New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon IC

Walter gestures towards the lighted one, falling into a position where he is effectively “clearing” rooms as they pass them moving up towards the lighted one.

(As my man Miller says...doors and corners)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The lighted room is adjacent to the entrance of the hallway. I apologize, that was unclear. Regardless, you’re entering the lit room, then?

3. - Top - End - #33

DruidGirl

Dean nods and heads toward the lit room.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As the door slowly creaks open you're both able to see what looks like a study. It contains three armchairs, located in roughly the center of the room. In addition to the hall doorway, there is another door leading to the South. In terms of furniture, besides the armchairs, there is a table to the left of the hall door and a roll-top writing desk (currently closed) on the outer wall, close to the southern door. Both have their own wooden chair next to them. The one by the writing desk currently lies on the floor.

Spoiler: Successful Intelligence Roll
    Show
    Most likely its occupant stood up in a hurry, knocking over the chair in the process.

The table holds several books of maritime tales, a bird book, a repair manual for the lighthouse, a pipe and a pouch of tobacco, a pair of binoculars, a sketchbook, pencils, watercolor paints, paintbrushes, and paper.
    What appears to be a recently finished watercolor also sits on the table beside a neat stack of other paintings. Something seems off about it, but you're not entirely sure why...

The writing desk also has two drawers. The left-hand one is open, but there is a key snapped off inside its lock.

Light also spills from the study into the hallway, allowing for you to notice a light switch on the wall of the hall.

5. - Top - End - #35

DruidGirl

Intelligence: (d100)[35]

Now Dean's getting really worried.

"Anyone home?! George!" he yells, louder than before.

After a brief pause, he turns to Walter. "Those footsteps had to be his. I can't imagine why he would have run out into this storm, but something's going on. I'll understand if you want to stay dry in here, but I'm going to try to track him before those footprints wash away. I just need some kind of light--maybe there's a flashlight in here..."

Dean takes the binoculars, and tries the other drawer, looking for a flashlight.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-05 at 11:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The only response is the muffled (but still incredibly loud) rumble of thunder from the outside elements.

The other drawer appears to be locked, but there's no key in sight. However, you do happen to notice that inside the open drawer (the one under the closed roll-top) is a strange wooden box.

7. - Top - End - #37

DruidGirl

Strange in what sense--just an odd feeling?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, I mean, you'd have to look at it closer, but otherwise it just seems... off. Alien maybe?

9. - Top - End - #39

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Dean
    Show
    If Dean's body is blocking Walter's view, Dean'll try to palm the box and drop it in his pocket inconspicuously. If he doesn't think he can do that without Walter noticing, he'll just leave it there.

"Eh, the drawer's locked."

Dean tries the roll-top.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-06 at 12:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Dean Mullins
    Show
    Please give me a Sleight of Hand roll. Bad stuff will only happen if you Push and fail.
    ----

Opening the roll-top reveals a half-empty, still warm mug of coffee and lots of stationary: envelopes, stamps, paper, bottles of ink, and pens. A mess of invoices for coin appraisals from a variety of Rockport antique stores litter the rest of the desktop; the quotes range from two to five dollars, and all are dated late February 1926.
    Under a large coin catalog are several letters from further afield antique stores, librarians, and universities. Each letter begins with “Dear Mr. Cassidy,” followed by an apology, explaining that the sender is unable to determine the origin of the coins described in the received correspondence; however, all of the letters state they are keen to see an actual sample so that they can carry out a proper, thorough analysis.

Spoiler: Successful Library Use Roll
    Show
    The letters are largely in chronological order; the first is dated March 8th, 1926, while the latest is dated April 2nd, 1926. This last one is from a Miss Anna Tilton of the Newburyport Society.

Spoiler: Successful Language (English) Roll
    Show
    April 2nd, 1926.

Dear Mr. Cassidy,

Thank you for your letter dated February 28th of this year.

I do, indeed, recognize the coin you described. Or, at least, I recognize the style of decoration, for we have a piece of similar origin here in our museum in Newburyport. As a result, I suspect your coin hails from nearby Innsmouth, and only the locals of that benighted town could tell you its true worth—to them, at least.

However, if you value your immortal soul, I strongly caution you against contacting any denizens of that place. No good ever came from dealings with Innsmouth. Instead, the Newburyport Society would be glad to purchase any coins you may have from you at market value, once their authenticity has been confirmed.

