Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Mobves' Alone Against the Flames OOC

Greetings Mobves, and welcome to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now, one important thing to note is that this game is not Dungeons & Dragons. You are not a hero, you are not a being who is eventually able to snap your fingers and cast Wish or attack nine times with a massive sword in the span of six seconds, you are an ordinary person, and just like ordinary people, you may become heavily injured (HP isn't just something that magically returns with a quick nap), suffer sanity-shattering experiences, or even die! However, someone has to make a stand against the horrors of the mythos, and the death or insanity of a single human matters little if it means postponing the eventual enslavement of humanity.

However, you may be one of the lucky ones who survive your encounters with unearthly beings, gaining knowledge of the horrors outside of our reality, power from volumes of arcane lore, and advancement in your skills as you become more experienced. You will (most likely) never reach the point of superhuman abilities akin to D&D or Pathfinder, but you can achieve something greater than the average of your kind.

Now that you understand the basic themeatic aspects of the game, prepare to journey onto your first adventure -- Alone Against the Flames! This is a horror story set in the 1920s where you are the main character. For the purposes of walking you through the story I will offer prompts and suggestions below each of my In-Character posts, but if you're feeling foolish confident feel free to forge your own path!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, set up a nice fire, and join the In-Character! Actually, on second thought, don't get too close to the fire.

In addition, you may (no requirement) watch this video or this one (and I'd only watch these two) for some additional content regarding Call of Cthulhu as a game system. Also, please try your best to post as often as possible. I myself reply readily, so there is very rarely a pace that is too fast for me. Finally, try (for obvious reasons) not to look at any other player's games, just so that you will not be spoiled!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Mobves' Alone Against the Flames OOC

Thanks so much, this is loads of fun so far.

How about a member of the clergy for Jerome's modest profession? Would that be possible? Looking at the characteristic lineup I picked more or less on a whim I think it would be interesting to play a priest whose faith is questioned!!!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That is, in fact, an option! What sort of faith would Jerome be of?

4. - Top - End - #4

Jerome is Baptist. He recently finished his theological studies at Plymouth State University.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Something that should be noted is that your chosen Education is of someone who graduated High School, so just keep in mind that apparently you didn't learn too much in the way of actual information at Plymouth State.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Something that should be noted is that your chosen Education is of someone who graduated High School, so just keep in mind that apparently you didn't learn too much in the way of actual information at Plymouth State.
    Haha, alright. Perhaps we can say that Jerome's Power stat is high because he stayed up late praying when he should have been studying.

Should I respond to Silas in the IC thread now?

edit: i just refreshed that thread, nevermind !!
    Last edited by Mobves; 2019-11-25 at 01:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Makes sense to me! Also, no need. You're all good. Sorry, I was constructing the post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Erm... are you sure that three of your choices are going to be about the sciences? It's fine if that's what you want, but there are a lot of other options. It's also important to note that the sciences do help one another. Knowledge in one of the sciences generally does assist in the others.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-25 at 02:29 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm ... alright, I'll take your advice ! An edit is coming presently.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Note that itís not required at all in the slightest. Itís more that I donít want you to feel ineffectual because you have a bunch of sciences and theyíre utilized in a somewhat interchangeable fashion (not entirely interchangeable, mind you, but nevertheless the point still stands).

11. - Top - End - #11

Yeah, I catch your drift. I've cautioned a first-time D&D player against playing a bard who specializes in two-weapon-fighting before

The edit is live, by the way!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, in the case that you're wondering why I post so quickly, I've run this through on giantitp a lot and so I have a lot of information that I can copy and paste over. That's not to say I don't care about your responses, just in certain cases, I have a particular post already lined up that I consider suitable.

13. - Top - End - #13

I've been impressed with how quickly you post. It's made for a good time so far. The way you run so many games is really amazing!!! I seriously appreciate the open door into CoC. I'm very excited to see what Mr. Lance gets up to in the town of Emberhead

14. - Top - End - #14

How many people are in the group headed towards the church? Is it closer to two, or closer to four?

Furthermore: what are the people in the church group like? Exactly how much bigger than me are they? Do they have visible weapons?
    Last edited by Mobves; 2019-11-29 at 02:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You spot four, in fact, they look eerily similar... as they get closer you also see that they are armed (with farm implements, clubs, and the like).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-29 at 02:42 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Alone Against the Flames. Your character has forever been changed by what they've experienced in Emberhead, and they might not ever be the same. Nevertheless, they will most likely improve!

You succeeded in the following skill rolls: Drive Auto, Spot Hidden, and Stealth. For each skill please give me a roll, however, your goal is to fail instead of succeed. If you fail, it's representative of you understanding that there's some way that you could have improved and you may add a d10 to that skill's rating.

Once that happens, if you had fun (I hope so ) we can continue into the next adventure: Paper Chase (which is freeform instead of being more on a railroad like this one was). You may also read all of the other forums relating to Alone Against the Flames here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained (basically my repository for all of your links so I don't have to keep looking them up online [also don't read the future ones]).

17. - Top - End - #17

excellent!! thanks so much for this experience. again, i appreciate you taking the time to introduce me to the game.

here are some rolls !!!

drive auto: (1d100)[40]
    spot hidden: (1d100)[30]
    stealth: (1d100)[75]

i'd definitely be down for round two. a more freeform game sounds great!

is Paper Chase another one-person adventure?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course! I was happy to help. As for Paper Chase, it is in fact still a one-person adventure. Nevertheless, you failed in Drive Auto and Stealth which means you may roll d10's for both of those to see how much you improve by!

19. - Top - End - #19

drive auto: (1d10)[1]
    & stealth: (1d10)[4]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I just realized you also failed Spot Hidden too, so make a roll for that. Sorry!

21. - Top - End - #21

4 & 1... i really needed those low numbers a few rolls ago !!!

here's spot hidden! (1d10)[1]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

... Another 1! Anyway, with all of that done here's your character!

I'll give you some time to read over all of that, and then I'll have an OOC and an IC set up soon for the next adventure (also to give me a quick break, this was quite a fast-paced scenario [and don't get me wrong, I love a fast pace] and I just need a little bit of time to make sure I'm giving the same amount of care and attention to all of my other games).

23. - Top - End - #23

Excellent!!!

I now feel vaguely comfortable with the rules of the game.

Cheers, my friend !!!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And thus we have your newest game, which can be found here!