New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXIX: Miracle on 39th Thread

It's like a steampunk ornithopter had a baby with a storm hawk. It does look like the sort of thing you'd see in an 80s cartoon though, which is a common trend for a lot of GW designs.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler: Shrine of St. Katherine
    Show
    Oh good lord. It's worse than I thought. It looks SO FRAGILE. Ditch the cherubs and it'd be fine, but why would you put those on? For the love of god!

Like, Im sitting here cringing at the thought of trying to transport this.

Spoiler: Sisters Repentia
    Show

These look good. Nice update to the old models.

Spoiler: Whatever the **** this Ad Mech thing is....
    Show

Note the chicken-leg landing gear hiding under the wing....

I...I got nothing here. This doesn't match the rest of the Ad Mech style at all (like, does it actually flap its wings?) I have no idea what they were thinking. I don't even know who asked for this.

I...Ya, I got nothing.

Spoiler: Aeronautica Imperialis is still a thing, apparently
    Show

Huh. That looks nice. though I don't know if its the paintjob or the angle or what but it looks like its melting. Kinda weird there. Is that just me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Like, I'm sitting here cringing at the thought of trying to transport this.
    Exactly the same thought occurred to me - it'd need a box all to itself with no layer of foam above it. Definitely lose the cherubs and make it more 'flat', but then you're losing half of the model.

These look good. Nice update to the old models.
    I agree. They look like soldiers who do heavy PT so that they can run around swinging giant chainswords a people, not like swimsuit models posing with toys. Probably the best that we could have asked for, given their previous incarnations.

I...Ya, I got nothing.
    If it had been made for AoS I think it would have been great - definitely a nice sculpt that is suitable for Kharadron Overlords or maybe something cooked up by the Skaven.... But chicken-legs underneath skeletal wings? The Ad Mech, for as much fun we makes with memes about them, are on the bleeding edge of Imperial technology, they're not building stuff from the 16th cenury and slapping guns on the front.

Huh. That looks nice. though I don't know if its the paintjob or the angle or what but it looks like its melting. Kinda weird there. Is that just me?
    As well as a dozen unnecessary fins (it's orky, it's fine) it's got a black 'flame' pattern, it could probably have used a bit more contrast to make it stand out a bit more.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-11-30 at 12:40 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly the same thought occurred to me - it'd need a box all to itself with no layer of foam above it. Definitely lose the cherubs and make it more 'flat', but then you're losing half of the model.
    Like... how its the one with the Fleur even attached? It looks like its just floating up there. Ya, this is the Saint Celestine problem all over again. No Cherubs and models need firm connection to the base. Looks fine if you ditch them honestly, so it looks like just CAD slapping.

I agree. hey look like soldiers who do heavy PT so that they can run around swinging giant chainswords a people, not like swimsuit models posing with toys. Probably the best that we could have asked for, given their previous incarnations.
    I was looking a bit more and I got worried that we got Schwazenagger with boobs, but I realized that seemed to just be an angle thing and they have reasonably sized biceps. Their legs are freaking huge though, which Im not surprised by.

And ya, the old ones had too small arms, Im not sure if that was some weird modeling quirk of being metal or they just seemed tiny because the Catachans of that time looked like He-Man. There's some weird things in all old GW models.

If it had been made for AoS I think it would have been great - definitely a nice sculpt that is suitable for Kharadron Overlords or maybe something cooked up by the Skaven.... But chicken-legs underneath skeletal wings? The Ad Mech, for as much fun we makes with memes about them, are on the bleeding edge of Imperial technology, they're not building stuff from the 16th cenury and slapping guns on the front.
    Like, the weirdest thing Ad Mech as model wise is the Chicken Walkers, which just look like Sentinels with Motorcycle seats on them, so its not that weird. That thing?

It looks like some insnae thing the Imperial College of Engineers in WHFB came up with, or Dwarves or Skaven. Like... Yes Ad Mech goes Baroque on occasion, but that is just downright nuts.

As well as a dozen unnecessary fins (it's orky, it's fine) it's got a black 'flame' pattern, it could probably have used a bit more contrast to make it stand out a bit more.
    I figured that's what was going on, I jsut wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Aight, so I'm drumming up some Deathwatch/Inquisition writing, if ya'll wanna check it out that'd be really nice.
    You should post this in the fluff thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    The Triumph of St. Katherine is way too busy. I blame the cherubs myself, they take up a lot of vertical and horizontal real estate. Would have been better as a hover platform or being carried by penitents or something.

