New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Agatha struggles a bit more, but suddenly calms down, with a few strange movements of her ears her body begins to radiate heat. The Nemesis owl screeches but doesn't loosen her grip that changes when Agatha is suddenly replaced with a furios Rina whose blade nearly misses the screaching creature who get's peppered by arrows.

"Screaching feathers! Stop!"

The Nemesis owl get's a menacing glare in her eyes and folds her wings, but still seems to be able to remain airborn. Little shady yellow eyes seem to pop up around the owl and suddenly chase towards Rina.

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    Make a Fortitude save against 22 if you fail you are panicked for (1d4)[3] rounds and then shaken for 2 hours, you'd also be sickened for 2 Hours if you fail your save.

It then makes a swift motion towards Larimar and a ray of crawling, chittering and hissing insects moves itself towards him.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    Touch attack: (1d20+11)[13] If hit you must make a Will save against 18 or the feeling of crawling, gnashing and slithering insects on your body makes you only able to make a standard or move action. Even if you make the save you lose 2 AC for 12 rounds.

The needlion who has shoot his needles now seems to be out of them and twirls around on the ground, trying to get his balance back.

The one who attacked Rina before looks a bit befuddled, because he now has an apparently burning rabite before it thinks it better to curl up.

The other's attack again.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Attack on Larimar: (1d20+10)[27], Damage (1d6+4)[9]

Attack on Aned: (1d20+10)[29], Damage (1d6+4)[9]

Attack on Coney:(1d20+10)[23], Damage (1d6+4)[7]

One of the rabites screams "Scather!" And most of them do just that.

Carvy get's behind the needlion who bit Coney and jabs him with one his ears!

Spoiler: Carvy attack
    Show

To hit:(1d20+6)[7]
    Damage: (1d2)[2] Sneak attack (2d6)[11], Recoil Damage (1d4)[4]

Zark goes towards the sacred one and try's to drag him away though he doesn't seem to react.

Houm takes a step back and hums a serene tone.

The sacred one seems to survey the battle, the initial shock seems to have been subsided and it looks like it thinks calmly about what it should do now. It waves his ears in motion with the tone Houm is humming.

Spoiler: Party effects
    Show
    Add a +2 to hit and damage.
    And everyone get's hasted.

Spoiler: Updated map
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney Massing

Trying to slip away from the needlions around her, Coney clears her throat and speaks to the nearest needlion.

"Hey, you're outnumbered and it's too dangerous up here. You should go back down into your hole and stay there."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    5' step NW to get away from the needlions.
    Standard: cast Suggestion on the nearest of the needlions. Will DC 19.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Coney Massing
    Female Neutral Rabite Binder 1 / Sorcerer 4 / Anima Mage 3, Level 8, Init 4, HP 45/45, Speed 20
    AC 21, Touch 16, Flat-footed 19, Fort 12, Ref 9, Will 17, Base Attack Bonus 4.17
    Attack counts as magic Bite +3 (1d4, )
    Mage Armour (+4 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Natural, +3 Misc)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 22
    Condition Mage Armour in effect
    Bound Naberius
    Recitation in Effect
    Haste effect
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Just as quick as the Nemesis Owl glares at Rina, Thaum "pulls" a droplet of floating water from his body with his thumb and index finger before sending it flying into the warrior, infusing her with a rush of courage, the brief glowing emanating from her also having the same effect on the silktail and Houm.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard Cast remove fear on Rina. Since I can affect more targets, the silktail and Houm also get the spell. They get +4 morale on saves vs fear and any currently active fear effects (such as the one on Rina right now if she failed her save vs the owl glare) are suppressed for the 10 minute duration.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar winces a bit as a Needlion bites into him, all the while avoiding the nasty spray of bugs sent his way. But given the superior positive energy Thaum fused into his body, the needlion was hardly more than an annoyance. And they were not his prey. Now hasted and empowered even more, Larimar dashes through the dense underbrush, pushing through it (to F11), and he aims up, taking another shot at the owl.

Spoiler: stuff
    Show
    Larimar Flint: 55/43 HP
    AC: 20
    Fortitude: 9 , Reflex: 13 , Will: 9
    Recitation for 7 rounds

Attack: (1d20+21)[25] +1 to this from haste for 26
    Damage: (1d6+9)[12] + (1d6)[1] nonlethal

I will have provoked 2 AoOs from those needlions too.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-07-22 at 08:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the Nemesis Owl adequately confronted by her allies, Aned focuses on taking out the needlions that are menacing the rabites. Hopping back into a more tactical position, she takes another two quick strikes at the needlion that struck her with her eagle claw.

