New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Ken says "Maysel, thanks for being concerned about us, but we are not going to give up on this. We can defend ourselves if the need arises. Why are people so afraid of this man? What has he done?"

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

"We are indeed, for better or worse, involved in the business of walking towards trouble, madam," Thaum adds.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maysel sighs heavily and then cracks a sad smile. "Now you have brought me to tell you a Story. Can't say that happened before." While she tells you she stops regularly to add more ingredients to her soup, adding potatoes, strange-twisted looking roots and some spices, you get a small portion after the thing she added has simmered a bit, making the kinda bland soup more and more flavourful.

"I think it began a bit before we closed off our borders. You know the beastking get's in his years. Did you know that one of the three heroes from olden times was a beastmen? And that the one currently in charge is a descendant of this hero? Well, normally when this happens another jumps up, gets him a beatdown and becomes the new king. But no one could defeat him. I heard from some that this happened before and the title was distributed to several who were able to defeat him, but that hasn't happened too. Some of the monsters really give him a nasty cut or two, of course he can still defeat them, yes but if more and more gets to him he gets weaker and weaker."

She stops for a moment lost in thought, but then continues. "The Archon had an idea… He recruited some people, I've heard. Perhaps a year ago he got through here, recruited some people, we have never saw them again. When we last saw him he got through here and he had a small elven girl on his back. We asked him what was up. And where our friends where. We wanted answers but he had none to give. The only thing we got was violence."

She gulps, blinking rapidly several times. "We try'd to get to the capital, ask what is up with him. Perhaps even get to the king. Ask him if that is what he wanted. But we couldn't get deeper into the forest. The few who came from deeper settled here, some told us that they're village was overrun or nearly empty. We haven't heard from the capital ever since or from the king. We don't know what we should do. You have been the first outsiders we have seen here for months."

Maysel wishes over her eyes and try's to collect herself. "If I was younger, I would have gone. But there must be someone here when the hunters go out. Some don't have parents anymore. I would love to get them back to them, but I can only offer some soup."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

(I'll continue without the Sense Motive result for now)

The darkness creeping through this world truly is spreading everywhere. "I did hear stories of mighty beastking Kevin, possessing titanic power tempered by his kindness, as accounts of historians and the bardic community go," Thaum mentions as the topic is brought up, perhaps to conjure memories of a fonder subject to take the edge off of current events a little bit. He also remembers ferociously heated arguments between Altenan historians in regards to whether Beastking Kevin truly swam across one ocean or the other, and how quickly. Eclipsed only by the screaming about the mythical powers of the "Class Change" and in what variety Kevin embraced it, getting especially loud when the fringe theory of Kevin having ascended a third time through this power was brought up. More than one poor soul was screeched into submission and pummeled with thrown ink bottles and arcane implements. But this is neither the time nor the place to bring trivia such as this up.

"My condolensces, madam Maysel," Thaum says as the story concludes. "I can see why such darkness hangs over every mention of the Archon's name."

Still, it is a lead, if a somewhat tenuous one. "Do you believe the current king may know more about the Archon, should we be able to reach the capital?"

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar grits his teeth as Coney just.. immediatly blurts out the sensitive information that he thought they had come to an understanding about. Added to his chagrin was the weight of the box he had offered to help Coney with, only to be given its full weight. But, after tensing up and turning his head slightly, he finds that this Maysel person, while their reaction was certainly surprised, at least was not becoming hostile or shutting them out. Still a bit miffed, though, Larimar uses his frustration to help him carry the crate over to the cellar quickly before returning with the others.

After listening to the story, Larimar blinks a bit confused. "I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Is the Archon one of those people, who decided to gather up a group to defeat the old Beastking and become the new one?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-05-01 at 10:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maysel smiles at the mention of beastking Kevin's name. "Aye, your pretty informed, yes? He could punch someone so hard that they exploded, they say."

She ponders a bit about both Thaum's and Larimar's question.

Towards Larimar: "I don't know if he was with the group that try'd to overthrow him, the battle was held in the capital and I wasn't there, with what I heard he wasn't with the group that try'd to defeat him, but he definitely was watching the battle."

