New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

The dwarfs nearly jump out of their chainmail, when Zanthia screams at them. The one who talked the most right now try's to calm her down.

"Well I can assure you it may seem dangerous but we did a lot of tests and it's certainly safe. Definitely safer than riding a damn horse." The other dwarfs mumble approvingly. "You know what should you even broke a single bone the High Priest will get his money back, ok?" He adds helpfully. "Oh and lady, please look at your language. It should be bronze-obsessed mind or dull-striking mind or something."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Back at the cannon:

"It's a little unusual compared to most modes of travel, but, well, it works and it's fast," Thaum says to Zanthia and simply shrugs while raising his hands. He is not sure what else to add, because, well, one has to buy into being shot out of a cannon.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-04-07 at 03:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Im SO happy the high priest will get his money back...maybe he'll consider paying for all the heals I would need in that circumstance.
    After Thaum talks to her
    Next time...if I survive this time...and you plan to do something crazy like this, a little advance warning would be nice.

Without further comment, she rolls herself into a ball, and squeezes her eyes, very tightly shut
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You could salvage (1d6)[1] needlion needles that can either be used as high-quality needles or be used/sold in Alchemy. Sadly you can't really tell where the Needlions went, probably because of the constantly falling snow that covers everything.

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    When you bring yourself in a better position you can not only see some houses and one larger building northwest from your position but you also can see different trees. You are surrounded by some probably dead trees with snow on them. In the far west of you there are some trees that seem to bear fruit. On the far north you can see some trees that seem to be in full bloom and to the northwest the trees seem to be full of green leaves.

Spoiler: Location of Rabiton
    Show
    The only thing that was told (what I didn't wrote in the IC section sorry) was that Rabiton should be in the summer part of the forest.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina now has another sword over the same shoulder as her giant blade; it's at least proportionately something she can swing, and has two black prongs for the hilt, one curving down over the grip, the other curving up parallel to the back of the blade, the scabbard wrapped in wide leather washers with a X stitching pattern down its front.

This is important to describe, as her swords make it very hard for her to ball up inside the cannon. Instead, she has to slide in feet first, her brow sweating crazily as she's fully aware this makes her more of an actual projectile, but she tries to ball up once she's fired into the air.

She really hopes she doesn't have to transform in order to soak any falling damage, but whatever luck she still has holds...for now.. and she doesn't reveal her secret in a fit of nerves...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

Pulling a heavy cloak from her newly purchased haversack, Aned brushes herself off before the snow has a chance to melt and sicken her. The cold is unpleasant, but it's much less so than liquid water. Seeing Thaum's eyes on her, she gives a reassuring smile. "I will be fine. As fine as anyone else in this place, at least." she says, before donning the cloak.

Looking up at the tree, she floats upwards to Rina. "Are you alright? You seem to have landed in an awkward position."
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar mutters, "Hm. If Rabiton is in the summer area of this forest, I think we may be able to follow the tracks of these needlions back to get into the right area. Or... we would be able to if this dang snow didn't cover up the tracks already."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Those who stay reasonably close to Coney find the cold in this part of the forest less intense. She ponders their path forward. She rasps out in her unnaturally husky voice.

"If it helps, I seem to recall that the Four Season Forest is more or less divided into quadrants. So if we manage to head toward the centre of the forest, that should get us closer to summer."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum gives an acknowledging nod to Aned before checking on the others, eventually gathering with them at the tree Rina is on.

"I hear these woods are fairly dense, but there appear to be more well-trodden paths, one leading to the west. It may make for faster travels."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina finds herself hanging by the straps of her blades, eyes wide and wondering what just happened. She kicks her heavy boots and swings her arms, trying to find purchase but as the conversations begin she realizes she's not getting out that way.

"Um... ye-yeah. I need some help..." she says under the collar of her breast plate, having tucked her head down some in embarrassment.

"Ah-also? There's a settlement to the northwest. I saw it before the tree caught me..."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Looking up, the Chobin says, "Oh, really! Great! Maybe we can take that path west and it will head over there! … Er.. do you need help getting down?"

He approaches the tree and begins to climb it. He'll try to offer Rina a hand.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    should be a pretty trivial task to climb the tree for him, and then aid another
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-04-09 at 02:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: All
    Show
    You can make out the path Thaum pointed out that takes you westward.

Spoiler: Aned, Larimar
    Show
    Both of you can see the village that Rina pointed out from your higher position, also that westward seem to begin the autumn section, northwest is the summer section and north is the spring section.

The path that Thaum pointed out is clear for all of you to see now. Though if you want to get through the trees it certainly seems manageable in the less overgrown version of the forest.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-04-09 at 03:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

"So I see. Do not fear, we will have you down in a moment." replies Aned, floating closer to Rina and helping her untangle her various belts and straps from the branches before securing a rope to a stout branch and then around Rina's waist. With Larimar aiding her, it is probably unnecessary, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

"Our destination lies in the northwest. The westerly path will take us to the autumn forest. Perhaps from there we can head north."
    she says, floating downward alongside Rina and Larimar to ensure that the rope doesn't become entangled and check their progress.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll just take 10 on the Use Rope check for a 15. That will be plenty.
    With my dying breath

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum meanwhile begins to spread around the usual wave of prestidigiations to prevent people from getting soaked by melting snow and such, and with Coney's welcome aura, the cold also won't be an issue. Once everyone is down on the ground again, he asks "Shall we?" and gestures towards the west.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Lead the way
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You follow the path westward, sometimes you can see the trails of some small animals, but you don't see any life. The snow still falls down and it doesn't seem to get any warmer, but then a bit more forward you can see some leaves on the ground and it actually seems like the winter and autumn section are cut off and not a gradual progress. You can actually see a tree that is part full of autumn leaves and part in winter.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    That is totally normal for the Four-Season-Forest.