Show
    Five Foot Step to N14. Two attacks to the Needlion in M14. I assume the rabite will help me with flanking?
    Attack 1 (1d10+17)[26] Damage (4d6+1)[13]
    Attack 2 (1d20+12)[21] Damage (4d6+1)[19]
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina tries to withstand the Nemesis owl's fearful eyeball effects.

Spoiler: ooc/rolls
    Show

Fort save: (1d20+6)[18]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

Too many eyes. Too many memories of glowing ember pupils in the dark, monsters watching her as she was given an ironic gift, or a fitting curse.

Rina would have lost to her fears then and there, but Thaum's magics put a pin in that whole mess as near as it begins, and in a flash she's forgotten about all that and just REALLY wants to murder this bird.

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

(1d20+6)[19] I think that's the correct mod after being sickened... -2

(1d12+2)[12]

<BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The needlion that got a suggestion squieks a series of noises and then buries down. The one who was tumbled around before sees his buddy burying down and follows him in the same tunnel. And the one that Aned attacked falls down.

They don't all seem convinced however because one charges towards Thaum.

Spoiler: OOC attack against Thaum.
    Show
    Will save against sanctuary effect: (1d20+6)[14]
    Attack (1d20+12)[22]
    Damage [ROLL]1d6+4[ROLL]

And the last rolls away from a burning Agatha and drills towards the Ground, though it has hit a more stony ground and seems to have slight problems getting deeper.

When Rina's Sword slashes the owl and she get's another hit from Larimar she looks badly hurt, her wings only flapping slightly.

The Nemesis owl loses it.

"You damn snacks! How could you, how could you, how could you!?" She darts upward 50 feet.

Spoiler: OOC, Rina
    Show
    You get an attack of opportunity.

"You're just not worth it! Take a gift!"

The Nemesis Owl raises a claw up into the air and hurls it down.

Between you disgusting fumes rise up and make you wretch.

Spoiler: OOC. Map
    Show
    MAP, everyone in the squares (Rina, Larimar, Coney, Thaum needs to make a Fortitude saves against 19 or is nauseated (you all should get another total +5 for the recitation and bard song active, except Thaum he only gets +2 from the song.) Additionally the cloud is 20 feet high and blocks line of sight for the Owl who flew up, for everyone in the cloud.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina may go down retching and barfing once that cloud takes effect, but before that...

She just snarls at the audacity of an owl declaring that she's nothing but food. But prey. She is a goddamn lion, even if nobody knows it. This upstart needs some clarification and swings a clipping strike at her foe.

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[24]

(1d12+2)[4]

Fort save: (1d20+6)[17]

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney Massing

As the cloud descends, Coney takes a massive breath. Turning quickly to the needlion who was chomping at Thaum, she offered a simple, direct request.

"Halt!"

The rabite quickly covers her nose with an ear and leaps free of the cloud before drawing a long, shuddering breath.

Show
    Coney's Fort Save roll was 22.

Standard action: Using her binding of Naberius to access his Command ability. Halt prevents the needlion from taking any action for 1 round, but it is not helpless. Coney is hoping that the cloud incapacitates it. Will DC 17 negates.

Move action: Move 20' to get free of the cloud. I can't quite tell from the map which direction permits this. I've moved her 20' on the map, but if that movement leaves her in the cloud, she'll instead move as you direct to get free of the cloud.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing how the needlion decides against actually attacking Thaum, he instead heads deeper into the cloud, locating what chobin-y retching noises, Larimar feeling a hand on his shoulder, wiping the nausea away, so that at least Larimar can get out of the cloud and continue defending the others.

Show
    Five-foot step towards Larimar (H13), cast panacea on Larimar to cure the nausea. Stinking cloud only forces new saves on the caster's turn, so Larimar can get out of the cloud without a new save.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

The damn owl! Not only did it cast a spell to make some kind of cloud to obscure his vision... the cloud descended upon them, and it stunk horribly! It really stank. So bad, that Larimar, with his sensitive nose, was beginning to cough and retch.

Oh spirits, I'm going to..!

Just as Larimar felt as though he was about to hurl, a hand gently touched against him. Now, either this cloud didn't smell so bad, or.. the bile in the chobin's stomach wasn't about to launch out of his mouth just yet. Without another thought as to what just happened or which was which, Larimar made his way to the middle of the clearing (I8) and looked up to spot the owl.