Towards Thaum: "I don't know if the current Beastking Maharen would be in the capital, he roams around a lot. Perhaps you'll even encounter him when you go through the forest, but if you be able to reach the capital I'm sure that you find someone who could tell you something about Megralras or where he lives. But if you try to go deeper it will only get more dangerous."

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground

"The matters of the means and size of the explosion are subject to much scholarly debate in Altena when the subject is brought up," Thaum mentions to perhaps lighten the mood a little.

"I see. Perhaps we should look for the king, in that case. I doubt any approach will be an easy one, given the forest's current circumstances."

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken enjoys the soup despite its somewhat odd mineral taste.

He says "Thank you, Maysel. It sounds like our best bet is to head for the capital. Which way is it?"

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"It seems I can't stop you, yes?" Maysel grins, but then stops suddenly. "You shouldn't tell any of the others… I don't know what they think… Even I'm not sure if what the Archon does, will help us in the end I'm just... Not sure what to believe." She sighs again and try's to answer Ken's question. "I wasn't there myself, I only know that it's in the middle of the forest. But you should find markers if you get nearer. Perhaps you can even ask some of the more peaceful inhabitants."

Maysel seems to think heavily and then nods to herself. She rummages around in her kitchen a bit and comes back to the table with a sheathed knife, that has an irriscedent jewel set in the pommel. "I want you to have this. Perhaps you can use it, or the stone attached to it. I'm certainly don't get any use of it in my days."

"I can't offer you any beds, but I can bring you some blankets and pillows if you want? If you really want to try to get towards the capital you should try to get as much rest as possible."

Spoiler: If detect magic is used on the knife
    Show
    Both knife and jewel are magical and can be separated by one another.

Spoiler: If identified
    Show
    The knife can be used as a Dagger +3 and gives a +2 item Bonus to Craft (cooking). The Crystal is a Crystal of Greater Demolition. Should it be set in a +1 Weapon it still works as Crystal of Demolition and if set in a Masterwork Weapon it works as a Crystal of Least Demolition

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

Should none of his more melee combat ready allies do so, Thaum accepts the dagger. "You are too kind, Madam. A free spot of ground would be more than enough for me, thank you. Could you use the services of a healer in return? In addition to wounds and illness, I should be able to remedy the likes of soreness, tense muscles, and troublesome joints."

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The rabite listens to Maysel's story with interest, She bows, acknowledging that a spot on Maysel's floor is preferable to a fine bed elsewhere.

"Indeed, you are kind beyond all of our deserving, Maysel. I don't suppose you'd be able to give us some sense of how far away the capital is? And...well, if we get there, perhaps we can carry word of your town's plight. If you'd like to send a letter to Beastking Maharan, we can do our best to see it delivered. Or deliver a simple message verbally, I suppose."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maysel seems to be a bit shy about needing a healer but... "Well.. Can you do something against molt? For people with fur? That could help."

She gives Coney a respectful nod and a smile. "I really can't say. But I think you could have a fast hike around a week, perhaps a bit longer with all that I have heard. Could you tell of our plight I'm sure the beastking would stride towards us as fast as he could. And if not him I'm sure there would be others who could help us. Thank you. I get towards writing something as soon as I have given you something to make the dirt a bit more hospitable."

Maysel takes the soup away from the stove and brings you some simply woven blankets, to soften the hard ground below yourself. Her letter is scratched on a thick leaf, folded and then given to you. "When you get deeper into the forest you may encounter some moving people made out of metal or clay. In my younger days I have hunted them down with some friends, but we are all either old or not here anymore. They core's give a good basis for stone soup however."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thaum can make a Knowledge:History check against 10.

Jahn and

Ken

can make a Knowledge:History check against 15.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

"Moving People?" Larimar asks. "They're not, um.. sentient, are they? Like actual people? Perhaps mere golems of some sort?"

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Golems? Oh yes that's what they were called. I don't think that they are sentient?" Maysel seems a bit unsure about that. "They do defend themselves when they are attacked and they do attack us when they become aware of us, but I have never seen them doing normal things like cooking or just doing something because you have fun doing it."

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The rabite smiles. The world truly offered up an unceasing variety of wonders.

