Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOC Alhallor's mana secret

Most of Zanthia's spells are useless against undead and while she does have CLW, she's learned her lesson about getting in his attack range. She's going to hold.
    Only a fool fights in a burning house - Klingon proverb

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I messed up the spider's ranged touch attack roll, so here it is:
    (1d20+4)[17]
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It seems you have a pretty good idea how to navigate cascade falls. Would you be okay with me giving some descriptions and stopping on the next important thing?

Also, in a totally unrelated way can you read: This or this or this?
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-01-13 at 09:16 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds good to me.

I can barely read the last variant, but that could change depending on what screen I am reading that on.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    It seems you have a pretty good idea how to navigate cascade falls. Would you be okay with me giving some descriptions and stopping on the next important thing?

Also, in a totally unrelated way can you read: This or this or this?
    Not without using the "reply" function

They say "may you live in interesting times"...Ive tried interesting and now I'll take boring.

I am not trusting my research paper to some millennial. They'll put unicorn emojis on it and post it on social media.
    - Sheldon Cooper

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Only the last one, barely. But selecting it with the mouse makes it readable.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

Nexus character: Solstice

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Narrating until the next event sounds good to me. As for the text colors, I can see the last two, but they're both pretty faint.
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

What armor type is the magic armor (chain shirt, chainmail, breastplate etc.)? Might help with doing a quick evaluation if that armor is even useful to anyone of us to potentially put on without identification.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I can't read any of those colours, but if it's bookended with other text I'll know to highlight and read it that way.
    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I guess we're all agreed we'll check upward, and if it's climbable (and not ridiculously difficult or exhausting) Larimar might as well put his climbing skills to use, while the others fly or use the rope thingy. So onward, to the next important thing!
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

11. - Top - End - #191

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Someone very important View Post
    I guess I try that if it's workable, also gives a nice etheric feel I think.
    Too much info about the armor that is not mechanical.

Mechanically it's a breastplate.

There is nearly every armor known to man somehow integrated, but it's a breastplate.

I'm also very sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-01-14 at 04:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

*zoom in on rabite's face* "Does this look like the face of mercy to you, punk?"

Thaum could put on the armor, since he can wear up to medium armor, but I feel it's not really worth it, unless the armor has an amazing enchantment. He would get hit with much higher weight, ACP, a speed penalty, not being able to sleep in the armor, and not being able to wear the armor under other clothing, in exchange for a measly +1 AC in base stats.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-01-14 at 09:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

I think I need to risk it for the biscuit. Accelerated climbing check.. though it seems the DC wasn't too high to begin with.

(1d20+5)[18]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well played, both of you! That was what I'd intended, but you did it with style.

15. - Top - End - #195

RedWizardGuy

If I have it right climbing a rope without knots along the way is a DC 10 climb check.

I find it tedious to wait for everyone to roll and you definitely can find a way to make the climb even if you should not succeed on a 10. Climbing faster definitely worked what made you being there before the others arrived.

@Toliudar: The amulet is an Amulet of Mighty fang +1 with the mentioned smell supressing function that you can turn on and off as a immediate Action. Definitely useful for a sneaky Ghast that you can normally smell miles before he appears.

@Ridai: Well you definitely could put it on but you would not know about the enchantment bonus (perhaps by doing some Trial and error.) but even then you would not find out if it has any other properties, if it even has any.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes. Need more magical tricks. Some scrolls of comprehend languages would have been great to have!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

If I have it right climbing a rope without knots along the way is a DC 10 climb check.

I find it tedious to wait for everyone to roll and you definitely can find a way to make the climb even if you should not succeed on a 10. Climbing faster definitely worked what made you being there before the others arrived.
    The rod of ropes reels itself in. When we arrive at the stone bridge, all we would need to do is reach up to the ledge and pull ourselves up.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

You know what? Let's be a nice guy and heal the Chobin.

1 healing belt charge: (2d8)[5]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

I'm also tempted to use a scroll of endure elements... realistically being soaked by all that water in your clothes (and fur) would sap all the heat out of you in no time. Especially in a cave.

Who knows, maybe it can also have a tiny resistance bonus to being pelted by natural water.

20. - Top - End - #200

RedWizardGuy

Edited in the effect the healing had and some other stuff.

