New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

"Please don't give him any ideas." Sighs Rince towards Thaum. "If you're able I could also help you scribe a spell. For a little fee of course." He smiles slightly but then looks in confusion towards Aned.

"A black rabite? That is news to me. I heard some tall tales about an elusive king rabite with royal blue fur but nothing about a black one."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

"A mythical rabite of alleged devastating power, and we have become aware of a few indications that there might be more to it than mere myth. Thus, we thought we should also look into that particular matter. As for scribing scrolls, that is sadly not one of my abilities, but I will forward your offer to those of us who can make use of wizard scrolls."

3. - Top - End - #363
    Orc in the Playground

Aned looks disappointed, but it was clear that the wizard's research lay elsewhere. "It is as Thaum says. Apparently this cult we are struggling against is convinced that the Black Rabite's coming in nigh, and so they wish to make war against its servants - that is, awakened Rabites." she says, "Perhaps some of other denizens in town will know more."
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"That doesn't sound too far-fetched to be honest. There were all kinds of mighty dangerous beasts out there some time ago and there are still some things we just don't know. Rem, the priest knows a lot about rabite-kind, so perhaps he knows a bit more. I appreciate your efforts to help and will help in other ways as soon as I'm done planning my next expedition."

With that he pulls out his map again and seems to note things down.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you," Thaum answers with a nod, then takes his leave to see if anyone in the village requires a healer.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Left to her own devices seems to be working for Rina, though she remains nervous as ever if approached by rabites or allies (or both in Coney's case) as she stalks through the village. She's a ranger (presumably) so she may be just simply scoping the place out, but little do any of them know she's also sniffing the place out.

The tunneling foes disturbed her; it was as bad as the monster she dealt with back in her homeland rising from the waters depths. Even flying creatures have to land and roost someplace, which narrows down a hunt if one is capable, but underground and underwater foes are completely masked. She's not sure if the others would understand and she still has her secrets to keep, so Rina comes and goes through the day...

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

(1d20)[20]
    (1d20+7)[8]

Got here a gather info and a survival check to try to figure out if any burrowers have intruded into the town, with scent and regular investigation, and hopefully as well as maybe troubleshooting. There could be holes in the fence or such...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar arrives back in town, panting slightly, and looking rather worse for wear with a piercing wound on his torso and some other nasty wound on his head. He looks behind himself, to the northeast nervously.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

As he starts his "tour" of the town, Thaum spots Rina. Some people are naturally shy, but it is... rather obvious that there is a lot more to her than that, instead having something constantly weighing her down. He is about to head over to her to try and ask what that may be... until a wounded Larimar returns to the town, looking rather nervous, and altering the healer's trajectory straight to him.

"You appear to be missing a few bits and pieces," Thaum comments as he examines Larimar's wounds, with the unspoken question of "what happened?" being quite clear.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    How many HP is Larimar missing?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Larimar's got about 22 hp of damage still (5 nonlethal) and 2 INT damage.

"Um. Yeeeeaaaah..." Larimar says to Thaum, looking behind himself again.

He explains, "I was following some dire wolf tracks. Found them in a clearing about fifteen minutes from here, plotting something with a Nemesis Owl. Actually, there's three intelligent worgs that know some kind of ice magic and four dire wolves..." he says, wincing and rubbing at his wounds.

"I might have beat them all still, until that Nemesis Owl came back. I was just screwing around giving it a riddle I thought was impossible. Then it .. it actually turned into a giant, seven-legged, acid-spitting spider that eats dire wolves for breakfast."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

As Larimar explains, Thaum assesses the wounds (also calmly but pointedly stopping the chobin from touching his wounds), applying a healing spell, afterwards briefly touching his head, making that strange slowness in his mind go away. There is a raising of eyebrows and a brief pause as he listens to what happened. This forest certainly is holding its fair share of surprises. And riddles appear to be detrimental when dealing with Nemesis Owls.

"Do you feel we should gather the group and investigate?" he asks, as he retrieves and uses his magic stone, removing all various blood and dirt stains.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After the wagon was unloaded and stoved away there seem to be a bit more action in the little village. Little Children are running around, but also seem to be pretty involved in day to day activities. A little girl is carrying a bucket of water nearly as big as herself (and not even half-full) towards the rabite barn. A goose get's plucked and another child looks after fitting feathers and carry's them towards a woman who fletches arrows. A happily humming man brings out some small cakes to cool off. By a short look you think there may be as much awakened rabites as humans here.

