New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    It's just Valhallan Blizzard, GW's standard snow "texture paint". I'm glad you like it because I think it's turned out pretty badly, personally - horrible and patchy. (I'm finding Valhallan Blizzard dries much smaller than it is when wet, so I'm thinking it needs a couple of "coats" to come out right.) I've nearly finished my Lieutenants and Ancient, so will probably get a spare base and do some practice snow before doing theirs, just to get an idea of what i'm thinking of by "this looks good".
    Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    I actually like the slightly "patchy" look, with the industrial bases it seems like it's windblown or tracked snow, which gives it a nice effect.
    Yeah, this. It doesn't look like new-fallen snow, but it does look a lot like snow that has been tracked inside on people's boots.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Yeah, this. It doesn't look like new-fallen snow, but it does look a lot like snow that has been tracked inside on people's boots.
    Agreed. It looks patchy like it's fallen onto an industrial grate nad either partially melted or blown off. Maybe a little more but not much
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

My friend's Space Wolves army has snow bases done with baking soda and clear coat.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

4. - Top - End - #604
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll chime in that I also like the tufts of snow look - I think that bases at this scale look best when they have a few different elements, as long as they're not too noisy. Mine typically have gravel, sometimes a few larger rocks, and some tufts of grass. Nothing to intense, but enough to be interesting!
    Check out my miniature painting log! Trying to update weekly.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    It's a little narrow to pin, less than 2 mm in diameter. My previous pin jobs have used a 1/16" drill (1.58 mm) bit and 16-gage (1.3 mm) galvanized steel wire.

Maybe it's time for a dedicated pin vice.

Drilling into the hand could work, too. I just need to find the appropriately sized drill bit. I've got a good selection, to that shouldn't be too hard.
    If you aren't working with sizes under 1mm you're not really pinning ;)

And definitely get the pin vise. I wouldn't even try anything in the 2mm range without one.

The biggest problem I find is to get drillbits and wire of the same thickness. You really don't want (much) thinner wire as it just won't hold and thicker naturally is right out.

My "worst" pin job so far was the Heresy Minitaures Mk1 Netherlord with wings (the all metal one). 35 individual pins with paperclips to make it sturdy. Most of them multiple pins in same joint steadied with greenstuff.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    If you aren't working with sizes under 1mm you're not really pinning ;)

And definitely get the pin vise. I wouldn't even try anything in the 2mm range without one.

The biggest problem I find is to get drillbits and wire of the same thickness. You really don't want (much) thinner wire as it just won't hold and thicker naturally is right out.

My "worst" pin job so far was the Heresy Minitaures Mk1 Netherlord with wings (the all metal one). 35 individual pins with paperclips to make it sturdy. Most of them multiple pins in same joint steadied with greenstuff.
    Closer examination of my broken warlock shows that drilling a wide hole into the hand that fits the spear shaft is a non-starter. The hands are too thin. this guy is definitely not wearing power armor gloves.

Next question: Recommend me some pin vises, drill sets, and pin stock.

McMaster-Carr has some. Are these any good?

A good pin vise might let me repair some of my 'gants and 'gaunts that have broken off their bases, too.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-03-29 at 05:39 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Closer examination of my broken warlock shows that drilling a wide hole into the hand that fits the spear shaft is a non-starter. The hands are too thin. this guy is definitely not wearing power armor gloves.
    Another option is to give up on the spear.
    So remove the bottom part of it.
    Then either give him another pistol, or a sword-gauntlet ala protoss style.
    And eventually glue a spear to his back.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Another option is to give up on the spear.
    So remove the bottom part of it.
    Then either give him another pistol, or a sword-gauntlet ala protoss style.
    And eventually glue a spear to his back.
    That's an interesting idea. I kind of like like it. Unfortunately, it's much easier said than done. The base of the spear is attached to the bottom of his robes, making it difficult to remove.

