New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

With Terryn:

"They're a hearty lot, this. Even if we don't all fit, I'm sure that they'd be delighted to meet you and Mary. Spirits! I can't wait to catch up. I've got stories that will take the puff out of your tail! So...you gather the ingredients I'll need - you remember, right? - and we'll come round as soon as we're done with the high folk."

--

With Andrew and Rem:

Coney nods emphatically in support of Thaum's words.

"We didn't come here to shake you down for money, boys! And yes, we don't know anything much for sure about what these humans might do. I suppose we could look into the silk tails in the meantime..."

She glanced over at her colleagues to gauge their interest.

"But it would also be good to know if there have been other humans or the like coming through town lately, without any clear business being here? They sent an advance fellow the last time...might have done it here too."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

"Woah, calm down there.." Larimar says. "I'm sure we've got this. And it'll be on the house, too. Er, um, the party? Nevermind."

"Erm, anyway, what's this about the wildlife problems? Is it the silktails? Or is there something else too?"

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Oh, you want to talk to him?" Andrew seems a bit relieved. "That would be nice. He can be a bit eccentric you know. He's a good guy after all but can be a bit difficult." He bows to Thaum. "That's very generous of you I hope we can at least provide you with some lodging."

He also gives a bow towards Coney.

"You're way too genereous miss Masing." He thinks a bit about the question. "Well we don't get many visitors around here. If someone wants our humble wares we come to them. The way is not without dangers after all. I can't think of anyone but will ask the villagers of course."

Rem adds: "I will ask the spirits for guidance. If there is danger, I'm sure we will either receive help or at least a warning."

He also gives Larimar a bow, his eyes are definitely wet.

"You're really good folk." He blinks some tears away. "Oh the wildlife is the usual around these parts, we have coped with it. A fox or a dire wolf who wants to snatch some of our young. Some feral rabites, some of them may even be intelligent but some of them can cause trouble. The Needlions are always a problem when they're in heat, with they currently are not, thank the Dryad. Sometimes a Nemesis owl fly's over here and it's always a coin flip. One time they crushed one side of our wall and then flew away. Another time one came into my store and wanted two apples and three mice because they taste so well together. I was lucky I didn't gave the ones in the traps towards my chickens this morning.

Sometimes a Thundercrab (Knowledge: Nature if you want to know more) comes over from the winter section for some indescernible reason and wreaks havoc. But we have adepted quite well, because we are a tight community and are ready to face whatever hardships the forest throws at us. Like the people who lived here before us." He seems quite proud about that statement.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-04-29 at 07:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

"I have not yet met a wizard who was not at least a little... difficult." replies Aned, with customary circumspect. Coney being a mother was rather a shock to her - thought it was good to see her son was doing well. Having children to worry herself over while adventuring was never something Aned had considered before.

"The one they sent last time was an unmistakable threat, though perhaps they will have learned from their mistake." she continues. "We had our own run-in with a Nemesis Owl earlier. Fortunately, we were able to resolve it without bloodshed, seeing as how they can apparently be civil if they put their minds to it."

The other reference, however, seems to go over her head. "Forgive my ignorance - a 'Thunderclap', you said?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge: Nature (1d20+1)[3]

I'm going to take that as a "no".
    Last edited by Gryps2; 2020-04-29 at 06:50 AM.
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Aned
    Show
    Sadly that is a no.

"Well I would not call them civil by any stretch. I think they are pretty insane, Rince seems to know more about them, but I can't understand his mage babble."

Regarding the thunderclap.

"Nono I said Thundercrab. These crabs from the winter part of the forest. They can be pretty aggressive but taste quite nice with some butter because of the tingling."
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-04-29 at 01:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

"It appears you have your work cut out for you. We will begin ours in the meantime," Thaum says after the good remarks and questions of his companions, as well as learning about the local wildlife/population, all of which is listened to with curiosity. It certainly is far livelier here than what is usually found near Altena.

