Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Tentreto's Alone Against the Flames OOC

Greetings Tentreto, and welcome to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now, one important thing to note is that this game is not Dungeons & Dragons. You are not a hero, you are not a being who is eventually able to snap your fingers and cast Wish or attack nine times with a massive sword in the span of six seconds, you are an ordinary person, and just like ordinary people, you may become heavily injured (HP isn't just something that magically returns with a quick nap), suffer sanity-shattering experiences, or even die! However, someone has to make a stand against the horrors of the mythos, and the death or insanity of a single human matters little if it means postponing the eventual enslavement of humanity.

However, you may be one of the lucky ones who survive your encounters with unearthly beings, gaining knowledge of the horrors outside of our reality, power from volumes of arcane lore, and advancement in your skills as you become more experienced. You will (most likely) never reach the point of superhuman abilities akin to D&D or Pathfinder, but you can achieve something greater than the average of your kind.

Now that you understand the most basic themeatic aspects of the game, prepare to journey onto your first adventure -- Alone Against the Flames! This is a horror story set in the 1920s where you are the main character. For the purposes of walking you through the story I will offer prompts and suggestions below each of my In-Character posts, but if you're feeling foolish confident feel free to forge your own path!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, set up a nice fire, and join the In-Character! Actually, on second thought, don't get too close to the fire.

In addition, you may (no requirement) watch this video or this one (and I'd only watch these two) for some additional content regarding Call of Cthulhu as a game system. You also mentioned being able to post daily or so, try to maintain that. I am quite fast-paced compared to most other GMs/DMs out there in PbP land. Finally, try (for obvious reasons) not to look at any other player's games, just so that you will not be spoiled!
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-28 at 03:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Tentreto's Alone Against the Flames OOC

So, technically speaking, you can be a criminal or something similar, but... going to a new city, leaving the small town behind to make a life of crime is a bit... confusing? If you really want to pursue that, I'm not going to stop you, but I'd recommend for your first time erring on the side of "classic Cthulhu." There will be plenty of other opportunities later for being on the "other side of the law" as it is called.
    Cartographer could work, as could musician, but again, just to clarify: this isn't D&D. Your character is called an "Investigator" for a reason, as opposed to the title of a "Hero" (or "Antihero" for that matter).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Immediately going off the path. That always seems to happen with me.

I think I'll go for Cartographer then. Has actual investigation skills and useful background knowledge.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close the sun

Playing as the Dunem in Empire 5

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't worry, that's not actually an issue and it happens more often than you think. I just want to make sure that you're building the right character for the right game, in the same vein that building a Cartographer in D&D might be a little bit of a weird idea (although feasible).

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, that all sounds fine. She obviously wants to get to higher positions, but getting a position as a de facto cartographer is a good start for her.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, awesome. She's on the young side, so it makes sense that all that she'd get at this point would probably be an assistant position.

Maybe one day she will get that position (assuming nothing bad happens to her along the way).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Alone Against the Flames. Your character has forever been changed by what they've experienced in Emberhead, and they might not ever be the same. Nevertheless, they will most likely improve!

You succeeded in the following skill rolls: Charm, Library Use, Listen, Natural World, Navigate, Psychology, and Spot Hidden. For each skill please give me a roll, however, your goal is to fail instead of succeed. If you fail, it's representative of you understanding that there's some way that you could have improved and you may add a d10 to that skill's rating.

Once that happens, if you had fun (I hope so ) we can continue into the next adventure: Paper Chase (which is freeform instead of being more on a railroad like this one was). You may also read all of the other forums relating to Alone Against the Flames here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained (basically my repository for all of your links so I don't have to keep looking them up online [also don't read the future ones]).

8. - Top - End - #8

Thanks for doing that for me. I would very much like to continue on. My luck was good everywhere except my Dex, my highest, but with the amount of stupidly low numbers I rolled, I'll take it. Hazel cut it incredibly fine I feel. Those last few rolls were intense.

I'll roll out these an see what I get out. Do I need to make my own sheet yet, or will you still have it?

Charm (1d100)[3]
    Library Use (1d100)[60]
    Listen (1d100)[40]
    Natural World (1d100)[25]
    Navigate (1d100)[38]
    Psychology (1d100)[82]
    Spot Hidden (1d100)[45]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well from those rolls you failed in Listen and Psychology, so roll a d10 for each. Once that's done I should be able to give you your sheet.

10. - Top - End - #10

Thats good then. I finally can see what on earth my Strength was as well.

Listen (1d10)[3]
    Psychology (1d10)[9]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And thus we have the beginnings of your character, which can be found here!

I'll give you some time to read over all of that, and then I'll have an OOC and an IC set up soon for the next adventure (also to give me a quick break, this was quite a fast-paced scenario [and don't get me wrong, I love a fast pace] and I just need a little bit of time to make sure I'm giving the same amount of care and attention to all of my other games).

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm fine with that as well. I'm probably going to be a bit more descriptive in my Posts than before, so that will slow things down a bit.

13. - Top - End - #13

I was just reading over the character sheet, and I think I should probably have higher than base Sleight of Hand, seeing as I chose it as one of my skills. What should it be at?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's been edited. It's at 30. Sorry about that, I could've sworn I got all of them, but apparently not.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And thus you can find your newest adventure here!