"Thank you so much for the warning, Maysel. If you have any memories of especially useful tactics from your hunting days - oh, say, that the metal creatures melt in fire, or that spears don't hurt the clay folk - that would be invaluable. We do usually try to avoid trouble altogether, but sometimes it finds us."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-05-10 at 09:16 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

"Depending on what exactly you need help with," Thaum answers to the molt issue.

"Golems, hm. Let us hope they are not prone to violence nowadays."

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you for your hospitality Maysel," Larimar says. "We heard you like stories. Would you still like to hear a few?"

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Golems? Could be worse ... I think ...

Ken says "Thank you for everything, Maysel. Larimar may be about to tell you stories, but you have certainly made our own better."
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-05-11 at 09:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Hmm… Let me think a bit. It has been some days till I have done this and I haven't had any problems myself because my knife always sliced right through them. But when I remember correctly the others had some problems getting through they're material to really damage them, they have also been somewhat resistant to magic, but magic got to them at least."

Spoiler: Golem information
    Show
    Secret of mana golems are not immune against magic, but magic has a reduced effect on them. (Half damage from most spells.) They do have DR however that varies on the golem type if it's not circumvented. They also look incredible goofy but are nonetheless pretty dangerous.

"You're not safe from them if you're far away from them, they shoot they're limbs right at ye. Best to surround them, that seems to confuse the hell out of em."

"Nothing else come to mind to be honest. Best to slice them up as fast as possible. They can get pretty big, but they fall down all the same."

Maysel hastily answers Thaum. "Justsomethingtoletfurgrowbackwouldbegreat"

"if you still have stories to tell I gladly hear them."

Shee gives Ken a somewhat shy nod. "Thanks. That's not something I usually hear."

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah. That should be a simple matter to improve," Thaum answers, conjuring an ephemeral sphere of water floating over and into Maysel, then expand outwards, phasing through body and clothes, but wiping any disorders and ailings away, including the loss of hair. What follows is a droplet forming above Maysel, falling on her head and suffusing her with a brief glow, causing the spots where hair was lost to grow again, and giving her fur a new luster. And perhaps helping any muscles, bones, or joints that were acting up to settle down and work more smoothly.

"Now, I do not know your species' physiology, so it would be irresponsible of me to make any claims in regards to whether the condition is gone for good. However, it should still last you a fair while, at least." Thaum adds a reassuring smile (that can also be read as "there is no shame in getting older and what comes with it"). Feeling hardly qualified in regards to storytelling, he gives the spotlight over to his companions, so to speak.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum casts panacea followed by lesser restoration on Maysel.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maysel gasps and seems shocked when her hair grows back but when the process is over, she nods towards Thaum.

"Thanks… Feels really good." She seems a bit stunned by your generosity. After some stories have been shared Maysel goes to sleep, but night doesn't fall, because… Well it's already night. When you wake up Maysel has packed some bread, edible flowers and honey for you and insists that you take it with you. "It's the least I could have done. Good luck. I'm sure you'll need it."

With a general direction you can head to, you make your way. There is a heavy downfall of warm rain for a moment, but other than that the weather is fine, despite the never-changing night sky. You come across a small clearing with several flower beds, with huge bees tending them. There is also a giant praying mantis, that focuses his eyes at you, but doesn't attack you outright.

Spoiler: Flower bed
    Show

You can cross the clearing without any attack from the massive insects. After the clearing you have to get through a thick part of the forest, the underbrush is dense and the trees are very close together, but it becomes a bit more open after a half hour of getting through but you come upon something unusual (even for this forest). it seems that one weird and red colored plant, has wrapped his vines around two other weird plants, that are shriveling up. It seems the weird red colored plant has noticed you and produces a strange unplant-like hiss.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    TT
    It's your turn.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum thanks Maysel for her hospitality and gifts, bidding her farewell for now.

The path is... surprisingly peaceful, all things considered. A stroke of luck, perhaps, such as being able to cross the flower field unassailed, the mantis content with a menacing presence. However, their luck can only last so long, as they come face to face with not simply a Tropicallo, but one of its rarer, stronger variants. A dire Tropicallo, if you will.

In the face of a situation that may well go sideways in but a few heartbeats, Thaum creates a brief shower of droplets, guided by a tiny Undine outstretching her trident. Experience has shown such precautions are rarely in vain.

