New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Favorite Battleship Movies?

Any good movies out there take place on a 20th century Battleship? Any decent movies about Warspite or I guess even Turpitz or Bizmarck or Scharnhorst or Hood? Perhaps even a Jutland movie worth seeing?

Oh! The Grand Old Lady, HMS Warspite! You could span both world wars with that one and have sccesses and failures.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Battleship Movies?

Battleship, obviously. You'll never see a battleship drifting like it's Fast and Furious in another movie.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

20th century? I can't think of any that aren't Michael Bay or Bay-ish things.

Some really great submarine movies, and excellent age of sails works -- love Master and Commander and The Sea Hawk.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Battleship, obviously. You'll never see a battleship drifting like it's Fast and Furious in another movie.
    Okay, technically a destroyer and not a battleship, but....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, there's this that takes place on a battleship, and for bonus points has Erika Eleniak busting out of a cake, but it's probably not what you were thinking of...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, there's this that takes place on a battleship, and for bonus points has Erika Eleniak busting out of a cake, but it's probably not what you were thinking of...
    Sadly, I think that actually might be the best you're likely to get.

Hollywood's pretty bad at war movies these days, and has been for a while. They like the spectacle of warfare – explosions and gunfire and screaming and extras getting killed in the background – but they don't like going into any depth.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Right, I had to work out that you meant the century that started 1901 and ended 1999 or there abouts.

I don't think there are many that take place on a battleship. There are films about battleships, but most of them are seen from outside, though there are probably a few shots of on-board life.

For shipboard life there's "The pink submarine" or The Cruel Sea", but the ships involved aren't battleships.

There's "Sink the Bismark" but I don't remember whether there are any shots on a mockup of part of the ship. There's also "Battle of the River Plate" but the ships aren't battleships.

There's probably a comedy set on a battleship, but I don't remember one.

There are dozens of war films, possibly hundreds, I don't remember titles well at all.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There's "Sink the Bismark" but I don't remember whether there are any shots on a mockup of part of the ship.
    There are certainly shots showing the captains of the various ships involved on their bridge, but don't think there's a huge amount else. Thinking about it, it's not a battleship, but "The Final Countdown" was filmed mostly aboard the nuclear powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    Any good movies out there take place on a 20th century Battleship? Any decent movies about Warspite or I guess even Turpitz or Bizmarck or Scharnhorst or Hood? Perhaps even a Jutland movie worth seeing?

Oh! The Grand Old Lady, HMS Warspite! You could span both world wars with that one and have sccesses and failures.
    Бронено́сец «Потёмкин»

aka

Battleship Potemkin
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I mean, "Space Battleship Yamato" (aka:Star Blazers) takes place on a battleship named after a real battleship in the time period in question.

It's also great.

Sorry that's all I've got.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

This is going even further away from a Battleship but Das Boot is maybe the greatest war movie I've ever seen

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096...4?ref_=nv_sr_4
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If we're branching out to 'naval movies' in general, Down Periscope is still a laugh riot.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    This is going even further away from a Battleship but Das Boot is maybe the greatest war movie I've ever seen

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096...4?ref_=nv_sr_4
    I was going to recommend this one.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Filming at sea is expensive, which imposes serious limitations on the ability to produce naval movies. Submarines are slightly easier because for the most part it is impossible for the audience to determine if a submarine is actually at sea, and therefore you can use a decommissioned sub that's just sitting somewhere (portions of The Hunt for Red October were filmed onboard the USS Blueback, which is sitting in the river in Portland, OR).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    Okay, technically a destroyer and not a battleship, but....
    I thought that was going to be the dream sequence from "in the navy" (which I can't find).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Submarines aren't battleships, but Das Boot is riveting. Sure, some of the effects doesn't hold up so well in modern times, but it's still very effective in my opinion.
    Going back further than the 20th Century, I'm a big fan of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. It's really too bad they never made another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Filming at sea is expensive, which imposes serious limitations on the ability to produce naval movies. Submarines are slightly easier because for the most part it is impossible for the audience to determine if a submarine is actually at sea, and therefore you can use a decommissioned sub that's just sitting somewhere (portions of The Hunt for Red October were filmed onboard the USS Blueback, which is sitting in the river in Portland, OR).
    Anything to stop them from using a decommissioned battleship and just digitally editing things though? I can't imagine a contemporary battleship movie would cost more than, say, Titanic. Especially with the deal studios get with the American military so long as they portray them positively.

There was even that television show Michael Bay did... The Last Ship. That seemed to have an actual ship in it, and that was for TNT.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

There were a whole bunch of warship films made in the 1940s and 1950s, I heard mainly using models in big tanks.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Anything to stop them from using a decommissioned battleship and just digitally editing things though? I can't imagine a contemporary battleship movie would cost more than, say, Titanic. Especially with the deal studios get with the American military so long as they portray them positively.
    Well, that's how they made Battleship, but they didn't have any good way to show the ship moving in actual water, which imposed major restrictions on the action (one of many reasons why that movie was terrible).