Narrowing his eyes, he said, "Oh, no you don't, you son of a vulture!"

Spoiler: Pew!
    Show
    Larimar Flint: 55/43 HP
    AC: 20
    Fortitude: 11 , Reflex: 15 , Will: 11
    Recitation for 6 rounds

Attack: (1d20+21)[39]
    Damage: (1d6+8)[11] + (1d6)[6] nonlethal

13. - Top - End - #493
    Orc in the Playground

"Ah!" Any satisfaction Aned could derive from successfully dispatching a foe is overcast by the massive toxic cloud that envelopes her friends. Compounding that, she sees another needlion charging towards Thaum. Gritting her teeth, she ducks between the rabites and lashes out at it with her blade. "Escape with your life. Can you not see you have already lost?"

Show
    Moving I15 and attacking the Needlion on H15. Alas, a few feet short from getting that sweet flanking bonus.
    Attack (1d20+15)[20] Damage (1d6+1)[3]
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Nemesis owl wants to begin another casting as Larimar's arrow hit's one of her wings in a debilitating way.

"You can't, I'm a..." And it at first falls down slowly but rapidly gains speed while it falls towards the ground.

The needlion that Aned attacked curls up and some of his sharp needles seem to poke out a bit more, but it doesn't attack directly. The one needlion who wanted to flee get's down into the ground and disappears as well. The silktail sneezes very loud and the sneeze is so powerful that it actually blows the stinking cloud away.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

As he sees very little of the fight and does his best to keep everything inside that should ideally stay inside at this juncture. Until a loud and adorable sounding gale whips past, billowing the loose robes Thaum is wearing over the rest of his clothes, as well as his hair doing a fine job of illustrating the invisible air streams, all while golden eyes blink in surprise. Orienting himself, there are less needlions (probably escaped), the Nemesis Owl is spiraling down (probably unconscious), aaaaand... same number of allies. That is good. Not much he can do about the owl's descent without wildly irresponsible risk to the group.

"Everyone in need of healing, to me." Might as well tend to a matter he can do something about.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The nemesis owl tumbles towards the ground and lands there. Hurt but still breathing. When Thaum offers healing Carvy comes towards him and shows him his ear where he jabbed a needlion with.

The needlion who curled up very slowly try's to crawl away.

The unawakened rabites come closer again. The silktail mumbles something to them and they seem more relaxed.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    not rabitian, just relaxing sounds.

The other three awakened rabites seem in awe and look at the owl quite perplexed till Houm says:"I think that is the first time I saw one of those defeated." He looks at Coney and wants to say something but he gets interrupted by agatha (who doesn't radiate heat anymore.) "How can we thank you, miss Masing?"
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-08-01 at 02:27 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum goes down onto one knee, carefully holding Carvy's injured ear in one hand while letting healing magic flow into the rabite with the other, watching the needles fall out of the ear and the punctures close, along with a nice soothing feeling.

"You are good to go now," Thaum says with a gentle smile, letting go off the ear.

He looks over to the unconscious owl, still alive. "What now? What are we to do with the owl? They never seemed open to talking."

Show
    Thaum uses his healing hands on Carvy to cure the damage.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar squints up as the owl falls to the ground. He creeps up a few steps and watches as its body falls and hits the ground unceremoniously, no more than a couple feet before him.

"Welp. That takes care of that. For now," Larimar says with some satisfaction, putting his bow away and pulling out the rope he assaulted himself with yesterday under similar circumstances.

Looking over his shoulder he says, "Nobody cast anything, not even any form a detection spell that includes this owl.. or I think it will make you crazy."

Larimar begins bringing the rope around the owl, throwing it over and looping it around its body and wings, eventually forming a few tight knots. Use Rope: (1d20+5)[18]

"I think maybe we should take this owl back to the wizard. Um, what was his name again? I'm sure the guy might have some idea of what do so with it.. maybe a way to interrogate it safely or even remove its madness.. right?"

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The elder rabite turns to Carvy, not wanting to approach the owl at all. She trusted her braver colleagues to deal with binding the dangerous creature.

"You and your friends are very brave, to have fought off so many dangerous creatures. Rabiton could certainly use you, and you would all be safer there. Would you like to come back with us?"

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Carvy grants Thaum a thankful smile and waves his ear around a bit.

When Larimar binds the owl his wings and claws move a tiny bit, but not enough to hinder his endeavor of binding the unconscious creature.

Coney's question kicks off a short lived but heated discussion. Houm finally mentions that they may have decided upon they're way of living in the past but with the owls being that aggressive and more dangers on the way, they should try to get to safety and if the crisis is over, they can again decide to leave the village.