When you follow the trail a bit more there are more colorful leaves on the ground, different trees, some with fruits on them. Some hares are running before the trail and you can see some squirrles that are jumping from tree to tree.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Spoiler: Aned
    Show
    You are pretty sure that there is something big(at least human-sized but you can't exactly see what it is) inside the tree (protected on sight by the leaves on B15 to E19.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney is excited to see the transition to autumn ahead.

"I never really understood how the winter part of the forest could just continue living and flourishing, but the plants and animals here seem to take it all in stride. Still and all, you can understand why there weren't a lot of people in the winter section."

The little rabbit gave a verbal shivering sound, smiling at the memory of the last time she had passed through - without the benefit of protection.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

The transition from winter to autumn is viewed with great interest by Thaum as they pass the threshold, both sides equally picturesque. Thanks to Coney's aura, moving between areas is a rather pleasant experience as well.

"I wonder if anyone has done a bit of research on the local fauna as compared to that of forests with regular seasons. Perhaps something to look for the next time I am at a library." Though the circumstances of Thaum's travels were not the best in the beginning, he does nonetheless gain much from the big and little wonders he comes across.

Staying on the established paths may be for the best, for now, Thaum looking for one that leads north into the summer section. Perhaps they will have the time to visit the spring quadrant as well later on.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar shrugs. "Yeah, it's kind of weird. But it isn't hurting anybody..."

For the most part, he's more interested in keeping an eye out for danger. Bandits, wild animals, even lackeys of Jerry!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

"The blessings of the spirits, perhaps." remarks Aned idly. Metaphysics were not her strong suit, but she shared the others' curiosity about the place. It was certainly unique, perpetual seasons frozen in time. "The center must truly be special. Imagine being able to step between all four seasons."

Her musings did not prevent her from keeping her eye out for trouble. Spotting a hidden shape ahead, she raises her hand in warning, her voice hush. "There is something hidden behind the tree ahead of us. Man-sized." she whispers.
    With my dying breath

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh really..?" Larimar asks, quietly, as if in thought to himself.

Looking the other way at first, he casually unslings the bow from his shoulder, as if he was considering hunting for some game.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You walk a bit further when Aned stops you, the tree before your rustles violently when a big owl-like creature bursts out of it, screeching loudly something that may be words. It is adorned with amulets that clatter loudly together when it seems to fly directly towards Rina.

Show
    I don't know if it works that way, but it's actually your turn when the thing fly's towards you, because you have won Initiative and letting it just sit there and then attack you seemed not okay.
    Autumn attack!

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    If you think "Hmm, is this one?" I have to say. "YES, IT IS ONE!"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks to Aned's warning, Larimar wasn't all that surprised when the owl thing came flying at them from behind a tree. It was definitely hostile, and though it seemed to be saying something, he couldn't make heads or tails of it right now. Oh well, thankfully his bow afforded him the luxury of shooting first and asking questions later!

Spoiler: Point Blank Rapid Shot!
    Show
    attack 1: (1d20+14)[25]
    damage: (1d6+5)[8] + (1d6)[1]

attack 2: (1d20+14)[31]
    damage: (1d6+5)[7] + (1d6)[5]

attack 3: (1d20+9)[21]
    damage: (1d6+5)[8] + (1d6)[4]

All damage is nonlethal. Seeking weapon: ignores miss chances such as concealment.

After shooting 3 arrows at the beast, Larimar stays in place, confident in his position near Thaum.

Spoiler: other stats
    Show
    Larimar: 43/43 HP AC: 20
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-04-16 at 04:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

When faced with unruly beasts who are not likely to listen to reason (and probably not understand it either), Zanthia goes for Plan A...improved sleep

Show
    DC23 unless his HD/level are equal to or less than Zanthia, in which case, no save
    #GoreMutualarejerks

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

(1d100)[59]

The beast get's pincushioned by two arrows, one sailing besides it. When Zanthia does something the creature lands ungracefully on the ground and seems to lay still, but continues breathing.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

From one moment to the next, Aned stops them and an owl creature jumps from the trees.
    From one moment to the next, it falls flat on its face, snoring peacefully.

That went rather well, all in all. He spends a moment in thought as he looks at the scene.

"I am debating whether we were attacked because we happened to trespass in their territory, or if those bigots have put beings here on edge. One against six are rather poor odds for a day-to-day hunt."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-04-16 at 11:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

When the Rabite elder spies the owl sailing toward them, thousands of years of instinct squash her close to the ground, whimpering "Nemesis Owl!" Nemesis Owl!" Very scary big predators. Powerful magics."

She is only slightly mollified to see it drift down and fall asleep.

"Bind it or kill it, quickly!"

She quickly scuttles off to hide behind the trunk of the giant tree to their right.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    move action and hide attempt, mostly for cosmetic reasons.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-04-16 at 05:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

"Nemesis Owl..?" Larimar says.

knowledge (nature): (1d20+5)[23]

"Hm, well I have some rope here," he offers, pulling out his 50 feet of silk rope.

Let's see what all these other amulets are too, hmm? He then casts detect magic.

"Wouldn't mind taking all these amulets off it, temporarily, till we know both they're safe, and the owl won't be trouble."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

You can tell that the rabite is nodding by the way its ears are bobbing.

"Yes. Ruthless predators. Smart, but unpredictable. Most are also powerful spellcasters."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing Zanthia deal with the creature, Aned sheathes the blade she has half-drawn. "If they are spellcasters, then they have some intelligence. It could be reasoned with, could it not?" she asks, looking at Coney, who seems to be the most informed on the matter.
    With my dying breath