@Windstruck: That's a really good point and something I never implement in my normal P&P group, though I'd say it's a bit late for me to implement it now.

For reference, after the chobin encounter you spent roughly 30 minutes "climbing".

What I forgot: Everyone who looked at the Amulet of Mighty Fang can make a Knowledge:Religion check if you're trained in the skill.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-01-16 at 07:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

What about a knowledge check to identify the snake thing?

(1d20)[2] + x

22. - Top - End - #202

RedWizardGuy

@ Windstruck: With that roll you just know the General Information, sorry.

Seems like Aned would have needed something! I wanna say that the wet environment was gradually increased and if Aned (or any other character should Aned have explained his racial weakness to the others) wanted to do something against it, you could still do that in retrospect.

Though I really like the description of how she feels. I suffered with her.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Sense Motive against the naga (1d20+22)[39]

If that succeeds, Thaum can attempt a Diplomacy check against the naga's Bluff check to trick it into accidentally revealing its lie and why it lied.

24. - Top - End - #204

RedWizardGuy

Sense Motive succeeds, then you can actually roll a Diplomacy. I try to work this in the narrative.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-01-17 at 11:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I think the naga already swallowed someone or something. It would probably spit up whatever it has later.

I wonder if using a rope would help get through the water, once the strongest person gets through? Or do you think expeditious retreat would help and reduce the time needed to get through?

26. - Top - End - #206

RedWizardGuy

Both good ideas. I'd say with a rope fastened on both sides the DC should be reduced by two. So it's just 8. I'm not sure about expeditious retreat... The challenge is not going through that fast (you could get through with just your normal movement) the difficulty lies in getting through it while being battered by electrified water... But it should help... I'd say you could count your strength like it's 4 levels higher (like bears strength in that specific situation.)

What is up with the Naga you have to find out if you're through the obstacle. :)
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-01-20 at 12:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

So, quick check: is Thaum hogging the spotlight too much? With PbP games, I usually try to respond as soon as I can and do what I can, in order to keep whatever game I am in going (as PbP games are prone to slowly petering out once they start losing steam). So far, Thaum usually had something to help solve the problems/obstacles we faced, so I applied them (and I really, really like that I can provide support in a lot of ways and actually have to make decisions in fights), but I'm a little afraid that I am stepping on other characters' toes, such as taking away opportunities from Zanthia to talk things out, or denying other characters chances to fight/chime in, whether in general or against standout opponents like the ghast.

If there is an issue, what can I do to do better?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

I think Thaum is doing fine.

Still confused about just one thing though. Why are we going through the waterfall and not just straight up?

It's not really been clear if we've been climbing or flying, or just following along some predetermined path? Which is hopefully correct.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia took her shot at solving the situation, but the naga seemed uninterested in what she had to say and didnt believe the statue was real, so I was left with little for her to do, word tricking the naga is not something she can do. So its not an issue.

- Sheldon Cooper

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I think Thaum is doing fine.

Still confused about just one thing though. Why are we going through the waterfall and not just straight up?

It's not really been clear if we've been climbing or flying, or just following along some predetermined path? Which is hopefully correct.
    Because of this:
    With your method of travel you can get up without any problems. Sometimes Aned may see a Ghoul or a fleshy looking pink blob but they all scatter away after seeing the light. On one bridge the entrance is closed off by a cave-in but with your method of travel you have no problem still getting up further. You all get the feeling that the cave-system goes up more than it should and that you should have already reached the summit, but there is still some ways to go. The roaring of water get's louder the farther you go up and at one bridge you can't get up with the rod of ropes and need to choose another way. By that point it's practically raining down on you and besides the bridge you have reached are two streams of water that are going down, that are further split up by more bridges.
    Most of the group has been using the Rod of Ropes to climb up (grapple a spot, Thaum and Rina grab onto the item, passengers hold onto them, and then let the rod pull them up, rinse, repeat), but now it seems like there is only a hell of a lot of extremely electrified water further up and we need to find a different way.

The naga regurgitating didn't really cross my mind, as a snake's young are pretty much ready to go hunt for food by themselves from the get-go, so expelling what they have eaten is more a sign of something being wrong.