Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon OOC

Greetings EarthenRite and Zene, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you both shall take on the roles of an intrepid Investigators of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the cooperative aspects of the game, having played the quick-start adventure. Prepare to begin the more well-known aspects of a one-off scenario. I will run these intermittently between the normal "campaign" as sort of "spin-off" adventures. This scenario specifically is a mystery/horror story set in 1926 where you both shall be present.

Anyway, without further ado, grab a blanket, tuck yourself in, listen to the calming sound of the waves, and join the In-Character!

Spoiler: Repository of Video Links I've Sent So Far
    Show
    Introduction: Seth CJ
    Skills and Characteristics: Seth CJ
    Recovery and Improvement: Seth CJ
    Sanity: Seth CJ
    Combat: Seth CJ

Also your character sheets should have been sent to you over Private Messaging (you may ask me about any questions you have).
    In addition, something that might be useful sorting everything out are Note Repositories (Zene you should have yours), but here's EarthenRite's!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: EarthenRite and Zene's The Lightless Beacon OOC

My character will be called Walter Scully. He works as a security guard / night watchman at the docks.

3. - Top - End - #3

Beholder

And, I forgot to roll in my IC -

(3d6)[3][5][2](10) x 5 = 50
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-11-20 at 04:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Huh... I guess you both have the same Luck... interesting.

This also brings me to my next point. One important mechanic that I am introducing from this game onwards is Spending Luck. On any skill or characteristic roll, Luck points may be spent on a 1 for 1 basis. Luck points cannot, however, be spent on Luck rolls, Sanity rolls, or Damage rolls (non-damage rolls made in combat are still on the table though). You may only alter your rolls and as long as you have enough luck you may spend as much as you'd like. You may not spend Luck on a Pushed roll, you can either Push or spend Luck. Lastly, if you Fumble (96-100 on a difficulty < 50, 100 on a difficulty > 50) you cannot spend Luck either.

Normally, Luck points don't allow for you to tick a skill, but I disagree and I'm fine with that (in the same way that I'm fine with one ticking if they succeed due to a Bonus Die).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-20 at 05:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Huh... I guess you both have the same Luck... interesting.

This also brings me to my next point. One important mechanic that I am introducing from this game onwards is Spending Luck. On any skill or characteristic roll, Luck points may be spent on a 1 for 1 basis. Luck points cannot, however, be spent on Luck rolls, Sanity rolls, or Damage rolls (non-damage rolls made in combat are still on the table though). You may only alter your rolls and as long as you have enough luck you may spend as much as you'd like. You may not spend Luck on a Pushed roll, you can either Push or spend Luck. Lastly, if you Fumble (96-100 on a difficulty < 50, 100 on a difficulty > 50) you cannot spend Luck either.

Normally, Luck points don't allow for you to tick a skill, but I disagree and I'm fine with that (in the same way that I'm fine with one ticking if they succeed due to a Bonus Die).
    Ok cool. I think I understand all those terms : )
    Can you remind me, do Luck points ever regain or increase? Or are the gone for good, once spent? Like, am I permanently reducing my Luck score each time I use one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So that's actually up for the Keeper to choose. However, I'm a fan of high-pulp-but-not-to-the-point-of-pulp Cthulhu which essentially is operating under the assumption that despite all of you being "average people" you may be marginally (literally just slightly) above average (hence why I'm ok with ticks from spending luck and bonus dice). This mentality also means that at the end of any scenario you may make a Luck Improvement roll which functions just like any other Improvement roll with the exception that it increases your Luck. Even if you spent no Luck you can still make a roll to improve it (although it can never be higher than 99).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Earthen, did you forget the roll?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

See the above post, Earthen, but also a reminder that a Combined roll means that you only roll one d100 and compare it against both skills. So the 92 is applicable for the comparison towards the Know and the Spot Hidden (which should be a failure in both). Admittedly, you've already probably looked at the spoiler already... ah well, next time, then.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I should note that whomever attempts the Pushed roll first is the person whose result I shall take.
    Just wanted to make that clear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Given that these are one-off characters, there is no need to care about which skills you succeed in. I just wanted to clarify that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EarthenRite View Post
    Walter glanced at the tracks before looking back to the house. They didnít really spark any recognition for him. Maybe a bird or the keeperís pet? It could get lonely at a lighthouse, he guessed.
    I wanted to clarify that there are two sets of tracks, one human and one non-human. Just in the case that it wasn't clear (also I'm noting this because both of you succeeded, so it's ok).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-12-03 at 11:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I am currently waiting for Walter's action, as what happens next hinges on what he does.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-12-09 at 02:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Sorry, I had rolled the firearms check previously and passed so I thought it was OK

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's all good. I assumed that's what had happened. I had hoped that the difference between the Intelligence and Education might have made it clear it was a different roll, but it's ok