Plus, the Singing Spear already gives me a 12" ranged attack, making a pistol somewhat redundant (in 2E 40k rules - git off my lawn! ).
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

That's an interesting idea. I kind of like like it. Unfortunately, it's much easier said than done. The base of the spear is attached to the bottom of his robes, making it difficult to remove.
    And yeah might become a bit of a larger project.
    It should not be impossible to get rid off?
    But alternatively. Made the last bit of the spear be part of the scenery?

Plus, the Singing Spear already gives me a 12" ranged attack, making a pistol somewhat redundant (in 2E 40k rules - git off my lawn! ).
    The pistol are there to be badass, not shoot people :P
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post

Next question: Recommend me some pin vises, drill sets, and pin stock.

McMaster-Carr has some. Are these any good?

A good pin vice might let me repair some of my 'gants and 'gaunts that have broken off their bases, too.
    I wish I could say for sure, but my two pin vices are both vintage Citadel dating from the last millennium. The ones I have look like "Precise-Control Pin Vises" I think more modern ones for hobbyists are more like "Cushion-Grip Precise-Control Pin Vises ". On that note, my suggestion is to look at whatever the tool GW is currently selling is. And then pick up a competitor miniature manufacturer's version, like Warlord, Battlefront or some such if they have any. The really "bare metal" versions tend to be quite odious for hand and wrist in prolonged use I think it's worth paying for ergonomics here. At least my old ones tend to be a bit rough on hand if drilling for hours.

E.g. this is what Wayland games lists as options.
    https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/2526-...drill_pin_vice

And actually the Citadel one isn't massively overpriced but importantly has had the type of use we use it for incorporated in design (like ergonomics). For a budget version the Armypainter one I'd give a punt too. Though it doesn't say how vice grips bits, ideally wou want something that can use much smaller bits than the standard around 1mm sizes.

I have to say I like what I see in those Fine Pivot drill bit shank versions, I've ruined most of my very fine drillbits by snapping them due to putting too much pressure on it so that designs seem quite smart.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-03-27 at 08:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have the citadel one and it's pretty good. The drills are just bog-standard 1-mm drill bits available from the better hardware store.

And compared to the amount of money spent on miniatures I don't care much that it is about 5€ overpriced.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

With the Psychic Awakening stuff that has come out, do you guys think there will be an upcoming book with Necrons in it? If so, I hope there is a make your own dynasty like most of the other factions get. I've been running Nephrekh since I love my turn 1 Wraith charges, but it hasn't done too much for the rest of my army.

What sort of abilities would you like to see the Necrons get for custom dynasties? What type of abilities do you expect they will get?

Seeing as my current army is mostly focused on tesla spam and melee rush, I'd like to see stuff that would help that style. Necrons currently don't have anything to help with charges besides MWBD, so maybe some sort bonus to charges and something that would boost tesla weaponry would be right up my alley. I'm expecting an ability that boost the range of some weapons and probably a buff to rapid fire weapons, which won't be as useful to me. I think there are other abilities that are shared between these custom factions, though I wonder I'd any of them would be particularly good...

Any more ideas?

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gmoyes View Post
    With the Psychic Awakening stuff that has come out, do you guys think there will be an upcoming book with Necrons in it? If so, I hope there is a make your own dynasty like most of the other factions get. I've been running Nephrekh since I love my turn 1 Wraith charges, but it hasn't done too much for the rest of my army.

What sort of abilities would you like to see the Necrons get for custom dynasties? What type of abilities do you expect they will get?

Seeing as my current army is mostly focused on tesla spam and melee rush, I'd like to see stuff that would help that style. Necrons currently don't have anything to help with charges besides MWBD, so maybe some sort bonus to charges and something that would boost tesla weaponry would be right up my alley. I'm expecting an ability that boost the range of some weapons and probably a buff to rapid fire weapons, which won't be as useful to me. I think there are other abilities that are shared between these custom factions, though I wonder I'd any of them would be particularly good...

Any more ideas?
    I would like to see a fall back and shoot as a faction trait.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I would like to see a fall back and shoot as a faction trait.
    It's honestly weird that the army of Robots doesn't have that. I mean, half of the traits are at least good, but the new traits would have to be pretty amazing to bootstrap the Crons up from where they are.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by gmoyes View Post
    With the Psychic Awakening stuff that has come out, do you guys think there will be an upcoming book with Necrons in it?
    Yes.
    Every Faction will get a Psychic Awakening update.
    The question isn't so much 'Will you get one?', but 'When will you get one?'