If you would care to make arrangements to visit me here at the Society's Museum at your earliest convenience, then I can arrange to have our appraiser examine the coins, whereupon we can agree a fair price for the sale.

Again, Mr. Cassidy, I urge you most strongly not to approach anyone in Innsmouth about your find. It really is for the best of all concerned.

Yours sincerely,

Miss Pinna Tilton

11. - Top - End - #41

DruidGirl

Show
    sleight of hand: (d100)[34]
    Library Use: (d100)[27]

12. - Top - End - #42

DruidGirl

Show
    English: (d100)[48]

"Hmm..., " Dean mutters to himself, picking up the last letter to read it. "Innsmouth, eh? Very strange." He sets the letter back down on the desk.

Still not seeing a flashlight, Dean considers for a moment. Was there enough ambient light outside to follow the tracks? Or, without a flashlight, would he only be able to see them during lightning flashes?
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-06 at 03:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If he hurried, Dean would probably be able to track the footprints. Luckily he hasn’t spent too much time inside. So it’s likely that the tracks are still there and partially visible.

I should also note that Walter should be able to easily see the paper in question (and thus may open the library use spoiler regardless of success or failure).

14. - Top - End - #44

DruidGirl

"I'm gonna have to try following those tracks without a flashlight... they're definitely going to wash away soon."

Dean hurries back outside to find the tracks.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-06 at 03:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Beholder

Walter nods in agreement at the idea of looking for the friend.

“I’ll stay here and try to lock the place up and brace any of the windows and such. When you get back, make sure you make a lot of noise. I’ll let you in. We’ll need to make sure this place can weather the storm. Don’t stay out there too long!”

Library Use - (1d100)[65](65)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Dean rushes back outside. Luckily he spent very little time so the tracks are still there. Thus, he sets about following them. Tracking them on the wet earth should be easy, but the crashing of the waves, the heavy fall of rain, and the inclement weather most certainly does not help his search. Regardless, the tracks will hopefully lead to something, right?
    ----

Please give me a Track roll (if you had spent any more time it's likely that the difficulty level would be increased or that it would've been impossible). Also, I realize that I misunderstood your question. The human tracks are headed out, but the animal tracks are headed in.
    ----

Spoiler: Successful Track Roll
    Show
    You realize that the animal-like footprints came along the path from the direction of the thicket, while the boot-prints lead from the cottage's front door into the trees. As they are underneath, it stands to reason that the boot prints must have been made first. The only question is... which tracks do you follow?

Spoiler: Failed Track Roll
    Show
    You're not entirely sure where the boot-prints lead as they're mostly underfoot of the animal-like footprints, which came along the path from the direction of the thicket. The rain is falling hard now (if it wasn't already), and you're beginning to get quite a bit chilly. You could try and head in spirals to try and pick up trail again, or maybe follow the standard footpath around the cottage, maybe the tracks went that way? Or another alternative could be to ask Walter for some assistance, who knows?
    ----

You may Push the roll should you so choose.

Spoiler: Walter Scully
    Show
    Reminder that, as I mentioned previously, you may open up the Library Use spoiler regardless of your failure. Also... friendly reminder that there's no sign of Warren/Michael either.
    ----

Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    With no sign of Warren here, and the entire lighthouse plunged into darkness, is it possible that it was Warren who made those tracks? You're unsure.

You continue to look around. The room contains three armchairs, located in roughly the center of the study. In addition to the hall doorway, there is another door leading to the South. In terms of furniture, besides the armchairs, there is a table to the left of the hall door and a roll-top writing desk (currently closed) on the outer wall, close to the southern door. Both have their own wooden chair next to them. The one by the writing desk currently lies on the floor.

Spoiler: Successful Intelligence Roll
    Show
    Most likely its occupant stood up in a hurry, knocking over the chair in the process.

The table holds several books of maritime tales, a bird book, a repair manual for the lighthouse, a pipe and a pouch of tobacco, a sketchbook, pencils, watercolor paints, paintbrushes, and paper.
    What appears to be a recently finished watercolor also sits on the table beside a neat stack of other paintings. Something seems off about it, but you're not entirely sure why...

