New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Council of Thieves [Bastards of Erebus] (IC)

Aldo nodded. "I can go in like that no problem. I'm quick enough to go without armor if I have to and they'll never find my weapon." He ignited his mind blade in two handed mode for effect. Leaning against it, he continued "But, again, that's not an option for most of you."
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Meigin steps up, "Cover of night would be best for most of us, but perhaps sending Aldo," He looks to Aldo, "as a porter to scout the area ahead of time would be feasible. I'm sure it would be cheaper to bribe a cart owner than a guard. plus we could go in and efficiently take down targets rather than having to search for them. Or at least some of them."
    Last edited by Meengs1024; 2020-04-23 at 04:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

"Here's my worry," says Janiven. "Now, a large group of us managed to take down a shadow beast ... and it was likely a runt, deformed, or young at that. The shadow beasts do seem to not attack the rich when they have a large mass of people, so that's something, but we can't strand Aldo in the Cader by himself - regardless of his personal skills - because he is almost too tempting a target all alone like that."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

"Curses can be blessings too, I'd know. For the devil-born, sometimes their curse comes alongside the blessing of seeing in the dark, yes? So, if it matters not whether we go in night or day, may as well be able to see beyond our own two feet. Speed, I think will be more helpful than scurrying." Dusha opined.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2020-04-23 at 11:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"You have a point. I'm sure their ability to see in the dark is at least as good as mine, so even though I'd feel safer and more capable at night, I do believe that it is only a worthwhile option if everyone can see well enough in it, and I don't believe that is true."
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Would a single actor playing a porter with a cart be inconspicuous enough during the day to get a two person strike team of Tia and I to an area were we could scale the bell tower covered by Janiven’s bow? The porter doesn’t stop, we hide in the back of the cart and roll out at the appropriate time.
    Once the guards are dispatched, we could signal the main assault. I am fairly confident on us being able to take out the guard but it could get messy with so many potential unforeseen complications...I am not sure.”

7. - Top - End - #277

Erasmus, who has been quiet until now, finally adds something. "You will want 2-3 porters. No porter would ever go in alone, and whatever a porter is needed for would require more setup than a single porter would be carring in supplies."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Kavina nods to Erasmus in agreement and then quickly looses interest unless the planning gets back to her role.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo put his hand to his chin in thought. "The 'porters' are going to just drive past, right? We could use Ermolos here and Rizzardo. They're big enough to be the muscle a job could use, especially if I'm there as one of their master's house slaves to 'co-ordinate' them"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-04-26 at 05:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

"No self respecting and sensical Porter would go around without protection, especially with these beasts. We could easily get three people and a couple hidden.

11. - Top - End - #281

Erasmus looks at the unique, gray-skinned elf. "Ummm, you definitely won't work as a porter, Meijen. Unless you have someway to disguise .... everything about you ... you are night insertion only. Nobody would confuse you for being an 'exotic' porter, because if on the wild chance you were a slave or a servant, you would likely have, um, a different role in the house you work in."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Meijin gives Erasmus a smirk saying "Oh of course not but our kitsune friend can hide her form without neutering her abilities. As well as some of our less conspicuous friends. Clearly this doesn't get everyone bin so we'll have a secondary assault team in the night."

13. - Top - End - #283

"Or," counters Erasmus, "we admit that daytime doesn't work. Splitting up our group doesn't seem to make sense, so let's go when we don't have to worry about 'perception' from guards which, from my understanding, aren't really posted ... to protect them from shadow beasts. Meanwhile, if I understand correctly, large gatherings aren't picked off by the shadow beasts, so we shouldn't fear a large force of us being attacked. And if we are? Then Pharasma be with us, and maybe we'll take one of the dark-spawn down with us. Just my recommendation."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Rufus nods along as Erasmus speaks. "Since it doesn't look like climbing to take out the lookout is in the cards, we could all grab a ranged weapon and let loose a volley from the shadows. With enough of us firing at once the guard should fall, even if not all of us are great marksmen."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo shook his head. "Maybe. But a) There's no guarantee that any of us can even remotely hit anything at that distance, b) if we don't get him, it's a dead giveaway where we are, and c) even if we do kill him, there's a better than decent chance that the people inside are gonna hear the tons of arrows that missed hit the building and get warning that we're coming anyway."

16. - Top - End - #286

Janiven looks at Rufus, but points up, then to Aldo as he finishes his point.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

"Maybe there's a magical solution to the sound issue?" Rufus asks while soliciting the group.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"It just occurred to me. My ability to see in the dark seems to outstrip those of the people I've been in contact with. We could take advantage of that to safely proceed in the dark. If I'm not wrong, I don't believe the shadow beast I saw in the sewers saw us before I could see it. I could lead the way pretty easily. And if we're able to move slower, I can even use Via's vision to watch from multiple angles. Any thoughts on that?" Tia speaks up, hiding her disappointment at not being able to go on the stealth mission with Kavina.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    "Maybe there's a magical solution to the sound issue?" Rufus asks while soliciting the group.
    Dusha shakes her head. "Spells for learning, spells for scaring, spells for loud and glorious distractions, yes... but no spells for quieting. But there are many kinds of quiet, hm? Can't hear, yes, but also won't hear - maybe because they're listening to something else?"