GW's staggered release schedule (so you can milk for profit), combined with COVID delays, means that if you haven't already got one, you'll be waiting a while.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-03-28 at 12:03 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

And actually the Citadel one isn't massively overpriced but importantly has had the type of use we use it for incorporated in design (like ergonomics). For a budget version the Armypainter one I'd give a punt too. Though it doesn't say how vice grips bits, ideally wou want something that can use much smaller bits than the standard around 1mm sizes.
    On this side of the pond, "give a punt to" generally means "no, don't get it". Is that how you mean it in GB, too?

I decided the Citadel one might be worth it, so I went to their website for pricing: GW Tools.

Yeah, they're out of everything but the assemble handle (which, admittedly, could be useful for models with multiple fiddly bits that need to be glued at the same time) and the "mould" line remover (because you Brits need to add "u" to words that really don't need it - colour, armour, honour - I could go on ). They're out of most of their painting accessories, too.

I have to say I like what I see in those Fine Pivot drill bit shank versions, I've ruined most of my very fine drillbits by snapping them due to putting too much pressure on it so that designs seem quite smart.
    Can you link to an example?

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it too passe, or can we still complain about Psychic Awakening?

Fabius Bile is a great character, and in a lot of ways his older model still holds up. If he was to get a new model I'd rather it be radically different than the older one, or have some lore reason (e.g., he priamrisizes himself) for a new model. Instead we have a (very nice, by the way) model that is just the same design, but different, and now he has a new friend, and that will be $40 thank you very much.

This drum has been beaten before, but bundling four factions into one book for six page of rules each is pretty gross. I'd like very much to get the lore about the War of the Spider, but if it just ends up in cliffhangers again there's not really a point. And the new CSM rules will probably be a page for the new Bile profile and a page for the Sons of Bile and then we're done.

(I know the answer is $, but wouldn't it have been so much nicer if they had released everything as two big campaign books like Vigilus, and threw in a couple of specialist detachments for everybody's trouble?)

The new Lion sculpt looks pretty cool, although his scenic base is a bit busy.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Qui Ho Tep View Post

Fabius Bile is a great character, and in a lot of ways his older model still holds up. If he was to get a new model I'd rather it be radically different than the older one, or have some lore reason (e.g., he priamrisizes himself) for a new model. Instead we have a (very nice, by the way) model that is just the same design, but different, and now he has a new friend, and that will be $40 thank you very much.

This drum has been beaten before, but bundling four factions into one book for six page of rules each is pretty gross. I'd like very much to get the lore about the War of the Spider, but if it just ends up in cliffhangers again there's not really a point. And the new CSM rules will probably be a page for the new Bile profile and a page for the Sons of Bile and then we're done.

(I know the answer is $, but wouldn't it have been so much nicer if they had released everything as two big campaign books like Vigilus, and threw in a couple of specialist detachments for everybody's trouble?)

The new Lion sculpt looks pretty cool, although his scenic base is a bit busy.
    Nah, it's worth complaining about.

Mind you, I haven't actually seen anything involving Fabius Bile, so I don't have any words for you there. But honestly? If the model doesn't drastically change, just keep using the old one.

Fluff wise, let's take a run down;

Phoenix Rising; Ynnari win! Psych, it was actually a trick to undercut Yvraine's plan. Slaanash win cause the Aeldari are still split up.
    Faith and Fury: Cliffhanger ending
    Blood of Baal: Cliffhanger ending
    Ritual of the Damned: Grey Knights/Dark Angels win and prevent Magnus' plan.
    The Greater Good: War continues with each side getting some minor victories. Not an ending really, but not a cliffhanger either.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #619

Well, if Fabulous Bill has the same base size and model height, or close enough, there's no reason not to keep using the old model.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

20. - Top - End - #620
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I kind of agree here: it’s a nice model, but there isn’t a lot different about it. Will be interesting to see it stood against the classic Bile though.

