Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 1258
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    So you want them to do Imperial Armor? I'm down, I loved the Imperial Armor books. the warzones were neat, the lists were always fun, and the story was interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    "Lion looks pretty good."
    You think so?
    "Well, I'm not gonna buy him, there's no point."

    Rekt.

    Why does the Lion have a Chainsword?
    We know what the Lion's sword looks like. Cypher has it. WTF are they doing?
    What's with the elbow spike? Angels of Caliban doesn't have that.
    ...Angels of Caliban doesn't have half the **** they've caked onto Lion.
    The exact same problem I had with the Dark Angel Terminators.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-03-28 at 07:40 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    "Lion looks pretty good."
    You think so?
    "Well, I'm not gonna buy him, there's no point."

    Rekt.

    Why does the Lion have a Chainsword?
    We know what the Lion's sword looks like. Cypher has it. WTF are they doing?
    What's with the elbow spike? Angels of Caliban doesn't have that.
    ...Angels of Caliban doesn't have half the **** they've caked onto Lion.
    The exact same problem I had with the Dark Angel Terminators.
    The chainsword is the Wolfblade. The kit also has the Lion Sword and you can model him with either.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    9mm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    "Lion looks pretty good."
    You think so?
    "Well, I'm not gonna buy him, there's no point."

    Rekt.

    Why does the Lion have a Chainsword?
    We know what the Lion's sword looks like. Cypher has it. WTF are they doing?
    What's with the elbow spike? Angels of Caliban doesn't have that.
    ...Angels of Caliban doesn't have half the **** they've caked onto Lion.
    The exact same problem I had with the Dark Angel Terminators.
    could be worse, they could have made the Lion one of the Teclis Longhorns...
    Rule of Cool former designer

    Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

  5. - Top - End - #635
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Don Qui Ho Tep's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    San Diego

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Youíd then have people complaining that new content isnít being released fast enough

    My fantasy probably looks a lot like the current release model tbh, just with much more openness about upcoming plans. It didnít need to be a massive secret that this next book would have Custodes and Death Guard in: they could have announced the planned timing of that months ago and saved the reveal of Bile and the assassins for later (my money is on the assassin bit being pretty much a reprint from WD though).

    Of course, being up front about upcoming releases doesnít really work if youíre flying on the skin of your pants!
    To each their own! In addition to more transparency, I think this model would work much better if it was available online - if there was a way to collapse all of their FAQs into a more easily digestible place, and if all the datasheets could be replaced automatically, etc. etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    So you want them to do Imperial Armor? I'm down, I loved the Imperial Armor books. the warzones were neat, the lists were always fun, and the story was interesting.
    Ooh, yes, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Back before I took my seven-year break I never had the bandwidth for Forge World releases so I didn't think of IA; but that's more or less what I think this wave of releases is missing, a coherent vision. There's no urgent narrative reason for them to be releasing these books; it's just willy-nilly. But again ~ I am not the first person to be pointing this out. We could make wishlists all day!
    Check out my miniature painting log! Trying to update weekly.

  6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LansXero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post
    To each their own! In addition to more transparency, I think this model would work much better if it was available online - if there was a way to collapse all of their FAQs into a more easily digestible place, and if all the datasheets could be replaced automatically, etc. etc.
    So, BattleScribe + 1d4chan + datacards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post
    Ooh, yes, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Back before I took my seven-year break I never had the bandwidth for Forge World releases so I didn't think of IA; but that's more or less what I think this wave of releases is missing, a coherent vision. There's no urgent narrative reason for them to be releasing these books; it's just willy-nilly. But again ~ I am not the first person to be pointing this out. We could make wishlists all day!
    I liked the later 7th Ed. Warzones for regular 40k as well. And much as I hated the buggies, I found Vigilus entertaining and cool enough with its evolving campaign stuff.

    The issue here is that their design feels way too amateurish for a multi-million company. GW is nowhere near strapped for cash, so going "but they lack manpower" is a very poor excuse.

  7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    GW is nowhere near strapped for cash, so going "but they lack manpower" is a very poor excuse.
    Let's say you post a job opening, and yet the position goes unfulfilled:

    1. Lack of available talent. Demonstrably not true.
    2. Your standards are too high and no-one is good enough. Maybe.
    3. Talented people see 'Games Workshop' on the header, and skip your ad.

    ...And that's if you post the job opening at all, because shareholders are telling you to keep your staff costs down.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Let's say you post a job opening, and yet the position goes unfulfilled:

    1. Lack of available talent. Demonstrably not true.
    2. Your standards are too high and no-one is good enough. Maybe.
    3. Talented people see 'Games Workshop' on the header, and skip your ad.