"If you would excuse me, please, Burgomaster Andrew, Father Rem," he adds with a slight bow, quietly taking his leave towards the... interesting (and precarious) construct that is Rince's tower. Perhaps the mage simply likes the wind... and the motion it brings to his entire abode. Some people sleep better that way, one might suppose.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina seems as confused by the fact the tower is standing as anything else, though deep, deep inside of her, there's a predatory part of her that feels awkward with all these little dinners running around before it's shoved even deeper into the recesses of her mind. She is not a monster... And to prove it:

"Well, while we're here, maybe we should rotate into the guard duties? It might also help with housing if we're all on different watches."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Burgomaster Rem gives Thaum another slight bow when he leaves. "Just be a bit cautios. His assistant is currently out of order and that seems to make him a bit cranky."

The Tower seems to have been straight at one time but has several seemingly free-floating blocks of stone built into it. Probably to make more room for whatever is inside. The door is a massive oak door. But it does seem to not be closed. Should Thaum enter he sees a wide room with some chairs and cushions and some feet away at the right side there is a steel perch, where a grey-black raven seems to sleep. Deeper into the tower there are several branching paths.

The raven sleepily opens one eye and looks at Thaum. He yawns heartily and says. "Hi." After some stretching of both legs and both wings he puffs up and shakes himself. "You're wanna talk to the master I wager?"

Towards Rina.

"That would be an excellent idea I'm sure someone with yourÂ… Ah... Weapons." Andrew says while giving both massive weapons a glance. "Would be very welcome. You don't have to expect many trouble, but I'm sure you would be a great help anyways. Just talk toÂ… I think I saw Alden at the door with Alrik. Just ask them how you can help, I'm sure we find something if you wanna help us."

Should Rina go out she sees both talking.
    Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    You may want to make a Listen check if you want to hear what they are talking about.
    When you come nearer they great you. "Ya need anything?" Asks the rabite Alden, a bit curious.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

After they take their leave of Andrew and Rem, Coney is once again withdrawn and pensive.

"Ah. If time permits, I'm making dinner at Terryn's house tonight, and you're all invited to stay. If we keep a watch rotation outside the house, you might even all fit. Unless I'm missing my guess and his house is bigger than I think it'll be."

She squint's up at Rince's tower. Her nose wiggles, a clear sign that she's thinking hard.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does Coney remember Rince or his tower from her previous time here?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

At where the party is:

"That is a good idea while we do not know for certain when and how trouble will manifest," Thaum says to Rina with a nod, azure hair following the notion in its slightly delayed underwater ways.

"And I would be glad to accept that invitation," is added to Coney.

------------

At the tower:

Thaum peers through the open door and after a moment decides it may be best to knock on the door frame before entering, casting a few curious glances around. Inside, he looks to the raven. "I believe so. Sorry to have disturbed your nap, but it is about Rabiton's safety. Could you direct me to where Rince is, please?"

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Listen check: (1d20+4)[21]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney points with an ear to the laws-of-nature-are-just-suggestions tower and clears her throat. Her gravelly voice has dropped down into the 'concerned' octave.

"That tower looks old, right? At least fifty years old, maybe a hundred? But I was here nineteen years ago, and I'm pretty sure I'd remember something like that in the middle of Rabiton. So...this Rince is playing games with time as well as space."

She scratches her forehead with the tip of her other ear.

"It's a good thing we're good at playing games too."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thaum.

The raven half closes his eyes a moment and then says. "He's at the top of the tower right now. Probably planning his next expedition." It's pointing a wing at a path. "This brings you up. It's some steps, you want company and someone to say to you that you can make it or can I go back to that nap?"

Coney

Should you go to your sons house you see that he is in the midst of preparing everything and try's to get a small rabite-sized oven to the perfect temperature.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

"I think I will attempt to brave the stairs on my own, do not let me keep you from your sleep, thank you," Thaum responds with a smile and heads up the stairs, the universe having decided that Thaum's health is important to it and thus today is leg day.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia falls in step with Thaum
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After some steps (if one of you should be very accurate, it's 111.) you come to the top of the tower. A slight breeze is there and you see a man in his late 20s, early 30s staring towards the center of the forest, marking down something, when he turns towards you he stops a moment and then looks at Thaum's head.

"If you need help with your ridiculous hair color, that could be pretty hard."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

"No, thank you, it stings the eyes of foes in combat," Thaum answers as his hair is moving in lazy waves on the wind and he steps closer, getting a look out over the forest. "My party and I came to Rabiton because we have reason to believe a cult-like group is planning an attack on the town. Additionally, we were told silktails were becoming more and more a concern. Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary in the forest?"