Spoiler: For everyone just strolling around
    Show
    The people here seem pretty relaxed there are not as many children as you may expect and the people seem to be pretty used to adventurers.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    You don't see anyone who seems to be really hurt. There is a little child that has scraped his knee (that is not even a point of damage), if you decide to help the other villagers definitely take positive note of you. You realize that most of the people around are wearing a weapon, even if it's just a larger knife. The villagers seem to be attentive without being paranoid, there seem to be every so often someone who looks at the sky and then nods relieved. All-in-all there seem to be like attentive pioneers who definitely know that there are not entirely welcome but have decided too carve out they're portion of the world.
    OOC: None of the adults are 0-level commoners, there all seem to have some class levels.

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    There are a lot of different smells in the little village. Little snacks walking around, someone baking someone, the smell of humans, chickens and geese in another barn. You can't really smell anything fitting here. When looking at the fence you run into another guy also checking the fence daily and you get roped into repairing it. He doesn't seem to mind your look and comments more that if you can swing these giant swords you surely can help him here. While working you find out that they never have a problem with burrowers inside the town. The Needlions burrow outside to spring up but have never before get inside the village.

Spoiler: Zanthia
    Show
    When you're taking a stroll throughout town, the villagers can't help but stopping their work and glancing at you. Even some of the rabites seem to get a little hearteyed when you're floating past and there is even one dashing young man who looks at you, can't get a word out and offers you a small mostly-blue white freckled flower. Generally the people seem pretty open to strangers, no matter the form of their ears or they're other appearance.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    It seems there is no one following you, you're especially relieved when the fog over your head get's lifted but are still pretty sure that whatever was ripped out of your skull may still be in the posession of one of the wargs.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks. Though it still feels like one of those worgs ripped something out of my head..." Larimar says, smiling up at Thaum. "I think we probably should go investigate. And I'd like to get whatever they took from me back, for one thing."

"With all of us together, we shouldn't have a problem taking them out. Though I'd watch out for that giant spider thing if the owl is still that. It's quite a scary monster."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-05-13 at 11:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum nods in response. "That does sound rather worrying. Let us gather the group. I will go fetch Aned," he points to the teetering tower. "and whoever else I come across we can go over what happened and how we want to deal with it then." With that said, Thaum does as he said, heading to the tower to see if Aned is still around, as well as informing all other party members he may come across about the meeting at the gate.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina sees Thaum and Larimar talking and given the state of the latter when they arrived, she's pretty sure something's up. Once she can get away from the townie who put her to work, she tromps off after the pair, guessing they may need her and the others' help.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

Coming down from the tower, Aned bumps into Thaum, and after being informed of the situation, heads to the gate to see Larimar and the others. "Thaum informed me of a very... perplexing situation you seem to have found yourself in." she says, "If there are magical beasts here scheming, then it is definitely something we must investigate, assuming you are willing to lead us there?"
    With my dying breath

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum also heads to Terryn's house, knocking at the door.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia tags along, hoping to find something to advance their quest
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, I'll lead you all there," Larimar says as the group assembles. "I guess we just need Coney now?"

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney has by now prepped supper, but none of her colleagues showing up to hang. Indignant, she lopes out and around town, and finds everyone gathered around a bandaged up Larimar. When she is brought up to speed on the situation in a way that prioritizes expediency over verisimilitude, she initially shrinks back.

"ANOTHER Nemesis Owl? Two in one day? That's terrifying. But I will help. We must defend the village."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

"Well then, lead the way," Thaum says to Larimar once the group is assembled.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar begins leading the others in the same direction he went the first time, explaining that there's four dire wolves and probably still three worgs and, well that crazy owl that turned into something scary. They can probably start seeing the destruction of knocked-over trees as they get close.

"If you're going to prepare," he says quietly, "Now's probably a good time."

(Larimar's bow is out, by the way.)

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Without further ado, Thaum begins to draw upon Undine's energies, to guide attacks away from the group like water choosing the path of least resistance.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum casts mass shield of faith, granting a +4 deflection bonus to AC (due to Extension of Blessing) to the whole group.