    ...And that's if you post the job opening at all, because shareholders are telling you to keep your staff costs down.
    Having to move to Nottingham doesn't do them any favors.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Let's say you post a job opening, and yet the position goes unfulfilled:

    1. Lack of available talent. Demonstrably not true.
    2. Your standards are too high and no-one is good enough. Maybe.
    3. Talented people see 'Games Workshop' on the header, and skip your ad.

    ...And that's if you post the job opening at all, because shareholders are telling you to keep your staff costs down.
    1. Agreed.

    2. That seems doubtful considering the many many flaws that we routinely find in their rules, fluff, and point values.

    3. Also seems doubtful considering the large fanbase Warhammer has. Lots of people would love to make their 'fan Codex' a reality. Or simply to have the chance to 'do it right'.

    So I'm pretty sure it's that last reason you posted. They are short on people because they don't want to pay more employees, even if that means the employees they do have can't do as good of a job due to the workload.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    3. Also seems doubtful considering the large fanbase Warhammer has. Lots of people would love to make their 'fan Codex' a reality. Or simply to have the chance to 'do it right'.
    Among the professional community? ...No. Absolutely not. Fans are not professionals.
    Previous employees at GW have almost nothing good to say about their time there. Back in 5th Ed., working for GW was the dream...For about 15 minutes, until a corporate suit would rap you on the knuckles for doing things wrong.

    In 7th Ed., professional respect towards GW, was severely waning. I erroneously assumed that getting rid of Alan Merritt would fix things (i.e; He's the guy that said Genestealer Cults and Deathwatch were terrible ideas, and sandbagged them forever...When he finally went into forced retirement, Deathwatch; Overkill came out and sold like hotcakes McMuffins).

    In 8th Ed., that respect is all but gone.

    People would love their fan Codex to be a reality. People would love to 'do it right'. There's no question.
    The problem is that can you make your 'fan Codex' a reaility, can you 'do it right'...While working for GW? Incredibly doubtful.

    "Here are some rules that make sense."
    That wont sell models. Make them absurd, and then we'll nerf them back to your original idea.

    "I need more time to write rules that make sense and are fun to play with."
    You've got three minutes.

    "I think this works in small games, but in larger games it might break the flow of play, or be used in a way we can't forsee."
    You can playtest it once.

    GW's stock prices go up and up and up.
    GW's morale goes down and down.
    That tells you something.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-03-28 at 10:58 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Having to move to Nottingham doesn't do them any favors.
    This part is just silly as it rules out a great many people who would be willing to write for them but don't like in the area. I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't hire an American or Australian and just have them send their work in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  12. - Top - End - #642
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Among the professional community? ...No. Absolutely not. Fans are not professionals.
    Previous employees at GW have almost nothing good to say about their time there. Back in 5th Ed., working for GW was the dream...For about 15 minutes, until a corporate suit would rap you on the knuckles for doing things wrong.

    In 7th Ed., professional respect towards GW, was severely waning. I erroneously assumed that getting rid of Alan Merritt would fix things (i.e; He's the guy that said Genestealer Cults and Deathwatch were terrible ideas, and sandbagged them forever...When he finally went into forced retirement, Deathwatch; Overkill came out and sold like hotcakes McMuffins).

    In 8th Ed., that respect is all but gone.

    People would love their fan Codex to be a reality. People would love to 'do it right'. There's no question.
    The problem is that can you make your 'fan Codex' a reaility, can you 'do it right'...While working for GW? Incredibly doubtful.

    "Here are some rules that make sense."
    That wont sell models. Make them absurd, and then we'll nerf them back to your original idea.

    "I need more time to write rules that make sense and are fun to play with."
    You've got three minutes.

    "I think this works in small games, but in larger games it might break the flow of play, or be used in a way we can't forsee."
    You can playtest it once.

    GW's stock prices go up and up and up.
    GW's morale goes down and down.
    That tells you something.
    Agree with everything you say here. This is the underlying problem GW has. Iím hopeful itís getting better under the new CEO, but corporate culture takes time to change, particularly after literal decades of mismanagement in this respect. Theyíve had a corporate restructure, that might help, and recruited a new group of designers recently: in fact, I strongly suspect that Psychic Awakening has been used as something of a training exercise for the new crop of designers, who according to Voxcast joined at the start of that project. Itís why the quality and breadth of rules is so variable: some are written by brand new designers who havenít worked on 40k before.