The silk tail is listening intently and when they finally decide to follow you back to Rabiton, he grows again to that immense size you saw him in before and several rabites travel under him to be protected from airborn predators.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Walking back to Rabiton with the others, Thaum inquires about whether people there have seen Zanthia, though he has a feeling he already knows the answer. Next stop: Rince. Should his familiar pipe up, he just tells the bird to go back to sleep.

"We have captured a Nemesis Owl. You don't happen to know more about them and how we might mitigate their madness without causing haywire magic, do you?"

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney encourages the rabbits to come back with them to Rabiton.

"Yes, yes. We'll introduce you to Andrew and Rem, the sort-of-leaders. I'm sure they'd be delighted to talk with you about a more ongoing residence there, for as long as you like."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The night falls when the group returns to rabiton the nearly disappeared moon shines only weakly.

Thaum's concern turns out to be true. In that no one has seen Zanthia. Rince at least has a bit better news.

"You have captured one? That is great! Exactly what my master wanted. I have to do several tests of course but I already was developing a prototype, with a live specimen it's going to be a lot faster. Bring it in please."

Rince brings you in a room full of alchemical and magical features.

A great alchemical lab is in one corner and a great magical circle stitched on a runner in the other one. In the lab there is a homunculus currently breeding and slowly shifting and growing. Rince needs to get some stuff rearranged but he gets a table where the owl can be stretched on. Not so hard that it's in danger of losing limbs, but still quite secure. He drops a concoction in its beak. "with that it may sleep longer. I don't want it conscious for the tests. Does one of you have a possibility to negate the madness they cause? That would make my work much faster and I can release the creature earlier."

The other rabites and the silk tail are welcomed with open arms. The pink silktail shrinks again when you're in rabiton and he seems quite winded. After some back and forth there are going to sleep in the temple for a while till the wall is made bigger and some temporary housing is established. It seems it's not the first time this has been done.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm. Was hoping you might know how to deal with the madness," Larimar says. "I was warning everyone, that I think even catching the owl in a spell as simple as.. detecting magic inflicts this madness. I am pretty sure that happened to me already..." The Chobin looks down sheepishly at his tail, still with a bite mark caused by himself.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-08-06 at 10:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

"It appears that way," Thaum agrees with Larimar, along with a nod, creating a slow wave through his azure hair. "At the time, we did not know about this effect and Larimar sadly was affected by this magic backlash. However, a protection from evil, or likely a protection against any alignment, was able to supress it, and once the spell ended, the madness did not return, so this backlash appears to be shortlived, a few minutes at most. I can provide the protections, if you would like."

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Once the newly-minted citizens of Rabiton are looked after, Coney hops up the tower to join in the hand-over of the terrifying owl. She has little to add to her colleagues' description of events, and simply stays well back, watching the still form of the owl, her nose twitching furiously.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rince replies to Larimar. "I meant more of a short term solution. I may be able to make something if I have the right idea what's exactly is causing this madness."

Rince looks towards Thaum and smiles. "If you can provide that spell I would be happy to get your assistance. The sooner we can do something the better. I'm sure it will benefit greatly for my other work assignment."

The owl twitches and they're eyes are rolling behind closed lids, but it seems it stays asleep.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum nods and provides Rince with the spell to shield him from the backlash, followed by assisting the research.

Show
    Thaum casts protection from evil on Rince.

Heal (1d20+17)[23]
    Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+1)[20] untrained, so can only go up to DC 10 info

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rince casts several spells on the unconscious owl, some from a scroll. After a day's work it turns out that the magical response comes somehow from its muscle stomach.

After the second day a kind of gland at the side of the stomach is located and Rince thinks that it's secretions may counter the madness the owl brings even upon itself when it casts a spell.

With Thaum's help some of the secretions can be harvested without harming the creature. "I think I can work with that. Thanks for your help, I should be able to work with what we have."

[SPOILER=OOC] I'm going to assume that you made some patrols and Coney bound his other thing. Should you wanted to do something different, just write it in the OOC[\SPOILER]

It's relatively peaceful around the village, though several times Coney can see a nemesis owl that turns around and flys away. The wargs seem to keep they're promise and stay away from rabiton. Temporal housing has also been established for the additional rabites and they also help with the patrols.

The silktail stays in the village and inspects everything.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina, once it's safe to heal her, merely volunteers to help with the patrols and watches. She has two big swords; the sight of her should certainly help.