Show
    Surely to everyone's surprise, Thaum casts recitation on the party. +3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, and saves for 9 rounds.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney stares uncomprehendingly at the weirdly active and multi-coloured tree.

"Well, that's weird. I mean, not 'chicken the size of a house that slowly turns you to stone' weird. But weird.

"Maybe if it can't see us, we can back off and just find another way around. Don't go in, or you'll get stuck."

Stepping away from the strange tree, Coney waves her ears expressively. A grey mist rises up from the ground all around the tree.

Show
    Coney moves to N18 and casts solid fog, centred on the tree.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

For the journey through the forest, Ken had cast greater magic weapon as a precaution.

"Good thinking, Coney" Ken says now.

Though he hopes to avoid a fight, he readies himself to cast steelsting if the plant acts with aggression.
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-05-22 at 08:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar says with a shrug, "Yeah, uh... not sure exactly what that thing is, but no sense going through the trouble of knocking it senseless if we can just go around it..."

Larimar takes a scroll out of his bag, but takes no other hostile actions for now... preferably, they'd just walk around this hissing plant and continue on their merry way.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    It's just a scroll of web. Since it seems we are standing around in the same spot, Larimar will ready an action to cast web on the creatures if they appear to come through the fog and at the party.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The dire Tropicallo, after hissing, try's to spit in the air and it seems, it produces some kind of massive green pumpkin with a scary face etched into it and... Glowing? It would fly towards the party, but it got slowed down by the Solid Fog, so massively that it just... Kinda tumbles out of the fog, without actually doing that much. The red colored plant seems to try to burrow into the ground, while the others rustle and shuffle towards you, but they are too slowed down by the heavy fog to reach you.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Show
    I had to read up on Solid Fog again, especially the height, which seems high enough to stop a volatile pumpkin. If you want to get away from the battle please make a short post announcing the fact.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney glances at her companions and the strange pumpkin-seedpod-bomb thingy.

"Right, gentlemen. Is there any reason to fight a killer tree? We have a plague-spreader to find."

Unless any of the four seem apt to wish to fight this thing, these things, whatever, Coney runs off to the right for a minute, and then continues along on their original course.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar casts Expeditious Retreat and agrees.

"We've a long way to travel, so lets save our resources for the dead of night when we inevitably get ambushed during camp, yeah?"

(still have a move action!)

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jahn also casts a quick Version of Expeditious retreat, runs over towards the pumpkin, picks it up and also runs away with the rest of the party. Thanks to the dense fog the plants are not able to get towards you and you leave them behind.

After another hour of travel, you reach a good resting place.

Surprisingly enough you don't get attacked while you rest! And the mysterious pumpkin doesn't even explode in the middle of the night! It seems it's explosive nature may be contained for awhile.

Spoiler: Pumpkin
    Show
    This one can be thrown, and it has a range increment of 50 feet. If it hits a square (AC: 5, for targetting a specific square, a 1 is not considered a failure.) It explodes in a 7d6 FIREBALL.

There are several insects that try to plague you and you also get surprised by a sudden downfall of rain, sometime and again you hear a great roar or a thunderous thump, but it's always far away and you follow your path undeterred.

after, like half a day of travelling (you think you kinda get the hang of measuring time, even with the eternal moonlight.) The forest opens up and you came towards a little valley that is filled with wondrous flowers. More insects are here and after a short hike you see several stout metal people that are surrounded by flowers.

They face you, they're eyes begin to glow in a yellow light and they raise they're fists, that seem to be in some kind of thick gloves.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Spoiler: Thaum, Ken, Jahn
    Show
    They seem kinda like standard Valsenan golems. Probably pretty sturdy (some kind of DR in the low-digits). Pretty strong but not massively so.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    They do have a strange hue to they're "skin" and move pretty janky, not smooth, like you used too.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

"It appears we have indeed found the golems. Valsenan make... if unusually rough in their motorics. Hm." Analysis will need to wait. As per usual, Thaum bolsters his allies against what may or may not come soon, sending out Undine's energy from his internal reserves.

Show
    To the surprise of absolutely no one, here is your all-purpose recitation with the usual +3 luck bonus to AC, attacks rolls, and saves for 9 rounds.