    Of course, having someone new shouldnít be a problem, as rules should be a team effort rather than individually designed, but GW gonna GW.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    This part is just silly as it rules out a great many people who would be willing to write for them but don't like in the area. I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't hire an American or Australian and just have them send their work in.
    Itíll be interesting to see how the current isolation affects companies like GW in the long term: now that there is enforced seperation of teams, perhaps the reasons why they thought it wouldnít work will become much less of an issue, so that when we return to some semblance of normality remote staff may be more of a thing.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    "Lion looks pretty good."
    You think so?
    "Well, I'm not gonna buy him, there's no point."

    Rekt.
    I wasn't trying to be an ass about it, I'm just very aware that I have limited time and income to spend on my hobbies (of which I have several besides GW games) and buying stuff that will get used is a higher priority. I couldn't even justify buying Magnus, a mini in a faction that I collect in a game that I do play, because *any* Primarch is a heavy investment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    3. Talented people see 'Games Workshop' on the header, and skip your ad.
    Arguably the opposite is in fact true. Nottingham is an incestuous hotbed of gaming companies founded by ex-GW employees - Mantic Games, Warlord Games and Battlefront are all within a bus ride away and are packed with people who used to work for GW and decided to go their own way. To say nothing of companies like Dust, who work out of the continent mainland.

    GW is a great way of getting into the industry because they have the well known brand and the staff turnover to ensure there's always demand for new blood. What they really need to work on is KEEPING talent within the company, instead of perpetually relying on the Old Guard and training up newbies who won't stay for a minute longer than it takes to get their name known.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I wasn't trying to be an ass about it, I'm just very aware that I have limited time and income to spend on my hobbies...
    lol. I wasn't even talking about you.
    That was literally a conversation I had about Lion. It's a conversation I have about a lot of things. Especially with...Twitter types.

    "It's good to see that [product] has [X]. I like it."
    Do you like it enough to buy it?
    "Pfft. No."
    So what you're saying is, [X] wont sell, and they should go back to doing something else.
    "What? No. They should do more of [X]."
    But they just did [X], and you're not supporting it in the only way that counts - revenue. So - as a business - why should they keep doing it?

    Arguably the opposite is in fact true. Nottingham is an incestuous hotbed of gaming companies founded by ex-GW employees - Mantic Games, Warlord Games and Battlefront are all within a bus ride away and are packed with people who used to work for GW and decided to go their own way.
    So what you're saying is, go work for them.

    GW is a great way of getting into the industry...
    I think what you meant was 'burned out of the industry'

    training up newbies who won't stay for a minute longer than it takes to get their name known.
    But their names don't get known.
    Products are designed by the 'Design Team'. No-one gets an author credit anymore. Because GW is too scared of another 'Matt Ward' situation where he gets sent death threats.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-03-29 at 06:19 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    On the up side, maybe the quarantine will give their rules writers time to actually put some work into whatever their current projects are and get them done properly? Of course, it would likely be considered dark heresy for GW employees to use Tabletop Simulator or Vassal to do playtesting.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    But they just did [X], and you're not supporting it in the only way that counts - revenue. So - as a business - why should they keep doing it?
    Hopefully I'm coming across in the middle ground - GW should definitely do more stuff like the Lion, just in the games that I am inclined to play. "Stop making stuff for the bad game" isn't a hypocritical request, I feel.

    Although yes, I realise that sounds like I'm expecting them to cater expressly to my desires and disregard other peoples' opinions. I'm using "the royal I" based on my perception that 30k isn't a fun game and doesn't cater to a very big audience, compared to 40k and AoS; correct me if I'm wrong.

    So what you're saying is, go work for them.
    If by "them" you're referring to the companies who haven't spent 20 years pissing away their good will and unperson-ing their writers? Yep.

    I think what you meant was 'burned out of the industry'
    The two are not mutually exclusive. Given some of the stories I've heard from a number of people who used to work on the shop floor and in the mail order area, they happened as a pair more often than not.

    But their names don't get known. Products are designed by the 'Design Team'. No-one gets an author credit anymore. Because GW is too scared of another 'Matt Ward' situation where he gets sent death threats.
    If it were Old GW, I'd suggest that it was done primarily to stop people 'getting famous' so that they could show off their resume and leave for greener pastures. Since this is New GW, I'm only half sure.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-03-29 at 07:51 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    GW should definitely do more stuff like [I like], just in the games that [I actually play].
    Painfully true.
    As I think I've mentioned before, nothing GW has announced in either 40K or AoS, for the rest of year, excites me. I told my Blackshirt as much. I'll be buying old(er) stuff, [which also happens to be cheaper stuff] if I buy anything at all.

    There's a lot of good WarCry stuff...But I don't play that! So I'll just have to settle for painting it for comission.