You might find the latest voxcast interesting from this perspective, it talks about how the PA books were written. It sounds like they have been an ongoing process, so the latest ones were written a months after the first. They also didn’t go in with a set plan of ‘every army must have new subfaction rules’ or anything, they just wrote whatever ended up working for each faction. Which creates a lot of uncertainty! “Sorry, the idea we had for your faction didn’t work out, guess you only get a couple of pages of rules”. But means that if they had wanted to put them all in a few books, those books would have come out a lot later.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

21. - Top - End - #621

... Yeah, that's not a great method of game design.

Anyway, there's a comparison of the new and old Bile models on Warhammer Community.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2020-03-28 at 02:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #622

Griffon

It's a shame that 30k is virtually dead; the models they keep bringing out for it are brilliant, but there's absolutely no reason for me to ever buy them.

For example: Lion El'Johnson has been announced as the next 30k Primarch, and I think he looks awesome, as do the 1st Legion Terminators that came out a few months ago. Options include bare head/helmet and Power Sword/Chainsword, but I think he's among the first where I actually quite like the bare headed look.

C'mon, GW! Announce a 30k-to-40k conversion rule set already will ya?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-03-28 at 02:33 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Well, if Fabulous Bill has the same base size and model height, or close enough, there's no reason not to keep using the old model.
    Even if the base is bigger, you can just rebase it. So long as the model isn't substantially bigger.

Anyway, there's a comparison of the new and old Bile models on Warhammer Community.
    Oh nice! I really like his new model. They also look to be pretty close in size, so I don't see a problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's a shame that 30k is virtually dead; the models they keep bringing out for it are brilliant, but there's absolutely no reason for me to ever buy them.

For example: Lion El'Johnson has been announced as the next 30k Primarch, and I think he looks awesome, as do the 1st Legion Terminators that came out a few months ago. Options include bare head/helmet and Power Sword/Chainsword, but I think he's among the first where I actually quite like the bare headed look.

What, like an 8th edition version of 30K?
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2020-03-28 at 03:54 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    You might find the latest voxcast interesting from this perspective, it talks about how the PA books were written. It sounds like they have been an ongoing process, so the latest ones were written a months after the first. They also didn’t go in with a set plan of ‘every army must have new subfaction rules’ or anything, they just wrote whatever ended up working for each faction. Which creates a lot of uncertainty! “Sorry, the idea we had for your faction didn’t work out, guess you only get a couple of pages of rules”. But means that if they had wanted to put them all in a few books, those books would have come out a lot later.
    ..Why wouldn't they all have new Sub faction rules? Like...if you don't give me something new, what's the point of buying the book? These people really need to sit down and actually plan this stuff out.

Ya, it sounds like they fly by the seat of their pants and while thats fine for GMing games, it's not for planning out a game system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

Lion is looking good, very nice and the diorama piece is wonderfully done.

Oh nice! I really like his new model. They also look to be pretty close in size, so I don't see a problem there.
    His new model looks like a cleaner version of his old one, so he's less squat an all the bits look nicer. He looks good, but I don't see why you couldn't use the old one.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625

Griffon

What, like an 8th edition version of 30K?
    Yeah - just make it completely compatible for normal 40k rules. Add a caveat that 30k armies are not allowed in 40k tournaments without express permission of the TO or something if you like, but otherwise.... Why not?

The fluff would be a bit wonky if you played Tau vs. 30k Thousand Sons, or 30k Ultramarines against 40k Ultramarines, but... who cares? It'd be fun, the 40k/8th edition rules are better than 30k rules, and it's give me a reason to buy 30k models which I - and I feel very confident in saying the majority of other players - don't have right now.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

26. - Top - End - #626

Yeah, towards the end of 7th I played Imperial Guard vs. 30 Imperial Fists. Can't do that anymore and I think Horus Heresy suffers for it.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

I'll throw in another pro 8th edition HH vote.