There was even that television show Michael Bay did... The Last Ship. That seemed to have an actual ship in it, and that was for TNT.
    I don't know how much naval action was actually shown in that show. I do know that the pirate show Black Sails spends an awful lot of time on land for cost-related reasons.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Anything to stop them from using a decommissioned battleship and just digitally editing things though? I can't imagine a contemporary battleship movie would cost more than, say, Titanic.
    It's worth noting that Titanic was the most expensive film in history until Avatar came along.

It was a gigantic risk for James Cameron. There was a huge amount of doom and gloom ahead of the movie saying its budget had been completely blown and that it was doomed to be a flop and a massive loss for the studio. That it didn't do so in spite of that massive propaganda problem (and that Avatar didn't do so under an even trickier genre) proves that James Cameron is either the luckiest or one of the greatest directors in Western history based on audience numbers.

21. - Top - End - #21

Not totally what I was asking for but thanks for reminding me about that one. Not the WORST of movies and Erika Eleniak like you were kind enough to remind me about.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about ships to dispute it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #23

It's worth noting that Titanic was the most expensive film in history until Avatar came along.

It was a gigantic risk for James Cameron. There was a huge amount of doom and gloom ahead of the movie saying its budget had been completely blown and that it was doomed to be a flop and a massive loss for the studio. That it didn't do so in spite of that massive propaganda problem (and that Avatar didn't do so under an even trickier genre) proves that James Cameron is either the luckiest or one of the greatest directors in Western history based on audience numbers.
    It actually wasn't just one studio, but two (Paramount and 20th century iirc) risking to sink with the ship.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #24

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, the USS Missouri weghts 41.000 tons, which probably means around 50-55.000 tons full. That should explain the sheer impossibility of

a- bringing it to an almost full stop with a simple anchor in a matter of seconds. The most reasonable outcome would just be that the anchor would snap like a thread.

b- turning it sideways using the anchor as a pin. Even if the chain didn't break, the anchor would just drag along the ocean floor. And even if (somehow) it did manage to stop the ship, the bow of a vessel like that is not intended for that type of sideway force and would likely break off.

Really, 50.000+ tons weight an awful lot :)
    Last edited by Jan Mattys; 2019-11-17 at 02:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Mattys View Post
    Well, the USS Missouri weghts 41.000 tons, which probably means around 50-55.000 tons full. That should explain the sheer impossibility of

a- bringing it to an almost full stop with a simple anchor in a matter of seconds. The most reasonable outcome would just be that the anchor would snap like a thread.

b- turning it sideways using the anchor as a pin. Even if the chain didn't break, the anchor would just drag along the ocean floor. And even if (somehow) it did manage to stop the ship, the bow of a vessel like that is not intended for that type of sideway force and would likely break off.

Really, 50.000+ tons weight an awful lot :)
    I knew I should have said stars instead.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #26

PaladinGuy

I knew I should have said stars instead.
    Uh, sorry, I took that literally. I’m from Italy and that quote was completely lost on me. I don’t even know the name of the show.

edit: ok, looked it up. It's Always Sunny and of course I heard about it. But I never saw a single episode. Sorry again
    Last edited by Jan Mattys; 2019-11-17 at 02:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

It would be a forgivable "for fun"offense. Unfortunately it's packed inside a movie about the whiniest little **** you have ever seen who had everything in life handed to him up to and including a ship to command and still thinks his loser ass deserves more. And when the movie finally gets going properly we're treated to a super hamfisted scene where they show us why procuring the rights of a board game to make this film was totally worth it.

The Asylum ripoff of this movie, American Warships, is legitimately the better movie of the two of them. It's only half researched, has cheap effects and gives us a second in command skipping around happily because against all military protocols she's so in love with the skipper, but it's a movie about a friggin battleship, portrayed by a friggin battleship. The Asylum knew who the star of their battleship movie should be, namely the battleship, the makers of the infinitely more expensive Battleship did not. Hence a movie about a whiny little **** in the wrong kind of ship playing an extra large board game.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    but it's a movie about a friggin battleship, portrayed by a friggin battleship. The Asylum knew who the star of their battleship movie should be, namely the battleship, the makers of the infinitely more expensive Battleship did not.
    Fun fact: Battleship Potemkin contains a scene in which the battleship bombs the Odessa Opera House. The whole scene shows no humans. There are only the cannons, the gates of the theatre blowing up, and some dramatic shots of a few lion sculptures. The scene unnerved many actors, because it was clear that you could make a whole film without actors, and make objects play instead of them. Add to this that films were still mute, so voice-overs were simply not possible.

29. - Top - End - #29

I've read about a couple of similar tactics being used, and I doubt it would have snapped the bow off. Firing all guns was usually enough to shove an entire ship sideways, so the hull could take it. More likely to damage the capstan the anchor was on if anything. Oddly, the bigger question would be if the water was actually deep enough to generate sufficient drag by giving the anchor something to grab. Considering the size of the alien ship I wouldn't think so...
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yamato (2005)
    The only "fighting battleship" movie I've seen, where the ship actually looks like it's supposed to.

Back when movies of this sort were popular, they didn't have CGI to make it look correct. Sink the Bismark was pretty good, and I also like The Battle of the River Plate, but a Des Moines Cruiser, masquerading as the Graf Spee is just embarrassing to all navies involved.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -