Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Classic Adventure(3.5)

So, I'm itching to run a classic adventure style 3.5 game. A small group of 4 or 5 characters vs the armies of evil. Not a massaive war game, but a more character focus.

A small gnome kingdom has been invaded. The armies of good tried to free it, and failed. Now, a gnome cleric has escaped to find help: the PCs. Again, not a war game, and most likely not the PCs vs the army in a gig battle feild.....but more a couple of medium tatical strikes.

So 4 or 5 players 3.5 D&D right here on this site. 10th level. And any 3.5 and open source things and homebrew. There is tons of stuff in dozens of books I want to use in a game. So, just make whatever character you want.

I'm looking for a combat heavy and adventure filled game that is a struggle. So if you want to make some sort of over powered character...well don't bother.

Also I'm not keen on trying to read and learn a whole new system, so don't bother with yhings like classes that have dozen of pages of rules.

Other then that, make what you want.....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Classic Adventure(3.5)

Simple game, good. Posting interest.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

So you would be okay with a dervish?

Iíve always loved the class, but never had the chance to actually get to the PrC.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

wink Re: Classic Adventure(3.5)

Sounds good to me! Ill build a binder/cloistered cleric/ordained champion, who is a melee

Edit - no matter, not enough BaB. Ill figure out something else

Edit 2 - Ill either build something with consecrated harrier, or a cabinet trickster changeling
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2019-11-21 at 01:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Posting interest warlock.

Request to use this fix. If not thatís fine, just need to know which route to build.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Base-Class-WIP

Do we have xp available for crafting?

Edit: hey lentrax, try combining dervish with dual life draining scimitars, blood in the water martial stance, and swift hunter (adds skirmish damage to favored enemies). Fun times. Not sure if you can get it all in 10 levels tho.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-11-21 at 04:57 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Might put together a gnome wizard or other arcanists interested in retaking the homeland.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am going to try a fun build. Either a lucky based build going into swifthunter or shadowcaster or hexblade. Are 3.0 sources, hexblade unofficial fix, shadowcaster unofficial fix and dragon magazine available?
    Last edited by Yas392; 2019-11-21 at 06:06 AM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Gm

Can I take the eidolon class without previous levels in another class? (Since the 3.5 update to ghostwalk states the template is +0 LA)

Edit - so apperantly eidolons are an a or nothing deal...Ill have to see what full BaB class to use for my warshaper entrance levels
    Last edited by Heavenblade; 2019-11-21 at 07:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRangerGuy

Always interested in a higher level 3.5 game.

Does the game use fractional bab/saves?
    Does the game use flaws/traits?
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm interested, but it's like more info on character building lol.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Expressing interest, but would also like more info on what is & isn't allowed in character building (the aforementioned traits/flaws for starters).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Tony View Post
    So, I'm itching to run a classic adventure style 3.5 game. A small group of 4 or 5 characters vs the armies of evil. Not a massaive war game, but a more character focus.

A small gnome kingdom has been invaded. The armies of good tried to free it, and failed. Now, a gnome cleric has escaped to find help: the PCs. Again, not a war game, and most likely not the PCs vs the army in a gig battle feild.....but more a couple of medium tatical strikes.

So 4 or 5 players 3.5 D&D right here on this site. 10th level. And any 3.5 and open source things and homebrew. There is tons of stuff in dozens of books I want to use in a game. So, just make whatever character you want.

I'm looking for a combat heavy and adventure filled game that is a struggle. So if you want to make some sort of over powered character...well don't bother.

Also I'm not keen on trying to read and learn a whole new system, so don't bother with yhings like classes that have dozen of pages of rules.

Other then that, make what you want.....
    here is a standard questionnaire that most GM's use to help prospective players with character creation and avoids a lot of questions

Spoiler: The Big 16 or The Big Sixteen
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

my questions other than those already asked.
    is leadership allowed
    are races with RHD and or LA allowed
    are templates allowed
    how do you rule the various elemental & other domains with the same wordage as turn undead uses to work when it comes to providing fuel for something like divine metamagic (persist)

I have a few concepts that I would play pending all of the above
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-11-21 at 09:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

My bad I missed the level, but yea there are other things that covers that will eventually be questions.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Droid Tony & Thundercracker The last post in mammon's Azrael's warlock thread is the updated table I posted long ago if you want a better glimpse of what it is all about.

I am looking to be a melee Support character, and am wondering if this Dragon Shaman re-tool is OK?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Iíve always loved the class, but never had the chance to actually get to the PrC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Edit: hey lentrax, try combining dervish with dual life draining scimitars, blood in the water martial stance, and swift hunter (adds skirmish damage to favored enemies). Fun times. Not sure if you can get it all in 10 levels tho.
    I have a class layout for this that works but it is not the only way to get into Dervish - and 2 on a battle field - Tag team

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

How do we determine stats? Roll or point buy?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingPirate

Posting Interest!, maybe requesting Roguetotum homebrew
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post

It's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post

Request to use this fix. If not thatís fine, just need to know which route to build.

Do we have xp available for crafting?
    Again, I don't want to read and look over a whole new class...so no.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    I am going to try a fun build. Either a lucky based build going into swifthunter or shadowcaster or hexblade. Are 3.0 sources, hexblade unofficial fix, shadowcaster unofficial fix and dragon magazine available?
    Yes x4

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post

Does the game use fractional bab/saves?
    Does the game use flaws/traits?
    Don't even know what the first one is. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Expressing interest, but would also like more info on what is & isn't allowed in character building (the aforementioned traits/flaws for starters).
    Well, I'd like to play a fun action packed adventure game.

I'd like to find players that want to do that also : Play a game to complete a quest: in this case free a kingdom from an evil army.

I really would like for players just to make intresting fun characters to go on an adventure....but not demi god broken optimized monstrosities. I would just like for players to police themselves without me nitpicking over every tiny detail. I guess a good guidline might be: whatever you pick for your character will be very common in the game world and at least every other foe and creature will have it too. So, feel free to pick any race or class or feat or spell or magic item or whatever....as long as you accept that nearly the whole world will also have that too and use it against you. If you feel that might be too powerful or whatever, then don't pick that thing.

I have tons of D&D and d20 books, with tons and tons of things I have never used. Well, I'd like to use them. But I'm not trying to run a 'everything in the world is epic so your character just auto dies'.
    Last edited by Droid Tony; 2019-11-21 at 03:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

...So how do we determine stats? Point Buy? Roll 4d6 six times, take the best, or what?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

I really would like for players just to make intresting fun characters to go on an adventure....but not demi god broken optimized monstrosities. I would just like for players to police themselves without me nitpicking over every tiny detail. I guess a good guidline might be: whatever you pick for your character will be very common in the game world and at least every other foe and creature will have it too. So, feel free to pick any race or class or feat or spell or magic item or whatever....as long as you accept that nearly the whole world will also have that too and use it against you. If you feel that might be too powerful or whatever, then don't pick that thing.

Kind of a problem with my character, fluff wise...Ill see what I can do

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

First can you do us the pleasure of answering these
    The Big Sixteen
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    next none of my questions were answered..??

is leadership allowed
    are templates allowed
    how do you rule the various elemental & other domains with the same wordage as turn undead uses to work when it comes to providing fuel for something like divine metamagic (persist)

next
    in unearthed arcana the book presents rules for fractional bab/saves, UA page 73 - Fractional Base Bonuses - some gm's use it others do not.

edit
    notation by saying feel free to pick any race or class or feat or spell or magic item or whatever - you open the door for a lot of interpretation and getting X number of builders to self regulate without the above questions answered is almost impossible
    WBL for level 10 is 49,000 gp
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-11-21 at 05:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm interested. What's the big 16 rule for this game anyway?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

WIP sheet: Nathaniel Candleston

I'll type up backstory details tomorrow and add items/make other necessary changes when such things become clear. Stats rn are standard array, will change if requested.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm potentially interested, not sure what as yet.

In addition to some of the other questions posed, I just have one general one: you say homebrew is ok, but you don't want to learn new classes. Can you provide us a list of homebrew with which you're familiar? I don't want to waste either of our time requesting brew you're not interested in learning Or is it just 'brew with new systems you don't like? ie, if I requested a class that doesn't involve a new subsystem, it'd likely be ok? Something like, as an examples, RoC's Blasphemous Preacher, which is basically the Alienist PrC + Binder?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    ...So how do we determine stats? Point Buy? Roll 4d6 six times, take the best, or what?
    Again, make the character you want. I would hope you could make a reasonable character that is not broken or over powered. Like if you hear 'make what you want" and say 'ok, all my character stats are 40....well, this is not the right game for you.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    is leadership allowed
    are templates allowed
    Well, leadership takes us back to the army vs army, and I thought I was clear I did not want a massive war game.
    Yes
    Yes
    All the same

next
    in unearthed arcana the book presents rules for fractional bab/saves, UA page 73 - Fractional Base Bonuses - some gm's use it others do not.
    I'm a not then

edit
    notation by saying feel free to pick any race or class or feat or spell or magic item or whatever - you open the door for a lot of interpretation and getting X number of builders to self regulate without the above questions answered is almost impossible
    WBL for level 10 is 49,000 gp
    Well, I was kind of hoping people could self regulate. It seems to me that if you have a ton of technical questions, you're not really planning to self regulate.

WBL is a good example. Some people think it's so great...but then things across D&D and d20 are all crazy priced. One book has a flower pot that grows a flower at 100,000 gold, and another has an amulet that auto distenergates all within 100 feet DC40 for 10,000 gold. So really, this only matters to the people that want to try and sneak over powered and broken items in and then hide behind the ''oh I followed the WBL" as they snicker.

So, really, I'd like to just get past that. You want to waste your time and make a character with 25 artifiacts, go right ahead: I'll never pick that character to game. You want to try and sneak in all sorts of under priced and/or broken magic items: same thing.

Again, just imagine that whatever items your character has at least HALF the foes you face will have that or better. If that sounds fine to you, then it will be ok in the game. If you think that fighting 12 dogs with force armor +40 and 16 presisted spells is ''too much", then it's also too much for your character.

Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post

In addition to some of the other questions posed, I just have one general one: you say homebrew is ok, but you don't want to learn new classes. Can you provide us a list of homebrew with which you're familiar? I don't want to waste either of our time requesting brew you're not interested in learning Or is it just 'brew with new systems you don't like? ie, if I requested a class that doesn't involve a new subsystem, it'd likely be ok? Something like, as an examples, RoC's Blasphemous Preacher, which is basically the Alienist PrC + Binder?
    Well, for homebrew classes, I avoid the ones that are basicaly learning a whole new sub system. I like to stick with basic D&D like rules. I'd like a more fast paced adventure game, not a scroll through walls of text to figure out what a character did.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

So, really, I'd like to just get past that. You want to waste your time and make a character with 25 artifiacts, go right ahead: I'll never pick that character to game. You want to try and sneak in all sorts of under priced and/or broken magic items: same thing.

Again, just imagine that whatever items your character has at least HALF the foes you face will have that or better. If that sounds fine to you, then it will be ok in the game. If you think that fighting 12 dogs with force armor +40 and 16 presisted spells is ''too much", then it's also too much for your character.
    @Droid Tony
    I will present 2 characters 1 of which may be selected

@Everyone Building Characters
    okay I am going out on a limb here, as the gm has decided to not do a big 16 and this is important
    Stats: 4d6b3 or 32 point buy if the rolls suck
    max hp at 1st, avg or roll all others.

and we will see what occurs with gear from everyone
    my rolls
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    edit sucktastic useing 32 point buy i will be
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-11-22 at 02:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Again, make the character you want. I would hope you could make a reasonable character that is not broken or over powered. Like if you hear 'make what you want" and say 'ok, all my character stats are 40....well, this is not the right game for you.
    So like this game where you write your stats but it has to be within reasonable bounds?

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

Ill build a spellthief wand user...the concept is a mystical adept who bieves that arcane magic shouldn't be toyed around eith, and he takes the power from "people who don't deserve it".

Might go with a cannith wand adept but not sure since it interrupts many of my abilities.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Ill build a spellthief wand user...the concept is a mystical adept who bieves that arcane magic shouldn't be toyed around eith, and he takes the power from "people who don't deserve it".

Might go with a cannith wand adept but not sure since it interrupts many of my abilities.
    Weíre going to get along great :)
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

well for what it is worth these are my main ideas that I asked about
    character 1:Yorl does not use wealth by level
    character 2:Tina uses wealth by level
    character 3:Helina does not use wealth by level

edit took a bit to get the mechanics worked out
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-11-22 at 05:13 PM.