I like the Repentia, they look a bit like body builders which suits rather well imo. I do think they could do with more self-flagellation themed stuff. I have a hard time imagining them going into battle with bare heads rather than wearing some kind of uncomfortable, shameful or actively painful headgear.
    The Cherubs do kinda make the model much more difficult to do anything with.

Eh, the self-flagellation stuff never made that much sense to me. Being in pain makes it harder to fight and open wounds are a horrible thing to have on the battlefield. They are trying to redeem themselves, not just commit suicide. I also like the crude armor that some of them are wearing. Overall, I feel like the Repentia are the most human looking models I've seen them make.

And once again, I find myself liking the weird new Ad Mech thing that everyone hates. It's a hopper/glider, that would actually be ideal on a planet like Mars.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #96

Griffon

Like... how is the one with the Fleur even attached? It looks like its just floating up there.
    Look really closely - the cherub with the fleur is attached by the wing of the one next to it, which in turn is held up by the long, unrolled scroll of paper, which is attached to the shoulder of the Sister with the platter of rose petals in her hands. I think.

'Delicate' doesn't even begin to describe it.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    And once again, I find myself liking the weird new Ad Mech thing that everyone hates. It's a hopper/glider, that would actually be ideal on a planet like Mars.
    If it was some goofy art piece in a story, or some weird personal transport vehicle on Mars I wouldn't care as much because then its just back to normal 40k weirdness. But its a War Vehicle and... like what the hell? We have Thunderhawks, Stormtalons, Lightnings, Thunderbolts and Vultures and the Ad Mech uses...that thing?

Like, I was expecting a souped up Vulture loaded down with either Phosphor Weapons or Volkite Blaster, maybe one with a huge Eradication Array or Neutron Laser. Y'know, the angry fist of the Machine God not a Magos' personal toy.

Like, Im still a bit annoyed that they didn't go full into the Obliteratii of the Ad Mech. I want my Murder Servitors and Disintegration arrays on horrific Eclipse Phase style war machines like the novels gave me, and I say this as someone who likes the Kataphrons, I'd just like somre more options in various slots.

Look really closely - the cherub with the fleur is attached by the wing of the one next to it, which in turn is held up by the long, unrolled scroll of paper, which is attached to the shoulder of the Sister with the platter of rose petals in her hands. I think.

'Delicate' doesn't even begin to describe it.
    Oh ya, that was CAD slapped on. We need to establish a new test for all GW models. Make the designer assemble it, paint it and then have to transport it, in their own vehicle or by other means of their own one hour away.

I think we'd see less utterly ridiculous bit add ons like that
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2019-11-30 at 12:56 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

You should post this in the fluff thread.

The Cherubs do kinda make the model much more difficult to do anything with.

Eh, the self-flagellation stuff never made that much sense to me. Being in pain makes it harder to fight and open wounds are a horrible thing to have on the battlefield. They are trying to redeem themselves, not just commit suicide. I also like the crude armor that some of them are wearing. Overall, I feel like the Repentia are the most human looking models I've seen them make.

Im guessing the self-flagellation would be to trigger hypno conditioned responses or a pump of stimulant drugs, not to actually cause lasting damage. Sort of like mini Eversors

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Im guessing the self-flagellation would be to trigger hypno conditioned responses or a pump of stimulant drugs, not to actually cause lasting damage. Sort of like mini Eversors
    On that note, do we know how Repentia did this Codex? I'm nopt expecting 'good' but are they at least usable? And I mean more usable than Vespid in 6th edition.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

On that note, do we know how Repentia did this Codex? I'm nopt expecting 'good' but are they at least usable? And I mean more usable than Vespid in 6th edition.
    A reviewer was hyping them up, though I'm not sure how valid they actually are. I think you can get them up to 5 attacks each at S8 Ap-2 2D, and then you can make them fight again. Also if they die in the fight phase I'm pretty sure you can make them do mortal wounds back on a 4+.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #101

Griffon

The next three Psychic Awakening books have been announced.

Book 4: Ritual of the Damned (confirmed to be Grey Knights/Dark Angels/Thousand Sons) Also, check out that voice - it's the Dungeon Keeper!

Book 5: The Greater Good

Book 6: Saga of the Beast

Five is, of course, going to be Tau versus... More Tau? Maybe the homeworld vs the Farsight Enclaves, or either/both going out to track down the 4h Sphere Expansionists? Not yet clear who he antagonists are going to be, as nearly all of the other big factions have been spoken for, and Tau vs Necrons feels a bit... weird and pointless.