In response to Tia, Dusha makes a cooing noise and clucks her tongue. "That's nice dear. But are the rest of us to follow you merrily in a chain, like children at the fair? Radigan is not a bat, dear - I do not work well blind."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

"If no one has a spell to help us keep quiet, then a scroll is an option right? Would someone be able to make that work?"

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Dusha let out a loud cackle. "Trying to shut me up, are you darling? Sorry, no dice here!"
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2020-04-30 at 06:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo shook his head. "Yeah, unless we tied ourselves in a chain and have Tia guide us, I don't think we're gonna find a way to get a big enough strike force in stealthfully. If we knew the sewers well enough to get close to the building and past the Watchtower's gaze, we might have a chance, but otherwise we might have to just storm the place and let them know we're coming."

23. - Top - End - #293

Arael speaks up in what has become a verbal melee, trying to slow things down.

"You can't bring all forces to bear at all points at all times. In the case of the Children who have not been invited to this meeting - the majority, by the way - making them part of a strike force really just sets them up for an early grave. That 'numbers game,' is a ruthless hobgolin military commander's approach to wars, but not ours. So, here is what I suggest ....

"We will enter the Rego Crua and the Rego Cader in full force at nightime. Plenty of torches amongst all the Children, minus a few we leave behind to watch the cathedral.

"I will you take all the other Children to carefully make a 5-block perimeter as best as possible, with groups of two, and Janiven, you will move forward with the rest."

Janiven nods.

"Great, that will be a larger net for anyone trying to escape. They would do so in the open, where more of the crossbows we have can be brought to bear. I really doubt the Bastards have an organized mass exit strategy if things go sour.

"The rest of you - the strike team - will approach the tower from the south along the main road. Once within 200' - and that's around a corner - you douse the torches and make your way the best you can, with Tia as your eyes for those that can't see in the dark.

"Begin your approach At 75' from the tower, everyone except Tia and Kavina stop. Kavina, cast light on a coin at that time. Make sure you cast that out of the way, in a huddle of bodies and under a cloak. Tia, pocket that coin deeply enough that no shine escapes. Don't be foolish enough to cast that spell in the open.

"Then, Tia and Kavina approach as quietly as possible, using as many sides of building as possible. Speed is not our friend here. At the base of the tower, Kavina will just be a quick lookout to yip for trouble or if things become a an obvious problem. Also, at the side of the tower itself, it is not likely the guard will see Kavina, and if she is spotted, well ..... she is just a nocturnal animal searching the ruins for food.

"Tia, now it is on you to ascend and to take out the guard as quickly as possible. Bringing your friend Via to play is not recommended, as no matter how stealthy you are, the more that try to be stealthy, the greater the chance of detection. Only after you start your initial strike on the tower guard should you bring Via out, but really every ounce of your energy should be focused on stealth and taking out the enemy as quickly as possible.

"Assuming Tia is successful, she will wave that coin with the light on it is waved at the tower as a signal to the rest of us to approach. Rendezvous stealthily at the base of the tower. Tia, if there is a secret entrance that will allow you further stealth - no doubt a trap door or the like, I don't recommend you take it, but rather climb back down the tower again. No need to find yourself cut off and surrounded.

"Once every one of the strike team is together back on the ground, Kavina ... change back into something appropriate for you to fight and cast spells. Enter via best discretion. Meanwhile, Janiven will then climb the tower herself while the rest of you infil the building through finesse or force, as the situation warrants. Janiven will be in the bell tower to pick off anyone trying to escape."

Arael looks around the table, "All in favor?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-05-01 at 03:11 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sounds like a plan to me." Rufus says as he nods.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Sounds good except using me as a lookout for Tia seems like a poor use of my Ninja talents. The others could perform that function just as well. Tia needs backup to take out the guard and could easily carry me in fox form in a backpack.
    What happens once Tia gives the signal in your plan? Move in and Kill them all?”

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Aldo nodded towards Kavina. "I could take that function, I feel. I have a good eye and can avoid detection if I need to."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I like this plan. I believe as long as it was a one on one fight, I could handle the guard without an issue, but I would feel safer with Kavina along. Especially since it would be safest for me to remove my armor to avoid any chance of it alerting anyone."
    Last edited by meemaas; 2020-05-01 at 07:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

Arael looks to Dusha, Match, Meijen, and Erasmus.

"The plan sounds solid," says Match. "But I want to be on the perimeter watch. You need somebody else competent with our regulars. It's likely to be too crowded indoors, anyways."

Arael nods.

"Sounds good to me," says Erasmus.

Arael looks to Dusha and Meijen. "Is that a 'nay,' Dusha? Meijen?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then I can only hope nothing comes upon us when we're blind." Dusha murmurs, but acquiesces to the plan in general.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2020-05-02 at 01:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

"I assume I'd be at the vanguard of the strike team to ward off any interruptions to the plan. Meijin nods his head in agreement.