18. - Top - End - #348
    Orc in the Playground

"Setting up a watch is a good notion, Rina," replies Aned, with some thought, "After we are finished speaking to the wizard, it would be good to explore the perimeter of the town, and see where best to patrol."

With that response, she follows Thaum and Zanthia to the tower, though the climb doesn't seem particularly arduous to her. After all, when her legs get tired she can merely float a few inches off the ground to rest them for a moment. Frowning at the man's rude manner, she speaks. "You are the wizard Rince, I presume?"
    With my dying breath

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar's going off on his own, scouting around the outskirts of the village for peculiar or dangerous animal tracks...

Spot: (1d20+9)[24]

Survival: (1d20+5)[25]

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

While Coney is very curious about the tower, she is also eager to catch up with Terryn and Mary. She leaves directions to their house with anyone who doesn't want to come now, and heads back for some serious ear-to-ear conversations, and the making of supper.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Updated village map
    Show
    Rabiton
    Try to find you there.

The wizards tower.

The mage puts the scroll he was studying away and looks a tad surprised at Thaum, but seems to seriously think about the inquiry. He nods towards Aned. "Yes, I'm Rince. A cult you say?" He looks down, towards the village this time, like he was expecting the attack to happen right at this moment. When he looks back towards you, you can all see a hint of panic in his eyes and his voice seems a bit strained.

"That's very unsettling news. I still have so much research to do here and I still haven't reached the center of the forest." He begins walking back and forth, furrowing his brow and apparently in deep thought. That the tower has no safety measures at all may make that look a bit unsettling. "If you knew more about their numbers and from where they attack you would have told me I guess. That means we should be prepared for anything. The villagers know how to handle the beasts of the forest but a battle against an unknown number of people will be taxing for them."

He looks at you again. "Good, you can use my tower for placing someone there. I think it may be best for me to be standing here as well and provide support. I'm not a battle mage but I can use one or the other wicked spell." He wiggles the fingers of his right hand for emphasis. "I guess you want magic items and stuff like that for your help? I fear most of my ressources are used up for research but I may scrunge something useful together if that attack happens." He taps at his chin, looking stern into nothing. "I would like to keep my apprentice out of that but I guess we need every hand and ear we could get together."

His demeanor becomes more relaxed when the talk goes towards the silk tails. "Oh yes, in fact they are one of my research subjects. The sightings are increased at the spring part of the forest, but they are hiding quite well it seems. I'm pretty sure they are really there and not some hogwash the folk is brewing up. But I haven't got any of them and the only thing I know about their abilites are from stories. Supposedly they are quite strong with Gnome, having a nearly impenetrable fur and able to channel the destructive aspect of Undine in a torrent of acid. A bite that can crush steel and something like that." He waves his hand dismissively.

"But that's only stories. I have gotten a bit of their fur, I'm sure of it and I can definitely say it does not have the same consistency than rabite wool. It's missing the legendary properties but that may have a number of reasons."

He looks at the three of you again. "I guess I can spare a spell a day to expand my view and take a look around the forest. Can I have your names please that I may contact you with a Sending should the need arise?"

Village outskirts

Larimar can find some good places to lay out a snare or a similiar trap towards possible prey, even if it has two legs. In the vicinity of the village they are some tracks of big wolves. Possibly of the dire variant and at the northeast part of the village Larimar finds one shimmering feather that glistens softly in shifting colors. It is possibly a feather detached by a Nemesis owl, not long ago.

Cozy rabite home

Terryn's and Mary's house, south of the rabite barn is quite spacious, just because they offered to house any rabites that may awaken and it potentially could even house everyone of the party when they don't have a problem with sleeping on the floor. Terryn, as usual, talks your ear off by telling you of the different small journeys he has made, it seems his earcuff fighting style has finally reached enough potential to be actually helpful when he offers himself as a guard for the goods that Rabiton can't produce themselves. Mary sets the table and sometimes squeezes a sentence in that she helps Father Rem when someone is wounded but the Dryad doesn't answer her pleas for help yet, as she supposedly does when he asks. But she is sure that is just a matter of time and dedication.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Rince is not dismissive about the threats, so that is good.