And with a name like that, Book 6 can only be Orks - Maybe Ghazghull is finally going to achieve his Final Form and literally go Beastmode on some poor schlubbs. Astra Militarum feels like a good match for them, but again, no word on their counterpart yet.

...If I have to buy another freaking book with a picture of someone else's army on the front cover, like I did for Faith & Fury, I am going to be seriously pissed... And I play both Grey Knights and Thousand Sons so it's virtually guaranteed to be Dark Angels!
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-11-30 at 02:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

A reviewer was hyping them up, though I'm not sure how valid they actually are. I think you can get them up to 5 attacks each at S8 Ap-2 2D, and then you can make them fight again. Also if they die in the fight phase I'm pretty sure you can make them do mortal wounds back on a 4+.
    So they can actually put out damage. All right. Now to wait and see if they have any ability to actually get into combat.

The next three Psychic Awakening books have been announced.

Book 4: Ritual of the Damned (confirmed to be Grey Knights/Dark Angels/Thousand Sons) Also, check out that voice - it's the Dungeon Keeper!

Five is, of course, going to be Tau versus... More Tau? Maybe the homeworld vs the Farsight Enclaves, or either/both going out to track down the 4h Sphere Expansionists? Not yet clear who he antagonists are going to be, as nearly all of the other big factions have been spoken for, and Tau vs Necrons feels a bit... weird and pointless.

And with a name like that, Book 6 can only be Orks - Maybe Ghazghull is finally going to achieve his Final Form and literally go Beastmode on some poor schlubbs. Astra Militarum feels like a good match for them, but again, no word on their counterpart yet.

...If I have to buy another freaking book with a picture of someone else's army on the front cover, like I did for Faith & Fury, I am going to be seriously pissed... And I play both Grey Knights and Thousand Sons so it's virtually guaranteed to be Dark Angels!
    I would assume that Saga would be Orks vs Nids cuz that was still going on last I checked.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

Griffon

Book 1 - Phoenix Rising (Aeldari vs Drucharii)

Book 2 - Faith & Fury (Black Templars vs. Traitor Marines)

Book 3 - Blood of Baal (Blood Angels vs Tyranids)

Of all the major factions announced so far there are some outstanding: Space Wolves, Ad Mech, Astra Militarum, Necrons, Death Guard and Daemons. Which is assuming that there aren't any more small factions getting focus, like Black Templars - that could include the Inquisition, Custodes, Militarum Tempestus and the outstanding Traitor Marines that weren't in Faith & Fury like the Black Legion.

Orks vs. Imperial Guard seems to make sense as the Orks burst forth and encounter the Imperium again, but that's just a guess on my part. Tau versus.....? Your guess is as good as mine. Ad Mech makes sense, if they're getting new models like the new flyer, maybe?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-11-30 at 03:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Between previous rumors and the codex writer's love of the word "Saga," I'm pretty sure book 6 is Space Wolves vs. Ghahzgull.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

15. - Top - End - #105

Oh come on, with a name like Saga of the Beast, you think it's going to be anyone other than Space Wolves?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

16. - Top - End - #106

Griffon

Oh yeah, I see it now. Nice thinking, guys.

So.... Space Wolves versus Orks - that incredibly well known rivalry that... has... never.... ever.... been mentioned before?

Helbrecht is gonna be pissed when he finds out that he got bogged down fighting Word Bearer nerds while Wolf-Lord Wolfy McWolfington stepped in and took a scalp that was rightfully his. Now there's a story I'd like to read about; the Master of the Black Templars steps off a ship, immediately back-hands some Space Wolf across his stupid, pointy-toothed beard and asks him to explain just what in the Emperor-damned hells does he think he's playing at?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-11-30 at 05:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

So.... Space Wolves versus Orks - that incredibly well known rivalry that... has... never.... ever.... been mentioned before?

Helbrecht is gonna be pissed when he finds out that he got bogged down fighting Word Bearer nerds while Wolf-Lord Wolfy McWolfington stepped in and took a scalp that was rightfully his. Now there's a story I'd like to read about; the Master of the Black Templars steps off a ship, immediately back-hands some Space Wolf across his stupid, pointy-toothed beard and asks him to explain just what in the Emperor-damned hells does he think he's playing at?
    Ya, thats a combo I'm sad didn't happen.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

*Ahem* Sanctus Reach. I wonder if they're going to bring back Grukk Face-Rippa, since he has a model still and all.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2019-11-30 at 06:08 PM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Tau vs Guard or AdMech wouldn't be a huge surprise to be honest. Not only is Tau vs Enclaves horrendously overdone at this point, it also means you can't sell 1 book to two (or more) different factions.