The writing desk also has two drawers. The left-hand one is open, but there is a key snapped off inside its lock. Inside the open drawer is a strange wooden box, while above the drawer is the now-open roll-top, which contains a half-empty, still warm mug of coffee and lots of stationary: envelopes, stamps, paper, bottles of ink, and pens. A mess of invoices for coin appraisals from a variety of Rockport antique stores litter the rest of the desktop; the quotes range from two to five dollars, and all are dated late February 1926.
    Under a large coin catalog are several letters from further afield antique stores, librarians, and universities. Each letter begins with “Dear Mr. Cassidy,” followed by an apology, explaining that the sender is unable to determine the origin of the coins described in the received correspondence; however, all of the letters state they are keen to see an actual sample so that they can carry out a proper, thorough analysis.
    The letters are largely in chronological order; the first is dated March 8th, 1926, while the latest is dated April 2nd, 1926. This last one is from a Miss Anna Tilton of the Newburyport Society.

Spoiler: Successful Language (English) Roll
    Show
    April 2nd, 1926.

Dear Mr. Cassidy,

Thank you for your letter dated February 28th of this year.

I do, indeed, recognize the coin you described. Or, at least, I recognize the style of decoration, for we have a piece of similar origin here in our museum in Newburyport. As a result, I suspect your coin hails from nearby Innsmouth, and only the locals of that benighted town could tell you its true worth—to them, at least.

However, if you value your immortal soul, I strongly caution you against contacting any denizens of that place. No good ever came from dealings with Innsmouth. Instead, the Newburyport Society would be glad to purchase any coins you may have from you at market value, once their authenticity has been confirmed.

If you would care to make arrangements to visit me here at the Society's Museum at your earliest convenience, then I can arrange to have our appraiser examine the coins, whereupon we can agree a fair price for the sale.

Again, Mr. Cassidy, I urge you most strongly not to approach anyone in Innsmouth about your find. It really is for the best of all concerned.

Yours sincerely,

Miss Pinna Tilton

Light also spills from the study into the hallway, allowing for you to notice a light switch on the wall of the hall.

17. - Top - End - #47

DruidGirl

Show
    Track: (d100)[51]

As the chill sets in, Dean starts to think he won’t be able to find the trail in this storm. And then he realizes: Wait, those animal tracks were heading IN!

He hurried back toward the house, hoping Walter hasn’t been eaten by whatever kind of wild animal lives on ...New England’s islands? Weird.

When he gets back, he’ll try the door; if it’s locked he’ll start knocking loudly and calling for Walter.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-09 at 02:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Beholder

Spoiler: Walter
    Show

Walter is going to take a quick look around to see if he sees any strange coins referenced by the letter - after all, it could have been a robbery. (1d00)[1](1)

Then, he’ll turn on the other light switch and start securing the house.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please do not make a roll unless I ask for you to make one. I know it can be tempting, but I do not wish to penalize Fumbles when they aren't required, but on the flipside that means I cannot give credit for critical successes either.
    ----

Show
    There are most definitely no signs of any strange coins in the study (you are sure of this fact). The only strange things at all appear to be the aforementioned watercolor and the wooden box. Thus, you turn on the light switch to the hallway. As the light turns on you, the first thing you notice are three coat hooks by the door, only one of which currently has a well-worn oilskin hanging from it. Two pairs of galoshes stand in a shallow tray just beneath the coat hooks; there is space for another pair, while a pair of indoor shoes sits beside the tray. Two oil lanterns hang from hooks next to the oilskin; there is also an empty hook, suggesting one lamp is missing.

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You happen to notice a glint that falls upon something in the hallway in the flicker of the lights - two bullets lodged in the hallway floor.

Spoiler: Successful Subsequent Combined Firearms (Handgun) or Hard Intelligence Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    You realize that someone must have been positioned farther down the hallway, and maybe at an upward angle too? Off the floor perhaps?

There's also some sort of liquid farther down the hall, on the second door on the left (the study is the first door on the left), and something glimmers inside of it. However, you're too far away to tell exactly what.
    There are two other doors on the other side of the cottage (right side). The closest one being quite large, while the one farther down the corridor being much smaller in size.

Regardless, you lock the door and begin to do your best to secure the house. However, as soon as you begin you hear the door turn, followed by heavy knocks and a loud call over the falling rain from outside. "Walter? It's me! Dean! Let me in!"

