaced by the pitter-patter of heavy rain, the both of you disembark from your measly rowboat and look out into the choppy waters of the sea. It's quite clear that you will not be leaving this island anytime soon, unless, of course, you wish to be consumed by the dark depths of the waves. Thus, it seems your only recourse is to wait out the storm on this island.
    As you gather yourselves you also hear something over the rain... it sounds like... churning? Some sort of machinery, you think.

    Spoiler: Successful Combined Electrical Repair and Mechanical Repair Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    The constant humming reminds you of some sort of electrical generator? That would explain the lights...
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-12-02 at 04:28 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Walter helps Dean ashore, and accepting aid in equal measure.

    “You alright, there? Sounds like...something is churning on this island. I think we should head for the lights...see if anyone is at home.”

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    roll - (1d100)[56](56)

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Dean wrings out his jacket, before slinging it over his shoulder. "I'm alright. Thank god I wasn't trying to do that alone, though."

    He looks up at the tower, then down to the lights. "Yeah, I suppose checking out the lights is our best bet. It just figures. That fool would have them running tonight, but not the tower."

    Combined repair roll: (d100)[22]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    You both press on along the path, which winds its way up towards the cottage. You see the front entrance here is strangely slightly ajar, but also this height, combined with a flash of lightning from not far off allows for you to make out most of the island. It appears to be made up of the lighthouse/cottage fixture, plus a couple of other shacks in between a massive thicket and ends on either end with a pier.


    (for reference you disembarked at the topmost pier)

    As you approach the door you notice that a steady glow can be seen from inside. On either side of the door is a window; thin curtains drawn over both, but a warm welcoming light shines through those on the left. The pathway stops here, but a section of it diverts off towards the back of the lighthouse. As you near the cottage portion, the shockwave of thunder following the prior lightning strike rumbles throughout the island, bringing the rain down in an even worse downpour then before.

    Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You notice in front of the cottage door a several small, muddy, animal-like footprints, but beneath these, are distinct boot prints, only partially obscured by overlaying track marks. They lead away from the cottage/lighthouse.

    Spoiler: Subsequent Successful Combined Natural World or Science (Biology) or (Zoology) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed (Assuming You’d Attempt To Identify Them)
    Show
    Jeez that was long... sorry!
    ----

    The small footprints are duck-like in nature, albeit quite a ways larger than a duck's prints.

    Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    There is something that's off about these footprints. They would indicate something quadrapedal, and you're looking at an animal maybe... mastiff, or at least, dog-sized. Perhaps this could be a new sort of species native to the Massachusetts coastal area?

    Regardless, the storm is rolling through this area. If the footprints and tracks are not followed soon, they will surely be lost to the rain forever.
    ----

    Note that just like in any RPG, I am fully down to split the party.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-12-03 at 11:43 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Spot Hidden: (d100)[23]

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Spoiler: Dean
    Show
    Natural World / Science Bio/Zoo: (d100)[97]

    Are the tracks heading out of the cabin, and away from it? As opposed to heading in to the cabin.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-02 at 11:54 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    Spoiler: Dean Mullins
    Show
    They appear to be headed away from the lighthouse/cottage.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    (Spot Hidden before editing the post: (1d100)[40](40) )

    Walter glanced at the tracks before looking back to the house. They didn’t really spark any recognition for him. Maybe a bird or the keeper’s pet? It could get lonely at a lighthouse, he guessed.

    “I think the house, first.”
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-12-03 at 11:22 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    And, the subsequent biological rolls - (1d100)[53](53)

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    ”Hm. Tracks leading out, not in,” Dean says, with a hint of worry creeping into his voice.

    He knocks loudly on the cracked door, ”Anyone here?” —pausing only a moment for any response before opening the door and stepping in.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    There is no response from the interior. Instead, the door slowly opens as your knocks resound from the entrance to the hallway. Another lightning strike illuminates the interior as through the heavy downpour of rain you briefly catch a glimpse of two doors, one of which (the leftmost one) has light coming from beneath the bottom. Otherwise, it is practically impossible to make out anything in the hallway without some sort of light (mind you, the hallway does go deeper, but it's... well... in darkness).

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    (Are there any light sources like a candle or lantern we can light?)

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

    None that you see in the darkness of this hallway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •