New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Coney

On the day after their return with the rabites, silktail and owl, Coney seems...different. Less talkative than usual, and without the gravelly deepness in her voice. More touchy-feely, cheerful and, well, with teeth and tongue that had suddenly turned black. She assures her colleagues that she's fine.

In between patrols, Coney will split her evenings between her children and the newly-arrived rabites and silktail. She's trying to better understand the magical and mental capacities of this strange silktail, and help the others adjust to what will pass for urban culture for the time being.

Spoiler: Malphas
    Show
    Quick reference to the capabilities associated with Malphas:

Influence: While influenced by Malphas, you fall in love too easily. A kind word or a friendly gesture can cause you to devote yourself entirely to another person. Should that person reject your affection, your broken heart mends the moment another attractive person shows you some kindness. In addition, if you have access to poison, Malphas requires that you employ it against your foes at every opportunity. Coney does not have poison.

Granted Abilities:
    Bird’s Eye Viewing: At will, you can summon a dove or a raven to aid your powers of observation. (Use the statistics for a raven regardless of the creature’s form.) The bird appears perched on your shoulder. You have complete control over its actions, and you can see what it sees and hear what it hears. Use the bird’s skill checks to determine the results of its actions and observations (for example, Bluff, Search, Spot, Listen), but use your skill bonuses to derive information from its observations (for example, Knowledge, Sense Motive, or Spellcraft to identify a spell). The
    bird cannot talk. You can have only one bird summoned at a time. It remains until you summon another dove or raven, mentally dismiss it (a standard action), or stop binding with Malphas.
    Invisibility: As a full-round action, you can make yourself invisible (as with the invisibility spell). Making an attack ends the invisibility (as normal), but otherwise, the effect lasts a number of rounds equal to your effective
    binder level. You can invoke this ability as a standard action at 5th level, as a move action at 10th level, and as a swift action at 15th level. Once you return to visibility, you cannot use this ability again for 5 rounds.
    Poison Use: You are not at risk of poisoning yourself when handling
    poison or applying it to a weapon.
    Sudden Strike: With your melee attack, you deal an extra 1d6 points of damage plus 1d6 points per four effective binder levels anytime your target would be denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. This extra
    damage applies to ranged attacks only if the opponent
    is within 30 feet. The extra damage from sudden strike stacks with
    that from sneak attack whenever both would apply to the same target.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

"Have you seen anything in regards to the cult?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I hate this weather. Too warm. Brain doesn't want to work. Sleep is bad.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Well I have used some of my spells but nothing came up, I wait for the report of my familiar who should be here any..."

And the raven nearly rams itself into Rince who struggles a moment to keep his balance and finally helds a raven up who breaths heavily. "There... There is a guy."

"how many? How far away from the village?" "Nono it's just one guy, hides tacked onto him like he is some kind of savage."

Rince seems worried. "was there invisible movement? Like rustling gras from a mass of people or..." "nothing that I could see. Just one guy who ran pretty fast towards the village. He's probably there in short time."

"I think we should take a look. Gather your friends, perhaps there is more to this person than one bird could see."

When you come towards the village entrance you don't have to wait long till you see one man jogging towards the village. With a second look you realize it's Mart who looks a bit disheveled but otherwise seems alright.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I hate it when I do nothing and I feel like I'm melting...
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-08-12 at 02:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, let's." Thaum rushes down to the entrance of Rabiton. It takes a moment, but once he recognizes Mart, he gestures for the guards to stand down, in case they appear alerted.

"Mart, are you alright?" Healer priorities, clearly. "Did you find anything?"

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

As the group clusters around Mart, Coney summons her own raven to go and scout from the air. If the cult had Mart followed once, there was always a possibility that they were out there, following him, once again.

Spoiler: Bird's Eye Viewing
    Show
    A pretty regular raven, but Coney is able to see and issue commands in realtime. Basically, just scouting out around Mart, to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises, while Coney herself gathers around their friend.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

After a few days of uneventful patrolling around and checking traps, Larimar hears the news of a crazy savage and invisible attackers following him to invade the village!

Running to the entrance, he sees Mart.. but.. hm... is it the Mart they knew, or did he get brainwashed again?

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The guards who were on alert are a bit less so when Thaum reassures them but still stay on guard. Mart is pleasantly surprised when he sees Thaum and the others.

Spoiler: CONEY
    Show
    You can't see anyone who you don't expect near Mart, though you're birds eye view gives you a good look at several sticks and leaves that have hang itself into his lower hair.

"you're already here, huh? That's great news for once. I'm fine I just ran for a while and through some stuff I should have not run through." He looks at the others with some worry. "They are going to come here. It's the boss with some guys I knew and some others with crazed eyes that I never saw before. He talked with a feral looking owl but I was too afraid to go near them."

He sighs. "They're pretty fast for a big bunch of people. I did my best but I fear we have only a day,more or less."
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-08-13 at 12:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum reflexively hits Mart with a droplet of healing water. "We should call a meeting, get the group and important town figures together. We need to hear how many they are, what the ones you know can do, and how we are going to deal with the situation. We still have some time to prepare, best we spend it on the right means."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum uses cure light wounds on Mart, healing him for (1d8+23)[29] HP

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

"They're coming from the direction you ran from?" Larimar asks.

Nodding to Thaum, he agrees, "Yes, I suppose a meeting is in order. Everyone needs to know so they can make their preparations, be it in fleeing or fighting."

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mart nods, the healing water Thaum Drops towards him doesn't seem to be doing anything except letting him feel a bit better. "Thanks, I'll tell you if we have everyone together."

It's not long till you have Rem and Andrew together in the temple. Joining you is Houm and a small rabite in a deep blue robe who has colored the tip of his ears blue too. Mart seems to feel a tad uncomfortable but begins his raport.

"I found them on the winter edge of the forest and I think they will be Pretty fast and stay on the road. It's just the easiest way, they may be here in a day or two. They pretty much consist of the leader of the cult. He is a massive guy who punches you very hard… But you also feel the chill of an Altena winter with each fist. The cold is in his blood." The rabite in a robe doesn't look pleased but doesn't comment. "They're is also his second in command. I can't tell you much about him, only that he's an elf. They're also three of his commanders. I know about two of them. Friselda a sorceress that is also quite good with a dagger and Ganthur a swordman from Valsena. I don't know anything about the third."

"There are also about 30 fighters. They are relatively able but I could win against any of them in a straight fight. And there are also ten of these strange guys in robes I have also never seen before. They have quite an unsettling look about them."

"Also the leader did talk with a strange owl-like creature and didn't seemed very pleased."

They're all absorbing the information and Andrew is the first to speak, you notice that he seems way more calm than the first time you told him about the cult. "I know it seems pretty bad but if we can build on our strenghts I think we can make it. We have a wall and if we can keep them out we shouldn't be very much in danger. They didn't had any siege engines or anything, did they?" Mart shaked his head indicating no. "We can just wall off, let Rince cast some impressive tricks and they could perhaps be scared off, right frostbite?" The rabite in the robe shaked his head.

"It's coldhand! And I don't think it's that easy. If he has one of the owls on they're side they could level one section off the wall, something that's already happened before and then were open like a delicious and vulnerable oyster." Coldhand smacks his lips for emphasis. "I think the best thing Rince could do is try to counter the magic of the owl and other people try to take it out of the air to keep our wall safe. Play to our strengths. I heard one of you could fly and the other was a legendary shoot?" Coldhand adresses the group.

Rem also adds. "If they come closer we could try to blind some of them. I already worked with Houm and the others, making wool slits for the walls."
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-08-17 at 04:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar clears his throat a bit and nods, "Yeah, the shoot would be me. Bagged my first Nemesis Owl the other day, although I definitely had some help..." The Chobin nods again, this time to Thaum.

"Taking the owls out is definitely a priority, and projectile weapons are the way to go. Using magic on them is liable to make the caster go crazy, unless... well, someone like Thaum helps ward against it. But the problem is, Thaum can't be everywhere."

Looking at Marts, Larimar says, "Hm. Still haven't got a weapon since we last met? I wonder if we could find something for you."

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Ha, I knew it!" Says coldhand and hops towards Larimar, inspecting him curiously. "If this is over we have to share some stories. I'm sure there is a whole lot more for someone shooting down a Nemesis owl! And I can tell you about the time I... But yes, we talk about it another day."

Mart responds: "I still have my sword from last time, it's a good blade but not enchanted or anything like that. I don't think I particularly need anything more fancy. If you have anything to spare I could use it of course, but perhaps the villagers would be better equipped to handle that."

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

"Any magic and flying will be the biggest threats, I imagine. I cannot offer much on the subject of siege tactics other than using the walls' battlements as much as we can, as that should make the regular soldiers much less of a headache while the more dangerous elements are targeted," Thaum offers. Military tactics are a fair bit outside of his wheelhouse. But he at least wants to make sure to nip any foolhardy attempts to fight in front of the walls in the bud, instead of using the power multiplier that is the walls.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney sits, silent and pensive for most of the exchange. She also feels that she doesn't have much to offer in conversations about full-on wars, but she would do her best. She pipes up gently.

"Um. Since Rabiton has already had experience in setting up defensive traps, perhaps we could create more - or shift the existing ones - into the path that we expect the invaders to follow. Especially if we can do it close to the walls, where they'll keep them busy at a crucial moment.

"I, uh, have some artillery abilities myself. Fire against cold and all that. And I can help with distractions.

"But, Mart, sweet, I want to be very sure I understand. Is this attack about wiping out all the Rabites? Do you know if the leader has a more specific goal in mind? If so, we need to be ready for that. We might even be able to use it to our advantage."

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"That's a good idea, we will instruct our hunters as such. We may have problems concealing them, when we expect them to come on the road. But I'm sure they can come up with something." Says Andrew.

Mart responds with: "Well as far as I... Sweet?" Mart looks a tad surprised at Coney and looks quizical at her but catches himself. "Well if he does it like it was talked about before he'll warn the City that they are here to wipe out the rabites. If they don't hand them out they'll try to kill as many of them as possible in an attack and spare the non-rabite survivors to reveal them what is really behind all of them." It seems like Mart want's to add something but doesn't.

Houm chimes in. "Well besides them being totally bonkers I think we should get Agatha, mister coldhand here and Rince together. See what we can do to help with the defenses. I fear beside some relaxing singing I can't provide that much. Miss Masing, Aned, Larimar and Thaum may I ask you to join? I think these are the best in countering the magical dangers. I would also like the sacred one to join us, perhaps he even understands the gist of our plans."

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar raises a clawed finger (though not really that sharp) and says, "If we really shore up the gate's defenses and make it impenetrable, they'll likely have to try to get in elsewhere. That's where the traps will come in handy. They could disable or perhaps at least slow down their men, and it would give our side more time to regroup as well. And more time to wear them down."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-08-19 at 11:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing about what this cult will be trying does cause Thaum to raise his eyebrows and breathe in deep through his nose. Part of him wishes they were just stupid instead of indoctrinated. But that is something they will need to deal with when the time comes.

"Sure," Thaum says to Houm.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney nodded at Larimar's wisdom.

"Even if the traps are off to the side of the road, encouraging them to clump up together, that sould be good for us, too. And...hard though this will be in practice, it's important to remember that these are people. People who have been mislead and lied to, but maybe just scared and a little lost. If we can stop them without killing -"

She ear-shrugged, knowing full well that most of the ways in which she could stop them involved killing force. Except for...

"Mart? Could you maybe give me a clearer description of the big bad Rabite that the cult talks about? Maybe, if it appears in the skies overhead, we can scare some of them into running away from the battle."

Show
    Oh, Silent Image. How many ways do I love thee?

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looked over nervously at Coney and said, "Uh.. I think that may only confirm their beliefs, and when the time comes to talk reason into them, they'll be less receptive to the idea that.. you know. Rabites aren't evil?" At least not all of them, he mused to himself.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney nodded, accepting the wisdom of Larimar's thoughts.

"Good point. Perhaps a mass of rabites way off to the side - where the traps are - running away from the battle?"

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Show
    I wanna point out that I love the idea of the black rabite just casually hanging in the sky.

Mart seems a bit put off. "Well I have never given a really direct and detailed description of him. Other than the "jet black fur, darker than the darkest night" and some more elaborate descriptions. Off course some people talked about other stuff but that was just allegedly and contradictory, like the "teeth always soaked in blood" but they are also "shimmering like the moon in a crisp winter evening."

Mart nods when Larimar gives his idea.

"That would definitely let some of them run in that direction, I'm sure of it."

Rem nods happily. "Good, then we can prepare for that. Andrew you alerted some from Valsena, yes?" "Rince sent a message but they will probably don't arrive in time too help us." Rem humms approvingly. "I think that's good enough. If possible we want to spare as much of these folk as possible without endangering ourselves. The soldiers from Valsena then can take care of them instead of us imprisoning them in... I don't even know where we would put them in to be honest."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

"If I could suggest," Larimar begins, "I think only brave and very capable rabites should be outside the walls. Otherwise they could be put at great risk. And also, about those reinforcements to come.. perhaps, at the very least, they might be able to position themselves to catch those who try to escape? Because I still feel fairly confident they will be repelled."

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney nodded, appreciating both the beauty and the horror of Mart's descriptions of the Dark Rabite. She glanced around at the group, waiting for other ideas to pop up.