One of my friends and I mostly fielded Imperial Militia and Cults in 40k games towards the latter end of 7th, and I'd love to be able to try Daemons of the Ruinstorm without having to ask people to dig up their outdated rulebooks or build a HH army for the sake of a few games.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Dwarf in the Playground

It looks like a 40 mm base New Fabius is on, I definitely have an extra. If I don't rebase him and just plop his 25 mm onto the new base then he should be about the same height as the new sculpt, as well. Not trying to short-change anyone's LOS on him. I've got many useful fiddly bits I can use to make on of his followers too, although I wonder if like Makari or the Dark Apostle's Disciples if it'll be a separate datasheet, in which case it might not be necessary.

I got the sense that a lot of the 30k line was to engage heavily with a future historical game - that a lot of the models were sold to very serious fans and collectors who wanted to paint up an impressive setpiece, and that the books contained a lot of lore but most of the actual battles were done by proxies. I imagine they're making enough to keep the line running.

As an aside, does anyone know how well 40k is doing as compared to specialist games and AoS? Either from GW's perspective or people who run a shop/are friends of those who run a shop (sales up to say, mid-February, of course)?

@Avaris, I listened to that pod in the background when doing some housework so I missed a few details, but my major takeaway (and this is something you've pointed out before) is that it was fundamentally an issue of personpower. Just not having enough people in the room to ensure that content can be produced and proof-read and stay consistent while still meeting the necessary deadlines. The interview you linked to earlier in the thread also shed light on this, with the way that the Necromunda release was bungled.

Again, I wonder if it comes down to sustainability - I'm sure if they could afford a host of rules writers and playtesters they would, but I can't imagine that the industry is large enough to support that many, especially given that many smart and creative people are starting their own lines or joining with competitors.

Regardless, I'm not going to be picking up the War of the Spider, unless I start collecting Death Guard (which given the size of my backlog would be a very bad idea). I'll find a plot summary online, although I'm disappointed because I really like the way that these war stories are told - it's just not worth $40. :/

Remember Fall of Medusa V? That was a lot of fun. A reason for everyone to be involved. Vostroyans looked Ace. Now that there's so many factions, I guess that's not really actionable anymore.

Here's a fantasy: every two years (in addition to regular FAQ releases and Chapter Approved), GW releases a campaign book - "here is what happened in the 41st Millenium ~ sometime." Not necessarily advancing a story, just creating a fun event. The intent is to give love or new toys to factions that underperform and get them competitive. Not everyone has to buy the book. Maybe it's two books, each with a collection of factions involved. Or group updates by Imperium, Chaos, and Xenos. "Here's a story about a famous Chaos Lord who did some stuff. This is the campaign he wove as part of the 10th Black Crusade. Look at the combination of CSM, Daemons, Traitor Guard, and Renegade Knights. Wouldn't you like some rules to represent the cool things that he did?"

Also in this fantasy, GW invents a new stable plant-based plastic that does not release nurdles in its production.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Here's a fantasy: every two years (in addition to regular FAQ releases and Chapter Approved), GW releases a campaign book - "here is what happened in the 41st Millenium ~ sometime." Not necessarily advancing a story, just creating a fun event. The intent is to give love or new toys to factions that underperform and get them competitive. Not everyone has to buy the book. Maybe it's two books, each with a collection of factions involved. Or group updates by Imperium, Chaos, and Xenos. "Here's a story about a famous Chaos Lord who did some stuff. This is the campaign he wove as part of the 10th Black Crusade. Look at the combination of CSM, Daemons, Traitor Guard, and Renegade Knights. Wouldn't you like some rules to represent the cool things that he did?".
    You’d then have people complaining that new content isn’t being released fast enough

My fantasy probably looks a lot like the current release model tbh, just with much more openness about upcoming plans. It didn’t need to be a massive secret that this next book would have Custodes and Death Guard in: they could have announced the planned timing of that months ago and saved the reveal of Bile and the assassins for later (my money is on the assassin bit being pretty much a reprint from WD though).

Of course, being up front about upcoming releases doesn’t really work if you’re flying on the skin of your pants!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

30. - Top - End - #630

Is it Assassins? They said Custodes and Sisters of Silence.