Thaum lets his companions introduce themselves, following with "Thaum" himself. "When in doubt, please err on the side of caution, especially in regards to your apprentice. Every helping hand is, of course, greatly appreciated, but the more we can minimize the danger to the people of this town, the better. As for material support, information would be more important right now. I believe the most pressing matter is figuring out where and how many those attackers are, so any divinations you can provide would be a great help, even if only a small glimpse can be found. The more we know, the better we can act," he says, having that calming tone to his voice. Panic will not serve anyone but the enemy.

"However, that is simply my limited perspective as a healer." With that said, Thaum looks to Aned and Zanthia, passing the word to them.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

My name is Zanthia, pleased to meet you.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar will pocket the feather and follow the wolf tracks a ways. Let's say I use my 2nd charge of mage armor now, and I follow the tracks for up to thirty minutes, moving at half speed, stealthily. No bow in hands. My first reaction if ambushed is likely to climb a tree!

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+16)[34]

Move Silently: (1d20+10)[25]

Spot: (1d20+9)[25]

Listen: (1d20+9)[14]

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    Feeling rather bold, Larimar angrily bursts through the bushes he was hiding behind in a huff.

"I know, right?! Why are we listening to this stupid, crazy owl anyway?!"

"We can just, uh.. do that thing, whatever we're planning to do, without him!"

(lol 10 bluff check.)

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

"Aned," replies the rogue, nodding, "Are there any ways we might aid your divinations? I can fly and attempt some reconnaissance, if that would be helpful."

The offer of magic items did not go unnoted, but it seems a poor time to press on such matters, even though she was rather curious about what the mage might possess, even if she wouldn't actually be allowed to use it. But something else did press on her mind. "You mentioned an apprentice. Who might they be?"
    With my dying breath

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Thaum, Zanthia, Aned." He nods towards you. "Quite lovely." Rince looks surprised towards Aned. "You can fly? Well that would of course be a great boon. The forest is vast as you can see. The problem is of course that we don't know their number, and you may not see them if they don't hack their way through the forest. But if you can get at different times of the day high enough you may even see them and then contact me." Rince get's a scroll case out and rummages through it "Snowballstorm, Voltaine's lazy fireball, Gentle repose… Ah yes." He pulls a scroll out, at first holding it towards you but then retrieving it towards himself again.

"You know these are quite valuable and as yourself said you don't know if the attack will even happen. I give you that scroll for a hundred gold, if you don't need it, you can give it back to me or keep it. That seems reasonable, yes?"

He hands it out and unfolds it. It's a scroll of whispering wind. "Just get it to the place you saw my familiar, he will hear it, the range should also be covered."

"My apprentice is one of the awakened rabites. Frostear, or frostbite, or coldhand, changes his name every week and is of course deeply hurt if you forget it." He rolls his eyes, but seem to have some compassion. "He's alright with cold spells though his obsession doesn't really mirror his skills."
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-05-06 at 06:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Something Secret...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+7)[8]

If there was ever a time I've never wanted to roll a 2 so badly, it's now!!

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum gives a short "Heh." when he hears Frostbite having been picked as a nickname stage name totally serious magician name by the rabite apprentice at some point, and a "Voltaine's Lazy Fireball?" when the spell of said name is mentioned.

"I see you have matters well in hand in regards to reconnaissance, I will not keep you from it much longer. Rabiton is evidently in a fine state, but perhaps there is still someone in need of curing. Please do not hesitate to send for me in case there comes a moment when your apprentice would be more aptly named 'Cold Shatterear'."

Should no one else take the scroll, Thaum does so with thanks, handing Rince the 100 Lucre, and assuring to return the scroll should they not need it until Rabiton is safe again (after all, scribing a scroll does take a fair bit of work and investment). It is not like he can actually use the scroll, but those talented in the more traditional arcane ways like Larimar most likely can.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-05-06 at 09:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Orc in the Playground

"The name makes the man, as they say." replies Aned, though her tone is rather dubious. The magical profession does seem to draw its share of eccentrics.

"I had planned to reconnoiter the surroundings. I hope our suspicion will prove to have been incorrect, but it is better to be safe than sorry." she says, before a thought strikes her. "Ah, if we could have a moment more of your time, perhaps you could tell us if you know anything about the Black Rabite?"
    With my dying breath