    "Stop making stuff for the bad game" isn't a hypocritical request, I feel.
    I lol'd.

    Although yes, I realise that sounds like I'm expecting them to cater expressly to my desires and disregard other peoples' opinions.
    I don't think you're going to find much pushback with '30K is a bad game'. It died with Alan Bligh, RIP.

    It'd be really cool if GW released Primarchs for a game people actually play. Which GW have shown that they can do. Three times!
    Unfortunately, if more Primarchs came back, it would only fuel the 'Space Marines OP, this game sucks' crowd. Which, to be fair, is not an unfounded stance. I play Space Marines, and I have to agree. The only way I see myself getting back into 40K after COVID is if I picked up a new army. Probably Tyranids.

    The two are not mutually exclusive. Given some of the stories I've heard from a number of people who used to work on the shop floor and in the mail order area, they happened as a pair more often than not.
    By the time you've got name recognition...You don't want to work in the industry anymore. sadlol.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-03-29 at 09:32 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I don't think you're going to find much pushback with '30K is a bad game'. It died with Alan Bligh, RIP.

    It'd be really cool if GW released Primarchs for a game people actually play. Which GW have shown that they can do. Three times!
    Unfortunately, if more Primarchs came back, it would only fuel the 'Space Marines OP, this game sucks' crowd. Which, to be fair, is not an unfounded stance. I play Space Marines, and I have to agree. The only way I see myself getting back into 40K after COVID is if I picked up a new army. Probably Tyranids.
    It wouldn't be an issue if they actuall gave the other factions their Primarch equivalents.

    Orks: Gazghkull as The Beast (thats what I thought he'd be)
    Eldar: Yvrainne should have been this
    Necrons: The Silent King
    Chaos: Super Powered Abaddon and Daemon Princes
    Ad Mech: Giant Walking Death Machine piloted by Cawl or something (give me my Obliteratii already!)
    Imp Guard: ... ok I got nothing for them
    Tau: Farsight in an experimental super suit or an Ethereal in the same
    Tyranids: Upgraded Swarm Lord

    If one side is getting Primarchs, may as well bring out all the big toys like its the Heresy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Imperial Guard just needs a way to get invulnerable saves or damage mitigation onto the superheavy tanks. That's really all they need.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Imperial Guard just needs a way to get invulnerable saves or damage mitigation onto the superheavy tanks. That's really all they need.
    So slap a Conversion or Refractor field onto it? That raises an interesting question...why don't they have the occasional Baneblade with a Refractor field?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Eldar: Yvrainne should have been this
    The Avatar of Khaine has been using the same model since about 1992, and even the big Forgeworld one uses the same statline as the normal guy. If GW can't think "I wonder what Big Hero we could introduce to Eldar armies", and look at something representing a literal piece of the God of War, and come up with a solution..... Oh, who am I kidding, that's exactly what they have been doing for 28 years already....

    Imp Guard: ... ok I got nothing for them
    I don't remember the Forgeworld stuff too well, but the one that sticks in memory was the Fortress of Arrogance - Commisar Yarrick's personal Baneblade Super-Heavy Tank.

    That'd work. A huge footprint, extremely tough, with some aura effects for everyone around it; it's basically IG's equivalent to Guilliman. Make the guy inside it be the new Lord Solar maybe, that fits into the lore and it gives them the authority to have some wacky mechanics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    So slap a Conversion or Refractor field onto it? That raises an interesting question...why don't they have the occasional Baneblade with a Refractor field?
    Because the Imperial Guard are just ordinary humans. Them having a refractor field *or* a Baneblade at all is rare, expensive and prestigious enough; having both in the same place at the same time will piss off the Mechanicus who need to be super-special little prima-donnas.

    At least, in the fluff. In the crunch, it's because that's what Imperial Knights are for, and the people who write the IG codex haven't yet figured out how to mix up the two without making one redundant.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-03-29 at 10:53 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Artanis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    BFE
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Imp Guard: ... ok I got nothing for them
    Creed, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

    Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

  23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground
     
    druid91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    I'm just sitting here hoping the fact that Engine War has been delayed again means it's full of awesome stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    It wouldn't be an issue if they actuall gave the other factions their Primarch equivalents.

    Orks: Gazghkull as The Beast (thats what I thought he'd be)
    Eldar: Yvrainne should have been this
    Necrons: The Silent King
    Chaos: Super Powered Abaddon and Daemon Princes
    Ad Mech: Giant Walking Death Machine piloted by Cawl or something (give me my Obliteratii already!)
    Imp Guard: ... ok I got nothing for them
    Tau: Farsight in an experimental super suit or an Ethereal in the same
    Tyranids: Upgraded Swarm Lord

    If one side is getting Primarchs, may as well bring out all the big toys like its the Heresy.
    Ad-Mech already has titans, and used to have the Ordinatus before they decided to make those 30k only.
    Last edited by druid91; 2020-03-29 at 10:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

    Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

    Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

    Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

  24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The Avatar of Khaine has been using the same model since about 1992, and even the big Forgeworld one uses the same statline as the normal guy. If GW can't think "I wonder what Big Hero we could introduce to Eldar armies", and look at something representing a literal piece of the God of War, and come up with a solution..... Oh, who am I kidding, that's exactly what they have been doing for 28 years already....
    It's sad that I forgot about the Avatar of Khaine, but he would be a really good choice as well. Just make a super charged one made out of multiple shards and just turn him into a right wrecking ball as I don't see him doing the whole buffing thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I don't remember the Forgeworld stuff too well, but the one that sticks in memory was the Fortress of Arrogance - Commisar Yarrick's personal Baneblade Super-Heavy Tank.

    That'd work. A huge footprint, extremely tough, with some aura effects for everyone around it; it's basically IG's equivalent to Guilliman. Make the guy inside it be the new Lord Solar maybe, that fits into the lore and it gives them the authority to have some wacky mechanics.
    That would be perfect. A big ostentatious monstrosity of a tank with the Lord Solar sticking out the top screaming commands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Creed, maybe?
    Stick Creed in the Fortress of Arrogance?

    Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    I'm just sitting here hoping the fact that Engine War has been delayed again means it's full of awesome stuff.
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2020-03-29 at 10:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    It's sad that I forgot about the Avatar of Khaine, but he would be a really good choice as well. Just make a super charged one made out of multiple shards and just turn him into a right wrecking ball as I don't see him doing the whole buffing thing.
    Something goes wrong *again* and Iyanden make the desperate decision to plug their Infinity Circuit into the Avatar's Throne, because technobabble makes it seem like a good idea at the time.

    A couple of years later, everything is back online and all seems well. Then the next time Iyanden goes to war, a significant piece of the Craftworld itself gets up and walks about stomping on people, with entire Crystal Seers embedded in it's chest where an ordinary Eldar would wear a soulstone.

    Avatar-Dreadknight, baby.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Something goes wrong *again* and Iyanden make the desperate decision to plug their Infinity Circuit into the Avatar's Throne, because technobabble makes it seem like a good idea at the time.

    A couple of years later, everything is back online and all seems well. Then the next time Iyanden goes to war, a significant piece of the Craftworld itself gets up and walks about stomping on people, with entire Crystal Seers embedded in it's chest where an ordinary Eldar would wear a soulstone.

    Avatar-Dreadknight, baby.
    Now there's an idea. That thing would be terrifying, as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Creed, maybe?
    When Creed got Pokeballed during Cadia's Burning, I always thought he'd come back in some kind of Necron Exoskeleton, looking like Drycha Hamadreth.

    As it stands, Creed is still in the game, 100 years after Cadia blew up, with no explanation (that I've read).
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  28. - Top - End - #658
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Don Qui Ho Tep's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    San Diego

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    I'm not sure delivering Primarch equivalents to everyone would make the game more interesting. You'd end up with a lot of top-heavy lists that emphasize more, ridiculous powers on fewer, more expensive models. That said, there are already some lists that tailor to that play-style, such as Thousand Sons Supreme Command detachments. Maybe that's where we'll be headed eventually. Then again, AoS seems to successfully balance centerpiece models with the need to have a lot of bodies on the table for objective controlling.
    Check out my miniature painting log! Trying to update weekly.

  29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    When Creed got Pokeballed during Cadia's Burning, I always thought he'd come back in some kind of Necron Exoskeleton, looking like Drycha Hamadreth.

    As it stands, Creed is still in the game, 100 years after Cadia blew up, with no explanation (that I've read).
    I mean, so is Kell, and Abaddon killed him dead.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post
    I'm not sure delivering Primarch equivalents to everyone would make the game more interesting. You'd end up with a lot of top-heavy lists that emphasize more, ridiculous powers on fewer, more expensive models. That said, there are already some lists that tailor to that play-style, such as Thousand Sons Supreme Command detachments. Maybe that's where we'll be headed eventually. Then again, AoS seems to successfully balance centerpiece models with the need to have a lot of bodies on the table for objective controlling.
    I would agree but not all Death Guard run Mortarion and not all Thousand Sons run Magnus. I mean, yes, a ton do, but you can be good without him. I just want the option there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •