New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Council of Thieves [Bastards of Erebus] (IC)

COUNCIL OF THIEVES: BASTARDS OF EREBUS

The city of Westcrown is dying. Since being stripped of its station as the capital of Cheliax, the wealth and prestige of the city has gradually slipped away, leaving the desperate people to fend for themselves in a city beset by criminals, a corrupt nobility, and a shadowy curse. Can the PCs fight back against champions of both the law and the criminal world?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-11-29 at 04:49 PM.
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Council of Thieves [Bastards of Erebus] (IC)

VIZIO'S TAVERN (Toilday, 3 Arodus 4709 AR - Mid-Summer)

Janiven spends the afternoon at Vizio’s Tavern, preparing for her meeting with the PCs. If any of the PCs arrives early (notably Aldo, as he was contacted last night and had nothing better to do), they find her going about the business of preparing food and doing some minor repair work; she acknowledges their presence, invites them to be seated, and offers them some ale to pass the time, but politely refuses to answer any questions at that time until all of the PCs have arrived.

As you each gather .... please describe your PC to the others!

Here is another picture of Janiven as a more "all-business" ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-01 at 11:22 PM.
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kavina in her guise as Gabrielle the courtesan, arrives early to check out the tavern for possible threats. Assuming she doesn’t spot any obvious danger, she will enter and take a table to the side where she can see the front and rear entrances. She is tall, (5’-8”) thin, with lovely aristocratic features. She is wearing full makeup that accentuates her eyes (green) and full red lips. She is wearing a green silk dress with lotus embroidery with revealing décolletage. Her jewelry sparkles in the torch light. She crosses her legs ( to better reveal the shapes of her legs through the long side slit to her dress) and orders a glass of wine.

4. - Top - End - #4

Unfortunately, Vizio's Tavern is not a purveyor of wine, and Janiven - the only one working the tavern right now - is too busy to satisfy the lady's wishes. So, various ales are her choices.

There are several others who come in (more recruits) and after a drink head out (okay, maybe not). Though you have been invited, this is still an operating tavern. That said, Aldo (already there) and Gabriella note that while Janiven is making a dinner, she has posted a sign that reads:

Special Dinner Function
    All Guests Not Invited, Out by 3:45
    (No Meals Today)

Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-02 at 08:43 AM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo is one of the better dressed folks in the tavern. Dressed in a fine courtier outfit, he sipped at an ale, his grey eyes calmly scanning the room. On the taller side as far as Halflings went, his clean shaven face was topped with a more-messy-than-he'd-like brown mane. His body language was that of a calm, relaxed young man, but there was the ever-so-subtle twinge of anxiety underlining that only a keen observer would notice. His eyebrows had raised at Gabrielle's entrance, but he had elected to play it safe; better to wait until everyone arrived before making any moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tia entered the Tavern just a few minutes before the hour. The young looking lady has skin like brass, contrasting almost disturbingly with her deep black hair and her piercing blue eyes. Even compared to human women, she stands fairly short and relatively slender, but it's easy to see that she's physically strong, be it her step or her muscles. She's dressed pretty modestly, wearing a casual black outfit that matches her hair with a Chain Shirt over her black long-sleeved shirt. Attached to her belt is a small pouch, and around her neck is a brooch that appears to be relatively valuable. At the very least it stands out compared to her outfit. Finally, if you looked closely enough, you'd be sure that the light was actually dimmed around her, but you aren't quite sure.

She takes in the surroundings, then finds herself a seat at a table near the other, surprisingly attractive woman, and keeps her eyes on the others that remain, especially Janiven, who she assumes is connected to the note she received, seeing as she doesn't know the woman's name yet.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

7. - Top - End - #7

Coming in a few minutes behind Tia is a very tall person. Topping out around 6'4", this is an elf like none of you have ever seen, and that is if he is even an elf in the first place. He is broad-chested, yet slender (143 lbs.), and possesses very uncommon coloring. Many of the elves who languish in the city (for they usually do not find themselves in the upper tiers of society) often go through a strange event that tends to make them ashy white, called the Forlorn. Others that pass through Westcrown and seem to be of a healthier coloring tend to sport colors related to their homes - greens for forest, browns and soft grays for mountains, you have even heard of snow-white elves from far north.

This elf seems to be colored perfectly for life in a country dedicated to the Hellfather (blacks and reds), for his hair is a medium gray. Not gray like any type of human gray from aging, for even this soot-like gray has a vibrancy to it. His eyes are orange, practically glowing and gem-like, almost as if they were made of fire opals and set in his skull. His face is also a light gray, and possessed of unknown markings of a slightly darker gray upon them. Despite this almost gothic coloring, he seems to be practically brimming with vivacity, and is possessed of an unearthly beauty (that the picture just can't capture) that surely makes him the most noticeable male in any room he is in.

The thing is, he is almost too beautiful, even for a "normal" elf, and those among you who are familiar to any degree with elven demographics feel that something is not quite right, but you don't know what. As if he is an elf, and yet maybe not.

He wears a traveler's clothing and a couple pouches. A body baldric holds a two-handed sword at his back, but the shape of the scabbard suggests that it is not a straight blade.

His dark coloring, however, in no way defines his mood. His smile is wan, but ever-present. His clothes are not threadbare, but actually made of high quality and quite beautiful - perfectly accenting not only his own coloring, but his shape and even angle. And surprising of all is a little wooden holy symbol of Shelyn hanging on a cord of black ribbon.

When he comes in, he doesn't do the paranoid scan of the room, but simply walks in and goes to a table, nodding in quiet deference to his hostess who returns the favor.

Janiven serves another round of ale to the invitees, but begins to usher all other patrons out (barring a drunk that is passed out in the corner). She seems nervous, as if waiting for maybe another as the hour approaches. (That would be Folco.)
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Folco Cassani arrives fashionably late, slipping through the front door and scanning the room. Folco is clearly human-adjacent, with sharply pointed ears and small curving horns the color of fading coals. He's dressed in reds and golds, clearly meant to stand out and accent his long red hair, golden eyes, and skin the color of hammered brass. An embroidered satchel hangs off his right hip, and an oddly plain looking, basket-hilted rapier sits on his left.

Spotting Janiven (and the rest of the odd cast of characters), he'll take a seat at the indicated table, moving with confidence and a light step.

9. - Top - End - #9

Janiven serves up dinner: pan-fried, small, thick buckwheat noodles with truffle oil, anise and chervil with a salad of diced collard greens and snowberries. Dinner is satisfactory but not exceptional. Janiven joins them in the meal, during which she engages in idle chat with the PCs or simply watches as they get to know each other.
    Spoiler: Aldo, Folco, Elf
    Show
    The two PCs (and NPC) recognize that Janiven's worried about something, but seems forthright in general, although she glances at the front window every few minutes.

You can feel free to use this time to begin to get to know each other...
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tia looked around the table, eating carefully, speaking to the others in between bites. "To break the ice, I gues we should introduce ourselves. I am Tia Hendros, who do I have the pleasure of dining with?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Folco Cassani, scholar and layabout." He offers her, flashing a smile. "And the pleasure is all mine." He's hardly eaten at all. Hasnt even touched his beer.

12. - Top - End - #12

Janiven smiles while grabbing the pane di altimura off the block on the counter and breaking it into chunks to hand around the table. "Fitting you asked that question, Tia. I am Janiven Key, co-owner of Vizio's Tavern. I am the one who left that note for you in the book I saw you reading the day before. I had a feeling you'd be back, so today I went in, waited for you and dropped the book where you'd find it. And Signore Cassani, it's a pleasure to formally meet you."

The elf takes the bread handed him and wolfishly attacks the truffle oil remaining on his plate. It seems that the idea of a dainty elf falls to the wayside in light of an impressive hunger. He chews and swallows before speaking, so at least he has some awareness of social grace. "Meijen Gim," he says in a lower tenor. "Emissary, magician, dancer, Shelynite swordsman."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-02 at 07:29 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo gave a slight bow "Aldo Coldvale. Following the path of my late uncle Silva, I too am an actor." Smirking at Folco, he continues. "And I'm sure there's plenty of pleasure to go around."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2019-12-02 at 07:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The tall attractive woman in the green silk dress fans herself briefly as she smiles at Janiven, amusement twinkling in her eyes. Her perfume swirls about the table as she stirs the air.
    ”I am Gabrielle. I am here at Ms. Janiven’s behest. Although she only paid for the single rate and accommodations will need to be made if I am to entertain more than that.
    She runs her tongue to briefly wet her lips.

15. - Top - End - #15

Nobody seems to make any sign of recognition when Aldo mentions his last name or his late uncle Silva (other than previously, through Janiven). Then again, it does seem to be a relatively young crowd, and Aldo can't account for someone's lack of taste or exposure to culture. Perhaps the Shelynite elf, but he actually seems to be foreign, so he has an excuse.

At Gabriella's comment, Meijin - with no ounce of urbane duplicity whatsoever - asks, "Are you a performance artist, Gabriella? When asking directions to the tavern, I actually heard somebody mention that if I wanted the company of a real artist, I should seek out a 'Signorigna Gabriella' that he saw heading this way. I asked about that person - if that person is you - and I was told that she sets up one-one-one performances, rather than showing her art to an assemblage. Oh, and can someone please tell me why I should visit the habitation of felines? I love all animals, but another gentleman in the first gentleman's social circle mentioned that it might help remove 'the stick that got misplaced.' Another idiom I'm afraid I don't understand...."

As an afterthought he adds, "Maybe it was some type of pejorative against me, having to do with nature, because I am one of the Faerie Folk?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-03 at 01:27 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo put his hand together expressively. "Sweetie, you have to understand that the humans are sometimes a bit embarrassed about physical intimacy, so they use a lot of euphemisms to avoid talking about it directly." He shrugged. "I find it cute, but it's sometime irritating that they feel the need to dance around the subject."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Perhaps... you should avoid strange company. This city stands to eat you alive otherwise." Folco had been listening intently, nursing the beer. "... They wanted you to visit a brothel." He says simply, with growing amusement, to the dark skinned elf. Then, to Aldo, with a jabbed fork for enphasis: "Euphamism is fun. It's like sharing a secret with poetry."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tia has been quietly staring at Gabriella, quietly comparing herself to the more attractive woman. She suddenly breaks out of her stupor, realizing she hadn't been paying attention. She tears her gaze out and watches the rest of the group, eating calmly while she listens.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Ohhh," says Meijen absently at first, before following that right up with "Ohhh!" which on his second, more empahatic delivery with bulging eyes means he now understands. He then gives Gabriella an odd look as if trying to figure something out about her, before looking at the food on his plate with laser focus while he eats for the rest of the meal.

The fact that the elf had such a dramatic change of perspective is enough to make Janiven chuckle. And so, idle chatter continues until after the meal has concluded. Once dinner is over, and with still a few hours to go before sundown, Janiven locks the front door and shutters the windows, then takes a deep breath and thanks the PCs for attending the meeting. She again assures them that they’ll be done in less than an hour, with plenty of time left over for everyone to get home before sunset. Her speech is short, but delivered with great passion.

“Again, thank you for agreeing to meet with me here. I have chosen each of you for a singular reason—everyone here, myself included, has suffered, whether we realize it or not. I have lived in Westcrown my whole life, and although I love this city, I must admit, as must you, that despite our peace and prosperity, we continue to suffer. Fear should not be an expected part of life, and yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps. Yes, Westcrown has been safe from war and famine for nearly seventy years, and yes, our businesses has prospered—but this safety and prosperity has been bought in the coinage of fear and prayers to Hell. Other lands live free from tyranny. Other cities do not fear the night. Other governments do not cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows. Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history—she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters! With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!”

Janiven’s words are, of course, treason—everyone in Westcrown knows a friend of a friend of a friend who was taken away by a Hellknight or executed after a swift trial for speaking less treasonous words than what Janiven has just uttered.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-03 at 08:07 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tia smiles after listening to the speech, then speaks up. "You speak well, but what would you have us do? It is ever too easy for someone to just be removed from the city forever, and besides him..." She points at Aldo. "I'm pretty sure we all stand out pretty readily.

21. - Top - End - #21

Janiven is patient and listens to Tia's understandable fears and then addresses the table. "I truly believe that I and a small group of like-minded friends can improve the lives of the people of Westcrown, but we must take care not to appear as rebels or rioters. We must form our own band of protectors, and must work to win the admiration and support of the citizens by doing good works and providing what aid we can."

She then focuses in on Tia, before going back to including everyone else. "Key to this tactic is the fact that Westcrown is largely ignored by the rulers of Cheliax as a home-in-exile for the old nobility. As long as we work to win the hearts of Westcrown's citizens by good deeds and avoid as many direct entanglements with the government as they can, the House of Thrune will continue to ignore what they'll interpret as 'petty squabbling' in the old capital.""
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-03 at 08:54 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo steepled his fingers in thought. His first thought was to excuse himself and calmly walk home. There were so many ways this could go wrong, but he realized that he was already in too deep. His outfit was supposed to make him seem more important as to impress possible contacts, but now it made him very memorable. Bystanders wouldn't blink an eye at a halfling less elegant apparel, but his current ensemble would be difficult to forget. He'd misjudged the type and number of other guests so he'd specialized on the wrong thing. Now he'd have to rely on his other skill set, and that was more dangerous that he'd like; no one calls for the Hellknights over a missed line, but a missing wallet or bit of fast talk to get where you shouldn't was another matter entirely. Either way, it would almost certainly have been wiser to have stayed in his less than stellar role in the theater, his pride be damned. But he had to play with the hand he was dealt; sometimes the only way out is through, and the sooner the rest of this ensemble realize that, the safer they'd all be.

"What you propose is dangerous. If they decide that we're enough of an irritation, they can and will kill all of us. Heck, by even attending this meeting, we may have painted targets on our backs." Aldo paused, letting the gravity of the situation linger for a moment. "On the other hand, doing nothing is just as dangerous. You're right; the situation as it stands is untenable. The streets are unsafe and no one in power cares enough to do anything about it. It's worse than ever and somebody's gotta do something. I'll admit, I'm not exactly sold on your ultimate goal; while the House of Thrune obviously cares little about the city, I am certain that they'd be loathe to surrender it. Like a jealous ex, it doesn't matter that they don't want it, it's theirs and no one else can have it. But even if we never get to that end goal, we can help the people of Westcrown and ultimately ourselves. So I guess you've got me on this project. Here's hoping that unlike my last production it doesn't go down in flames."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2019-12-04 at 04:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

GABRIELLE smirks at Janiven “Good works are well and good but that alone will not end the rule of house Thrune here in West Crown. They will not cede power without a fight. What is your end goal, revolution? Even if we take the city, how can we stand against the rest of Cheliax? Don’t get me wrong, helping people and messing with House Thrune sounds like fun but I am not sure of your end goal.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I suppose I don't see anything particularly disagreeable here. Embarrassing the people in charge and cleaning up the streets should be a good test of my skills." Folco finishes his beer, and leans back lazilly. "So, what about funding? Surely we wont be surviving on whatever we can scrounge from dead monsters. Supplies, potions, bribes, safe-houses..."

It's clear from the excitement in his voice that the answer to this question might be ultimately irrelevant. He's been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tia smiles a little. "I don't see anything wrong with that. You've got a good point, and as long as we aren't painting targets on our back." She lets down her guard a little, and leans back. "Plus I certainly have enough reasons to stay here as it is. I don't mind having a more noble purpose too."

26. - Top - End - #26

As Janiven is bombarded by comments of various stripes, a sudden, excited pounding at the front door disrupts the meeting. Immediately adopting a defensive posture, Janiven peers through a window at whoever’s knocking, then swiftly moves to the door, unlocks it, and opens it. In stumbles an out-of-breath and frightened-looking teenager named Morosino (male human child). “They’ve got Arael!” he calls out, then immediately doubles over in a fit of coughing brought on by his long run. Janiven’s face grows grim as she comforts Morosino and asks him to explain himself; in a moment the lad recovers enough to spurt out, “The dottari nabbed Arael, and the Hellknights of the Rack are trying to get custody of him! There’s a bunch of Hellknights on their way here now! I only just made it in here; they’ve already surrounded us!”

At that point, the sound of clanking armor advancing on the tavern becomes apparent. Anyone who glances out the window sees a large group of heavily armed and armored Hellknights advancing down the street, yet Janiven remains calm. She apologizes for involving the PCs in this matter, and as the Hellknights start hammering on the locked doors of the place and demanding in booming voices for those within to come out and give themselves up, she tells the PCs to follow her. She and Morosino swiftly move behind the tavern’s decrepit bar, where they lift up a heavy trap door in the floor. As the pounding on the door increases, she breathlessly says that this shaft drops down into the Westcrown sewers. By fleeing along this route, they should be able to lose the Hellknights quickly.

The Hellknights are numerous and heavily armed, and further bolstered by a reputation for ruthlessness and strict adherence to their own charter to strike down all suspected rebels.

Now is not a time for soliloquies, but decision.

Who follows Janiven down the trap into the sewer? And who is foolish enough to take their chances fighting or talking with the Hellknights?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-04 at 06:28 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo calmly started walking towards the door. His little speech had been based on the assumption that the Hellguards didn't yet know about this little endeavor. A group of concerned citizens that are doing their part to keep the streets safe would be relatively easy to explain; it's simply a neighborhood watch who wanted to help the poor, overworked Hellknights who are no doubt already spread thin enough not to handle it themselves. But a group they already thought to be seditionist rebels? That was a one way trip to the rack and he wanted no part in it. He'd do his best not to shield the identities of the other guests, but otherwise her was going to talk his way out of this. With luck, they wouldn't confiscate his stuff, but things could be replaced; his limbs and spine couldn't.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2019-12-04 at 07:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tia will dash for the trapdoor. She's spoken with a Hellknight before, and as it stands, knows nothing but fear about their abilities. She watches Aldo head toward the door, and shakes her head, wishing she hadn't given her full name to him. Hopefully it wouldn't come up. Maybe he'd die before he has a chance to tell them anything. Or maybe he'll be lucky and be treated as a crazy man. He certainly didn't seem like a normal person anyways. But then, what Halfling ever was?

29. - Top - End - #29

As Janiven sees Aldo making a motion to explain things to the Hellknights (or worse, stay and fight), Janiven's eyes widen and she practically begs, "No, Aldo! Please! Accompany me into the sewers. The Hellknights are stubborn and single-minded, and have obviously already formed their opinion about the guilt of everyone in here to put forth a squad like that."

As if to underscore her pleadings, the Hellknights begin bashing the doors and shutters.

There is movement in the far corner, well within the tavern as a man fights to stand. Falls, then clumsily stands again, his tankard. "Hellknightsssh! I'll take 'em all on!" he slurs loud enough to be heard on the other side of the doors, because the banging briefly stops. "Death to the Hellknights! I'll make my last stand here! Veldira, Baylock, Vinn! I will join you soon enough!" he shouts mightily, unsteadily, and while fumbling to take out a starknife.

Shouting is heard outside. "They're preparing to make a last stand. Get the alchemists and burn the place down if you have to!"

The man, a foreigner, possibly an impoverished noble, loses all of his bravery when he sees the trapdoor and Janiven's pleading eyes. "Ohhh, a maiden! No, I must shtay my death a little longer to protect the damsel." He lurches forth unsteadily, and Janiven's eyes grow wild as she thinks he is going to bowl her over. But instead, he practically dives into the hole. Headirst. With a loud clattering below.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-12-04 at 07:27 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

After the commotion, and the man diving down the door, Tia heads down in a much more normal manner, studying everything that she sees when she gets to the bottom, including the drunk, assuming he is still alive.