New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How to prevent one of Talakeal's Gaming Horror Stories: PC Edition

In regards to the GM being wrong... the thing is, the GM and players have the right to be wrong or right. IF they interpret the rules wrong, as a designer you should take note of that and see if you should change something in how the rules are presented.

The fact that you are also a player in this scenario is... complicated.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    So basically, we had one session where I got tired of trying to please everyone and just played for myself, which resulted in everyone passive aggressively sabotaging everyone else, the group TPKing due to lack of cooperation, and then the group breaking down into an OOC screaming match. When everyone calmed down, we decided to retcon the session and have everyone remake their characters to work better as a group. We played two sessions with the reworked characters, and it seems to be going ok. Then the quarantine happened and the game has been postponed indefinitely.
    I think we pretty much all saw this coming.

The hiatus will probably be a good thing, either for you or for the others in the group. I trust you have other options for your time?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry for the long delay in responding. These are strange times and I don't have the opportunity to post from work anymore, and I don't think about gaming as much without a weekly group.

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Why don't you join an online game?, I have joined a few, even my irl group moved to discord since the corona virus attacked.

Anyway the benefit is that the initial compromise is super low, you can leave whenever you wish and no hard feeling.

In fact, you could create one right now, and many people here will probably join you, even out of curiosity.
    I have tried online gaming several times, I have never really gotten into it. I am a very quiet player, and also a very tactile one. This, combined with the lack of actual people around me and the plurality of distractions in my room make it very hard to actually get into the game or even keep track of what is going on.

We actually did an online game started from one of these threads a couple years ago. It went perfectly fine, but because of the medium it was really hard for me to get invested, and when it began to conflict with IRL problems I dropped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Curious about the reworked characters - what were they, and what do you think made them work?.
    Basically, Bob has had a necromancer character that he has been wanting to play for years, and as I wanted to playtest the necromancy rules I suggested he use it. It turns out, that character had all sorts of psychological baggage attached to it that I wasn't aware of. We decided we couldn't make it work in a group, and he made a different necromancer who also has less mechanical overlap with our fairy bard.

I slightly tweaked my character mechanically, but also changed my backstory so that I have a history with Bob's new necromancer and a reason to work with and want to protect her.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Is Bob right on #1? You made the game - cab you rework it for #2? Remove all 1-shot items, and all need for one-shot items from the game? Still, if Bob won't pony up for party expenses, that points to Bob being a ****. But, to prove which is which, you need to make "party expenses" into permanent items: faster horses, banners of +x to fame, beds of expeditious rest, reusable coffin/shroud of Restoration or Resurrection, whatever, rather than his pet peeve of expendables.
    Sure, I could make the game easier, but I don't think it would be fun for myself as a player or a GM. We have talked extensively on this forum about what the ideal difficulty is in the previous iterations of this thread. I personally think its in a good spot, with a close call every four or five sessions and an actual failure occurring once every 20 sessions or so, but Bob clearly does not.

Right now treasure exists as sort of a "score". You try and get as much treasure and expend as few resources as possible. That is how the game is set up. Without that risk, it becomes much more of a binary pass / fail. Bob see's any adventure where he doesn't come out of it proportionally wealthier than he went in as a failure.

I have tried other alternatives in the past, but that tends to stress out the other players. For example, I had one mission where cultists had kidnapped multiple people and were hoping to sacrifice them, and the players had to rescue as many as possible, but in that case they felt that not rescuing all of them was a horrible failure and felt terrible.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.