Show
    Happy to have other conversation about strategy ret-conned to proceed her next statement.

"If we have a day or so, perhaps we could appoint some quick-witted messengers to go out along the path to the winter forest, to evacuate anyone living near the road. Rem, dear, I'm sure you can find Mart somewhere cosy and comfy to stay tonight. I'd like to go and look at that wall a little more closely. And it sounds like we have some traps to move."

She claps her ears together twice.

"Good luck, everyone!"

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

It's time for one mousey type to roar.

"I... I'll stay outside the wall."

How long Rina was standing there is unknown but she fidgets in her oversized gear and keeps looking at the boots.

"I've been holding something back from you all. It's hard to explain, but it's... it's what my larger sword is for. If you just load me with enchantments, I think I can probably hold out and thin their ranks."

Her palm briefly wraps around the grip of the giant sword she can't possibly use effectively. "I say this because if we need the element of surprise, well, they won't see this coming..." Whatever this ability she's referring to is, she's not going to reveal it. Shame seems to surround the wood elf as she explains, or rather, partly explains this all.

"But trust me, if I'm out there we probably won't need any of the rabbites there to help..."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing Rina, it appears she is ready to reveal what has clearly been eating her for... basically all the time.

"I would prefer you to stay within the walls and fend off the opposition on the battlements, but if you are certain, I will do as you say."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

In the absence of eyebrows, Coney arches an ear in response to Rina's sort-of-announement. They had made friends with cultists, snakes, and all manner of other creatures. What horrible secret could Rina be hiding? Was there a Dark Mouse growing inside her, the equivalent of the Dark Rabite?

"Well, there's a fair chance that I could haul Rina back up to the wall if need be. Um. How big do you get, Rina?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-08-24 at 11:06 AM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

Seemingly embarrassed by the question, Rina gestures by extending her entire arm over her head, even standing on her tip toes. "At least
    this much and a bit more... It's not easy for me to talk about though...and for reasons that would become clear during the battle, it's not something I want to do flippantly..."
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Andrew piques in. "Are you in..." But get's quickly interrupted by Coldhand who jumps at Rina's side. "That sounds like an enourmously great idea! Rince has the strangest scrolls I'm sure he's dying to try out... With a bit of coercion of course. I myself have some useful enchantments that I'm sure can be helpful with your endeavor." Andrew seems to want to say something but nods. Defeated in a way but also kinda happy. "Again, I'm very grateful for your help. Let's hope we can all survive this."

The meeting with Rince is kinda short and boils down to him wanting Aned and Larimar at the top of the tower that one of them has a good shooting position and the other hopefully a good starting position to fly and the two of them together can hopefully bring down any owls the enemies have with them. He is sure he can have a protection of sorts ready till tomorrow but can't tell how effective it will be.

Show
    If there is anything else bring it up here, if not please give a short description if you want to help in advance in any way and if you're ready to start the little siege.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina will just work on any heavy lifting the little rabbite community made need help with, and prep for her gate defense...

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

Overall, I need AC and Con Boosts, and probably protection from arrows if anybody has it. Given she's packing lycanthropy, strength uppers aren't a priority compared to the others things. Protection from energy would probably be helpful but do we even know what kinds the bad guys would be bringing?

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney spends some of the remaining time with her kids, and with the rabites and silktail of the recently arrived group. She'll also hang with Mart again, to show him around town.

At the start of the next day, Coney will bind Focalor instead of Malphas. This means that she weeps constantly.

Spoiler: Focalor
    Show
    Focalor's abilities:
    Aura of Sadness: You emit an aura of depression and anguish
    that overtakes even the strongest-willed creatures. Every
    adjacent creature is overcome with grief, which manifests as
    a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks,
    for as long as it remains adjacent to you. You can suppress or
    activate this ability as a standard action. Aura of sadness is a
    mind-affecting ability.
    Focalor’s Breath: As a standard action, you can exhale toward
    a single living target within 30 feet. That target is blinded
    for 1 round unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save. Once you
    have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.
    Lightning Strike: Once per round as a standard action, you
    can call down a bolt of lightning that strikes any target you
    designate, as long as it is within 10 feet per effective binder
    level of your position. The lightning bolt deals 3d6 points of
    electricity damage, plus an additional 1d6 points of electricity
    damage for every three effective binder levels you possess
    above 5th. A successful Refl ex save halves this damage. This
    ability functions outdoors, indoors, underground, and even
    underwater.
    Water Breathing: You can breathe both water and air
    easily.