Spell slots
    0 6/6
    1 7/8
    2 7/7
    3 6/6
    4 3/5

Spoiler: Active Party Effects
    Show
    Everyone +4 deflection AC (8 minutes; mass shield of faith)
    Thaum +4 resistance bonus to saves (something less than 24 hours, greater resistance)

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

As the group heads back out into the woods, Coney becomes just as twitchy as she had been after the first encounter with an Owl. She pauses for a moment to refresh her magical protections, and then winces as she transforms herself into a massive skunk. It's immedately apparent - and perhaps a relief - to her companions that the latter effect is merely a simple illusion, but ehs is clearlly hoping that it will discourage an attack from above.

Show
    Coney casts Mage Armour, and uses Naberius' Disguise Self ability to turni into a Small-sized skunk. Because...why not?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The group get's deeper into the forest, when they get nearer the place where Larimar was before, there are several broken trees and flattened underbrush, along with several splotches where the ground is burned in with acid. After a rough half an hour, the group comes towards two wargs that seem to try to nurture another warg back to health (licking his wounds).

Spoiler: Map
    Show

They are surrounded by several Dire wolfs. The speaker worg looks up. "Gotta finish what you started?"

It's your turn first if you want to act.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Finish what we started? There seems to be a misunderstanding here, we didnt start anything. Is there someway we can help? Zanthia holds her hands, displaying no weapon or harmful intent.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+24)[42]
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2020-05-18 at 07:55 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

"Well now, that depends," Larimar says, "My friends are here now, and it seems you've chosen the wrong friend. Why don't you just tell us what you're planning? .. and this doesn't have to get ugly."

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Good Cop, Bad Cop?

intimidate: (1d20+9)[26]

minus any size modifiers

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

With the talks started (however long or short they may turn out to be), Thaum observes the opposite party, trying to get a read on them, as well as the current situation.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Sense Motive vs the other group (1d20+22)[38]

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The rabite/skunk waddles up with the others. The clear absence of a mad spellcasting predator emboldened her.

"Yeah. Who would you rather be friends with? An omnicidal crazy owl or a bunch of sane but not tasty folks?"

Show
    Taking 10 for 32 on Zanthia's efforts to make friends.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

Diplomacy not being Aned's strong suit, she nudges Rina and whispers to her. "Be on the look out for that owl... or that acid-dripping creature Larimar mentioned."

Keeping her hand on her blade, she looks around carefully, particularly at the crowns of the nearby trees.

Show
    Spot (1d20+11)[26]
    With my dying breath

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The wargs canine faces are nearly impossible to read, but when the Party talks they're is definitely a change in their expression. They're ears perk up when Zanthia speaks and at least one of the dire wolves takes their tail between they're legs when Larimar speaks. The speaking skunk however seems to confuse them more than do everything else.

The arm worg try's to speak in a hush but is still loud enough that the party can hear. "Perhaps we should hear them out. I mean, the pipsqueak didn't kill Ior, but he clearly could, you saw how all these arrows flew around."

The speaker worg snorts but steps forward and barks at the Dire wolves who slink back a bit.

"I don't get the whole picture myself, just to be clear. The Owls seem to think that someone or something wants to take over the forest and for who knows what reason they decided too go to a recruitment drive. They couldn't charm us, because we are way too smart for that." The other worg piques in. "And thanks to Ior!" The speaker worg growls and the other quickly tucks his tail between his legs and lays down to make himself as small as possible.

"We figured we could at least get some snacks out of the agreement but could neither make heads nor tails about the insane ramblings of the Owl. As usual." He looks around. "You see how it usually get's when you try to talk with them, and we consider ourselves lucky that nobody of us died."

Spoiler: Attitude
    Show
    changed from Hostile to Unfriendly.

Spoiler: Zanthia
    Show
    You definitely think your words at least convinced them of your nonagressive intentions, though you're not sure if they believe that you're wanna help genuinely.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    You're sure they either wanted to attack you or run away (perhaps taking the wounded warg with them) but they're definitely are now more open to negotiations. You're also think that Larimar did a memorable impression on them.

Spoiler: Aned
    Show
    The sky seems clear for now, but two of the acid splotches (B44 and J46) seem to sizzle or seem as they are more fresh than the others.

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    They're smells everywhere! The acid burns in your nose and the three wargs are reaking with wet dog smell. This part of the forest seems to be full of their smell.