Show
    The door is, in fact, locked. So you call out and knock on the door for Walter to let you in.

20. - Top - End - #50

Beholder

Spot Hidden Roll - (1d100)[33](33)

21. - Top - End - #51

Beholder

Spoiler: Subsequent Roll
    Show
    Roll - (1d100)[30](30) Firearms/Hard Idea

Keeping that in the back of his mind, Walter comes back to the doorway and opens it up for Dean, letting him in quickly.

“Did you find anything out there?”
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-12-10 at 06:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

DruidGirl

(So sorry for the delay, folks... crazy week.)

Still catching his breath, Dean replies, "No... lost the tracks...but, I realized... the animal prints were coming in. Wanted to let you know --something's in the house."
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-13 at 07:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Earthen, you've already seen this, but for Zene...

Also, in terms of posting, you're all good. I myself am quite sick and so my posting rate will be more sporadic than usual.

----

As you enter you realize that the light in the hallway is now on, the first thing you notice are three coat hooks by the door, only one of which currently has a well-worn oilskin hanging from it. Two pairs of galoshes stand in a shallow tray just beneath the coat hooks; there is space for another pair, while a pair of indoor shoes sits beside the tray. Two oil lanterns hang from hooks next to the oilskin; there is also an empty hook, suggesting one lamp is missing.

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    You happen to notice a glint that falls upon something in the hallway in the flicker of the lights - two bullets lodged in the hallway floor.

Spoiler: Successful Subsequent Combined Firearms (Handgun) or Hard Intelligence Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    You realize that someone must have been positioned farther down the hallway, and maybe at an upward angle too? Off the floor perhaps?

There's also some sort of liquid farther down the hall, near the second door on the left (the study is the first door on the left), and something glimmers inside of it. However, you're too far away to tell exactly what.
    There are two other doors on the other side of the cottage (right side). The closest one being quite large, while the one farther down the corridor being much smaller in size.
    ----

Obviously Earthen you shouldn't make any rolls again (not that you really need to).

24. - Top - End - #54

DruidGirl

Spot Hidden: (d100)[83]

25. - Top - End - #55

DruidGirl

Dean steps toward the pooled liquid, trying to see more detail.

"Did you find anything while I was outside?"
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-12-16 at 01:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dean steps past the first set of doors towards the other two and kneels down before the liquid gathered by the door on his left.

Show
    As you're traveling you also notice that this is near where the cottage portion ends the lighthouse begins, as demonstrated by the massive staircase. Inside the liquid, you do happen to see three largish yellow coins discarded in its contents. This realization, however, is worsened when you understand exactly what the liquid is: blood. A horrid trail of blood leads from inside the room past the doorway and to the stairs.
    ----

Please give me a Sanity roll.

27. - Top - End - #57

DruidGirl

Show
    Blood money!
    Sanity: (d100)[80]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dean suddenly stumbles back away from the liquid and glaring at the puddle before him, all while slumped against a wall in order to catch his breath. Something is clearly quite discomforting for him.

Show
    You have lost 1 Sanity for seeing a trail of blood...

29. - Top - End - #59

Beholder

Walter nods, gesturing towards the frame where he found the two bullets.

“I was just going to go take a look at those when you came back.”

Walter walks towards those. At any sounds other than himself or Dean in the house, though, and he is going to draw his sidearm.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    At the gesture towards the bullets, you happen to notice a glint that falls upon something in the hallway in the flicker of the lights - two bullets lodged in the floor of the hall.

Spoiler: Successful Combined Firearms (Handgun) or Hard Intelligence Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    You realize that someone must have been positioned farther down the hallway, and maybe at an upward angle too? From the stairs perhaps?

Walter walks into the middle of the hall, in-between the study and where Dean is currently backed against the wall catching his breath, to observe the bullets. As he's traveling he also notices that roughly past the pool of liquid with the glinting is where the cottage portion ends the lighthouse begins, as demonstrated by the massive staircase.

Regardless, Walter bends over and begins examining the rounds.

Show
    Based on your previous guess that the bullets were fired at an angle, could someone have been shooting from the staircase?

Spoiler: Successful Combined Firearms (Handgun) or Hard Know (Education) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    These bullets are .32 caliber.