We already knew one of the books was going to be Orks vs Woofs for a while, so yeah, if the name didn't give it away, we're just going to do Sanctus Reach all over again. At least it's not Woofs vs Dustbins for the 43rd time.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Guard point changes:

Astropath -11
    Leman Russ -15
    Mortar +4
    Lascannon -5
    Missile launcher -5
    Scions -2
    Baneblade -40
    Banehammer -40
    Banesword -40
    Gatling punisher +10
    Ratling -2
    Wyvern +10
    Crusader -2
    Ogryn +6

Ork changes:

Bommdakka -20
    Kopta -10
    KBB -20
    Skrappjet -10
    Rukkatrukk -40
    Dragsta -18
    Warbike Nobz -5
    Deff Dreads -10
    Flashgitz -6
    Killakan -10
    Stompa -50
    Smashagunz +2
    Skorcha Missle -15

Genestealer Cults

Aberrants +3
    - Heavy Improvised Weapon +15
    Metamorphs -2
    - Claw -2
    Kelermorph +15
    Ridgerunner -15
    Leman Russ -15
    Rock Drill -2
    Missile launcher -5
    Mortar +2
    Clearance Incinerator -10
    Demo charge +5
    Hvy Mining Laser -10
    hvy Seismic Cannon -5

Custodes:

Allarus -5
    SC -10
    Allarus SC -10
    LR -12
    Traj -5
    Axe -3
    Spear -3
    Misericordia -1
    Stormshield -5
    Vexilla Imperius -30
    Caladius -10

'Nids

Biovores 40 (-10)
    Exocrine 155 (-15)
    Gargoyles 5 (-1)
    Haruspex 150 (-20)
    Raveners 18 (-5)
    Malanthrope 120 (-20)
    Last edited by Drasius; 2019-11-30 at 07:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

LOL. Guess Ogryns are going to go from not being used to still not being used. Wonder who bullied the design team with them.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    LOL. Guess Ogryns are going to go from not being used to still not being used. Wonder who bullied the design team with them.
    The ITC.
    Which units get used? Which units don't get used. Which is really dumb, considering that the ITC doesn't even play by the rules.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-11-30 at 07:14 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #113

Ogryns saw play in the ITC? News to me.

Anyway, my tournament list just got a whole bunch cheaper. Wonder what else I can fit in now.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2019-11-30 at 07:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Necron changes? No? Probably won't even matter?
    Oh well, there's a pretty high chance I'm selling them here soon anyways. Sad times.

I actually like the AdMech flyer, no joke. I keep thinking of just saying "screw it" and picking up Aeronautica since it looks really fun.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh. That's plus 6....Weird.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Necron changes? No? Probably won't even matter?
    Oh well, there's a pretty high chance I'm selling them here soon anyways. Sad times.

I actually like the AdMech flyer, no joke. I keep thinking of just saying "screw it" and picking up Aeronautica since it looks really fun.
    That's not a comprehensive list. Here you go.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Idle musing... What would the game be like if you were limited to one battalion + one optional patrol detachment (For the purposes of this discussion, mini-factions like the Inquisition and Sisters of Silence have their most suitable unit(s) made into a troops chocie)? What about a kill-team, I go, you go system?

Between Ragnar and Krom, the younger Wolf Lords actually have a pretty established rivalry with orks. Still, Thousand Sons vs. Space Wolves would have made more sense.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

That's not a comprehensive list. Here you go.
    Nice review, but while I understand that they can't just put a list of changes in, it's still a little annoying that there's no list.

Still, won't be long until CA is out and we can all see for ourselves.

More than a little surprised Ahriman on disk didn't go up seeing as he's an auto-include, but whatever. A 30 block of Tzaangors for DMC shenanigans still feels pretty important despite the fact that there's far more answers these days.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Between Ragnar and Krom, the younger Wolf Lords actually have a pretty established rivalry with orks. Still, Thousand Sons vs. Space Wolves would have made more sense.
    Yeah, a Krom v. Grukk grudge match would totally be a thing. Dragongaze probably wants his Thunderhawk back.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, my tournament list just got a whole bunch cheaper. Wonder what else I can fit in now.
    Bullgryns did and do. Ogryns though, I don't think so. I wonder if someone was complaining about Bullgryns stomping casual games and just used the wrong name.

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    If X-Wing is a thing in your community, then I encourage you to go with that instead. Gameplay wise, they are very similar, but X-Wing has a lot more options due to its age, and I personally really appreciate how I can go, buy a model, open its case, and use it immediately with no work.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show